Wednesday, December 7, 2011

KU’s Thomas Robinson ready for OSU’s Jared Sullinger

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson pumps his fist after a bucket by teammate Elijah Johnson against Long Beach State during the first half Tuesday, Dec. 6, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 88-80 victory over Long Beach State on Dec. 6, 2011.

Download podcast

Videos

KU vs. Long Beach State

video thumbnail

KU defeated Long Beach State, 88-80, on Tuesday, Dec. 6, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University forward Thomas Robinson was asked if his 26-point, 11-rebound performance against Long Beach State on Tuesday sent a message to Ohio State preseason All-America big man Jared Sullinger.

“I hope he got it,” Robinson said with a wide grin following KU’s 88-80 victory over LBSU. “But no, definitely, I’m not trying to start anything with that. But speaking of that, Sullinger’s a good player. I know he’s going to be ready Saturday. Message or no message, he’s going to come ready to play.”

The Jayhawks will play host to the No. 2 Buckeyes at 2:15 p.m. Saturday on ESPN.

Before getting there, though, Robinson played a big part in assuring that KU didn’t have a letdown against LBSU.

The 6-foot-10 junior was a perfect 8-for-8 from the floor in the first half, racking up 18 points and six rebounds.

Many of his twos came on mid-range jumpers — an area he focused on in the offseason.

“As much as I worked on (my shot), I’m going to be honest with myself: Don’t expect me to come out 7-for-7 every night,” Robinson said with a laugh. “But it was definitely something that I’m proud of, hitting shots tonight.”

Robinson finished with a career-high 26 points, which broke his previous high of 20, set on two occasions.

His final totals included 10-for-14 shooting, three assists, three turnovers, a block and a steal.

Robinson also stayed composed as LBSU threw different double-teams and traps his way.

“That’s something that D-Manning is now working with me on every day,” Robinson said of KU assistant coach Danny Manning. “He makes the red team trap me on purpose, just so I can work out of those situations. So I don’t panic at all any more, especially having people like (Conner) Teahan on my team and Tyshawn (Taylor) shooting the ball great.”

After watching the 49ers a few times previously on TV, Robinson wasn’t surprised by how well they played Tuesday.

“They’re physical, and they’re fast, and they have one great player,” Robinson said. “That’s a formula for staying in the game with any good team. So we definitely knew they weren’t going to go away easy, especially when we were up 19. They kept fighting.”

Robinson also was optimistic that KU would take care of its turnover issues. The Jayhawks had 16 turnovers in the second half and 22 total.

“It’s that ADD again. That’s all it was. It kicked in,” Robinson said. “I caught it. A couple of our guards caught it. We just got careless again, but like I said, it’s still early. It’s still early.

“As much as we don’t want to keep turning it over, I’m glad we’re doing it right now. We’ve still got a long week of practice, and like I said, our guards will be ready, and the turnovers will not be there Saturday.”

Comments

Ashwin Rao 10 years, 7 months ago

I can see the truth in Coach's assessment after the Hawaii trip... most of the turnovers can be avoided by keeping the kids fresh... unfortunately we don't have a good bench. I do hope that the bench starts showing up. Most of the lazy passes & careless errors are because the kids are tired in the 2nd half. Once Tharpe et al start contributing, we will start doing much better.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 7 months ago

I'm not sure I agree. Watching Tyshawn and EJ last night was like watching a bad movie that plays over and over again. I thought this would be EJ's year..still time but I'm starting to see why he has only been a role player in the past. TT..a four year starter still makes freshman mistakes. His last foul was just dumb..no other words come to mind. Positives..Withey, his best game yet. He made game saving plays repeatably. Conner..he looked a little tired in 2nd half but his 3s were smooth and deadly in the first. Wesley and Young continue to improve.. And TRob is a BEAST. This team will go as far as he can carry them if we get someone to take care of the ball.

PJ Karasek 10 years, 7 months ago

It TRob keeps hitting that jumper, he will be unstoppable. If he gets too comfortable out there & doesn't keep hitting it, there will be a lot of one shot & out possessions for us. I agree with you that facing up does open up a lot more to him since he isn't an excellent back to the basket player, I just don't want him forgetting about the post.

As for the Christmas present you mention, I cannot agree more. It seems every year as soon as first semester ends, our team grows more in those few weeks off than at any point during the season. I think we're not where we need to be yet in the mental toughness category. Our team can't fall back on their natural talent like teams in the past could, they're going to have to fight more for every W, and they need to learn quickly that the fighting isn't a "flip a switch" type of thing. This team can be elite if they bring their brains to each game, focus, & don't let up.

ParisHawk 10 years, 7 months ago

Cole had the same problem: he posted up too close to the basket. Sometimes after a post move he was under the basket and the rim blocked his shot.

Your post reminded me of a book John Wooden wrote long ago: he said players should get into position to have multiple options when they get the ball. Ideally, you should be able to shoot, pass or drive.

You're describing exactly that: by stepping out, a big can receive and shoot, receive and drive or slash then receive. Also if he draws the double team the second defender is a little bit farther out and that opens things up more for the interior pass. Marcus was hell to defend partly because he was far enough out to open lanes for Markieff et al.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 7 months ago

Cole might be the better comparison but TRob is showing the major growths in his game that the twins did. As close as the twins were in every way..they had their biggest improvements in separate years. As a Jr. Markief matched the development Marcus made a year earlier. TRob was probably delayed playing behind the twins but no doubt he's the man now. Nothing but upside.

BCRavenJHawkfan 10 years, 7 months ago

Robinson may be ready for OSU's Sullinger, but sadly the rest of KU's squad isn't even ready for intramural play.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 7 months ago

I'm not predicting a win..but as we did against Duke, watch for the same gritty determined effort..especially at AFH.

BCRavenJHawkfan 10 years, 7 months ago

I sure hope you're right my Rock Chalkin friend. A narrow loss at AFH to a high ranked team I can accept, a blow out not so much.

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 7 months ago

Self has got to play Tharpe and not keep him on the bench. He's a gamer and it will hurt us big time down the road if he doesn't have some experience.

railer20 10 years, 7 months ago

How is he a gamer...he hasn't done crap since exhibition games. When he gets in he turns it over just like everyone else and hasn't hit a shot yet.

gutter 10 years, 7 months ago

Do we know if Sullinger is going to play?

Sally Presson 10 years, 7 months ago

I hope our under classmen noticed how many seniors LBSU had. Can you imagine the team we'd have if our players stayed instead of jumping to the NBA? We bring these guys up through the ranks and teach them all our coaches have to give and they bolt for the NBA only to sit on their bench when they could have been playing and gaining the experience. I'm thankful for all our seniors. I know thats the name of the game for these players, but I sure wish they'd stay!!!

Absolutely hate the one handed pass and why does Jeff catch the ball then either bend down and dribble before he goes up to dunk the dang ball. Why doesn't he catch the ball and lay it in the basket. Once he's bent over and dribbles, they've got him surrounded. That's my arm-chair coaching observance of last night's game. If Jeff & Tyshawn could have heard me screaming I'm sure they would have stopped giving those awful passes and missed under the basket dunks.

Good luck with Ohio State!!! You guys can do it, just listen to the coaches and keep your head in the game

Tony Bandle 10 years, 7 months ago

Yep..if we had a front line of Marcus, Markieff and TRob, we'd be undefeated and ranked #1!!!

741hawk 10 years, 7 months ago

Agree re Withey. I'm surprised Danny hasn't coached the dribble out of Withey by now .

Brian Conrad 10 years, 7 months ago

ditto HATE the sloppy Tyshawn one handed shove the ball anywhere pass

Tony Bandle 10 years, 7 months ago

What is the deal with Sullinger?

Is he hurt? Is he ill? Is he in trouble? Is he in Europe? Is he already on an NBA roster? Is he out looking for Waldo? Is he playing on the OSU football team? Is he kidnapped by gypsies and/or aliens? Is he a Dave Matthews groupie?

If he doesn't play and we don't upgrade our play, we'll only lose by 15 as opposed to 30 if he is available.

But I think we have the potential to beat these guys..I wouldn't bet the farm on it [heck, I wouldn't bet a Starbucks on it] but it could happen!!

Alohahawk 10 years, 7 months ago

Sullinger has what is termed as "back spasms". Thing is, so I've heard, they can come and go. So he may play, or he may be out.

My thoughts: I hope Sullinger plays. If he doesn't, and KU were to pull off an upset, Ohio State has an excuse for a lose. But if he doesn't play and KU loses, it makes the Jayhawks look worse. It would be a no win situation.

The only advantage KU has is if Sullinger plays. KU wins, it's a true upset. KU loses, it's what most expected.

Besides, the Jayhawks have been playing to the level of their opponent, so far. With Sullinger playing, KU should play better. I hope!!!

Derek Conway 10 years, 7 months ago

Question: Why are we worried about T Rob sending him a "message" when the rest of their roster is going to take it to us? The only "message" Ohio St is wanting to send us is a loss in our own building. This is absolutely ridiculous. Were asking T Rob if he sent Sullinger a "message" after last nights performance? Yes, Sullinger received the "message" loud and clear: "Somewhat take me out of the game and you guys will walk away with a relatively easy victory."

Jstucks44 10 years, 7 months ago

Someting I've noticed over the last couple years is KU players "posing" after dunks way too much. This is becoming a trend which I am not a fan of. Get back and play some defense. I remember earlier in the season, it might have even been an exhibition game that Self commented on Robison doing that and his man beat him down and forced another player to pick up a foul because he was late getting down the floor. As Bill Walton says, "throw it down big fella" but then act like you've done it before and get back on defense. I'm not an old fogey who believe the game should be slow paced and pass the ball 10 times before shooting. However, I just was curious I was the only one noticing this and afraid that in some big game when it matter this could become a problem.

Brian Conrad 10 years, 7 months ago

+10 posing is for posers .. not for Great players

Brian Conrad 10 years, 7 months ago

you would think they learned by chirpping to VCU and getting their arrrssss handed to them last year.. shut up , stop poing and PLAY

rockchalkchalkin23 10 years, 7 months ago

Coach Self

Please do what's best for the team this year and for next. Put EJ at the 1, and Tyshawn at the 2. Both have shown to play better at these positions. Tyshawn wouldn't have control of the ball or the offense so he can't turn it over and the ball can't stick, as it happens now. The offense flows when EJ runs the point. This should absolutely be the game plan, because Tyshawn's crap is just a ripple effect. Who cares about any stock Tyshawn may have in the NBA. Being that he is still very erratic in his senior campaign, it's not your job to build him up or baby him anymore. He should be flying on his own by now. So I plead, do what's best for the team and move on from Tyshawn and start working more with EJ, he will be our leader next year. And he could be a pretty good one this year.

jaybate 10 years, 7 months ago

"He Is Not Me, I Owe Him Nothing"

Board rats focusing on what Jeff Withey isn't doing well are like board rats focusing on what TT is not doing well.

Withey, relative to what was expected from him, has gone super nova. He had a double double and darned near a triple double. He is playing big minutes, despite taking some serious abuse.

Withey is why this team is a threat to be better than one of Self usual reloads, despite all the flaws board rats note.

With just TT and TRob, this is a down the middle team not much different from Sherron and Cole's 26 win season.

With Withey clicking, that radically changes.

On offense, it is opponents contending with Withey that is opening things up for TT and TRob to use some of their athleticism, instead of just having to play bang ball for every basket.

On defense, it is Withey who's shot alteration and post increasingly solid post defense that both compensates for a multitude of team defensive errors still being made, and enables the rest of the team to gamble more on defense.

Game after game now the opponent starts out trying to deny TRob, but finally decides that Withey is what is actually enabling TRob to do what he does. So they go after Withey in the second half and try to isolate him, or muscle him, or as T.J. Williams appeared to do criminally cheap shot him.

All big men, especially the ones no one is afraid of taking a punch from because of a lack of upper body strength, go through this phase, once they become recognized by opponents as the key to the team functioning.

Cole got it his sophomore year.

Kieff got it last season once they began to figure out that it was Kieff stepping out that opened things up for Marcus to work.

In this case it is Withey's back side presence that completely opens things up for TRob across the lane.

TRob was finally able to run around and use his athleticism on offense, because Jeff was creating so many problems for them around the basket.

But here's the thing about this team. It is still inexperienced, though gaining some each game.

And the LBSU game was the first real game of XTReme Cheap Shotting they have been in. LBSU drew first blood. But the team did not respond like an experienced team to the first blood. It did not get purposeful like combat hardened veterans and go about not only winning, but inflicting pay back.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 7 months ago

"Withey, relative to what was expected from him, has gone super nova." Damn right!

jaybate 10 years, 7 months ago

Jeff Withey is still not part of the emotional inner circle of the team yet.

I am not even sure there is an emotional inner circle of this team yet.

Not one player on the KU team came to Withey's defense when T.J. Robinson appeared to criminally cheap shot Withey.

Not TRob, who's job it is to look out for everyone.

Not TT, who should have because he is the senior leader of the team.

Not Elijah, because he seems too lost in his own funk and doesn't seem to have a fighting bone in his body right now.

Not Travis, who seems, despite his cut and buff appearance, and his arrogant celebrating after big plays, to be just another wimpy suburban kid, when it comes to getting into it with another team.

I counted at least three times beyond the Williams cheap shot that Withey went down on the floor chest first with not one teammate rushing to his defense, not one teammate glaring at the opponent that floored him, never more than one clamoring to help him up.

Jeff Withey took enemy fire head on and did not bow or break for teammates that did not come to his defense.

Is there a more damning thing to say about a team?

To me its a whole lot worse than calling the worst passing team Bill Self has ever seen and that stings a whole lot.

This seems to happen every season to one player on KU's team. There seems to be a guy no one will sacrifice for, because they are not sure he is tough enough to sacrifice for them.

But often, it turns out that the guy who the team would not sacrifice for early winds up becoming the guy that by the end of the season is the epicenter of the team's courage, the guy they all come to consider would take a bullet for them, even if he is not strong enough to beat up the biggest hulks on the other side.

Size matters in basketball.

They don't pick on Thomas Robinson much, because he's got the strength and weight to twist their arms out of their sockets whenever he wants to.

But Jeff Withey is a skinny guy even at 225. No opponents fear him yet. Though the opposing coaches are deciding that he might be worth trying to break. There is no higher praise than that. Opposing coaches don't try to break guys, unless there is a pay back for breaking them. Opposing coaches Consonants and Monson have now made clear: handling Withey is critical link to beating KU.

jaybate 10 years, 7 months ago

Withey has not demonstrated yet a willingness to draw first blood...to stick an elbow in someone's ear canal before the action gets hot and heavy--a calling card if you will.

Cole learned the hard way his first starting season that if you are not willing to take the war to the enemy's body, you will wind up fighting the war on your body. And it flipping hurts!

Cole's second season was an exercise in learned enforcement and territoriality. Cole gave people the bone early and often to establish who was going to feel the most pain, regardless of who was the best basketball player on any given day. I always believed he left the tooth out to make clear to all comers "I can lose a tooth, can you?" It is the big man mentality that all big men must grow into, or perish from this basketball earth.

And until they do, their teammates will not fight for them, will not risk their own physical safety for their big man.

It is so easy to be a coward on a basketball floor, if you are not the one under assault. Its a non contact sport. I have to think next. I have to use my fouls judiciously. I am tight with Players A and B, but I don't owe this guy shizz. Let him take care of himself.

But when the opposing teams watch the LBSU video feed, here is what they are going to learn.

1. TT and TRob can't do their thing with out Withey opening it up.

2. TT and TRob don't have Withey's back, they won't retaliate for him, they won't get into a fight for him, they don't view him as part of their inner circle yet.

3. Get Withey! Cheap shot him. Kick him. Floor him. Chop his Adam's apple. Break his nose. His team mates aren't loyal to him, and they aren't loyal to him, because they are chickenshizz sucker punchers themselves. They are thinking there isn't one DBlock, one Sasha Kaun, one Sherron Collins, Marcus Morris, one Tyrel Reed, not one Mario Little on this KU team, not one guy that would fight a buzz saw for any of his teammates yet, least of all Withey.

jaybate 10 years, 7 months ago

Self may want KY to become a sub off the bench that can bring the Mario Little thing, the promise of mayhem, if things don't change, the kind of guy coming off the bench to retaliate, but KY apparently grew up skinny on the mean streets of SoCal and he knew he was probably going to see some of those LBSU guys next summer, and so there was no relaliation there either.

And so Jeff Withey is going to experience what Cole Aldrich experienced that first season starting until his teammates decide he is taking more than they could take and keeps coming back, until his teammates are shamed into manning up for him.

Don't get me wrong. The KU players "thought" they stood up for Jeff. They gave him props and pats on the butt for making free throws and fed him so he could score some.

But that's not the Mario Little thing.

That's not the DBlock thing.

That's not the Sasha Kaun thing.

That's not the Marcus Morris, I've been an older brother all my life and I know what has to be done some times kind of thing.

This situation betrays a grim truth of human group behavior. It is not pretty sometimes. It is why our society is perfectly willing to let 40 million Americans go without health care and suffer and die needlessly for maladies that could have been avoided.

They are not me.

I owe them nothing.

This is why the people of the world let literally tens of millions of human beings die of common diarrhea in the third world, even though it is easily treated with something as simple as Kaopectate (common diarrhea is reputedly one of the leading killers in the third world).

They are not me.

I owe them nothing.

This is why Americans can let tens, or hundreds of thousands of young Americans in OWS (Note: persons simply asking peacefully for their government and economy back from the money vampires) be treated with extreme and uncesssary force and say, aww, they deserve it, or ignore them entirely.

They are not me.

I owe them nothing.

Citizenship means I get to pursue life, liberty and happiness, with the advantages of standing on the shoulders of parents with more money than many others, but i don't have to help ensure my fellow citizens get to do the same.

They are not me.

I owe them nothing.

It is why most Caucasian Americans don't lift a finger to alter the obscene percentage of African Americans in prison.

They are not me.

I owe them nothing.

jaybate 10 years, 7 months ago

It is why so man Caucasian Americans and African Americans never lifted a finger to help in the Civil Rights movement of the 1950s and 1960s escape Klan and Jim Crow terrorism.

They are not me.

I owe them nothing.

This is why so many wealthy Caucasian Amercans and wealthy African Americans will not lift a finger for the American middle class of all colors as it is systematically dismantled.

They are not me.

I owe them nothing.

This is why most men will do nothing for women, who still make vastly less for exactly the same work.

They are not me.

I owe them nothing.

But eventually, the costs of saying they are not me and I owe them nothing accumulate in to something that threatens the society, just as not defending Jeff Withey will in the coming games accumulate into something that threatens the team.

Slowly, but surely, the players on this team are going to be confronted with their unwillingness to fight for each other. Not just for Jeff Withey, but for any of them. This team has no one willing to do anything but sucker punch and run, and I am not presently sure they are even willing to do that.

Family over everything was a slogan last year. But slogans are just words, if there is no one around to back them up. Marcus Morris and Mario Little and Tyrel Reed were ever presently willing to pitch into help a teammate.

Give me liberty, or give me death, would have meant nothing but for the fact that a bunch of ne'er do wells and pious religious fanatics from the British Isles hadn't been willing to fight and die, not for their country, but for their fellow citizens that wanted a free and sovereign country.

This KU team is about to find out very shortly what the cost of not defending one's own teammates is.

It is an accelerating rate of abuse that will spread in time from Withey to the other players.

If you can break a team cheap shotting one player and get away with it, why not cheap shot two, then three, then all five.

It will cause a crisis of who these players are really loyal to--each to himself, or each to all.

Do they say: they are not me. I owe them nothing.

Or do they say: harming to anyone is harm to everyone.

They have felt first blood and they have felt what it feels like not to be the one that draws it.

They have seen what happens when a team is allowed to flagrantly cheap shot without retaliation.

s6u6r6f 10 years, 7 months ago

How many Americans from the Caucasus can there possibly be?

jaybate 10 years, 7 months ago

Great point. I've always wondered the same thing. Why not Euro-Americans, when we talk about such things. In fact, you have changed me. From here on out, its European Americans and African Americans.

jaybate 10 years, 7 months ago

A second rate team with one good player behind 19 points can come back through cheap shotting--the basketball equivalent of terrorism--and nearly steal a game.

And it can leave a team of good guys stinking with the failure of defending their own.

This is a phase a team must go through sometimes for complicated reasons.

This team's sense of honor is still anchored in last year in a team that no longer exists.

It knows it is out in the jungle now on Guadalcanal, but it has not fully let go of its past and entered into the moment of the campaign.

It learned some good things. It learned it is very tough on some levels; that it can endure a lot of abuse. It learned it can overcome 22 TOs triggered by basketball terrorism being inflicted on it.

But it also learned something shameful. It learned it can let one of its own be crucified for no other reason than this:

He is not me.

I owe him nothing.

That is about to change in the coming weeks on The Canal.

This team is not family and never will be.

But this team is about to discover that when the really vicious fighting starts, it better become a band of warriors, with the loyalty of warriors, or it it will perish on the Canal of this pre conference season before it ever gets off.

They are not me.

I owe them nothing.

They are not me.

I owe them nothing.

They are not me.

I owe them nothing.

jaybate 10 years, 7 months ago

Do they say: they are not me. I owe them nothing.

Or do they say: harming to anyone is harm to everyone.

jaybate 10 years, 7 months ago

This is a phase a team must go through sometimes for complicated reasons.

He is not me.

I owe him nothing.

That is about to change in the coming weeks on The Canal.

This team is not family and never will be.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 7 months ago

Was wondering if you caught the Missouri/Villanova game? They be warriors in Missouri..we need to finish this rivalry right. game Day in Columbia.

kkoenig 10 years, 7 months ago

I've been looking ahead to that match-up too. Self will of course work our bigs (advantage KU) and look to take away one or two of their guards (advantage MU). Keep Denmon and English or Dixon under 10 points a piece and KU will win.

jaybate 10 years, 7 months ago

I did not see it, but if they are warriors, until this team crosses that threshold I fear for it playing in Columbia.

HawkKlaw 10 years, 7 months ago

Clash of the titans this Saturday!

TRob, time to show everyone who the best forward in the nation is!

And Jaybate....holy f*ck! My scrolling finger is all wore out!

ParisHawk 10 years, 7 months ago

Per cleveland.com, Sullinger has back spasms caused by an aggravated disc. He sat out Saturday's game and, as of last Saturday, was expected back for KU.

Ron Franklin 10 years, 7 months ago

If Kansas can figure out how to quickly reverse the bal and how to effectively utilize Withey down low by this weekend, the Hawks will have a chance for survival. Based on what I've seen so far this year--I believe our guard play will be inferior to OSU and this one will be one on the glass and in the paint.

But then again-If the ball gets turned over 20 times this could go down as one of the worst losses in AFH.

1 inside/out-Withey, Withey, & More Withey. TRob will then get his naturally.

2 ball reversal until Teahan, Releford, & EJ are open for the trey.

Sandeep Kalburgie 10 years, 7 months ago

HCBS - Listen to me. Go recruit Cameron Ridley!!!

JayDocMD 10 years, 7 months ago

+1. Heard he was wavering on his TX commitment.

Alohahawk 10 years, 7 months ago

Recruiting can be a real crap shoot sometimes.

Find it interesting that one of those golden apple recruits KU lost out on to Arizona, 5 star Josh Turner, has been suspended one game and did not accompany their team to play in today's Florida game. Fact is, Turner, considered one of the elite point guards of 2011, has had a less than impressive freshman year so far. Having Selby at the time KU was recruiting Turner probably scared him away, which may turn into a blessing in disguise. Then again, with our ball control problems, maybe not.

REHawk 10 years, 7 months ago

jb, I plan to watch the game again tonight. I had the feeling, first time around, that Withey was taking some extreme hits last night. Will focus on that aspect in the review. I detect that you are more than usually moved by that situation.... This is indeed the strangest Jayhawk squad which we have witnessed in the Bill Self era. A sidelined performer such as Ben Mac might have made a huge difference in the denouement of last night's contest.

Alohahawk 10 years, 7 months ago

I tried to send a post through on this once, and it didn't show up, so I'll try a second time.

Randle has a blog/column on ESPN.com (their NCAA bb page) in which he will be posting anything and everything about his recruitment over the coming months. Even recipes he likes. The blog is located about mid page, and includes a pic of him. At the end, you can send in comments directly to Randle. There are already a number of posts from Arizona and Kenstinky posters.

Randle does say one of his best visits was to KU. But adds that he still has a number of places to visit.