Thursday, January 8, 2015

Carlton Bragg ready to announce college choice

photo

Associated Press

Villa Angela-St. Joseph’s Carlton Bragg (31) goes up for a shot between Lima Central Catholic’s Jake Williams (40) and Dantez Walton (32) during the first quarter of the OHSAA Division III boys’ high school basketball championship game on March 22, 2014, in Columbus, Ohio.

Today is Decision Day for blue chip basketball prospect Carlton Bragg, who will announce for either Kansas University, Kentucky or Illinois at 1:45 p.m., Central time, at Villa Angela-St. Joseph High School in Cleveland, Ohio.

Bragg, a 6-foot-9, 225-pound senior power forward, who is ranked No. 14 nationally by Rivals.com, will attend a reception in the school’s Ministry Center where he, coach Babe Kwasniak and others are expected to make brief comments.

The decision is slated to be revealed at the twitter handle @realchalktalk shortly after the 1:45 p.m. announcement is made. David Cassilo of Cleveland.com wrote on Twitter on Wednesday that the Website is planning a live-stream of the event. His Twitter handle is @dcassilo.

KU appears to be in good shape to land Bragg. A pair of recruiting analysts — Jerry Meyer of 247Sports.com and Evan Daniels of scout.com — have cited the Jayhawks as the favorites.

Bragg, who attended KU’s Late Night in the Phog on an official recruiting trip, was named second team Division III All-Ohio in 2014 after averaging 18.7 points and 8.5 rebounds per game and helping the Vikings reach the state championship game. This season, he’s averaging more than 20 points and 8 rebounds per game for the Vikings, who are off to a 7-0 start with wins over national powers Archbishop Carroll and Arlington Country Day.

The four-year starter also has been named all-conference and all district multiple times. He helped VASJ to a 2013 Div. IV state title in 2013 and runnerup finish a year ago.

He previously had UCLA and Arizona on his list of five.

“I have taken my visits and I am ready to make the big decision. This will allow me to devote all my attention to winning a state championship at Villa Angela-St. Joseph,” Bragg told ESPN.com.

Last week, Kentucky coach John Calipari and U of I assistant Dustin Ford watched Bragg at the Cancer Research Classic in Wheeling, W.V. KU’s Bill Self and Norm Roberts had to cancel a planned trip because of weather concerns.

It’s said Bragg would like to be part of a package deal with No. 2-rated Jaylen Brown, a 6-7 senior from Wheeler High in Marietta, Georgia; and No. 18 Brandon Ingram, 6-8 from Kinston (North Carolina) High. Both are also considering KU and Kentucky.

Bragg received scholarship offers from more than 20 schools, including Indiana, Texas, Michigan State, UConn, Louisville, Ohio State and Pittsburgh.

More news and notes from Kansas at Baylor

Comments

Joe Ross 4 years ago

Wishful thinking...

IF we land Bragg,... IF Cliff stays, and IF we land Brown in a package deal with Bragg, we have a title shot.

Selden and Ellis likely return. Svi gets a little maturation and Mason is solid at the point.

We'd be a formidable team who would threaten to win a title, especially anticipating that much of the talent this year will declare for the draft.

Suzi Marshall 4 years ago

We have Bragg. Although I've never seen him play, if he can play defense, finish at the rim and stretch it, I believe he can come in and start at the 4.

After watching the team tonight, there should be no doubt Alexander will return next season and KO will be in The League. With the two open, KO gone and a possible Mickelson transfer, we can sign 4.

Aaron Paisley 4 years ago

Mickelson leaving makes some sense, but he doesn't have a pro future anyway so I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed.

Walter Bridges 4 years ago

Mickelson really can't transfer again. The NCAA give a player 5 years to use his 4 years of eligibility.

Luca Rossi 4 years ago

As Suzi pointed out to me earlier, its possible he could if he graduates this year at KU and takes advantage of the graduated player transfer rule which allows him to be eligible right away.

Asad Zoberi 4 years ago

I'd expect a few transfers as well, Greene, Lucas and Mickelson would be likely candidates

Jonathan Allison 4 years ago

I doubt Greene transfers. He really factors in on this team as a key reserve and as a true sophomore will likely be a star by his senior year.

As for Lucas and Mickey, Lucas is in his 3rd year and Mickey in his 4th. If Mickelson graduates then he may elect to transfer and be eligible to play immediately. He couldn't transfer D1 unless he graduates this summer. I'd doubt that Lucas would elect to transfer and lose a year of eligibility and only have one year left to play. I don't know what his academic situation is, but if he pulls a Tarik Black or a Nigel King and graduates in 3 years then he could transfer and play two years... that would be a possibility.

I doubt that any of Greene, Lucas, and Mickelson transfer.

Luca Rossi 4 years ago

I don't understand why you'd think any of these guys would transfer. Greene is blossoming this year, he played almost the whole game last night and is only a sophmore. Lucas has already redshirted and mickelson has already lost a year with his transfer to KU. I always was under the impression you had 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility with a few specific exceptions here and there. I suppose if they transfered to D2 or D3 they could be immediately eligible but I don't see that happening either. I'm not exactly sure what the transfer rules are anymore, I'm sure they've changed a little bit from when I was in school but this is how I remember them.

Unfortunately, if I had to put odds on someone dropping next year, at this point I'd bet it was Svi. Really hope he doesn't because he has the potential to be a tremendous player one day.

Asad Zoberi 4 years ago

Its simple, Playing Time affected by Logjam.

We know that Self plays 5 perimeter players - 4 getting major minutes and the 5th one on a game by game basis. At this time Oubre's stock is rising and he will most likely leave but I can't see Selden declaring for draft.

Then we will have Mason, Devonte, Selden, Svi already locked in for major minutes. If we sign Brown do you think he will be sitting on the bench. With recruiting world changing to OAD and TAD, I can't see Self sitting Brown for too long and he will be taking minutes away from Greene. As such I see him getting most impacted and a strong transfer candidate.

This is not new, we have seen it already, recently with White and Conner.

Luca Rossi 4 years ago

Meh, possibly... but history has also shown that Self tends to play vets over frosh often too. If Greene keeps improving his D like he has been, I can't see any frosh coming in and playing over him, he's just too good of a shooter. Plus, we always say it takes time to "learn Self's system." Greene would be way ahead of a frosh who is just starting out so it would be his spot to lose. Self says himself that he thinks BG is a NBA talent. Sure they will probably share time but I see BG as a starter next year.

Suzi Marshall 4 years ago

If Mickelson graduates he will be eligible immediately to play. I hope he stays but he's earned the right to look around and explore options.

Walter Bridges 4 years ago

Five-year clock: Division I student-athletes have five calendar years from the first enrollment at a two- or four-year school to compete four seasons of competition.

Mickelson will NOT be transferring. Neither will Greene whose 1st year to 2nd year improvement and playing time will be reason enough to NOT transfer.

Dale Kroening 4 years ago

Thank you Walter . The ONLY possible transfer is Hunter so long as he graduates . Landen isn't transferring nor is Greene. SMH....

Luca Rossi 4 years ago

Would be sweet to land a solid recruit like Bragg. Would be awesome if he was joined by Brown and Ingram too as the article mentioned. Bragg was quoted in saying that those three talked about doing a package deal to KU on their official visit so its definitely a possibility.

Doesn't the handle @realchalktalk sound like it could be a KU handle? I checked and its not. Its a site for Ohio specific news, etc.

John Randall 4 years ago

Specifically, NorthEastOhio specific sports reports.

Jonathan Allison 4 years ago

Sure would be nice to get this kid, but as for Jaylen Brown, I'd be surpised if he commits to KU considering we've got Greene, Svi, and possibly Selden coming back (with KO looking like a possible lottery pick).

I hope that coach is still all-in on Zimmerman. Back in the fall it seemed like we had a good shot at him, but I haven't much about him in months.

Glen Miller 4 years ago

From what I understand, we don't have much of a shot at landing Zimmerman.

Aaron Paisley 4 years ago

Zimmerman made comments that he waiting to see if the coaches at Arizona, Kansas, and Kentucky would be there next season. Only one of those three schools is at risk of having its head coach jump to the NBA. It could also be a hint that Cal is seriously considering going back to the NBA as well.

Joe Ross 4 years ago

I havent seen anything about Cal going to the NBA since after KY lost the NC game. Now think about this: If there is no threat of Cal going to the NBA, and if Zimmerman's decision is dependent upon whether or not one of those three coaches goes to the NBA, then it stands to reason that KY is not his number 1 choice. I'll leave you all a little time to figure that one out...

Jonathan Allison 4 years ago

could Zimm be catching wind that Self is ready to make the jump? Surely Sean Miller isn't on the NBA HC radar. I'd rather have Self than Zimm, but both would be better.

Aaron Paisley 4 years ago

Cal's name pops up as an NBA candidate happens EVERY offseason. His name was very strongly tied to Cleveland over the summer before Blatt got the job and with the way he is struggling with that group, expect to hear Cal's named linked to the Cavs again this offseason. Self won't seriously consider the jump until Tyler graduates and Sean Miller has never been mentioned as an NBA candidate. Zimmerman was specifically talking about Cal with that statement he made and since Kentucky's top 3 NBA prospects for the 2015 draft are all bigs, there's playing time available immediately for Zimmerman there without a lot of competition.

Robert Brock 4 years ago

I watched Bragg at the adidas Gauntlet tournament last April. I came away with mixed feelings about his game:

He is a 4 with good footwork and shooting ability. The guy is going to be a scorer at the college level. He has a post up game but looked a lot more comfortable as a face up 4, in my opinion.

He is a good rebounder who gets in position and blocks out when the ball is in the air. Good anticipation. As the tournament went on, however, I felt that opposing bigs were beating him up and that he wilted when things got rough. Same with D. He has skill and quickness, but his toughness was questionable.

He reminds me of the good and the bad with Perry Ellis. A 3/4 tweener. If he would get tougher...maybe a Morris-type player.

Jonathan Briles 4 years ago

I would love another morris, but hate another Perry. My hope is still to land Zimmerman. Wether that be with or without Bragg. I want the 7 footer and then Bragg would just be icing.

Walter Bridges 4 years ago

Have you seen Markieff Morris's numbers this year? He has really upped his game.

Robert Brock 4 years ago

I was talking about Marcus. When he was at KU.

I couldn't care less about the NB friggin A.

Michael Bennett 4 years ago

Would we really want Bragg, Brown and Ingram in a package deal? That would potentially fill up all available scholarships, with none left for a true center (the most glaring need). I'm not sure that would help the title chances at all next year. Plus it would add to the logjam at the three and maybe create chemistry issues there.

Walter Bridges 4 years ago

Seeing that we have landed exactly 0 recruits this year...I think the answer is a definite YES although Bragg is making his choice, not any package deal.

Gerry Butler 4 years ago

might as well put my 2 cents in. I believe we will get Bragg I mentioned some time back I thought Carlton was ours to lose, however sayin that I DID start to have some doubts the way he is talking about Kentucky, but another site out of Kentucky sayin they thought with him announcing earlier then previously said plus Kentucky still in on so many bigs said they thought he was KU"s now watch him throw a real wrench and announce to Illnois that would be the craps lol. I know there has been talk about Jaylen and Brandon don't think that's going to happen 247 shows us in really good shape for Malik Newman and Brandon if we could get 1 or the other to go with Bragg would be a good get, just feel there isn't much chance for jaylen and I believe Zimmerman is goin to end up staying home at UNLV. as far as transfer I don't see ANY. Greene is not starting to place a key for the team, Lucas no, and Mickelson has already transferred to KU don't think he is looking to transfer again. I think in reality Kelly is the only one probably leaving

Aaron Paisley 4 years ago

Mickelson graduates this year, that's why he's a transfer candidate. It's the same rule that let Tarik Black transfer to KU.

Walter Bridges 4 years ago

Didn't know that..thanks. Then he might transfer.

Glen Miller 4 years ago

My question is, if we land Bragg..... does that mean Diallo goes elsewhere? They are similar in size and play the same position. I'd rather have Diallo myself. Zimmerman sounds like he is a long shot at best. Looks like he's soured on us for whatever reason. Outside of those guys..... we aren't on anyone with size, so I'm a bit worried unless Maker reclassifies. Sounds like he's leaning our way at this point. Could we have another Wiggins moment where we get a last second gift?? At this point I look for Bragg or Diallo to come here and the other to go to Kentucky. Newman, Brown, Ingram and Zimmerman will go elsewhere. I don't see a lot of promise at this time based off of what I am reading and hearing. At one point in time, we were looking solid for Zimmerman and Brown though so things could change. I will be anxious to see who we get.

kellerman411 4 years ago

Random information here.. Wiggins is averaging 21.5 points over the last 8 games. He is the 3rd rookie in team history to score 20 points in 5 consecutive games. He is really, really starting to look the part. Ben Mclemore is playing good too, his numbers are way up from last year and he has found some efficiency. KU is finally building it's NBA resume.. hopefully Embiid turns into a solid piece. That stuff is important for recruiting whether we want to believe it or not.

Walter Bridges 4 years ago

And don't forget Markieff who is playing at a very high level this year.

Aaron Paisley 4 years ago

I don't know Landen's academic status is in regards to when graduates, but I wouldn't be shocked if Lucas ends up a graduate transfer as well.

Gerry Butler 4 years ago

I saw just the other day Diallo is now more interested in Iowa State. we were leading on him, now does that mean he caught word te Carlton was coming here? who knows he would be a nice get, but Carlton is a nice get too

Luca Rossi 4 years ago

YEP! Couldn't hear it too well but he picked Kansas! Exciting day for KU fans! :)

Thomas Michaud 4 years ago

That was funny ... Kentuc ... er. Kansas ... Take two was much smoother. Woot! Really happy to have Carlton as part of the KU family :-)

Jonathan Allison 4 years ago

please tell me that he didn't really do that! Was there a hat fake to go along with the studder-step?

Thomas Michaud 4 years ago

As you probably already know by now, he started saying "Kentucky" when he donned a KU hat. He caught himself (nervous laugh) and then said "Kansas". It was followed by a redo of the whole thing—which I thought (initially) the live feed was suddenly replaying his announcement. The second time through was flawless. Everyone had a good laugh.

Rodney Crain 4 years ago

LOL we can't catch a break, wears a KU hat says Kentucky. Mercy, that was quite a show.

Yeah I guess. At least we have a commit in the class.

We need 2-3 more, a lot of help!

Jonathan Allison 4 years ago

I'm getting tired of all of the Perry Ellis bashing on this site. He's an excellent person and he's given his heart and soul to the team for 3 years. All he's done this year is lead the team in pts and rebounds. So he hasn't lived up to our lofty expectations... but that's just as much our fault as his.

He's a kid. Pick on someone your own age. Pick on Mike Gundy. He's a man.