Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Turgeon dejected

A&M coach: ‘I thought we had ‘em’

Texas A&M head coach Mark Turgeon watches with a deflated group of Aggies as the game winds down.

Audio clips

2010 KU-Texas A&M

Reader poll

Will KU go a perfect 16-0 in conference play?

• Yes 51% 1564 votes
  • No 40% 1228 votes
  • Undecided 8% 258 votes

3050 total votes.

Kansas holds off Aggies

The Jayhawks overcame Texas A&M in the final minutes Monday, Feb. 15, 2010 at Reed Arena in College Station, Texas.

— Kansas University’s basketball players aren’t talking much yet about the possibility of going unbeaten in the Big 12 Conference.

Texas A&M; coach Mark Turgeon did it for them following the Aggies’ 59-54 loss Monday night.

“Our league’s good, and they’re 11-0. I don’t know if anybody can beat them,” Turgeon said. “I’ve seen the teams. I thought K-State could at K-State, and they didn’t.

“If they stay focused, I don’t know who’s going to beat them.”

Turgeon said he was especially impressed with the Jayhawks’ defense, as the Aggies made just 22 of 63 shots (35 percent) in their first home loss of the season.

“I wasn’t sure how good they were watching them on film, and they’re much better than I thought, in person,” Turgeon said. “And they’re getting better.”

Turgeon, who played point guard at KU from 1984-87 and was an assistant there from 1987-92, was visibly dejected in the postgame news conference, often staring down at the table during responses.

“You just hate to let it slip away, because I thought we had ’em,” Turgeon said, tapping his fingers on the base of his microphone. “We’re all pretty disappointed right now.”

The coach said the difference in the game was free throws. Texas A&M; averaged 29 free throws per game coming into the contest, but attempted just 11 against KU, making five.

The Jayhawks, meanwhile, were 18-for-26 from the line.

“(Donald) Sloan wasn’t himself; give them credit. Bryan Davis wasn’t himself; give them credit,” Turgeon said. “But I never thought we should have been behind.”

Turgeon said the key stretch for A&M; was when it went ahead, 52-48, with 6:36 remaining. Though the Aggies allowed just four points over the next three minutes, they went just 1-for-6 on the offensive end with two turnovers.

“I said before you guys I can’t believe we lost the game,” Turgeon said. “I just thought we were in control the whole game. I never thought we were going to lose. I’m a little disappointed.”

The Aggies went 0-for-7 from the floor in the final 4:08.

“I thought they had pretty good defense the whole game,” said Sloan, a senior guard. “I guess our elbows got tight, and our legs got a little stiff. A lot of shots weren’t going in for us that were going in for us earlier in the game.”

The game was another close call for the Turgeon-coached Aggies, who also lost in overtime to then-No. 1 Texas on Jan. 16.

“I’m in there (locker room) beating myself up,” Turgeon said. “I’ll coach ’em better, and we’ll get better. Our day’s coming.”

Comments

KULA 9 years, 11 months ago

If Bill Self ever moves on, I hope we get Turgeon. Imagine what he could do with the kind of talent the Kansas Program recruits.

murph 9 years, 11 months ago

That would be a tough call, KULA. If Self left, do we want Turgeon or Manning? I'm glad I wouldn't be the guy who had to pick. Turgeon is looking to me like the newest great branch of the Kansas coaching tree. Rock Chalk, Turg. Great job.

7texdude 9 years, 11 months ago

Manning. No question in my mind. And it's not a knock on Turgeon. But I would hate for Self to leave regardless.

mojayhawk 9 years, 11 months ago

I wish bloggers would stop talking about "if Bill Self moves on". He is committed to Kansas. Enjoy the ride! Plus, be very glad we have Coach Self. I loved Turg as our point guard, and he is a winner, but also a whiner. I have never respected whining.

Mike Kendall 9 years, 11 months ago

Turgeon--- Thanks for the love, man!!!! I still say that the O-State and Mizzou road games are not gimmies. Kind of looking at a 20-foot put in golf. Even the K-State home game (Senior Night) is starting to scare me a bit. Not there yet so, I am not worried about it yet. Bill will be here a long time so, I am not going to speculate who would replace him if he leaves. Like mojayhawk said: "I'm going to enjoy the ride!" And then some!!!!!

Mike Kendall 9 years, 11 months ago

Geeze-- Putt, not put---sorry folks!! As Mizzou would say, "My bad!"

86finalfour 9 years, 11 months ago

I've always thought Turgeon was an amazing coach, since the days I got the pleasure of this instruction as a kid at Larry Brown's BBall camp in 88.

And I've always thought he was one of the logical choices for a Self predecessor.
Manning, on the other hand, I'm not so sure. Love the guy and his winning presence on the bench but not sure if he's cut out for that. He's very quiet, almost reticent. So I would question his recruiting ability and with the media. But then again, you never know!

slowplay 9 years, 11 months ago

I think Manning would be a great recruiter and I've been told he plays a huge part in that process already for HCBS. He does need experience as a top dog for a few years before he could handle the pressures of a head coach at KU. I don't think it would be a matter of X's & O's, but of the fishbowl existence of being the KU coach and the inevitable comparisons with all the greats that have coached here. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on his quiet nature. A few years back (I think it was Wright) said he looks like a puppy but he has a nasty bulldog streak as well.

Sally Presson 9 years, 11 months ago

STOP talking about Coach Self going somewhere!!! He is KU Basketball, where would he go that's better than KU. The pros? I don't think he'd like the pros, he's a teacher, a character builder. I'm looking for many more years with Coach Self as a KU Coach. He's the dream coach, he's got it all and I do believe he's KU through and through.

We love our Self!!!

MDHawk 9 years, 11 months ago

Nice work, Hawks...I'll go ahead and let Big Lew handle the coaching search (assuming he's still around when Self retires). Many, many years off, fellas...I know speculating is fun, but I agree that we should just enjoy the ride. From one coach to another, there isn't any guarantees, and continuing the success from Roy to Bill to even another coach will be a challenge, to say the least. So let's enjoy having one of the greatest coaches, and speculate when he tells us he's done...not a moment before. I've been high on Turg for years now, but I'm on the Self train until the final stop! Rock Chalk!! Bring on them Buffs!

brooksmd 9 years, 11 months ago

jhwkfan162515 (anonymous) says... "Manning would have to prove himself as a head coach at a smaller school or at a less famous I-A program...."

slowplay (anonymous) says..."He does need experience as a top dog for a few years before he could handle the pressures of a head coach at KU. I don't think it would be a matter of X's & O's, but of the fishbowl existence of being the KU coach and the inevitable comparisons with all the greats that have coached here."

86finalfour 9 years, 11 months ago

for those interested in hearing Turgeon after the game (scroll to bottom): http://www.aggieathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/021510aaa.html

Also, interesting to see Self, X and Cole's audio on their site. That could be an interesting feature to add on KUsports.com, especially with tough rivalry games and post-season. I'd like to hear what Martin and Anderson have to say after a KU victory!

Jesse Newell 9 years, 11 months ago

86 — Self, X, Cole and Turgeon's audio is on the top left side of this page.

86finalfour 9 years, 11 months ago

Ooops, I see Turgeon's. I knew we had our players and coach's audio but not the opponent's. Thanks. BTW, Self,s audio sounds so much better on A&M's site. You can actually hear the question.

Phoggin_Loud 9 years, 11 months ago

Coach Self is the best coach in college basketball. He is 47 years old and has won 83% of his games @ KU. Turgeon could retire or get fired before Self leaves KU.

Enjoy the ride!!

David Leathers 9 years, 11 months ago

I seriously wanted Mark Turgeon to coach KU over Bill Self. Obviously my opinion has changed but, either way I think that we would have been better off than we were with Roy. Wichita St. was a force to be reconed with when Turg was there. Like KULA said, imagine what he could do with the KU name on his sweater when he's recruiting.

I still love you HCBS!!!!

hawk316 9 years, 11 months ago

You gotta feel for Turg. He's still family. But what a great win for the Hawks! It's that kind of composure and perseverance (in a very hostile environment no less) that should pay off tournament time. Very impressive.

jayhawker_97 9 years, 11 months ago

Turg is a good coach and his team proved they deserve to be in the top 25, even higher, i think. TAMU owned the highlights yesterday - they executed their offense well. but KU had better defense that proved we could shut down a very good team. if only the shots were falling for KU...still, a win is a win. rock chalk!

KULA 9 years, 11 months ago

I don't expect Self to ever leave. I couldn't imagine him leaving for another college job, but if he wins another championship, the NBA's gonna come calling. Expect that. And some of these guys are motivated by the idea of new challenges, i.e. Larry Brown, so you never know. I hope we never lose Self, but I'd go with Turgeon if we did. Manning's great for recruiting & teaching big men but I don't think he's the head coach type (most great players aren't). Turg is a proven great X&O guy (he learned from the best). With KU recruiting, he easily wins 30 games/yr. I'm still ticked how they got screwed against UCLA in the NCAA a couple years ago.

Todd Mobray 9 years, 11 months ago

For those of you who think Manning needs to prove himself...

Have you been watching KU's bigs for the last few years?

Darnell, Sasha, Cole, the Twins

These guys are showing off the charts improvement from year to year. They are going from from projects to draft picks and 3 or 4 star recruits to lottery picks.

Manning has actually coached our big men. I could never have imagined after watching the season last year that Marcus was going to be our most dependable player and the #1 scorer in conference play.

That didn't happen with Roy. We had some good bigs, but they were basically as good on day one as they were when they left. Their only improvements came from getting older and stronger.

Remember Eric Chenowith? Remember how many times Roy (and others) called Ostertag soft and were disappointed with his progression. Remember any seven footers who left the program so they could play "facing the basket" i.e. being a Roy-style soft big man when Roy left? When Roy did finally get a big man at UNC who wasn't soft, he thought it was abnormal and nicknamed him "Psycho", and remember, Hansbrough's runner up in recruiting was KU because of the presence of "Mr. Manning"... If Manning would have been a coach instead of Team Manager or Director of Basketball Operations when we recruited Hansboro, he may have scored all those points as a Jayhawk.

Those of you who think it would be a good idea to ship Manning off to another school to get some seasoning may want to apply for a job with the AD's office over in Manhattan. That type of thinking will fit in real well with the geniuses over there who want to wait around on Martin's contract and get into a bidding war with every team who has an opening and a fat checkbook this off season.

Spencer Goff 9 years, 11 months ago

I wonder if A&M can hold onto Turg. Right now the guy coaches the best team in his own state, yet is not the #1 recruiting school in that same state, and likely never will be.

Also, KULA, some thoughts... Bill Self is probably one of the few guys that his ego won't demand he go to the NBA, I think he respects a consistent lifestyle, and the NBA can't offer that to any coach. The average life expectancy of a head coach in the NBA isn't even 2 full seasons, and that is with guys like Popovich, Sloan, and Jackson bringing that average waaaaaay up (they pretty much ARE the average). This is how bad it is... Avery Johnson was fired the year after winning coach of the year! Byron Scott, known for turning around the Hornets on his way to coach of the year honors, and then getting canned nine games into the 2009 season!? Sam Mitchell (most people are like WHO!?) won the same award for the 2007 season with the (c)Raptors, guess where he doesn't work now. Zero security, zilch, forget that crap, stay where you have a career, reputation, and stability. Three coaches of the year fired within two seasons of winning the award. Every time I see a college coach leave for the pros, my first question is, "I wonder what college he comes back to next year."

And lastly, yes, A&M got screwed against UCLA.

waywardJay 9 years, 11 months ago

After i breathed a small sigh of relief watching our 'HJawks dribble out.... I stood up and applauded the effort Texas AM gave. Like it or not, we were given a lesson last night and it might teach us in the coming games.

Did Loubeau get a gift no call on Marcus for that charge ? Oh yes. The same play he turns left into the lane and get touched for a whistle and a three point play.

There was some horrible officiating but let's be honest we got a few also.

There's always going to be jawing. There's always going to be disagreeing with calls. But last night there was some real basketball played very very ugly by two really talented teams.

Wish we could beat them with ROland though.

slowplay 9 years, 11 months ago

"Hmmmm, what small school or less famous 1-A school did Roy Williams prove himself at before he took on the pressures and fishbowl existence of being head coach at KU and the inevitable comparisons with all the greats that have coached here? Just wondering."... Good point. He did have 10 years+ under Dean Smith but common sense says you would still like to see the next coach with some previous D1 or D2 experience (i.e Self). Personally I don't see Self going anywhere in the next 10 years, but it is fun to speculate. For those who doubt Self would ever leave for the NBA, I also have to agree, but, at some point, a $5M to $8M salary might sway him.

agfan1030 9 years, 11 months ago

agfan1030 (anonymous) says... Last night's game was a tough one to lose...a heartbreaker for the Aggies...proud of our team and coaches even though the team was not at its best. Awful job by the refs...but not blaming the loss on them as our freethrows (which we didn't get enough of) were something to be desired......The day that Kansas or some other big name school lures Turgeon away will be a sad day for A&M basketball. Just hope we can keep him happy with salary and fan support. Our fans were outstanding last night. Students were simply great...good luck with the rest of conference play (BTHOKSt and MO) until hopefully we can meet again in the Big 12 tourney. Thanks for taking tu and tceh and baylor down.

slowplay 9 years, 11 months ago

"Last night's game was a tough one to lose...a heartbreaker for the Aggies...proud of our team and coaches even though the team was not at its best." ... Nor was Kansas.

"Awful job by the refs..." Not really. There were a few calls both ways but in general the refs were consistent.

"as our freethrows (which we didn't get enough of) were something to be desired......" KU attacked the basket while the Aggies settled for the outside shot. You don't get to the line that way.

"Just hope we can keep him happy with salary and fan support." .... I think you can. He seems committed A&M.

I see A&M as the biggest obstacle to winning the Big 12 tourney. They match up well with KU and are probably more athletic than most of the other Big 12 schools.

Spencer Goff 9 years, 11 months ago

No way agfan is for real, has to be a troller.

Why?

He called Texas TU, nobody in the state of Texas doesn't know they are UT. It be smellin' of troll up in here. I swear they put it on road signs.

bufordjustice 9 years, 11 months ago

agfan1030 9 years, 11 months ago

So, in an eternal act of defiance, the Aggies only refer to their rival as t.u. (Texas University, and always lowercase). ...

No Troll...no road sign...you don't know as much as you think...funny

Mike Barnhart 9 years, 11 months ago

Mike Kendall 9 years, 11 months ago

jjjjjhok-----Oooohhhhhhhhh-----keep dreamin'!

agfan1030 9 years, 11 months ago

jjjjjjhok…Your last two posts to KUsports.com are a little confusing: Turgeon dejected I hope five years from now Roy retires and Carolina hires Turgeon. Then, five years later, Coach Self retires after winning his fifth NCAA title and KU hires Turg away from Carolina. FACE!!! February 16, 2010 at 7:42 p.m

Aggies’ Turgeon among Big 12’s best Turg reminds me a lot of his old college coach; he was also a sourpuss. A heck of a coach who won us a championship but one morose dude. February 15, 2010 at 7:55 a.m

In the lastest one you sound as if you are either jealous Turgeon is at A&M or are afraid of what he might accomplish here. In the one prior to that you are demeaning of his character. (But, you knew him when…) You can be sure Turgeon is loved and respected at A&M and is gaining more of that daily. We are proud to have this Jayhawk at the head of Aggie basketball.

I am not sure why my post irritated you. (At least I took it that way because it followed mine. Maybe I am wrong about that.) I am glad KU defeated t.u. (yes, that is legit in Aggieland), Baylor, and tceh. I hope you BTHO KSt and MO. You have a great team. We have a great team. Neither team played their best Monday night. Wish you all the luck this season except if we should meet again.

This is the first week I have posted on KUsports.com. Was drawn to it by the Turgeon Dejected article.

agfan1030 9 years, 11 months ago

agfan1030 9 years, 11 months ago

Ralster, Appreciated your post. Have always respected KU's success...big time program...great coach. A&M is trying to get there. Gillispie gave us a good start and I thought I was disappointed when he left us the way he did. Now, I am so glad he is gone and the Jayhawk was invited to take the job. Hope BCG gets his act together and gets another school soon. I think he will (get another school/not sure about the other). Turgeon has proven to be a gem for us. He picked up the program and is heading it in the right direction. I like the way he coaches. And, I also like the way he talks. He doesn't whitewash anything. He tells it like it is. And, he isn't afraid to take the blame even when it is not his fault. Maybe in the near future A&M will make a deep run in March. The crowd we had Monday night was the best ever. Everybody was so hyped about the game. Who wouldn't be. I think it was better than when t.u. comes to play. Hopefully, on the 27th (t.u.) our crowd will be as good as it was when Kansas came to Reed Arena. It's been a sell out for awhile. So, it should be. I better quit talking about A&M. This is a Kansas forum. I'll be ticking off some more KU fans. I know how some of the Aggie posters get when some of the Big 12 fans post on it. But, there are a few "outsiders" who are good posters. Outbreakorn (a KU poster) is particularly good and somewhat supportive. Go ahead and whip everyone you all play except us (if that comes about). Oh, and Calipari catches a lot of crap on TexAgs.com. There are several big time programs in danger of not making March Madness. Hope they don't make it on past reputation...just not right.

Edward Daub 9 years, 11 months ago

Mark "The Surgeon" Turgeon, known for his "Needle Like" passes. Now he is dissecting enemy defenses! Sorry Turg, you are an Aggie now.

agfan1030 9 years, 11 months ago

ralster, BCG had the reputation in College Station. Had a teacher friend with inside connections who talked about it. His carousing got to be a joke. He was/is a very good coach. He was reveled by all with his success with the basketball program. A&M was 0-16 in conference the season before he came. If you want to read a good article that came out today go to http://www.wkyt.com/sports/headlines/84625947.html It is a very interesting article about BCG (although quite long). You know, his story would make a very good movie if it ends up having a good ending (or not). Yes, I was so hoping MSSt would beat UK. I hope some Big 12 team takes them out...if not us, then KU.