Sunday, November 29, 2009

Briscoe undecided

KU wideout mulls NFL future

Kansas receiver Dezmon Briscoe (80) laments his second fumble of the game against Missouri during the third quarter, Saturday, Nov. 28, 2009 at Arrowhead Stadium.

Videos

KU vs. Missouri

video thumbnail

Videos from the 2009 Border Showdown at Arrowhead Stadium.

Audio clips

2009 KU-MU football

Reader poll

Should Mark Mangino be the head coach of the Kansas Jayhawks next season?

• Yes 47% 2863 votes
  • No 45% 2729 votes
  • Undecided 7% 453 votes

6045 total votes.

— Dezmon Briscoe hasn’t decided yet if he’ll return to Kansas University next year or if he’ll forgo his senior season to enter the 2010 NFL Draft.

“I don’t know,” the junior receiver said after KU’s 41-39 loss to Missouri on Saturday at Arrowhead Stadium. “I do want to come back to get my degree, but I do have a good chance to go high in the draft, so I don’t know if I want to take that opportunity or come back to school.”

Briscoe finished the season with 84 catches for 1,337 yards and nine touchdowns. His 1,337 receiving yards were the second most by a KU receiver in a year, trailing only the 1,407 receiving yards he had last season.

“I’m going to sit down with my mom and my dad and my coaches,” Briscoe said, “and just find out what goes on from there.”

Briscoe admitted that he hadn’t been having many conversations about his future in the last few weeks.

“Me and my mom, I love her to death. She’s always been there for me through thick and thin,” Briscoe said. “She just tells me to go out, don’t worry about it. We’ll figure it out after the season. So we’re going to sit down and talk about it now that the season’s over.”

So where would Briscoe see himself fitting in on the 2010 draft board?

“Personally, I believe I am a top-two-round pick,” Briscoe said. “But it’s not my pick. It’s the teams that draft’s pick.”

Briscoe said he hadn’t thought about if he would be more likely to stay if Mark Mangino remains as KU’s coach.

Saturday, Briscoe caught 14 passes for 242 yards and two touchdowns against MU. The 242 yards receiving were the second-most ever by a Jayhawk in a game — again trailing only his own mark of 269 against Oklahoma last season.

Briscoe still said it was hard to get excited about his day after losing two fumbles.

“The costly fumbles that I did have, they didn’t really make up for the big plays that I did have,” Briscoe said. “The two fumbles I had turned into 14 points, and that really hurt us in the long run.”

Mangino wasn’t as harsh when critiquing his star wideout.

“It was kind of a bittersweet day for Dez. He made some fantastic plays, and he made a couple mistakes that hurt,” Mangino said. “Dez has contributed great things to the program for a long time. Nobody feels worse than Dez.

“It’s not Dez’s fault that we didn’t win the game, that’s for sure. He gave us a chance to win.”

Comments

Billy Derringer 9 years, 10 months ago

doesnt matter if he stays or goes--we only won 5 games with him so its not the end all be all if he leaves--

Billy Derringer 9 years, 10 months ago

hcmm has bought his wins mostly againts sorry azz teams he schedule in early season games mangino is a joke look at his big 12 record he has 23 wins @ 41 losses and if you take away that 07 year when we went 7 and 1 16 wins @ 40 losses now u tell me how and were he gets his wins--thats right he buys them againts chumps what a joke--he needs to go

FlaHawk 9 years, 10 months ago

BBriscoe is gone. WHo would throw to him and who would coach him/ Too many variables for a stale return to an unknown situation.

Steve Brown 9 years, 10 months ago

last series Pinkle double dogged dared us to throw the ball, we took his bait.

Del: If you come back to increase your draft stock we would love to have you, if it is your time to move on, then we wish you the best, THANKS for your game and dedication. get good advisors to do the math for your draft stock this year v. next year and how those returns weight out both options. Good people know how to do this.

Steve Brown 9 years, 10 months ago

PS do NOT sign with an agent until you are sure, as after that the door is closed for returning to boost your draft stock dollars next year.

Jason Bailey 9 years, 10 months ago

The question should be is Meier going to the draft? I know he's a senior so it's a moot point in relation to the story of coming back vs. draft but here's the deal:

Briscoe was hot and cold all season long -- even within the same game. Meier was reliable whenever he was needed in a pinch to get yards.

Briscoe had mental lapses that simply shouldn't be happening with a potential NFL draftee (look at Shipley and Bryant and Crawford). Meier dropped a few but he wasn't called "Old Reliable" for nothing.

I just don't see where Briscoe is that great. Meier should be going pro.

Jory Collins 9 years, 10 months ago

Dez is projected as a 2nd round pick. Meier will get his shot but will be a late round draft pick or free agent pick-up. Dez disappeared sometime because he constantly gets double teamed, something Meier didn't have happen hence the 102 catches.

Jason2007, mental lapses have nothing to do with being a potential NFL draftee. There's a ton of idiots that get drafted very high.

If you watched the game last night and don't think Dez is great I'm not sure what you were watching. 14 for 237 and 2TD's??

I think they'll both have long NFL careers.

gchawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Dez, get your diploma. You'll never have a better opportunity than you do right now. Plus, getting into, and making a career of, the NFL is very tough, so you'd be well advised to get your education now so you'll always have that to fall back on.

jhokfan 9 years, 10 months ago

I don't think he had the kind of year that will get NFL teams excited. Another year will improve his draft stock but I think he's gone.

rawkhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Love ya Briscoe. Good luck with your decision.

BTW, I liked the uni's last night...

yates33333 9 years, 10 months ago

Are you sure derringer29 is a KU fan? Of course, KU only won 5 games, but Briscoe isn't the cause of the losses. Would you say the same about Reesing? KU needs players like Briscoe and Reesing, but it needs many more of them. Players win football games. If we had U. of Texas' pool of players we'd be fighting for the national championship.

If Briscoe can go high in the draft he should take the money and play. If not, come back home for another year!!! I think he can go high in the draft, unfortunately for KU but fortunately for him.

jhokfan 9 years, 10 months ago

If playing another year of college can improve his draft stock to first round status then it makes sense to return. I don't see him as a first round pick. I hope he doesn't take advise from the same guy who told Charles Gordon to skip his senior year.

grandpa 9 years, 10 months ago

I predict Briscoe will go pro, at least test the water. Meier will find little if any interest from pro teams. There are 100 receivers out there who will beat his 2,3 & 5 yard performance. Reesing has seen the last of football. Any pro team would be out of their mind to have an interest in him!

ftball101 9 years, 10 months ago

If Mangino stays.. briscoe is gone..is mangino leaves, there is a better chance of Briscoe staying, but i bet he still leaves. I think Briscoe is more tired of Mangino's crap than anyone else.