Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Short on shortcomings

Quarterbacks not prototypical - just productive

Missouri quarterback Chase Daniel (10) looks for a receiver against Kansas State. Daniel, 6-foot on a good day, and Kansas University's Todd Reesing, listed at 5-foot-10, did not receive recruiting interest from football powerhouses in their home state of Texas. Now both are Heisman Trophy contenders.

Videos

The Border War 2007

video thumbnail

¢ 6Sports video: Beaten but still in top 5<br /> ¢ 6News video: Fans cheer on Hawks from Lawrence<br /> ¢ 6News video: Crowds brave cold for ESPN's Gameday<br /> ¢ 6News video: Broken dreams<br />

Reader poll

Personnel-wise, who do you think creates the the biggest matchup problem for KU's defense?

• QB Chase Daniel 35% 1656 votes
  • RB Tony Temple 1% 72 votes
  • TE Martin Rucker 9% 463 votes
  • TE Chase Coffman 6% 289 votes
  • Do-it-all Jeremy Maclin 44% 2045 votes
  • Someone else 2% 114 votes

4639 total votes.

Missouri University quarterback Chase Daniel was in Columbia, Mo., on an unofficial visit while in high school, when he stopped at an ice cream shop to satisfy his sweet tooth.

"Right when we were leaving, someone said, 'Beat KU all four years you're here, and we'll still love you no matter the outcome.'" Daniel recalled with a laugh.

No word on if the fan added, "By the way, where's the rest of you?"

The rest never came to be. Daniel might hit 6-foot after a good stretching session, yet he will be the tallest quarterback on the field when No. 2 Kansas University and No. 3 Missouri play the anticipated Border War game Saturday in Kansas City, Mo.

That's because KU quarterback Todd Reesing is just 5-10, a good five inches shorter than what's considered prototypical.

Those precious inches prevented the two - both native Texans with sparkling high school careers - from being offered by local schools like Texas, the big dog in the Lone Star State.

Whether it was spelled out specifically for them didn't matter. Both Daniel and Reesing knew what was holding back the interest - a tape measure.

"There weren't a lot of people beating down my doors asking me to come play football for them," Reesing said.

Could've fooled about anyone these days. Wonder how both Missouri and Kansas have itty-bitty numbers next to their names in the Top 25 polls? It's in big part because of those itty-bitty quarterbacks under center.

Reesing has thrown for 2,910 yards with 30 touchdowns and four interceptions this season. Daniel has 3,590 yards with 30 touchdowns and nine picks. Both are Heisman Trophy candidates, and Saturday's game obviously is the biggest stage yet to flash their credentials.

Kansas State coach Ron Prince, whose quarterback stands 6-6, has seen both Reesing and Daniel beat his team this season.

"I think one of the things that's really happened in college football, which is really exciting right now, is that you just don't have to do it the same way as everybody else," Prince said. "The thing that Reesing and Daniel both have in common is that they're phenomenal players who experienced a tremendous amount of success winning in high school, in programs that were very structured. They had a chance to compete and be really well-coached."

Daniel was a Parade All-American in high school at vaunted Southlake Carroll High in the Dallas Metroplex. Reesing, down I-35 in Lake Travis, Texas, was the 4A state player of the year as a junior.

Prior to his senior season, Reesing made an unofficial visit to Lawrence to meet coach Mark Mangino and his staff.

"The coaches said, 'What do you think?'" Mangino recalls. "I said, 'He's small, but I still like him. We're going to offer him.'"

Mangino took a leap that too many coaches were nervous about taking. The question is: Will that gamble - which obviously paid off - cause others to get similar courage down the road?

"Maybe coaches will now look at it a little bit different," MU coach Gary Pinkel said. "I always thought around the 6-foot mark is where you want to be. The biggest thing is that a quarterback has to be able to see and have a high enough release to where it's not a factor.

"Without question, not only will kids look at this and say 'I've got opportunities out there' from watching these quarterbacks. But also, coaches might reconsider themselves."

So call Saturday's Border War game - however it turns out - a victory for the little guys. At the same time, consider the two's recruitment proof that the work continues to be cut out for the ones who don't exactly fit the part.

"Nowadays, the 6-5 guy has to show that he can't play. The 6-foot guy has to show he can," Daniel said. "I think it's a little bit overrated. No matter how tall you are, no matter what type of arm you have, if you're a great football player and you prepare well, height shouldn't matter."

Comments

sevenyearhawk 7 years ago

Arrowhead is going to be like Thunderdome on Saturday:

"Two teams enter, one team leaves!!"

HawkDigestCom 7 years ago

Get that photo of their booger-powered quarterback off of the front page. That's the last thing I need to wake up to in the morning.

kltbadboyz 7 years ago

U think that ice cream shop has booger flavored ice cream? haha i heard he keeps booger flavored jelly beans in his pockets.

7 years ago

"Thunderdome. How do I get there?"

"That's easy. Pick a fight!"

KU 7 years ago

Grace (secretary to Ed the principal about Todd Reesing): "Oh, he's very popular Ed. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude." --from Ferris Bueller's Day Off

jhawks 7 years ago

Thunderdome???

Will Tina Turner sing at halftime?

bmcmich1 7 years ago

WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER HEEEERROOOO!!!

seattlehawk_78 7 years ago

The height thing is overrated at the college level. With the spread offense you don't have to sit in the pocket like Tom Brady and pass the ball within 2.5 seconds or less. I don't now how many Todd Reesing's are out there but I wouldn't hesitate to recruit another one like him. What he lacks in height is more than compensated for in poise and intelligence.

KUglow 7 years ago

Just saw on cbssportsline CFB page that their countdown clock shows time left to...

KU vs MU

This whole season is just so surreal. It still is just unbelievable that we are playing in the biggest game of the year. What a ride.

bmcmich1 7 years ago

I agree, never in a million years would I have ever thought this would be happening. Folks, we are living a dream--there are very few fans that get to experience this! I suggest everyone should relish every moment.

The best thing?? It's not over yet!!

Christian Hinton 7 years ago

Love the Ferris Bueller quote, but the first thought that came to my head was:

"This...is...LAWRENCE!" (or Sparta, I suppose.)

"Tonight we dine in hell!" (or Kansas City.)

Mike Crosbie 7 years ago

Sorry time to vent. I've heard and read a lot about lost revenues by moving the game to KC and there is one thing I haven't heard anyone talk about so here it goes... LOOK AT THE SCHEDULES:

2006- 7 games in Lawrence 2007- 7 games in Lawrence 2008- 7 games in Lawrence

Now, can anybody explain to me why there are lost revenues for anyone?????? Maybe I'm an idiot, but it seems like the city and merchants are getting the same as they do every year. What I haven't heard is how great the athletic department is by keeping our normal 7 games in Lawrence and reaping additional benefits for EVERYONE by having the biggest game of the year in the biggest venue possible. Lew Perkins has pulled of a great thing for all of us. So if anyone wants to say a word about lost revenues, talk instead about how great our athletic department is. Rock Chalk Beat mu !!!!!!!

killabees 7 years ago

WEEK TEN... of my quest to guess which unbeaten team loses this week. We're down to 2, Hawaii, and of course, Kansas.

Both face their stiffest test of the season, Boise State and Missouri (respectively, in case you weren't sure who KU plays this week).

Only one will survive! Which will it be? Find out after the break.

killabees 7 years ago

AND... we're back.

Hawaii loses. Loses hard.

KU remains the last unbeaten team in the nation.

That is all

oldrocker 7 years ago

Reesing: "Tell Chase Daniel that I'm coming to Kansas City...and Hell's coming with me!"

tis4tim 7 years ago

Rowdy Toddy Reesing: "I'm here to kick some [Tiger] ass and chew some bubblegum...and I'm all out of bubblegum."

100 7 years ago

Chase Daniel is a superb quarterback for MU. Surely, his gamefilm is being studied over and over by KU cornerbacks and safety. Prepare, RESPECT, and overprepare. Have a blast on Saturday, KU DEFENSE!!! We're all proud as can be of you guys! ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!

KU 7 years ago

I'm more than a little nervous about having Resby and Harper injured in the defensive backfield. We need all the nickel coverage guys we can get Saturday.

As it stands, I hear the true Freshman, Phillip Strozier out of Rockhurt will be the third CB. GULP. Make us proud, Phillip!

KU 7 years ago

Correction: Strozier is a redshirt freshman. Makes me feel a little better.

DCSven 7 years ago

If you haven't seen it yet, CBS Sports line has a message board up, "Why I HATE Mizzery/LOVE Kansas" ... of course its possible for people to flip that, I just can't imagine why anyone would.

Here's the link http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/messages/chrono/4885419

My reason: I love Kansas because the Jayhawks are undefeated in Football, Basketball and Civil Wars!!!!

oldrocker 7 years ago

Daniel: "My name is Chase...but if any of you Jayhawks call me Chase...I'll kill ya!"

Reesing: "Lighten up, Chase."

jprich 7 years ago

Not to nit-pik, but I just read an eerily similar article by Pat Forde on ESPN.com only days ago.

scootja32 7 years ago

KU is on the cover of SI this time for real

Here's a link to the front page. Click on it and u get the article, don't even have to buy the mag.

scootja32 7 years ago

2 and on the cover of SI. Talk about piling it on. If we win, they've gotta believe.

100 7 years ago

Hype, Shmype. Good job to KU. However, we, the KU fans, the KU players, and the KU coaches have one thing to put our energy into right now. And it's not Sports Illustrated covers. Our collective energy needs to be on: a very solid football team who is 10-1 right now, called the Missouri Tigers. Help keep our players focused! We've gotta prepare, respect, overprepare, and root our tails off. Win or Lose, we have a lot to be proud of, as does Missouri. ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!

scootja32 7 years ago

I think the players will be fine. I'll focus on and be part of the hype.

shelleysue 7 years ago

HAVE YOU HEARD THE HAWKSTAR SONG? I LOVE IT. CLASSIC.

pmohr13 7 years ago

i was posting that song on some of the other pages. here is the link if you haven't heard it http://www.lazer.com/downloads/HawkStar(full).mp3

actorman 7 years ago

The link cuts off. Can you post the complete link?