Big 12 releases football schedules for 2012; KU home for 4 and away for 5

With West Virginia's divorce from the Big East becoming official this morning, the Big 12 Conference was free to release its much anticipated football schedules for the 2012 college football season.

The Kansas University program will open and close 2012 with the two Big 12 newcomers, as the Jayhawks are scheduled to face TCU on Sept. 15 in Lawrence in the season's first conference game and West Virginia in Morgantown, W.Va., on Dec. 1 in the regular season finale.

Kansas' schedule also includes home Big 12 games against Oklahoma State (Oct. 13), Texas (Oct. 27) and Iowa State (Nov. 17).

In addition to traveling to WVU, the Jayhawks will go on the road to face Kansas State (Oct. 6), Oklahoma (Oct. 20), Baylor (Nov. 3) and Texas Tech (Nov. 10).

KU's schedule, which oddly features two bye weeks (Sept. 29 and Nov. 24), also includes non-conference foes South Dakota State (Sept. 1) and Rice (Sept. 8) at home, as well as a trip to Northern Illinois on Sept. 22, one week after the TCU match-up and one week before the first bye.

Here's a look at the complete schedule. No kickoff times have been set as of today.

Date Opponent

Sept. 1 - SOUTH DAKOTA STATE

Sept. 8 - RICE

Sept. 15 - TCU

Sept. 22 - at Northern Illinois

Sept. 29 - Bye

Oct. 6 - at Kansas State

Oct. 13 - OKLAHOMA STATE

Oct. 20 - at Oklahoma

Oct. 27 - TEXAS (Homecoming)

Nov. 3 - at Baylor

Nov. 10 - at Texas Tech

Nov. 17 - IOWA STATE

Nov. 24 - Bye

Dec. 1 - at West Virginia

Comments

Chris Bailey 8 years, 6 months ago

You have a party then I'm coming! You better post where it is at though! Well when it's closer I'll be sure to remind you!

Kent Wells 8 years, 6 months ago

Matt, how does this effect your win/loss percentage wheel? Please update!

And I have to say, pretty weird to not see Missouri on there. I even looked up and down the list twice. Habits!

Matt Tait 8 years, 6 months ago

My first thought is this: It's a tough, tough schedule...

TCU, Oklahoma State and Texas all at home.... I guess it's better than on the road, but those are tough home games. Such is life in this conference, I guess.

Nice to see the bye week before K-State (yet again) and the other bye before the finale at WVU. I think Weis will make good use of the extra week in both cases.

I also like the stretch of Baylor, Tech and ISU late in the season, though none of those are gimmes by any means.

Gonna be interesting. At least we know now.

Kevin Kelly 8 years, 6 months ago

We had 2 byes last year....we just didn't play during champ weekend. This year we are playing that weekend.

Thomas Michaud 8 years, 6 months ago

Glad to finally see this ...

Too bad that we start so early with TCU and end at WVU; I'd like to see KU and KSU end the season (much like KU and MU did) for more of a rivalry atmosphere (versus week 6).

Matt Tait 8 years, 6 months ago

I think they tried to make that happen but couldn't. I also wouldn't rule that out in the future.... You're right. It would be very cool...

Eric Harrison 8 years, 6 months ago

Hotel booked in Mogantown. We should be able to stay warm from all the burning couches after an upset keeps WVU from winning the Big12 and we gain bowl eligibility.

Bville Hawk 8 years, 6 months ago

Have fun in Morgantown. I have a buddy who lives in Maryland and despises the Mountaineers (he mutates that word slightly) tell me that a couple from LSU were drug from their car and beaten up a couple years ago after a game there.

texashawk10 8 years, 6 months ago

Reaching a bowl game is going to be tough without winning a couple of conference road games.

Brennan Keller 8 years, 6 months ago

I think KU will finish the season 6-6 with wins over South Dakota State, Rice, @ Northern Illinois, Iowa state, and @ Texas Tech. I think KU has an outside chance of possibly going 7-5 if they can snag a win @ Baylor.

Spencer Goff 8 years, 6 months ago

I only count five wins in your first sentence, six with Baylor. Who is the other win?

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 6 months ago

Must be another Misery fan trolling on our board. Lost track when he ran out of fingers!

Brennan Keller 8 years, 6 months ago

The wins are:

1. South Dakota State
  2. Rice
  3. @ Northern Illinois
  4. Iowa State
  5. @ Texas Tech
  6. @ Baylor

Sorry!

Chris Bailey 8 years, 6 months ago

It still doesn't make sense because you said we could go 7-5 IF we can beat Baylor. So 7-5 if we beat em and 5-7 if we don't I guess!

Spencer Goff 8 years, 6 months ago

I would love to see that happen. None of those games are a huge upset to win, so it is possible, and if they can pull in one somewhere else it would be all the sweeter.

We'll see, still a lot of work to do defensively, and with WVU and TCU coming in (two teams that could load up points and didn't lose any offensive players) it will be tough without a defense that can keep up.

Daniel Kennamore 8 years, 6 months ago

SOUTH DAKOTA STATE - Win RICE - Win TCU - Loss at Northern Illinois - Loss at Kansas State - Loss OKLAHOMA STATE - Loss at Oklahoma - Loss TEXAS - Win at Baylor - Loss at Texas Tech - Win IOWA STATE - Win at West Virginia - Loss

5-7

LAJayhawk 8 years, 6 months ago

I would switch Northern Illinois and Texas, and Baylor, IMO, will be a toss up game that will determine bowl eligibility. I with you on the rest.

Chris Bailey 8 years, 6 months ago

Yeah there is NO WAY Weis loses to NIU! Absolutely no way! We beat em last year with a less talented coaching staff this staff will have em ready to rock! Chalk!

texashawk10 8 years, 6 months ago

Considering that KU has won exactly one road game the past 4 seasons (2009 @ UTEP), I don't think any road game can be considered a gimme for KU at this point.

Joseph Kuebel 8 years, 6 months ago

Not a gimme but Northern Illinois' qb was a senior this year... I like our chances, but by no means a gimme.

CardHawkFan 8 years, 6 months ago

Now that this is settled, one thing I am still waiting on to be answered...Tait, is McCay going to be eligible? I know I am not the only one waiting, but any news on that front would be fantastic. If not, how long can we expect the NCAA will deliberate on this topic?

Matt Tait 8 years, 6 months ago

No news yet... Could be a while. As far as I've been told, he just recently finished up his letter and all the required paperwork and sent it in. I'd expect it to take several weeks, as most things like this with the NCAA tend to move pretty slow.

Regardless of the ruling, he will be able to participate in spring ball, so there's really no need to know before August.

Obviously, it would be nice to know the decision sooner than later, but not hearing until May or June would not cost KU anything.

Stay tuned...

Jayhawk1116 8 years, 6 months ago

In classic NCAA fashion they will wait until the second game of the season to announce whether McCay is eligible or not.

Micah Mandy Haase 8 years, 6 months ago

Well I will be at the OU/KU game here in Norman... Rock Chalk!!!!

Spencer Goff 8 years, 6 months ago

Any shot of adding in another team in that second bye week? I know it is unlikely due to the lateness of both the date and the schedule release? Correct me if I'm wrong, but SDSU is full on D-I for football, doesn't that mean we can add in a lower tier and have it count towards bowl eligibility?

kupride4u 8 years, 6 months ago

I believe you can only play 12 games, KU is at that.

Daniel Kennamore 8 years, 6 months ago

Unless we schedule at game at Hawaii.

Are you reading this Zenger? I said SCHEDULE A GAME AT HAWAII.

Spencer Goff 8 years, 6 months ago

Ahhh crap, I think you are right, and now that I added them up it is twelve. For some reason I had it in my head with a second bye week it meant we were short one.

texashawk10 8 years, 6 months ago

Last year, the second bye week for KU (and most Big 12 schools) was the final weekend of the regular season. I believe UT/Baylor and OU/OSU were the only 2 Big 12 games that weekend last season.

Jonathan Allison 8 years, 6 months ago

Why can't a team schedule 13 games if their conference doesn't have a conference championship game.

Somebody needs to make this happen!

OhioHawkfan 8 years, 6 months ago

You are allowed to play 13 . . . Purdue did it a few years ago . . . but NCAA rules say that if you play 13 games, you gotta win 7 to be bowl eligible.

Spencer Goff 8 years, 6 months ago

Sept. 1 - SOUTH DAKOTA STATE (1-0) Sept. 8 - RICE (2-0) Sept. 15 - TCU (2-1) Sept. 22 - at Northern Illinois (3-1) Sept. 29 - Bye Oct. 6 - at Kansas State (3-2) Oct. 13 - OKLAHOMA STATE (3-3) Oct. 20 - at Oklahoma (3-4) Oct. 27 - TEXAS (Homecoming) (3-5) Nov. 3 - at Baylor (4-5) Nov. 10 - at Texas Tech (4-6) Nov. 17 - IOWA STATE (5-6) Nov. 24 - Bye Dec. 1 - at West Virginia (5-7)

Thus, I would really like to see that second bye week get a winnable home game added. Also, stealing a game at home against OSU or UT, or a road game at Tech and I wet my pants.

5-7 or 6-6 in his first year of work would be phenomenal, considering the conference and schedule.

texashawk10 8 years, 6 months ago

I can't argue too much against that, but I do think many people are underestimating Baylor's staying power. They're not going to be 10 win good next year, but Art Briles is a very good coach that has significantly upgraded the talent there and Baylor should be in the 6-8 win range next year. Terrance Ganaway and Nick Florence are going to keep Baylor from falling too far next year.

Spencer Goff 8 years, 6 months ago

I don't think Baylor is going to be terrible, but dude I am so freaking happy to see RGIII gone from there... He had hall-of-fame days against us every season.

I think Baylor may get the QB hangover though now that he is gone, similar to post-Vince Young Texas and post-Colt McCoy. Well, at least I can be hopeful they get it....

If you had to pick one of those home games as a possible upset, who do you go with? Oklahoma State is losing a lot, TCU is losing virtually nothing off their offense, and UT always gets a top five recruiting class. Who do you like us to sneak up on?

Spencer Goff 8 years, 6 months ago

P.S.: It should be noted I enjoyed watching RGIII play, just not against us. He torched us.

texashawk10 8 years, 5 months ago

Unless Case McCoy or David Ash make huge leaps forward this offseason, UT is still going to be vulnerable to upsets every week because we all know the difference QB play can make for a team.

Jayhawk1116 8 years, 6 months ago

KU at WVU could be for the Big 12 title ;)

Jayhawk1116 8 years, 6 months ago

At least we get a second week to prepare for emaw.

KU_Alumn_2000 8 years, 6 months ago

4 - 8 is my prediction.

Our D-line didn't get fixed...and we didn't hire a different D-line coach. I would keep expectations in check this first season.

It's progress though.

texashawk10 8 years, 6 months ago

So KU didn't bring in any DT's this year in recruiting and they don't get John Williams back from injury either? I could've sworn that Charlie Weis brought in some JuCo DT's and get the only good one from last year back as well.

Chris Bailey 8 years, 6 months ago

Yeah I think I may have read an article or two that said we brought in 4 DT's and we williams back. I think D-line will be nothing short of our most improved position! That or QB!

texashawk10 8 years, 6 months ago

Good thing Williams still has his Sr. season left to play then.

KU_Alumn_2000 8 years, 5 months ago

Texashawk - do you really think that bringing in the 4 juco D-linemen really fixed our line ? Are you serious ?

We had the WORST D-line in the entire country last year. And you think that the D-line is fixed because we brought in 4 juco guys ?

texashawk10 8 years, 5 months ago

I'm not saying KU's DLine is going to be on par with LSU or Alabama, but it's not going to be nearly as bad as it was last year either. It will be a good enough DLine to get some pressure on QB's and make more plays than last year and create more turnovers. I think KU can get significantly more than the 10 sacks they got last year which is a major improvement. It also allows KU to have a little bit of depth and actually be able to rotate players in and out instead of playing a couple of guys nearly every snap and have them exhausted in the 4th quarter.

Eric Harrison 8 years, 6 months ago

I think 4-8 is the smart money prediction (although neither ISU or @NIU are gimmies). I'm hopeful for 5-7 (stealing one of the Baylor, Tech, Texas games). And I'm dreaming for 6-6 and the New Era PinStripe Bowl or Military (I'd be in attendance)

Jason Montgomery 8 years, 6 months ago

Sept. 1 - south dakota state (1-0) Sept. 8 - RICE (2-0) Sept. 15 - TCU (2-1) Dayne Crist gets hurt Sept. 22 - at Northern Illinois (2-2) Sept. 29 - Bye Oct. 6 - at Kansas State (2-3) Oct. 13 - oklahoma state (2-4) Oct. 20 - at Oklahoma (2-5) Oct. 27 - TEXAS (Homecoming) (2-6) Nov. 3 - at Baylor (2-7) Nov. 10 - at Texas Tech (2-8) Nov. 17 - iowa state (2-9) Nov. 24 - Bye Dec. 1 - at West Virginia (2-10)

Chris Bailey 8 years, 6 months ago

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Ludwig Supraphonic 8 years, 6 months ago

Throw away your 2011 calendar. Just to give you an update: Gill fired, Weiss hired. Write down "Aricept" and see if your MD will Rx you a trial.

Jason Montgomery 8 years, 6 months ago

How is a drug for dementia going to keep Crist's knees from blowing out and Mangino Jr's master plan from unraveling?

blindrabbit 8 years, 6 months ago

Krohnutz: If I'm not mistaken, the only way to get to a 13th game (other than bowl) is (1) to either play the season "Kick off Game" (as KU did against Notre Dame) several years ago (2) to play in Hawaii as a road game! Let me know if I'm mistaken! I think Nebraska did this Hawaii jaunt several times in the past; they travelled well, Osborne upgraded his tan, and was a great get-a-way from a Nebraska chill.

DocBean 8 years, 6 months ago

What a CUPCAKE schedule!!!! Woo Hoo! Anything less then 11-1 will be a major disappointment.

...kidding that schedule is a killer. I don't like that second bye game coming with just one game left to play. It would be better if it was Week 11 and @TT was week 13, but I guess the players will get some extra time off for Turkey Day.

Richard Payton 8 years, 6 months ago

Not certain about the KU home for 4 and away for 5 headline. I'm looking at 6 games played in Lawrence and six games away.

ohjayhawk 8 years, 6 months ago

The 4 and 5 refers specifically to the Big 12 games. There are 4 home Big 12 games and 5 away Big 12 games.

Ervin O'Neal 8 years, 6 months ago

The headline is referring to "Big 12 releases football schedule." Big 12 didn't release the KU schedule, just the nine conference games.

JayHawkFanToo 8 years, 6 months ago

It refers to conference games... The following season (unless expansion changes number of games) KU should have 5 home and 4 away games.

april28 8 years, 6 months ago

Our non-conference games should be against weak Texas teams and weak MAC teams and no one else. The way we are going to improve recruiting is to play non-cons in recruiting areas or against recruiting-area teams.

kugrad93 8 years, 6 months ago

Every year the schedule comes out, and people start counting wins. Northern Illinois ended up winning 11 games last season, so that's no gimme. KU has NEVER won at Texas Tech. I think progress this year may be judged in how competitive the team is rather than in number of games won. You don't go from 59-7 beatdowns to winning seven games overnight.

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 6 months ago

Didn't we win at Tech when Mario Kinsey was the QB?

David Meredith 8 years, 6 months ago

yes it was 2001 in overtime... That is the only time I can recall beating Tech... maybe this year but it is on the road.

Dirk Medema 8 years, 5 months ago

We were a decent QB away from 3 more W's, so add better conditioning, experience, coaching, DT depth, and 5 or 6 wins is not out of the question as most point out. OSU, GT, OU, UT, and maybe even KSU (don't doubt a rival) are a long way from W's, but losing those badly doesn't make the others more losable.

Brian Skelly 8 years, 6 months ago

While we're all still in the afterglow of Charlie Weiss' arrival and the addition of WVU and TCU to the conference, I think were getting WAY ahead of ourselves with the concept of a 6-6 season.

Impossible? No. Likely? No. KU would likely have to pull out wins against teams they arent going to be favored against... and they'd likely have to do that 3 times at least. I just dont think the odds of that happening are particularly. good.

Dont forget, we "beat" Northern Illinois... on essentially the last play of the game. While im fairly confident that we'll be in a better place next year than we were last KU will have to be 3-0 in the non-conference to even have a shot. Thats assuming 3-6 in conference... a bit of a stretch in my mind.

I hope im wrong. I hope Charlie gets the team rolling and getting into a bowl is assured. I just dont see it happening though.

manginodrh00lz 8 years, 6 months ago

You just got "manginoed"! Learn his name bumpkin.

mdfraz 8 years, 6 months ago

Matt-

Is there any chance at all that one or more conference games might get moved to a Thursday/Friday for TV purposes? I'm specifically thinking about WVU. Nothing more than a hunch, but if I and other fans start to make plans for a road trip, would we get screwed over in the fall with a change in the date of the game? Just wondering if you think that's even a remote possibility for a league game.

Jayhawk444 8 years, 5 months ago

From the Big12 press announcement on big12sports.com: "Dates are subject to change as adjustments are expected to accommodate television partners' requests."

mdfraz 8 years, 5 months ago

Crap. That doesn't help with travel plans. For some reason that just feels like a game that could be a Friday night special. Thanks for the info.

Pbbut 8 years, 6 months ago

Does someone have an update on how season ticket sales are going? Fans were really fired up when Weis was hired and I've seen nothing that would douse the flames. I've renewed mine, and frankly I wouldn't mind sitting an extra hour at the stadium after the game if the place was full.

LJD230 8 years, 6 months ago

Any insight when the little 10 will once again become the Big 12?

Jake Waddle 8 years, 6 months ago

I may be out of my mind excited for this upcoming season but 7-5 imo is possible. You can't expect Baylor and Oklahoma State to be the same without their studs at all the major skill positions... We win 1 of those if not 2. SDSU, Rice, NIU, Iowa State need to be wins. k-suck and TT are both on the road but the most winnable of the remaining games... so those are my 2 upsets to get to 7 wins. Crazy, I know, but a guy can dream...

Does anyone know if the NIU game is @NIU or will it be @Soldier Field?? (going to that one no matter what!)

Jayhawk444 8 years, 6 months ago

I'm keeping my feet closer to the ground than you. I get what you're saying that other teams lost their studs. But let's take basketball as an analogy here. KU lost 3 NBA players plus two more starters....and I'm sure there were people on the Tx Tech boards saying before the season "wow...we got a good coach now and KU lost all their studs. We should beat them this year." .... just sayin

blindrabbit 8 years, 6 months ago

KU has a history with TCU, back in the 1950's; ain't good. I attended some then, Horned Frogs dined on Jayhawks for the most part! Another purple team!

Spencer Goff 8 years, 6 months ago

Hey, final comment on this article:

Doesn't it feel good to be able to talk football with a hint of optimism to it?

Hell yeah, it does.

Mike Kendall 8 years, 6 months ago

What a tough schedule!!!!!!!!!! I would love for us to at least come close to the K-State game. Is there any chance we could be fortunate enough to win it?

Mike Kendall 8 years, 6 months ago

Jeff Coffman 8 years, 6 months ago

I kind of like the 4-5 this year...we get the 5-4 next year after CW settles in.

in addition, OSU was one of the most senior laddened teams in the country, I think they will take a step back.

I think Baylor was one player away from losing a lot of games last year (including against KU).

Texas will improve, OU will be picked to be one of the BCS favorites, without injuries that team would ahve been incredible.

Iowa State at home should be a winnable game. Northern Illinois should take a step back, I believe they lose their QB; however, they will have a more time under their coach. The other two might be difficult, but we should win.

I must say as long as HCCW doesn't lay a 6-3 game against South Dakota State, already he has out performed the start that TG had.

My winner wheel 0-2 -- 10% 3-4 -- 32% 5-6 -- 45% 7-8 -- 11% 9-10 -- 2% 11-13 -- I would have had that sandman dream.

After spring game, I'm hoping that it will shift a little bit higher.

LJD230 8 years, 5 months ago

Why is Rice not being considered for Big 12 membership? It is an AAU member with a huge endowment and a nice, albeit underutilized, stadium. It's non-conference schedule is not for wusses!

Prior to the defection of Nebraska, Colorado, A&M and Misery to other conferences, 7 of the 12 conference schools were members of the AAU. And now a platry three remain.

Tulane would be a good choice for academic heft. Louisville not!

What WVU brings to the academic reputation of the little 10 is a mystery.

Robert Brock 8 years, 5 months ago

Probably because they wouldn't bring a single TV with them. The conference already has Houston and the state of Texas covered.

packywacky88 8 years, 5 months ago

Anyone want to roadtrip to Morgantown???? I'll be here.

Michael Bowden 8 years, 5 months ago

So does anyone know when late night will be is it ok state or homecoming, just trying to decide if the game would be worth going to late night

Steve Brown 8 years, 5 months ago

I thought Vegas had our over.under at 3.5 so 4 is beating the spread, hoping for 5-6 with zero blowouts is a big improvement. And no lay downs in 2nd half.