Saturday, November 12, 2011

Gary Bedore’s KU hoops notebook: UK next test for KU

Kansas guard Travis Releford is fouled as he goes up for a reverse layup against Towson during the first half on Friday, Nov. 11, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Videos

KU vs. Towson

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Towson, 100-54, Friday, Nov. 11, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 100-54 victory over Towson on Nov. 11, 2011.

Download podcast

Kansas University’s basketball team goes from playing Towson at home to Kentucky on Tuesday in Madison Square Garden in New York. Tipoff is 8 p.m. Central time.

“I think the biggest thing is, transition defense has to be great,” KU coach Bill Self said. “We have to handle pressure. (The Wildcats) are going to press. We have to attack pressure and score behind their pressure. We have to rebound the ball. We have to go after it like men. We’ll spend our entire next three days emphasizing that. I think we’ll play better as far as the intangible things.”

Career highs

Travis Releford had a career-high 14 points, Conner Teahan a career-best 11 points and Jeff Withey a career-high 10 points. ... Thomas Robinson had his sixth career double-double (18 points, 11 rebounds). He also was called for a double-technical, along with Towson’s Jervon Pressley. ... Teahan made three treys in a game for the third time in his career. ... Freshman Naadir Tharpe, junior Kevin Young and sophomore Justin Wesley went 7-for-7 combined from the field in the first half. ... Elijah Johnson had eight assists, most since a career-high nine against Alcorn State on Dec 2, 2009.

Winning ways

KU has won: 10 straight season openers, 20 of its last 21 season-opening games, 39 consecutive home openers and 43 consecutive home games versus nonconference teams.

Stats, facts

Self improved to 238-46 overall at KU and 445-151 overall as a head coach. KU is 130-7 in Allen under Self. ... KU is 2-0 versus Towson of the Colonial Athletic Association and 3-1 all-time versus the CAA. ... KU scored 100 points for the first time since scoring 103 against Missouri on Feb. 7, 2011. It marked the 105th time KU scored at least 100 points in a game and the 12th time under Self.

Comments

Alohahawk 10 years, 6 months ago

KU has the offensive horses. They just need to concentrate on blocking out when rebounding and not reaching in or fouling on the defensive end.

Only 5 turnovers this early in the season? And 31 assists? That is an almost unbelievable stat line.

Let's go Hawks. Just think of Madison Square Garden as an extension of the Phog on the East coast. It's time to let Kenstinky know what it's like to play in a real basketball game.

RCJHGKU!!!!!

Alohahawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Oops. Make that 30 assists. Different box scores at different web sites. I'll trust the one from this site.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 6 months ago

Warning to opponents: I would probably choose somebody other than T-Rob to get into a scuffle with..................just a thought.

FSUJHAWK 10 years, 6 months ago

Actually, knowing TR's foul disposition, Calamari and his thugs will attempt to press that big red button from the outset. Hopefully TR, EJ and TT will be men and brush off then squash the partial qualifiers from UKK like the cockaroaches they are.

RCJHKU!!!!

Darrel Stice 10 years, 6 months ago

I can't wait to see us take on Calisleezy and his Kensucky Mildcats! However, this is going to be a pressure-packed atmosphere against a very talented team, which is something this young team hasn't even come CLOSE to facing this year. I'm glad to see our early season schedule filled with some tougher opponents, as I know it'll make us grow up faster and make us better. As for this first road game, I for one am grateful it's on a neutral court!

RCJHGKU!!

gchawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Very good points about the tougher opponents and having to grow up faster, this is exactly what we need. In a lot of ways this team reminds me of our '88 team.

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 6 months ago

i would love to beat UK under the bright lights...this might be the best time of year to play them. should be a fun night.

Go Jayhawks!

Gordon Penny 10 years, 6 months ago

The craziest part of this article, to me, is that the Hawks have scored 100 or more points only 12 times in the Self era. Boy, it seemed like more than that, to me.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 6 months ago

How about a slap in the face by reality...if we play like this against UK we will get our breakfast, lunch and dinner handed to us.

This game at least highlighted all the areas KU needs to improve....some of them dramatically.

Can we do it by next week....I just don't know.

hawksfan08 10 years, 6 months ago

We were outrebounded 35-32. Kentucky outrebounded Marist 50 to 27. That's probably my area of greatest concern going in to Tuesday. I also think the depth that Self said is better than he thought will be exposed by their depth. I'm not sure Teahan will be able to guard anyone well enough to stay on the court, and Withey surely cannot keep up with Anthony Davis. My hope would be that we'd try a junk D like a triangle and 2 or box and 1 against a young team that doesn't shoot the 3 well, but Self will more likely use this as a teaching opportunity than try and get a W at all cost with a young team. Hope I'm wrong but I'm not counting on a W here.

Jayhawkintexas1973 10 years, 6 months ago

I'm not all that concerned about the rebounding, particularly against Towson State. I watched that game, and there were a lot of long rebounds because Towson made poor shooting decisions. UK isn't going to get those long, unearned rebounds. Yes, it was Towson, but KU closed the gap down the stretch by quite a bit. KU doesn't get many offensive rebounds because they shoot for a good percentage, and the other team gets more offensive rebounds when they shoot for poor percentages. This has played out repeatedly under Bill Self, because of the defensive pressure.

Kentucky will be forced into at least 20 TOs on Tuesday, and KU has the guys to score in transition, and the secondary break.

The butterflies in the stomach might show early against UK, but I do seem to remember in 2008 when all the experts were calling Kansas the overall number 4 seed, and they had won 18 straight to that point. I just don't know what they were thinking because when KU turned it on, they couldn't be stopped. After they beat Kansas State in Lawrence that year, I predicted that nobody could beat them, and nobody did. KU played 2 number 1 seeds straight for the title. I wonder how many times that's happened?

DaHugeness 10 years, 6 months ago

I'll be at MSG on tuesday night wearing my Paul Pierce #34. Let's do this!!!!

chriz 10 years, 6 months ago

I think we'll beat them by ten since we're playing then early. If we meet them in the tourney, they beat US by ten.

Jayhawkintexas1973 10 years, 6 months ago

This basketball team looks better than I expected. They are playing hard, and they are showing good chemistry. I think UK might underestimate them, and KU can certainly win the game Tuesday even if UK is focused.

I'd rather UK be focused and Kansas win, but if UK isn't focused and we win, we'll win by 30.

ku1otaku 10 years, 6 months ago

You guys have got to be kidding me...KU just beat up a really bad Towson team at AFH. We're about to play a really talented Kentucky team at MSG. Our boys better bring it or it is going to turn ugly real quick. I think our starting five will be fine, but our bench makes me nervous. With the exception of Tharpe that is. Teahan can hopefully hit the shots but his defense makes me nervous.

sebuffaloes01 10 years, 6 months ago

I feel a repeat of the KU vs Memphis game that took place in St Louis Area in 2009. 1 possession game that was in the 50s. Too many nerves for two young teams. Expect sloppy play on both sides.