Sunday, November 15, 2009

Kansas neutralizes NU’s Suh

Kansas linebacker Arist Wright hits Nebraska running back Roy Helu Jr. as he bobbles the ball during the second quarter, Saturday, Nov. 14, 2009 at Memorial Stadium.

Videos

Kansas vs. Nebraska: then and now

video thumbnail

Videos from KU's games against Nebraska from the past several seasons.

Reader poll

Which of the KU football team's losses was the most frustrating to watch?

• Colorado 35% 888 votes
  • Oklahoma 1% 46 votes
  • Texas Tech 4% 120 votes
  • Kansas State 31% 791 votes
  • Nebraska 21% 552 votes
  • Undecided 5% 128 votes

2525 total votes.

Reader poll

Who is your favorite KU senior captain?

• Todd Reesing 30% 35 votes
  • Jake Sharp 6% 7 votes
  • Kerry Meier 45% 52 votes
  • Darrell Stuckey 18% 21 votes

115 total votes.

For a Kansas University offensive line that seemingly had regressed in recent weeks, the prospect of going against Nebraska defensive tackle and All-American candidate Ndamukong Suh didn’t seem like an overly promising venture.

Unlike last season, however, when the 6-foot-4, 300-pound senior finished with 12 tackles (four for loss), 2.5 sacks and caught a two-yard touchdown pass against the Jayhawks, Suh had a rather quiet performance during the Huskers’ 31-17 victory, finishing with just three tackles and two quarterback hurries as Nebraska’s highly touted defensive front failed to cause much noticeable mayhem.

“I think (we) did a pretty good job,” KU coach Mark Mangino said of the team’s performance against Suh. “He wasn’t as big a factor as he’s been in other games. He’s an awfully good player. We just tried to neutralize him a little bit and tried not to let him dominate the line of scrimmage.”

Kansas’ offensive lineman Trevor Marrongelli, a red-shirt freshman who made his first career start last week against Kansas State, was expected to earn the unenviable task of lining up directly across from Suh, but was relieved by sophomore Jeff Spikes, who made his first start of the season at right guard.

Mangino said he couldn’t give a full evaluation of Spikes’ play at the position —it was the first time he’d started at right guard in his career — until after he’d reviewed game film, but he seemed pleased enough with the performance of the line as a whole.

Kansas quarterback Todd Reesing was sacked just once and looked to have plenty of time to throw against a Nebraska front that has been touted in recent weeks as one of the nation’s best.

“Everyone was talking their D-line up all week, (saying) our guys are undersized and overmatched,” Reesing said. “And our guys played their hearts out, man.”

If there was a negative, however, it was the team’s inability to develop a consistent run game.

The Jayhawks failed to crack 100 yards on the ground for the fifth straight game, finishing with 99 yards on 29 carries.

Still, the consensus was that the offensive line is making progress.

“If there’s ever a problem, they’re going to switch things up until they find a solution to it,” Opurum said of the personnel changes. “They did a nice job for the most part in protection, and in the run game things looked a bit better. But each week they need to get better and keep working on the things they need to do.”

Briscoe mum about future: As of now, the NFL Draft is not something Kansas junior wide receiver Dezmon Briscoe is particularly interested in discussing.

“A bunch of players came up to me and asked me, but this is something I’m not even thinking about,” said Briscoe, who finished with four catches for 77 yards and a touchdown. “I’m focusing on Texas right now.”

Bits and pieces: Saturday’s sell-out crowd of 51,525 gave Kansas an average attendance of 50,581 this season, second in Kansas history only to last season’s average of 50,907. … Briscoe took over sole possession of eighth place in the Big 12 career receiving list Saturday, passing three players.

Comments

minnhawk84 4 years, 11 months ago

Meatsauce: What, no comment? A guy who has never played right guard before handled him just fine during the game. Guess he decided to take the day off, huh?

tdub 4 years, 11 months ago

I was thinking towards the end of the game how few the opportunities were for the NU faithful to Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh. Unbelievable that it didn't help us win.

babyjay1 4 years, 11 months ago

Rock on Jayhawk Nation! We will be back next year! And, oh wait, first there's basketball season, which Meatsauce doesn't watch because he's hibernating in his cave pretending that basketball isn't a sport. Well, maybe he's right... maybe it isn't a sport in Nebraska????

huskermdb 4 years, 11 months ago

minnhawk84, jwliddell :

Suh was held all game long. Give me a break ! The best DT in College Football doesn't get to your QB because of holding that was never called. KU caught breaks all day long. If it wasn't for the refs bailing you out, you would have gotten smoked by more than 14 pts. Stick to basketball :-)

huskermdb 4 years, 11 months ago

jwliddell:

National Championships: NEBRASKA 5 -- kansas 0

Big 8 Championship: NEBRASKA 41 -- kansas 5 (1968 was last time, co-champions)

Big 12 Championships: NEBRASKA 2 -- kansas 0

Apples and Oranges, you guys are posers, stick to a girly game like basketball. Talk about dogs*&it, jwliddell your stinking it up around here...

babyjay1 4 years, 11 months ago

Oh my lord this is too funny!!!! You gotta love it when NU fans cannot STAND to talk about basketball and try to make it a non-sport. What a chicken way out! Hey, we're still here to talk about football. NU fans can only talk when they're winning and since that never happens in basketball, let's pretend it doesn't count! Yea, I'm sure you're having trouble figuring out basketball since no one in Nebraska plays the sport.... whatever! Here in Kansas, we play both sports so we have more to talk about! jwliddell - keep it up!

huskermdb 4 years, 11 months ago

It's a Football page and its Football season. Instead of being gracious in defeat, you guys have to dog players like Suh. KU did play their as@ off, had a good game plan, was in a position to win. But you lost ! Your own players accept it, you should too.

Go Big Red !

cthusker 4 years, 11 months ago

If you don't believe Suh is the real deal you really don't know anything about football. Watch where he's drafted in the NFL and it will tell you all you need to know. KU did a great job neutralizing him yesterday with a great offense scheme. Hats off to KU coaching staff... I don't believe the refs had much to do giving Suh an off day. He is probably the BEST defensive down lineman in the country. You don't want to believe it fine.

It was anyone's game going into the last 7 mins. NU came up big end of story. All the crap about refs is just that... on both sides. As for Texas we need to beat KSU this week. I believe that will happen because it's in Lincoln and we have more talent! KSU DOES NOT impress me at all. The Huskers are the ONLY team in the North that has ANY prayer at beating the Whorns! It's called defense and that always gives you a chance.

Hats off to KU for playing a tough hard fought game! Hawks football has come a long ways the past 7 years and I give them credit. How about a little credit to one of the best programs in the history of college football.. Nebraska! You're BB has been one of the best the past 50 years... you ARE a BB school like it or not! We are a FOOTBALL school like it or not!

The Huskers will be the dominant force in the Big 12 North for a long time now. We have the right HC and talent levels are rising now. For the record I'm a huge BB fan and live in CT and root for UCONN! I'm sure KU fans know all about UCONN basketball programs both men and women! Combined they are probably the best in the country the past 10 years! Good luck to KU and hope you can squeak into a bowl game. Keep that streak alive........... Cya next year in Lincoln...

grittysker 4 years, 11 months ago

jwliddel and babyjay1- Wow, you clowns are on your own sites sounding stupid...again. You say you play both sports in football and basketball at KU? Well, what is KU's big twelve record in football this year? KU basketball = greatness and that cannot and will not be argued. But you talk big twelve championships in all men’s athletics? Get on the big twelve site and look that stuff up before vomiting your idiotic nonsensical comments...NU is doing just fine in athletics (both mens/womens) and even more so in academics...

SDsker 4 years, 11 months ago

jwliddell - stop now, you're just sounding more and more like an a$$clown every time you type. Nice hair BTW...Michael Bolton called - he wants his look back.

Suh was held on damn near every play I was watching him specifically. Whatever...can't block him, then just hold him and hope you don't get called. When he gets drafted in the top 3 be sure to call up that team and let them know he's no good.

Cry me a river on the other calls...we've been screwed all year long. Your claim of OPI on Niles Paul's receptions is BS...watch the plays, both players are fighting for position, including the defender. He didn't push off on either catch, but keep crying if it makes you feel better. Your OPI call was because your TE leveled our LB on a pick...pay attention. Better yet, stick to Bball since you obviously don't understand football.

babyjay1 4 years, 11 months ago

Yes, grittysker, we do play both sports. Not sure I said anything about a Big 12 championship in football. If/when that happens for us, then I'll say it! I guess we should be honored that you NU fans keep showing up here to keep this going - it means you feel threatened. If we were nothing, why bother? Thanks!

bayareajhawk 4 years, 11 months ago

jwliddell, I'm enjoying your work. Keep it coming. One thing I want to call attention to is:

"Suh was a joke. He got handled."

Suh is not a joke. He is one of the best defensive players in college football, and probably the best DL in the land. Last year, he pretty much beat us by himself. This year, he was slated to go up against a redshirt freshman making only the second start of his career

And he got handled! I was at the game and I couldn't believe it. He will likely get drafted pretty quickly on Draft Day, and it bodes well for our young offensive line that they were able to shut him down. To paraphrase Herm Edwards, they can build on this.

It sucks that we couldn't capitalize. Once again, we beat ourselves by dropping balls, missing tackles and getting bad penalties at crucial times. We have not been beaten soundly by anyone we've faced this season (though that might change this Saturday in Austin). We started this season by beating 5 different teams, but we followed that up by beating ourselves 5 different times. It's not what we wanted, and once again it all comes down to Mizzou. Defeat the enemy and we might go bowling. Lose to them and we will hear about it for a long time. I shudder to think about it.

But guess what, Husker fans -- it's basketball season!

Hope you enjoyed your 14 point victory, cause we're about to hang a couple of 40 point beatdowns on your bunch this winter. How it must rankle that we are competitive with you in your "dominant" sport while we are actually dominant in ours...

suttonku 4 years, 11 months ago

Hahahahaha blame the refs that Suh didnt get a sack you sound like Iowa fans...Sack up...I knew we werent going to win the game but the job KU did on Suh was nothing short of greatness. I accept losing, why cant you all accept that Suh got his ass handed to him?

You guys can have your major sport in football and we will take our major sport in basketball...You wanna match up resumes? We have the most conference titles in any sport out of any team in the country...We both have 5 NCs...But we invented the game...Did NU invent the game? Nope.

Go back to your shanties and just continue the losing trend that NU has...Personally I think You will lose your final 2 games and not make the Big 12 championship slaughtering.

SDsker 4 years, 11 months ago

Keep personifying the typical Jayhawk fan...talk a bunch of smack at the beginning of the year, and then turn the talk to hoops when your football season goes down the crapper. LMAO, stay classy, Lawrence!

shelleysue 4 years, 11 months ago

I agree that our mistakes have cost us 4 of the last 5 games. It's a huge disappointment for sure. And I definitely wanted better for our senior because even NE fans have to admit that there were some very talented players in that group who did A LOT for KU football.

(I was disappointed in the number of NE fans but VERY proud of KU fans and all the noise - so thank you. It was great. I stood and cheered the whole game. The 'fans' behind us weren't there - sold their tickets to NE fans - no surprise)

I think there are some things you NE fans are missing. KU has not been a "storied" football program but in recent years with the help of Coach Mangino KU football is fun again. The atmosphere around Memorial Stadium on game day is amazing and KU fans have pouring into the stadium on game day. We're having fun because we're having winning seasons and going to bowl games. Not to mention that Orange Bowl championship. I really don't think any of us except a BCS national championship any time soon. We're passionate about KU and we support our Jayhawks no matter what. Even when we lose in the first round of the NCAA tournament or when an expected amazing season turns out like 2009. We come on this board to share our feelings. We don't go on a Nebraska site and bash you. Perhaps next year you can give us all a call and meet up on game day. Let us know your feelings in person. What?! That's what I thought. You speak volumes as the type of people you are by coming onto our message board - there's no reason to argue with you because you say it all yourselves.

I also suspect that other teams in the Big 12 cannot stand the fact that the school who dominates the sport of basketball year after year could also be successful in the other major sport. But get over it we already have been and the year was 2008.

I'm sure that a lot of you will disagree with me but as a lifelong Kansan I will be rooting for KSU this weekend.

Rock Chalk!!

shelleysue 4 years, 11 months ago

SDskr - please remember that you NE 'fans' are on a KU message board. What the hell do you expect when you all come on here spouting your crap??? Talk about class.

suttonku 4 years, 11 months ago

No kidding! get off our site...Keep talking about football because it wont matter when you get smacked by UT in the championship game...Then I want you to come back on our site and talk about how good NU is...NU is a joke of a football team, they lost to ISU for cryin out loud! Take your crappy overrated football program and shove it! Obviously our rising program threatens you tremendously otherwise you wouldnt be on here.

Stay classy rednecks!

shelleysue 4 years, 11 months ago

We're on the opposite side in section 23.

This is why I have come up with the definition of a fair weather fan: A fan who sells their game tickets for senior day to opponent's fans.

Idiots. And don't even try to tell me you aren't a fair weather fan because the fact that you sold your ticket to SENIOR day is absolutely pathetic.

I want to give kudos to the five ticket holders in front of us. They didn't come to the game but at least they didn't sell their tickets to NE fans!

suttonku 4 years, 11 months ago

I think even Suh would admit that he was taken out of the game against KU and he would say the most important part is that they got the win. The concerning thing for NU fans should be that KU wrote the book on how to take him out of the game...Hope KSU and CU were watching this game...I was going to cheer for NU but now I just want them to lose lose lose...I thought about it for a while and I could care less if KSU wins the north and gets killed by UT...But if NU happens to win the north I guess it wont be so bad to watch them get killed by UT either.

sam26ernc 4 years, 11 months ago

I'm a long time friend of Mark Mangino. Let's get it straight people in Kansas this guy was your hero a couple of years ago. He got you guys out of the gutter and back on top again. You lose some games and now you want his head on the chopping block. All I know if he goes you losing one dedicated football coach that puts his heart and soul in everything that he does on and off the field. A great Son, father, grandpa and friend you will never find like him. A dedicated family man. Hey Mr. AD whats your problem? Why don't you try to settle this problem instead of making it worse. What kind of man are you? I think a real coward. Get some balls and get this thing straighten out instead of whining. Your going to be sorry Kansas Jayhawks if you leave this guy go. He can go anywhere he wants to go. You know what? He will win and make young men proud that he is there coach..Get a life...