Kansas defeats Baylor, 56-55

• 8 p.m., Jan. 7, 2015
  • The Ferrell Center, Waco, TX

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Late heroics lift Kansas at Baylor

Kansas guard Kelly Oubre Jr. (12) casts a menacing glare after forcing a Baylor turnover on an inbound play with seconds remaining in the game on Wednesday, Jan. 7, 2014 at Ferrell Center in Waco, Texas.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self discusses KU's 1-0 start in Big 12 play

Kansas University men's basketball coach Bill Self discusses KU's 1-0 start in Big 12 play, which came via a 56-55 win at Baylor.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Brannen Greene & Wayne Selden break down KU's wild win at Baylor

Brannen Greene & Wayne Selden break down KU's wild win at Baylor

Download podcast

KANSAS 56, BAYLOR 55

Box score

— Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self extended his right hand to Baylor big man Rico Gathers as he passed him in a Ferrell Center hallway a half hour after the Jayhawks’ thrilling 56-55 victory over the Bears.

“You were a monster tonight, bud,” Self told the 6-foot-8, 275-pound Gathers after the No. 12-ranked Jayhawks (12-2, 1-0) rode some late-game heroics by Wayne Selden Jr., Kelly Oubre Jr., and Brannen Greene — and an all-around effort by Jamari Traylor (13 points, five boards) and Frank Mason III (11 points, five assists) to victory over No. 21 BU.

Gathers, who grinned and said, “Thank you,” to Self pulled down 14 rebounds (nine offensive) and scored nine points — and at one point was poised to be the hero of the game after ripping numerous caroms and 50/50 balls away from Jayhawks in 29 minutes of action.

“He was great, really good. That was a good win for us,” Self acknowledged to reporters after the handshake.

The victory — KU’s 24th in a row in conference openers — was made possible by the Jayhawks’ own set of heroes.

First Selden, who hit one of his first six shots, cashed a deep jumper, a three and an eight-foot bank shot to give KU a 54-51 lead at 1:19.

“Not necessarily,” Selden (9 points, 4 assists) said, asked if he tried to take over late. “I know we had to step up and make plays and my teammates found me.”

Kenny Chery (25 points) cut the gap to 54-53 at 1:08.

The score remained the same as Baylor took the ball out of bounds under its own goal with 10.1 seconds left.

That’s when freshman wing Oubre (three points, 1-of-7 shooting, 24 minutes) subbed into the game and tipped the ball off in-bounder Chery out of bounds, to KU, causing a pivotal turnover and maintaining the one-point margin.

Brannen Greene, who had hit 15 of 15 free throws on the season, was fouled with 6.3 seconds to play and swished a pair of free throws to give KU a 56-53 lead. Baylor coach Scott Drew called a timeout to try to ice Greene on his second of two freebies.

“I’m a pretty confident free-throw shooter,” Greene said. “We talked in the timeout, me and Wayne. He was looking for me (to send the reliable Greene to line) and I was ready to knock them down.”

Things became even more interesting when KU coach Self elected to foul with his squad up by three, the idea to not let Baylor jack up a potential game-tying three, instead to go to the line for two foul shots down three.

So Mason fouled Chery, sending him to the line with 5.1 seconds left.

Chery hit both free throws and sliced the gap to 56-55.

Mason was fouled with 3.9 ticks left and KU up by the single point.

He missed his free throw, giving the Bears a chance to pull out a victory. Taurean Prince, who rebounded in the corner, passed to Chery, who fed Lester Medford near midcourt. Medford didn’t even get a shot off in time as the clock expired and KU had the victory.

“My deal is to foul under five (seconds, rather than let an opponent shoot a three),” Self said. “We fouled right at five. It worked out OK. The risk is you’ve got Gathers on the glass. We rolled the dice, played the percentages and got fortunate.”

Self continued ... “Usually when people foul late like that they are going to force their opponents to miss the second one. They decided to make it which was smart because there were five seconds left. There was too much time. It was the percentage play,” Self added, “but I’m not sure I wouldn’t play it out, make them drive it or whatever, but it worked out great. What happened is you could have  lost the game because we fouled and missed the free throw. Down one, all they’ve got to do is make a basket and we lose. The worse you can do is overtime the other way.”

No overtime this night, thanks in part to the 6-foot-7 Oubre, who harassed the 5-11 Chery on the inbounds pass.

“That was the play of the game,” Greene said. “Coach made the sub. He (Oubre) hadn’t played much the second half. Kelly came in with a good attitude. He knew we needed a stop. He has the longest arms. He’s our best defender, came in and made the play.”

Self noted: “It was a great play. We made the decision to go with Wayne instead of Kelly. Wayne scored seven straight points. Then we subbed Kelly for defense. He gets the steal to put us in position to win the game.”

It was pivotal that KU not allow the Bears a final shot. The Jayhawks hit 72.7 percent of their shots the final half to BU’s 39.3 (KU scored just 18 points the first half).

“The plan was to make it but it didn’t go through like that,” Mason said of his late free throw with KU up only one. “I think we were great on the defensive end. We didn’t give up any silly fouls and put them on the free-throw line (after the charity miss). I think we defended it really well. I at least thought they were gonna get a shot up but it was good they didn’t,” Mason added.

“I thought they were going to shoot deep instead of passing ahead,” Selden noted.

KU will next meet Texas Tech at 2 p.m., Saturday, in Allen Fieldhouse. The Jayhawks are happy to be coming off a huge victory instead of what would have been a disappointing defeat.

“It’s a good win and will be a good win at the end of the season. Baylor’s a good team,” Self said.

“We are a close-knit team,” assessed Greene. “It’s one of the reasons I feel we pulled out this game, the experience we had in past games. It’s been an up and down season for us, at times not the greatest for us. What is so special about this team is this year we’ve been put in situations we’ve had to come out on top an that’s what we’ve done.”

More news and notes from Kansas at Baylor

By the Numbers: Kansas wins 56-55 at Baylor

By the Numbers: Kansas wins 56-55 at Baylor

Comments

Joe Ross 4 years, 5 months ago

Imperfect win, but satisfying nonetheless. Signs of life.

Rodney Crain 4 years, 5 months ago

Agree 100%, imperfect is the right word. A win on the road against a ranked conference opponent is a big win.

Walter Bridges 4 years, 5 months ago

It was nice to see them go to the floor, play defense and get physical against a good conference team on the road. We didn't play great but we played good enough.

Russ McCaig 4 years, 5 months ago

...wish I could say that about Ellis; man, I wish he would play with vigor...to catch a pass at the high post and hold it low, letting them steal it, not rebounding, weak to the rim on offense; not sure whether he looks dejected or tired out there...love the guy, but want him to play with perceived passion...the look on Kelly's face in the above photo would never exist on Perry...

John Randall 4 years, 5 months ago

Rather than carping about Perry's sub-par stats, we should realized that Baylor's concentration on him opened up things for everyone else. Baylor has some players who are the type Perry has trouble against and they were quick to double on him so there were plenty of good shots available to our other players and we got barely enough of those to go in while PE was occupying at least one, often two of the best defenders.

Steve Zimmerman 4 years, 5 months ago

Mari is my hero in this win. He is a valedictorian on the court. He's our answer to zone-D besides Mason. I hope he keeps that aggressiveness driving to the basket. I know he can score. His passes to Cliff were great, too. Perry would've just settled for a J or waited to get trapped or locked his pivot foot away from basket while throwing a short hook. He's ok on the defensive end tonight, though. I hope Mari can consistently staying aggressive (while avoiding fouls) and making shots. We could really use another offensive force. A real strong one with high bball IQ!!

Jimmy Maxwell 4 years, 5 months ago

Agreed. Mari's IQ and toughness was the key to getting inside the zone D. This is such a huge win. I'm proud of all the boys... Baylor was in an early-season "almost-must-win" to keep their hopes of a Big 12 title. On a night when our outside shots were not falling for 3/4 of the game, the team battled and found a way to win. Huge props to the whole team!!

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 5 months ago

No doubt, this is a great and much needed win to commence conference play. This was the first time for me to watch the team live and came away super impressed with KO. Other than a poor shooting night, he played great!

Self is going to need to make a hard decision about Ellis. When Rico Gathers can drive around anyone for a layup, as he did to Ellis, that's a problem. I'd love to see KO get some PT at the 4 and give Mykailiuk some more PT. Other than his airball, Mykailiuk played very well in his 3 minutes. Selden's redeemed a horrible game with an heroic 7 points at the end of the game.

Alexander depressed me as much as much as KO impressed. The guy has talent and works hard but he does not know how to play bball when it comes to ball screens ... on offenses and defense! Twice tonight he misplayed passes to the rim for dunks. Unlike the previous two games when the passes were above the rim, the two misses tonight the passes were below the rim (about 9:33 in the first half and late in the game). Both times he gave a baby jump to catch the ball instead of taking it directly for the score. Both times the defense was allowed to recover resulting in no points. Alexander also played horrible defense for the most part, stood around on the zone, although a couple of times he stood in the right spot for dunks, and allowed Gathers a ton of rebounds but far outworking him.

Rodney Crain 4 years, 5 months ago

Excellent Post Suzi.

(for everyone else - I know we won the game I think it is great, it was a big road win, lots of nice things happened, this is just about Ellis and Alexander so relax please)

A few comments: What concerns me most about Ellis - For half of our games this season he seems over matched, cannot play simple defense (including how to box out for rebounds, and is tentative shooting around the rim. A fellow poster said that Ellis has hit his ceiling and this is all we can expect from him. If that is true and he cannot improve his game against average to great talent he no longer deserves to play 30 minutes a game. The issue is we do not seem to have anyone on the bench to replace him.

What concerns me about Alexander you have perfectly stated. He does not know how to play when it comes to screens, nor the nuances of the college game around the rim, nor how to play his position on defense. He can learn and develop his game to play and be effective but we cannot afford to him do it in meaningful games learning on the job any more. Self does not appear to have anyone on the bench to replace him either but at least he has not hit his ceiling.

The starters should be Mason, Selden, Traylor, KO and Alexander (the best of the worst we have). 1st off the bench, Greene, Ellis, Svi. When Graham can play, a candle has been lighted in prayer, he becomes the 1st guard off the bench. We cannot afford to have Ellis and Alexander in the game at the same time unless the other team is overmatched.

This lineup give us the best chance to win.

Hope Svi's parent visit helps him with his offense, it would be great to get 6-9 points a game from him. He does everything else good, but has to score if he is in there.

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 5 months ago

That in the correct starting lineup, IMO. Mykailiuk would be my second off the bench because of his huge upside. The Ukrainian can flat out play.

I also think Ellis has reached his potential. The LJW shameless hype over Ellis gets old.

Darwin Dandy 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree completely with what you posted but what concerns me about Ellis is that he let him missing shots effective his effort as you stated and his body language was never good the whole game and I think he should be benched and come in with the second unit as well not because he had a bad game but because he show me no fight or grit like KO or Mari

Walter Bridges 4 years, 5 months ago

Ellis is really Alice. I don't think he deserves to start based on his play but someone else has to make those decisions.

Michael Davis 4 years, 5 months ago

During the game while both Mari and Cliff were in the floor, my son commented on how well Mari and Tarik played together last year. We saw the potential for that happening for Mari and Cliff this year.

Russ McCaig 4 years, 5 months ago

My wife made/makes that same observation....

Rodney Crain 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree, we saw flashes of it last night, it would be great to see those two do more of that the rest of the season!

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 5 months ago

Yes they do play well together but Alexander needs to be ready and convert on those Mari passes.

Walter Bridges 4 years, 5 months ago

That is exactly what my wife commented on... Cliff and Traylor could be even better than Black and Traylor.

Jerry Collins 4 years, 5 months ago

One question, what part about "undisputable" do the refs not understand?

Patrick Bryant 4 years, 5 months ago

IMO - there didn't need to be a video review as it should have been a 5 second violation. It took a long time for them to get the ball in. Probably one of those scenario that the announcers always talk about - the ref's not interfering with the flow of the game.

Jerry Collins 4 years, 5 months ago

As much as it is against his nature, I think Perry needs to get mad. Instead of getting pushed around, do some pushing back. I can't remember the last time he fouled out of a game. Although it is not a good thing at least it would show he's in there mixing it up. I don't know if we could get by with it but maybe setting him out an entire game might work. I don't mean to get on a classy and admirable young man but he needs to make the change to realize his potential.

Andy Tweedy 4 years, 5 months ago

This game reinforced how little I know!!! WIth a handful of minutes left, I was thinking how little Selden was contributing, and then he scores in bunches! Early in the game I was thinking Jamari wasn't going to have a good game, and he ends up being the best player on court for stretches. Man, I'm glad I've never coached a game...for the kids who I'd be coaching!!!

Mike Riches 4 years, 5 months ago

My recap of last night's game, as related to my three-year old. (And proof that I have way too much time on my hands...)

Once upon a time a Jayhawk was invited to the nice green home of a Bear. When the Jayhawk arrived, he immediately started boasting that he was the mightiest animal in all the land, and had been so for over 10 years. The Bear argued, "You are not as mighty as you think. I have been getting stronger (though I have never been as strong as my wife, Lady Bear.) But I am taller than you and a little older than you, and you, Jayhawk, you are just plain mean. Every year you and thousands of your friends come into my home, and yet none of my friends are ever allowed in your home."

The Jayhawks replied, "That's not true! Your friends can come to my home if they want."

"No they can't" said the Bear. "There's never anywhere to sit!"

The Jayhawk looked around and agreed, "Yes there are plenty of empty seats in your home. But I will prove to you that I am not mean." And with that the Jayhawk produced a finely wrapped gift, and gave it to the bear. The Bear, not to be outdone, produced an even bigger gift and gave it to the Jayhawk. This gift-giving, back and forth, went on for just under 40 minutes.

Finally the Jayhawk was fed up and exclaimed, "I will prove to you that I am the mightiest! Look how strong I am!" And he clenched his fist, swung as hard as he could, and punched himself right in the face! While the Jayhawk was trying to regain his balance, the Bear shouted, "I am the strongest animal!" And then the Bear punched himself right in the face, so hard that he knocked himself out! The Jayhawk shrugged, and flew back to his home in Lawrence, still proud of its Self.

Meanwhile three zebras had been watching this whole encounter. The first said, "That was really weird. Usually when animals meet like that, they try to punch each other in the face." Another zebra agreed, and said, "Let's take our time watching a replay, before we have to go out in the cold..."

Russ McCaig 4 years, 5 months ago

That's 2 minutes of my time I'll never get back!....lol

Page Butler 4 years, 5 months ago

I didn't even read it. I could tell it was going to be a waste of time. :)

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 5 months ago

LOL....now THAT was an accurate and good summary of the game.

Both teams did play extremely hard .....and were indeed punching themselves in the face!

Walter Bridges 4 years, 5 months ago

You and Aesop should have lunch... Great job!

Len Shaffer 4 years, 5 months ago

Nicely done, Mike!

You did a good job of summing up the game and provided a few laughs. I'm not sure why Russ and Rodney had a problem with it, and why Page didn't give it a chance.

Steve Corder 4 years, 5 months ago

Road wins are always tough. Hold home court. 1 down 8 to go. 4 Ls wins it?

Gerry Butler 4 years, 5 months ago

Rodney totally agree. I 1st will say I have backed perry for the longest time, but I too have to agree perry is just not getting it done its just that a lot of times he looks totally lost, plays with no fire in his gut for a guy that is 6ft 8 is really really soft I can't remember ever seeing a guy his size get his shot blocked so much there is no aggression he needs to at this point to be coming off the bench MAYBE Jamari and Cliff isn't such a bad idea hell I dunno that's why I am not a coach but Perry is not getting it done. when Jamari got into foul trouble Perry played the same spot as where Jamari had and what happened turnover right of the bat seems like he tries to over think his moves to robotic having said this I really do like perry but if your not cutting then your not cutting it good road win any road win is good if you can steal a road win then your just that much ahead of the game BUT Perry I dunno, when he gets his shot blocked early then he is done for the game, no defense, no rebounding, turnovers man maybe if he sit like Devonte is having o do right now because of his foot maybe sometime just sitting watching the game develop on the floor maybe he can figure out what he needs to change, play with some heart, some fire, some aggressiveness we need Perry to help us ALL THE TIME, ALL GAMES GO HAWKS

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 5 months ago

Damm Gary. I'm no star when it comes to writing but your good post was hard to follow with two looooonnnnngggg run on sentences.

Mike Barnhart 4 years, 5 months ago

It's GERRY! Gerry's the illiterate run-on guy. It's right up there in bold letters. You had me looking back for a Gary somewhere.

(JK. For the love of God, don't start grading my grammar... yike's!)

Len Shaffer 4 years, 5 months ago

Gerry, to quote Pete Carroll, what's your deal???

I assume you want people to actually READ your posts, or else why take the time to write them? But if you don't include punctuation, it's much less likely that someone will make the effort to read them.

A few well-placed commas and periods can go a long way.

John Randall 4 years, 5 months ago

Not if someone has only four losses ...

Joe Norton 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree Rodney on your comments with Ellis. The only thing is who gets the minutes? With Alexander still learning it could hurt more than help. Maybe we swap the minutes around with Alexander getting 30m and Perry 20m with Perry still starting?

Walter Bridges 4 years, 5 months ago

You're right in that "who gets the minutes is the important thing but being a starter IS important to these guys and being a starter should be earned. Maybe in practice where we can't see it, Ellis outperforms the other players but in game times, he doesn't bring it.

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 5 months ago

Cliff can't play 30 minutes yet because he would foul out before he anywhere near 30 minutes.

Mick Allen 4 years, 5 months ago

Suzi and Rodney I totally agree with both your comments and I agree with your proposed starting line up Rodney. Perry is a great kid and I hate to be negative, but he is not our go to guy. As Jeff Gueldner stated on Metro Sports last night after the game, if Perry is not giving you offense he is a liability on the court. He is at the best a less than average defender and his rebounding is average. Gathers made him look like a child, although he can make a lot of players look like a child. In the first half we started attacking the zone on the base line with Perry, but he was unable to hit the 12' baseline jumper and when he did go to the cup he immediately got one swatted and reverted to his tentative offense. His body language was not good and obviously he has little confidence. One would think that his talents, or what we believed were his talents, would lend itself to playing the free throw line high post as Jamari did so well the second half, in that he has shown to have a good touch on a free throw line jumper and has been an adequate interior passer but he lacks the aggressiveness and confidence that Jamari demonstrated in taking the ball to the rim or the dump downs to Alexander. For a big,Jamari has a very quick first step off the bounce and is hard for a 4 or 5 to cover, although I would like to see him better able to consistently knock down the 12' to 15' jumper. He still makes some of the silly fouls he was making as a freshman as demonstrated by his 5th foul. He is not shy and the energy he brings was well directed last night, but needs to develop a better understanding of game situations, i.e. time, score and the importance of staying in the game when you are contributing as he was last night. I would bring Perry off the bench for the next few games and see if this taste of reality motivates him to be the offensive threat we need him to be. HCBS because of his loyalty to his starters and upper class men probably won't make this switch so as not to further damage his current delicate psyche. Two other passing thoughts, Kelly has fallen to in love with the 3. He needs to get back to being the slasher and opportunist that his skill set dictates. Jack, if you are out there, give Jamari some kudos for his game last night.Your criticism of him has often been warranted, but he was the impetus for us last night.

Rodney Crain 4 years, 5 months ago

Thanks Mick and another great post.

Jack he is right you got to give credit when its due. Jamari sparked us, got Cliff some confidence and helped us win that game.

You are right on spot Mick, Jamari has got to be smart when he is playing that well about picking up his 4th and 5th foul. He needs to think like a star player and let a guy score down low rather than risk a foul. It is hard, but he has to understand the pressure he is putting on their defense and how critical it is to winning the game. It is the W that you want and we needed him on the floor to finish that game. It worked out, but it would have been easier with him playing.

Tom Jones 4 years, 5 months ago

It's not about loyalty in Ellis' case, though.

Like it or not, Perry Ellis is KU's best post player at the moment, and he will likely still be at the end of the season. He will and should be getting more minutes than the other three.

Walter Bridges 4 years, 5 months ago

The statistics agree w/you but when comparing this years stats to last years, his numbers have gone down in almost every category. He is only one 3-point attempt away from his first 2 years combined and the percentage is way off.

He is down percentage and numerically in 2 point shots, 3 points, and FTs. Less rebounds per game and points per game despite more minutes per game. He has increased in turnovers per game. His body language is not good and he plays tentatively at times.

Maybe losing his starting position would be a good thing for him even if he plays the same minutes per game. Something needs to get himself going.

Mike Barnhart 4 years, 5 months ago

Perry make's his hay against inferior opponents. He really struggles against true D-1 talent.

Tom Jones 4 years, 5 months ago

Inaccurate. His average vs. ranked (and we're assuming this means they're "true D-1 talent") teams since the beginning of last year is 12.8 pts/game...a little above this year's average, a little below last year's. It's not about the talent of the team KU's playing.

He struggles against tall players because he can't jump and doesn't have great instincts on when go up and when to not.

This was apparent from the get-go (before the get-go for those of us who saw him play before he came to KU), but it was thought/hoped for a year or two that he would develop some better hops. Just hasn't happened. He plays small.

But KU's lack of a legit inside scorer has forced him to continue to try to be that guy some of the time, when he should be sticking with getting the ball around foul line depth and either shooting, driving and dishing or driving and going up strong on the rare occasion where he is more athletic than the guy who's guarding him.

He's actually good at this, but this year's team needs more from him than that until someone else steps up.

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 5 months ago

Welcome back Mick. I assume you just returned from a trip from Outer Mongolia due to the lack of comments. Every time Mason has a good game, which has been all of them, I expect to get some kind of "I told you so" comment from you.

Traylor is showing some serious skills. His ball handling and finishes at the rim were an incredible relief to experience, akin to the relief felt when one stops hitting oneself in the head with a hammer.

We will be attending the OU game on the 19th, the night before classes commence. Hope you can come over to you PKP house. Being a legacy brother, you get "free" parking.

Luca Rossi 4 years, 5 months ago

Great win last night, came down to the last two minutes which I expect to happen many times this year. It sure was ugly early on though, i was begging Self to put in Greene or Svi for some more offensive threats, scoring was barely existant in that first half.

As many have mentioned above, Perry is not playing great lately and does struggle against physical and/or height when matched up down low. He's also in a slump, even his outside/baseline shots aren't falling. Its never as good or as bad as it seems though. I expect him to bounce back and have some big nights for KU the rest of the year. My concern is that it appears as though he is trying to trim down rather than bulk up. Maybe Hudy can dust off the T-Rob workout plan and get Ellis on it. That guy Gathers on Baylor is only 6'8" i believe, that was suprising to me based on how easily he was able to out rebound everyone on our team considering he wasn't taller.

Lastly, I didn't think Alexander played that bad. He hasn't consistently been able to create scoring yet but I don't see him as a liability out there either. Thought he made a game saving block on a Baylor fast break in the last few minutes of the game, that was huge for us.

John Strayer 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm not so sure Bill Self will think Gathers played such a great game when he reviews the tape...Gathers gets away with a lot of push offs and arm extensions that if Alexander had tried those moves he would have fouled out. I would say at least 1/3 of Gathers offensive rebounds should have resulted in a foul on him. Saw several KU players have rebounding position only to be magically knocked off balance.

Luca Rossi 4 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, you might be right. There are definitely some games that KU has played this year that have been called much more loosely than others. KU seems to struggle when the refs allow the players to be physical inside.

Darwin Dandy 4 years, 5 months ago

Yeah agree but I expect that when we go on the road because we are the standard in the Big 12. But what I liked was they played thru it and rolled with the punches and for us to win the Big 12 and have a deep tournament run that's what it is going to take.

Dale Rogers 4 years, 5 months ago

One thing I hope the players see from the ending of this game, the way Self subbed in defense, the strategy of fouling, and so on, is that they have a heckuva coach and should listen to him, do what he tells them.

Bob Bailey 4 years, 5 months ago

Perry has a problem you may not recognize -- has to do with muscle memory. After the KY game, Perry went to work seriously on his close-by non-rim shots! He seemed to make progress -- but unfortunately his brain does not segregate free-throws from in-game shots. (Have never seen that before.) But they ARE different. He showed great progress in his nearby shots, but he started missing free-throws, clear down to 50% or less. TV didn't come to OH and haven't checked his %, but it seems easy to conclude that his shooting has gone awry.

Perry needs to work on free throws first. Help segregate them by 1. relearning skill 2. Practice free-throws with his eyes closed.. My sports training (limited, basically free-throws and driving the golf ball) says that muscle memory gets to be automatic with extensive practice with eyes closed.

Thereafter he should work on nearby-shots, mostly with a kind of devil-may-care attitude to try to get him locked into In The Zone. Every person may have different techniques that may work better.

If Perry would stay back a bit from the basket, keep the ball high, he could turn into the go-to guy. (Take it from me, being 87 and perhaps more 'observations' than any of you, my muscle memory theory works!)

Tyson Ailshie 4 years, 5 months ago

This may seem a little premature, but so be it. This team is beginning to remind me of the 2012 National runner up team. The gutty win against Baylor is the kind of game you have to have in tournament games. They were down by only 4 at the half after shooting 28%. They've had other games in non conference like this as well. Games AWAY from home. All the more impressive. They turned that Baylor game around in the second half and played some hardnose basketball. Were there mental lapses and mistakes? Yes. But they look like they can be a tight knit, dangerous team down the stretch. Was I happy about the 25 point loss to Temple or the drubbing by UK? Absolutely not. I was livid. I'm a fan. That said, I really do believe those games were an aberration. Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this team can be a great tournament team and take us further than we've been the last couple of years. They are developing the kind of fortitude it's going to take. I'm honestly really excited about this team (as opposed to a month ago). I will, however, be realistic and try not to get too high or too low. But, man, I promise you, I'm going to enjoy the ride! ROCK CHALK!

Darwin Dandy 4 years, 5 months ago

Perry should be a zone busting machine with his skill set. It's just very frustrating to see especially with the potential that I thought was there but the season is far from over and I still believe in this team. And was it me or did we not shoot the ball more especially with them being in a zone because I thought there were times that Selden had great looks at the basket and didn't shoot it. It was kinda pissing me off.

Mike Barnhart 4 years, 5 months ago

Before reading a bunch of comments today, I was very frustrated with Perry Ellis. I questioned his desire, his IQ and his personality but now I agree with Rodney, Perry has probably hit his ceiling.

Coach Self has a tough decision with Perry. As a cold blooded fan I'd like to see a lot less of him (this year AND next) but the coach (who's known Perry more than 10 years) might not be so ruthless.

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 5 months ago

Mike, that is really hard core. Like the rest of the Hawk universe, I'd like to see him take a seat on the bench to think a few things over.

However, Ellis is very talented and intelligent, first class sensitive person. People like Ellis, Selden, Lucas, and White are the types a father would love his daughter to date. We should all be proud he's a native Kansan and a Hawk.

However, we're talking about playing defense and overall with an agressive attitude, not dating. Self will NEVER ever give up on Ellis, nor should he. You can be sure Self will give him a swift kick where the sun rarely shines.

Mike Barnhart 4 years, 5 months ago

My point is that I was confused and just couldn't figure out the problem. I'm now thinking his skill set is what it is. He's an oddly smooth and graceful tall dude who lacks power and quickness. A point guard in a post players body.

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 5 months ago

A point guard can use some quickness.

I think you hit the right when you say he is smooth and graceful but lacks power and quickness. Also, his moves are very predictable. Everything I watch him drive, even I can predict where/how he will spin. As a result his shots are easy to block by a player with average length.