Kansas defeats Texas A&M, 59-54

• 8 p.m., Feb. 15, 2010
  • Reed Arena, College Station, TX

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Jayhawks survive another close call

Kansas teammates Tyshawn Taylor (10) and Xavier Henry bump fists as they walk off the court smiling after the Jayhawks' 59-54 win over Texas A&M, Monday, Feb. 15, 2010 at Reed Arena in College Station, Texas.

Audio clips

2010 KU-Texas A&M

Reader poll

Will KU go a perfect 16-0 in conference play?

• Yes 51% 1564 votes
  • No 40% 1228 votes
  • Undecided 8% 258 votes

3050 total votes.

Kansas holds off Aggies

The Jayhawks overcame Texas A&M in the final minutes Monday, Feb. 15, 2010 at Reed Arena in College Station, Texas.

— Mark Turgeon, who passed Bill Self in a Reed Arena hallway on the way to the interview room, didn’t try to mask his disappointment as he briefly visited with the head coach of his alma mater’s basketball team late Monday night.

“I thought we had you,” Texas A&M; coach/Kansas University graduate Turgeon said, shaking his head.

“You did have us,” Self replied quickly, after his No. 1-ranked Jayhawks managed to pull out a 59-54 victory over Turg’s No. 24-rated Aggies.

The two went on to discuss good-naturedly a few calls that could have gone either way.

“You’re doing a great job, Turg,” Self said, concluding a rare chat between opposing coaches following a hard-fought game.

Just 30 minutes earlier, while exiting the court, Self asked the question of the night — “How’d we ever win that game?” — to nobody in particular as he exited the tunnel toward the victorious KU locker room.

Good question, coach.

The Jayhawks were outrebounded, 41-33 (A&M; had a whopping 20 offensive rebounds) on a night they made hit just 43.5 percent of their shots, including one of 10 threes.

What’s more, senior guard Sherron Collins missed seven of nine shots and scored just seven points with one assist against five turnovers, leaving leading scoring honors to Xavier Henry, Marcus Morris and Cole Aldrich, who had just 12 apiece.

The answer to Self’s question obviously did not come on the offensive end, but the defensive. KU held the hard-working, yet cold-shooting (34.9 percent, 5-for-21 threes), Aggies to zero points off 0-of-7 shooting the last four minutes, eight seconds.

The Jayhawks, who were down 54-52 following a bucket by Donald Sloan, managed seven points in that game-ending “run” (two free throws by Morris, a goaltending bucket by Aldrich and three free throws by Henry) to win that four-minute battle, 7-0.

“We just came together in the huddle and said we have to hunker down and play defense,” said Aldrich, who blocked five shots and in the process became KU’s all-time single-season block leader. He has 98, two more rejections than Greg Ostertag totaled in 1993-94.

“I think coach will tell you this, if we play defense, then the offense takes care of itself,” Aldrich added. “Toward the end, we started to defend. We gave up 20 offensive rebounds tonight, which is unacceptable. That’s on our bigs.”

The late defensive work put a smile on the face of Self, who felt his squad was outworked on the glass the majority of the contest.

“If Marcus isn’t going to play much (20 foul-plagued minutes) and Sherron has the night he had, it’s amazing to me that we won the game,” Self said. “We won the game muddy. We’ve shown we can win games when we make shots. It’s probably a good thing to know we can win a game muddy, ugly from an offensive standpoint.

“We can say it’s ugly, but from our perspective, when we shoot it miserably from distance, but not turn it over (11) and get fouled (KU hit 18 of 26 free throws to A&M;’s five of 11), even though it wasn’t pretty, those were two things that make it a positive situation for us.

“I think their big guys controlled our big guys,” he added. “Our bigs did play well down the stretch, though.”

Everybody played well on the defensive end late.

“Sometimes you get lucky when they miss open looks and you get unlucky when they make guarded ones. Our defense was pretty good late,” Self said.

Though pleased KU improved to 25-1 overall and 11-0 in league play, Self realizes there have been some close calls.

“Shocked,” he said of the team being 11-0. “It’s the best the conference has been maybe since the inception of the league. I personally had a record in mind I thought for anybody to have a chance to win the league ... 13-3. It still may be. That’s what I thought it’d be.”

He mentioned that the Colorado, Baylor, Kansas State and A&M; games could have gone either way.

“We’re playing too many of ’em,” he said of nailbiters. “Billy Tubbs (former Oklahoma coach) told me one time over the course of a season you’ve got to play some close games, but you don’t want to play too many, because for whatever reason, he feels they will all balance out at the end. It does take a grind on your team.”

And uses up some good luck?

“It uses up luck, but also uses more energy, more stress,” he said.

KU will meet Colorado at 3 p.m. Saturday in Allen Fieldhouse.

Comments

Chris Shaw 10 years, 1 month ago

General: I know most will disagree with this analysis, but I had to go back and watch this game twice to really stand by these thoughts. I think most will agree that KU could not simply hit shots tonight from anywhere on the court especially 3 point range. With that said, I thought KU played with intensity, effort, and executed really well tonight. Some of you might say, "Executed really well, Shaw?". Yes, I thought KU's offense for the most part tonight was executed very efficiently that resulted in a number of open looks that just didn't go down for the Hawks.

As fans we have to understand, that just because shots aren't falling, that doesn't mean KU is necessarily playing bad basketball. That just means KU is going to have to find another way to "Fight" to win the game and I think KU exhibited that perfectly tonight. I don't know about the rest of you, but as a fan I am completely comfortable with a team trying to "Slow" the pace and play a very methodical game where every possession counts. I use to not be able to say that, but I love the idea and I truly believe KU can win any game in the 50's and 60's from here on out.

Texas A&M: You really have to credit Turgeon and his A&M Aggies. They played fantastic, but this was two very good defensive teams going at one another which I truly enjoyed. Sloan shot a lot, but he also hit some very tough shots, which there isn't anything you can do defensively, but tip your hat and say good job. Loubeau also played fantastic. The Big Trio of Sloan, Loubeau, and Davis were pretty well contained by the Hawks IMO. Loubeau played the best for the Aggies, but was allowed to to dip his shoulder to much in the paint. Davis was simply owned by Aldrich in the middle. This was a defensive battle, and as Bill Self stated after the game........Whomever was the toughest the last 5 minutes of the game was going to win. I think KU out-toughed A&M those last 5 minutes and really showed that this team can focus with a game on the line.

Offense: By they way, anybody else growing frustrated about missing the start of these "Big Monday" games because the Big East games haven't finished yet? As viewers, we missed the first 6 minutes of the first half, but it sounds like KU came out ready to play and so did X as he had 6 early points. Well, from the time we actually got to see the game at the 13:52 mark in the First Half, I thought KU played great up until final 3 minutes of the first half. Based on the score and some of the stats of what we didn't see and the the rest of the Frist Half, I thought KU played 17 Solid minutes of basketball.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 1 month ago

Solid basketball you might ask? Yes, I thought KU ran their offense very well, and I even saw some signs of the "2008 Brillance" tonight with some lobs at the rim and guys simply making the extra pass around the perimeter off of guys creating off the dribble. I thought KU played very unselfishly and you could tell even though the shots weren't falling that this team thoroughly enjoys playing with one another, which is the same characteristic that the 2008 team exhibited.

Case in point, I thought one of the best sequences of the game ended in a Sherron Collins Air-ball. Air-Ball? Yes, Air-Ball! That whole sequence started with an post entry from X to Aldrich. Aldrich got doubled team and kicked it back out to X. X pumped and created in the paint and went towards traiffic in the lane only to kick it out to Reed (I believe it was Reed). He then dropped in to Kieff on the opposite post. Keep in mind that the defensive is completely scrambling at this point and while they were recovering and collapsing on Kieff, he simply kicked it back out to Reed, who quickly passed to X at the top of arc who instantly passed it to Sherron Collins for the wide open look for 3. I mean, this was about a textbook sequence of offense I've seen this season from the Jayhawks. It would have been awesome with a capital "A" if Collins could have knocked down the shot. Nonetheless, even though the shot fell completely short (Been a while since I've seen a Collins air-ball) that was some fantastic ball movment on offense.

There were many sequences like this during the game where the end result didn't result in 2 points. Personally, I can live with that because teams are going to have a lid on a cylinder at times during the season and they are going to have to find other ways to win, which KU did tonight. KU has definitely been limiting their turnovers (11 tonight) lately and that is another sign that I think KU played well even though the shots were clanging and KU was simply stacking their bricks.

Zone Defense: When I saw Bill Self go to the Zone Defense with about 7:30 left in the frist half I have to admit I cringed and completely groaned. I should have probably been given a "Groaner-Foul". However, the Zone Defense was effective and it wasn't at the same time. I understand Self was trying to give the Aggies a different look, but the zone defense totally gave up the potential rebound advantage KU might have had if they would have just stayed man for the whole game.. The Zone Defense worked very effectively in making A&M miss shots, but the Aggies kept getting second and third attempts that also fell short. Good for us, but bad for the future of this zone. The zone worked tonight, but I'm still not a fan. It allowed A&M too many second shots, but the zone did work because it made them shoot a very poor percentage for the game (22-63 for 34.9%). I don't know, the zone was effective, but it wasn't. Hopefully, you all get what I mean by that.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 1 month ago

Coach Self: I thought Coach Self had the genius coaching move of the game (Can you hear the Real Men of Genius guy talking in the background?), but probably nobody noticed it. When Collins tried to split that double-team off the pick and roll that led to the fast break by Dash Harris...................Collins and Aldrich both hustled back and Collins got the block and Aldrich was there for insurance (I thought it was a good no call), but Harris went flying and landed awkwardly on his tailbone.

Now, the Aggies faithful went nuts because they thought it was a foul, but IMO they were just overreacting and being a little too protective and sensitive considering what happened to Derrick Roland a couple months back. Completely understandable from the Aggie Fans, but it wasn't a foul. The genius part of all this was the fact that Self took Aldrich out of the game even when a foul wasn't called right after that play. It was smart because the officials within 3 seconds of inbounding the ball to the Aggies called a ticky tack foul on Marcus to help apease the fans who were really giving it to the officials. Smart move on Self's part to get Aldrich out of the game and not pick up a ticky-tack foul.

Player Tidbits:

Sherron Collins: There is no denying Collins had a bad game tonight. His shot wasn't falling, but to trump all that, I actually thought he made some very poor decisions with the basketball tonight, which is rare for Collins. Not only did he do that, but he also forced some shots knowing he wasn't shooting the basketball well. On the flip side, Collins is a shooter and you have to love his confidence in thinking he's going to make the next shot. I think this is a game Collins would like to forget, but he did step up with 4 big points down the stretch that was simply "Collinsesche" and that's why we love him even when he does have a bad game.

Marcus Morris: This is the first game since Big 12 play started that Marcus didn't get at least 8 FG attempts during the game. I've always said that Marcus getting minimum 8 FG attempts per game is vital to the Jayhawks success. Well, Marcus shot 4-6 for 12 points and found ways to "Impact" the game despite his foul trouble. I thought Marcus was called for some bogus fouls tonight, but credit Marcus for not pouting and making a scene. He simply manned up and did his thing when he was in the game, which he wouldn't have done last year. Marcus is blossoming before our very eyes. Great Game despite 20 minutes and foul trouble.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 1 month ago

Cole Aldrich: Did Aldrich completely make Bryan Davis look silly tonight or what? Aldrich is really coming into his own the last 6 games and it's good to see Aldrich just having fun playing basketball again. He got stuck a couple of times in his post moves, but credit Loubeau and Davis for really good defense on Aldrich. Another double-double out of Aldrich which is great to see. Those two blocks Aldrich had on Davis when he was trying to throw down on Aldrich were spectacular. It really shows how much "Hustle" and "Determination" Aldrich has on the defensive end. Both of those blocks were completely on hustle plays where Aldrich started out of position, but recovered perfectly. Aldrich's "Help" and "Recover" is the best for a big man in the college game. It's pretty to watch!

Kieff Morris: I thought Kieff played absolutely fantastic tonight in his 17 minutes. He rushed one of his post moves and it was a perfect move, but he shot too hard off the glass. He'll look at film tomorrow and kick-himself for missing that shot so badly. Kieff shot absolutely fantastic from the line 5-6 and grabbed 6 boards. Big Improvement of the last couple of games. Kieff also had two great passes to his brother for buckets and I think that was definitely "A Twin" intuition thing taking over on those passes. If KU can keep getting this type of production from Kieff off the bench, KU is going to be very tough come the NCAA tournament. Fantastic game Kieff!

X: X is displaying a more assertive approach over the last 3 games and I like it. We all missed 4 of his points in the first 6 minutes of the first half, but we did get to see that nice pull-up 15 footer in transition that was so controlled and effortless. He made the right choice and decision on that play. There are two things that I am very encouraged about X's game.

1) His assertiveness in taking the ball to the rim even though it's still a work in progress. He is at least taking it strong, which he wasn't doing through the middle part of the year. I wish he would have taken that transition lay-up up with his right instead of his left where he got pinned against the glass. When he's on the right side of the glass like that, he's got to finish with the right or simply use the basket as a shield and go up on the other side. I'm liking the new X though. I even didn't mind the pull-up 3 early in the shot-clock with the defender in his face in the middle of the second half.

2) Rebounding-X is starting to hit the glass on both the offensive and defensive ends and that makes this Jayhawk team even tougher when you have 3 legitimate rebounders in your starting rotation. That's what I've always expected from X is about 5-6 rebounds a game. I think his defensive focus and going after boards has helped his overall offensive game and taken some pressure off him on that end of the floor. That is a good sign. Great Improvement X!

Chris Shaw 10 years, 1 month ago

The only other thing about X is that I wanted to ring his neck on that bothced entry pass to Aldrich, but I'll let it slide. He's still telegraphing his entry passes too much, but that was his only turnover of the game.

Brady Morningstar: He's not shooting the ball well lately, but he did have an impact tonight as he had 5 assists, 1 steal, and 4 rebounds. I think the two tip out rebounds, which he is famous for, were pretty big in tonight's game. Those were extra possessions he gave KU tonight. We all know what were getting with Brady, but I would like to see him look for his shot just a little more and also knock down the few attempts he does get a game.

Tyrel Reed: Not the best stat line, but Reed will never be a stat stuffer and that's why I love this kid so much. Pure effort and energy on his part. As long as he shoots 1-2 (50 percent) or at least hits one 3 pointer a game, I think that is a huge success for KU and Reed. That's what he is in there to do so hopefully he will keep exceeding his expectations with his current role on this team. Played good "D" on a Sloan, but Sloan simply hit some shots with a hand in his face from Taylor, Morningstar, and Reed.

Tyshawn Taylor: I know these are not the statistics 2-4 (4pts), 1blk, 1 stl, 2asst, and 3 rebounds in 22 minutes that Taylor is looking for, but Self got 22 very effective minutes from Taylor tonight and I thought Taylor played well and took care of the ball tonight. That sweet left handed lay-up in transition was sweet. I actually thought that should have been an "And-1", but Taylor didn't get the call. I know Taylor hates his role at the moment, but his role is vital to the Jayhawks success. I think he realizes that and I am still optimistic and encouraged he's going to have a break out game coming soon. His shot, just like Collins, was way off from 3 point range as well. Just one of those nights, but Taylor had a very solid game.

Robinson: Robinson was put in a tough spot and I think Self made a mistake by putting Robinson in the game with 2:30 left in the first half. Collins made a lazy pass to Robinson, but Robinson should have been able to hold onto the ball, but the turnover resulted in a 3 point play by the Aggies in transition that gave A&M the momentum going into half-time. I fault Robinson, but I also fault Self and Collins for Self yanking him after that turnover. Keep your head up Thomas!

Withey: I don't remember anything about Withey when he was in. Actually, I just don't remember him being in there. LOL! I remember the announcer saying his name, but that was it.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 1 month ago

TJ Whatley sigting: Who is the guy on Kansas' bench who is sporting the TJ Whatley mustache? LMAO! I about fell off my couch in laughter after briefly seeing "The Stache" as ESPN showed the bench towards the end of the game. For those that don't remember, TJ Whatley was a great kid who was a walk-on during the mid 90's, but always sported this very thick black mustache that always seemed out of place on the Jayhawk roster. The Stache has returned and I think it's only fitting we give the TJ Whatley Stache award to.............................If anybody finds out who it is that would be great and also very funny.

Conclusion: I am very encouraged by this win by the Jayhawks because the perception will be that the Jayhawks played very poorly. Yes, there were some spots, but besides not hitting shots, I thought everything else was run very effectively tonight. Zone defensive rebounding needs some work, but KU's man to man "D" did limit the Aggies to 35 percent shooting and 5-21 from 3 point range. I think that is a great sign what this KU team can really do. I know I grow more and more confident that this KU team can win ball games (Although Ugly) in a low scoring affair in the 50's and 60's. KU couldn't say that 5 years ago, and when KU comes across a Bo Ryun, Tony Bennett, or a princeton style offense; I think KU can "Value" possessions with the best of them. Great win Hawks!

murph 10 years, 1 month ago

What? Is this now the "KU Shaw Blog"??? I don't think so! WAY too wordy - didn't read beyond the first paragraph. I've read your stuff before, when it was of reasonable length.

markespen 10 years, 1 month ago

Sherron Collins is the most over-rated player in the country. He only has good games if he is shooting well, and he is not a very good shooter. He rarely drives to the basket (a necessary trait for a "star" point guard), he rarely drives to free up other players, and I can't remember the last time he made a defensive play. I think I screamed at Bill Self to get him out of the game for the last 15:00. Tyshon Taylor has been much more of a play-maker the past few games and has the length to be a better full-court defender.

As for Bill Self's offense, it's difficult to fathom that we have so many close, low-scoring games against teams with inferior starting talent and woefully inferior depth. KU gets into trouble because they don't dictate tempo. For Pete's sake, push the ball every time down the floor. The other team will get tired and we have the depth to stay fresh for forty minutes. KU seems content to play a half-court game that allows other teams to keep games close.

Not to Bill Self: Unleash the talent and keep Collins on the bench for longer stretches. By the way, Bobby Knight was right, Cole does miss a lot of shots inside two feet. Someone needs to remind him to play like he's the tallest and longest player on the floor (i.e., dunk the flippin' ball!). He is still not ready for the NBA as his game has not improved over last year.

getphoged 10 years, 1 month ago

Must be writing in hopes of a job, and the player with "The Stache" is Chase Buford

Chris Shaw 10 years, 1 month ago

getphoged: Don't need a job, but thanks for "The Stache" update on Buford. That is funny!

7texdude 10 years, 1 month ago

kushaw, glad you're excited, but that was a bit long.Good win Hawks! We've got a couple of guys in shooting slumps, but they'll get better. Can't shoot it much worse. I am impressed with our grit. KU grinded out a win and ended A&M's 16-game home win streak. That is impressive.

Some of our fans need to stop over thinking things and enjoy our victories. Great coaching tonight and congrats to Self and the team on another tough road win.

Warren 10 years, 1 month ago

The Big East games on a Big Monday for ESPN need to start at least 30 minutes earlier than they do now. I know Shaw and I are not the only two pissed off about missing the first few minutes of every single Big Monday 2end game, and there really is not that many people that get ESPN360.com. And that 30 minutes still wouldn't be enough if the Big East game had gone into overtime.

Mike Kendall 10 years, 1 month ago

kushaw-- Wow! What is there to say---who have said it all. Lost sleep just to read your posts but that's okay. I enjoyed reading your analysts. Being a former basketball coach, I did read past the first paragraph. I definitely agree with your "smart move on Self's part" to get Cole out of there when Collins blocked Dash's shot toward the hoop. Some folks thought that was a flagrant foul on Collins part----I did not think that at all. After the game, Self seemed fairly satisfied in the fact that the Jayhawks shot poorly and still found a way to win the game. In the end though, I can see why he is concerned if this trend of close games continue. We all know, Jayhawk Nation, that is, we have lots of big games left on the schedule, plus, the Tournament. I thought X had a good game, too. He is maturing by the minute and still see him taking over a game when someone is having an "off" night, like Collins. Overall, a good win--as a former coach, I'll take it. Coach Self and his staff will take it. Let's move on to the next game and try and get better!!! Sounds like a plan, right?

Huskerhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

KUShaw you should know that when your comments are longer than the article everyone uses their scroll button. I missed all of that.

fansincewilt 10 years, 1 month ago

I really enjoy these extra long comments. Great Job! Some are as good as the articles. I thought that 2nd half was the best defense I have ever seen in a twenty minute half. That was Kansas, the number one team in the nation, that was held to 59 overall and 29 2nd half scoring. Fortunately, they were able to contain A&M to 22 2nd half points - an amazing job by a very good defensive team. I think a major part of Bill's plan is to out muscle the opposing team and wear them down. He has the guys to do it. This is a very tough team. Xavier is learning how to get tough. It starts with Cole and Sherron. Self is an attribute to the game of basketball. That win was amazing. We should have lost that game.

yates33333 10 years, 1 month ago

Well I generally disagree with Shaw's analysis some of it is right on. They played better than you would assume by coach Self's comments. Also, A&M is playing excellent defense and has good personnel. Turgeon has instilled the Larry Brown style in them and is becoming, if not already there, a great coach. I was trying to remember if he was playing at KU when Self was there for a year. Plus, Texas players are staying in the state more than they did thus UT, A&M, Baylor have quality athletes. I like it when KU wins by 20 or more points, but this is the sort of game that prepares you for the Big Show. I just hope our luck doesn't run out on closely contested games. I still remember the trouble we had a few years back with the B's.

Where is Jaybate?

jayhawkintexas 10 years, 1 month ago

Winning ugly but still winning. These close games are giving me more gray hairs. I thought the analysis by Bob Knight was very poor and biased. Why didn't he just put on an A&M cheerleader outfit and be obvious about it? Knight and Musburger should be unbiased in their announcing, not cheering for one team over the other.

Timmay97 10 years, 1 month ago

For a guy who's been in the game of basketball forever, I can't believe Knight even made the comment that Collins shouldn't be starting the 2nd half. These are the times when I wish Knight would watch ALL of KU's games and he wouldn't be saying that. Do we really think we win the game against Cornell without Collins?

All great players have an off night. Last night was Sherron's. I guarantee you he steps it up next game. He'll get his shot back, and his decision making will be much improved.

That game last night reminded me of a lot of Big East games. It was tough, defensive minded and rugged. This just proves to me that KU can win playing ANY style. This truly is a complete team.

Ben Kane 10 years, 1 month ago

I think it's time to take a stand against all the missing of our basketball games on ESPN the question is what do we do...

Any sort of boycott would hurt us more than them as we would then be punished by not being able to see our games at all. I think EverYOne needs to write a letter to the KUAD detailing how disappointed they are in missing 20% of nearly every ball game because of this. That letter should also include that we used to be able to listen to the beginning of games on internet radio until ESPN switched over but we can't do that anymore because KUAD shut down the internet radio option.

We are being screwed over by our conference and a school that are out for the mighty buck as oppossed to the best interest of the fans. Something has to be done.

Write letters! Write to the KUAD! Write to the Big12! Write to your congressmen!

this will never end unless we do something!

DocBean 10 years, 1 month ago

KUshaw - maybe you can tell us how you thought the floor sweepers did too. jeez man, learn how to edit and maybe someone will read what you write. At least you're not as annoying as jaybate, yet.

For me this was one of those frustrating games where things don't go the way I want them to, but in the back of my head a game we would win. I never really got too nervous, but that's how I felt about the Tennessee game too.

I'm glad we pulled it out, it's one more win. With Villinova losing we're starting to get to a point where if we do drop a game, we won't fall out of the top 3. Fingers crossed for that St Louis #1 spot.

Kyle Helmer 10 years, 1 month ago

Bob Fescoe on 610 Sports is starting an online petition to get the situation with the Big 12 games starting in progress resolved. Check it out at 610sports.com.

DocBean 10 years, 1 month ago

chuckberry - I agree completely! I'm sick of EVERY "Big Monday" Big XII game getting the shaft. I think there is a petition on 610, or 810s website - I don't remember which station was talking about it this morning.

docileboy 10 years, 1 month ago

I thought Nova might make up that seven point deficit by fouling with 0.9 seconds left on the clock. It is not like these games run over on occasion. It happens every single time. It has me so ticked off I can't enjoy the game once it does come on.

DocBean 10 years, 1 month ago

Where is the online petition? The 610 website is awful.

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 1 month ago

last night was probably the worst of it...with the Big East game taking so long to end. 610 radio here in KC is making a big deal out of it, but really....what are you going to do? The Big 12 has been on Big Monday for years now...and it's always the same thing.

KU fans see it more, because we're on more times than anyone else! it is what it is. the only thing i think they can do....is start the Big East game straight up on the hour. The announcers on sportscenter would say.."we take you to UConn at Villanova....here's so and so from Philadelphia...."...and then you see the teams shaking hands at the center jump...and 20 seconds later, the game has started. that would shave off five or six minutes right there.

as for the game itself, we are REALLY hard to beat. i mean, c'mon....a record crowd...on the road....A&M, with virtually no tradition in basketball, with a pretty good team....they led throughout the 2nd half, and still couldn't win.

this is the ID of our team...we are REALLY tough to beat. that's basically it. and in our only loss, we didn't play much D....but if we D it up and rebound....it's a tough go.

and then, if we shoot it, we're basically impossible to beat. it's truly scary. this team is really not playing that well....and we're winning.

thank God, this is our last quick turnaround game on the road. we get five days to prepare for Okie St...and then we go to Missouri after our Sherron finale vs. the grapes.

11-0 in the league....congrats to Coach Self, his first time this far undefeated. Our next Big Monday game should give us a share of the league title...so there's motivation right there. We'll either clinch it outright in Stillwater, or home vs. the purples....either way it's league title number 53.

Turg, we love ya...but we had to do it last night....just beat the Longhorns when you get them there.

Ben Kane 10 years, 1 month ago

can't find the petition either. but the petition won't be enough. someone needs to get on facebook and start an uproar there as well.

DocBean 10 years, 1 month ago

Everyone needs to go on facebook and join the "I bet KU can find 100,000 fans before MU can" group.

Joe Baker 10 years, 1 month ago

Turgeon is a great coach and class act! We should be glad he gave KU a tough game. The guys need these games!!

Great game and just down right crazy to watch...but exciting!!

Has Brady Morningstar forgot how to shoot a free-throw? He looked nasty on the line late last night when he was fouled. He barely hit the front of the rim and the next shot wasn't much better.

Rock Chalk Beat CU!

tis4tim 10 years, 1 month ago

Rebounding, in my view, has been a problem all season. Either nobody gets it or three of us fight over it and kick it out of bounds. Granted, five of A&M's offensive rebounds came on one possession and when you miss 16 3--pointers, those long rebounds can go either way, but it seems we do more "tapping out" of 50/50 balls than trying to secure them.

But, tough win in a game that had all the trappings of a loss: Flat offensively, Sherron's worst game of the season, foul trouble for our bigs, and an A&M team that was ready to play.

slowplay 10 years, 1 month ago

"I can't believe Knight even made the comment that Collins shouldn't be starting the 2nd half.".... I think he was spot on. Collins needed a wake up call. I know shooters go into slumps, but when they compound that with bad passes and turnovers, you know his head is not in the game. 3 minutes on the bench would not have hurt at all. All in all, a gritty win against a good team at their place. The amazing thing is that you know this team can play even better. Let's hope we see their best during the NCAA tourney.

bradynsdad 10 years, 1 month ago

jayhawkintexas i dont think bobby knight was being bias towards a&m. i know he loves ku basketball, just like when tech plays you can hear it in his voice. he sounda bias but its the same way he used to get on his teams. he was right on in everything he said. although musburger does just kind of go along with whoever he is broadcasting with that day. i agree that games need to be alotted for extra time not one of our games has been switched over to start on time.

eastcoasthawk 10 years, 1 month ago

A great win last night, pulling it out in the final minutes when getting beat most of the game. Wow. Glad to see the boys stick together under adversity. I thought Kieff did a great job stepping up when Marcus had to sit with 3+ fouls.

KUShaw - why don't you try writing for one of the popular KU sports blogs with all your analysis?

Steve Brown 10 years, 1 month ago

Shaw: a.yes, getting CA out for the ticky tack foul payback was insightful. b. don't have to be zone fan to see it worked 2nite. correct. c. TT see below

Mark: "keep Collins on the bench for longer stretches" won't happen but you are correct.

All Stache team: Tommy Kivisto Rick Suttle who else?

Timmy yes it was like a Big East game of sorts. correct. Hey, Knight didn't say put COllins on bench forever, just rest/sit him down to gather his head...coach was right by me.

John Strayer 10 years, 1 month ago

It's not just the Big East games running long...KU's last couple of games seem to run about 15 minutes long of 2 hours...with lots of foul calls, the games just don't get done in 2 hours. ESPN really needs to plan at least 2 hours and 15 min per game probably 2 and a half hours per game. If a game completes early, then I'm sure they could fill the air with SportsCenter updates, etc.

Steve Brown 10 years, 1 month ago

Are we hurt by winning?

If we had 2-3 conf. defeats we still would have the title, get another banner/flag for AFH. (I Know we don't get banners anymore, we add the year to the one already up) We would still own #2 seed.

I see SC wearing down and wonder if we are using all our ammunition trying to go undefeated in the conf. and will be shot after the Sprint Center series..I realzie this is not logical as yes, we want to win every game but too many more games like this one and the ones that went OT and I'm concerned if we will be healthy for March.

Couiple years ago the Final Four was 4 #1 seeds, not likely this year. I hope we are the token #1 seed in Indy, yet fear we won't be fresh enough to get there.

recall Jerod Hasse broken wrist. Recall Nick & Kirk team beat up by Big 12 tourney. I'm not saying lose or not give full effort, just wondering if we are shooting all our bullets in the regular season, Hope I'm wrong.

Brandon Hull 10 years, 1 month ago

The essay-like comments by kushaw and jaybate feel like some odd way of hijacking the rest of the comments that follow theirs. Instead of giving anybody a chance at an original thought or analysis, you effectively steal the first word on any topic -- any player's game, any coaching move. I don't know if it's with some egotistical hope that all comments ultimately point back to yours or if you really feel your opinions -- every last one of them -- must be heard.

But it's one thing to talk to a friend or co-worker about the game and one guy has more basketball-smarts than the other; it's another when one guy simply does all the talking. Thankfully we can skim or ignore the multiple-paragraph, multiple-posts-in-a-row comments and fight that monologues.

Go to bleacherreport.com and write if you really need to go on and on like that. Just because you can post these long essays doesn't mean you should.

VegasJhawk09 10 years, 1 month ago

I had to work last night... I dvr'd the game and I cant wait to watch it later!! Thanks Kushaw for the awesome post. I also feel great about this team! KU will definitely make the final four this year, beyond that I am too superstitious to speculate. :)

Steve Brown 10 years, 1 month ago

Taylor is our key:

I posted few days ago that seeing signs of TT playing better that if he brings his A game (okay B+ may be all he has) but if/when TT brings game we are unbeatable. He is the variable.

You guys scoffed at me.

We know what other guys will give us. As TT continues to limit Turn Overs, make crisp assists and play tough D, then we are unbeatable. A&M confirms it.

Taylor bing it, you've got game and I'm being converted, I"m officially off your back, bring your game, your fellow teamates and JHnation are counting on you to perform. HCBS would not play you if you didn't have the talent, ability to contribute at high level.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 1 month ago

Well, I am glad individuals are focusing on the "Length" of my post rather than calling out the poster (Markespen) who thinks Sherron Collins is the most overrated player in the country?

Docbean: I thought floor sweepers, being as young as they were, did quite well last night, but nobody will ever be as good as Cole Aldrich. That guy can do it all.

Lighthawk: KU is not hurt by winning IMO at all. The only problem is the potential "Letdown" if or should it happen in the NCAA tournament prior to the NCAA Final 4. Even before the season started, I felt anything less than Final 4 would be a disappointment, but all the winning could add to the drama should the Jayhawks fall short.

huskerhawk: Good thing we have free speech, huh? Good thing Mikendal read portions of it.

mikendal: Thanks! What level did you Coach?

EastCoasthawk: All I do is copy and paste onto here so it takes like 2 minutes. Not a big deal.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 1 month ago

Brandoh: So, you're saying my analysis was "Spot on"? Thank you! I guess nobody else has an opinion or thought and I can speak for everyone. LOL! So, do you have one thought about the game or do you curl up into a fetal position when someone says "Offensive Rebound"?

Since this was the first time I've posted first all year in an article I may make sure that I'm around tenth next time.

oldhawk74 10 years, 1 month ago

I feel if they don't calm down and play ball like they have been trained to do they will never beat the likes of UK. If they reach that far. It is time for Self to work on that. We will see when K State comes to the Fog.

Steve Gantz 10 years, 1 month ago

"The essay-like comments by kushaw and jaybate feel like some odd way of hijacking the rest of the comments that follow theirs. Instead of giving anybody a chance at an original thought or analysis, you effectively steal the first word on any topic -- any player's game, any coaching move." My goodness people, you act like KUshaw is forcing you at gunpoint to read his thing. I don't read it either, but I don't get mad about it like some of you. If he (she?) posts first, so what? He got there 1st. As for the game, the great defense we've always had under Self won this game for us. Keep rollin to that NC!

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 1 month ago

Don't pick on Shaw. At least his analyses stick to the subject. He doesn't "wax poetic" as another famous analysist sometimes does on here.

John Brown 10 years, 1 month ago

I don't know about the Luck bucket thing. Winning close games is about composure. What I see is that Self has a plan and these kids believe in their coach. So they don't fall apart when the game is on the line. In the high school game, these kids were the plan. Give this kid the ball and everyone else get out of the way. Now it's the Big-12 and Self tells these same kids that we do it with Defense. And they buy in and it works!

Chris Shaw 10 years, 1 month ago

Jbrown: Well said! The last 5 minutes was indicative of that.

jhwkswn 10 years, 1 month ago

I like your posts, KUShaw. I like Jaybate's, too. You are good, knowledgeable fans. Keep 'em comin!

Chris Nieto 10 years, 1 month ago

if it hasn't been answered yet the guy with the 'stache is Chase Buford

mandomax 10 years, 1 month ago

I don't mind kushaw's posts, but I can't stand his/her blatant abuse of quotation marks. This abuse has been going on for years now. I can just visualize him/her making "air quotation marks" with his/her fingers when (s)he speaks, which is a huge "pet peeve" of mine.

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

Lighthawk - I agree with Shaw in that winning is not hurting us. The only way winning hurts is if you allow it to mask your flaws, and there is no way HCBS will not find the flaws and work them out in practice. Being in several close games, being down and playing from behind to teams, it is not ideal, but it does develop poise. This team will not be rattled come tourney time if they find themselves down in the second half. They won't start jacking up unnecessary threes or start pressing to do more than they should. And unlike last year and perhaps earlier this year, the team won't look like a deer in the headlights if Sherron is having an off night. In my estimation we have played 7 "tough" games, games where the outcome was still undecided in the final minutes. Memphis, Cornell, Tennessee, Baylor, Kansas St., Colorado, and now A&M. Sherron has played well in 4 of those games, but against Tennessee, Colorado, & A&M he has played relatively poor, and we've won 2 out of 3 of those games.

Regarding Sherron, while Markespan's comments were utterly ridiculous, Sherron has not been playing his best ball in conference play. 36.7 FG% & 33.3% 3P% once Big 12 play started. 46 assists to 26 turnovers, not horrible, but not even at a 2:1 clip like you'd like. Last night was his worst performance, and hopefully that's rock bottom and he can now begin his ascent. We've seen X, Cole, & Tyshawn all go into slumps this season, and Sherron seems to be in one now. Given how the others have bounced back I'm confident Sherron will too, and when that happens this team will hit another gear that we have yet to see.

And to those of you who are frustrated by Big East games running long and delaying the switch to our games, I share your frustration. However, if you want to watch the game from the start all of the Big Monday games have been on espn360, so you can watch online until the television coverage switches over. Not ideal, but at least you won't miss the first few minutes.

ku_foaf 10 years, 1 month ago

I was at the game, and what really stuck out was Collin's very uncharacteristic turnovers and losing control of the ball. Ah well, he's been incredible and saved us so many times, stats have to catch up eventually.

brooksmd 10 years, 1 month ago

kushaw I too am amazed that while many are disturbed about the length of your posts, nobody seemed to be upset with the post by Markespen. I enjoyed your analysis. I also enjoy the lengthy posts by Jaybate. I have found that if I don't care to read something, I have this button on my keyboard that allows me to scroll past it. Much like if I don't like what's on one channel I have the option of changing channels or turning the tv off. ta-da!! What a unique concept.

David Leathers 10 years, 1 month ago

KUShaw - Honestly, I stopped reading after your second post as I should have been diagnosed with ADHD. With that said, I agree with you 100%. I only watched the game once and beforehand, knew that this game would be a close, down to the wire type of game.

I have followed Turgeon since he was tearing up the Missouri Valley Conf. at Wichita St. He's a great coach and when we lost those two first round games in a row I was pissed off that we didn't hire him. Obviously, my opinion of HCBS has changed and I couldn't be happier.

Great analysis KUShaw. Keep up the good work.

bradynsdad 10 years, 1 month ago

it was nice to see robinson play last night, i am glad the concussion wasnt that bad. however i couldnt help notice e.j. was really the only guy not to get at least a minute of p.t. i dont feel this is something he has done wrong. i think as tournament time gets closer you have to have a solid line up and yes you can play too many players. if a player cant get into a groove the your just wasting them.

Steve Gantz 10 years, 1 month ago

There was one key play that the announcers didn't even make note of, nor did the KU fans on the live feed notice. (except me!) The Jayhawks were down by 2 or 4, and Aldrich got bogged down in the lane and lost the ball. A @ M recovered and took off on a fast break. The Aggie went up for a dunk and out of no where was Aldrich who swatted the ball into the corner, which I think KU recovered. With our struggles to score, another two points for TAM may have been too much to overcome.

I was reminded of it watching sportscenter this morning. They didn't show any KU made baskets except Collins fast break, but showed lots of our defensive plays.

If we win a game scoring 95, we (me too) will just go on and on about how great our team is. It's exciting seeing them score so many points and all the players become superstars in our mind.

If we win like last night, not many get too excited by the outstanding defense that was demonstrated. It's too bad because we tend to say "what's wrong with us?", and say dumb things like I did last night "we're a topranked team?" There's a lot of ways to win a game and Aldrich's play demonstrated why this is such a great team.

DoubleDD 10 years, 1 month ago

I know that big 12 games can run a little long sometimes becuase of the game coming down to the wire, but its just crazy what they do in the big east. I mean I've seen games where one team will be down by 18 points with 2 minutes left on the clock and their fouling and calling timeouts. I'm all for using every minute in a game situation to teach the players but sometimes you're just dragging the game out for no reason. Take last nights game between UConn and Vill for instance. I'm watching the clock wind down getting ready for the KU game. It's moving pretty good and UConn has the game under control looks like I might get to catch the tip off the delayed KU game. Wrong. Wrong and Wrong. Clock gets to about minute and a half with UConn up by 9 or so and 30 minutes later UConn wins by 9 or so. While the Jayhawk nation misses 6 to 7 minutes of the KU game. How in the world does it take 30 mins to run off a measley 1 and half minutes in game that wasn't really that close?????

Anyways enough ranting KU played another good game on the road. I thought for sure they were going to lose the game. Yet they pulled out another road game. I just wonder if this team is tired or something. To never second guess Self but with all the close games KU has played here lately I'm wondering if he should go deeper into the bench? I just seems to me KU holds serve for most of the game in then bam, close the game on a tear. Which is great the mark of a true champion, but we can't keep taking games down to the wire and expect to win. At some point our lady luck will run out on us. Playing close games makes you battle tested, but you have be to blow people out every once in awhile.

Brandon Hull 10 years, 1 month ago

wissoxfan83 and kushaw,

I'm not "mad" and I don't feel I'm held at "gunpoint" to read anyone's comments -- in fact, that was my point, I don't read them, I skim them. I took 2 minutes to add my own comment about how I think people should take it easy on the essays. It's not the end of the world and I'm not calling out kusports.com to create a rule or some nonsense. I just think it's an odd behavioral thing -- totally separate from the content of the opinions/comments -- to write such long posts.

Heaven forbid you guys philosophizing about the the game -- giving YOUR feedback on the players, what the coach is thinking, etc. -- but someone gives YOU feedback about your posts and all hell breaks loose. Geesh, lighten up, guys.

As for the game, I said it briefly elsewhere, I love games like this during the season. Far better preparation for the second weekend of the tournament and beyond than a blowout will ever be. And if I remember correctly, everyone worried about being overly reliant upon Sherron at this time last year. We can absorb a bad game from him much more easily.

Timmay97 10 years, 1 month ago

Here's an idea of speeding up ALL college basketball games.......eliminate some of the "time-outs." I get annoyed when a team is down by 10 with 1:30 left and then hits a 3 pointer and immediately calls a timeout. I feel they have an unlimited supply.

I can understand the fouling at the end of games in hopes of the comeback, but the timeouts drive me freakin' nuts!

The Big 12 gets the shaft too based on the style of play in the Big East. They are long games that are physical. Therefore, both teams will always spend time on the free throw line. The clock never seems to move.

My vote.......just let Rutgers play every Monday game against anyone in the Big East so they can be blowouts and the game finished promptly.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 1 month ago

wissoxfan: If you would have taken the time to read my post you would have realized that you were the second person to recognize that play. LOL!

Chris Shaw 10 years, 1 month ago

wissoxfan: By the way, I agree with you about the differences of the high scoring and low scoring games of KU. Most will assume there is something wrong if KU only scores in the 50's and 60's. I agree with you.

Steve Gantz 10 years, 1 month ago

KUshaw, I'm off for Mardi Gras here in Louisiana, so actually read two of them! Usually time keeps me from reading them!
I'll have to say your posts are at least intelligent. I get tired of the "This team sucks" or "bballfan your an idot" type of lunacy that I see on so many of these pages.

JHWK 10 years, 1 month ago

Nice summations, poster-brethren.

Of course, Knight and Self aren't going to treat a SC-type guard the same - nor will they treat the players, recruits, alumni, students or anyone else the same. They are different coaches, and I'll take HCBS, thanks. I admit, I was with The General, frustrated with SC like many were when he forgot he wasn't playing in highschool, and made bone-headed plays. But, Self has repeatedly said, 'This is Sherron's team.' He won't bench him to start a half.

While many of you have calmed my X frustration, I do think he should have sat more. TT stepped up (at last!) on Sloan, MkM had a great game (before his foul woes), Reed was money, and others on the bench (Withey, Robinson, EJ) could have contributed fresh legs more. Still, I'm not driving this bus (can we all say 'Amen!'?) so I will defer to HCBS.

Winning is not a bad thing. Down 3 late, playing like CRAP, and we find a way out?! That is amazing. If that happens in March or April, we have a history of locking down, even if shots aren't falling, we're stopping theirs, or forcing them to make bad decisions.

Cole said our rebounding was on the bigs. Let's hope he finds his mojo from here on out, b/c I thought he took some steps back last night. Lead, Cole. That's what you need to do when McM is on he bench due to some punk-ass calls by the refs. And, yes, that no-call was clearly a charge. Good thing there's not a blog for bad refs, or the internet would be over-whelmed.

Rock Chalk!

milehighhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

You know what I wish KUShaw & Jaybate would do?

Keep long-a$$ comments for your own blog. Comment here if you want, and provide a hyperlink to your KU Sports blog.

Thanks,

--Rest of KUSports.com community

AsadZ 10 years, 1 month ago

brandonh: There are several KU fans, myself included, who like KUShaw and Jaybate posts. So what if they are long and essay types? They are KU fans and this is a medium to write. They are both knowlegeable and their posts are well written.

If you do not like their posts you dont have to read them but please do not write comments that appear to be insulting.

Eric Schneider 10 years, 1 month ago

KUShaw, a little too long winded, but you got one thing right that a lot of people missed. 'kieff was awesome last night. He kept us in striking distance with his play early in the second half. His energy and decision making were incredible on a night when his brother got some really questionable calls against him.

In fact that may have been one of the worst officiated games I've seen this season. The only good news is that it went both ways.

Jim Darnall 10 years, 1 month ago

kushaw You are just a bit too wordy for me. I get tired quick trying to read all that stuff. I just like the bottom line info. Whether you all like it or not Bobby Knight was more right than worng. A&M played their best game and accept for the last 4 minutes, they made us look pretty ugly. We didn't play like a #1 team and Collins was very poor as the senior leader and an all american candidate.I believe it is called focus. All I know is in the next few weeks coach better get them to focus better. IF not those 2 wins, 6 loss teams are going to jump up and kick our you know whats.

HawkMuseum09 10 years, 1 month ago

<<<<Hey all, check out my KU museum. I have more pictures if anyone else is interested. It has become a hobby. My prize possession is Russell Robinson's authographed shoe! Let me know what you all think!

Jim Pendleton 10 years, 1 month ago

That's the point kushaw, no one has the time, or wants to take the time, to read that much info from one person. This is a comment board, not a commentsssssssssss (err, life story) board. Make your points and move on. I do think you and jaybate have many great things to say, but as they say on NFL Countdown - CMON MAN!!!

No need to summarize most of what has already been said. I was not optimistic most of the night, but we got the Aggies to take a number of bad shots at the end, and we made enough plays to get the W, which is most important. The defense played very well most of the night.

I agree with those who are worried about the minutes some are playing. I have said this after a number of games recently. While it is good to keep your rotation to somewhat of a minimum, a lot of these guys need to be rested some, and not be playing 35-38 minutes every game. I am very concerned that some of these guys will be wiped out come tourney time. Big 12 more of an issue as you have three straight days of games. At least you have a day off during NCAA weekends.

Think we all thought the NU & ISU games would be a chance for that to happen, and get others some time on the court. The experience will help down the line, and you never know when they might be needed in a key moment down the stretch. Hopefully the next couple games at home will allow us that opportunity. Rock Chalk!!

kansasYEA 10 years, 1 month ago

while i do agree with bobby knight on a lot of his negative commentary (ie, cole missing close shots, players making defensive mistakes, etc), he was outrageously negative towards KU! I had to mute him after a while. just a negative droning voice. he was negative towards a&m too, but nothing like with us. ive noticed this in the past, too... i think he's got some grudge against kansas. i just cant stand it. and if he does say something positive, it's bregrudgingly.. and rare. i mean come on, we're the #1 team in the nation, we have great players (yeah, they make some mistakes), cant you think of something positive to say every once and a while???

Bruce Brock 10 years, 1 month ago

On another topic:

KU's all-time wins total of 1995 is now only three games behind UNC's 1998. The way the 'Heels are struggling, the 'Hawks could actually get to 2000 first. That seemed impossible before the season began.

Although I generally root for UNC (I just don't understand the Roy haters out there) I would love to see KU get five wins before UNC gets two. This would likely require that we run the table in the Big XII. UNC's remaining schedule is: at Geo Tech, at BC, home vs. FSU, at Wake, home vs. Miami, and at Duke. In the ACC, their record is 3-7 overall, 1-3 on the road.

Though uncharitable toward a sibling program, root against the Tarheels.

gardenjay 10 years, 1 month ago

It would be more fun to all be in a coffee shop with laptops, and if we didn't like what someone was posting, or if they ran on too much in our view, we could just call over to them, 'Hey, enough already!'. The trend towards removal of non-verbal communication in our current society is just wrong, wrong, wrong.

Brandon Hull 10 years, 1 month ago

Hey gardenjay, that's a whole other interesting sociological comment!

Re: getting to 2,000 before UNC, I actually couldn't care less about that. But surpassing UNC in general, I'd love to see. Whether that happens this year (do tourney games count?) or right at the beginning of next year, don't really care about that either. How great would it be to surpass one of the media darlings, though?

Re: minutes played, I'm a little concerned Robinson and Withey haven't gotten more playing time. You can work in post players without utterly disrupting your offense, especially if you're just looking for fouls to give away in the physical games. On the other hand I think it's apparent that Elijah is a next-year guy; you don't suddenly start playing a guy whom you'd count on to run your offense with any amount of chemistry. Plus, they say the NCAAs are a guard-dependent time of the year. If that's true, we're probably well taken care of in that department.

NebraskaJayhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

Can someone tell me why Tyshawn is on the court at all? He looks like a chicken with his head cut off out there most of the time. I'm ready to see Elijah Johnson take his place in the rotation. I thought Tyshawn would develop into a RusRob type defender that could shoot the rock a little bit. Yes, he is extremely athletic which allows him to make some plays most guys cannot, but he rarely plays within himself and has not learned to play defense in my opinion. Boo me if you want, but I don't think I'm alone in this thinking. Give Johnson a chance to put in some serious minutes or give Reed more playing time.

What's happening to Morningstar? His confidence looks about as strong as my 12 year old. I might have to erase my name from the Brady Brigade if he doesn't start stepping up again.

We continue to need go-to-guys to step up besides Sherron. A game like that in the tourney and we could be ousted early.

lol Now that all the negative is out...way to fight for another ugly win.

bg97 10 years, 1 month ago

Shaw-

Pony up $10/year for your own website. Really, it's pretty cheap.

Then we can all come visit your site when we actually give two cents about your 8,000 word opinion. In the meantime, we'lll all continue to ward off carpel tunnel scrolling through your postings.

To quote Bill Self prior to the title game in 08'; "thank you in advance"

Chris Shaw 10 years, 1 month ago

bg97: No need to when this free. Got to watch your bottom line in this economy.

MGJayhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

kushaw - Your posts are too long, you use to many quotations, and you "LOL!" yourself way too much. How old are you? Are you a high school girl texting her "bff" about her sweet sixteen party? Reading your posts is painful most of the time.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 1 month ago

MGJayhawk: That's why you spend more time commenting about me than you do anything about the Hawks. Just change your name to "kushawhater". That would be sufficient since you spend zero time talking about anything other than me. Should I be concerned about you stalking me?

Now back to the greatest game ever invented................Basketball!

P1ST0LPETE 10 years, 1 month ago

kushaw: "No need to when this free. Got to watch your bottom line in this economy"

Actually, what you need is a blog, not a website, and you can put up a nice blog for free. You've got some good insight, but people including myself are getting annoyed with the multiple essay posts. Here's and idea: Make that blog, put your essay posts on your blog, and then come here and leave a nice 1-2 line post saying, "here's a link to my essay analysis: http://www.myblog.com". That way people who want to read your stuff can, and those who don't aren't bothered by your lengthy remarks. Also, since the economy is so rough for you, you could actually put google Adsense on your page and possibly make some extra doe.

MGJayhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

kushaw - HAHA, true that, true that. It's all love kushaw. Just try to keep your ANALysis to a few paragraphs. I think we would all appreciate it.

No I will not stalk you. I WILL, however, dunk on you.

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

NebraskaJayhawk - I understand some fans dislike of TT and choosing to pile on the guy, but atleast wait for an appropriate time. Look at the guy's line in 22 minutes last night. 2-4 FG (0-2 from 3), 3 reb, 2 ast, 1 stl, 1 blk, 1 TO. And, like most of the 'hawks, he played really good defense. Sure that's not an eye-popping game, but its solid, and certainly if you feel the need to tear down someone there are other players who definitely played worse.

GilbertAZ 10 years, 1 month ago

kushaw - First of all, I didn't read more then ten words of your 20 or so million comments. I don't need to. I already know that you think you are the smartest basketball mind that has ever lived, and while I would like nothing better then for you to explain every detail, of every second, of every game, to me, I think I'll pass....Oh I almost forgot, lol

Kye Clark 10 years, 1 month ago

I don't mind kushaws posts in and of themselves. The problem is that it has taken over discussion on this board.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 1 month ago

brandonh, murph, Huskerhawk, DocBean..one word...Haiti...get upset about something that matters and just enjoy the rest.

You don't have to smell all the flowers along the journey but don't skip them all either.

We're all Hawks here!!

Chris Shaw 10 years, 1 month ago

icthawkfan: I'm really just trying to take all the heat off of Bedore and Keegan.

pistolpete: thanks for the advice, but I'll stick to this. Scrolling takes less time than people actually creating a post so that's on them not me. I am not the problem here.

MGJayhawk: We can play anytime you want. I am getting older and my step is getting slower, but nothing to keep myself from embarassing you on a basketball court. This is all friendly trash talking by the way. Good fun? Yes!

dihrdhwk: thanks

Gilbertaz: LOL! read my response to pistolpete above. Wait, you don't have the time to read.

Keckadek 10 years, 1 month ago

Kushaw, are you kidding me with all that?

k.i.s.s. (keep it simple stupid)

:-)

Chris Shaw 10 years, 1 month ago

Anyway, I think it's nice KU has some time to rest up the rest of the week before two home games against Colorado (Saturday) and OU (Monday). These next two weeks regardless of "W's" and "L's" should be a good break before heading on the road to Okie State a week from this Saturday.

For those worried about Collins being tired, this is a good time to get patched-up before the beginning run in March.

MGJayhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

Anyone hear if Selby is still considering KU? I hear we are his #1 right now, but I can see Kentucky sweeping in. I like that Brandon Knight kid. Him and X on the same court is straight dangerous...

Chris Shaw 10 years, 1 month ago

Go to Gary Bedore's Game Notebook article. There is a link to zagsblog.com talking about Selby's Final 4 school list.

Also, there was an article yesterday on theshiver.com that was a really good read about his weekend visit.

DDSF 10 years, 1 month ago

I think that it is time that we seriously start looking at Marcus Morris as the team MVP. The games that he has not been too much of a presence have resulted in a ton of close games.

Tennessee: 5 points, 3 rebounds Cornell: 1 point, 2 rebounds Memphis: 10 points, 1 rebound UCLA (a game we did not play that well in): 4 points, 9 rebounds

We don't beat Kstate (13, 10) or Baylor(22, 8) without good performances from McMorris and he may have won the game with his 4 rebound possesion in OT against Colorado.

We don't win last night if he does not play smart down the strech with 4 fouls and nail some clutch free throws.

I'm not saying I'm sold yet, just something that we are going to have to seriosly consider. Cole's defense speaks for itself and we probably have a couple wins (say Cornell) just becauser Collins decided that it was his team and he was not going to let us lose.

focojayhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

hey everybody. I read these posts every day, many times a day, but rarely post myself. I just want to say I couldn't be any more proud of the hawks this year. Anyway, if any of you have a few minutes, check this link out. VERY interesting.

ginger2015 10 years, 1 month ago

Nebraska- You're just a hater (for whatever reason) pure and simple. You obviously didn't pay any attention to the defense TT played on Sloan last night...outstanding.

BCRavenJHawkfan 10 years, 1 month ago

It would be nice to see some really good offensive games to close out the regular season. Winning these close ones is great, and shows the team they can win with defense. But, close games, just like 6 foot putts and dogs chasing cars, eventually get you.

jhokfan 10 years, 1 month ago

Missed the game. Can I get an unbiased opinion on the goaltending call. Could not tell on the replay but announcer thought it was a bad call. Looked like a crucial turning point in the game.

lv_jhwk 10 years, 1 month ago

Wow, do many of the KUShaw haters realize they wasted more time typing their retorts than if they would have actually read through the post?! I too think the posts get a bit long-winded, but if KUShaw (among others) feels that invested than who are we to stop him? There is a scroll bar for a reason.

If anything, I'm more annoyed that the many derogatory comments made it so much more difficult to find the actual posts with commentary and analysis, which is why I come here.

Theutus 10 years, 1 month ago

Much agreed lv_jhwk.

I disagree with Jaybate all the time, but some of his short to the point posts are spot-on....

That being said, pretty much anyone that types up more than a paragraph gets scrolled past. Especially when people start trying to be clever with the dictionary etc.

It's simple really, just keep scrolling and ignore the posts. Works for me. Oh and jhokfan, the goaltending call was a bad call. Terrible actually. That being said, the bad officiating was consistent on both ends of the court. That call didn't change much.

Theutus 10 years, 1 month ago

Correction i meant "hanging on the goal" not goal tending... Whatever that technical is called.

Mike Kendall 10 years, 1 month ago

86finalfour---Wow!!! I kind of like Bob Knight on ESPN. Brent is little goofy but Knight has great knowledge. Sorry, I will NOT be signing the petition.

Chuckberry32---I did sign the petition for ESPN televising the complete Big 12 game after the Big East games are basically over. Thanks for the link--hope it moves mountains.

kushaw--I often say, Things could be worse--your posts could be from "kentuckyRifle" or "TheCrow," which are two of many infamous Kentucky Wildcat posters who have way too much time on their hands. I like reading your posts--keep them coming. Folks, it's like the TV--don't like the channel, change it. In this case, just scroll down. I thought you did okay today. There are going to be critics no matter what you do in life.

kushaw--you asked what level I coached? High School and Middle School. HS for two years and Middle School for 10 years. I have played on the High School level for two years. One is always learning the game because the game is always evolving. Again, love the posts. If I disagree, I'll let you know!!!

Mike Kendall 10 years, 1 month ago

BTW, boys & girls, ladies and gentlemen----KENTUCKY IS GOING DOWN!!!!!!!!!!! If it doesn't happen tonight, it will at Tennessee, Vandy or Georgia---I just know it will.

BeakofLight 10 years, 1 month ago

bwahahaha...hilarious that people feel compelled to go after kushaw...i agree with the poster who stated the fact that there is - wait for it - this fancy little thing called a scroll button one may so chose to employ if they are compelled to do so...hilarious

...personally i rather enjoy reading shaw's analysis...its at least relevant and timely...concise??? no, but once again there is that little scroll button thingy (GASP!)...

...anywho, one major thing i took from the game last night is the fact that marcus IS our X-factor when march 18 rolls around...we seem to struggle with continuity on both ends when he is saddled with foul trouble

bradynsdad 10 years, 1 month ago

wow some of the post going back and forth about the posting has me in tears, i think it is hilarious. although i have to agree with brandon a little bit that evryone can talk bad about self and the team but when it comes to shortening posts all you know what breaks loose.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 1 month ago

drgnsalyr..oh crap, does this mean I can't post anymore haikus??!!

drgnslayr says

no more haikus Oakville J

my chakra will weep.

:{

BeakofLight 10 years, 1 month ago

...oh yes, one more thing...i knew we'd be getting our fair share of games like this when self was brought aboard...

...it excited me...

why???

...it is these type of games that bill self coached teams thrive in...

...i love and miss roy, however, i was glad to see him go as i certainly dont miss the, 'oh god, i just got kicked in the balls' look that roy seemed to have permantly etched on his face when teams made him grind it out...

...games like this are more frequent than not in the big show, and bill self's squads always seem to come out on the winning end...

...great preperation for the dance last night...

...we found a way

AsadZ 10 years, 1 month ago

Nebraska, TT had a solid game. As a matter of fact he has played quite well over the last few games. We as fans have a habit of only zooming in on only bad plays made by players for which there are past notions. Many fans are upset with TT due to his off the court stuff but really look at the game closely and you will see he is doing a good job. Every player makes mistakes, look at how many have been made by Sherron, X and others over the last few games. But if you like these players and if you do not have pre-conceived notions you will not remember the bad plays. Self has done a good job with TT and he is delivering.

Jack Wilson 10 years, 1 month ago

TT did have a good game (holy c***, did I say that?). That full-court take to the hoop was pretty .. reminded me of the 08 group a bit, and a little Hinrich-esque.

Anyway, is anybody concerned that come tournament time, when we draw a Big East or SEC ref, that Cole might get whistled for a few b.s. calls on his block attempts? While I love his shot-blocking, I think we are likely to get some calls that get him into trouble quick. If I'm an opposing coach, that would be my strategy from the get-go. We had too many time when the offensive player got to Cole, by getting around his original defender last night.

Not to whine, but man, did the Morris twins get some touch fouls called on them last night. The wouldn't let them even stop the back down. Again, proud the Morris twins aren't complaining like they did last year .. no flopping arms, etc.

Anyone think Markieff is getting ready to bust out? Lots of signs. Very instinctive rebounder. Very under control. That being said, who was born first, Marcus or Markieff? If it was Marcus, that might explain it .. Markieff being a bit behind and all.

Finally, as for KUShaw's massive commentary, and others like Jaybate, just enjoy the passion. If you don't want to read it, don't read it. Pure passion for the hawks, baby, and that's a good thing.

kualuminohio 10 years, 1 month ago

KUShaw: You watched the game 3 times... And then wrote a dissertation, did you get an A... Good grief...

Anyway, we should all be very pleased with the Jayhawks. I hope we are ready for the tournament, hopefully a little more consistent, to much of a roller coaster ride this season for the level of tallent on the team... Go Jayhawks...

kualuminohio 10 years, 1 month ago

Oh and man the morris twins are incredible this year, would have never dreamt it last year...

GilbertAZ 10 years, 1 month ago

Hey kushaw, just woke up from my nap. Sorry I worked all night, but such is life. I started to read your brilliant posts from earlier today but went into a coma. Keep up the great reporting.

JayhawkBigXII 10 years, 1 month ago

I like Bobby Knight doing the KU games. He bags on them like you or I do except with lighter language, while most of us are screaming WTF?!? He has an interesting take, even though I don't agree with all he says. I can appriciate his angle because he was a successful NCAA coach...and he HATES Calipari, won't even set foot in Rupp Arena while Cal is there. One guy that drives me up the wall though, is Dicky V and his diaper dandy Bullschlitz. He sounds like a horsefly constantly droneing around your head. Need to swat him.

phoginnebr 10 years, 1 month ago

Well, I guess we can win the close ones but, I am waiting for a games where KU puts it away. They are getting there but, its slow. I am glad they put it to Nebraska. What a mess NU has with Doc. I think they are ready to fired him. It won't be long. Only problem is who are they going to get to take his place? Funny.

Mike Kendall 10 years, 1 month ago

JayhawkBigXII--- RE: Dickie V----When he first started out, I liked Dick Vitale a lot. Always thought he told a good story. When I got the chance to hear him speak in person in November 1998, I was a kid in a candy store!!! However, he has become hard to listen to of late. I don't know if it was North Carolina winning it last year but you can tell just the way he talks, he favors the ACC. It has turned me off and it is too bad because he came from a blue-collar hard-working family. I believe his dad worked in a coal mine and developed cancer and later passed away. So, I have always had a soft side to Vitale because of his dad. But like I said, lately, he has been like a horsefly constantly flying around your head. You know Billy Packer was ACC biased and ultimately that was his downfall. Vitale is heading that direction but of course, I don't think anything will happen to him.

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

I would like to order either long posts with short words but many prepositional phrases, or short posts with bigger words and poor grammar. Just a thing I enjoy.

Anyone besides me see X as afraid of contact by the way he leads with his knee as he goes up in traffic?

Mike Kendall 10 years, 1 month ago

FairgroveJayhawk--- I really didn't notice X afraid of contact by leading with the knee---I need to pay more attention to that. I think X has steadily improved, especially the last three games. His shot is so smooth when he sets his feet and goes forward with his shot.

Clydecito 10 years, 1 month ago

just wonderin what KUshaw thought about the game....

Steve Brown 10 years, 1 month ago

IF you are on line now turn on the KY Miss St. game in overtime....

KU08 10 years, 1 month ago

The refs sure seem to want a KY win.

KUGreenMachine 10 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, I went and read the Kentucky boards...They're claiming Big XII refs are cheating to keep us #1....anyone watch the end of the Kentucky Miss st game???....phantom calls and no calls, phantom non goaltending calls (two of them)....what a joke...the refs are giving the game to KY.

KU08 10 years, 1 month ago

I can't believe how bad the SEC is. After KY and TN, there's nothing. I don't think Vanderbilt would even finish 0.500 in the Big 12 conference.

Wow, Miss St. fans are really dumb.

okiedave 10 years, 1 month ago

Agree with the above posts. M.S. coach should send game film to SEC. Refs were clearly favoring wildcats tonight.

okiedave 10 years, 1 month ago

Kentucky was clearly the better team. I think refs sometimes tend to help the better team win -- human nature to award the prize to the better team.

KU08 10 years, 1 month ago

If the game film went to the SEC, all that would happen is Miss St. would be fined for having the world's dumbest fans. Calipari looked literally scared for his team and himself after that game. And what's with Sportscenter getting so excited about students calling D. Cousins' cell phone before the game? Doesn't that happen every year to KU players, coaches, and their families at all hours of the night in the days leading up to the Mizzou game in Columbia?

I probably didn't pay close enough attention during the game to really know if the refs sided with UK. It just seemed like every foul towards the end went UK's way. Wall could have his breath touched during a shot and draw a foul.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 1 month ago

Why would our conference refs care if we or any other team is ranked at any position? And, how could they influence a conference team to ascend to the top spot by cheating while officiating a game? Such garbage from those KY clones!

Brandon Hull 10 years, 1 month ago

KUGreenMachine,

Yeah, it's pretty comical. If you go to the specific link that focojayhawk gave to a post at rivals.com, all of their arguments could easily be used with their game tonight with Mississippi State -- the foul count, the fouls at the end of regulation and/or OT, the quality of the opponent that nearly took them down. It is COMICAL.

The generous side of me just wants to say that the refs do the best they can, and good teams are more adept and drawing fouls than mediocre and bad teams, especially when the game is really on the line. But even if that's completely wrong, UK got exactly the same dose of favoritism that they think KU gets and got against TA&M.

Of course, their fans won't see it that way at all. They fought back...they showed grit...they wanted it more...they won't be denied this year...

jaybate 10 years, 1 month ago

"Some zingers kushaw might say were he as rude as jaybate:"

icthawkfan316,

I don't mind you not minding my posts in and of themselves. The problem is that they keep persons from paying attention to your condescending gargles pretending to be posts about sports.

P1ST0LPETE,

Actually, what you need to do is stop thinking people care what you think they need. Most sane people only find you slightly more evolved than a round worm.

bhann,

Stop pretending to be inconsequential. Everyone knows its not an act.

milehighhawk,

You prove yet again that dullness and lack of insight are complementary in the truly boring and that both should be quarantined to your empty brain case.

DocBean,

Maybe you can can find your pea-sized intellect with both hands, while typing, but jeez, you astringent fop, you make it seem improbable. Now, bend over your monitor and learn how to read something more complex than Google ads, before you open your mouth and make yourself a prima facie case for eugenics yet again. Every time you post you make that annoying jaybate seem like a rocket scientist from JPL.

Huskerhawk,

You should know that you are not a bellweather indicator of reader behavior (no one is) and leave it at that. Lots of board rats read me. Lots of board rats scroll down through the dessicated posts on this board like men in a desert searching for water, and consider my posts a digital oasis in an iSahara. I know Bill Self, Joe Dooley and Chancellor Gray-Little read my posts regularly. I am told only Ed Gein reads yours.

jaybate 10 years, 1 month ago

murph,

I read your 32 word post just after my treatise. Thanks for making me look so good in contrast. But still way too wordy! If you could have avoided the 32 words entirely, it would have been about perfect. You don't have a way with words. You don't have a way with thinking. You don't have a way with insight into the game. You don't have a way with women. I am puzzled how you have learned to operate a PC without the aid of measurable IQ. How about if you hit yourself in the head with a rubber hammer long enough that you forget how to operate your PC?

DilbertAZ,

Once again you commit the crime of assault with a deadening weapon. Citzen's arrest! Citizen's arrest!!

First Note: Entirely fiction. kushaw never said any of these things, nor would he. No malice intended. Just fun to poke the droogs worrying about lengths of posts again. :-)

Second Note: Who gets the Rest-the-Condor minutes against Bzdelik and Boulder Juco?

Third Note: Who gets the Rest-the-Sherronatron minutes against Bzdelik and Boulder Juco?

Fourth Note: Is the OU game when Elijah Johnson is entrusted with the task of guarding the opponent's number one perimeter scorer (Willie Warren) for 40 minutes to prove the minority of nuts who think Elijah should be playing serious minutes this season?

Fifth Note: Does anyone think Jeff Capel is still a good coach?

Sixth Note: Have you seen the T-shirts in Norman that read: "We don't reload, we rebuild"?

Seventh Note: When OU's 296 pound Tiny "Cooking Oil" Gallon and Dexter "the Crisco Kid" Pittman play, does the floor have to be reinforced, or just degreased?

Eighth Note: Is every one ready to convert to the Princeton system, because of Boulder Juco's meteoric ascent to 11th place in the Big 12?

Ninth Note: Keep writing what you want the way you want kushaw. The Special Season would be less special without you. The droogs we will always have with us.

Tenth Note: Rock chalk!

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

Mikendal- It's probably just his style and something he's become comfortable with over the years. I'm not trying to bash on him at all. I expect he's not as comfortable slashing to basket as others. It's great to see his shot is back. It's so smooth when he's on, almost predictable when it leaves his hand and fun to watch for sure. He's made some great strides this year defensively, lets hope he stays consistent otherwise.

jaybate 10 years, 1 month ago

ralster,

Nail head. Hammer, Hit. Excellent.

Edward Daub 10 years, 1 month ago

Bob Knight should stick to analysis of Chess. A Musburger is a 1/2 pound Angus burger covered with French's yellow mustard on a Weck Roll.