Thursday, March 4, 2010

’Cats love Collins, too

KSU respects ‘best player in country’

Kansas guard Sherron Collins fights back tears as he and his teammates watch a highlight reel following their 82-65 win over Kansas State Wednesday, March 3, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Videos

KU vs. KSU

video thumbnail

Kansas takes on Kansas State Wednesday, March 3, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Reader poll

Where would Sherron Collins rank in your list of all-time favorite KU basketball players?

• No. 1 9% 746 votes
  • Top 5 44% 3560 votes
  • Top 10 30% 2472 votes
  • Top 20 11% 888 votes
  • Top 30 2% 197 votes
  • Top 100 1% 102 votes
  • He wouldn't rank in my top 100 0% 75 votes
  • Undecided 0% 26 votes

8066 total votes.

Audio clips

Kansas-Kansas State

Kansas State freshmen Wally Judge and Rodney McGruder have faced Kansas University guard Sherron Collins just twice in their young careers.

But Wednesday, after an 82-65 loss to KU at Allen Fieldhouse, both indicated they understood just how fortunate they were to have seen him.

“Where I come from, I was always taught that you never duck competition,” said Judge, who scored six points and grabbed four rebounds in the loss. “I feel I would be cheating myself if I didn’t play against the best players in the country, and he’s the best player in the country.”

McGruder, who gave Kansas State a lift off the bench by contributing five points and six rebounds in 21 minutes, said facing Collins taught him a lot about Big 12 basketball.

“It’s the same thing tonight (as it was in KU’s 81-79 overtime victory on Jan. 30 in Manhattan),” McGruder said. “There’s a lot of respect there.”

Although Collins — 17 points off 5-of-15 shooting — was the focus of Wednesday’s Senior Night, his teammates kept K-State at bay. Collins missed the first shot of the game and finished the first half 1-of-9 from the floor.

However, KU’s Xavier Henry and Markieff Morris combined to hit eight of 10 first-half shots, and that staked Kansas to a 45-38 halftime lead.

Even with Collins struggling, Kansas State coach Frank Martin said the senior guard still had enough of a presence to impact the outcome.

“I don’t know what it is, but Sherron just takes it to another level,” said Martin, whom reporters standing outside of the KSU locker room heard screaming at his team for 10 to 15 minutes after the game. “Every time we made a run tonight and got the game back where we needed it to be, he made a big play — on either side of the floor. And that’s what makes him great.”

Collins hit four of six shots in the second half, including a three-pointer with 9:40 remaining that pushed KU’s lead to 65-55. He then scored the next four points for the Jayhawks to put K-State behind by 13 with 6:15 to play.

There were many reasons for K-State’s struggles this time around, not the least of which was the strong play of the Jayhawks. After combining for 31 points and 18 rebounds in the first meeting, Curtis Kelly, Dominique Sutton and Jamar Samuels contributed a total of eight points and eight boards Wednesday. The Wildcats also were saddled with foul trouble throughout the contest, which forced them to play zone for much of the second half. Four KSU players finished with four fouls.

Guards Denis Clemente (21 points) and Jacob Pullen (20) led K-State (24-5 overall, 11-4 Big 12) in scoring, and, despite their latest setback, the Wildcats left Lawrence ready to rebound.

“It’s a heartbreaker going 0-2 against your archrival,” McGruder said. “But we just have to bounce back and go out and get the next one.”

Added Martin: “We’ve been a good team all year. This doesn’t change that. We lost to the best team in the country. We’ve got nothing to hang our heads about.”

Comments

KUChiefs2703 4 years, 1 month ago

The earliest that we will have to face KSU in the NCAAs is in the Final Four. The top 3 teams in a conference can't be placed in the same region. After the top 3 then they can place the rest of the teams anywhere they want.

BrockIII 4 years, 1 month ago

For our arch rivals, this KSU team really has a lot of class. It's refreshing to see these two teams in the heat of battle, picking each other off the floor and praising each other. KSU could be the preseason favorite to win the Big 12 next year, but UT obviously has a great case as well. The renewal of this rivalry is going to be a great thing.

AsadZ 4 years, 1 month ago

For Frank Martin to give a big hug to Sherron was pretty classic. he gained a lot of my respect last night. He seems to be a genuine figure and he is building up the program at KSU.

JJHAWK 4 years, 1 month ago

Hey Fat Albert - can you dunk?

JJHAWK 4 years, 1 month ago

Hey Fat Albert - can you dunk?

Mike Kendall 4 years, 1 month ago

dynamitehawk--- you've got a good sense of humor---keep it that way. I enjoy your posts, man!!!!!!!!!

Benjamin Piehler 4 years, 1 month ago

ksu, ku, missouri is gonna be pretty interesting next year. miz has the 15th "Best" recruiting class, and im assuming k state will continue to get good players out of the prep school so many of their players come from. Big 12 North could get rough.

docileboy 4 years, 1 month ago

I think KSU showed a lot of class in their loss to the Jayhawks. I hope they will do well in the big dance. Keep in mind these two teams could meet again in the Big 12 tourny.

MDHawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Hmmm....the picture above really doesn't suggest chubby. He looks freakin' solid. A funny quote, either way. And I agree, Wally should be getting more time for the Cats. Hopefully it's not his attitude or practice demeanor that are keeping him out of the loop.

I also have to agree with vmwskywalk - the majority of the time, I can't stand KSU fans. However, I do like their team, and I wish them the best in the tourney. I guarantee there isn't a single #1 seed that wants to see them as #2 in their region. I'd love to see them pound Puke, Contucky, or Syracrap. As for us, I'd really rather not have to play them again, to be honest. It would be very difficult to beat such a good team three times in one year.

dynamitehawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Oh lord. If Sherron Collins is chubby then I am Fat Albert.

Joel Hood 4 years, 1 month ago

Frank Martin will eventually develop a Bobby Knight reputation nationally for recruits. You will get better if you play for him, but it comes at cost a lot of players don’t want to pay. Also, Knight always had the academic repuation that seemed to mitigate many of his negatives. I’m not exactly sure what Martin brings to the table that mitigates his temper with his players. To berate your team after a loss like last night seems counter productive. My God I’m glad we have Bill Self…

SoCalAlum 4 years, 1 month ago

Thinking ahead: the University of Miami is currently 4-11 (tied for last place) in the ACC, and just lost to an atypically lame UNC team (btw, giving UNC victory #2000). With a likely loss to Florida State this weekend to end the season, you've got to figure that Frank Haith is done and Frank Martin would be the prime candidate to replace him for his homecoming and (I would imagine) his dream job. Perfect.

knayte 4 years, 1 month ago

I would love to see KSU and Duke in one region 1 and 2.

Steve Brown 4 years, 1 month ago

I welcome Duke & Purdue & Wisconsin as seeds in our region and Maryland Louisville WVU Ohio State somewhere else....can't wait for selection sunday.

Beat MIZZOUAH pretenders.

quigley 4 years, 1 month ago

I would love to see KSU and Duke in one region 1 and 2.

quigley 4 years, 1 month ago

I would love to see KSU and Duke in one region 1 and 2.

quigley 4 years, 1 month ago

I would love to see KSU and Duke in one region 1 and 2.

vmwskywalk 4 years, 1 month ago

I can't stand KSU fans, but I'm really starting to like their basketball team. Never thought I would say it. With that said, when they play KU, I'd just as soon slit their throats (not literally). I'd love to see KSU as a 1 seed, but if not, hopefully they'll be a 2 seed in Contucky's region.

Phoggin_Loud 4 years, 1 month ago

KSU will be a 1 or a 2 seed.

I really don't see any way that the Committee would put KU & KSU in the same regional bracket.

They only way they they would meet in the NCAA Tourney would be in the Final Four.

focojayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

It is awesome having both Kansas teams in the top 5! Last night on ESPN they were talking that there is a strong possiblity KSU could pass up Duke and take a number one seed since Duke lost to a lower ranked team....crazy!! This season I went to both KSU and KU when they played at Boulder. Both times I heard CU fans behind me say...."Man, I am getting really SICK of Kansas basketball!!!" Well, we are lovin it!

Tony Bandle 4 years, 1 month ago

Las Vegas has a line going for an over/under in number of days when Frank Martin's head finally explodes.

I fear that, someday, he is going to punch a kid on national television and that will be the end of that!!

Tony Bandle 4 years, 1 month ago

Mike Kendall 4 years, 1 month ago

Puggy-- You made a good point about Self in the locker room after the O-State loss. How can Frank Martin yell and scream at his players after losing to one of the best, if not the best team in America? I guess I don't understand that, being a former coach myself. K-State is a good team. They are hard team to guard. My son, unfortunately, is a K-State fan. I told him K-State will make it to the Elite 8 if they are away from KU's bracket. Judge and McGruder are good young players. K-State will be right up there, next season. Rock Chalk!

Steve Brown 4 years, 1 month ago

Frank's boys play with intensity. I hope he wins a ton of games in the big show. Also, hope he stays in Manhattan and helps make the Big 12 even better.

it's good for us to have quality rivals...

Lindsey Buscher 4 years, 1 month ago

I think he meant Collins gives him a chubby whatever that means. And Martin needs to understand that sometimes you just get beat. They didn't deserve to win that game because (1) KU has the better team and (2) KU played better.

I'd be willing to bet cash money that Coach Self was the opposite in the locker room after the pathetic performance last Saturday. I'm sure he was plenty angry, but how mad can you really get when you lose a game you deserved to lose?

William Blake 4 years, 1 month ago

KSU is gooood... and they are going to be great next year. I like that Kansas has two teams in the top 10. And we do it all without the big media hype gift given to all the teams in the Big East and ACC.... It would be great to repeat '88 with two original Big 8 teams in the championship game... but this time an inner-state rivalry.

That would be a perfect conclusion to this year!

But before jumping ahead.... we need to go pound some tiggie meat in Columbia on Saturday.

edjayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Chill out. You are pathetic if you can't respect them when they are respecting our players.

Studogg 4 years, 1 month ago

Way to clarify, rockchalk25.

KEITHMILES05 4 years, 1 month ago

So, Frank builds his team up by screaming at them post game. Gotcha Frank.

Rock_Chalk_25 4 years, 1 month ago

Sherron Collins chubby? I don't know if that's what I'd call him, at least not with a microphone in my face and knowing it's going to be reported. But now I'm interested, and I want to see Collins with his shirt off...in the most non-gay way possible.

jayhawkinATL 4 years, 1 month ago

Yep, really surprised Judge hasn't been a factor for the 'Cats this year. A McDonald's all-American...no. 17 overall recruit...huh.

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 1 month ago

KSU fans HATE Collins. All the more reason for us to love him.

Dyrk Dugan 4 years, 1 month ago

why isn't Wally Judge a regular player for them? He has really filled out, he's athletic, and he plays defense.

how in the world is not at least a 15-20 minute per game guy? He has to be the worst practice player in the world...because when he comes on the court vs.Kansas this year, he's pretty doggone good.

Aligned 4 years, 1 month ago

I respect what Frank Martin has been able to accomplish in a short time at K-State, but I really don't see the point...

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 1 month ago

Gee Wally, you've got game too! Why is he a Purplecat? He could have fit in just about anywhere.

kushaw 4 years, 1 month ago

I love this quote: “He’s fearless,” Judge said. “He’s strong and kind of chubby, but he’s fearless.”

Great quote Wally!