Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Perkins not expecting Mangino to leave

KU AD thinks coach will stay after big year

Videos

The Border War 2007

video thumbnail

¢ 6Sports video: Beaten but still in top 5<br /> ¢ 6News video: Fans cheer on Hawks from Lawrence<br /> ¢ 6News video: Crowds brave cold for ESPN's Gameday<br /> ¢ 6News video: Broken dreams<br />

Reader poll

Personnel-wise, who do you think creates the the biggest matchup problem for KU's defense?

• QB Chase Daniel 35% 1656 votes
  • RB Tony Temple 1% 72 votes
  • TE Martin Rucker 9% 463 votes
  • TE Chase Coffman 6% 289 votes
  • Do-it-all Jeremy Maclin 44% 2045 votes
  • Someone else 2% 114 votes

4639 total votes.

Coming Wednesday

Former Kansas University athletic director Al Bohl, who hired Mark Mangino at Kansas and Gary Pinkel at Toledo, discusses why he thought both men would make successful head coaches.

A glance at the Associated Press Top 25 rankings is all that's necessary to validate Lew Perkins' ability to hire a winning football coach.

Perkins was the athletic director at University of Connecticut when the time came to find the right coach to bring the school from the less competitive Division 1-AA to Division 1-A. He hired Randy Edsall, whose Huskies are ranked 20th in the nation.

Don't count Perkins among those worried that he'll need to try to repeat his hiring success any time soon.

Typically, when a school not known for its football tradition has a break-out season, such as the one Kansas University is having under sixth-year coach Mark Mangino, the coach's name surfaces as a candidate for a more prestigious job.

Will Kansas be able to keep Mangino, whose Jayhawks are ranked second in the country and take an 11-0 record into Saturday's rivalry game against Missouri at Arrowhead Stadium?

"Keep Mark?" Perkins echoed. "We hope so. We love Mark, and I think he likes it here, too. I think the one thing Mark realizes is we showed confidence in him, personally and professionally, when everyone was saying this is not good. We said this is good. We stood behind him."

The athletic department did so by rewarding Mangino with a new contract heading into the start of the 2006 season that raised Mangino's guaranteed income from $610,000 per year to $1.5 million per, when his record at Kansas was 19-29, thanks largely to a 2-10 first season.

"Why is it as soon as one guy wins games it's, 'He's going to leave Kansas?"' Perkins asked. "Why is he going to leave Kansas? He's 11-0. We've got a great facility (on the way). Why do people have him leaving Kansas? That's what happened previously. Why leave? It's a great place. It's a great university. It's a great place to coach football. It's a great place to coach basketball. Now if Ohio State, or Michigan or Notre Dame were interested, I would understand if he would look at it. After that, I'm not quite sure why he would look at anything."

A native of New Castle, Pa., Penn State might appeal to Mangino if it were to come open, but not necessarily as much as KU appeals to him, considering his family is entrenched in the Lawrence area, and considering the new football complex is set to open next year.

Coming into this season, the issue was more whether Mangino could endure another 6-6 season than it was whether a traditional football power would try to steal him from Kansas.

Perkins was asked: Did Mangino have to do it this season to keep his job?

"I don't think he had to do it," Perkins said. "Did he have to be 11-0? Of course not. Mark and I both said we don't want to be mediocre anymore. We weren't afraid to say that. I think that was what people couldn't understand. We said that's not good enough for Kansas. We said it. He's obviously gone out and done it."

Mangino has a 36-35 record at KU. The last football coach with a winning KU career record, Jack Mitchell, last coached at the school in 1966.

Until a house was constructed between their homes, Mangino and Perkins were next-door neighbors. Still, from the day Perkins was hired, whispers about their relationship made their way to Perkins' ears.

"When I first got here everybody said, 'You're going to fire your football coach. He's not my guy.' Bill Self was already hired when I came here, too. Mark's my guy," Perkins said. "We gave him a five-year deal. Why do people say that? Why did people say he's not my kind of guy? The easy thing to do is fire people. The hard thing is to stay with people. If you're going to stay with someone, you've got to give them the tools to be successful. And the one thing Mark said to us is I need a facility. They've been talking about a facility for 50 years. Exaggeration, but Glen Mason was talking about it. Terry Allen talked about it. Well, let's go build a facility. Enough talk. Let's go get it done. And that's what we did."

Asked to compare the revival of the KU football program to the rise of UConn's, Perkins said: "I think obviously there is more history and tradition here, much more, playing the Big 8 and the Big 12, and we've had great players here and played against great players, but probably the biggest similarity we had to overcome at Connecticut and we had to overcome here - and I think we have overcome it at both schools - is 'Oh, you're a basketball school.'

"There is no such thing as basketball schools. We're athletic programs. When I came here and when I was at Connecticut, we talked about being very good at everything. I kept saying to people, 'Why do we have to be just a basketball school? Why can't we be a football school, a golf school? We're an athletic program.' At Connecticut, we had won 64 conference championships in all kinds of sports. We need to do that here at Kansas. There was no reason why our football program couldn't compete and win at the highest level. We were competing at the highest level because of our conference, but why can't we compete and win?"

Now that Mangino, hired by Al Bohl and extended by Perkins, has KU ranked second in the nation, the question no longer has to be asked.

"Obviously, we had a lot of confidence in Mark last year," Perkins said. "That's why we gave him that contract. I really believe in studying history and tradition. Every time there was a problem here it was, 'Get rid of the coach.' That's not the problem. We had all kinds of other things we had to overcome. 'Get rid of the coach' doesn't solve the problem. We have to get a facility. We have to sell tickets. We've got to promote the program, and we've got to say it's OK to let him go coach. We saw what he was doing the last couple of years."

Mangino was doing the same thing then that he's doing now: Sawing wood. He's one stroke away from winning the Big 12 North title outright, two strokes from a Big 12 championship, three strokes from a national championship.

Comments

Kevin Long 7 years ago

One hell of a coach. One hell of an athletic director. We are lucky fans.

Michael Leiker 7 years ago

Anybody see Lew on the Deuce last night? He had kind of an interesting technicque for eating popcorn. Basically sticking his face in the tub and sucking it out. Pretty funny.

When they put that guy on TV, he just looks like a big time athletic director. It's a good face for KU. And I love his attitude about why would anyone want to leave KS. Can you imagine what it's going to look like down there next year w/the hill, practice fields, football offices....only a matter of time before that north bowl gets a 2nd level!!

TaCityHawkFan 7 years ago

A lot of people were skeptical. I always personally felt like he was doing good things here, but I was skeptical. I wondered whether he could get us over that hump. I am glad that he has experienced this kind of success this season for him, for the university, for the players, fans and alumni.

Good Job, coach Mangino! Keep it going here, make your mark at Kansas University!

KU 7 years ago

I'd rather see them put a 2nd deck on the east stands than the north endzone......Much better site lines. Plus, the north exterior has a nice look and there's not much room to push the stadium north unless you take out that street. The east stadium's exterior is nothing to write home about. It would be great to see them add a 2nd deck and build the exterior to match the west stadium.

troutsee 7 years ago

I have been a Mangino fan from the get-go. He learned from the best, Bill Snyder. This Kansas team looks very much like Snyder's teams. No big star....just a well-coached, well-disciplined team. Obviously, much time has been spent on detail and it is the attention to detail that lets a program with 2 and 3 star recruits beat teams with 4 and 5 star recruits. Hats off to Mangino and our entire coaching staff. We will once again win as a team this Saturday. KU by 5-10.

7 years ago

As fans, one of the first things we need to do is stop wearing the derogatory shirts referencing Coach Mangino. I sincerely believe he does not find them amusing. If we want him to respect us as fans and a school worth coaching at for many years to come, we need to show him respect as well.

63BC 7 years ago

Just remember, when the gun sounds and the boys are 12-0, somebody pick up the fat man!

jayharchitect 7 years ago

KU.... I aggree. Keep the north facade clear, (could add a few box seets at the top maybe, though this might cause problems with the ring of honor). If I am not mistaken they also structured the addition on the west side to handle another level. Though not that old, I think our press box could use a facelift...

7 years ago

It's good to see 63IQ gets it.

chezlog 7 years ago

Expand the stadium by lowering the field (a bit like Folsom Field.) Build seating down to the field using the space now wasted by the running track. Track events are a great Kansas tradition but they can easily be moved out of the stadium.

Nutflush21 7 years ago

Until we can prove that we can fill Memorial to capacity, we will not be adding any seats. We didnt sell out the ISU game until 3 days before kickoff and we are in the midst of our greatest season EVER! So dont plan on stadium expansion any time soon.

Kyle Cornish 7 years ago

I don't think a stadium expansion is coming anytime close to soon... We barely sold out a Senior Day game when we were No. 2 in the country... We will have to have season long sellouts for about 6-10 straight years before they consider adding on to the stadium. It would be ridiculous to add on... We make it a 65,000 seat place and have 30,000 for a non-con game... That would be idiotic!

ryanm1988 7 years ago

Mangino disrespects himself by not showing the discipline to push away from the table. (the same type of discipline he demands of his players) He has a state of the art fitness facility at his disposal. The jokes will continue until he takes it seriously.

seattlehawk_78 7 years ago

He got a contract extension, we're building the facilities he wanted and this is HIS program. Comparatively speaking, being the head coach at KU football is a lot less stressful than being the head coach at one of the aforementioned schools.

7 years ago

Good point ryanm, but the hurtful jokes are not deserved - - especially from his own fans. Rumor has it he will be committing to an effort at the end of the season to lose some serious weight.

Regarding the stadium expansion, the removal of the track and lowering of the stands is a great idea, but we would more than likely have to build another track facility first. Like the last two posts pointed out, we would have to do some consistent selling out before they would consider expansion.

STL_Jayhawk 7 years ago

Borrowing from previous ideas, I would like to see a combination of lowering the field, build a balcony on the East side with private suites underneath, improve the exterior facade of the East side. I would also like them to remove the scoreboard from the South end and replace it with a state-of-the-art video board on the North end. With the track gone, make the South end look like the grass comes down the hill and into the stadium unobstructed (along with a sidewalk for graduation).

Why build it? Because not building it says we don't believe that there will more of a demand for tickets in the future. I have faith that Mangino will fill the place and use that to get even more recruits. I am glad we are playing in front of 80,000 this week. But I would also like to see us play in front of 65-70K every game in Lawrence.

Way to go Coach Mangino! Glad to see we are stocked for next year as well. If you build it, we will come (and bring our wallets).

Coach, if I could ask a favor, running the score up this weekend will make coming to work in St. Louis even that more enjoyable on Monday.

RCJ

arvadajayhawk 7 years ago

I agree with chezlog. Get the fans (esp. the students) closer to the field. If the track was gone and the seats came down to the field, it would be much more imposing than it is now and the people in the bowl wouldn't be a quarter mile from the action.

Now doing that would be an engineering feat but Lew could raise the money to make it happen. (So long as he doesn't sustain an injury eating popcorn like he does... go get it Lew!)

Folsom is very imposing along the sidelines as there is about 10 feet maybe 15 from the wall to the sideline... they're right on top of the action.

seattlehawk_78 7 years ago

One observation I've made about Mangino is the margin of defeat was getting smaller with each season. He has continued that trend throughout his career and now those close losses are turning into W's. Look at the scores between KU and NU since he arrived and you'll see why breaking the most embarrassing streak in college football was inevitable. We may never be 11-0 again but if we can keep Mark I believe bowling will become an annual event.

Since everyone is making suggestions for stadium renovation here's my two cents. First and foremost, whatever they do please don't build an off campus facility like the one built in Manhattan. They may have enjoyed a lot of success at K-State during the Snyder years but that facility has all the ambience of a 7-Eleven. Memorial Stadium is the perfect location to play football and looking up the hill with the campanile and campus in the background is an awesome site. I would remove the scoreboard completely to open up the view or make it smaller. The video screen just looks out of place in a college setting. Try one of the traditional score boards where the numbers are placed manually into position. If we removed the track and lowered the field then quite few seats could be added as well as adding a second deck to the north end. I just hope they don't do something that ruins the ambience like when they built Wescoe.

Brandon Snook 7 years ago

I never disliked Al Bohl. He came in here, took control, and fired a terrible football coach. Roy Williams didn't like having to answer to anyone, especially his "boss", so he got him fired (and then he bolted).

KU at that point could have totally tanked. We hired Bill Self without an AD, and we were lucky to get him. Bohl was smart to take a chance on Mangino, and time has paid off.

I really like Lew now. A lot of people were angry with him moving around season tickets at AFH and Memorial Stadium and him calling the stadium Kivisto Field...but Lew wasn't hired to maintain the status quo. We're putting more butts in seats, we're winning games, building new facilities, and making money!

All hail Lew!

Mangino_Maniac 7 years ago

As my username implies, I'm a huge fan of Coach Mangino... and from a long time ago too! (I registered on here a number of years ago). There is a great thing going on here with KU football, and I see more great years ahead with Coach Mangino leading the way.

speedy 7 years ago

i wonder where you idots have been hiding! you name me 10 great football players that played for ku and i,ll name you 10 olympic champions that ran track and field at ku. leave the track alone!!! runners have just as much right to their space as football. now can you guess which sport i did??? bet i can still beat most of you @ a 10k come up with a few bucks and build a NEW stadium. and while you are at it tear down the scoreboard so the hill people can watch.

FlaHawk 7 years ago

It would be cheaper to remove the track and build a new Track stadium that add decks by far. However, you don't really increase revenues like you can with private boxes.

I don;t think KU has a geographic pull to get more than another 10K to attend games, without a 10-15 year NU type run.

Lew has a difficult choice and I expect that they will take another 1-2 years to determine what long term course the KU football program takes. They have a lot in the pipeline already for capital funding. If Coach Mangino hangs around then I think expansion is a logical choice.

speedy 7 years ago

build a new t& f stadium??? i seem to remember seein huge crowds at the relays back in the 50,s and early 60,s the stadium was full.

halogenlamps 7 years ago

To tell you the truth, I was much more encouraged by the hiring of Mangino than the hiring of Bill Self.

Self proved himself as a just-above-mediocre coach at Illinois. He won some games, but not that many. Now, at Kansas, Self is winning some regular season games, but that's about it.

Mangino, on the other hand, was an assistant to some very outstanding prgorams. I was ecstatic beyong measure when he was hired.

I say get rid of Self and get an assistant from somewhere. I know it is a risk to do that, i.e. Quinn Snyder, but the most success we have had is by hiring assistants--Roy Williams and Mark Mangino.

Go on, hit me with your best shot.

speedy 7 years ago

ok now for a cheaper solution to more seats. lower the track but put in removable sections for t&f events. t&f does not need the track in the fall. now what do you think???

Kevin Long 7 years ago

The track around the field is retarded! Nobody else has that anymore. Why do we?

DBK 7 years ago

I agree. That stadium in Stillwater has seat that look like they're RIGHT ON TOP of the field, and when they finish that bowl, that will be a very loud, intimidating place to play.

Jeff Kilgore 7 years ago

Leave Self alone. My God! He won 78% of his games in the Big 10. Halogenlamps, get out of the light! You can't handle the truth! Just how spoiled are you? Elite 8s? Sweet 16s? Man, there are only about 11 coaches in the Big XII that would LOVE to see Self leave. Do you not count Big XII championships with starting freshman as winning big games? Get out of here.

seattlehawk_78 7 years ago

Good point flahawk. Realistically, how many more fans can we expect even if this program is running on all cylinders? Last weeks game might be an indication that we can't support expansion but if we do expand Memorial it seems the easiest, cheapest and less intrusive plan would be to close in the north end.

Speedy, right off the bat I can only think of Jim Ryun, Wes Santee, Al Oerter, and Billy Mills. Who am I leaving off the list?

Alan Halvorsen 7 years ago

Everyone was saying it, over and over again at the end of last year. All I ever heard was, "Fire Mangino. We have to do it now before it's too late"! Some people even had lists of possible replacements for coach. People, were saying, "Oh we lost Cornish and we lost our offensive line, we will be 4-8." I stood up for the man here on the blogs. I was in the minority!

Dirk Medema 7 years ago

"There is no such thing as basketball schools. We're athletic programs. When I came here and when I was at Connecticut, we talked about being very good at everything. I kept saying to people, 'Why do we have to be just a basketball school? Why can't we be a football school, a golf school? We're an athletic program."

That athletic program includes a track & field team with great tradition. Kicking the T&F team out of the Stadium would be a matter of saying that KU is a football/basketball school that allows other teams to exist in their shadow.

I also realize that football (& to a lesser degree Basketball) pays the bills, but "We are an athletic program."

Speedy - Others have made the suggestion over the years to lower the track, but essentially what this does is block half the competition from the spectators. To get the idea, try taping paper over half the TV screen to start the game Saturday.

Gary McCullough 7 years ago

Cast a ballot for coach of the year for Mangino at

www.coachoftheyear.com

wats211 7 years ago

I AM A LIFELONG JAYHAWK...I HAVE SUFFERED MANY PAINFUL SEASONS...NOLAN CROMWELLS 1975 CLUB WAS THE LAST TEAM WE WERE ALL PASSIONATE ABOUT....WE WERE ALL SCEPTICAL OF MR. MANGINO...THATS HUMAN NATURE...BUT THE BOTTOMLINE IS...WE ARE ALL FINALLY PASSIONATE AGAIN...IT FEELS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....AS FOR ADDING SEATING...LETS SELLOUT CONSISTENTLY FOR A FEW YEARS FIRST....OUR STADIUM IS JUST LIKE THE FIELDHOUSE...A RELIC...WE MUST PRESERVE THE TRADITION AND THE FACADE...NO NORTH BOWL EXTENSIONS...PERIOD....ACTUALLY 50,000 SEATS IS PLENTY

Jeff Kilgore 7 years ago

Excellent memories, thanks, wats211! Yes, I remember too as a freshman in high school listening on the radio to Cromwell beat OU in '75. My heart was beating a mile a minute. We are there again and should be really fun to watch in 08. Put the scoreboard just above the north rim, get the view of the awesome hill, wait and see what the indoor building gives us, and, if we have to build on, then add to every side except the south!

seattlehawk_78 7 years ago

Good idea on the scoreboard jkilgore.

I remember that OU game and that incredible wishbone offense. I never got over the Ransom Ramblers injury the following season as it ended what up until now was the best KU team I ever witnessed.