Monday, October 29, 2007

Ryan Wood’s KU football notebook

Eighth place at eight-and-oh

The Fighting Manginos climbed the BCS rankings after beating Texas A&M in College Station last weekend.

KU 8-0 for first time since 1909

The KU football team is 8-0 for the first time in nearly 100 years.

Eights have it

The Jayhawks' 8-0 start has unanimously elevated them into the top 10.

Kansas is ranked eighth in all three major polls - the Associated Press, the USA Today coaches and the Harris Interactive - and also came in eighth in the Bowl Championship Series rankings, which help determine who plays in the BCS National Championship Game.

In all, three Big 12 Conference teams are ranked in the top 10 in all the rankings. Oklahoma ranges from fourth to sixth, and Missouri is unanimously ranked ninth.

One of the computer formulas which help calculate the BCS rankings - the highly regarded Sagarin ratings - has Kansas as the No. 1 team in college football.

Nationwide

KU's 11:30 a.m. game Saturday against Nebraska figures to reach a wide television audience.

Fox Sports Net will not do a split-national telecast of two Big 12 games in that slot as originally pondered, meaning the Kansas-Nebraska game will be shown on most FSN affiliates, including Fox Sports Midwest (Sunflower Broadband channel 36).

FSN planned to show two conference games if ABC chose not to show two games Saturday. However, ABC decided Saturday night to pick up both Texas-Oklahoma State (2:30 p.m.) and Texas A&M-Oklahoma; (7 p.m.).

The game, KU's first at Memorial Stadium since Oct. 13, is a sellout.

Not a believer

Texas A&M; defensive end Michael Bennett didn't have any positive impressions of Kansas, even after the Jayhawks beat the Aggies, 19-11, on Saturday in College Station, Texas.

"I'm not impressed" Bennett told local reporters. "But I promise you, when we meet them in the Big 12 championship, we're going to win the game."

Up next

Nebraska is heading to Lawrence this week in shambles.

The Huskers (4-5 overall, 1-4 Big 12 play) have lost four straight, falling from ahead to drop a 28-25 game at Texas on Saturday. In addition, starting quarterback Sam Keller was injured in the loss, and his status is unclear for this week. Joe Ganz likely would start if Keller is unavailable.

Kansas opened Sunday night as a 171â2-point favorite.

Comments

Nutflush21 13 years, 5 months ago

Someone please let Michael Bennett know that A&M doesnt have a snowball chance in hell of making the Big 12 title game.

sevenyearhawk 13 years, 5 months ago

Let's be respectful to the Aggies, but yeah ... this guy is a punk!

Read my posts on the The Huddle message board for more details about my trip to Aggieland!

We are going to utterly destroy Nebraska ...

Displayhawk 13 years, 5 months ago

Gotta give the guy some credit, he thinks we're good enough to get to the Big 12 Title game! LOL It's just sour grapes from a poor sport! Let's just ride this train as long as it rolls, and take one game at a time! GO HAWKS!

KU 13 years, 5 months ago

I grew up in Nebraska, but I went to KU. When I was a kid, I can't tell you how many road trips my parents took me on to KU and KSU football games because tickets in Lincoln were a tough get. However many roadtrips, it was that many NU beatdowns, probably by an average score of 49-7.

Well this is the year, Jayhawk fans! This is payback. All those NU fans that call themselves "the greatest fans in the world" are really showing their true colors over the past month of adversity. I hate to admit it, but I was once among them--smug, arrogant. They honestly believe that they "deserve" to win conference and national championships because somehow the "Nebraska Way" is superior to every other football program in the nation.

Newsflash......This isn't Bob Valesente's Jayhawks!

seattlehawk_78 13 years, 5 months ago

I would love nothing better than to pummel and embarrass the Cornhuskers but I wish NU had lived up to their preseason hype. It would be much better for KU to beat a good Nebraska team and I'm sure it would be more painful for the fans as well.

jhox 13 years, 5 months ago

I'm not quite as confident about Saturday as I was a week ago, but we should still win this one. I would love to see us put 60 on them, though. I went to a game in Lincoln back when Mike Rozier, Dean Steinkuhler and Dave Remington were there. That's still the best college football team I've ever seen. Rozier literally had holes big enough to drive a Mac truck through. Somehow they lost in their bowl game. What I do remember is that NU scored to make the game something like 62-7 and I heard a chant start on the other side of the stadium. I couldn't tell what it was at first, but as more and more people started chanting it, it became clear they were chanting "more". That's still the worst exhibition of sportmanship I've ever witnessed. At that point NU still had their first string offensive line in (but had gone to their second and third string skill position players.)

I've always thought how great it would be to return the favor and chant "more", if we were ever in the position to do it. I never really thought we would have that opportunity, but this may just be the year. I don't want to jinx us, but if we're lucky enough to have a big lead late in the game, I would love to hear the students start that chant. "More, More, More...." Go Jayhawks!

drum1984 13 years, 5 months ago

Just as clarification, Kansas is no. 1 in Sagarin's overall ratings that use both his Elo-Chess metric (only W's and L's count, not scoring margin) and his Pure Points metric (scoring margin is the factor). Only the Elo-Chess metric is actually used in the BCS formula which has Kansas ranked at no. 2 (Boston College is no. 1).

rolo2383 13 years, 5 months ago

Kansas was absolutely awesome on Saturday. Other than the first few plays we dominated both sides of the line. We should have won that game by 30 points or so.

With that being said. This was our third road game and it was our third road game that we left many points on the field and not on the scoreboard. This team is on the verge of blowing someone out on the road. Lets hurry up and get this done. Secondly, I am tired of us going for two when it's really not necessary. It seems like we have a habit of going for two, it rarely works, and then that ends up leaving a small door open for the other team. Texas a&m had a chance at the end of the game. I think it was two years, maybe three, when Texas Tech came back late in the game to win by one point. We had gone for two early in the game and failed. Just take the points and go for two ONLY IF IT IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY!!

For some reason this NU game worries me too but I think we'll end up winning by a fairly large margin. They look they have given up on the season.

troutsee 13 years, 5 months ago

Players and coaches, if you read these postings, let it be known that us long suffering KU FB fans want you to slaughter NU. We want you to run up the score. We have sat through too many one sided loses to NU and their obnoxious fans, who are touted by Brent Mussberger as being the greatest and most sportsmanlike fans in America.......Bulls..... They are bloodthirsty, as was their fellowship of christian athletes coach, Dr. Tom. What fans can't pay tribute to the losing team when you are trounsing them 55-7.

Take no prisoners this weekend. It's payback time. Run up the score. Humiliate. Slaughter. Rub their noses in it and we will drown them out when they start chanting, "Go Big Red."

Kevin Long 13 years, 5 months ago

I hate it when teams stop running their offense when they have a big lead. It's not the winning teams responsibility to keep you from looking bad, its yours.

navyjhawk 13 years, 5 months ago

Hmmm....funny one post wants the student body to mimick the worst display of sportsmanship he has ever seen. Another want's to see the score run up, glad you guys don't coach at KU or even worse one of my kids teams. Here is an idea, why not just continue to run our offensive gameplan with second and third string guys if we get a chance. Notice the guys from the team reacted very differently after beating A&M, they acted like it was expected and they had been there before, maybe our fans need to take a lesson. Once again, taking cheap shots at Tom Osborne, who everyone involved with college football agrees did things the right way, and did them with integrity is classless in my book.

Michael Leiker 13 years, 5 months ago

Like I said last week. I want to see broken bones, blood, Theisman type stuff.

I consider myself a nice person, so when I type that it kind of makes me feel bad, but I think NU deserves it. I just hate to think of all the injuries that occurred over the years in the NU game b/c of their style of play, and the fact that they always ran the score up and left starters in way too long. I want people hurt. I hope it's a 5 hour long game and I hope that the husker program is in shambles for years because of all the injuries that take place in this game.

My worst memories of NU games are the nights before, seeing middle-aged fat husker fan, sitting in the back of college bars (I remember sandbar specifically) w/some gaudy windbreaker on and a big red hat riding way too high on his head, scoping out coeds and drooling through his crooked teeth, Just thinking he is way sweeter than he really is.

Screw sportsmanship this weekend. You see a husker fan, you let them know how gd horrible their team is. We need to make them never want to set foot in the state of KS ever again.

I live here, these people need to be put in their place. They are flat out delusional about this stuff. It's not like KU w/basketball, it's a sickness. They talk about these 18 year old kids like they're professional athletes, and expect them to be perfect.

Make sure and mention the fact that their whole team was so roided up in the mid-90s that all of their titles should be taken away. You see some of these guys now? Jason Peters weighed like 300 lbs in college, all muscle, he looks like a junior high kid now.

Sick of them, thanks for listening.

Michael Leiker 13 years, 5 months ago

navy - I don't think any of us would be saying these things if we were talking about kids.

Michael Leiker 13 years, 5 months ago

Navy - I don't think anyone would be talking about it like this if we were coaching the local pee-wee team.

And Tom Osborne is a scoundrel, don't let his grandfatherly demeanor fool you. Maybe he'll be standing on the sidelines and get run over too.

troutsee 13 years, 5 months ago

Classless like you Navyhawk for taking a classless poke at a fellow Jayhawk. All I said was that Dr. Tom loved to run up the score on us, which he did many, many times. Now if you consider that classless, then you have a pretty high opinion of yourself.

Lets get back to the game at hand. And I still say, it's payback time and if that riles your sensitivities...TOUGH.

justanotherfan 13 years, 5 months ago

leikness,

That's a lot of venom you have flowing right there. In reading your past posts, you seem like a pretty solid guy, but this post is a little over the top, don't you think?

I want to see the Hawks cruise past the Huskers, but I'll stop short of hoping for broken bones, etc. For one, I've been on the field (as an official) in football games where kids have broken bones and let me tell you, it is not a fun place to be. It's not something you can get excited about. You can't even feel good about the hard hit. I hope KU crushes the 'skers, but please, no serious injuries.

KUglow 13 years, 5 months ago

In this era of BCS formulas, margin of victory does matter. I never thought I would live to see the day that we are a 17.5 point favorite over Nebraska. Better get my ice skates ready for H E Double Hockey sticks.

Michael Leiker 13 years, 5 months ago

Not going to defend it. Maybe the Theisman thing was a little much.

If you moved up here, you might somewhat understand. I just want KU to annihilate them. I think they have it coming.

bmcmich1 13 years, 5 months ago

I'm not going to even try to understand what it's like to have grown up or currently live in Nebraska so I'm not going to pass judgment on those who are truly out for blood on saturday. I sat through many trouncings at the hands of the 'Huskers and I will agree that their fan base is by and large obnoxious to the 'Nth' degree (no pun intended), but it's like Jimmy Johnson said in one of the greatest football quotes of all time. When questioned after a royal beating put down by one of his Miami U. teams if he ran up the score, he replied "it's not my fault their team sucks." I find that quote absolutely hilarious and TRUE. It wasn't Nebraskas fault that they had superior players for so many years, just like it won't be our fault on saturday if we lay 70+ on 'em. The tables have turned and how sweet it is to see the Nebra$$holes eat some humble pie, but I can't say that I want to see any of them gruesomely injured on Sat. I do, however, want to see the look of someone who has been completely and utterly whupped on each of their faces.

Greg Woolen 13 years, 5 months ago

My overall opinion of aTm fans is a pleasant one. I didn't meet one fan at the game that was mean spirited or demeaning to me as a Kansas fan. They were very complimentary of our team and were gracious in the loss (their opinon seems to be that the more losses = more nails in Coach Fran's coffin).
The streak is over with Nebraska and being 17 point favorites should be another game where the players, students, and fans should feel happy if they win, but shouldn't act surprised when they do. Let's save storming the field for when we wrap up the Big XII north, or more.

bmcmich1 13 years, 5 months ago

You bring up a good point there, wooley--I will be extremely disappointed if I see any field storming on Saturday. Nebraska, regardless of the past, is just another team we're supposed to beat this year. Nothing field-storm worthy about a W over them this year.

okjhok 13 years, 5 months ago

This is clearly a case where not storming the field would make a bigger statement than storming it would. Nov 10 network TV, baby!

William James 13 years, 5 months ago

Dont worry, we wont be storming the field after this blowout. Maybe some of our students will stay after halftime though. Im keeping my fingers crossed.

Marcia Parsons 13 years, 5 months ago

Did you hear the Pod Casters when the guest was a former football player (Budde)? Funny guy. He was on one of those teams that had the score run up on them, and his feeling was that he hoped that we scored again in the last few seconds and went for two. He said the only reason we shouldn't go for two was if we had a chance to go for three.

seattlehawk_78 13 years, 5 months ago

Navy, while I agree in general with your statement I have to take exception to the integrity claim in regards with TO. On more than one occasion he has suited up players who had no business being on scholarship. Sure, he was a good coach but I'm quite certain his application for sainthood was denied.

CasperCorps 13 years, 5 months ago

Nebraska has has this game circled on their calender all year.. They want revenge for the last beating they took when they were here.. They said they over looked us last time.... And don't worry we will run the score up on them.. Oh yes... Rockem Hawks!!!

actorman 13 years, 5 months ago

Well said, Seattle. Navy, I have NO idea who this "everyone" is that you speak of, but it's pretty much universally acknowledged that the way TO finally got his national championships was by recruiting thugs and looking the other way as Lawrence Phillips, Christian Peter, et al. proved just how thuggish they were. And that doesn't even count all the times he ran up the score, such as the game I was at where NU was up 33-0 in the second quarter and went for two. So you are completely delusional if you say that Osborne did things the right way and had integrity. My only regret about this week's stomping is that it won't be against an Osborne-coached team.

bmcmich1 13 years, 5 months ago

Oh, but he'll most likely be there. Next best thing

thjhawk 13 years, 5 months ago

Please Jayhawk fans. I will be watching this game from my, hopefully temporary home in Tennessee, do not rush the field. Looking forward to a great show. Rock Chalk forever!

Chris Bohling 13 years, 5 months ago

If we play for the whole game like we did in the third quarter against A&M, we will easily hang 70 on them. And it still wouldn't be reason for rushing the field.

With regards to "running up the score" - our second-stringers still managed to run up the score against Baylor.

JBurtin 13 years, 5 months ago

Don't worry, everyone expects to beat the skers this year. Nobody is going to rush the field to celebrate a victory over a 4-5 team.