Kansas defeats Texas, 75-62

• 1 p.m., Jan. 24, 2015
  • Frank Erwin Center, Austin, TX

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Kansas bests Texas in near flawless road victory

Kansas players Jamari Traylor, left, Wayne Selden, Kelly Oubre, Tyler Self and Evan Manning go wild during a timeout in the second half on Saturday, Jan. 24, 2015 at Frank Erwin Center in Austin, Texas.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self pleased with Jayhawks' efforts in win at Texas

Kansas basketball coach Bill Self talks about the Jayhawks' Saturday road win at Texas, a victory in which he saw few issues for his team.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Brannen Greene and Cliff Alexander on KU's win at Texas

Kansas basketball subs Brannen Greene and Cliff Alexander combined for 29 points off the bench in KU's win at Texas. They discussed the Jayhawks' win with the media.

Download podcast

KANSAS 75, TEXAS 62

Box score

— Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self, who can be a perfectionist when it comes to assessing the play of his team after games, found little to nothing to fault after Saturday’s 75-62 dismantling of Texas on Saturday in Frank Erwin Center.

In fact, as miffed as he was after that road loss to TCU a couple years ago ... he was the polar opposite emotion-wise following a victory that upped the 11th-ranked Jayhawks’ record to 16-3 overall, 5-1 in the Big 12. No. 17-ranked Texas fell to 14-5, 3-3.

“That’s the best game ... that’s the best road game we’ve played in a long time. I mean maybe years, in large part because we took care of the ball,” Self said after his squad tied a school-record with just three turnovers — fewest in a game since 1966 when KU had three versus Iowa State.

“Our shot selection was good, even though they blocked some shots (nine to KU’s four). Our first-shot defense for the most part was pretty good. We played to scouting report pretty well. I thought our offensive efficiency was the best it’s been all year,” Self added.

He cited the play of Frank Mason III (12 points, four assists, no turnovers) and Devonté Graham (two points, three assists, no turnovers) as the main factors for the overall efficiency.

“I thought Frank and Devonté just totally controlled the game the second half (in which KU expanded on 32-30 halftime lead),” Self said. “Didn’t you guys think it was their game?” Self added, asking a question of his own to media members.

Self dished out some additional superlatives, one involving Cliff Alexander, who scored 15 points — one off a career high — and grabbed nine rebounds in 27 minutes.

“We haven’t seen Cliff run like that all year,” Self said. “The great thing about Cliff is he’s had a bruised sternum. Then somebody hit him this morning (at shoot-around). I’m thinking Ridley (Cameron, eight points, four boards) is going to knock the crap out of him, but he fought through it. He got four dunks blocked and still he took it right at the rim every time. He was impressive.”

Self also lauded Brannen Greene (14 points, four threes after not practicing two straight days after running into Perry Ellis’ elbow at practice) as “great” and said the sophomore guard “bailed us out.”

KU’s 12th-year coach saved probably the highest praise for junior Jamari Traylor, who was credited with a whopping eight floor burns (dives for loose balls).

Traylor in one first-half frenzy went flying into the stands while chasing an offensive rebound, then after running to the other end dove on a loose ball near halfcourt, knocked it off UT’s Demarcus Holland with the play ending in a basket and free throw from Mason.

“I thought that was the best play I’ve seen since I’ve been at Kansas. I don’t think there’s ever been a better hustle play than that one,” Self said of the action that came shortly after Traylor’s rejection of a Holland shot. KU led 26-21 following Mason’s bucket and free throw.

“It was unbelievable. Plays like that give your team momentum and give your team confidence. That was a helluva play,” Self added.

Self also was happy with a defense that held UT to 40 percent shooting, including a three-of-18 performance from three (to KU’s six-of-18).

“Our big guys did the best job they’ve done in a while denying them touches,” Self said.

The Jayhawks, who didn’t shoot well (27 of 62 for 43.5 percent), did make up for that by suffering just the three turnovers — none the final half.

“That was huge. Going away and committing only three turnovers, that’s big,” said KU junior forward Ellis, who scored 14 points and grabbed five rebounds in 33 minutes. “That’s how you win away games.”

“That’s awesome. That’s how you win games on the road. That’s big for us,” Graham stated.

Noted Mason, who played 35 minutes: “That’s always the formula to win on the road. If you can take care of the ball and execute on the offensive end and get stops on the defensive end, that’s the winning formula.”

Self was pleased the Jayhawks fared well against a tall Texas team, tallest squad the Jayhawks have faced since Kentucky, which beat KU by 32 points in November.

“It was different when we played against Kentucky’s length. We shied away from it. Today we didn’t shy away, we went to it knowing they’d block some,” said Self, whose Jayhawks used a 27-10 run to turn a 44-39 deficit into a 66-54 lead. “We attacked their length well. We drove to pass as opposed to driving to score. It’s hard to drive to score over length. It’s much easier to force help when passing to somebody else. I thought we did a good job of sharing the ball.”

The Jayhawks did so many things well ... “I think if they play the way I think the game is supposed to be played, with energy and unselfishness and those things I think I could fall in love with this group,” Self said. “We haven’t done that consistently. Today we ran. We were opportunistic. We played smart. Shot selection was good and we paid attention to scouting report for the most part.”

KU will next meet TCU at 8 p.m., Wednesday, in Fort Worth, Texas.

More news and notes from Kansas at Texas

By the Numbers: Kansas wins 75-62 at Texas

By the Numbers: Kansas wins 75-62 at Texas

Comments

Jack Brooks 3 years, 6 months ago

Absolutely fantastic win! I hope it's starting to sink in for these guys that good things will happen if they stay engaged and active for the entire game. They're capable of #11, but they're going to have to bring this same effort each and every game, all game long.

Great job, fellas!

Bryce Landon 3 years, 6 months ago

And they simply CANNOT have a letdown against Texas Christian. One humiliating loss in their gym in 2013 was bad enough!

Micky Baker 3 years, 6 months ago

It won't be in their gym this year either. It will be in a high school gym as they are refurbishing TCU's arena.

Bryce Landon 3 years, 6 months ago

That is very true. I don't understand why they don't just build a brand new arena for the Frogs with the $$$ they are using to refurbish Daniel-Meyer Coliseum.

Vernon Riggs 3 years, 6 months ago

Brannen played defense. Cliff played with motor. Perry attacked strong. One thing is for sure, these guys are coachable and are listening. Great game! Rock Chalk.

Micky Baker 3 years, 6 months ago

I believe one of the announcers of the game said it was one of the best sequences he has seen in his recent memory. Traylor went flying out of bounds on the other end, tangled up in in the fans at the other end of the court, then came back and dove to knock that ball free. I wish we had a shot of the entire court for that because Traylor wasn't even on the screen when he dove for that ball. All we saw is him coming across the half court line after that ball.

Cameron Cederlind 3 years, 6 months ago

The whole thing was crazy. His shot was blocked by Turner on one end, he comes flying down the court to block a shot at the other. In that, he gets tackled out of bounds but gets free with enough time to hop in bounds with both feet to get a dropped pass. Sprints to the other end, goes superman in to the stands then at just the right moment flies in to center court to break the ball free for an and-1. It was like watching a liam neeson action sequence.

3 years, 6 months ago

That's the most complete game these guys have played, and the finishing 5 minutes were so good to watch. RCJH

Reggie Flenory 3 years, 6 months ago

the fact that Perry Ellis try to dunk twice on somebody brought a tear to my eye

Bill Blomander 3 years, 6 months ago

This was an Awesome Team Effort !! These are the Kansas Jayhawks, we know !! Way Ta Go Boys !! It still goes thru Lawrence Ks !! Rock Chalk Forever !! Cliff was Great !!

Dirk Medema 3 years, 6 months ago

Frank and Devonté did totally controlled the game, with assists from Brannen and Perry in particular. Great, great patience. Others are getting headlines, and deservedly so, but it was all set up by F&D.

Joe Ross 3 years, 6 months ago

It's time to give this team some credit. I, for one, have been critical--and rightly so--of their defense both in the post and on the perimeter, their passing, their intensity, and their mentality. But the resume they are building is beginning to speak of the character of this team. There has been drastic improvement in the play of Kelly Oubre and Jamari Traylor, and satisfactory improvement in Ellis and Alexander. Mason and Graham are dependable points and Wayne Selden and Brannen Greene provide lifts in critical game situations. This is a better team than the one that played Kentucky, and they are certainly better than the one that played Temple. Credit also to Coach Self, because a team doesn't get to where we are without being properly prepared. We have gone from a ragged team of soft primadonnas to blue collar factory workers who can now see the dividend of effort.

We are moving in the right direction and praise should be given to this team; however, our biggest potential enemy at this very moment is the satisfaction that comes after a huge win like this. They should revel in the win tonight, but wake up ready to saw some more wood. Ive seen it way too often where we respond to a win of this magnitude by coming out flat and losing to a team which is clearly more inferior. TCU just gave WV all it could handle, and almost eeked out a win in the Mountaineers' own house despite being 1-4 in conference play (now moving to 1-5). The lesson? Don't sleep on anyone and respect every opponent as if they are capable of beating you. The win tonight will mean much less if we lose to TCU this coming Wednesday.

KJ Quartermaine 3 years, 6 months ago

"I, for one, have been critical--and rightly so"

That is why you are Joe Ross, message board poster, and Bill Self is head coach of the Kansas Jayhawks AKA the best coach in America.

You lose. But thanks for playing

Joe Ross 3 years, 6 months ago

If none of us offered opinions there would be no comments. When everyone offers them respectfully, we all win.

Walter Bridges 3 years, 6 months ago

Joe, as we rarely agree on certain topics such as recruiting, I do appreciate your thoughtful arguments that never include ad hominem attacks. KJ obviously doesn't respect this open forum where fans can agree, disagree and even take a few good shots below the belt.

What would be the point if it was any other way?

Brad Farha 3 years, 6 months ago

Come on KJ. Joe makes solid points and backs them up with thoughtful rationale. You don't have to agree with him, but at least explain why you think he's losing.

KJ Quartermaine 3 years, 6 months ago

I did, hence, why I quoted him. I disagree in relation to his "rightfully so" comment. How exactly was he right? His "points" mean nothing to me. He was taking about a 15-3 squad with a top 3 RPI, prior to the Tejas matchup. He was not "rightfully so" correct about anything regarding his previous criticism

Rodney Crain 3 years, 6 months ago

Even after the KY or Temple game? He was rightly so then right?

Walter Bridges 3 years, 6 months ago

That's funny, you say "His "points" mean nothing to me" but here you are commenting on something you claim to be without meaning.

I call that self-delusional or hypocritical..your choice.

Rodney Crain 3 years, 6 months ago

That is why Joe Ross is a thoughtful message board poster and KJ well, you are not, AKA just a pointless post.

Did not know you can lose at posting???

Huh.

Is there a score sheet somewhere? Championship trophies? Who keeps score?

Aaron Paisley 3 years, 6 months ago

Is Bill Self not critical of his team? Is this not statistically the worst team of the Bill Self era? 2 of the 3 worst losses in the Bill Self era (including the 4th worst loss in school history) occurred this season. Criticism of this team's defense was justified early on because this team was playing a lot of bad defense. If you think us (the fans) were critical, Bill Self was 10x harder on his players than we the fans were because their play wasn't up to his standards.

Walter Bridges 3 years, 6 months ago

I think just about everyone has had moments when we were down on the team w/the possible exception of 'KJ Quartermaine'. If we lose to TCU at home...well you get it.

KJ, get your head out of your ***

Len Shaffer 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm trying to remember if they ever played this well last year.

I tend not to remember specifics that much of previous years, other than how the season ended, but does anyone know if they ever had a game that was this complete? If not, this could be a good sign for the tournament.

Joe Ross 3 years, 6 months ago

My opinion is that they did not. Here are the reasons:

1. Lack of turnovers. It would be hard to find a game in ANY season where Coach Self has been here where we have had so few. In fact, I think I saw a stat that said the last time we committed only 3 turnovers was in 1966.

2. Sustained intensity. After being down 11-2, Kansas had its foot on the gas the whole game, and importantly got contributions from all 8 guys that played. Ive seen Kansas play inspired basketball before, but for 37 minutes or so consecutively? In fact, Coach Self said after the game that (paraphrasing) a play contained the best hustle he's ever seen as head coach.

3. When you consider that this team does not have the superstars of previous years (including two top-3 draft picks last season) with the context of the game situation facing them (not having played well against height all season, playing on the road, the pressure of playing in a very close race in a conference that has probably never had so many outstanding teams at once), it's amazing to me that this particular group of guys was able to respond the way they did. I haven't seen these guys play better basketball this year even within the friendly confines of Allen. This was a huge step up.

Aaron Paisley 3 years, 6 months ago

KU didn't play 37 minutes consecutive minutes though. UT did retake the lead and push to 6 points I believe at the start of the second half before Self called another early timeout to relight the fire. I also don't think Oubre played a very good game yesterday either. Jonathan Holmes got off to a great start while Oubre guarded him. I'm not concerned about Oubre because it wasn't an effort issue, he just had off day and that happens from time to time.

Other than those two, I agree that this was the best game all around that KU has played and I loved watching them absolutely destroy UT's zone which is something we haven't seen in 3 years.

Joe Ross 3 years, 6 months ago

I accept the correction. You are right. Every word.

Joe Ross 3 years, 6 months ago

“That’s the best game...we’ve played in a long time. I mean maybe years, in large part because we took care of the ball...". Coach Self

KJ Quartermaine 3 years, 6 months ago

Of course they played this well last year. You pointed out that you cannot recall much Kansas basketball prior to this year. Nonetheless, your question is funny considering Self is the best coach in America, and every one of his Kansas editions have played to extremely high levels at one point or another during those respective seasons (2003-04 to current).

The Kansas State game at Allen was one example of them playing to the level you witnessed today. A game that I happened to be sitting front row for. That game featured Andrew Wiggins signature play while at KU, the dunk heard round' the world. The Jayhawks won 86-60.

Another example of a game where they played close to the level we saw against Texas yesterday, would be against West Virginia at AFH.

On a side-note, if this team can get anywhere near where the 2012-13 team was defensively, watch out. And I agree, what we witnessed against Texas does bode well for Mach and hopefully all they way into Early-April

KJ Quartermaine 3 years, 6 months ago

The poster never said they specifically had to be road games. This is why I hate message boards, because of people like you and Joe Ross, always looking to disagree "in the spirit of discussion" and for no other reason. I refuse to read Joe's ridiculous post on this topic. I just won't, because I already know it doesn't have any merits. He only wants to disagree with me. So his point are not credible. Considering I was seated front row for one of the examples I provided. Peace, have a nice life everybody

Rodney Crain 3 years, 6 months ago

Does this mean you are not going to post any more? If so then please disregard the rest of this...

Just to check you, you disagreed with him, but no one can disagree with you?

Anyone who wants to disagree are not credible? Got to ask are your rules to post to you available before hand, in a link or something? Just want to review them before I reply to you again.

But you did read his posts, you mean you will not read them anymore, starting ..... Now umm Now (think Kramer in Seinfeld deciding not to talk)

To your point statisically both games you referenced were on par with the win against Texas. Keep in mind that we lost @Texas by 12 last year, where the game we are talking about was played by way, against basically the same Texas team plus M. Turner. So to Joe's point, apples to apples, it was a very good "road win" this year. With no length on KU. You are right he did not say road or home. See next point, explains why it is easy to disagree with someone who says something is Absolute. I agree with you we did play some very good games last year.

Just me, but whenever anyone says "the best coach in America" it makes me uncomfortable. Absolutes are so rare in life. I like "one of the best coaches in America in the college game". Especially about human beings. But that is just me disagreeing. You can say what you want here.

You can say what you want here, so that means that as long as you abide by the LJW TOS, anyone else gets to as well. Its their site. Means you can also choose to reply or not as well.

Just my thoughs KJ... again if you are out, not going to post anymore, I wish you good luck in whatever you take on next.

Erich Hartmann 3 years, 6 months ago

(Man, kinda hard to shoot down someone's post when ya admit ya wont even read it? How can one be critical of the content, when admitting one has not read that content one supposedly disagrees with?)

My thought is that since we cant throw darts at the team after a "near flawless" performance, some feel we must throw darts at somebody, so lets throw 'em at fellow KU fans, eh? Why. Who cares to read that ?

Micky Baker 3 years, 6 months ago

Erich,

In fairness, Joe Ross has been one of those throwing darts at the team after some of the games, including some of those we have won. In this particular post, he did say that it's time to give the team credit for improvements that were evident in this game. Joe has also said some things about the fans, but he is making a genuine effort to get past it and he has done it in recent weeks. Some fans remember what he said though. There are others that hold grudges against people and won't respond to posts. I can name two that have posted on this article alone, but they already know who they are and it isn't who you're addressing.

3 Turnovers clearly stands out. But when we had only 8 at Baylor, I do not believe Joe Ross gave them credit for that then. Nothing against Joe, he has an opinion but nobody has to read it if they don't want to.

There are others that would rather certain people leave this website, and this doesn't include Joe Ross. They all know who they are.

However, I do not agree that was nearly flawless. It did demonstrate obvious improvements. Some aspects of the game we were nearly flawless such as how well we protected the ball in our possessions. We still shot for a lower percentage than we are capable of. We missed some shots in close that should be high percentage shots. I would say we missed at least 7 or 8 shots up close. We shot for a lower percentage from the three point line than we have for the season.

Mason, Ellis, and Alexander shot for lower percentages than they should have given the shots that they missed. We could have won this game by 25 if we played a truly near flawless game. This is not a knock on these players, however. I think each of the players get that pointing these things is mostly constructive and I'm sure that Self pointed these things out in the film session or that the players themselves recognized it on their own.

This team still has a lot of room to improve, but I think that the mental aspect of the game is progressing quite nicely. We still need to be more physical and we need to recognize when the other team has transition opportunities quicker so we get back on defense faster. It could be just a matter of a half a second of time trying to get a steal in the other team's back court that allows them get an easy bucket on the other hand. Just turn and run to the other end and find your guy while one makes sure to stop the ball carrier.

Walter Bridges 3 years, 6 months ago

"This is why I hate message boards, because of people like you and Joe Ross, always looking to disagree "in the spirit of discussion" and for no other reason. I refuse to read Joe's ridiculous post on this topic."

Then how do you know what he posted? Osmosis?

Gerry Butler 3 years, 6 months ago

you know what we saw yesterday? we saw a TEAM. a complete team effort, each and everyone who saw playing time having a part of a HUGE road win. this was a complete, all around sweet victory. love our guards, and when they are in together its difficult for other teams, when we play Kelly & Brennan at the same time which we have at times we can be very dangerous from the outside, we lead as they pointed out yesterday, we lead the conference in 3 pt fg pct. we have 3 very solid 3pt threats, Kelly, Frank Brennan, Brennan has such a sweet stroke always loved that kids shot and then Wayne and Devonte even can make a 3 every now and then. Perry played great, Cliff was strong. one of the things I liked the most was how we competed on the boards. like coach said Texas other then Kentucky is a big as we will see this yr. just a complete game couldn't be any prouder but like someone else has said now we have to follow this up, can't let down GO HAWKS

Roger Ortega 3 years, 6 months ago

I felt the announcers were a little too pro Texas in the beginning and they even referred to Oubre as a junior, later they got it right. However, they said something that I totally agreed with. For such a young team we were playing so poised. Bill is doin something right with these youngsters and I couldn't be more proud!

Ryan Michael 3 years, 6 months ago

They were saying his name, not his class... Kelly Oubre Jr.

Joe Joseph 3 years, 6 months ago

This team will continue to struggle and play poorly at times, but this game will serve as the bench mark for what this team is capable of.

One of the most enjoyable college basketball games I have watched in a while.

Walter Bridges 3 years, 6 months ago

Good points...this game does show how well we can play when we put egos aside and team ball.

Not everyone played great. KO certainly was a little off but his excitement clearly showed when his teammates made big plays while he wasn't on the floor. I think KO will be a superstar and really wish he would stick around another season.

How good could this team be if everyone returned?

Brian Skelly 3 years, 6 months ago

While I still believe there are going to be some ebbs in the flow of our game going forward, today was the first day I looked at the team and thought we could do some damage in the tournament. Doesnt mean we will or wont, it just feels more possible now.

I think the low number of turnovers was really the thing that made us look so great though. Captain obvious, I know, but it does show what can happen when you take care of the basketball.

A big hurdle cleared yesterday, but there are more to come. I feel more confident about us clearing the others though after yesterday. Rock Chalk folks!

Tony Bandle 3 years, 6 months ago

Oakville Oddities:

1] I want to first thank the refs for letting both teams play with a reasonable amount of contact, thus avoiding two parades to the free throw lines.

2] Definitely a game to build on, although it may discourage a lot of teams from zoning the Hawks...can anyone remember a better shooting three point team than this one??......I can't!!

3] Texas Tech beats Iowa State, TCU almost beat WV on the road, Kansas State is 5-2??!!....the Rapture must be just around the corner.

4] After watching Frank and Devonte play, I'm beginning to understand a little better why Conner Frankamp headed west.

5] KJ..I didn't read one part of Joe Ross's post that didn't make sense or was overly critical. I read your response to the "rightfully so" and can understand your frustration but we can all agree, despite their strong start, the Hawks were not playing anywhere near consistent to the potential they are showing now. [Where's Hot Rod when we need him?? :) ]

6] TCU is a TRAP GAME if I have ever seen one. 16-3, back to the Top Ten, the "Traylor Trailer" been shown all over the country, the Toads knowing they've beaten us before...Hawks be ready!!!!!

7] I am beginning to wish that Svi would have taken a red shirt this season to build up his body and mind for NCAA Division One competition. Oh well, he'll be ready next season.

Walter Bridges 3 years, 6 months ago

My only issue is with point seven and it is VERY minor. I don't see Svi sticking around for 4 years so red shirt or not probably won't matter.

Rodney Crain 3 years, 6 months ago

1, agree, 2, agree, 3 I hope not, I hope its just parity, at least till we win it...lol, 4 yup he was not going to beat either of those guys out of PT

1. I was not able to get to sleep till 7am this morning, just got up I have responded to KJ. :) Thanks Tony for the shout out...

6, agree, we can really take no games off, 7 he is only playing (not this season) two years. He has options I am sure he did not expect to sit on the bench, he might be a candidate to leave after the season.

Erich Hartmann 3 years, 6 months ago

I recall talk about Svi's NBA eligibility status, because of age, meant that he wouldnt be eligible x 2yrs. Meaning Self/KU have Svi x 2yrs. Some mpg are better than no mpg, so what a great teaching time this frosh year is for Svi, is my view. Of course, Svi could decide to bolt for Europe at any time he chooses. Great kid, sooo much potential. Best place for him is to learn with and from Greene, Oubre, Selden and Bill Self. Couldnt be happier that Self landed Svi. Some games he is a good matchup, and thus will play.

Just like I bet TX fans are cursing at Brannen Greene right about now...next season I bet a few opponent fans will be cursing at Sviatoslav Mikhailiuk...

Aaron Paisley 3 years, 6 months ago

Svi does have to wait until the 2016 draft before he can enter the NBA, but he could choose to play professional basketball in Europe whenever he chooses. Considering his parents profession's though, I imagine he'll stay at KU and could possibly be working to graduate in 3 years and could possibly stay at KU a 3rd year if that's the goal.

Erich Hartmann 3 years, 6 months ago

Think "Self-ishly": Self's stuff needs/requires experienced guys running it. Mason+Selden got a lot of mpg last year, and it is paying off. And praise god there are occasional frosh kids to just "get it" like Davonte Graham. Oubre is a quick study, too, as he is still a frosh, but seems to "get it" now. Selden is a quick study also, a starter from Day 1, who Self said this pre-season "gets it". Now if big Wayne can get his 2pt % up, its all good...