Kansas defeats Towson, 100-54

• 7 p.m., Nov. 11, 2011
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Trouble, double: Thomas Robinson doubles up despite fouls

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson tries to hook a shot under the bucket amidst the Towson defense during the second half on Friday, Nov. 11, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Videos

KU vs. Towson

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Towson, 100-54, Friday, Nov. 11, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 100-54 victory over Towson on Nov. 11, 2011.

Download podcast

Thomas Robinson’s 18 points and 11 rebounds stood out on the postgame stat sheet Friday night.

Yet in actuality. ...

“He got numbers, but those numbers aren’t real,” Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self said after his Jayhawks’ 100-54 season-opening rout of Towson in Allen Fieldhouse. “Thomas didn’t play tonight like he’s capable of playing. He played his man after he caught it. A good player is going to foul his butt out fast.”

Just like his coach, All-America candidate Robinson — who finished with those All-America numbers — was alarmed that he picked up his second foul just four minutes into the game.

Sitting for a prolonged period explains KU’s getting outrebounded by Towson, 17-10, the first half and 35-32 for the game.

“I’m disappointed in this game, actually,” the 6-foot-10 Robinson said. “I think I waited too long to start playing. I picked up two dumb fouls. It wasn’t a good game for me at all. I allowed my team to get outrebounded. I wasn’t able to be out there to get to the boards.”

Robinson finished the first half with one rebound and nine points in 13 minutes. He rallied for 10 points and nine boards in 12 minutes the second half.

“Our two guys (Jeff Withey, Robinson) only combined for one rebound in the first half in 22 minutes — give me a break — when their big guys combined for nine,” Self said. “We have to do a much better job. Travis (Releford) isn’t on the glass at all. That’s something we can emphasize and do a better job with.”

Junior center Withey, who had no points, no rebounds and two fouls the first half (KU still led, 53-29 at the break), did finish with 10 points, four boards and three blocks. Junior forward Releford, who hit four of six shots for 12 points with one board the first half, finished with 14 points and the one rebound.

“I take full accountability,” Robinson said of the glass-work. “That’s why the stats don’t matter. It was a bad game for me.”

Considering the negatives, how did KU manage such a lopsided victory?

Well, the Jayhawks, who did receive seven rebounds and 13 points from junior forward Kevin Young, totaled 30 assists (most in the Bill Self era) against five turnovers.

KU’s five turnovers were the fewest since a five-bobble game against North Dakota State in the first round of the 2009 NCAA Tournament. The 30 assists were most since 32 versus UNC Asheville on Jan. 2, 2003.

KU had zero turnovers the second half.

Last time the team pitched a turnover shutout was against Oklahoma on Feb. 27, 2010, in Allen.

“I do think our team historically has moved the ball well,” said Self, whose team ran the floor fast and furious all evening with several rim-rattling dunks by Withey, Robinson, Young and others.

Noted Robinson: “We’ve been an athletic team the last couple years. Now it’s nothing but athletes on this team. As long as I’ve been here, we’ve been an unselfish team. The credit for that goes to coach Self. We get the ball to the third side, and whoever is open will take the shot. That’s coach Self right there.”

Self has no complaints about the athleticism on his roster.

“We have to be quicker to the ball and react quicker,” he said, “because we can put a pretty athletic team out there. We can probably be more athletic with this team than any team we’ve had, maybe even the ’08 team in a lot of spots.”

He also liked the production off the bench. Young had 13 points, Conner Teahan 11, Naadir Tharpe six and Justin Wesley six.

“Maybe we found we are not as thin depth-wise as we thought,” Self said. “You look down here (at stats) and see nine guys contributed well.”

KU will meet Kentucky at 8 p.m. (Central time) Tuesday in Madison Square Garden in New York.

Comments

ukanjhox 10 years, 6 months ago

Just scrolled through the photo gallery from the game and saw the pic of Landen Lucas. It looks like he had trimmed his list to 4 schools, not including KU, but added KU after we lost out on Tarc. I have a feeling he'll sign with KU after this weekend. The others on his list, before adding KU, are Cal, Stanford, Washington, and Tennessee. This impromptu visit to Lawrence is promising, especially since he said he's gonna sign in the early period. A solid 3 star at 6'10", 240. I'd take it.

Ron Franklin 10 years, 6 months ago

yes sir--when I think of people like Lucas, I'm reminded of what Danny & Bill did for Kahn & Darnell in 4 years.

dylans 10 years, 6 months ago

I was at the game and couldn't figure out who all the guys were behind the bench. I saw Cole, Xavier, McLemore, and Traylor, but didn't recognize the other person. Possibly recruits. Any help?

dylans 10 years, 6 months ago

Ellis also. Lucas was the guy in the shirt with a star. Who was wearing earbuds to his right?

Michael Auchard 10 years, 6 months ago

Coach Self's first quote in the article is dead on. Robinson can't use his hands like he did in this game.

Brad Avery 10 years, 6 months ago

In the second half, the "second unit," Tharpe, Young, Wesly, Teahan and Johnson, moved the ball better against their zone and showed more energy on defense than the first unit. This is a fun team to watch, especially when Tharpe is running the show. He was an excellent "find" on the part of the staff.

AsadZ 10 years, 6 months ago

I agree that 2nd unit played with much more intensity than the first unit in 2nd half. I was disappointed with TT. I have very high expectations from him but he did not show it last night. Hopefully he will get it. KY was a nice surprise as he had looked lost in exhibition games. Good to see improvement in Withey. He needs to play with anger. The more I see Tharpe more I like him. He can be a really great player at KU.

Looking forward to Tue game, got the tickets finally.

agraves 10 years, 6 months ago

Our passing looked better last night than I had seen in a long time. Last year it was emphasized to get the ball to Marcus and Kief (rightfully so) but last night seemed more balanced. 30 assists says something. And I thought we looked a lot better with Tharpe in the game as we did with Tyshawn. I know it was his first game of the year but I was pleasantly surprised how poised and smart Tharpe plays. Tyshawn better step up his game because it looks like their is guy behind him who wants his job!

Ron Franklin 10 years, 6 months ago

If Tharpe wasn't a defensive liablity at this point, I would say I prefer him on the floor vs Taylor. Tharpe has so much more self-control & mental focus and he also sees the floor (imho) much better than TT. But right now, Tharpe is easily taken off the dribble and that alone will keep him behind Taylor.

Ron Franklin 10 years, 6 months ago

Thomas is showing off his action figure physique in the above photo--talk about definition!

ku1otaku 10 years, 6 months ago

Higher level than the last two "one & dones"??? Give me a break! I understand the frustration towards Selby...but I really wish people would quit bagging on Xavier Henry. The guy had a great freshmen year at KU. The only disappointment was that he flamed out against UNI and he left when he probably wanted to stay. Get over it.

ku1otaku 10 years, 6 months ago

Joe Baker 10 years, 6 months ago

Looking ahead , I see uk struggling with youth and inexperience. I think they play well but come up short against KU. Self will out coach Cal yet once again. TT/Lamb - TT edge EJ/Teague - EJ bigger edge Rel/Jones - This is the challenge. Rel is a 4yr Junior and give him the edge against Jones. Young may step up at this point to help Rel limit Jones. Gilchrest could give them some help. Cal may start Gilchrest at the 3 and Jones at the 4. TRob/Miller - TRob will have to rely on his smarts, not his talent against MIller. He can play well but Miller has as much experience. I give TRob the edge on the inside game. I see uk switching on D putting a big on TRob, like Davis or Vargas. Wiltjer is a quiet producer and can score too. He's not too athletic or flashy but does the job. Withey/Vargas or Davis - Withey will have to play within himself. He can take both players with his talent and experience. Davis is inexperienced and will panic against a bigger opponent. Wesley will have to step up big for WIthey at the 5.

Miller and Jones are going to be a bit of a matchup issue with their ability to step outside. If I were Self, I would do what teams have done to us. Force uk to beat us from the outside and pack the bigs inside for rebounds. Let them shoot their trifectas. We've got to limit the second chances on the O-boards. They can't make all of them and KU needs to go right at their bigs inside on the O-end.

Many uk fans are worried about their experience factor. They believe KU will beat uk on experience in the end. Experience should be the biggest problem with a talented freshman recruiting class because they rely too much on skill. Skill at the D1 level will only take you so far. We know that from experience because were were much like uk prior to 08 and look at our history. In 06-07 we had some of the best players and came up short at times. I really don't think Lamb or Jones' soph status will make that much difference. Our freshmen phenoms were Juniors before we won the 08 NC. Our starting five have been together for 3-4 years too. This is uk's first year with a senior, sophs and mostly freshmen in the Garden. A big stage on national tv is a huge step from HS and your home court.

nuleafjhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

I think if T-Rob doesn't pursue an NBA career he could be the next Mr. Universe. Holy smokes.

Lance Hobson 10 years, 6 months ago

Man these guys look good, quite a pleasant surprise. Makes you wonder what would have happened if Elijah and TT had gotten all of Tyrel and Brady's minutes against VCU.

kennethst 10 years, 6 months ago

They looked great......but UK will be a completely different level.

Joe Baker 10 years, 6 months ago

The team that wins the boards will win the game. We know KU is capable of competing and winning the boards.

kennethst 10 years, 6 months ago

Last night's game reminded me of the Stars vs. the Globetrotters.

hawksfan08 10 years, 6 months ago

Did anyone else watch Releford's ability to score in the open court and cry at what should have been last year?

kennethst 10 years, 6 months ago

Releford was excellent and a bit of a surprise for me. As for last year......no tears from me. He was injured and missed so much time I think it hurt his ability. Plus Reed and Morningstar were great players. As far as the VCU game....it is what it is.

Jack Wilson 10 years, 6 months ago

Come on, Brady was a much better option. Brady could shoot the three. Hmm, but so can Releford. Brady could play D. But Releford was better. Brady could handle the ball. Uh, kind of. Brady didn't let the ball stick. Appears Releford doesn't either.

And that doesn't count everything else Releford (and EJ) brings to the table that Brady didn't, including the ability to create in the open floor and get to the hoop.

By the end of the season it will be even more apparent that the decision last year not to go to Releford, or even EJ, over Brady as far as PT was a complete disaster. Still frustrating.

Though I realize that there is no way to "prove" it, I am completely convinced that if Self gave EJ Brady's minutes in 2009-10, we don't lose to UNI. Self played Brady crazy minutes leading up to the tournament (averaged nearly 28 minutes per game), then played him only 8 minutes in that game .. clearly because he lacked faith in him in that situation. A game where we needed another real option on offense. And history repeated itself. Vs. VCU, Brady played 27 minutes (now Self played him), but was 1-7 shooting and scored a whopping 2 points, never even getting to the free throw line. A complete failure by Brady to contribute anything .. when we needed it .. was obvious.

Many said that Brady would fail when needed, particularly against an athletic team. Not hard to predict. Particularly given the fact that he played a primary role in our tournament loss to Michigan St. in 2008-09, playing horrible defense and wasting 34 minutes on the court.

Oh yea, Brady brought "glue." That subjective term. The most subjective term to support Brady's receipt of 30 minutes a game. That "glue" was very apparent vs. UNI, and VCU, and Michigan St.

Boxscores for your enjoyment.

kennethst 10 years, 6 months ago

My.....you're quite bitter about Brady Morningstar, aren't you? What else do you blame him for? The high price of gasoline? The weather? The increase in your property tax?

So.....if KU would not have had Brady......we would be national champions the last 4 years in a row?

Brady was a good player. Deal with it.

We lost in the tournement. Deal with it.

Jack Wilson 10 years, 6 months ago

No, Brady has nothing to do with gasoline or property taxes, and I don't blame Brady for anything. He competed, and gave everything he had on the court.

It was coach Self's decision to give Brady primary minutes.

kennethst 10 years, 6 months ago

Ok....fair enough. Self makes few mistakes and that could have been one of them.....I agree. But nothing we can do about it now.

HawkKlaw 10 years, 6 months ago

Brady completely deserved the minutes he got last season. He did a little of everything on the court. I think everyone has forgotten that the reason why Releford didn't get a lot of minutes was because he was injured from January up to the tournament. It probably wouldn't have been wise to throw a guy into important tournament games when he hadn't played much the second half of the season. And Morningstar was just a more solid player than EJ last season, which is why he got more minutes.

Clearly, Self believed in Brady Morningstar. I really wish that we had beaten VCU too, but at this point I'm more concerned with this season than last season. It's a new day and KU is still one of the best programs in college basketball. RCJH!

Jack Wilson 10 years, 6 months ago

Releford was fine by late mid-February and should have been given big minutes to be ready.

Self said EJ was his best defender at one point. And EJ played solid.

The fact is, EJ's play proved Self's decision not to play him wrong.

Self played it safe with Brady. He made a big mistake.

HawkKlaw 10 years, 6 months ago

I recall Releford being injured the entire second half of the season. I remember reading that he was fine when the tournament started, but by then it's a little too late to start giving him minutes.

EJ played solid, but Brady was just more solid all-round. Better decision making, been in the program longer, did all the little things, etc.

Self is not a coach that plays it safe. He is out to win every game...and does that 84% if the time.

DDDHawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Did any of you see the clip on Sports Center this morning about our game last night? When they showed highlights, they mentioned that it was Elijah's first game since his suspension, then they said the same thing about THOMAS ROBINSON!!!!!! I sent an email to espn.com to their Corrections section, and told them they owe Thomas an apology. After all he has gone through the last year, the last thing he needs is something like that. I sent the comment before 5:00 am today, yet I still saw the same exact segment several hours later. If any of you know a quicker way to get word to ESPN the TV station, it would be great to let them know.

REHawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Makes one wonder just how many other screwups pop up on SportsCenter....

REHawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Makes one wonder just how many other screwups pop up on SportsCenter....

REHawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Sorry about the double post. Opening day of gunseason in the MO Ozarks; twitchy triggerfinger.

Kyle Sybesma 10 years, 6 months ago

Only 2 players returning with significant playing time last year and had no turnovers in the 2nd half. That's impressive. Well done HCBS to get these guys to mesh. I have low expectations for this season. All I wanted to see was us get better every game and the bar has been set high. I know it was Towson but I didn't see the mistakes you would expect from a new team.

Take notes Gill. This is how you coach.

Luan Do 10 years, 6 months ago

Looks like this year's team will be pretty weak in the frontcourt. Thomas Robinson isn't a scorer but a putback, defensive guy. No one else to help out but Jeff Withey, and he can't be relied on to play defense or score in big 12 games.