Georgia Tech defeats Kansas, 66-24

• 11:30 a.m., Sept. 17, 2011
  • Atlanta, Georgia,

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Buzzkill: Jayhawks suffer first defeat in record-setting 66-24 loss to Georgia Tech

Kansas University senior Bradley McDougald looks at the scoreboard late in the Jayhawks' 66-24 loss to Georgia Tech on Saturday, Sept. 17, 2011 in Atlanta.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Turner Gill

Kansas coach Turner Gill talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 66-24 loss to Georgia Tech on Sept. 17, 2011, in Atlanta.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU defensive coordinator: 'What happened today is on Vic Shealy'

Kansas defensive coordinator Vic Shealy took responsibility for the defensive performance in his team's 66-24 loss to Georgia Tech on Sept. 17, 2011.

Download podcast

— If reports are true that Kansas University has become a target of the ACC, it’s a safe bet the Georgia Tech football team is OK with it.

In a game that may soon be known a conference match-up, ACC powerhouse Georgia Tech roughed up Kansas, 66-24, Saturday at Bobby Dodd Stadium and reminded the Jayhawks that they play football in this conference, too.

Behind 768 yards of total offense and three scoring drives that took just one play, the Yellow Jackets exacted revenge for last year’s loss in Lawrence and shredded the Kansas defense in just about every way imaginable.

“This team here, they can really expose you,” KU coach Turner Gill said of GT. “Unfortunately, we did get pretty much exposed in the running game and the passing game.”

At least in total yardage terms, Saturday’s loss was KU’s second worst defensive performance of all-time. Only Nebraska, with 799 yards in 1978, gained more against a KU defense.

Georgia Tech’s 604 yards rushing also represented school records for both sides. Prior to Saturday, the previous record for rushing yards by a KU opponent belonged to Nebraska, which, in 1983, rushed for 567 yards in a 67-13 victory in Lincoln, Neb. The quarterback on that NU team? Turner Gill. Although it’s unlikely that Gill took much credit for Nebraska’s performance in that one, he shouldered all of the blame for Saturday’s debacle.

“I’m always accountable,” he said. “I’m the head football coach. Everything needs to go right here on me. I understand that.”

Despite staying close for two quarters — KU trailed just 24-17 at halftime — the Jayhawks helped Georgia Tech rewrite several school, conference and national records with their inability to stop the Yellow Jackets’ ground game.

Not only did Tech set school records for rushing yards and total yards, it also eclipsed the ACC record for rushing yards in a game and helped break a national record for yards per attempt (minimum 50 rushes). Georgia Tech’s whopping 12.1 yards-per-carry snapped the previous NCAA record of 11.9, set by Alabama when they tallied 748 yards on 63 carries in a rout of Virginia Tech in 1973.

“It’s very frustrating,” sophomore cornerback Tyler Patmon said. “It’s one of the most embarrassing games I’ve ever been a part of. It’s so frustrating because it feels just like last year. But we’re determined to not let it be like last year.”

As for how it all happened, the Jayhawks simply said Georgia Tech outschemed them throughout the day. Despite spending countless hours last week trying to prepare for the Yellow Jackets’ triple-option attack, Gill said his defense encountered several looks it had not seen on film. Beyond that, several Jayhawks said it was as if the Yellow Jackets knew what was coming on most plays and simply ran the other way.

“They were definitely prepared for it,” junior safety Bradley McDougald said. “Once they noticed some of the corrections that we made, they just dialed up another play that would go long. They did a great job of playing chess out there.”

Added Patmon: “I think they knew what we were about to do. It got to a point where they were kind of reading our defense and knowing what we were gonna run.”

In all, the GT offense delivered eight plays of 30 yards or more, including four over 50 and a 95-yard touchdown on its first offensive play of the game. While the Jayhawks, behind another strong half from quarterback Jordan Webb, tied the game at 7 and 14, the KU offense just could not keep up with the defense’s inability to slow Tech’s attack.

“It’s definitely hard when you look up at the score and they’re scoring on first plays and stuff like that,” said Webb, who finished 11-of-19 for 148 yards. “It’s hard to keep any momentum.”

Momentum also cost the Jayhawks defensively, as the Yellow Jackets (3-0) seemed to operate smoothly from start to finish, even with the reserves playing the final quarter or so.

“We couldn’t get ’em out of a rhythm,” Gill said. “They continued to make plays, big plays, and that’s the thing you gotta minimize against any offense but particularly against this one here. They get some big plays on you and they continue to multiply and then it’s very, very tough.”

Despite the rough loss, the Jayhawks vowed to not let one bad day turn into five or six bad weeks the way they did a season ago.

The Jayhawks (2-1) will be off this week and next will play Saturday, Oct. 1, against Texas Tech at home.

Comments

Kman_blue 2 years, 7 months ago

Matt,

Swapping photos between stories still doesn't make Bradley McDougald a senior. You might want to correct the caption, he's a junior this year. Just some minor griping from a fan here.

squawkhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Turner Gill had that deer in the headlights look again on Saturday. That is not a good sign.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 7 months ago

Darrian Miller had a very nice game yesterday and showed a lot of potential. What are the odds that next season he gets switched to defense?

tlittle 2 years, 7 months ago

Seemed like Gill had no emotion. I thought our D coach was a legend? I was embarrassed when KU continued the wildcat and Lewis would go straight up middle for a whopping 1/4 yard. At least once in a while hand it off to one of the others, thats the idea for wildcat, suppose to confuse the D, whose got the ball this time. Not KU, same play every time for a 1/4 yard. GT would hit them holes so quick, they spread out the plays, they wanted to score each time and they did. KU takes so much time to get the ball handed off and to begin going forward. I know their offense is built for the holes to develop but man it just aint working. Something is broke. It seemed like KU used that game to practice their punt offense and their kickoff return plays. UGH.

jhwkfan162515 2 years, 7 months ago

What makes this even worse is that we were the only Big 12-minus-2 team this week to lose. The other nine teams won!

troutsee 2 years, 7 months ago

2010 = ineptitude, both offense and defense. 2011 = improved offense and inept defense. Obviously the offense is better because of a veteran O line, improvement in the play of Webb, and a bevy of very fine running backs.

So, on the defensive side, are the players that bad, that inexperienced, or poorly coached? We have to 4 star safeties who appeared to be spectators. The entire defense has looked bewildered all year. In fact, the defense has stunk in all three games. I watched ISU against Iowa and U Conn. Their defense seems to be organized. Our's is disorganzed and the coaches do not seem to know how to pull the defense together during a game, a la stopping the multiple screens in game 1, the short outs in game 2, and the non-use of the triple option by GT in game 3. This has got to be coaching.

Right now the entire Jayhawk nation, which includes the team and the fans, are in a very fragile state of mind and shocked, much like the feeling after the Baylor game last year. I have been a Gill supporter since he was hired, but my patience is growing thin. No more excuses. Total ineptitude is on the coaches. Period!

741hawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Remember, "Our Boys" never quit under the Phat Man.

It took me three years to know that Terry Allen would not make it. It took me less than one season to realize that Gill was (is) not going cut it.

It goes back to Lew who was just a bully (tho' my family thoroughly enjoyed our Orange Bowl trip). He pulled the rug from under Mangino prior to the Colorado game and ruined the second half of that season. He interviewed no one other than Gill (who never even won a MAC conference title), gave him way more $$$ than needed, and a offered a no-cut contract.

Appreciate the players effort and their predicament. The responsibility is totally at the top.

. . . what an awful time to have such poor leadership.

Geekinout 2 years, 7 months ago

I don't think anyone should be fired for a few years. I do think Vic Shealy needs to play a few games of NCAA College Football on xbox/playstation to learn how to defend the option. I usually prefer to go with a 3-3-5 base, qb spy with the middle LB, cover 1 (don't get killed with that seem/fly route like yesterday), having 2 safeties up at the line of scrimmage responsible for the pitch, and trying to win first downs with a run blitz, which in my opinion is the most critical down for a run heavy option oriented team.

I don't think we have bad athletes on this years football team, but just ones out of position that have forgotten fundamentals of block shedding, pursuing, and tackling.

kureignman 2 years, 7 months ago

I didn't read the comments because it's full of haters v. homers so I don't know if this has already been said, but I think the 2 biggest disappointments (in a game full of them) are the same frustrations I had last year: no half time adjustments and getting blown out. I'm not a big fan of moral victories but if we would have kept it close I would have felt much better about the game yesterday. Thankfully we've got 2 weeks to get ready for the next one. Rock chalk!

Jack Hoover 2 years, 7 months ago

What? “We’ll harp on it for a little bit,” linebacker Steven Johnson said. “But I’m already putting it behind me. We’re gonna use this as motivation. It’s a humbling experience. But it only makes a soldier stronger, when he loses, so I have no doubt that we’re gonna rebound from this.”

Comparing football players to soldiers are we? Mr. Johnson, when a soldier loses taken to the nth degree, he is killed. I doubt this rises to that level. I will say however that getting ripped like that is similar to being killed. Perhaps more push-ups are in order. IB

jaymar74 2 years, 7 months ago

It's very easy to be critical and give up. I do not believe you will see this team and this coaching staff give up. I believe you will see them get better in the weeks ahead. It is easy to not believe in this team right now. It is easy to joke about this team right now.

kufanman88 2 years, 7 months ago

As I have said for over a year now, Gill's days are numbered. He was a Terry Allen like selection at coach. We are about to face Tommy T at Texas T that offered his services to KU as head coach before KU went down the mediocre path of Coach Gill. Although Tommy has already demonstrated how right I have been, TT will show exactly why we should have went with him instead Gill in our next game. I am not drinking the Jonestown coolaid down the path of blind support to Gill on this loss. His inconsistency at motivating the kids, lack of defense, and inability to recruit to the level of Tubberville, make his days numbered. Maybe the next AD will choose a coach with a less irrational methodology next season. Good luck Gill in your next job. At least we will have to buy your contract out and you will make a lot of money in the process. That should allow you a few good years to find another job elsewhere.

Keith Hummel 2 years, 7 months ago

The morning after and I still can't grasp what happened yesterday with our football team. But the more I digest it the more I have to blame this on coaching. I've been one of Gill's biggest supporters, and I still believe he is going about it the right way, but I have serious doubts about his abilities as a coach. You can say this is all on Vic Shealy, but Gill is ultimately responsible. If Shealy is in over his head then it's Gill's responsibility to recognize that and do something about it.

Questions that still linger this morning:

1. Why use Rell Lewis in the Wildcat when he had hardly played prior to this game. And when it didn't work very well, why keep running it time after time after time? I like Rell, but shouldn't you put someone back there with major speed who has a track record of reading blocks and making the right decisions?
  2. Why were our linebackers so undisciplined when playing the option requires total discipline and assignment football? I watched Darius Willis for awhile, trying to understand what was happening, and saw him repeatedly make the wrong read, or hit the wrong gap, and then grasp at the running back in vain as he ran past him.
  3. Why did we allow the Tech receivers to get behind us uncovered time after time after time. I would see those receivers run past our DB's and would scream at them, trying in vain to tell them to turn around. Everyone in the stadium saw it except the DB's. And it happened over and over.
  4. Tech burned us time after time after time with the reverse direction option plays, but we never read it. Why? I thought the key to playing the option was always sticking with your man. Why was the back running in the reverse direction always uncovered?
  5. Why did the Offense, which had moved the ball so well in the first half, suddenly give up in the 3rd quarter? Even when Tech was up by 3 touchdowns I thought we could come back. Everyone in the KU section thought so. Unfortunately, the offense didn't appear to agree.

Perhaps I could rationalize this somehow if I had evidence that Tech is some sort of National football power this year, but that remains to be seen. What I do know is NIU, who supposedly had this unstoppable offense, could hardly score yesterday against Wisconsin. Granted, KU is no Wisconsin, but Wisconsin is no Oklahoma either. I see no evidence to suggest our defense is anything but a joke, or that they will get substantially better.

Finally, on a positive note, I was surprised by the number of Kansas fans that showed up for that game yesterday. I attended the pregame tailgate, and the local bar was literally taken over by KU fans. The fans in the stands were very vocal during the first half, and I could tell the players appreciated it. It demonstrated, once again, that there are throngs of KU fans and alumni all over this country, and that they are just itching to have a real football team to root for.

mondhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

shealy needs to be a man and resign now!

mondhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

worst prepared team on D. ihave ever witnessed

Mangino_Maniac 2 years, 7 months ago

This defense is just bizarre. It's like all the fans not only expect to watch us get lit-up, but also that it will happen over 80 yards in under 90 seconds.

And just as bizarre is listening to the audio of the coaches after the game... did Shealy really say he hopes we don't play GT, Air Force or any other option team over the next FEW YEARS??? Good god dude, get pissed and say this will not happen again STARTING TODAY!! Both he and Turner sounded more like they were taking the 'things happen and we will move on' approach versus realizing the severity of this problem on D!!

andersonalex 2 years, 7 months ago

"But it only makes a soldier stronger, when he loses,.."

Unfortunately, it often makes him dead.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Today's "To Do" List:

1) 9:00 am Laundry - mostly underwear.

2) 11:00 am Church. Ask forgiveness for yesterday's attitude.

3) 1:00 pm Call Best Buy - postpone bigscreen TV delivery for about 6 more weeks.

4) 3:00 pm Go to Dillons - replenish kleenex supply.

5) 5:00 pm Make note to call Cox Cable first thing Monday morning
and replace the remote control.

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Actually, Gill's offense is exactly right. It's the one thing that's working.

The scary thing is this: Wisconsin destroyed the UNI team that we took such hope out of beating. We were destroyed by GA Tech, maybe the worst loss I've ever seen pinned on us. And Texas Tech rolled.

2 wins may be it this year. Some record-setting losses could be on the way. How did we ever get this bad?

BC5 2 years, 7 months ago

I love KU, but I believe Gill's offense is not going to work because KU can't out recruit the Big 12. Mangino ran a spread, and it worked. I wish Gill the best, but this ain't Nebraska, and we can't be a power offense. And as far as yesterday, I refuse to criticize young men who are achieving great things in their life. They play hard, they practice hard, and go to school. That effort demands respect.

I talked to a former player at KU and he said what Mangino was fired for would have been praised 30 years ago. He was a tough coach. Beyond that, Mangino was a heck of an offensive mind. I have a feeling Gill will get 5 years, because you need to let the man have a chance. But KU can't beat this conference trying to power up with them. Spread it out and get back to the Orange Bowl some day. Rock Chalk

By the way, I hate Texas, If everyone got an equal share of the money, the Big 12 would be the one expanding. Texas sucks.

gardenjay 2 years, 7 months ago

I still think we have a great football team - rock chalk!! It may be an embarrassing loss, however I was really proud of KU to fight to within a touchdown with such amazing playmaking on offense in the first half. I think what happened happened for a good reason, and since I am not a football player I will take a bye until the next game and be a fan for that next one with equal enthusiasm. RCJH!!!!!!

lv_jhwk 2 years, 7 months ago

18 touchdowns 2 field goals 7 punts 2 turnover-on-downs 1 missed field goal 3 end-of-halves

Those would be the outcomes of each drive against the KU defense through three games.

Can we all admit that the opposing offense is essentially in the Red Zone as soon as they step on the field??

Dirk Medema 2 years, 7 months ago

Interesting parallel ocurred to me today.

Last year, we had very little depth on the OL, because of wholly deficient recruiting the previous years (and losing several through defections), and it was decimated by injuries. Hmmm, amazingly the O underperforms. (sarcasm)

This year, anyone with any knowledge of the team realized that we were really deficient at DT. So mcuh so that we have tried using a 3-4, which requires fewer DT's. Then, we lose our 1st string DT before the season begins, and our 2nd string DT just 2 games in. That means the anchor of the DL wasn't even on the depth chart a month ago.

That also means that the best, most experienced of the DL (Toben) is in his first full year at his position - oh yeah and the entire team is in their first year in this D. The GT blog pointed out that only 3 players from last year's game return for our/KU D.

kranny 2 years, 7 months ago

Wow. It's hard to conceive how a D1 program can have such a lack of talent on the defensive side. Offense looks much improved but still compares to the Sam Houston States and McNeese States. Our defense is simply pretty sad. No speed, size, or strength is not a good combination. The defense looked like Middles schoolers bouncing off the GTech players. Got a looonngg way to go yet. Don't give up hawks-keep working hard. Going to be a long next 5 weeks. Might be able to get KState, Iowa State, and Mizzou.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 7 months ago

I believe it is time for HC Gill to seriously considering revamping the defensive coaching staff. It looked like the defense had never heard of the option offense and was wholly unprepared for this game, and that falls directly on the coaching staff. It was not just a bad performance, it was downright embarrassing. Had Georgia Tech first team played the entire game, it would have rewritten all the offensive NCAA records

huskercarpenter 2 years, 7 months ago

To the KU football players that might read this, listen to your coach and wipe your a$$ with all of the haters. Your coach will help you to get better and the haters just want you to fail, just read what they are saying. They don't care about you, they do want you to fail at everything so they can get rid of your coach. But Turner will teach you how to be a great football player and more importantly how to be a great man. Unlike some of the so-called people that post on here that really don't have a clue. Go to practice everyday and work hard and listen you will get better while the haters continue to pass the glass pipe around.

squawkhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

It's all about coaching...need I say more?

Lance Cheney 2 years, 7 months ago

The team needs to use this as fuel for their fire, and realize that the only reason GT didn't break 100 points is because they put in their 2nd and 3rd stringers for the whole 4th quarter (who we still couldn't stop). If that was me, I'd wanna make DAMN sure it didn't happen again.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 7 months ago

@kg

Sorry man, just trying to help you out. From now on I'm down with you. I'm a true fan. Next time we beat McNeese state you and I go after the goal post and take them for a swim in potters lake. And after the next NIU victory we lead the riots on mass street! No more of this being objective nonsense. I'm tired of looking at things as the really are and am going to "believe" from now on. I will buy in on all the "championship" and "dynasty" talk because this team is full of "speed." And even though his classes have ranked towards the bottom of the league gills a great recruiter. It's rivals that's wrong, not you and me! Right now I'm going to praise Jesus, not have impure thoughts towards the FSU cheerleaders like the old me would have done because that's how Turner would want it. He will build me into a stronger man with rules and educate and inspire me with his "word of the week".

pass the kool aid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 7 months ago

Disappointing in every way. We have a MVC football team...at best.

danmoore 2 years, 7 months ago

At the risk of sounding really gay, those are nice looking uni's.

Dissapointing but I think my expectations were more realistic than some of the people posting today. I want to see how Gill's first couple of recruiting classes develop as juniors and seniors before we get out the hook.

tbbucboy21 2 years, 7 months ago

embarrassing. turner gill is an absolute joke show some emotion out there. fire turner gill what a complete joke

jhwkfan162515 2 years, 7 months ago

Totally separate issue: Why was Kansas wearing their home blues when they were the visiting team? Weren't they supposed to wear white, and GT wear gold or navy blue?

jhwkfan162515 2 years, 7 months ago

Our defense couldn't stop a light breeze.

Fire Turner Gill!

Geekinout 2 years, 7 months ago

Sims and Pierson had been killing it in the running game. Let's put in Bourbon and Lewis for the 3rd game of the season and let them get a lot of the carries... Probably the worst game plan I've seen in KU history on both sides of the ball. How many times were KU's safeties out of position and got burnt in both the running and passing game? It's not just the LB's, it the entire defensive scheme that was horrible today. Rell Lewis in the wildcat for how many looks. Should realize after the 3-5 time that wasn't there! Move all that speed to defense if you're going to try and run a 3-4 under/over base defense and have Rell Lewis getting that many carries. I'm still a fan of the future this team is capable of, but not of the play calling on defense and going soft on offense. Soft team and coach mentally and physically to get beat by a run oriented team like that.

shelleysue 2 years, 7 months ago

Oh boy. I don't even know what to say.

jayhawkintexas 2 years, 7 months ago

Two million dollars a year HCTG salary? For THIS???!! Wayyyyyyyy overpaid and overrated.

jayhawkintexas 2 years, 7 months ago

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

I GUARANTEE that we won't lose next week.

Just wanted to get that in there so ahperse and his gang of KU hater villains couldn't.

Charlotte_Jhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Totally unsatisfactory. Embarrassing. We are a joke. If it happens again, Coach Gill should resign.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 7 months ago

So would this be a bad time to post that McNeese State lost by 42 points today?

Just kidding, I made that up and don't know if they won or lost.

Paul Christiansen 2 years, 7 months ago

What were our coaches even thinking after halftime.

I have to say that the play calling on offense in the second half was pretty lame.

A lot of the comments posted about the defensive coaching today were very justified.

observant 2 years, 7 months ago

Now, 9 more loss's to go. meets my prediction of 2-10. Typical of Gill's coaching level, $1 million per win.

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 7 months ago

I was afraid of what it would look like once we could not keep up score for score. Since this is a team effort and we know there are a lot of weaknesses on D we have got to control the ball and make first downs. Control the clock. Any game we don't execute offensively we will most likely lose. Glad to see Vic Shealy take the hit for this. Team didn't look like they were prepared on D at all.

manginorh00lz 2 years, 7 months ago

Can someone tell me one single thing good that Gill has done since he arrived at KU?

• banned names on jerseys -> bad
  • banned twitter/facebook -> bad
  • banned women -> bad
  • banned cussing -> bad
  • banned winning -> bad

KGphoto 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm sorry. Rell Lewis had 10 carries, Pierson with 6 and Bourbon with 1!?!?!! Hey, I like Rell but your average couch potato can tell you he's only the 5th best running back on the team. He should never see the field!

Our senior CB Isaiah Barfield doesn't even record a tackle. Did he even play? Meanwhile Tyler Patmon is letting guys run buy him without even looking up, and Dexter McDonald is our 2nd leading tackler.

It's like they tried to lose!!

texashawk10 2 years, 7 months ago

The LB's were the biggest culprit in today's performance. They constantly over-pursued the RB's and were out of position to make any attempt at a stop. It wasn't GT outsmarting KU, it was the LB's playing very poor assignment football by not staying with their reads. When facing a team that runs the option as well as GT does, you find your assigned offensive player prior to the snap and stay with him, you don't go for the QB and leave your man all alone which is what KU did all game long. Don't even get me started with how Terry and McDougald played today because they played worse than the LB's did and I can't imagine what Seth Doege is going to do to them in two weeks. It really bothers me to hear some of the defenders talking about seeing new formations and GT outsmarting the KU defense and gives me little hope for any improvement from this defense in the near future (I don't mean near future as in the next couple of games, I mean the next couple of years). The GT offense out executed the KU defense all day long plain and simple.