Kansas defeats Nebraska, 75-64

• 5 p.m., Feb. 6, 2010
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Fanning the flames

Fired-up Collins sparks Jayhawks

Kansas guard Sherron Collins roars to the student section after the Jayhawks force a turnover against Nebraska in the second half, Saturday, Feb. 6, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Audio clips

KU-Nebraska

Reader poll

Who played best in the second half of KU's 75-64 victory over Nebraska?

• Cole Aldrich 19% 338 votes
  • Sherron Collins 13% 243 votes
  • Marcus Morris 58% 1038 votes
  • Markieff Morris 6% 122 votes
  • Other 1% 31 votes

1772 total votes.

Reader poll

Which KU big man off the bench played better in the first half?

• Thomas Robinson 28% 6 votes
  • Jeff Withey 66% 14 votes
  • Undecided 4% 1 vote

21 total votes.

Kansas University point guard Sherron Collins received a batch of phone calls and text messages from family members and friends all day Saturday.

“Most people were saying, ‘Good luck Monday against Texas.’ I was like, ‘We’ve got a game today.’ Talking to different people, they were all looking past this one,” Collins said.

Lucky for KU, Collins took a one-game-at-a-time mentality into Saturday’s late-afternoon, pre-Texas confrontation against Nebraska.

The senior — who was infuriated by pregame comments from Husker guard Sek Henry in both the press and in person — scored 17 points and dished six assists in the Jayhawks’ 75-64 victory.

To show how fired up he was about No. 1-ranked KU’s 22nd victory in 23 tries and eighth win without a loss in league play, he bounced the ball hard off the floor following the final horn.

It was quite an emphatic statement after a victory over the Big 12’s last-place team.

“There was a little chipping,” Collins said of barking between him and Henry during stretching well before the game.

“He said something. I told him, ‘We’re going to come right at you.’ He kept trying to make it about me. I kept reminding him it’s about a team effort. I think there’s a difference. Some players focus on themselves and worry about themselves and don’t worry about their team and winning. I’d rather score no points and go zero-for-whatever and still win.”

Henry reminded huskersillustrated.com on Friday that Collins scored just eight of his 22 points in KU’s Jan. 13 victory in Lincoln with Henry guarding him.

Henry told the Web site he “contained him” and “did slow him down.”

“I don’t think it’s too smart to do that,” Collins said of Henry boasting about his own defensive prowess.

The two chatted briefly in the handshake line after Saturday’s game.

“It was friendly. I asked him, ‘How many points did you catch today?’’’ Collins said. “He didn’t reply. It’s all love. He won’t say anything. I got the best of him.”

Henry, by the way, had six points, four assists and four turnovers.

KU’s Marcus Morris, who scored 20 points off 9-of-15 shooting (two of six from the line), noticed an extra-focused Collins before tip.

“A couple guys threw shots at him, and he was ready,” Morris said. “You could just see in the locker room that he was ready.”

What kind of shots?

“Verbal shots. Stare-downs, trying to scare him, trying to play the intimidation factor, which never works with Sherron,” Morris said. “That wasn’t smart, but they did it.”

Morris was asked if Collins is the last guy a team should try that with.

“Last guy,” Morris stated. “Ask coach. He’ll tell you.”

Even with all the extracurricular activity firing up the Jayhawks, NU led, 43-39, 25 minutes into the game.

After a timeout in which coach Bill Self lit into his troops, Collins came out and iced a three-pointer. That opened KU runs of 15-1 and 28-5 that gave the Jayhawks a comfy, 67-48, lead with 5:13 remaining.

NU was able to cut the deficit to nine points, but inched no closer than that.

All in all, not a bad victory with the long-awaited 8 p.m. Big Monday game against Texas looming in Austin. It remains a big game, even though Texas has fallen to 5-3 in the league following Saturday’s loss at Oklahoma, compared to KU’s 8-0 mark.

“That’s what we talked about in the locker room afterward,” KU coach Bill Self said. “I don’t want to take anything away from Nebraska, but this is one of those games, ‘Let’s get through this game so we can get to that game.’ I think we’ll go down there very excited to play.

“I’m not really excited,” he added of KU’s play in victories over Colorado and NU, “but when you really look at it, did I expect us to play great this week? I probably didn’t expect to play great coming off last week (wins over Missouri and Kansas State), and our guys are tired. I thought they played tired today.”

He said the Jayhawks likely would practice just 40 minutes today “to have fresh minds and legs going to Austin.”

Collins won’t need any pregame comments from any Longhorns to be ready for that one.

“It’ll be a man’s game, running-up-and-down pace. It’ll be fun,” he said.

Comments

Kevin Long 9 years, 11 months ago

I like Collin's toughness. This is KANSAS basketball. He is not going to let anyone come in here and take anything away from his great career here. I know they haven't played all that well the last few games, but you can just tell that Collins and Aldrich are determined to do what it takes to carry this team.

PAHAWK1 9 years, 11 months ago

"........Some players focus on themselves and worry about themselves and don’t worry about their team and winning. I’d rather score no points and go zero-for-whatever and still win.”

This says everything about Sherron's greatness as a basketball player and leader of the team. Mr. Collins text your quote to John Wall.

Steve Brown 9 years, 11 months ago

Texas has lost 4 of last 6 games, 3 conf. and 1 UConn.

They will be ready for some home cookin'. Fire up the grille, ready for beef enchiladas.

Expect fast game pace, giving Taylor a chance to shine.

KUPROUD 9 years, 11 months ago

I love Sherron, but I can understand why some players try to get in his head. Sherron can win a game with great plays, and he can scare the cr?p out of me with his lose ball handling and forced shots at times. But he is the man, and he does love the role.

Dirk Medema 9 years, 11 months ago

PAHawk - Absolutely.

Tho Sherron likely won't be recognized for it in post season awards, it is what makes him the best PG in college ball this year. He won't be awarded for it, because people voting on those awards get to see very little of the team's play, and influenced mostly by stats and journo hype. It's all the non-stat stuff that seperates Sherron from the others as the best.

Fruity22 9 years, 11 months ago

What did Nebraska do that was so dirty?

AsadZ 9 years, 11 months ago

Nebraska played a great game. Give credit to their kids. They have some good group of young kids and will be a much better team next year. Having said that it is not surprising to see all teams giving their best shot against KANSAS and #1 ranked team

melrank 9 years, 11 months ago

If I were a fly on the wall, would I have overhead this conversation sometime on Friday?

Coach Self: "Guys, I'm concerned that we are overlooking this Nebraska team. The Texas game is big on Monday".

Coach Manning: "Yeah, riding back on the bus from Colorado, I heard several of the players talking in their sleep about 'Butchering Some Steers' and 'Icing the League Championship'."

Coach Dooley: "This Nebraska team can play some D."

Coach Townsend: "Man, they can shoot the 3-ball at times, too, and I know Doc is going to have his team fired up to play us."

Self: "We need to get the guys energized for Saturday! What are we going to rally around?"

Dooley: "Coach, check this out. I found this on Husker Illustrated. This Henry-clown was popping off about how well he guarded Sherron last time. Says here he 'Shut him down'."

Self: "Did he really say that?"

Townsend: "Yep, the guy thinks he can get in Sherron's head."

Manning: "Some punk from Iowa State tried that stuff on me once and I leveled him for 33 and 12 when they showed up."

Self: "Has Sherron seen this?"

Dooley: "I don't think so."

Townsend: "Coach. What if we hung this on the bulletin board?"

Manning: "Better, yet. I've got the link here on my blackberry. I'll text it to Sherron right now."

Self: "OK, Danny, do it. Tell Sherron that his manhood is being challenged. That'll get him and the team going. This will still be a tough game, but if we can get Sherron amped up and challenged, he won't let us lose."

Dooly: "Coach, you want me to move the warm-up lines closer to mid-court so Sherron can mix it up with Henry a little before the game?"

Townsend: "I love that move".

Self: "Do it."

randy_schaller20 9 years, 11 months ago

That's pretty good Melrank!!!!

I think it will be interesting to see how Texas comes out Monday night. I'm sure they will be amped up to have #1 in their house but I think if KU pops them in the mouth early they will crumble. They've had to many losses lately and with good teams that are supposed to win, when they lose they fall apart.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 11 months ago

Has anybody noticed that Sherron is getting predictable on his 1 on 1 move? He crosses over to his right makes a jab step going right and comes back left everytime. If I was scouting him I would tell my players to camp on that right side and make sure you recover on the left since that is the way Collins always goes. He always makes that jab right and never makes another dribble or 1 dribble at most to the right side when making his move. He will always go behind his back to his left or jump back and cross over in front of the defender and go back left. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this?

Benjamin Clay Jones 9 years, 11 months ago

"I'd rather score no points . . . and still win."

Wish that was true. Unfortunately, Sherron too often hoists up a bad shot with three or four defenders around him instead of passing to open teammates.

Benjamin Clay Jones 9 years, 11 months ago

"I probably didn’t expect to play great coming off last week (wins over Missouri and Kansas State), and our guys are tired. I thought they played tired today.”

Um, there's always your bench, coach. After all, you DO supposedly have the deepest team in America. Hard to tell, though, since you rarely go beyond 8 deep for meaningful minutes.

MGJayhawk 9 years, 11 months ago

Kushaw -

Yes I noticed that. I also noticed that he always goes right when the game is on the line.

Hasn't the other teams in the NCAA learned not to piss off Sherron!!?? Anytime someone comes at him, he makes them look foolish. I hope Balbay and Avery Bradley start their sh*t talking early on Monday too. I doubt it, because Texas is classy, however, it would be nice to see the Hawks come out fired up and go on a 20-4 run to begin the game. Probably a pipe dream...

Chris Shaw 9 years, 11 months ago

MGJayhawk: OMG! You actually responded in a constructive manner in regards to my post! You have been the last individual I would have least expected that from. You may not like my posts, but there are a lot of ingredients that make this Jayhawk team "Tick-Tock" and it is fun to talk about all that in great detail.

You actually had something to say about the game of basketball rather than being negative about a poster that is voicing an opinoin. Isn't it fun to have a "Voice" and demonstrate an opinion in a public forum?

melrank 9 years, 11 months ago

Soobawls - I've officially forgiven you for all of your negative posts because of your new Avatar. Awesome!

What was that old Avatar anyway?

utahjayhawk 9 years, 11 months ago

NU did not play dirty.........that's really a reach. Henry tried to get in 'Ron's head and it obviously didn't work. Plus we were gassed for the most part from the previous 2 OT games.........NU did UT a big favor yesterday in keeping it close.

I would have loved to have used the bench more but TRob is still not getting it on the defensive end...........he lost an assignment that resulted in an easy NU bunny at one point. Kid will be an absolute stee-ud going forward though. Withey should see the court more though against UT and going forward hopefully.

How about Brady's game?! Kid was absolute nails with several heads-up plays yesterday. His run-out drive and ever-so subtle cut to the basket pulled the NU wing defender to him (maybe Anderson) and gave just enough space to kick it to 'Ron for an open 3 ball that splashed through. That was beautiful basketball.

Mike Kendall 9 years, 11 months ago

kushaw------

I noticed that too, Collins goes right when the game in on the line, but here's the $1,000,000 question: Who has stopped Collins and that move--not too many. I believe that the more times you beat a team like Nebraska, as many times that we have beaten them in basketball, that the games get closer. Take Colorado, too, for example. Granted, our performance is not where it should be the last two games, but I have noticed that.

Also, Jesse, kushaw, kuwells or whoever--are the Jayhawks not flying to road trips now--are they taking buses to Boulder and Austin? If they are taking buses, that a hella long bus ride. As much money as the Jayhawks bring in, you would think they would fly to the long road trips---just curious! Really, because HCBS said we looked like a tired team out there!

Kevin Long 9 years, 11 months ago

Soobawls your pic is just priceless! ha ha ha

Alan Mills 9 years, 11 months ago

We're into February. I'm enjoying watching our team round into form. But, I must say, I'm disappointed that Coach Self continues to stick with Xavier Henry. At what point do you accept the fact that everyone missed on this kid. He's not the second-coming. In fact, he probably wasn't a genuine D-I recruit. I've heard rumor that his parents, apparently showing their love and devotion as former Jayhawks, are acting like Maymon's dad at Marquette and James' father at Texas Tech, chipping at the coaching staff, saying "you're not using him the right way". What? First, I wouldn't be surprised...that's the way parents behave these days. But, not using him the right way? OK, so he cannot shoot, cannot handle the ball, and cannot defend. How is he not being used the right way? Oh, I get it. He should be in charge of the water and towels. Those are probably skills he actually does possess! Sorry, those of you who will think I'm not a fan. I'm the biggest fan. We are ALWAYS worse with #1 on the floor, no matter who we are playing!

SaltyJayhawk 9 years, 11 months ago

Crimsoninracine- I totally disagree with your post. Xavier Henry is playing great defense, you've seen how many steals he's been getting. He's getting quite a few rebounds too and he doesn't give away many turnovers either. And as for your shooting comment, of course he can shoot! he has shotting above 40% for the non conference schedule. He scored 27 points in one game. He's a player, and he's just going through a slump. He's going to catch fire in one of these up coming games and your gunna have to eat your words. And don't question HCBS either. he knows what he's doing, thats why he's the head coach of the Kansas Jayhawks and we aren't. Rock Chalk

David Reed 9 years, 11 months ago

crimsoninracine:

you are way off on X.he's going through probably the worst stretch he's ever gone through.lest you forget he has the KU record for points by a frosh in his KU debut.X will get it back but you need to support the ENTIRE team instead of throwing a FRESHMAN under the bus for a rough stretch

Sparko 9 years, 11 months ago

This team is 8-0 against arguably the best competition the Big XII has mustered. A&M is for real and playing well with Turgeon. Baylor is great this year; Texas has found out the hard way how good the conference is. Those who say there are no great teams this year are ignorant of the fact that there are so many good ones, few teams have easy runs these days. Looking at the Cornell game, you just had to shake your head. There are so many great tray shooters in college these days--it has been a HUGE leveling factor this year.

hawk_of_ages 9 years, 11 months ago

Real "classy" comment, there, crimson. Got some kind of personal ax to grind?

I guess I should stop reading these message boards; I'm sick to death of reading nasty comments about KU player by anonymous KU "fans." Sick of it.

Mike Kendall 9 years, 11 months ago

drgnslayr---

You always have great posts and the one about Coach Sadler is another good one. Totally agree with you on Sadler. Nice analogy on Sadler!

Theutus 9 years, 11 months ago

supermario15, talk about a completely worthless puff stat. The most points ever for a Freshman? It's because he obviously made a deal with Self for guaranteed playing time.

I'm not saying that to be mean, but it's blatantly obvious. No Freshman has ever come in and gotten the playing time he's gotten. Especially not with his poor play.

That "record" was against a nobody, and X was throwing up a ton of shots. Do I think it's a bad thing? It's debatable. I think he'll be gone after this year, but if play was any indicator, he should stay another year.

Regardless of your opinion, the freshman points record thing is garbage, and not something you should use as an argument. Not unless of course he can do it against a big-time opponent like Texas. So far he's been completely irrelevant in B12 play.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 11 months ago

No one in Division One has the capacity to make plays that are almost miracles then turn around a make plays that are almost nightmares, than Sherrron. The good news is the "good" Sherron shows up many, many more times than the "bad" Sherron!!

I don't think America realizes how tough this kid is..he plays basketball with a football mentality. "Go ahead and do your worst to me...I'm still going to beat you!!" There would have been no Mario miracle if Sherrron had not made three consecutive spectacular plays in a row!!

In my 44 seasons as a Jayhawk, Sherron may be the toughest player I have ever seen don the Crimson and Blue. If any of you disagree please let me know!!

Steve Gantz 9 years, 11 months ago

Wow, I though if someone ticks you and your team off you should beat them by about 30, especially when they're in last in the conference. Looks like Nebraska did what they could to beat us by getting into Sherron's head. That's not a good sign for this team. Hope I'm wrong of course.

Dan Harris 9 years, 11 months ago

Crimson-Are you F#@$#@#g serious? X not a div1 recruit? Go back to Branson and play the banjo you Missouri hack!!!!!!!!!

David Reed 9 years, 11 months ago

Theutus:

please go back to Fizzou where you and Crimson will be very happy together.either you root for the entire team without trying to tear down a studen athlete and an 18 year old one at that or you go away so we don't have to hear this garbage anymore

Larry Smith 9 years, 11 months ago

The funniest thing about crimsons post is all the rumors that "he's heard" about X's parents. Do you really mean "the rumors I am trying to start"? Get a life and get a clue. To come around here and try to start completey false and unfounded rumors show that you really are no fan of this team, or this player. That fact that you say X is not a legitimate D-1 recruit makes you lose all credibilty.

Alan Mills 9 years, 11 months ago

Oakville, you are right on the money with Sherron. Didn't I just hear someone in the national media yesterday commenting that Sherron was the best player in America who did not seem to be in the national spotlight? He makes big play after big play, going all the way back to 2008 in San Antonio, and even before that! He can also make plays that drive a fan (and coach, I'd think) absolutely insane! But, in crunch time, he's there 100%. Not only does he clearly relish the challenge of making the play, but he has the mental and physical toughness to actually make the play! Love watching him play for the Jayhawks!

By the way, no ax to grind. Not from Mizzou...hate Missouri more than anything. In fact, I'm insulted that the Texas game is part of "Rivalry Week". We don't have a rivalry with the Horns...it's the Antlers we love to beat! No, just sharing my thoughts, as does everyone, about the Jayhawks. If you don't like my comments, that's fine with me. But, try to have something to offer. I'm not sure I'd give him credit for all those steals. Often, someone else forces the turnover and ball falls into his hands. I watch every game, and Henry cannot handle the ball at all. Perimeter players need to be able to handle. And, he cannot defend at all. He loses him man almost every possession. Does he rebound? Sure, he is 6'6". He should be able to rebound. But, hey, at least those were responses with some credibility.

I hope I'm wrong about his parents, but that's the rumor out there. Bad news if that's the case. Of course, his parents (both KU alums) have not shown much love ever. Marquette is a better team with Maymon off to Tennessee. If Carl is trying to live through his son, I would be very concerned!

JHawkers 9 years, 11 months ago

Have not heard anything about Brandon Knight lately, does anyone know which school that he leaning toward? KU or UK?

Theutus 9 years, 11 months ago

Supermario, what are you 10? These "kids" can handle criticism. And all I'm saying is that X isn't playing very well. He's not.

And using the "highest scoring game for a freshman" stat against a nobody is just laughable.

Grow up. I love the desire to win that X has, doesn't change the fact he's got no offensive game, and hasn't since B12 started.

kujayhawk34 9 years, 11 months ago

Thetus and crimson- I would personally love to see either one of you suit of for KU as the most hyped recruit in school history. He's still figureing out when to defer, when to take shots, so on and so forth. Neither one of you have any room to critisize, because neither one of you, or anyone else who posts anything here (including myself) could do any better. X will get his sh*t figured out, just like Cole did. The only thing you two bring to this message board is negativity, so either get the hell out or shut it. Either way your negative comments are not welcome.

chalkitup1811 9 years, 11 months ago

Crimsoninracine- You don't even know what your talking about carl trying to live through X ????? wtf No way. Carl was a bomb player at Kansas , he had a good career. and if Carl was bitching at Self then wouldn't you think he would be bitchin about CJ too. If anything i think CJ should be playing over X, so that just tells you that he probably isn't saying anything to self. And as for X yeah he might not be the best ball handler but the kid is a stud. i played against him in highschool his Defense has gotten A LOT better than it was. I don't know what you call getting lost on defense but that is certaintly not the case for X. Even self said in his press confrence that X is in a slump and that he is playing well on the defensive end, that coming from HCBS who is all about defense. I love how you make these comments when half of them aren't even true. you just don't know how to anaylze basketball because i'm pretty sure X is a pure shooter i've been playing against him since i was in the 7th grade buddy, the kid can flat out shoot. He will get better as his time goes by at kansas b/c honestly i don't think he is ready for the NBA and i think he might be coming back just like B Rush

waywardJay 9 years, 11 months ago

he took 12 shots to get those 27 points..... that's 2 points a shot effectiveness... that's really good actually....

Hofstra looked good at one point and they tanked in conference play.... they had a player who was supposed to be conference POY quality and ..... nyet.

Frankly, I'm glad we had a team like Cornell in their run....

Memphis 16-7. Oalkand 18-8. Tewmple 19-5. cornel is 20-3?

A few months ago, these were nobody teams Kansas was playing....now they are bubble to potential locks in the NCAA tourney..... Cal and UCLA have gone bust, so has Michigan but they are still big time NAMES, and we cannot help that Howland's about to get fired,or Beilein cannot get his boys healthy.

Turns out our Non-Con wasn't as bad as many team suspected it would be...

As for Xavier, He's affecting the gamesin postive ways... He's getting better on Defense, and he IS improving alot in areas such as footwork, defensive rebounding, positioning.... He's also been in position a couple of time to block shots....

Frankly, Kid's not ready to do EVERYTHING... and scoring is the one thing i think this kid expected he could do on any one... and it turns out College taught him that he has to play all facets of the game and not just when and where's he's comfortable.... You can see it on the court why he originally chose Calipari.... He does one thing better than anything else.... Score. Had he gone to Kentucky they wouldn't have really cared much about his Defensive lapses because BOY THAT X can shoot.

Cal doesn't care about legacy or X's NBA Dollars past what it does for his career.... and you can seee in is developing defensive game Why on second consideration ( or possibly 3rd ) he finally stuck with Kansas....

For those who say things like.... X has noo offensive game, or NO ability to handle the basketball..... I guess you really don't know what your looking for.... I don't think i want x dribbling more than once or twice unless the lane is clear....

I want him pump faking and shooting... driving two steps and pulling up for a jump shot around 10-12 feet..... if the lane is free.... keep going but i don't really want him handling the basketball as a freshman like that..... i hoped he had handles coming from high school ... but he does handle like a forward..... Frankly we got ball handlers.... i want x coming off screen's for tree and popping 10-12 footers all night long... and he has that game...... just struggling with the shot going IN right now.

What i would like to see Sherron do, Run a specific set early in the Texas Game, have cole or Marcus set a back pick for an alley oop dunk to Xavier... nothign gets a kid going like a nice dunk....

Mike Kendall 9 years, 11 months ago

Since Woodling came out with that article on North Carolina and Roy Williams, they really have tanked!!!! Roy lost today at Maryland by 21 points! OUCH!!!!!!

Theutus 9 years, 11 months ago

I love how some fans can't handle any criticism of their team whatsoever. You people are just sad. I'm going to keep on calling a spade a spade. Xavier hasn't put out on offense at all since Big 12 play started.

In my opinion, he's not earning the amount of minutes he's getting.... But hey, that's juts a fan's perspective. I'm going to keep posting it here, and there isn't a thing you can do about it crybaby.

I don't agree with Crimson, i think Xavier will end up being a great player, that being said I'd rather see his comments than your whining about anyone who says anything that isn't praise our team. I bet your the type of person who complains to a school because your kid got an F. Then the school has to go and remove "F" from their grading scale, just because you can't handle the truth.

BCRavenJHawkfan 9 years, 11 months ago

mikendal: And the UNC freefall makes that Texas win in Jones Palace somewhat less impressive. For those looking at that race to 2000 wins I would argue that it would be better if UNC does make the NCAA tournament. The current record suggests they exit in the first or second round. If they don't go to the NCAA dance they go to the NIT, and most likely play several games at HOME in tournament competition. That greatly increases their odds of winning, slim as it might be.

Alec White 9 years, 11 months ago

Um, supermario15, I actually think that stat is completely relevant. Theutus, you're telling me that in the entire illustrious history of KU basketball (or at least from the 70's on when freshman were allowed to play), this one player scored more points as a freshman than any other player and it doesn't matter? No, it doesn't tell us he's the best freshman ever at KU (Manning, Rush, even Sherron had better first-years) but it shows he has the skills to be a great player. Unfortunately X hasn't kept pace with his unreal 50% from 3-point land, but he has that capability to get hot and shoot from deep.

Basically, Self has limited X's role to what Tyrel does: take open shots and play tough defense. But the fact that X can defend a little better and can be a great rebounder when he wants is what is attractive to Self so much. With the recent emergence of 20/10 aka Madman Morris aka Marcus, X doesn't have to score nearly as much. He just has to shoot (and make) his open thre-point attempts, play tough D, and rebound. There are some teams that we could see during March and April that we need X to man-up on. I know it sounds silly when we have Brady and Tyshawn as lock-down guys, but remember they are both 6-3 and pretty skinny. Who guards guys like Evan Turner, Wes Johnson, Devin Ebanks, Raymar Morgan, etc? It has to be X-he is the only one with comparable lateral quickness and size to be effective...Anyway, that is why Self is sticking with X during these tough times IMO

Theutus 9 years, 11 months ago

No i don't Rock_Chalk, and this is why. I think (and this is my personal opinion) that for the first time (or to a greater extent) Coach Self actually guaranteed minutes to pull a recruit.

I think it's been fairly obvious that Xavier is getting a very large amount of playing time, all while putting out very little. And this is as a freshman. No other Freshman in my recent memory has come in and gotten the playing time, nor the shots Xavier has. Any other freshman pulls the trigger as much as he did? Bench. Any other freshman made half as many turnovers as X? Bench. That's just how it's been. All of the sudden we pull this huge hyped recruit and that changes?

Now, i'm not saying it's a bad thing really... I'm just saying that the stat is pretty much a non-point. If EJ was given X's minutes, i guarantee you he could put up more points. Guaranteed. That kid is an offensive weapon that can cut to the basket better than anyone on our team right now.... I just think his defense is keeping him out of the game.

melrank 9 years, 11 months ago

Rock_Chalk - I like your thoughts on Self sticking with X except for the part where he already plays good defense - I don't see that so much even with all the steals. The steals are indicative that X has the instincts and ability, but he's not ready for prime time in lock down defending man on man.

I think Self believes he can develop into that type of defender this year with lots of PT so that is why he continues to stick with him. Then Self would have a crazy weapon at the 3 to compliment Sherron, Cole, and Madman Marcus (funny nickname).

BCRavenJHawkfan 9 years, 11 months ago

Okay, okay, okay. I've been bummed by Xavier's inconsistent performance just as much as anyone. And like others I could come on here and vent, ridicule, gripe, and just be flat out unhappy about it all. But here's the deal. Would you rather have had John Wall? I've watched plenty from him and he is one dimensional.

Chad Sandwell 9 years, 11 months ago

How can you say Texas has the advantage on free-throws. I thought that they were one of the worst free throw shooting teams in the big 12. To be more specific defensive rebounding is where we need to be strong on Monday night. And for all the X haters out there. We don't need him to score 12-15 points every night. Would it be nice yes. But I would be just fine to let him hit a couple of shots and loosen up the defense...play good defense and gets a few steals and rebounds 9 points as he had last night is ok....the one who is the loose cannon is tyshawn I thought he was a little careless with the basketball and doesn't seem to know what speed to play with at the right time. All that being said. I still think we beat Texas. And in the end that's all that matters. All the haters in general need to go soak your heads. Enjoy the ride....it is starting to hit the final stages.

100 9 years, 11 months ago

Note to all posters:

if someone is quite obviously trying to fill this site with BS stuff (like crimsoninracine's "quote" from X's mom & Dad), we can get rid of it.

We need to click the report abuse button. It's obvious lies with an agenda.

Anytime these kind of comments come up, click the button. If three of different posters click abuse button, the LJW takes a look and is supposed to remove it.

Here's to true Jayhawks sticking up for the truth.

Marcia Parsons 9 years, 11 months ago

Theutus: I have to disagree with you on the "guaranteed minutes" idea. Don't you realize that X is still considered a one-and-done? Many on here think he isn't ready for that, but when has that ever stopped the NBA from drafting potential. Based on that premise, if he doesn't play him a lot this year, when is he going to play him? My guess would be that the only promise Self made was to work him hard and make him a better player. No way he guaranteed him minutes. I suspect he has the good sense to realize that when all the defense, etc. comes easier to X, he will be able to relax and stop thinking so much, and his natural shooting ability will reassert itself. Self knows how good this kid can be, and is trying to get him to that place while he can. We just need to show the same patience.

Mike Kendall 9 years, 11 months ago

BC Raven---- I would rather have X than John Wall any day because of attitude and because he plays for a cheatin' coach.

4caster---- Texas is bad on free throws. They have one of the worst % for FT's. Only thing is, the Jayhawks FT's have been bad, as of late, especially, during the CU game. They were better VS Nebraska.

Theutus---- Just like oldalum, I don't buy the "guaranteed minutes" idea either. That would reflect on HCBS and it would be hard to prove anyway. Pure speculation.

BC Raven-- You make a good point on Roy Williams and North Carolina. I would rather see them barely squeak into the Dance, only to be bounced out of the 1st or 2nd Rounds by a Bucknell-type team. Making the NIT, they would have several home games to win VS the Field of 64. One doesn't know how much crap I have taken for Roy leaving (I felt like he should have stayed at the time), even my wife was getting on my case about it. Since KU defeated the Tar Hills in '08 and they really have tanked this year, my critics have been silenced, thank goodness. Roy is not as good as Bill and sure glad we have him. I, also, agree with a lot of posters that D. Manning is under rated as an assistant coach and, I'm afraid we'll lose him because some program will want him as their head coach. But I say, "good for them," because it will probably happen. Hope I wrong, though!

waywardJay 9 years, 11 months ago

100,

I heard from a friend of a cousin of Marcus Morris that he dunked on Xavier in practice and Carl henry had a temper tantrum. ;) ( completely bogus done for comic effect )

100 9 years, 11 months ago

Nice comedy Wayward... Thanks to your hilarious comments about X, Marcus & Carl, the following has just happened-------->Johnny Carson, Rod Serling, Ed Sullivan, Chris Farley, Lucille Ball, Jane Curtain, Charlie Chaplin, Jim Belushi, John Ritter, Ed McMahon &... [[Drumroll]] Conan OBrien [[uproarious explosion of soundtrack laughter]]have officially rolled over on the comfy dark, wet, low level Oxygen spots they were sleeping.

mikendal: I agree. X is exactly what this team needs. I wouldn't want anyone else. We just need to be patient, it will all come...

As for Wall, of course we don't want him -- the NCAA is investigating him for the 2nd time in 3 months. Let Kentucky fans worry about how many wins they will have to forfeit.

Lone_salina_kufan 9 years, 11 months ago

100-

So you want us to tattle on someone for posting a stupid comment? Just rip em, its a lot more fun.

100 9 years, 11 months ago

If it's false reporting, with malicious intent, which it obviously is, heck yeah we can have it removed. This is a newspaper site & though posters don't always have their facts right, malicious rumors (lies) should & can be removed by the LJW.

Alan Mills 9 years, 11 months ago

It's nice to see people defending KU players on this board. Oddly enough, that hasn't always been the case. Think back a couple of weeks to Taylor's immature conduct off the court with Facebook. All negative, and nobody seemed the least bit concerned. In fact, it was really any army of posters ready to drive the bus over him! My apologies for critical comments about the Chosen One.

I'll be the first to bite into the crow if Xavier can right the ship. If he could put up solid double-figure scoring numbers every night, we'd be an even better team. But, I just don't see any signs of it happening. Right now, we're a better team with Taylor in the game and Henry on the bench.

gardenjay 9 years, 11 months ago

Danny should be telling all these one-and-done kids "Hey, a four year degree is the way to go in the long run. Look at moi."

100 9 years, 11 months ago

Gardenjay,

no kidding. Best four years of your life, Danny himself has said this many times...

kusayzone 9 years, 11 months ago

I want to know why SC always screams at the crowd, the opposing team, at his team mates to get fired up! Does he need help firing himself up? It is always the personal battles that he has on the court that disturbs me. True motivation, grasshopper, should come from within! A senior should know this!

JayhawkRock 9 years, 11 months ago

Sek Henry still talking trash...This was taken from his facebook page today: "#4 got a lot of nerves to talking smack about you got the best of me child please. people want to patt there stats toward the end of the game and score all there wide open threes off of doubling the post and now want to talk smack again. you clearing out going one on one with me dont work you tried that to many times but ill see you in the 12 loc real talk"