Saturday, November 19, 2011

Tait

Though KU football future uncertain, players deserve support in finale

Kansas head coach Turner Gill walks off the field after falling to Texas A&M, 61-7, Saturday, Nov. 19, 2011 at Kyle Stadium in College Station, Texas.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Turner Gill

Kansas coach Turner Gill talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 61-7 loss to Texas A&M on Nov. 19, 2011.

Download podcast

KU coach Turner Gill opening statement after 61-7 loss to Texas A&M

KU coach Turner Gill gives an opening statement following the Jayhawks' 61-7 loss to Texas A&M on Nov. 19, 2011.

— If Kansas University football coach Turner Gill could get his players to execute on the field the way he has them talking in the media room, he might be on to something.

Saturday, in front of more than 85,000 whoopin' and hollerin' Aggie fans at Kyle Field, the Jayhawks were pummeled from start to finish by a stronger, faster and more disciplined Texas A&M football team. The 61-7 loss marked the Jayhawks' worst defeat of the season in terms of the final score, but you'd never know it from talking to the handful of Jayhawks made available to the media following the game.

Sure, the players were disappointed, frustrated and embarrassed. But each one of them continued to push Gill's message of positivity. Not one lashed out. Not one let the 54-point drubbing keep him from answering questions or trying to make sense of how the team could have played so poorly. Not one so much as hinted at anything other than a desire to move forward with his head held high and the promise of better days to come.

"Right now, I'm just sitting here and I'm just like ... it hurts," senior linebacker Steven Johnson said. "The only thing I'm trying to do is just keep my head up and keep fighting. I'm not gonna quit. This whole game is about life. When you get knocked down and things look terrible, you gotta keep fighting."

Added sophomore running back James Sims: "It's tough. But we just gotta push through it. It happens to everyone. We just gotta continue to push each other and get better in practice week by week and the outcome will be different."

So far, in 23 weeks of football and two offseasons, improvement has been tough to come by for Gill and company. There have been peaks. But the valleys have seemingly outnumbered them five to one. Because of that, Gill enters the final game of his second season in charge of the Jayhawks as a coach with an uncertain future. And that's putting it mildly. Many think Gill's time at KU is nearing its end and that the program should move forward with a new head coach next season. Several of Gill's players, and even a few KU fans, continue to support their head coach.

"Just keep fighting. Don't give up. No matter what the score was, he just wanted us to keep fighting," said Sims, sharing Gill's halftime thoughts from Saturday's game. "And that's what we did. We all respect coach Gill. We love him. He's just a great guy to be around. And we left it out on the field for him."

With next week's season finale against Missouri already big enough, Gill brushed off inquiries about his future and said he was not yet concerned about what may or may not happen after the Missouri game.

"No. No. I'm here to coach," he said. "I'm here to coach and teach and develop our players and get 'em ready for Missouri. I'm not concerned about all those (other) things."

When the season began and KU fans looked over the Jayhawks' football schedule, the Nov. 26 meeting with Mizzou no doubt jumped out as one of those games that would be worth attending.

Now, with the Jayhawks having lost their ninth straight and 18th game in 23 tries under head coach Turner Gill, you can't help but wonder if any crimson-and-blue clad fans will be there.

Here's hoping they are. Bad season or not, lameduck coach or otherwise, the KU players deserve that much. And with the game possibly being the last ever in the tradition-rich Border War series, it will be a shame if Arrowhead isn't packed.

"I know that our fans are just probably devastated right now and hurt and don't even want to back us up," Johnson said. "But I hope we get a good crowd to come out and support us because we're gonna do our best to leave it out there on the field and try to get a win for this university."

Your move, Jayhawk Nation.

Comments

Jason Montgomery 3 years, 1 month ago

I move to stay home and be embarrassed on the couch. Seeing the final loss to Mizzou isn't worth the parking fee.

Theonlythingthatexceedsyourbad 3 years, 1 month ago

Here's a tip for Arrowhead parking: Just say you don't have any money. There are so many cars behind you and you can't pull to the side so they let you in free!

Billy Derringer 3 years, 1 month ago

no here's the real tip, go to gate 3 there's no charge its the employee parking area an the just take the steps up an wolla youve parked for free!!

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 1 month ago

Really. Calling out jayhawk to support this team is crazy! Speaking of crazy, how about the players giving us something to come out and support. That's a crazy idea. I say let the stadium be half Mizzou fans and half empty seats. Send a message jayhawk nation!

teemvee 3 years, 1 month ago

What we all need to realize is that whether or not you like him, firing Gill after this year would be stupid for a couple of reasons.

1) We are still paying Mangino, would have to pay Gill, AND somehow find the money for this amazing new coach everyone seems to want to hire.

2) We would be telling the new coach that we are only giving him two years, regardless of what his contract Is, to turn one of the worst programs in the country into a respectable one despite having mediocre players and one of the toughest schedules in the country from this year on out.

I think we all love KU and we all love KU football. The best thing for us to do us to show support for our team, program, and even coach right now because to be quite honest if I was a recruit or potential new head coach, KU does not interest me whatsoever right now. I'm not saying settle for being bad but at least try and support this program because the fans are just as important as the coach, players, and everyone else involved and right now we all leave at halftime if we even go to the games at all. I know we aren't playing well but from the player's point of view everyone quit on them so why should they still try? Whether that's right or wrong its probably the case so please, especially for this last game, go to it and cheer us on the best you possibly can.

Rock Chalk.

baldwinjhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

I always support the boys in blue. Next weekend will be really hard to watch if we let mizzou manrape us like a&m did today. So move forward guys and win one for fambrough and save some dignity along the way. You have our support. Rock chalk

Kevin Long 3 years, 1 month ago

"It's rough, but it happens to everyone" Really? These blowouts this year are not what happens to everyone! Fire Gill!

Ann Oneill 3 years, 1 month ago

That quote stood out to me, too. Sounds like Gill has brainwashed them.

Theonlythingthatexceedsyourbad 3 years, 1 month ago

Agreed. In the KU Sports video of his initial aftergame thoughts he appears to be a tired cult leader. Fire Gill tonight!!!

Pbbut 3 years, 1 month ago

It's never been about getting down on the kids with me. Yeah, I get POed when they make a bonehead play, but they're 20 years old, their entitled to do something stupid at that age.
But we appear to be going nowhere as a team. Coach Gill seems like he doesn't know what to do next. We get lip service about continuing to work hard, eliminate mistakes, get better; but nothing ever changes.
We have turnovers...We lose. We force turnovers...We lose. We make mistakes...We lose. The other team makes mistakes...We lose.
What's wrong with this?
I've come to believe that Coach Gill thought that by employing the "Power of Positive Thinking", everything would work out. Obviously it takes more than that.
The picture at the lead of the article speaks volumes "We just got schooled 61-7, but I sure look like a head coach." Wishing doesn't make it happen. I don't envy Zenger, but he's the guy hired to do the evaluations and make the decisions. Games like this make his decision easier.

Bob Thompson 3 years, 1 month ago

Maybe if we employ the "Power of Positive Thinking", we can channel that power to find a real coach..... One that can really win, not one that just thinks he can win when he can't....

danmoore 3 years, 1 month ago

The chancellor? Really? You left out the mayor, governor, both houses of congress and the president. Talk about a bad knee jerk reaction.

Theonlythingthatexceedsyourbad 3 years, 1 month ago

I agree. Not only did BGL support this hire but if she doesn't get behind the fire then she herself should get the ax.

My thoughts on KU's "Bold Aspirations" plan influence my sentiments toward BGL. Rome wasn't built in a day.

stravinsky 3 years, 1 month ago

You guys do realize that KU is an upper tier research institution, right? And that it's the Chancellor's job to focus on the UNIVERSITY not the ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT?

I love football, and we need to be a lot better than we are, but BGL is an academic, being paid to deal with running an academic institution. There's a reason why we have an Athletic Department. Go ahead and demand they fire Gill, curse Lew, whatever, but try not to so egregiously lose focus of what a University is meant to be.

Jayhawk1963 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm not sure KU is "upper tier" ANYTHING anymore !!! Except for men's basketball .

stravinsky 3 years, 1 month ago

7 audiology masters

7 textile design MFA

9 petroleum engineering

9 public finance

10 education masters and doctorate

12 music masters

I want BGL focused on these, not on our football team.

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 1 month ago

Zealot! BGL has a whole university to run. Aside from taking such actions in academia including the hiring a new Provost and two or three new deans, she has handled well, being put in the middle of cleaning up the ticket mess that occured due to Lew's mismangament. This brought about a new AD and organizationally, the University having a greater level of involvement in decisionmaking process of KUAD. Overall, she is doing a helluva job and believe you me,as she is holding other faculty and administration officials accountable, I am sure that she is on Zenger's case to deal with Gill's situation as well as to have a well thought out action plan going forward.

sheahoRn 3 years, 1 month ago

Maaaaaan! I passed out,errrrrr, fell asleep on the beach for a couple of hours and someone wrote "Fire Gill" on my chest with sun block. Apparently the Hawaiian people do not favor our coach as well! What to do, what to do? Maybe something will come to me during the luau. Should be fun, I'm going to walk across hot coals and learn how to juggle flaming torches.

Hope all is well in Kansas and remember season ticket renewals will be coming soon and Williams Fund points gift certificates make the perfect holiday stocking stuffer.

Hang ten, SheahoRn

Shane Garrett 3 years, 1 month ago

Naw man that was good. I know you are on the Island for a reason. Just surprised you took time to even type. Aloha, bro! and congrats.

Brennan Keller 3 years, 1 month ago

Lets look ahead to next year Jayhawk Nation. Lets make this kinda fun. If you had to pick one (currently available coach or coordinator) who would you "want" whether it be realistic or no chance at all to replace Gill, Long, and the DC?

jhawkrulz 3 years, 1 month ago

Penn State's interim head coach Tom Bradley would be a great selection for DC (he will be available cheap) with Leach/Tressel as head Coach. The OC, I'm not sure the one available, but I'm sure there is one available.

Steve Brown 3 years, 1 month ago

You are half right, the Tom Bradley part, class act and rock solid D guy.

AcesWild 3 years, 1 month ago

mike leach he can recruit texas and it will makeastate

AcesWild 3 years, 1 month ago

mike leach he can recruit texas and it will makeastate

actorman 3 years, 1 month ago

????? AcesWild, let me introduce you to the concepts of punctuation and the space bar.

sjwilson 3 years, 1 month ago

In 2007, when the "Border Showdown" at Arrowhead was part of the KU season ticket package I attended. Since it's been an additional expense I have not. This has been concurrent with an economic downturn, the effects of which have certainly been felt in my home. With even a modicum of success, and the confidence that it breeds, I'd still be thinking hard about scraping the money together to support the team in the last game (ever?) against Mizzou. But since we are remarkably unsuccessful and the likelihood of our being competitive, let alone victorious, is questionable, I'm going to hedge my bets and watch this one from the cost-free comfort of my living room. I wish it were different, but that's the situation. And I'll be shocked if we are not sadly under-represented in the stands. It's a sad deal, but given the state of the program and the state of the economy what can you expect?

Jayhawk1116 3 years, 1 month ago

I agree. I'm so glad this is the last game at Arrowhead. This game is a "home" game. Really?!? I don't have to pay $30 to park at real home games, and Lawrence businesses benefit from real home games, not the freakin' Chiefs and Missour-uh.

Theonlythingthatexceedsyourbad 3 years, 1 month ago

If Leach is hired before the Missery game I declare I will attend!!! If Leach coaches I will buy tickets for me and 10 of my friends!!!

Theonlythingthatexceedsyourbad 3 years, 1 month ago

Gruden seems quite unlikely but that just me. Leach and Tressel are attainable.

JohnEdwards70 3 years, 1 month ago

You've had crack for breakfast if you think any of these coaches will come to KU. And why would you WANT Leach or Tressel?? Leach has been passed over for every opening in the last two years. Tressel got his school put on major probation, lost scholarships, got his best players suspended, etc., and isn't drawing interest from any college. What the heck is wrong with you people????

Theonlythingthatexceedsyourbad 3 years, 1 month ago

They were afraid of his lawsuit. We are not afraid of the lawsuit, what does it have to do with his current situation>nothing, it's all about past compensation he feels owned to him by Tech. Tressel didn't do anything, his players (few old enough to drink in this country) got a few tattoos on the cheap. He just didn't say anything, plus I think he learned his lesson, both did. Leach was persecuted and he simply was removing a sickness from his team.

Billy Derringer 3 years, 1 month ago

you make it sound like tressel was selling the schools gear, WTF it wasnt him it was his overhyped kids that wouldnt listen to anyone cause all they have been hearing since middle school was how damm grate they was and that everyone owed them something, how many tattooes does tressel have, thats right none he didnt trade things for em the players did, get your facts strait, he was the scape goat!

JohnEdwards70 3 years, 1 month ago

You need to get YOUR facts straight. Tressel knew it was happening -- even got e-mails about it, in fact -- and did nothing to stop it, and then lied about it when asked. Nice try. Some people will do anything to win, even if it means cheating, lying and letting other people steal, all while running a program into the ground. I guess you're one of those people. Nice. Hope you're proud of yourself.

Alex Berger 3 years, 1 month ago

How does beating NIU not deserve full win status? And we have no chance at Gruden, don't be craaazy.

Brian Haase 3 years, 1 month ago

This will be the first year that I will not be attending the boarder war in Arrowhead. I've known I wasn't going to be able to go since the beginning of the season but I just find it hard to tell myself that I would be going next weekend even if I didn't have prior arrangements. You're right Matt, these kids deserve our support, but HCTG doesn't, and unfortunately for the kids, I think that there will be hardly any crimson and blue in the stands because of him. Rock Chalk, I want nothing more than a W next weekend!

Theonlythingthatexceedsyourbad 3 years, 1 month ago

Fire TG now! Tonight!

We have a better chance without him against Missery.

TG is a leach, sucking the program dry. His methods are outdated, his philosophies antiquated and his inertia truncated. Bring Leach in to coach the last game! Don't not fire TG this week for his sake, the University is more important than TG. He's not going to get another job outside of recruiting coordinator anyway so fire him this minute!!!!

Lance Hobson 3 years, 1 month ago

I did think it was a huge mistake of Perkins to fire Mangino. He never liked him because he was so fat and didn't represent KU in the image he wanted. But how could he ignore the success he had? It was ludicrous to ignore that, and now we're paying for his narrow-sightedness.

kujayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

LOL. Has Perkins ever looked in a mirror?

Theonlythingthatexceedsyourbad 3 years, 1 month ago

Perkins got lots of exercise on his free exercise equipment.

rawheadrex 3 years, 1 month ago

At least after next week, we can say Mizzou won't have K-U to kick around anymore. MBW, a Mizzou grad, said she hopes the 'Hawks kick Mizzou's tail because it is leaving the conference and breaking the second longest football rivalry, oldest west of the Father of The Waters. Mizzou will have an unpleasant relationship with its new "brothers-in-sports."
Collegiate sports is damning itself for pursuit of the dollar. Colleges are only training grounds for the overpriced, overrated NFL, NBA and MLB.
K-U grants in-state tuition to illegal immigrants. I paid external resident fees when I attended K-U. I will gladly return my diploma and class ring if someone can furnish an address for junk.

Theonlythingthatexceedsyourbad 3 years, 1 month ago

Your post makes little sense and has even less focus.

Theonlythingthatexceedsyourbad 3 years, 1 month ago

ahpers - HC manginorhoolz - DC theonlythingthatex - OC

That would be better than TG and his cronies.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 1 month ago

We'd be a combination of "the U" and UNLV when they were at their peak.

Matt Tait 3 years, 1 month ago

And probably pretty fun to cover... Lots of good quotes for sure!!!

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 1 month ago

Headline: Head coach Perse under investigation for point shaving...again!

Headline: Assistant Coach Manginorh00lz sited for public intoxication on Bourbon Street...again!

actorman 3 years, 1 month ago

There aren't many things that all the KU posters on this board can agree on, but I would bet anything that this is one of them: the single best thing about Misusing abandoning the Big XII is that we won't have to put up with imbeciles like bootlegger posting his drivel any more.

actorman 3 years, 1 month ago

Mark Currie 3 years, 1 month ago

There was a guy, Brent Venables, I think his name was. He was an assistant at KSU, then went to Oklahoma with Bob Stoops. Why not give him a shot at being Head Coach at KU? Iam just sure if the money is right he would think about it.

actorman 3 years, 1 month ago

Isn't his specialty supposed to be defense? Given OU's lousy performance on defense this year, even with all that talent at his disposal, I don't think he would be a wise choice.

actorman 3 years, 1 month ago

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 1 month ago

Anyone else want to believe me now that Baylor was totally looking ahead to OU last week?

And Stoops might be looking for work if he loses this game. Bring in Bob as HC, Mike as DC, and some fella named Mark as OC.

Ahhhh my medication is kicking in. Good night!

JhawkalumJB 3 years, 1 month ago

I would prefer Leach as OC. Mark can arrange the team meals and hotels (many all you can eat buffets, I'm sure).

jaywalkinhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Iowa State = Win (upset) Mizzou = Win K-State = Win Baylor = Win (upset) Kansas = Another big blowout game.

These are all the teams that were going to be left out of the realignment this summer and the previous as well.

I am still a jayhawk fan, but man is it hard to want to be at any KU football games. I know I should not be a fair weather fan and support our student athletes, but it is really hard to watch KU football now.

There is no excitement and all of the teams above look to be moving forward with their programs, except Kansas (well maybe Mizzou too). Some of the 5 are even getting quality wins against top ranked teams.

It appears to me KU football takes one step forward and than takes two steps back.

gorilla10 3 years, 1 month ago

Why would anyone want to go to Arrowhead to watch the Jayhawks get smoked by our rival who's leaving our conference......Yes, the players do deserve our support but when you can't feel good about the team before, during, or after the game why go????

Especially when you have season tickets and this game isn't included......o well, I guess we won't have to worry about that next year...

Shane Garrett 3 years, 1 month ago

Ok, I turned on the car radio, at 11:35 to listen to the game. Finished my short trip anstoped at the liqure store. It was not even half time... did house chores until the K-state game came on. Been kicking the dog and arguing with the wife since noon. Can't wait until Monday night basketball..... oh, wait that is the KU cheer..... Wait until Basketball Season.

ku_tailg8 3 years, 1 month ago

I said this many years ago and I will say it again. Refurbishing Memorial Stadium was a joke. It looks nice, but for D-I AA. That track looks ridiculous around the stadium. We should have built a new stadium off campus, with plenty of parking if we wanted to compete. Yes the facilities are ok now but when you watch the other games on tv you should realize what we are missing. The craziness at other games is enviable and I wish I was the B. Pickens of KU because I would fund the whole thing and let the track team keep their field.

Josh Galler 3 years, 1 month ago

off campus? I feel no college game should be off campus that what makes the college game. I felt the renovations for KU fb is good but the track and the benches is the only things that I wish they did changed

TheStonesSuck 3 years, 1 month ago

I wish the track was removed, replaced with more seats and a sunken field. But honestly, we don't have the fans to fill it. We had trouble completely filling the stadium even when we were competitive under Mangino.

phalan 3 years, 1 month ago

Finger pointing...finger pointing-you should have tried living near Mangino with all the calls to have the men in blue visit his home! What a joke-and he wasn't a national joke for not only his size but for embarassing himself at his sons football game and asked to leave @ Haskell-thats the roll model the boouys in blue should have- Lets let Gill get the program going-this is the first coach we've had that has kept our players off the front page of every newspaper in the country for fights ,for getting stuck inTaco Bell window-for kniveings or for having a to leave his own sons football game at Haskell because of his behavior. Maybe its time we have a team that "man ups"and starts listening to what the coaches are saying and not being too busy holding a baby bottle for their kid instead of a play book. I am so tired of hearing a bunch of men and women that never played ball themselves complaing about a coach instead of- its the teams fault-players and coaches alike.Give Turner a little slack until you have your own National Title team to brag about!

escaped_labrat 3 years, 1 month ago

Turner Gill reminds me of a little quote: "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me."

personally, I think this is all part of a conspiracy by Nebraska and T.G. to get payback for the drubbing we put their alma mater back in 2007

.....just saying....

Theonlythingthatexceedsyourbad 3 years, 1 month ago

TG shows no emotion on the field. With the one exception of the blown p.i. call at the end of the Baylor game he stands in silence with arms folded wiggling his microphone. The man is not a leader, he speaks a big game but the players don't take this religious mumbo jumbo to heart.

TG will never be successful as a HC. He never has had success, unless his lone winning season (8-6) could be considered success (it can't cause he followed it up with a 5-7 disappointment when they should have won the MAC).

I'd rather have my head coach screaming at high school referees, doing something real. At least he was thinking about the game of football. . . TG is more concerned about cell phones, women after 10 p.m. and profanity.

Don't drink the koolaide, TG must go.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 1 month ago

Phalan, here are a few things you should know. 1. Your spelling, grammar and punctuation are abysmal. 2. Mangino was never on the front page of every newspaper in the country. That's just a ridiculous overstatement you made up. 3. We've already given Gill a chance to get his program going. By this time in his coaching career at Kansas, Mangino had taken a team that was much worse than the team Gill inherited, and made them bowl eligible. Gill has already shown that "getting the program going" actually means deteriorating the program with record breaking futility. 4. I played football. In college. I've had first-hand experience of coaching that works and coaching that doesn't work, and that translates into play on the field. If you have players that are busting coverage, and not staying at home, and are undisciplined and about 95% of what has been screwing us this year, it is the fault of the coaching staff, not the players. Yes, 18-22 year-olds are going to make mistakes. But the lack of coaching ability is clearly translating to these kids out on the field. 5. Turner Gill doesn't have the coaching prowess to ever coach a National Title team.

The failure of this team is entirely on Turner Gill and his coaching staff. Period.

JhawkalumJB 3 years, 1 month ago

If I felt that we had a chance in this game I would attend. Unfortunately, Gill and staff have given me little hope of any chance in this game. It will suck big time to lose to Missourah, but I would be shocked to see us win, let alone be competitive.

Sorry players, I hope I'm not letting you down too much. Hopefully next year you'll have a more competent head coach and staff.

I really wanted Gill to succeed, as he seems to be a great guy. Personally I'm hoping for Leach, he's proven. If your a doubter read his book. He's a winner on the field and his players perform academically as well.

You listening out there SZ? If so read the book and then call in Leach. I'd be smiling when I renew my season tix next year.

jhawk613 3 years, 1 month ago

To all Kansas Fans,

No thanks.

Signed, Jon Gruden, Bill Cowher, Mike Leach, Jim Tressel, Tom Bradley, Mike Stoops, Jim Harbaugh, John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, Tommy Tuberville, Urban Meyer, Chris Peterson, Chip Kelly, Randy Edsall, etc, etc, etc.

Alex Berger 3 years, 1 month ago

So Bill Parcells is available? Maybe some Bill Belichick?

Jayhawk1116 3 years, 1 month ago

What about Lou Holtz, Joe Paterno, or Bear Bryant? Mike Ditka maybe?

Kyle Sybesma 3 years, 1 month ago

Let's be realistic. Leach and Tressel wouldn't take our phone call. June Jones is making about $2M at SMU and may be close to joining a BCS conference. No head coach in one of the powe 6 conferences will want to leave their current job to come to KU. We have to look at coordinators, former head coaches or head coaches at the mid major level. In no particular order:

D Coordinator at Florida State - Mike Stoops HC at Southern Miss - Larry Fedora Former HC at Miami - Randy Shannon Former HC at Ole Miss - Houston Nutt

Kyle Sybesma 3 years, 1 month ago

You have nothing to base that comment on. There is nothing you can say to convince me that "Tressel called us" inquiring about the coaching position. Coaches don't do that to each other and Tressel is to good to consider the KU job.

Please offer a realistic name. I'm not even sure my names would consider the job.

Josh Galler 3 years, 1 month ago

some of the blame must be on the players too, however, TG can control the type of player he recruits, game plan, and who is on the field

oldvet 3 years, 1 month ago

"But each one of them continued to push Gill's message of positivity. "

I have seen the light and accepted Gill's message of positivity...

Gill should positively be fired!!!

Matt Gauntt 3 years, 1 month ago

Matt Gauntt 3 years, 1 month ago

Tait is right. TG - deserves the full brunt of our ire. Fire him. Bring back the names on the jerseys, bring back full-throated competition. Bring back a little bad-@$$ in the program. Some things that have been woefully lacking.

The players. Yes, they do deserve our support for two reasons. 1) these are 18, 19, 20 & 21 year old young men. For more than half of them, they can't even legally buy a beer. Are we really going to trash them? Sure, it's easy to do that on a newspaper blog and feel good about ourselves. TG is making millions off this debacle - he put on his big-boy pants and he needs to catch the heat. No so sure about these young men. 2) Remember, future recruits are watching. Let's say some 17 year old kid is on the sideline and hears the fans yelling at the players about how much they suck - is that kid going to want to play for those fans?

Bellator 3 years, 1 month ago

Really? Really?

....I got nothing

troutsee 3 years, 1 month ago

I thought this game would be close. How wrong I was. MU will kill us. I will be there to watch the slaughter but will not contribute to the Williams Fund and will not buy another season ticket (I have been buying 12 for my family) as long as Gill continues to be the coach of Kansas. Following ISU and BU, I thought we were finally getting there. Wrong again. The ship continues to sink and is doing so quickly. There is a lot of money to be lost and a lot of recruits that are getting the wrong message. Zenger must put TG out of his misery. Hopefully that will come after the Misssouri slaughter.

Steve Brown 3 years, 1 month ago

What if this is on of those planets align years where our schedule of Big 12 teams is a basket of schools all ranked in reality from 3-16 in the nation, from watching the other teams play each other a case could be made that we have picked a bad year to launch a rebuilding program. Realize no evidence on the field, yet just consider if we are laying a good foundation of rookies in the program running up against 4-5 year players with super talent. Looking at the numbers what other Big 12 team would not have been in top 5 in any other conf.

Sorry if sounds like TG apoligizt. I was 'hoping' his stuff would pan out....

Beat MIZ-DUI tigers.

RCJHGKU

Billy Derringer 3 years, 1 month ago

i knew this hire sucked from day one, i tried to give it a go now i just want hctg to give it a go a bounce out of town, the sooner the better WE ARE KANSAS we are better then then this. does anyone have a sack big enough to clean house?

Jayhawk1116 3 years, 1 month ago

Okay, this has bothered me for awhile now. Let's get this straight once and for all (not that it will probably do much good). L-E-A-C-H is a wiley pirate of a head coach. L-E-E-C-H is a blood-sucking worm.

gdkadjayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

...and Wiley is a publisher of engineering, science, and medical textbooks. Wily is crafty, cunning, and sly. :^)

Bellator 3 years, 1 month ago

One more game to go and it seems the "Believe" slogan is not getting through to the kids. Gill needs a new motivation strategy.

Coach Gill why not try and use the shake and bake?

Brian Skelly 3 years, 1 month ago

Sorry Matt. While the sentiment of it is fair, the reality is not. Life isnt fair.

The coach who sounds like he could be pulled from an after school special about the power of positive thinking has no business being a university employee after Saturday.

This "Nice Guy" is finishing last in ways that its tough to see us ever improving. Obviously we will, because this has to be the worst season in modern Jayhawk lore.

I keep coming back to it, but I think it bears repeating. KU's already lowered expectations in general have been smashed through. Prior to Gill showing up, this seemed almost inconceivable. I think one can attribute much of the angst to all the conference realignment stuff. Weather that is fair or not is irrelevant. It's the world we live in.

Im not under any sad delusion some savior is going to come to KU and save us. At this point though, Im willing to go on a not so large limb and state that anything will be improvement over the current situation were in. Quite frankly simply turning the inertia around would seem like a victory, weather victories are coming or not.

I never thought id be yearning for the Terry Allen years.

William James 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't know why, but I'm gonna give my two cents. If you go back and look at my post from two years ago, I was 100% against the Turner Gill hire, and havent supported KU since. Where KU screwed up is they hired a guy that they hoped would be a winner. If you can, your best bet is to hire a proven winner.
Mike Leach is a proven winner. His record speaks for itself. He is an extremely intelligent man and he is good at what he does. He may not get KU back to a BCS bowl anytime soon, but he will get KU winning again. I think KU has an edge on other schools that would pursue Leach because KU is in the Big 12 and has one of the top ten football facilities in the country. I think Leach would give KU very serious consideration if given the offer.

JhawkalumJB 3 years, 1 month ago

I agree with everything you have said regarding Leach. He would be a great hire for KU.

Maracas 3 years, 1 month ago

I doubt very many KU fans show up at Arrowhead next weekend. Who can blame them? There's nothing to see except a bunch of drunken MU fans throwing whiskey bottles and batteries. In fact, I don't even know how many MU fans will be there.

You can say, "but it's the last game of the conference rivalry!!!1111!", but it doesn't really matter any more. That ship sailed when MU decided to leave. The smart play to is watch from the comfort of your living room so you can flip the channel when things start to go south for KU - and you know they will. Beats the hassle and expense of traveling to Arrowhead.

The best part of next weekend is that, hopefully, it's GilLOL's last game at KU. If not, expect anger now and apathy next season. And lost revenues.

cg1029 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm sick of this argument there is no reason that Gill should be given more time... If he is not fired it is because of the 6 Million KU owes him... He has no chance to succeed and all of the players on this team with the exception of about 5-10 of them have ZERO CHANCE OF SUCCEEDING AT THE DIVISION ONE LEVEL... Sorry to say it, but I refuse to suger coat it. Gill has filled this program with players that are either unable to compete or they are just to nice to compete... We need hard nosed players that are willing to knock the crap out of someone and then get up and do it agian...

I refuse to show any support for the players because they are young and not "professionals" they have made the choice to be division one football players and they are either incapable of living up to that commitment or they have chosen not to take full advantage of it.

The only way that KU will be even marginly successfull in the near future is to: 1. Fire Gill 2. Hire a proven coach - I don't care what you have to pay just do it. We have seen what the alumni and the fans are willing to do for even a marginal team. KU may take a short term loss, but will make up the money with a competitive team. 3. GUT THIS TEAM - I don't care about the preception; I don't care about the bad PR, I don't care if it hurts Jordan Webbs feelings. There are only about 5-10 players that are on this current team that should ever play another down of football at the Division One level. Every other player should just plan on being on the practice squad or transfering.

Alex Berger 3 years, 1 month ago

You have no idea how football and Athletic Departments work do you?

TheStonesSuck 3 years, 1 month ago

Perhaps some proper coaching will bring out the players' potential? I agree about Webb though. He would be 3rd string on every other big 12 team.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 1 month ago

How many times a day can one guy check this site to see if Turner has been fired?

Bellator 3 years, 1 month ago

TG's presser today "So I was sitting in my cubicle today working up the gameplan for this hokey border showdown, which by the way we would never lower ourselves to at Nebraska, and I realized, ever since I started working at KU, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.''

JhawkalumJB 3 years, 1 month ago

They mentioned in the KC Star that SZ restated that he won't assess the football team til after the season. Don't expect anything til then.

I'm kind of thinking that if Gill can get a W against Missourah he'll get another year. If we get blasted (likely) then Gill is gone.

bjejayhawk69 3 years, 1 month ago

Mike Leach. Our defense has been poor but that is more due to a horrible 3-4 scheme and incompetent DC. Offense is king in the Big 12 and no one does it better and is more innovative that Leach. Hiring Leach would be like when KSU hired Huggins in basketball. When your program is in the dumps you need a coach that it is proven and will energize the program both locally and nationally. Positive media coverage will help in a lot of ways including recruiting. Leach has Texas ties and with Missouri and A&M leaving plus adding TCU recruiting in Texas will be even bigger. Please no replies about how he put the poor little James boy in a shed. Leach will make KU prominent both with recruits and national media. With all the realignment stuff going on we cannot be left with HCTG at the helm reciting his believe principal and suffering repetitive blowouts with an empty home stadium to boot.

Hire Leach

JhawkalumJB 3 years, 1 month ago

YES!!!!!!!! I'm with you man!!!

LEACH!! LEACH!! LEACH!!!!

He would bring instant credibility.

Jim Pendleton 3 years, 1 month ago

First & foremost, I agree, Coach Gill has to go. I was all for giving him a chance, but things just continue to get worse. There were three games we should have won this year that somehow we let get away. Mangino's 2nd team went to a bowl. There was a comment earlier that Gill's players have not had issues. Not totally true, there have been suspensions & dismissals.

Next, I for one will be very disappointed this will likely be the last border war game. This has been a rivalry game in my own family since I was 10 years old. I have been to every KU-MU football game since 1972 except one. I do think it is absolutely the right thing to do for KU not to play MU since they are the ones leaving. I didn't think that originally, but I do now. I do think KU people should come to the game Saturday, if nothing more than to give MU crap for leaving the Big 12.

The next topic revolves around stadium issues & getting more people to the games. Obviously not a good time for either, when you are coming off two bad seasons in a row, but this needs to be addressed.

I agree that we do need a new stadium. I know - some of you will say we can't fill the one we have. We have improved our facilities a great deal, but we need to take the next step. Where we play is a great location, but it is antiquated, & frankly I think we would be better off with a new place than renovating again.

I do think a new stadium should be on campus, either on the current site (tear down old one & play for a year or two at Arrowhead), or perhaps property between 9th & 11th and between Missouri & Mississippi should be bought up, razed, and build stadium there. New stadium should be about 65K, with possibilities for expansion.

I will use OSU stadium as an example. This is exactly what we need here. They were also not good for a long time, but are definitely on the upswing. I know, can we find a Pickens to help with this? Might need to be several people/companies.

This leads to final point, ticket sales. Again, a tough sell right now. Jayhawk Nation has to step up in this regard, & the Athletic Dept/Williams Fund people need to lead the way & personally talk with every alum (especially ones who live a few hours away or less), & get them to commit to season tickets. I don't know how much this is really done. We see & hear a lot of ads, but how much talking is being done with our alumni, asking them to buy.

If you combine a hard sell for filling the stadium, plans to have a new stadium, along with a new coach (hopefully with a respected name), & a commitment from the university to football the same way basketball is, then we could be on our way to being a competitive program again. I don't know about you all, but I am sick of seeing schools like KSU & MU beat us like a drum. We should demand to be better, we've done it before, we can do it again. I urge all of Jayhawk Nation to get behind me on this. Rock Chalk!!

JhawkalumJB 3 years, 1 month ago

I would love to hear a new stadium was in the works. I don't see it happening anytime soon though. Funding would be the biggest hurdle.

The real problem we are facing now is coaching. Think about it. Mangino went to the Orange bowl before the new practice fields and Anderson Football complex were in place.

Facilities do make a difference, but coaching is what we are truly lacking right now.

Leach! Leach! Leach!!!!!

stravinsky 3 years, 1 month ago

No way we'd build a new stadium. We can't even fill the one we have. Plus, there's zero momentum. And also, it seems, the money isn't there.

Remember plans for the expansion of the stadium that the Athletics Department was trumpeting about a year or two ago? Not the hokey armchairs by the endzone, but the actual expansion? Remember it not happening? Yeah, that was because they realized, after stringing along their architects, that they had both no money and no actual incentive to do it.

texashawk10 3 years, 1 month ago

Who needs rivals when you have fans like KU does. This fanbase has turned into a bigger joke than what most claim Gill to be. I would give my right nut to be at the game on Saturday because I support the two letters on the side of the helmet regardless of whose is coaching the team (notice I did not say I support the coach) or whose head is inside that helmet because I will support KU regardless of how good or bad they are in any area, athletics or academically. I would much rather deal with the most annoyingly retarded Missouri fan on a daily basis that does nothing but make statements about how Missouri is so much better than Kansas because they are at least being loyal to their school and state like they should be and I have more respect for those people right now than I do for the dumbasses sitting at their keyboards actively cheering for 18-23 years to fail. At this point, I would call KU's fanbase one of the 10 worst in country because there is very little support for any aspect of the school or athletic department right now. Those of you who choose not to support the university can go eff yourself with rusty hooks for all I care because y'all are nothing but worthless pieces crap to begin with. If you're offended by this post, I don't care because it most likely applies to you so go eff off.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk til the day I die.

beebe1 3 years, 1 month ago

The best intelligent suggestion so far is Shannon! My own was the DC from AL or LSU. Leach seems a bad choice. Tressel could perhaps be improved as a HC -- he sure knows offense. Then how about the best pro DC? For our kind of money he should at least look!

Many of the suggestions make no sense to me.

Hatter8333 3 years, 1 month ago

First move...hire Jim Leavitt. He would take the job and he has real Div. 1 experience and has had teams in the top 10. He has worked with Sheahon at K-State and would understand what it takes to build a winner. As far as the stadium is concerned...take the track out. Tear down the north bowl of the stadium and replace it with a structure that is built just behind the end zone so we can finally create some energy in the place. Put in some nice suites to help fund the construction.

GoodbyeMU 3 years, 1 month ago

How soon we all forget that it was not all sunshine with Chubby..

2002 Mark Mangino 2- 10 2003 Mark Mangino 6- 7 2004 Mark Mangino 4- 7 2005 Mark Mangino 7- 5 Fort Worth (W) Houston, 41-13 2006 Mark Mangino 6- 6 2007 Mark Mangino 12- 1 Orange (W) Virginia Tech, 24-21 2008 Mark Mangino 8- 5 Insight (W) Minnesota, 42-21 2009 Mark Mangino 5- 7

Probably gets one more year to make it right and show progress -- not saying I agree -- but probably should get accustome to the idea...