Originally published October 22, 2011 at 09:03p.m., updated October 22, 2011 at 10:53p.m.

Jayhawks: Blown coverage at end of half ‘unacceptable’

Kansas defensive end Pat Lewandowski can't reach Kansas State quarterback Collin Klein during the second quarter on Saturday, Oct. 22, 2011 at Kivisto Field.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Turner Gill

Kansas coach Turner Gill talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 59-21 loss to Kansas State on Oct. 22, 2011.

Download podcast

It was only a single play, but it might have been the one that shifted the momentum to Kansas State for good in its 59-21 victory over Kansas on Saturday.

With 9 seconds left in the first half and the ball on the KSU 43, KSU quarterback Collin Klein completed a 48-yard pass down the middle to Tyler Lockett, who caught it without a defender close to him.

The miscue ended up costing KU three points, as Anthony Cantele put through a 26-yard field goal on the last play of the half to make it 31-14 KSU.

Though coaches and players didn’t want to name the guilty person, all pointed to it being a single player’s fault.

KU defensive coordinator Vic Shealy called for a Cover Four zone, with four defenders in charge of covering their deep “quarters” of the field.

“You can’t be too soft, because 20 yards gives you a field goal,” Shealy said. “So you can’t go to a last-play type call before half.”

KU sophomore cornerback Tyler Patmon attributed the blown coverage to a bad read.

“Just guys not doing their jobs. That’s what it comes down to,” Patmon said. “Everybody does their job and one guy doesn’t do it, then they’re bound to find it. Quarterbacks in the Big 12, they’re bound to find the mistake.”

Video replays showed that senior cornerback Isiah Barfield appeared to be the closest player in the area when Lockett made the catch.

KU junior safety Bradley McDougald said Shealy dialed up a “great, safe call.”

“Mental lapse,” McDougald said, “Guys ... their mind was at halftime before the clock was at halftime, basically. A guy was supposed to be in coverage wasn’t there, and they flipped the field on us.”

When asked what might have caused the misread by the unnamed player, McDougald said he wasn’t sure.

“We just kind of said we were going to move on,” McDougald said. “I don’t know. It’s just unacceptable. Guys just have got to make that play.

“I’m not going to make any excuses for him. I’m pretty sure he’s not going to make an excuse for himself. He’s just got to make that play.”

McDougald also was quick to defend Gill.

“And to know our coach is going to get blamed for something so small as a check that we do every day at practice — that he covers every day at practice — is just unexcusable. It’s not right, but that’s how it goes.”

• A previous version of this story has been updated.

Comments

hawk316 2 years, 10 months ago

lighthawk, did you just read the same article I did? The entire thrust of the article was that this was a player who blew his assignment, one that is coached every day in practice. Every day.

And McDougald is exactly right when he stated, “Coach can’t control that. It’s a player. As a player, you’ve got to know your role,” McDougald said. “As simple as the play was, it’s just unexcusable.

No, it's not right. Lighten up on Gill.

hawk316 2 years, 10 months ago

And it's a credit to Gill that he didn't single out this player by name. A less classy coach, knowing that he was going to take the heat for this player's mistake, might have landed hard on the kid (who probably felt horrible anyway). But Gill is trying to build men, not just football players, and you don't do that by a public crucifixion of a young 20-year-old.

Hats off to Coach Gill who seems to handle himself with grace and class even when the multitude is screaming for his head.

T_Man_JayhawkNation 2 years, 10 months ago

Dead last in the Nation in Total Defense is not exceptable! It's time for some changes and that starts at the top!

squawkhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, but at least we're fast and improving every week!

Geekinout 2 years, 10 months ago

How about the terrible decision to squib kick it to give them great field possession? I've seen 12 year old kids playing football video games make better educated decisions than these guys!

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 10 months ago

Hmmmmmmm?

So we score (chance for coach to go over things with the defense) Kick the extra point (chance for coach to go over things with the defense) Time out (chance for coach to go over things with the defense) Kick the ball off (chance for coach to go over things with the defense) Time out (chance for coach to go over things with the defense) Then the play takes place.

And it's never just one players fault. Maybe it was the d lines fault for not getting pressure on the qb. Maybe it's the lb's fault for rushing the passer instead of dropping into coverage or vise versa. Maybe it's another db's fault for not getting over in time to help make a tackle. Putting this one play on one player is the sickest thing I've ever heard. Shame on Turner for doing so.

FlintHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

"Putting this one play on one player is the sickest thing I've ever heard. Shame on Turner for doing so." [ahpersecoachingexperience)

This should be the headline of the game. Guess Gill never learned "the buck stops here."

Ashwin Rao 2 years, 10 months ago

Completely agree! There is blame going around, when we all know the root of the problem. There is no ownership of the situation. THAT in my opinion is the worst thing. Unless people take ownership, they will never rectify the situation.

Doug Fogleman 2 years, 10 months ago

I have to disagree. The football field is big. Everyone one can take care of their area, but if one guy doesn't you have a big play.

However, that one play did not beat us. Our d backs cannot get off blocks, the line puts on very little pressure on the qb (did we even have a sack).

The offense continues to throw the ball behind the line of scrimmage on third downs.

This team is bad, just plain bad. Coaching staff down.

My fear is that we lose the quality talent that we have.

Eric Dawson 2 years, 10 months ago

“We just had a guy that didn’t do what he was supposed to do,” KU coach Turner Gill said. “He went onto another receiver instead of staying back in his quarter of the field, as we call it. They threw the ball right where he left, and we made a mistake there.” -- Turner Gill

Week after week I have heard Gill make a variation of the excuse he offered above, that someone did not do as they were told.

Coach, that is your fault, and your staff's fault, for not training them properly.

FlintHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Couldn't agree more, LTCUSARet.

What kind of leader blames his troops? I cannot fathom what kind of adult person puts it on kids. I'm thinking we've been duped, that TG is not at all the smiling, soft spoken, God-fearing person he presents.

His blame-placing is especially interesting when you think about the nameless uniforms; wasn't that to promote a sense of "we're all in this together"?

I am so disgusted.

Ashwin Rao 2 years, 10 months ago

The real intention for not putting names was so that he could blame the team (an unnamed entity) and get away with it! :)

squawkhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm not a Gill fan but you guys are wrong on this one. Gill is simply stating the facts as they were. Why should he take the blame for a kid missing a play? Should he take the blame for every fumble that is made, or every interception that the QB throws? At some point the kids have to take responsibility for their actions on the field. The coach can't be blamed for everything.

Steve Brown 2 years, 10 months ago

agreed big time. either he wasn't coached properly, or we didn't communicate to him properly or we (coaches) failed in some major way when a soldier doesn't execute or we have wrong player on the turf for that situation.

Basic leadership.

holidaysmore 2 years, 10 months ago

This team is way, way to nice. They are quick to take the blame for a coaching staff that wouldn't hesitate in a second to throw them under the bus.

FlintHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

"Wouldn't hesitate in a second"? Seems to me TG already has thrown them under the bus.

Actually, I think the team is showing a lot more class than the coaching staff.

milehighhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm no math major, but think something is wrong with the second sentence:

"With...the ball on the KU 43, KSU quarterback Collin Klein completed a 48-yard pass down the middle to Tyler Lockett..."

Martin Hanna 2 years, 10 months ago

Present at the game, I kept seeing many plays where there was not a defensive back covering a receiver. I kept thinking that if Kline was able to check down to the open receiver, we where in trouble. Not just one play but many plays throughout the game where the receivers where not being covered. There where many opportunities where corrections should have been made.

741hawk 2 years, 10 months ago

So . . . you are saying they aren't well coached.

FlintHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Think about this, jayhawkmwh:

"In my years of experience in training soldiers, the one thing that was drilled into us and them from day one of training is that what they learn and how they learn to perform it in training is what and how they will perform when under fire." [LTCUSARet 10:07 pm]

When the whole team falls short, do you blame the team or the coaching?

Geekinout 2 years, 10 months ago

I was wondering the exact same thing... I saw a lot of trio sets on one side of the field with only 2 defensive backs lined up against them! To make it even more absolutely inexcusable, the linebackers weren't even rotated to that side to help off! KU pretty much showed not only they were in a zone converge before the snap, but didn't know how to line up. Also, I saw us rushing 3 linemen on almost every 3rd down when you knew it was most likely going to be a pass play... This is a prime example of not all great players make great coaches!!!

AzNHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

I really hope that the game experience although they may be blowout losses will be valuable experience for future seasons for the majority of this roster who happen to be freshmen/sophomores.

I really felt that the inexperience of this KU football team would be exposed at some point in time. Kids coming straight out of high school to play their first college football game against seasoned veterans? No experience vs REALLY EXPERIENCED.

hawkster007 2 years, 10 months ago

That cover 4 zone was great there at the end of the half! Snyder threw down the middle on it several times in the 1st half for big gains, but like a sage coach, he didn't abuse it, but instead waited for the opportune time right before half time to dial up another big one. Its hard to believe that cornerbacks playing 10 yards off the line of scrimmage can still get beat, must be that great team speed that Gill has recruited!

squawkhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, speed kills. I just thought we were suppose to have the speed.

Micky Baker 2 years, 10 months ago

The players aren't confident because they've been put in a position to fail by Gill.

actorman 2 years, 10 months ago

You're so right, biggunz. I mean didn't they have TD"s on four straight possessions AROUND the one field goal? In other words, just another enjoyable day of watching the KU "defense."

And you guys are also right that TG blaming the players makes it even worse.

chriz 2 years, 10 months ago

Signed, Tony Dungy, Mile Tomlin, Lovie Smith, and Bill Snyder.

Just playing devil's advocate...I get your point, and if I were coach, that's probably how I would handle it, but that's just not how some guys roll.

Micky Baker 2 years, 10 months ago

Except, we did that against Georgia Tech too. We had a nickel package. 2 guys went to cover the receiver on the left. One guy went to cover the receiver in the flat. Nobody (And isn't this the Safety's responsibility) covered the receiver up the middle. The safety went directly to double cover a guy, that by the way isn't a deep threat. K-State doesn't have a deep threat(except against KU).

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

"We just had a guy that didn’t do what he was supposed to do,” KU coach Turner Gill said. “

That could have been said about every play of the game.

Offense and Defense.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Dear Dr. Zenger,

I was ready to start ranting and raving about how embarrassing it is to follow a "mediocre" team.

Right now, mediocre would look pretty dang good. Mediocre would be a HUGE improvement. Mediocre should be our GOAL for this season.

We have morphed over time - we are now the K-State of the 70's and 80's.

• FUTILITY U - EAST *

I've been a Gill supporter since his hiring. I was wrong. I've been wrong before.

I swear - I promise - I'll quit my $65k a year job and coach my beloved Jayhawks myself. I'll do it for HALF of what you're paying Gill to embarrass our University, our fans, our town and our state.

I promise you, the results will not be as bad as what you're seeing week in and week out now. You will see a "Water Boy" anger from the players that stems directly from how I feel right now. You know - that feeling that good defenses have - where they want to literally rip someone's head off and not allow the other team not a single yard. NOT ONE.

Do something Doc. Do it today. Do it NOW.

This is crap.

Chris Bailey 2 years, 10 months ago

Yeah I too am now on the FIRE GILL bandwagon! He is bad. He can recruit but he can't coach. Our team shows no improvement week to week. I agree hire you and I'll be the yell at everyone coach to piss them off! Maybe lighting a fire under their arses will make them realize losing like this isn't acceptable at a university where they are going to school on our dime.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 10 months ago

Please enlighten me on his recruiting ability. I see a 4 star QB, that he can't get to practice. One of the best OL that he recruited was inelgible to play at KU...and I was going to state all of the DE and DT that he recruited, but again, I can't name one.

If you are talking about RB, Sims was a MM recruit.

So second tier, Pierson and Bourbon have been solid, (although it seems pierson is undersized and has had some fumbles). Anyways, I'm waiting for some of this all-star recruiting that everyone has been talking about.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

666 - you know you can brother! Just remember those LA "winters" are pretty sweet compared to Lawrence, Ks.

Of course, it feels unusually cold here right now..........

jhawkrulz 2 years, 10 months ago

"Blown coverage throughout game is unacceptable", I think that was what the title of the article was meant to read.

The least amount of points KU has given up is 24 to McNeese State.

Other than that is has been 42... and more recently they have been in the 50s.

I hope HCTG is willing to negotiate his buyout, I'm guessing 3 MM will do it.

jrbill67 2 years, 10 months ago

Defense giving up 40 points a game, ranks dead last in D1 defense, and this completion is unacceptable. Gill's a nice man but he needs to get a new defensive coordinator or he needs to be replaced.

Micky Baker 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm betting that Gill's staff taught the player to do exactly what he did, and he did not coach them during the game to tell them not to let anyone get behind them. They were doing what they were taught to do by an incompetent coaching staff.

Micky Baker 2 years, 10 months ago

The reason I said this, Georgia Tech did the same thing against us. Oklahoma did too, and Kansas State did it yesterday. I doubt very much that the players did it because they were not taught to do just that. That is the problem with the 3 4 defense.

It is obvious that the coaches aren't coaching, because the players are doing the same things over and over again. If the coaches think they are coaching, then there is reason to believe that they are being taught to do what they are doing.

FIRE GILL! FIRE THE WHOLE INCOMPETENT STAFF!

Micky Baker 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm surprised to hear that Zenger did not give Gill an ultimatum. Either Gill starts showing MAJOR improvement RIGHT NOW, or he doesn't get another week after Texas to destroy this program for a decade.

Dyrk Dugan 2 years, 10 months ago

the blame the player mantra is also unacceptable....this was coaching through and through. before the ball was snapped, we looked like we were in "normal" coverage...that is, it was just like any other play....accept we KNEW they only had one play to make any hay.

good grief, it's their 43...if you have four guys off the ball 20 yards and they throw underneath, you go tackle 'em.....and it's still a 15 yard gain....six or seven seconds have gone by and now they're at your 40....it's hail mary time. or if they try to throw deep, you tell them before the series, "nothing goes over your head."

it's coaching 101...the basics of coaching....however you call it, that play, completely, TOTALLY, was on the coaching staff...and the head man has to accept it.

Mike Nicco 2 years, 10 months ago

Finally, watching the game, with my 13 year old son who is playing football for the first time. Coaches Shealy & Wimberly, he would like to know why you continue to run cover 2 with the cornerbacks 8-10 yards off the receiver & backpedaling once the ball is snapped? You used at least 2 different CBs on the right side during KSU's first scoring drive yet every pass throw there was completed and just about every pass was throw to that area

Mike Nicco 2 years, 10 months ago

Did anybody see if Mundane was "talked to" after the block in the back?

Mike Nicco 2 years, 10 months ago

Why is nobody talking to Malcolm Walker after the facemask penalty???

Mike Nicco 2 years, 10 months ago

Coach Long, my son would like to know why you don't run the hurry-up offense more often, especially after it lead to your 2 first half scoring drives?

Mike Nicco 2 years, 10 months ago

Coach Gill, you have 9 coaches, 5 graduate assistants & 5 strength coaches. Which one is designated to watch the clock? At least 3 seconds should have elapsed during the kick-off return by KSU at the end of the 2nd quarter. Without those 3 seconds, KSU doesn't get the last-second field.

Micky Baker 2 years, 10 months ago

The players aren't being coached. I don't see how it isn't obvious.