Originally published October 22, 2011 at 04:46p.m., updated October 22, 2011 at 07:47p.m.

KU athletic director Sheahon Zenger on football program: ‘We will get this thing fixed’

Kansas athletic director Sheahon Zenger hangs out with head coach Turner Gill on the sidelines of practice on Tuesday, Aug. 16, 2011.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Turner Gill

Kansas coach Turner Gill talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 59-21 loss to Kansas State on Oct. 22, 2011.

Download podcast

Discouraged by yet another lopsided loss by the Kansas University football team, Kansas University athletic director Sheahon Zenger spoke briefly after Saturday's 59-21 loss to in-state rival Kansas State at Memorial Stadium.

"I don't expect any player, coach, administrator, fan or alum to accept today's performance or the performances in recent weeks," Zenger said. "We will get this thing fixed."

Asked when that fix might come, Zenger expanded his statement and indicated that second-year coach Turner Gill at least would be allowed to finish out the season.

"We continue to evaluate the program on a week-by-week basis at the University of Kansas," Zenger continued. "We will never make a complete evaluation until the season is over and the body of work is in."

Asked after the game if he was concerned about his future at KU, Gill continued to push his slogan.

"I'm here to coach and teach," he said. "I still believe in my ability to coach. I still believe in my ability to develop. I believe in this staff's ability to teach and develop. I feel good about it. It's just taken a little bit longer time to get things done."

The Jayhawks (2-5 overall and 0-4 Big 12) play at Texas next week.

Comments

clarkentsman 4 years, 6 months ago

In the last five games we have been out scored 90 - 7 in the 3rd quarter. The 7 was against OSU's second string defense. The margin could have been worse. OU and OSU scored 3 and 7 points in the 3rd quarter with their second string offences. K-State pulled their first string offence two minutes in the 3rd quarter today after scoring 21 points. The bottom lines we make no adjustments at half time and our opponents do.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 6 months ago

OU was close through 3 periods, and it was heisman candidate throwing to another into the 4th.

KStoCAHippie 4 years, 6 months ago

Seriously dagger108? Did you SEE OU's players. It was close because they pretty blatantly didn't care about the game. They weren't playing like they were because they were challenged... they were playing in the manner that they were because they had so LITTLE respect for us that they felt they didn't really have to put forth effort. And they didn't, they played a half-a$$ed game and we STILL lost by 30 points.

KSAuburnFan 4 years, 6 months ago

Clark--did you even watch the last 2 weeks. OU played their starters on both sides of the ball until about 4 mins left in the game. And KSU didn't pull their QB until the 4th quarter, and their starting running back played until the last KSU offensive series.

Kyle Sybesma 4 years, 6 months ago

Agreed. I've defended Gill since he was hired. It took Mangino more than 2 years but I remember seeing some improvement in year 2. I'm not sure where to look but I imagine we've got to be one of the worst teams in NCAA and there are 120 schools!! I've officially jumped on the Fire Gill Bandwagon. Don't know enough about football coaches to offer a replacement. Would love Tressel but don't think that's realistic.

KStoCAHippie 4 years, 6 months ago

@Sybesma: "It took Mangino MORE than 2 years"? More? I'm pretty sure we were something like 6 and 7 and went to a bowl game Mangino's second year. (tangerine bowl?)...

HottRod 4 years, 6 months ago

How about we start the "fixing" with a new coach? Preferably not a unproven guy.

huskerpower 4 years, 6 months ago

How about Leach as a head coach, Mangino at o-coordinator, and Jim Levitt at d-coordinator?

rockchalkchampionship 4 years, 6 months ago

Hahaha! Would never, ever happen but I love it! They wouldn't put up with anything and they definitely wouldn't let K-State drop 59 everytime they come to Lawrence.

kansasredlegs 4 years, 6 months ago

I've been saying that tongue-in-cheek since all the bad "tyrants" we're fired for mistreating adult gladitorial men. Pipedream, but sure would be fun to watch.

kuilander 4 years, 6 months ago

those three personalities could never get along!! lol ... i wont name which one to be fair, but one of them would eat the other two!

tical523 4 years, 6 months ago

Our team would be awesome but our school would never do it. . . . we are political correct city here.

Maracas 4 years, 6 months ago

Show Gill and everyone on his staff the door at the end of the season, plant a foot in their behinds, and propel them through it. We've seen enough of this joke Perkins played on us.

overthemoon 4 years, 6 months ago

Wonder how many of Perkin's friends pockets were padded by his extravagant and foolish 'upgrade' program??

KU has never had a decent, sustainable football program. Why not just punt the whole thing?

Gregor Southard 4 years, 6 months ago

Went to 4 bowl games in 7 years. That wasn't bad

Ethan Berger 4 years, 6 months ago

Yes lets hire a guy who got his school hammered with violations.

chipmunk1956 4 years, 6 months ago

Two words.... Bill Young... D coordinator @ OSU.

Drr05 4 years, 6 months ago

Give Gill time to do what, let a team score 100 on us. Kansas football has hit rock bottom. Turner Gill should be fired NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nuleafjhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Four weeks ago I would have agreed with you. I DID agree with you.

I'm firmly aboard the get rid of Gill bandwagon now. We have gotten progressively worse each week (in my opinion). I see NO signs of improvement. Nothing that says if we keep Gill things will get better.

We don't need Mangino back. We need to hire someone who is going to change the landscape of KU football. We need major, drastic changes. Our football "program" is terrible.

Ross Cargo 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm pretty much right there with you. I would give Gill another year if:

He fires Shealy tonight. Hires someone to come in and band aid this sorry excuse of a defense and said hire makes some sort of noticeable improvement with these last few games. A great DC could do this. Our guys aren't lacking that much talent.

Long seems to be making some progress with the offense even though Webb is now regressing/struggling. The offense is very young and playing some very good competition. It may be they are trying to press to make up for the sorry excuse on the other side.

ahpersecoachingexperience 4 years, 6 months ago

"time" as in more years coaching?

Or

"time" as in behind bars?

JakeBarnes 4 years, 6 months ago

I hate your posts, but the worse part is that I am beginning to agree with them.

ahpersecoachingexperience 4 years, 6 months ago

Yikes! I was all in a hurry to say something like "spoke from KSU's sideline" or "then returned to popping bottles with Snyder" but it looks like sheahoRn might be serious.

Stay tuned...

("Stay tuned" is written with expressed consent from Matt Tait)

LAJayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

So... this could break down to you getting a pat on the back for your feelings being right on Gill and a punch in the face for being wrong about Zenger....

Hmm, maybe we won't let you know which one is coming first....

LAJayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

The best ever?? Better than getting punched in the face by Jessica Simpson's blouse puppies?

Hammertoe 4 years, 6 months ago

$6 Million to get rid of $Gill? think not.

LAJayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

P.S. Just noticed the "Stay Tuned" comment.

Touche salesman.

nocaljayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

FIRE TURNER GILL!!!! Big Lew's final "screw you" to old KU, and it's a screw that keeps on screwing, just ask KSU, OU, OSU, MU, NDSU, GaTech, USM, and all those other schools that have made KU football look like a complete joke these past two lost seasons.

David Meredith 4 years, 6 months ago

Given the level of talent he inherited, Gill deserves at least 2012.... remember KU lost the last 7 games in 2009, and that was with Reesing, Briscoe, and Meier who all left the program.... I am not saying Gill is definitely the answer or anything, but the cupboard was completely dry. I can't imagine Mangino being very successful the last 2 years with having to start all over on offense with true freshman. And the defense was not great in 2008 or 2009 under Mangino. Today was embarrassing though.

cwind 4 years, 6 months ago

Oops ... no. Jim Tressell sounds good. If future Hawk players happen to sell their Rose Bowl rings or Rose Bowl jersies for profit, Tressell will ALSO be immediately inducted into the Jayhawk Hall of Fame simultaneously!!!

boknowssports 4 years, 6 months ago

Gill got 15 returning starters our of 22 from a competitive team that lost several games by just a few points, or else mangino's last year would have also been to a bowl. so stop with the "Gill inherited nothing" He took a decent team and took it to a lower level and this year appears to be going even lower. Pathetic.

kansasredlegs 4 years, 6 months ago

Everyone should not forget that Reesing was injured and could not effectively scramble which was a big part of his game.

741hawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Dallashawk05

We were doin' fine Mangino's last year until Lew pulled the rug completely from under the Phat Man with a players only meeting. A few days later we lost in the last minutes at CU. It was amazing that Phat Man held the team together as well as he did having lost his authority to Bully Lew. In his last game, the Fightin' Manginos lost at Arrowhead in the last minute of the game.

How different those days of competitive KU football were! What I remember were three straight bowls including an Orange Bowl win. I would gladly have allowed Mangino to continue to develop his program.

Mandie Eutsler 4 years, 6 months ago

That's complete BS. He inherited brand new, state of the art facilities, and way better talent than Mangino had when he started coaching at Kansas. Mangino started with terrible facilities, horrible locker room conditions, no weightroom, and players who would sleep on the sidelines during games. The man cleaned house and made our program appear to be on the up and up. Fire the guy because he's too mean, hire the first schmuck we interviewed, who by the way had a losing record in a crap conference with a crap team. Gill is a clear disappointment. He had everything he needed to draw decent recruits. These guys have no discipline, which you can see by the blown coverages, penalties, and lack of fitness. Coming off the field following a 3 and out performance, the offense did not meet with a coach, at all. He wants to be so nice and treat these guys like 8th graders. Maybe he should be coaching at a high school somewhere, he doesn't have what it takes to be the head coach. The cupboard was not dry and you can't compare him to Mangino in any way. Personally we shouldn't have been such pansies and kept the fat man. Tressel? Are you people nuts? Here's hoping Mike Leach is still available next season...

Mike Ardis 4 years, 6 months ago

Gill's teams had a stretch of losing 7 of 9 at Buffalo in 2009, 7 of 8 at KU in 2010 and 5 in a row in 2011... Two plays go differently (CU & MU) and KU finishes 7-5 in 2009 and Gill is failing somewhere else. June Jones anyone?

jayhawker_06 4 years, 6 months ago

I say the defensive coordinator needs to be shown the door by Monday! Opponents averaging over 50 ppg against us is UNACCEPTABLE!

Jeremy Bolinger 4 years, 6 months ago

Leach and Tressel would never, ever happen. Also, who's gonna pay that 6 million dollar buyout? Yea, we'll be waiting awhile to get better.

Toto_the_great 4 years, 6 months ago

+1. How many of you "fans" were calling for Self after he lost two first round games in back-to-back years? Now look at us. Sure there are a couple of no-name surprises, but do you really want him gone? They will can a few assistant coaches and bring in new blood. Gill has brought in the talent, we just need coaches to develop it. He will be here at least 4 years (unless we go 0-fer).

nuleafjhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Toto - Self was already a top notch coach when he got here. He had "resurrected" several programs and was a high profile coach in his own right.

Turner Gill was an excellent football PLAYER. What he did at Buffalo did not excite big time football programs across the country.

I think he's a good, decent man and, up until the past couple of weeks, I have been promoting the fact that people should give him a chance.

But - do you really see any light at the end of the tunnel? I'm 53 years old and have been a KU fan since I could walk and I have never personally seen KU football look this bad. And they're not improving - if anything they're getting worse.

babyjay1 4 years, 6 months ago

Not even comparable to the Bill Self hire. I, too wanted to give TG time but the absolute embarrassment of our losses has made me change my mind. Even when Self lost games we wish the team would have won, we all knew he would come back strong with his team for another year. TG leaves me wondering just how bad it will get... He jus doesn't have "the stuff" for the job!

Mark Lindrud 4 years, 6 months ago

Toto, there ain't not yellow brick road to get us out of this at the moment. The Wizard fooled us all unfortunately. I liked the Gill hire because he seemed very motivational and I liked him as a person, but either he gets rid of his defensive staff at least or he has to go.

Point is something this off season must change and it needs to be drastic one way or the other. I would be fine if we at least hired a new DC so that is my personal compromise to the situation, but if the offense remains mundane and unimaginative then even Gill has to go because then both sides of the ball are getting worse.

Mandie Eutsler 4 years, 6 months ago

My problem with your statement is that you are comparing apples and oranges. Bill Self has failed to win the Big 12 championship only once since he's been here. He averages less that 4 losses per season, which is amazing. He's the winningest coach in college basketball right now. There were really very few "fans" calling for his head. His teams are always competitive. Which brings me to my next point. Our football team isn't even competitive. We pay to watch them just get spanked. It's never close. The two wins aside, we sit there and watched those poor kids get punished with no leadership or coaching. Bill Self is always involved and always COACHING! Gill does absolutely nothing on the sidelines. He never speaks to anyone, and he is absolutely emotionless. I want a guy who can get his players fired up. Losing I can handle, but losing by an average of 40 points I can't watch. At the very least I want to be interested. I want to be engaged in the game until the last minute. $6 million seems like a bargain when you consider the games are always over by half time and people stop spending money because they would rather hang out in the parking lot than watch the game.

Jaminrawk 4 years, 6 months ago

My guess is the evaluation involves raising funds to fire Gill & company. Sheahon was an assistant recruiting coordinator and director of football operations under Bill Snyder and helped build the South Florida football program as a recruiter there. I'm pretty sure this losing is grating on him especially since Gill was a Perkins hire. Unless Gill gets these guys to win a couple of games in impressive fashion to close out this season, this might be it for him.

Kent Wells 4 years, 6 months ago

My crystal ball says the body of work:

Oct 29, Loss, 63-14, 650 yards of total offense (for Texas) Nov 5, Loss, 35-31, 500 yards of total offense (for ISU) Nov 12, Loss, 63-21, 700 yards of total offense (just for Griffin) Nov 19, Loss 56-14, 650 yards if total offense (just for Reveille) Nov 26, Loss 69-21, 715 yards if total offense

The body of work is complete with a 2-10 record. NCAA record for yards allowed per game. And if I had the energy or inclination, probably the most points surrendered by a D1 team in the history of the NCAA. Awesome body of work.

nuleafjhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

kuwells,

Iowa State will probably hang 50 on us, but other than that your point totals are probably, unfortunately, pretty close.

If the opposing coaches would leave the first teams in though, I think every one of those teams could put up 1,000 yards on us no problem.

Michael Sillman 4 years, 6 months ago

I've been a supporter of Gill and I still am but he needs to do something in a hurry to bring hope back to the KU fan base. Even though they are good guys, the defensive coaching staff is not getting it done.

As the CEO of the football team, one Gill's responsbilities is to hold management staff accountable and go hire new people when necessary. Perhaps he could pull in one of the big name coaches out of work as a consultant then go for a new defensive coaching staff for next year.

I certainly don't have my head in the sand. After the improvement of last week, this was a kick in the head.

hawk316 4 years, 6 months ago

I appreciate Zenger's passion. The Jayhawk nation want and expect more from our football program than what we've seen. These results are discouraging, frustrating and totally unacceptable. So, do we fire Gill?

NO. History repeatedly has revealed numerous coaches who began with dismal records, but when given time, were able to turn losing programs around. To think of firing Gill after two seasons would be premature.

Can Gill succeed in this monumental task (KU is unquestionably one of the most difficult coaching jobs in the Big XII)? Two things suggest that he can. First, his ability to recruit. We have seen significant improvement in talent after one recruiting class. Put two or three of those in succession, and we're talking about a much different team. Secondly, this man is able to inspire his players and staff. Any coach who can keep his players believing in themselves after this string of humiliating losses has something special to offer.

I repeat, can Gill succeed? No one knows for sure, but one thing is certain, we'll never know if we don't give him a fighting chance. I, for one, am pulling for him because I love what he stands for.

AzNHawk 4 years, 6 months ago

I totally agree with this post. A post that I can understand after scrolling through all the "FIRE GILL" posts.

I guess it's just you and me hawk316.

Kent Wells 4 years, 6 months ago

I can say at this point - I think that 2 years isn't totally fair. But it all goes down to play calling and the progression of the team. Continuing to run the ball between the tackles in the third quarter when the defense has adjusted and the play is not resulting in positive yardage is meaningful. It just makes no sense. I know the game is over, but you continue to execute and try to win. 2nd and 300 and you run the ball- 3rd and 300 and you run the ball. STUPID.

Then, remember all the Mangino BS when it came out that they had never executed an onside kick. ONE freaking second left and you kick away. Why not run an onside kick? Sure the clock will expire, So what, you just might need to make that play against ISU. And the clock will expire anyway on the kickoff. Get some experience. Keep sawing wood.

I guess it is easy to sit here and complain, but I can see no tangible evidence we are going anywhere as a program. Except in this downward spiral. Unacceptable. So, perhaps I am a heavy lean to put some HEAVY pressure on Gill and see what happens.

David Robinett 4 years, 6 months ago

Agreed. No one can turn this around in two years, and if we fire Gill we we just repeat the cycle. All you same folks will be calling for the next coaches head after one year.

(a) who do you think would take this job (and stay)? (b) do you honestly think anyone can turn it around in two years? (c) do you think anyone can recruit any better? (d) we are in at least the 2nd toughest conference, which makes progress more difficult (we only had two non-conf games to show improvement, record-wise; KSU could schedule 4 patsies back when they were trying to improve.

The key is recruiting and Gill can do that. This off-season his staff will focus on D (and we'll get a new, proven DC, which will lead to improvement next year).

All the horrible deficits are a result of the defensive side of the ball. How in the world do you expect him to fix that in the middle of the season?

The naysayers need to look above the weeds and bugs of these losses and see the big picture. It even took Snyder (and Mangino and Mason) time to turn around their programs.

Rich Noever 4 years, 6 months ago

daverinoku, I hope you are right. I know it takes time, but let's face it, I don't remember any time when it was "acceptable" to give up more than 600 yards and call it improvement. By the way, Oklahoma had 3 scores called back. It could have been a lot worse. I do know that during Mangino's second year there was a feeling that things were going the right way. No such feeling now. If they want to give him one more year, ok I guess but I don't think he is qualified for the job. I would think at the Big XII level, a coarch should at minimum be a D-1 head coach or an offensive or defensive coordinator. TG has none of those qualifications.

kansasredlegs 4 years, 6 months ago

Disagree, Bill Snyder absolutely could have and has got K-State a cowtown in the middle of freakin' Kansas back on the national map. Since his return, he is 6-6 (year 1) 7-5 (year 2) 7-0 (year 2.5), so it can be done, just can't keep trying to find the next Terry Allen, but we did it again.

Yosemite 4 years, 6 months ago

Have you looked to see what he has recruited so far for next year? That class looks very weak.

Kyle Sybesma 4 years, 6 months ago

I love what he stands for too but what I'm seeing on the field gives me no confidence that he will be successful even when the recruits come or become seniors. His play calling is highly questionable and the defensive set up on that long completion before half to set up the field goal was called out by the announcers before the ball was snapped.

We need a clear idea of what success will look like for the rest of the season because wins are not in the cards. Even against Iowa St. If we're not competitive for the remainder of the season what gives us the hope that we will be next year? These games have been over at halftime.

Ross Cargo 4 years, 6 months ago

Gill has to move on a new defensive coordinator and he needs to do so now. It is the one way he can show fans he is serious about the dire straits the KU defense is in.

Allowing all the records and being the butt end of a national joke will not get you out of the toilet.

troutsee 4 years, 6 months ago

It is not the fact that his record is horrible here or that we have lost but it is how we have lost and how totally unprepared the team appeared to be in those losses. I was all for Gill to make it but it is obvious that he does not have it and he needs to go and go quickly or the Williams fund will get very little money next year the the season FB ticket sales will be woeful. Gill needs to go and sooner than later. By keeping him we are saying, "Hey, it's just fine to get blown out week after week. It's just fine for our fans to know that the other team is going to score every time it gets the ball." He might be able to recruit but he can't coach. I refuse to believe that KSU's talent level is that much greater than ours. Hell, Terrry Allen was better than this guy. There is no hope, and without hope fan support and money will dry up and we will continue to hear those awful words, "Oh well, Kansas is just a basketball school." A t the most critical time in our football history, we have become the laughing stock of college football.

jayhawker4real 4 years, 6 months ago

Where is this so called "significant improvement in talent"? If you are talking about the plethora of young players at running back, where were they today? There certainly has been nothing else visible this season for you to be talking about talent wise.

Turner Gill is a nice guy, but he is not a great football coach. He has done nothing here to prove otherwise. Bill Snyder is a great football coach. He has done nothing but prove that.

You don't employ a Division 1 football coach because he is a nice guy and Sheahon Zenger knows that. Turner Gill knows it. You should become aware of it hawk316.

Mandie Eutsler 4 years, 6 months ago

I have to disagree. I don't see inspired players on the field. I see out of shape, undisciplined kids who need a coach. He's throwing them to the wolves every week. We don't have time to wait for him. If we want to secure a place in a BCS conference we need to get better now. I also like what he stands for. He should spend some time at the Boy's and Girl's clubs of America instead of being a head coach in the Big 12. I'm sure he's a great person, but this season with all of the conference shake ups that means nothing. We need a competitive team.

JakeBarnes 4 years, 6 months ago

There is a word for my feeling after reading this post, but I think it is against the rules to use such vile language.

Expectations from KU fans for KU football have never been exceptional. Why should they be. However, the bunch in charge now are worse than any I remember in fifty years. They certainly are below our traditional expectations of high mediocre achievement.

straightforward 4 years, 6 months ago

It's totally unreasonable to expect one person to turn around a football program in a year or two. Sure, we can fire him, but then we'll find ourselves right back in this situation in two or three years. Give Gill the time he deserves to instill his players and his system.

Unfortunately Zenger will probably cave and give in to donor pressure. He's a weak AD. It scares me that he represents us in the conference realignment saga.

topflight 4 years, 6 months ago

It is not unreasonable to expect a coach and his team to be competitive in his second year. Not winning every game, but also not setting the record for the worst Defense in Division I football. EVER. I am willing to gamble on a new coach to at least compete in this league. A weak AD. You are clueless to everything related to this team.

Mangino_Maniac 4 years, 6 months ago

Exactly... be competitive.

Mangino had us in the Tangerine Bowl in his second year with six wins.

KSAuburnFan 4 years, 6 months ago

Mangino didn't have to play the #3, #4, #11, #22, #24 ranked teams that year either. Loaded up on a weak schedule and barely got bowl eligible, then got beat by 30 in the bowl.

This was all with an experienced team, including a senior at the most important position on offense.

Mandie Eutsler 4 years, 6 months ago

I am having a hard time with the term "turn around a football program". That's what Mangino did. He got us an Orange Bowl Trophy. There wasn't anything for Gill to "turn around". We may have lost those last 7 games, but they were competitive. Not to mention the fact that Mangino had lost his defense after the Orange Bowl, Meier and Reesing were injured most of the season. Those losses weren't blowouts. Gill's system obviously stinks. We are way worse than we were last year. The play calling is terrible and these kids are undisciplined. We should have hired him to be a recruiter and a QB coach. Bottom line, this isn't about simply losing. This is about being embarrassed every week....

Bville Hawk 4 years, 6 months ago

"He's a weak AD."

Where do you get this weak AD b.s.? What are you basing that statement on? Give some examples to back up that statement.

Raymond Wright 4 years, 6 months ago

Dismall record is one thing, playing to blowouts is another

Ethan Berger 4 years, 6 months ago

Its not even blowouts. Its how we are getting blown out. Shooting ourselves in the foot, a bad play happens and suddenly they score 30. I can live with getting blown out by OSU 56-7 if it was the whole game. I can handle OU losing by 30, I cannot stand watching our defense do the same thing over and over, and our play calling starts to look good then drops right away.

Kyle Sybesma 4 years, 6 months ago

I too was optimistic after the OU blowout. We played the whole game and made OU earn it. You're right we continue to give our opponent 30 points every game.

Randy Bombardier 4 years, 6 months ago

Give TG one more year. Ask him if he will resign at the end of the year if he does not meet a certain standard. Ask him to come up with some performance standards, W's, team stats, turnover margin, penalties, and other indicators that the team is getting better. Reach an agreement with AD that he will resign if those goals are not met. He has every right to say, "We have an agreement. If you don't like my performance, fire me." Yet, I think he will do the honorable thing if he cannot reach his own goals. Because his reputation is at stake, I think he will respond to this approach. He has publicly said such things as championships, dynasty, and so forth. Pretty high standards. I think he will want to save KU some pain and money since the University gave him a shot. I think he will get one more year, but may ask for two. I believe that this can be worked out here. We are not dealing with a prima donna. You guys sure you want Mike Leach?

Mark Lindrud 4 years, 6 months ago

Yes to Leach. He is a gambler, aggressive and a winner. He has passion and holds his players accountable. I am not saying Gill isn't passionate and doesn't hold his players accountable, but he is so reserved in his approach when this is college football, D1 football where you need to have some fire, passion in your belly and you just don't see it with this team.

Leach maybe nutty, but he wins and he instills fire in his teams and a never quit attitude.

chipmunk1956 4 years, 6 months ago

Leach is probably "untouchable" because he sued the univ. that fired him. Not a good "PR" move for continuing a coaching career.

Jack McEnaney 4 years, 6 months ago

come on, give me a chance. Why would you let this current tenure stay? What part of it do you like that I couldnt give you? Do you like giving up 60points per game more, or is it the 600 yards off offense? Do you really believe things will change? What was the difference between last years 59 to 7 win and this years game? Those extra 14 points were earned by ksu going into prevent defense.

RibMan 4 years, 6 months ago

I don't think Gill is qualified to be an offensive coordinator in a big time college football program. That's a red flag. Like Herm Edwards-- Herm didn't have the ability to coordinate a defense, yet he was in charge of the team.

Gill is a good man who is not in a position to succeed. He won't be hired by a top football program after he is let go.

I hope this happens as soon as the season ends.

Randy Bombardier 4 years, 6 months ago

P.S. Next hire, build performance standards into contract and don't offer a contract to anyone, anyone without them. Not reaching standards is cause for termination. Perhaps even better, don't offer a contract or employment agreement at all. Go year to year.

haydenhawkco 4 years, 6 months ago

No contract is a design for revolving coaches. It can also backfire. If you get a coach who does a great job and then his dream job comes calling, he's out and KU is back to square one.

actorman 4 years, 6 months ago

Sorry, but I just don't buy it any more. Speaking as someone who has been for giving Gill another year, I've changed my mind. This is absolutely pathetic! And if anyone wasn't sure, one play should have convinced you: that KSU pass down the middle with 13 seconds left in the first half. A PEEWEE team would have played prevent defense there and not allowed that, and not only did KU allow it but the guy was wide open, with no one even CLOSE to him! And as completely inexcusable as that is, it would be one thing if it happened once, but it happens over and over and over (and over)!

Enough is enough! Let Gill finish out the year, and barring the unexpected happening (like say finishing within 30 points of any team other than ISU), get rid of the whole lot of them. I'm sick of it and the TG apologists need to look at the reality of the fact that it's not just losing games, and it's not even just getting blown out, it's not even being REMOTELY competitive.

Jack McEnaney 4 years, 6 months ago

Hi, I'm Jim Tressel, and I would love to be your next football coach at THE University of Kansas. I have won a national championship, as well as other BCS victories. I am most proud of the fact that I never once lost to my schools rival Michigan during my tenure. If you hire me, I promise not to lose to your little wildcats or tigers EVER. We will win at least two games every year being those two. I will bring the right attitude this school is looking for on and off the field. While I appreciate your current head coach being a decent recruiter, you are not looking to be a mac school are you?? I am a winner, and KU is in need of a winner. My team will not only be a family, but will be fundamentally sound. My defense will be tenacious and will go after the football. Did you watch the players on the field today, turning their back on the quarterback when he had the ball to run after the pitch man? You will never see that again if I am your coach. What you will see is the quarterback picking himself off the ground wondering what day it is. Yes, I will come with a price tag, but you get what you pay for. Would you rather spend two million a year for two wins or five million a year to own the Big 12, 14, 16, whatever. I need a job, the Colts are killing me. Yours,

Jim

HireJimTressel_ku 4 years, 6 months ago

Its a very lonely world in Indianapolis these days. I fly out for New Orleans tomorrow. All I do is look for plays to challenge all day. What kind of challenge is that? If Curt Schilling can be on message boards talking to red sox fans before going to boston, why cant I? I need to restore my legacy, and taking a bottom dweller to the top of the bcs is what I am looking for. Plus I am still pissed at Texas and looking for some payback. Who else is more qualified to take your school to the top? Hands up if you want to be mediocre. (nobody) Hands up if you enjoyed 07 and want another shot at football glory

Bville Hawk 4 years, 6 months ago

You left out the part about leaving no rule unbroken in your quest to achieve wins...

hammerhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

We want Leach!!! We must get rid of Gill and his no names of our players on the backs of their uniforms. Out with him I say (and plead)!

HireJimTressel_ku 4 years, 6 months ago

Would you really rather have Leach over Jim Tressel? How many championships has Leach wo?. Go big or go home. Jim Tressel for KU head coach.

kansasredlegs 4 years, 6 months ago

Perhaps with the hiring of Tressel, he can re-release that Coaching Ethics or Coaching the Right Way book he wrote before "resigning" from THE Ohio State University. Tresses is lucky he didn't get indicted for interfering with a federal investigation when he acted on information he got from that attorney.

John Randall 4 years, 6 months ago

All the things Osborne said about Turner Gill were about him as a person. None of the things Osborne said about Turner Gill were about his ability as a head coach.

Lew Perkins did a fine job on the financial side of things (except for overseeing the money he raised). He also presided over the decline of every program in his department except the one he didn't dare touch with a ten foot pole. Finishing 11th or 12th in the (Director's Cup?) all-sports conference rankings his last few years is the only confirmation of his ineptitude I need.

babyjay1 4 years, 6 months ago

ESPN just quoted Zenger's statement... I think putting that out there is just the first step toward a new head football coach!!

AzNHawk 4 years, 6 months ago

This article says KU is still paying Lew and Mangino. So, if we fire Gill we'll owe him his 6 mil plus the salaries of the rest of the staff. So let's just say 8mil + total PLUS continue to keep paying Mangino and Lew PLUS paying the new coach and his assistants should KU get rid of Gill.

Does the University take a big negative in the bank account or stick it out?

Lowell Holmes 4 years, 6 months ago

I have never felt that Gill was the right man for the job but for those of you still wanting to give him a chance, if the first minute and a half of the second half doesn't give you second thoughts then you just don't get it!

Ross Cargo 4 years, 6 months ago

The last 14 seconds of Half 1 and the first 90 seconds of half 2 pretty much did tip me. I'm tired of this crap.

I actually, would be fine with hiring Tressel. He wants to clear his name. He knows how to coach. He won't drastically rework the offense requiring extra two years to get the right kind of player. He would make it work with what we have.

People will forgive. America is about second chances. Tressel will win games for KU. Tressel will restore respect for KU. Tressel knows what it takes to win at this level. Tressel has won at this level.

Oh, and I doubt there is much of a market in the KC area for KU football paraphernalia. We are not Ohio State.

90sHawk 4 years, 6 months ago

How is a breakdown on the kickoff coverage and 2 fumbles Gill's fault? Sorry guys, but the players have to start taking alot of blame here. I'm in no way defending Gill on this mess, but the players on the field are the ones coughing the ball up and shooting themselves in the foot.

Eric Dawson 4 years, 6 months ago

Why are players of equal or lesser talent in position to make plays on defense and special teams and emphasizing ball security when carrying the football, but KU players are not?

It's called coaching. The results that we see on the field are highly indicative that these issues are not being properly addressed in practice. As in the military, if the training is poor, the actual execution during operations will be poor. If its not drilled into players in practice, it won't miraculously appear on the field.

What we are seeing on the field week after week is prima facie evidence that these issues are not being properly addressed in practice.

And that is poor coaching.

Pitthawk34 4 years, 6 months ago

Sure..he quit Florida and would come to KU. You all need to wake up to reality. Ku or Kstate for that matter is NOT a designation job for football.

gchawk 4 years, 6 months ago

You probably meant "destination job", however, this year it does appear to be a "designation job" for Gill.

Geekinout 4 years, 6 months ago

You never know.... Less pressure situation and he's the type that prides himself in turning programs around. Whoever thought a Lou Holtz would coach a terrible S.C. team? I know it didn't work out that great, but it pushed them in a better direction.

James Kiernan 4 years, 6 months ago

No I DO know. He won't come here. He'll be at Ohio State or Notre Dame next.

txjhawk77 4 years, 6 months ago

Anyone that would get the team to play inspired - not like they played against state rival k-state - would be an improvement.

Geekinout 4 years, 6 months ago

My gosh, prove it to me then! Why would you not start looking for a replacement now that can get on the recruiting trail? Prove that you have the balls and aren't soft and predictable like KU's play-calling has been this entire season. I'm sure there are plenty of alumni with the money to make G-ill disappear happy with his pockets loaded. I've only seen this team get worse and I do think we have enough talent to at least not get spanked every loss. If there were signs of improvement and it looked like we were heading somewhere, then I'd buy in. Seeing players getting time on the field, while committing mistake after mistake, shows that he's lacking the discipline that is required to win the big ones when you add it all up. He never gets in any of these guys face to fire them up...

I had to watch Snyder all game long show more spirit, drive, and fire than Gill. Yes, a guy that has one foot in the retirement home showed more fight in him than Gill. I've never seen Gill go off on officials for suspect calls, all game I saw Snyder in the ref's ear. The fact that I am giving that old bag of bones that much credit makes me nauseous and ashamed how insignificant KU football has become. Welcome back to the Dark Ages!

Mangino_Maniac 4 years, 6 months ago

I had the same thoughts when I saw Snyder today.

Sam Constance 4 years, 6 months ago

Since Gill was hired, I've been skeptically cautious. I was worried that a guy who had only shown a single season of success, at a level below where KU plays, was not experienced enough or equipped to handle the demands of coaching in the Big 12. However, I have maintained that as bad as some of the moments have looked for Gill's young tenure, as long as there was marginal improvement, Gill needed to be given time to at least have a season with his own recruits as upperclassmen. Aside from not wanting to go through another coaching change if po, I wanted to make sure there was no possibility of making a mistake and getting rid of a guy who, after some REALLY rough years, would end up being the answer.

No more.

The Oklahoma game was a small victory. The giant leaps taken backwards against KSU erase any shed of positivity from the OU game.

After a game, I don't think I--as a casual fan--should feel like I had information that the coaching staff didn't. I would need two hands to count the number of times I muttered to myself "watch for the QB to carry it", followed by a long run or TD by Klein. Was Gill and his staff AWARE that Klein is the leading rusher on the team? Do they even know he runs? I'm also tired of seeing our defensive backs CONSTANTLY five yards away from their man. If that's a consistent problem, it's hard not to wonder if the coaching staff is putting the players in the right places to make plays, rather than the players just having no capacity to retain information or learn from mistakes.

I hate the idea of paying Gill to not coach, but I also hate the idea of having five more years of this, and since Year 1 looks pretty similar to Year 2, it's hard to think anything is going to measurably change in three more years. I agree that two years is an unfair amount of time to evaluate a head coach, but I also think that $2 million is an unfair amount of money to take home each year to learn how to coach. If Gill came to Zenger and offered to take a major pay cut until the on-field results improved, I'd be happy as a clam to give Gill the time he deserves. I can't blame Gill for taking the money he was offered, but I'm also not going to feel bad about cutting his time short. With higher pay comes higher expectations.

(to be continued...)

Sam Constance 4 years, 6 months ago

(...continued)

The comparison to Bill Self's first-round losses (from Toto-the-Great) is a terrible one. For starters, losing in the first round of the NCAA tournament is nowhere near as embarrasing as losing on a weekly basis in blowout fashion. Part of what makes a first-round tourney loss tough to deal with is a team having a high seed. KU won Big 12 conference championships in the two years he lost in the first round, as a #3 seed (2005) and a #4 seed (2006). The biggest moment of Gill's 1.5 years was a win over an overrated GT team last year, and outside of that moment, his teams have shown nothing but the ability to get manhandled and embarrass the entire KU fanbase. Comparing anything that Self has done to anything Gill has done is an insult to Bill Self.

Turner Gill's record has absolutely no bearing on my change of heart. KU is a difficult place to create consistently winning football and I understand that. Gill could have the exact same 5-13 record and I would still be clamoring for him to get a full class through the program... if he wasn't showing no signs of improvement on a play-to-play, game-to-game, or season-to-season basis.

At this point, the burden of proof is on Gill. There is no point to firing him mid-season, so he officially has five games to show me that there is a reason to believe he has any answers whatsoever as head coach. Honestly, giving Misery a nice, get-out-of-the-conference kick in the pants would go a long way to bring me back over to his side. But at this point, it's on him. No more benefit of the doubt.

Oh yeah, thanks Lew. Thanks a lot. Not sure what about your time at KU could possibly be considered positive.

hawksfan08 4 years, 6 months ago

Spot on. You forgot to mention the fact that the coaching staff has failed to make a single positive adjustment at halftime of any game this season though.

manginodrh00lz 4 years, 6 months ago

Way too long...I gave up after 2 sentences. You have failed this forum. Keep comments concise.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 4 years, 6 months ago

You remind me of a kid I know that has ADHD. He can't concentrate on anything more complex than a couple sentences.

Did you watch too much TV before age 2? Must have. You seem to struggle with complex propositions that don't involve sloganeering.

Sam Constance 4 years, 6 months ago

I don't write to the lowest common intelligence denominator. Sorry.

John Randall 4 years, 6 months ago

But you do write at the lowest level of comprehension.

A 'denominator' is part of a fraction, not a measure of any component of intelligence or accomplishment.

Using big words is impressive only when you use them correctly.

Krohnutz 4 years, 6 months ago

Lew sure knew how to make money for the program, but wow.... Look where he spent it.

Seriously, I have been neutral to Coach Gill to this point, but I have never been more embarrassed as a KU alumni in my life.

We are record-breakingly pathetic.

Brian Skelly 4 years, 6 months ago

Id be stunned if Turner Gill was actually fired after this season. I wouldnt be shocked if he's forced to can some coaches and 'reset' there. The cost to buy him out is significant, and while I dont think that cost is the issue we all think it is, doing that AND shelling out the jack for a new football coach -- weather of prominence (impossible), once of prominence (possible, but not likely), or some young coordinator (likely) -- seems unlikely.

Id prefer that scenario, but I see almost no shot at relieving Gill of his duties. At least not until after next year.

KULostBoy 4 years, 6 months ago

People, this is D1 football, which means it is about winning and money. NO more excuses. No matter how great of a person Gill is, he is apparently not ready for prime time. The defense staff is obviously inept and the coordinator should be fired immediately. Nobody is at the helm, anyway, so what difference will it make. KU will not win any more games this year, regardless. I am embarrassed, and I graduated from KU decades ago when the football program was only moderately inept, not a total loss. We ALL simply pray for for B-Ball season to start, and hide our faces and make excuses during football season. If Gill is truly an honorable person, he will offer his resignation now, effective the end of the season, and not demand payment for the rest of his contract. No one, except Wall Street, pays people millions of dollars to people who consistently lose while embarrassing their employer in the national media. And even Wall Street is finally catching some %^#& for it. KU will never be successful in football until the donors and school pay for a high profile, successful, and hopefully honest head coach - whoever that may be (not Tressel, Leach or Stoops). Can Bill Self coach football???

Hank Cross 4 years, 6 months ago

Bingo. He is a paid professional receiving 2 mill a year whose team is being humiliated every week. He deserves no sympathy or points for being a 'good guy.'

Mangino_Maniac 4 years, 6 months ago

The house is burning to the ground and instead of calling the fire department our leaders are saying how the roof will get 'fixed'.... unreal.

cg1029 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm sick of the loser talk from fans... We have never been a football school... Mangino had one good year... IF we fire Gill who would take the job... That is not the point... If you strive to be the best Gill's tenure as coach is unacceptable. Players have not progressed, the defense is a joke, and the offense is not much better. The offense only looks better compared to the abortion of last year. look at the facts KU averages 16 pts per game in the Big 12 in Gills tenure that is not acceptable in any way shape of form.

If KU wants to be a football program Sheahon needs to be on the phone right now calling BIG NAME COACHES and asking one question... HOW MUCH WILL IT TAKE FOR YOU TO COME TO KU? Pay a big name coach a BIG $$$ and end the abuse of KU fans now. IF KU IS WILLING to make a serious $$$ commitment to football big name coaches will listen. Personally I would start with Philip Fulmer and start the Bidding in the 3 Million... Make it hard for them to say no to you.

Jeff Coffman 4 years, 6 months ago

4 bowl years in 8 years. I'm not on the hire MM back campaign, but don't undermind some of his accomplishments.

John Randall 4 years, 6 months ago

4 bowls in 8 years, when half the FBS schools go each year is not that great an accomplishment. It is better than some schools who almost never go, not as good as many schools who nearly always go, but on the whole, it is just par for the course. Comparing to earlier coaches (when only 4,6,8,12 bowls were played each year) is hardly legitimate.

Mangino's 50-48 record mirrors almost exactly the history of KU football – a few glittering highs, some dismal lows, and the very definition of mediocre overall (0.504 w-l % in 120 years). Those of us who liked him don't mention the in-conference numbers.

741hawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Mangino was only the best coach (who coached more than two years) in the history of the program. for example: No coach took KU to as many bowl games. (Do you see a bowl game in our immediate future?)

Eric Dawson 4 years, 6 months ago

You must learn your KUFB history. Would a Notre Dame alum say that Holtz or Parseghian were better than Rockne because they coached a newer version of the game?

Look at coaches who were at KU >= 2 years. Mangino is #11 in career W-L%. G? is Games Coached, Won-Lost-Tied, W-L%. C instead of G = Conference. Sorry re: the formatting.

Name................... Yrs/Seasons// GC //GW-GL-GT// W-L% // CW-CL-CT // C% Wylie G. Woodruff 1897–1898/ 2 // 18 // 15 - 3 - 0 // 0.833 // — — — // — A. R. Kennedy.......1904–1910/ 7 // 65 // 52 - 9 - 4 // 0.831 // 9 3 1 // 0.731 George Sauer........1946–1947/ 2 // 21 // 15 - 3 - 3 // 0.786 // 8 1 1 // 0.850 Herman Olcott.......1915–1917/ 2 // 24 // 16 - 7 - 1 // 0.688 // 7 4 1 // 0.625 Hector Cowan........1894–1896/ 3 // 23 // 15 - 7 - 1 // 0.674 // — — — // — A. W. Shepard.......1892–1893/ 2 // 15 //. 9 - 6 - 0 // 0.600 // — — — // — Jules V. Sikes.......1948–1953/ 6 // 60 // 35 -25 - 0 // 0.583 //18 18 0 // 0.500 Arthur Mosse........1912–1913/ 2 // 16 //. 9 - 7 - 0 // 0.563 // 4 4 0 // 0.500 Bill Hargiss...........1928–1932/ 5 // 42 // 22 -18 - 2 // 0.548 //8 11 1 // 0.425 Jack Mitchell.........1958–1966/ 9 // 91 // 44 -42 - 5 // 0.511 //29 28 4 // 0.508 Mark Mangino.......2002–2009/ 8 // 98 // 50 -48 - 0 // 0.510 //23 41 0 // 0.359

Even limiting it to coaches with > 2 year terms, he's only #6 in KU career W-L%. He is the best since Jack Mitchell left after 1966, but that's not saying a lot.

And if you insist on maintaining that Mangino is the best KU coach on record because he took KU to 4 bowls, you are still wrong. You can't use that yardstick because it's been altered over time.

Previous KU coaches did not enjoy a college FB world of Joe's Garage Bowls that offered every .500 team a chance for postseason play. Since no earlier coach enjoyed so many bowl opportunities each year, saying Mangino is better based on that is simply unsupportable.

Year #Bowls 1980: 15 1990: 19 2000: 25 2003: 28 (year of 1st Mangino bowl team, L -> 6-7) 2005: 28 (2nd bowl team, W -> 7-5) 2007: 32 (W -> 12-1) 2008: 34 (W -> 8-5) 2009: 34 in Mangino's last year

While at KU Mason faced a field of 18 bowl games max, and went to and won 2. Based on his record, if he had the 28 to 34 available games Mangino enjoyed, Mason's KU teams would also have gone to 4.

In a similar vein, Mitchell's teams probably would have gone to 6 bowls based on their records.

Again, after adjusting for available games, Jules Sikes' teams today would have gone bowling for 5 of the 6 years he coached KU.

Mangino is clearly the winningest coach in KU history, but then he coached more games than anyone else in KU history, so we would hope he was.

Did Mangino arguably coach the best team in KU history for 1 year? Fans of the 1969 Orange Bowl team might argue that, but at least you have a foundation for that argument that can be defended.

But Mangino = "Best KU coach ever" cannot be defended.

vd 4 years, 6 months ago

Thank you for showing the FACTS to the MM lovers. It won't do any good though, cause you are arguing with brick walls.

Sam Constance 4 years, 6 months ago

Mangino took KU to more bowl games in an era when bowl games grow on trees, and he should have taken us to two more than he did.

Mangino was a great "in-bewteen" coach, to take a terrible program to respectable, and he got a bum deal from Perkins in the way he was forced out.

But he was not the long-term answer at head coach for KU football.

manginodrh00lz 4 years, 6 months ago

You have definitely failed. Not only with your avatar but with your comments. I ban you from this forum. Be gone.

Gregor Southard 4 years, 6 months ago

Marty would make us competive. Welcome back, Boogerlegger!

Jayhawk1116 4 years, 6 months ago

Holy God, you're like a kid who's learned a new word with your "You have failed..." crap. I never thought I would say this, but you are way more irritating than apher.

Jeff Coffman 4 years, 6 months ago

I know that this is going to be an uphill battle. I knew that HCTG would get this year complete without an early firing even if every game was ugly. However things need to be considered. Like for instance he burned a red-shirt last week, and I wonder how many redshirts he burned this year. Last year he burned Mecham's red-shirt year when he transferred partly because of injury, but this year, he has burned it in a duty of finish the games, because Webb is getting crushed.

Also, recruiting is going to be ugly this year (again).

I would hope that if they are considering HCTG for a third season, they need to make a DC coordinator change now. It is clear that HCTG doesn't know much about the Defense and the coaches currently in there are over their heads. I'm hoping that they make a change in that earlier than later. I'm not saying the offense is great, but clearly the defense needs to do something and something soon.

I would imagine that even without the buyout, there is going to be some negotiation on the buyout. Although it might not be $6, it might be $2-$3, which still isn't cheap.

Names are good to talk about for coaching. I've heard some good ones and clearly we need someone that has a defensive mind. I'm hoping that we either go with a proven Head Coach or a Coordinator that has years of experience in an effective defense.

I would admit we are never going to get the supreme recruits, we will need to develop players, but we need someone that can coach the players.

I'm just curious if we are going to be competitive in any game this year.

Never been a HCTG fan and he is struggling to develop talent.

stubert 4 years, 6 months ago

I now understand why bubba did not take the a.d, job To bad we ended up with a wantta be

741hawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Bubba didn't take the job cause Bernadette told him he couldn't fire Gill. (What irony. Now he's at North Carolina.)

Paul Christiansen 4 years, 6 months ago

It's unfortunate Sheahon Zenger is new to the job.

The football team fiasco goes all the way up the ladder to the Chancellor.

hawksfanatic 4 years, 6 months ago

Mr. Zenger: I have an idea. Perhaps instead of looking for a new coach and losing all that buyout money, we should look for a new league. Having watched KU football with a heavy heart for more years than I care to remember, and becoming increasingly despondent this year, I propose the WTF League. You can figure out the acronym, but F stands for Football. Right. So, I propose the new league invite these members: Minnesota, Duke, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Indiana and Northwestern as its initial members in addition to KU. I was thinking of adding UNC and Vanderbilt, but they may be too good - sometimes. I realize that some will want to include KSU and Missouri in this league, but in consideration of how they usually whip our butts in F, I would decline. Or perhaps we should just drop football altogether because, except for two or three years out of 40, we just can't field a decent team. And I, for one, have had it with "wait until basketball season."

Jeff Coffman 4 years, 6 months ago

I've heard some less than great options, but I think you just took the award for positively the most ridiculous and stupid idea I have ever heard.

We are in the Big XII, and right now is considered one of the top programs in both basketball and football.

Rather than try to make excuses maybe we should actually do something about our poor coaching system.

vd 4 years, 6 months ago

Washington State. Colorado. Arizona. Add these to the list.

Ethan Berger 4 years, 6 months ago

We will not or should not hire Mangino, Leech, Tressel, or any coach that has had some kind of negative history. First and foremost, the NCAA will have a telescope on our program, one lil slip up with this guys could mean losing schollies. 2nd, since the news came out about these coaches, it might hard to get quality recruits to jump on board. No player wants to be verbally abused and locked in a locker. 3rd. There are so many good coordinators that have never been a HC that we should attempt to get. We aren't going to get a nice proven coach before the big schools jump on board. We are a stepping stone for coaches. Lets take advantage of that, and hopefully we can build up to change that.

kansasredlegs 4 years, 6 months ago

Leach was fired because one of the "Pony Express" has a national TV gig and Leach had no venue to fight back. When Leach wins his lawsuit, I hope he wears his pirate suit and plays that song "How ya like me now" with all that cash falling out his pockets... Mike Leach would be a heck of a hire!

danmoore 4 years, 6 months ago

So we get rid of a coach for abusing his players and replace him with one who was fired for the same reason?

Hope you don't have your heart set on Leach. I think the chances of that happening are only slightly better than winning the lottery.

Ethan Berger 4 years, 6 months ago

I agree that it was all bogus, I have many friends that go to Tech and know that James was in a huge building not a shed. But now there is doubt about him. You know how hard it is to recruit with a guy who is accused of mentally abusing his injured players? Maybe in 5/10 years but not now.

Sam Constance 4 years, 6 months ago

Agreed. Leach was fired by the "Worldwide Leader" giving an employee a national stage to air his personal grievances with Leach.

The first time I saw SportsCenter let Craig James have an uninterrupted monologue about the Texas Tech situation, I knew that Leach was done. At that point, the facts didn't matter. ESPN had decided to take sides, eschewing all remaining sense of journalistic integrity.

And honestly, I can't really blame Tech for firing him--who really wants their school to be on ESPN's sh*t list?

That being said, KU is in a tough position to hire Leach. Whatever you believe about Mangino's or Leach's firings, the public perception would reflect really poorly on KU, firing a guy for player abuse, then hiring someone who was let go for player abuse.

Unfortunately, Sweet Lew comes back to bite us again, first by firing a guy in a way that made it all but impossible to hire the best replacement, then hiring a terrible football coach.

Lew Perkins: Worst. AD. Ever. Thanks Hemenway!

kellerman411 4 years, 6 months ago

I've supported Gill since he got here but, those back to back timeouts he called when KU had the ball in the redzone exposed his lack of confidence and experience. The great coaches already know what they are going to do on 4th down before they even run the 3rd down play, depending on what happens. When he called timeout he didn't need to speak with his offense, he needed time to think.

Gill needs to fire his secondary coach and pull the scholarships from Barfield and the rest of the secondary players. Those are all D-2 guys. I've never seen anything that bad at this level of comperition. The kids can't even lineup right and forget about man coverage.

Next he needs to find someone he trusts to call plays and stick to the recruiting.

Lastly, I think he should hold the kids more accountable. When our safety completely blew that coverage with a few seconds left in the first half, Gill should have wanted to kick a gatorade cooler across Kansas and maybe he did but it doesn't show. Being cool is one thing but after a play like that you need to let the kids (and the fans) know how piss poor of a job that was. Obviously we don't see how he is in the locker room, perhaps he is a firey guy but it doesn't show in public.

Turner Gill will likely get a 3rd year here at Kansas. That's normally the minimum for a credible guy like Gill. I still think he can get it going.

John Randall 4 years, 6 months ago

Evidence that he has not is a different thing than conjecture that he will not.

Many of the obvious shortcomings, especially on defense, are the kind of things coaches should be working out on a high school field in the boonies, at the prevailing minimum wage.

One sure way to fool opponents is to change plans often enough your own players don't know what's happening either.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 4 years, 6 months ago

The Mike Leach idea would certainly create some buzz with recruits, you can't argue that. It's like when Huggins came to K-State....boom.....Beasley, higher national profile, etc. that continues to this day.

Would be better than another Turner Gill.....

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 4 years, 6 months ago

Leach won a lot of games at Tech....showing that he actually could coach.

Logic fail.

DB Ashton 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm for Leach. Tomorrow. We've had the pig and the pius. Let's go for the pirate. He'll lose, too, but it'll be entertaining. Kansas football is not a serious proposition. Let's have some fun!

manginodrh00lz 4 years, 6 months ago

You sold me. What coach wouldn't want to come to KU to "have some fun"?
Idiot. You have failed this forum and yourself.

90sHawk 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm for giving Gill at least another year, if not 2. I have a shred of faith left that after another recruiting class or 2, with his first full class in their 3rd year, the ship will have turned the corner. However, the one exception has to be these kind of losses. Once we get into conference play next year, if he strings 3 blowout losses together like he's been doing, he has got to go. Realize people, if we fire him now and go get another coach, he'll be an unproven guy as well. No big name coach is coming here, and that is just the way it is. IF Gill is able to get things going in the right direction, I don't believe him to be the type of guy who will bail on us at first opportunity like alot of coaches would. Additionally, I don't see many, if any, comments from people laying blame at the players feet. Gill shouldn't be the only one taking fire, how about spitting some towards the guys actually playing the game as well.

danmoore 4 years, 6 months ago

My patience with Coach Gill is running thin but I am not in favor of firing him. I want to see what he can do with his own recruits. Firing a coach after two years sends a bad message to future head coaches, OC's and DC's. The risk of one more year is only another losing season but if he can turn this program around the reward could be huge.

Darin Bradley 4 years, 6 months ago

Lots of passionate posts. Actually thought most would be off doing something else after today's performance. I have to wonder what fans see in Zenger's history that suggests he can land a top coach to come to Kansas? I think his hire as an AD was just a hasty as the Gill hire. Yes, he coached and has done some recruiting but none of that experience was close to BCS expectations. I'm sorry but its hard to get fired up over a Dr.of Journalism. He's shown nothing to date. His connections are not in talent rich areas. Someone please show me what I'm missing w/ this guy! Would love to "believe" he can do something w/ this mess but he appears to be no better.. which is a long winded way of saying be careful what you wish for. Throwing money at the next available coach wont turn the program around.

Rock Chalk

Bville Hawk 4 years, 6 months ago

d_bradley27, I think you are way off base in your assessment of SZ. I don't know the man personally, but I do know something of his family. His father was one of 5 or 6 brothers. I DID know personally all of the brothers (but not his dad). Every one of those guys was very smart and incredibly hard working. I would bet good money that SZ is cut from the same thread. I have no doubt in my mind that he has the smarts and cajones and work ethic to do whatever the job requires.

ejlumus 4 years, 6 months ago

First things first ..... fire the larda$$ strength and conditioning coach.

Hire a Navy Seal to put some fight in these players.

Pitthawk34 4 years, 6 months ago

The way we look out there, I would not be suprised at all if Richard Simmons was actually our strength and conditioning coach.

SCJayhawker 4 years, 6 months ago

Good point. I heard from some players that the techniques he teaches are wrong. All players are forced to lift the same weight no matter how strong or big they are. Punters and D linemen are curling the same weight. Poor techniques are developed as players try to cheat up the weights. Its too hard to have individualized programs for each player. That would be just too much to ask of our coaching staff. They have more important things to do I'm sure then to really work on helping each player get better. Maybe we could call the players HS Coaches and get the lifting programs they used in HS. WHILE WERE AT IT LETS GET THE AVERAGE HS COACH TO TEACH THEM HOW TO DO IT RIGHT!!!!!!

elkwc36 4 years, 6 months ago

I will just say after the K-State Prince fiasco which I was against from the start I do feel for the fans and players at KU. I hope to see KU competitive in the future. I have one question. Did Gill not retain the strength coach that is now at K-State or did the coach leave when Mangino was fired? He is one reason K-State is doing so well and I always heard so many positive things about him while he was with KU. I hope he stays around a while. Strength and conditioning were optional with Prince. And his strength coach wasn't very demanding. The current one is and you can tell a difference in their stamina and also less severe injuries. Best of luck in the remaining games.

Eric Dawson 4 years, 6 months ago

Chris Dawson was sent packing by Lew Perkins along with the rest of Mangino's staff. Huge, HUGE mistake, would love it if we could get him back.

John Percival 4 years, 6 months ago

The play before the end of the half is a fireable offense whether it's Gill or Shealy.

SCJayhawker 4 years, 6 months ago

As a season ticket holder I cannot accept this any longer. To listen to the moronic chants of KSU Wildats echo through OUR empty stadium is the finial straw! While most, if not all the players on the team support Coach Gill, he must now take desperate steps to save his own skin. He must fire the D - Coord. He must also fire Coach Mitchell. I know for a fact he is a problem. The so called recruit coord. has not even spoken to many of the players or their families while they were being recruited. His "ya know, ahhhh ya know.....ya knows" when being iterviewed on the radio make him, and the university, sound like illiterate idiots. Coach Gill is not long for this job if he does not clean house. It maybe too late. As for this season ticket holder the line is now drawn in the sand.

Sam Constance 4 years, 6 months ago

Hey, go easy on the 'Cat fans. They are just practicing their spelling charts.

Ben Kliewer 4 years, 6 months ago

Turner Gill = KU's Ron Prince.

All of you still singing this "2 years isn't enough time" song need to pull your heads out.

Two years is enough time to actually show something. Gill has shown only that he has the ability to drive this entire program into the ground.

We haven't just had two bad years. We've had two historically bad years. Record breaking bad years. Worse than Terry Allen bad years. Worst years in program history bad years. The cupboard was not bare when Gill inherited the team, and all he has managed to do is wreck the offense and then make it better than it was last year, which is still leagues behind where it was the year before he came.

Screw Perkins nailed us when he left by hiring this unproven, untalented coach.

Gill has made it abundantly clear that he does not have the ability to coach in the Big 12. He had one good year in the MAC because of a few extenuating circumstances outside of the Buffalo program.

Bottom line: Gill is not a good football coach. He needs to go coach 8-Man at a high school in Nebraska somewhere, where his "skills" will be appreciated.

Bion Ostrander 4 years, 6 months ago

Ug, well the only good thing is this loss should seal Gill's fate, and Long, and Shealy! I remember in the 1st Qtr. KU was pinned at their 10 yard line, they ran one of those slow hand-off sweeps to the right and Beshears dropped for a 3 yard loss, the very next play KU runs the same play to the left for a 2 yard loss. Its difficult to determine who is the worst coach, who put these clowns together. But they are laughing all the way to the bank....Gill, Purple Rain, the coach formerly known as Prince!

John Randall 4 years, 6 months ago

We've know for a while that Perkins stooped pretty low in his vendetta against Mangino, but it now becomes apparent that he wanted to deliver one last twist of the knife in the ribs, and the ridiculous salary for a much lesser successor was the way he chose to do it.

Now we have at least another year to find out if all that money was a complete waste, or maybe only a third of it.

Bion Ostrander 4 years, 6 months ago

Up thru today, I didn't put any blame on the players, I noted they were not even given a fair chance by the current poor coaching staff. As bad as Gill is, did the players give up because of Gill, or just give up. I can't blame Gill for no tackling on KSU kick-off returns and fumbles, that is all on the players....I'm ready to see some new players on the field also, its clear the current guys aren't getting it done, it can't get much worse so you might as well find out who wants to play. Also, obvious lack of discipline today by KU players, its clear that Gill's coed curfew and other silly rules have no impact on discipline on the field....Make Gill team Chaplain if you want, but get a real coach....

John Randall 4 years, 6 months ago

You ignore one point completely – demanding accountability from players for failing to meet responsibility just might set a precedent that would be applied to coaches as well. The poor fellas on the coaching staff are in a real catch-22, even if they've created it themselves.

parrothead8 4 years, 6 months ago

Michigan is doing okay this year with recruits Rich Rodriguez brought in over the last three years. Maybe we give Gill four years - three to bring in recruits, a fourth to get some results - and go from there.

Or maybe we just bring in someone like Rich Rodriguez, who manages to win pretty much everywhere he goes...although we'd probably have to keep a pretty close eye on him.

At least we know Gill isn't cheating. No way we give up 50 points a week if we're cheating to get good players.

John Randall 4 years, 6 months ago

"" ... like Rich Rodriguez, who manages to win pretty much everywhere he goes ... ""

What other good stories have you made up lately?

John Percival 4 years, 6 months ago

Was there a block in the back on the kickoff after their first TD? Was at the game and saw a push in the side by Seward on the one replay they showed. They'll call it a 15 yard penalty, but I call it a 70 yarder.

Eric Dawson 4 years, 6 months ago

It was a stupid play by the KU blocker because (1) he was out of position to help to begin with and (2) BJ had already juked the Wildcat when the KU blocker popped him from behind. It was a good call by the refs.

Geekinout 4 years, 6 months ago

Knowing how bad KU football and the athletic administration decisions have been, they'll probably fire Turner Gill and hire Vic Shealy...

John Randall 4 years, 6 months ago

Now that is funny - snide, vicious, underhanded – but still funny.

I'm not sure why everyone assumes the best coordinators (who actually do the coaching) make good head coaches (who have to manage a program). Not nearly as many still believe the best players make better coaches. Some guys can do it all, but they are pretty rare individuals and we don't have any of them on campus at the moment.

Bion Ostrander 4 years, 6 months ago

90sHawk, I agree with part of u say, and disagree in part. One reason we have Gill is Perkins ego thought he would attract Harbaugh or some other big name to KU, he suffered from the God complex and thought anyone would want to play for mighty Lew. Just the opposite happened, Lew scared off all the big name coaches, who wants to play for an AD that fires the most successful football coach in KU's history. Thus, we got stuck with Gill because Lew scared the good coaches away. I actually think we have a much better chance of getting a good coach with Lew and his ego gone! KU will NOT get a big name coach, no Venables, nobody that is a defensive coordinator with a real successful team now. Those guys are waiting for the offers from the big-time programs, and they will come. Hopefully, KU can find someone flying under the radar, or someone with a major program that is disillusioned and wants to leave. There are lots of good coaches I'm sure....but KU needs to use a proper interview process this time...

Eric Dawson 4 years, 6 months ago

I would hope that OSU DC Bill Young would be interested because he has been here before, so he knows it can be turned around, and he knows it will be better under Zenger than under Perkins. Anyone know if Young (another OSU grad) and Self got along well when Young was Mangino's DC?

bjejayhawk69 4 years, 6 months ago

Perkins essentially fired Chris Dawson or did allow Gill to retain him. Huge mistake but Gill did hire Williams. Another huge mistake and the first of many. If Gill knew what he was doing he would have insisted Dawson stay and other assistants that Mangino had.

Gill simple can't prepare a team, make in game adjustments and day in and day out motivate a Div 1 level team. The BELIEVE principal is a joke. He is paid $2 mil per year to coach football not preach.

Another name out there is Dave Doeren (Northern Illinois coach and former KU assistant). Also Jim Leavitt - another railroaded coach but to succeed here you have to have an edge to you. Nice guy FB coaches don't succeed here - Valasente, Allen and now the worst of lot - Gill.

riverdrifter 4 years, 6 months ago

^^This^^.

"Nice guy FB coaches don't succeed here - Valasente, Allen and now the worst of lot - Gill."

Best comment yet. I was willing to give Gill a shot. He got it.

Next.

John Randall 4 years, 6 months ago

^^This^^.

Not only do you know which opinions to endorse, but have something to add of your own:

... I was willing to give Gill a shot. ... ... He got it. ... ... ... Next.

Kevin Randell 4 years, 6 months ago

You know...I read so many posts on here of people saying you can't turn a program around in 2 years. Funny.....right now I am watching a coach (who was interested in the KU job) in his second year at Texas Tech and he's up (at this moment) 14-7 against OU in Norman. Hmmm......(Oh...and they lost their QB and WR's when Leach left to).

So....just saying....

Sam Constance 4 years, 6 months ago

I agree with your underlying point... but Texas Tech started in a much better position than KU.

LSHawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Anyone knows you cant turn a program around in 2 years BUT it should show signs of progress and Gill and his staff have shown us nothing of the kind if in fact they seem to be going backwards. Our program is becomming a JOKE nationally, we MUST fire Gill and hire someone who is going to build us a great program.

Kristen Downing 4 years, 6 months ago

We all know who is to blame for Gill's contract...it's history, get over it. Get real, we can not get a big name Div. I coach and Gill is here until the end of the year(at least). The AD's statement is posturing, to give us all hope. I say look at June Jones. Look at what he has done at SMU. Of course, there is the chance he might yell at his players every now and then.....

Eric Dawson 4 years, 6 months ago

A note from someone who watched Hawaii football under offensive minded Jones from 2000-2004 while stationed on Oahu --

KU needs to focus on getting a defense minded head coach who can then bring in solid OCs and DCs to back up the decent existing staff that should be kept (note that there are none I would keep from the D or special teams staff, just a small number -- excluding Chuck Long, sadly -- on the O staff that seem to know what they are doing.)

I never really thought Leo Durocher was right, but it sure seems that his "Nice guys finish last" truly does apply in football.

AzNHawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Although I am deeply disappointed in today's performance I'm not going to hold onto it for long. It was a poorly executed game with unneeded/undisciplined fouls and penalties/turnovers.

It's real easy to complain, complain, complain, and call for a coaches head, but I'm going to keep my head up and hope that the football team can make the best of what is left of the football season.

Although we may all have differing views on the abilities of Coach Gill I will give him this: After all the losses, the media, the scrutiny, and pressure that comes with being a head coach at a BCS school he still keeps his head up and continues to believe in himself and his plan for this KU football team.

When the pressure gets hot and everyone expects you to step down you can cave in or continue to persevere and be persistent because you feel so confident in what you are doing even with excruciating external circumstances. That is a great trait to have not just in football, but life in general.

Eric Dawson 4 years, 6 months ago

Peter Principle in action. All the sanguinity of his nature, while admirable, will not change the reality of his situation, which is a sad one.

I see him in the same class as those early "aviators" whose undying belief in the soundness of their creations ultimately led to their untimely downfall when the laws of aerodynamics and gravity eventually came into play.

Bion Ostrander 4 years, 6 months ago

Duh, OSU DC Bill Young is NOT coming back to KU, he is 62 years old and Boone Pickens went and hired him back from Miami (where he went after KU) to OSU (his alma mater) and told him to name his price, so he is probably making more as DC at OSU than KU would pay as head coach....At 62, this is his last hurrah. And I don't want a 62 year old head coach, as good as Bill is.

KU will have to do their due diligence for once, instead of relying on the good ol' boy network that got them in this mess...

Dantonio won another big game for Spartans 2nite, he was Glen Mason's cornerbacks coach in 1991, he ain't coming back either. He coaches and teaches tough football. Funny thing, all these good coaches, they all have one common trait, they are tough SOBs. KU will have to dig hard to find a good coach.

Leo Durocher was right, nice guys finish last, see ya Turner!

Eric Dawson 4 years, 6 months ago

Lutz: "It's commendable, I suppose, for Gill to keep a stiff upper lip through these difficult times. If he is worried about his job security or the direction of the team he coaches, he doesn't show it."

Why should Gill be worried about anything?

This is not some guy building cars or making computers or servicing customers who understands that if he does not perform his job well, he will be in serious financial jeopardy.

This is a guy who landed a $10M contract that was guaranteed regardless of how his team performed.

This is a guy who, unless he is as inept financially as he is as a head football coach, is set for life and will never have to work -- or worry about little things such as health insurance or the kids' college education -- when he is no longer head coach at KU.

Shoot, his motto can legitimately be "What? Me worry?"

DallasJayhawk1 4 years, 6 months ago

Translation from Zenger = Gill is gone. You can't get your a$$ handed to you this many times and still say it's re-building. He doesn't hold players accountable for their mistakes---like or not Mangino would get in a player's face if they had any of these stupid penalties we've had. We don't even look competitive. How about throw the ball down the field ?? Gill is too conservative--a nice guy but he needs to be coaching a smaller school like he was at Buffalo. Anybody that says he needs more time is crazy---there are NO signs it's getting better and what recruit wants to come to a school where teams put up 50 on you every week. The message needs to be sent by bringing in someone soon or after the season.

Robert Lofthouse 4 years, 6 months ago

. . .and, it was on national TV!

So follow the money y'all.

Boycott KU football for the remainder of this year!

Get your fellow season ticket holders to show up right before the next home (Baylor) game and hold a ticket bonfire in the parking lot, then go to your favorite pub to have a pity party, leaving the 'home' side of the stadium completely bare for the game -- they won't have time to replace the emtpy seats. If that doesn't grab the attention of the national sports media, this next one will.

Don't attend the Missouri game either.

Imagine Arrowhead with about 30,000 emtpy seats, on one side of the stadium, for the Border War!

Don't travel with the team to Texas either.

The donors certainly would not appreciate that.

If you can make a physical statement by keeping the stadium 'half' empty in the last 2 games of the season, then that should seal any final decision the Chancellor needs to make.

Cody Stumma 4 years, 6 months ago

Not the Mizzou game. I want us to beat the crap out of Mizzou before they leave, so every Kansas fan better get their ass in those seats and cheer them on.

Robert Lofthouse 4 years, 6 months ago

• not gonna happen

a boycott by the Jayhawk faithful will show the sponsors and concessioneers that as the football team goes (no show) their fans go also (no show) - resulting in horrible sales at the gate

if there's no money freely flowing in the concession stands, the vendors will drop the Jayhawks at Arrowhead

forces the Chancellor and AD to fix the problem...

Steve Brown 4 years, 6 months ago

Why is he burning red shirts, ( a term for eating your future) if it doesn't make for more wins.

Hope is not a strategy, then we are left dreaming of a better tomorrow with no evidence it is to come.

babyjay1 4 years, 6 months ago

Hmmm... Who was that guy looking for a head coaching job while we were hunting for a coach? Oh yea, it was Tommy T! Let's see, where is he now? Oh yea, just out there coaching TT to a win over #3 OU....

nocaljayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

If I lived close enough to have the option to attend KU football games, I would participate in boycotting KU football for the rest of the season, or as long as it takes until Gill is gone and the whole abortion that was his hiring is in the books. Come on KUAD, admit a mistake and move on; this program is going backward with this clown at the wheel.

blackhawkjayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Chuck Woodling was right. He called this the same day Gill was hired. I love Gill's attitude and his attitude but he may just be too nice of a guy.

And don't give me any junk about Mangino being tough. Grade him like they do in the Olympics - throw out the best season and the worst season - and you have a mediocre career that was descending.

June Jones should be out next coach. Get Hadl and Sayers in the room with him and show him what KU football can be.

kudocrx03 4 years, 6 months ago

Great perspective on how the rest of the season will go. Let him finish out the most embarrassing season in Div. I-A football and then get this clown out of here. After this dismal hiring and the previous atrocious 2 yrs, it is important for KU to bring in a coach with a name. The fan base has been lost; firing him will not be enough. We expect improvement in our football team, we expect improvement in our leadership. Failing would be bringing anyone with less than a name and a resume.

jmsuther 4 years, 6 months ago

Order of coaching priorities as seen by jmsuther. 1 get levitt. 2. Vinables from ou and keep chuck long. 3 say sorry to mangino and bring him back. 4. Leach. 5. Rich rodriquez. 6. shut down the program and forward all money to bball.

Steve Brown 4 years, 6 months ago

Hire a defensive 'consultant' right now, Mike Stoops or anyone that will give fresh eyes to what is not happening on field that needs to happen.

Pay him with 50% of Gill salary, give HCTG a chance to forfeit half of his pay as an investment.

Watched tape again, often our tacklers run to where the ball carriers are not where they will be when they arrive to the spot, means they are 'pressing' and not confident. Over-reaching.

KSAuburnFan 4 years, 6 months ago

For all you people out there that think Mangino was this incredible genius and if KU had him back all the problems would be solved. Just a few numbers for you. 23-41, and 1-18. That was Mangino's record against the Big 12 (23-41) and against Top 25 teams (1-18). Oh how quickly people forget. Not to mention the program under his watch being found guilty of Academic Fraud by the NCAA in 2005, in 2007 an investigation into un-paid tickets and verbal abuse to KU personel and employees. 2009, the investigation into mis-treatment of players that was backed up and supported by MANY former KU football players, which led to his resignation. Oh, and the fact that in 2009, his teams (with NFL talent mind you) lost 7 straight games. Now I know what you are thinking "at least we were competetive and didn't get blown out". But, KU did lose several games by 3-4 TD's in the Mangino era. If you were to be honest with yourself, there isn't a coach in the county that could take the talented (but largely in-experienced) KU roster and play the schedule KU has played and have a better record. The last 5 games have been brutal, Georgia Tech, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma and Kansas State. That schedule would be a challenge to even the most veteran and seasoned teams. Now, I know what you are thinking, I bet the games would be closer. Well, if all you are interested in is moral victories to get you through until November when basketball starts, that is SAD.

I think KU fans have this "pie in the sky" view of the football program. KU is not going to get Les Miles to leave LSU, or Gene Chizik to leave Auburn, or Chip Kelly to leave Oregon and come to KU. What is best for KU is to allow Coach Gill more than 2 years to build up the program, where would KSU be if they fired Snyder after 2 years? At some point you have to be willing to take a few steps backwards with the view of taking 10 steps forward. It isn't like Coach Gill took over a program that was stacked with talent and ready for another Orange Bowl run.

Ozarkace68 4 years, 6 months ago

So soon we forget "the rest of the story" on the Mangino Era. I am glad someone finally took the time to review the record.

bjejayhawk69 4 years, 6 months ago

Bowl games in 4 of 8 years - best of any KU coach in history. Milk and cookies coaches don't cut it in Div 1 football.

Steve Brown 4 years, 6 months ago

"I believe in this staff's ability to teach and develop. I feel good about it. It's just taken a little bit longer time to get things done."

I have been wrong, as a hopeful HCTG defender I was hoping we were on right track, building, investing for future. I see no signs of future success.

It is tough to right the ship 'after' you have hit the iceberg. Should have and would have two years ago, hit the ground running with sense of urgency. Heavy JuCo transfers to play while redshirting and 'building' up average freshman. Or else recruit HOF freshman that can ball.

What is in the pipeline for next year, this year is toast. Hire defensive consultant to come in today and improve execution and technique.

LaJHawk666 4 years, 6 months ago

Sorry, Marty is the current head coach/general manager of the Virginia Destroyers in the United Football League. Not exactly sure what that is, except that it's the semi-pro league that Maurice Clauret is playing in.

Okay, I just caught up on the latest UFL action from wikipedia. It's a four-team league that just ended its truncated four-game season. I was gonna say that Marty is busy, but maybe not. I don't think Marty is right for college ball, but maybe we can get someone good and Gill can go to the UFL.

As it turns out, the UFL championship game just happened this last Friday. If anyone cares, from Wikipedia: "The game was won by the Virginia Destroyers, who, in front of a standing-room-only home crowd at Virginia Beach Sportsplex, defeated the 2-time defending champion Las Vegas Locomotives 17–3, spurred by the performance of strong safety and game MVP Aaron Rouse. The win gave Destroyers coach Marty Schottenheimer, notorious for his failure to reach the Super Bowl in his NFL coaching career despite strong regular season statistics, his first championship as a professional head coach and his first professional championship since the 1965 American Football League Championship Game, Schottenheimer's rookie season as a player."

Bootlegger, maybe you're on to something...

Joe Ross 4 years, 6 months ago

Coach Gill said in the post-game that players aren't doing what they're supposed to do. If they are out of position that's a COACHING issue. Don't like the defensive scheme? That's a COACHING issue. Want to correct a player's performance so he doesn't make the same mistake again? That's a COACHING issue. Need new personnel to play the position to get the right coverage? That's a COACHING issue. So my question is why these coaching issues continue to impact the game so negatively on such a regular basis. Hmm...and I'm just wondering out loud to myself, "Maybe the coach IS the coaching issue."

Chris Bruning 4 years, 6 months ago

you better not fire Gill or you're just a blind POS like the rest of this ignorant fan base.....

John Randall 4 years, 6 months ago

That piece of sarcasm would go over better were it just a tad more subtle.

squawkhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Finally, someone in the athletic dept. is growing a pair. Let's just see if they grow big enough to fire Gill.

jayhawkking 4 years, 6 months ago

Just to make sure the record is straight, Mangino's first year was 2002. KU was 2-10 I believe that year...not really important. What is important...in 2003 KU played in the Tangerine Bowl which means they were at least .500 for the regular season. . But hey, if Gill can pull the team together and beat Texas, Baylor, ISU, and Mizzou, we'll qualify for a bowl this year as well. Hey those teams join KU afterall to compose the bottom half of the conf. My personal prediction...KU 2-10 looking for new coach end of November. Nothing personal, but IT IS WHAT IT IS!

rukidding 4 years, 6 months ago

My prediction is whatever the record is if KU fires Gill they will still have a KU record and team, 10 years from now.

Longest stretch of bowl seasons, 2 years. Give the coach at least 3 years.

Would we even be having these questions if the defense was playing better?

Geekinout 4 years, 6 months ago

Today is Monday, Zenger made that statement Saturday... You have demonstrated that you are also part of the problem now and need to go. There should have been some statement wether good or bad from him today to the public. Who keeps hiring these incompetent spineless under-qualified buffoons?

John Randall 4 years, 6 months ago

As dire as recent history has been, I shudder to think how bad it would get if your attitude became the norm.

uplock 4 years, 6 months ago

4 more bowl games than you ever go to again

uplock 4 years, 6 months ago

with your record you will be lucky to recruit junior collage players, you could't recruit when you were winning.