Tuesday, December 19, 2017

KU receiver Chase Harrell witnessed brother shot and killed

Kansas wide receiver Chase Harrell (3) is taken off of his feet as he is hit by Ohio cornerback Bradd Ellis (3) during the fourth quarter on Saturday, Sept. 16, 2017 at Peden Stadium in Athens, Ohio.

This past weekend University of Kansas football receiver Chase Harrell, back home near Houston after the completion of the fall semester, saw his older brother shot and killed at a house party.

The Houston Chronicle reported Cole Harrell, 23, died after an argument turned into a violent fight early Sunday morning, in a Summerwood, Texas, home where a small group of people had gathered.

According to the Chronicle, another man showed up there unhappy after receiving a call from a woman at the house. The man reportedly pulled out a gun during a brawl and Cole Harrell attempted to take the gun from him when it went off and killed him.

The Chronicle reported Chase Harrell called his oldest brother, Corbin, from the scene.

“He was hysterical,” Corbin told the Houston paper.

KPRC-TV in Houston reported Isaiah Kain Salas-Martiniez, accused of killing Cole Harrell, appeared in court Monday, in Houston.

The Harrell brothers’ mother, Susan, told KPRC her sons were together at a friend’s house before the night turned violent.

"Cole wanted to hang out with Chase because he knew he was going to come into town so they decided to go,” she said.

According to the KPRC report, both Chase and Cole Harrell and another man attempted to disarm the accused shooter, who turned himself in to police.

In his redshirt sophomore season for KU this past fall, Chase Harrell caught 25 passes for 221 yards and three touchdowns.

Comments

John Fitzgerald 12 months ago

Man, I can't even imagine. I wish the Harrell family well and that the shooter gets what he deserves. It's a scary world we live in.

Bryson Stricker 12 months ago

Not even having read this article yet, just want to say RIP. Chase is one of the few guys on the team I've been able to get a really good personal connection with. The kid is of another breed in terms of his character on and off the field. Very sad to hear this.

Len Shaffer 12 months ago

So incredibly sad, both on a personal and societal level. I'm so tired of all the brutal killings in this country ...

Michael Leiker 12 months ago

God bless you Chase, so sorry for your loss

Cheryl Townsend 12 months ago

KU Sports. If you could contact these young men and let them know that Darnell Jackson went through almost this same thing and other violence when he was home during his years at KU. He is a wonderful caring young man and could probably help this young man who witnessed this horrible act on his own brother. I talked to him at KU Roundball this year, Darnell I mean.

Chris Bailey 12 months ago

First and foremost I am so completely sorry for your loss Chase and to the rest of your family. I just don't understand the thought process that goes on in someones head that says let's violently take a weapon into a house to inflict harm on another human being. I own many guns and I was taught to treat them as tools that, in not respected, can cause great harm. It's truly sad and I truly don't understand what goes on in someones mind that they think in any world that would be ok. So very sad. Did this happen in the 80's and 90's when I was growing up and I just don't remember hearing about it? Put your weapons away and swallow your pride. Live to fight another day. Stop this crap. It's just senseless and leaves a family with a void for the rest of their lives. God bless to the Harrell family