Monday, March 2, 2009

Reed has big game in front of hero

Kansas defenders Mario Little, left, and Tyrel Reed look to trap Missouri guard Marcus Denmon during the second half Sunday, March 1, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas stomps Missouri with 90-65 victory

Less than a month ago, the Kansas men squandered a 14-point lead and fell in Columbia 62-60.

Audio clips

2009 KU-MU March 1

Tyrel Reed remembers the day in high school when he took a recruiting trip to Kansas State.

Just a few feet in front of him, mega-recruit Michael Beasley received a loud ovation from the Wildcat students while walking across the Bill Snyder Family Stadium turf.

Reed, meanwhile, was the recipient of a smattering of boos as he moved toward his seat.

For a while, the Burlington native couldn’t figure out why he was getting such a cold reception.

“Then,” Reed said, “finally it hit me.”

Though he hadn’t even thought about it beforehand, Reed went on the recruiting trip to Manhattan wearing a black Chicago Bulls jersey — one of former KU guard Kirk Hinrich.

“Yeah, I probably shouldn’t have done that,” Reed said with a smile, “but I’m here now, and I’m glad I did.”

Reed’s strong performance in Kansas University’s 90-65 victory over Missouri on Sunday might have been even more special because it was in front one of his childhood heroes.

Hinrich, who sat behind KU’s bench, had his jersey retired in a halftime ceremony Sunday.

“He’s one of the all-time greats to ever play here at KU,” Reed said. “I grew up watching him and loving to watch him play. He deserved everything he got, and I’m sure the fans were happy that he was here.”

Reed showed Hinrich-like accuracy from beyond the arc during Sunday’s game.

Reed, a sophomore, finished with nine points on 3-for-4 three-point shooting. He also added three assists and no turnovers in 18 minutes.

“I love big games like this,” Reed said. “Playing Missouri, our rival, and being a Kansas kid, I grew up watching this game and loving it. It’s just awesome to be a part of it now.”

One of Reed’s biggest threes came with 15:02 left in the second half.

The Tigers were on a 12-4 run — cutting KU’s lead to 54-35 — and at that point, Allen Fieldhouse seemed to be lacking energy.

Reed drained a guarded three to get his team going again, and 40 seconds later, Sherron Collins followed with another trey to put the Jayhawks back up by 25.

The Jayhawks were 8-for-14 from three-point range against the Tigers on Sunday (57.1 percent). MU entered the game tops in the Big 12 in three-point-percentage defense (30.9 percent).

In the first matchup, KU made just two of 15 long-range tries against MU (13.3 percent), while Reed was 2-for-7 from deep.

“Last game we played them, we just missed shots we usually hit,” Reed said. “Tonight, everyone was shooting the ball well. But give credit to Missouri. They are a great defensive team.”

Reed, who has scrimmaged against Hinrich in the past, said his favorite memory of the former KU guard was when he sprained his ankle against Holy Cross in the 2002 NCAA Tournament. Hinrich, almost miraculously, played in the next game two days later against Stanford, putting in 15 points and eight assists in KU’s 86-63 victory.

Reed said he was able to talk to Hinrich both before and after Sunday’s game.

“He just said, ‘Keep doing what you’re doing,’” Reed said. “But he’s in a league of his own.”

Comments

KU 10 years, 10 months ago

Reed is a couple inches shorter and not as quick, but he has the same heart of a champion as his hero, Kirk Hinrich.

utahjayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

KU.........I don't know.......they list Reed as 6'3" and Hinrich is also listed as 6'3" on the Bulls website. I would say Reed has comparable lateral quickness (he's very quick side to side) and folks have said he's the fastest on the team right now in dead sprints. I think Kirk really developed his ability to drive the ball during his career at KU and I'm hoping Tyrel does the same.

lonestarjayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

I agree that Reed is similar. The key will be does he have the genetic upside to develop needed athleticism. If it is there we will see a rapid development in the next 12 months if Tyrel buys into doing all that is necessary. Go Hawks!

John Randall 10 years, 10 months ago

You know, playing on your father's team (when his job depends on winning) has a cardiac effect, and doesn't hurt in the smarts aspect.

I went through school asthmatic, the smallest in my class, carried the med kit and water bucket until a growth spurt after sophomore year. My father was a teacher at heart, a coach by necessity. He quit coaching before my sr yr so I could play more than garbage time. I knew the assignments for every position on every play and what each teammate did well, when he needed support. Not big, not strong, not fast, tough as nails, and smarter than a whip. A defender who could 'read' the opponent's plays before the snap, with near perfect blocking technique. 1957 NWKs all-area honorable mention offensive center, def guard, 5'9", 135#. Never had an asthma attack after that season.

jaybate 10 years, 10 months ago

Reed the fastest in a sprint end to end on the team? Faster than Sherronatron and Quantum T? Faster than Mario Little? Faster than Brady?

Amazing if true. I would have bet the farm it were not?

Reed made me believe in his ability to improve his ability to improve his defense and quickness and speed, but I just do not see Hinrich like speed in him so far, or the kind of speed his teammates evidence already.

Still, some times the tasks a player is asked to perform for the team do not reveal all of his capabilities. And sometimes players develop physically in nonlinear ways.

It was hard to tell early in the season that Brady would turn out to be one of KU's best ball handlers bringing the ball up court against a press, or its highest percentage trey shooter.

Maybe the reason so many major guards are going elsewhere is the word is out that Tyshawn, Tyrel and Brady are a whole lot better than we realized early on. Players and their advisors are pretty coldly analytical about what levels of talent are already on the team. Maybe the OADs and their advisors have been more realistic than we have been in assessing KU's talent. KU's rebuilding year is, afterall, boasting a sparkling record and potential for a league title.

Speed or not, Reed broke out of his shooting slump at a great time. Rock on Tyrel.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 10 months ago

I think there is a fundamental difference between being "Quick" and being "Fast". I was always great in suicides because of the quick change in direction, but I wasn't always very fast. Maybe Tyrel isn't the quickest, which would be the likes of Sheron and Taylor, but is the fastest from start to finish. I do think think there is a difference though. How about that Whooping KU displayed yesterday? Wooohoooooooooooo

Jonathan Allison 10 years, 10 months ago

I was always the fastest my on HS team, but never the quickest. I wasn't big, and I wasn't heavy (probably about 5'10 and 140 back then) but the quickest guy on the team was about 3 inches shorter and about 20 pounds lighter. He was our lockdown defender because he was able to move side to side and make the instantaneous change of direction that I lacked, mostly because my legs were my weakness. The same legs that were strong enough to put me high enough to dunk a volleyball weren't strong enough stay in front of the other teams' best players.

It's strange to me to think that Tyrel is 6'3" because he looks like a little guy out there running like mad, getting through screens and trying to create the tiniest separation from his defender which is all he needs to catch and shoot. In the league I played HS basketball in, I think we only had probably 3 players who were taller than 6'3". They all played center, and most of them had lead feet. There was one exception. One team we played had one player who was 6'5" and he was the only decent player on the team. He was too athletic for our big man (6'4" and slow as a snail) I had to guard him all night. My only hope was to do everything within my power to make sure he didn't catch the ball. Luckily their guards were so bad they couldn't get the lob in to him.

kusarge 10 years, 10 months ago

Reed, a great spot shooter who gives exceptional defensive effort, is not comparable to Hinrich, one of the all-time great guards at Kansas on both end of the floor. Hinrich's greatness was that he could cut you with a 28-footer, or drive the lane for his signature pull-up, one-handed leaner in the lane. My KSU friends hated to see Hinrich pull up in the lane in a close game, as it was a sure-fire bucket (or three-point play). Reed doesn't have the slashing ability or point guard handling Kirk possessed yet. Not saying he couldn't develop it, though. Additionally, Hinrich started some games his freshman year, he was that good.

Also, Hinrich was faster up and down the court than the much-ballyhooed T.J. Ford of Texas. Still say, given his size and shooting ability, Hinrich is better. I hated when so-called "pundits" gave the upper hand to Ford. Where's he now? On his third NBA squad, or out of the game?

jaybate 10 years, 10 months ago

kushaw,

I am conceding quickness from the git go to the other players.

But I am amazed that he can pick'em up and lay'em down faster than Tyshawn Taylor; that guy is quick and fast and the same length.

GridironHawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Sprints at the end of practice rarely are won by the fastest guy. Heart and effort play a major role and that is probably why Reed "wins" the sprints.

tdub 10 years, 10 months ago

I'm willing to bet he's the fastest on the team, fatigued or not. He was a helluva track athlete before going 100% into basketball.

theno1kufan 10 years, 10 months ago

isnt it great that 2 homegrown kids from kansas are 2 key contributers on a team that has a chance to go to the final 4?

jaybate 10 years, 10 months ago

Lebowski,

Soph Brady looks to me as if he can score a lot more, and handle the ball a lot more, than he does, were he asked to do so next year. He plays lock down defense now. He plays 30+ mpg. And he shoots 45% or so from trey. He makes almost no TOs. He is a great FT shooter.

You say Soph Reed is not at his ceiling and he can already play 20mpg on a 24-5 team ranked 9th in the country and shoot around 40% from trey. He has learned to play sound, though not lock down defense by season's end. He makes almost no TOs. He's an adequate PG ball handler, though he is not asked to do that. He is a great free throw shooter.

Freshman Quantum T Taylor has started all season long and has begun to break out down the stretch. He shoots 39% from trey. He is probably quicker than most of the OAD guards in this years recruits. He has great hops. He is already a good enough defender that Self sometimes assigns him the opposing team's top guard. He may be getting over his shyness about contact. Self has said he could be a lock down defender.

Junior Sherron Collins, whom I can hardly believe is not ranked a first rounder in the NBA draft, is likely to come back, according to most around here.

Recruit Elijah Johnson is coming in with Self claiming he may possibly be the most athletic guard he has recruited to KU.

Juco transfer Tyrone Appleton, who before he was injured, was thought to be a PG candidate to back up Sherron and a very muscular defender in the RR mould. The guy can't even get anything but glimpses of the wood.

Gee, I wonder why Self is having trouble landing OADs this year. :-)

Matt Lacey 10 years, 10 months ago

Tyrel Reed reminds me most of Steve Alford from Indiana in the 80s.

jaybate 10 years, 10 months ago

Early on all I could see was Tyshawn. He's such a conventionally great looking prospect at the guard position. Reed just seemed a role player to me.

But as the season has progressed and Reed has kept getting better in small increments, while Taylor has alternated between great play and extended periods of being doped out by opposing defenses, it has begun to fascinate me how Taylor and Reed are perceived.

Reed has increasingly played about 5 minutes less than Tyshawn Taylor, but Reed continues to be perceived as a role player, where as Taylor is perceived a starter and potential superstar. I suspect that this is largely so, because Reed is not a leaper with an airborne game, but is rather playing the game horizontally much of the time. This makes Reed even more unconventional in today's game than, say, Brady, the 6'3" three position man, whom, it turns out, can probably jump with anyone on the team in the one step vertical.

The fact is Taylor and Reed are both role players this year. You want outside shooting, fewer TOs and getting physical at the two? Reed. You want penetration scoring, fast breaking and better defense? Taylor. As the minutes have made increasingly clear over the course of the season: KU needs both roles at different times. If Tyshawn could just spike his trey shooting up to 40-45% consistently, love contact, and protect the ball better, he would be more than a role player starting. If Reed could get quicker on defense, get to the rim better, and run the break better, he would be more than a role player subbing.

The question is: what's harder to develop--an aerial game or trey shooting?

I'd say an aerial, but again, the world is full of leapers with a 38% trey that can't take it to the 40%+ level where you have to be to be the team's first or second trifectator (ask RR). And penetration and getting to the rim are things, like rebounding, that can be approached horizontally, if one cannot build up the springs, at least in some cases (Nash and Stockton for two examples).

What would really be cool, is if they both work on these deficiencies in their games, as they certainly can do, and they come back next season able to do it all. Taylor and Reed at guards with Brady at the 3, all shooting over 40% from 3 and all defending at the level that Morningstar has defended this year (and with Elijah J and Appleton/Teahan backing up), would be a perfect back court for the front court of Cole, The Twins, Little and Withey.

On the other hand, what if Lance Stephenson shows up and can handle the ball, not turn it over, really put some mojo in the point the way Sherron has done, and is 6'5" tall, while Elijah turns out to be more athletic than either Taylor or Reed, and he can lock down defend from the outset and he likes contact, and can pot the triceratop at 40% plus.

Ouch! Taylor and Reed could both be role players again and neither could be starting.

Competition is a female dog in Division I.

jaybate 10 years, 10 months ago

Me too! Brady appears so conservative by nature that he needs some positive reinforcement for joining the aerial show. :-)

KULA 10 years, 10 months ago

Wow, K-Staters booed a recruit who was visiting their school? You knuckleheads don't deserve a good team.