Saturday, January 24, 2015

Play of the year?: Traylor’s hustle draws high praises

Kansas forward Jamari Traylor (31) dives out of bounds for an attempted save before the Jayhawks' bench during the first half, Saturday, Jan. 24, 2015 at Frank Erwin Center in Austin, Texas.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self pleased with Jayhawks' efforts in win at Texas

Kansas basketball coach Bill Self talks about the Jayhawks' Saturday road win at Texas, a victory in which he saw few issues for his team.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Brannen Greene and Cliff Alexander on KU's win at Texas

Kansas basketball subs Brannen Greene and Cliff Alexander combined for 29 points off the bench in KU's win at Texas. They discussed the Jayhawks' win with the media.

Download podcast

KANSAS 75, TEXAS 62

Box score

— Jamari Traylor, in one first-half frenzy of Kansas University’s 75-62 win at Texas Saturday afternoon, went flying into the Frank Erwin Center stands while chasing an offensive rebound. And he wasn't done there.

After running to the other end of the court, the junior forward dove on a loose ball near halfcourt, and knocked it off UT’s Demarcus Holland. The play ended with a basket and free throw from Frank Mason III. Traylor had eight floor burns in the game.

“He (Self) said it hands down was one of his favorite plays this year,” Traylor said. “He was happy the way the guys came out and competed. That was one of the highlights of the game for him, I guess.”

Let Traylor describe the action that so impressed Self and the bench: “I got my shot blocked. I ran down and blocked one. The ball bounced to me. I had to jump inbounds real quick to save it. I tried to get a good offensive rebound (off a Brannen Greene miss). I ended up falling into the crowd, falling on a cameraman. I was on my way back down, the ball happened to be rolling. I ran and dove to it. Frank (Mason III) ended up getting an and-one. It was pretty crazy.

“I feel it gave us a lot of energy, pumped up energy into everybody and got everybody going. I looked at the bench and everybody was hyped so I was like, ‘Oh man, it must have been something,’” Traylor added.

More news and notes from Kansas at Texas

By the Numbers: Kansas wins 75-62 at Texas

By the Numbers: Kansas wins 75-62 at Texas

Comments

Jack Jones 4 years, 9 months ago

This hustle play by Traylor was reminiscent of the great play Oubre made in the OU game at a similarly clutch moment. Both plays were so much more than just the play. Those kinds of exceptional effort have a huge impact on the rest of the team, and the outcome of the games.

Reggie Flenory 4 years, 9 months ago

I caught the Holy Ghost and started speaking in tongues in my apartment when that dive play happened such great passion and determination on that play and to get the bucket at the end was just awesome

Len Shaffer 4 years, 9 months ago

I hear you, Reggie. I just started laughing giddily like I was in an asylum.

4 years, 9 months ago

I wouldn't be surprised if Coach gets a pic of that hustle and has it framed on his office wall. Now he can take down that one of Craft diving on the floor. This one will be the one to show recruits. RCJH

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 9 months ago

I was in section 80 between two of the student sections in sections 79 and 81. My favorite part of that sequence was the student sections whining about a foul not being called. I'm so happy I finally got to see KU beat Texas in Austin in person. I was previously 0-4 before today.

Jack Jones 4 years, 9 months ago

I guess it's true, even in sports, that good things happen to good people, (AKA, Jayhawk fans) who wait ~ whether patiently, or impatiently.

Michael Leiker 4 years, 9 months ago

Plays like this are why people who are not KU fans can't turn the TV off when KU is on. When they are playing hard and being active it's the best entertainment in college basketball.

Reggie Flenory 4 years, 9 months ago

very well said the entertainment value is through the roof Kansas has basketball fans all over the nation when I'm in my apartment building no one touches the TV in the day room I have it blasting Kansas basketball thus I've converted a few people here in Anaheim California lmao!!!

Dirk Medema 4 years, 9 months ago

Jack - I'm right with you on the Oubre play in the OU game, which was one play has opposed to what I would call a great series of plays by 'Mari. In Kelly's case, he didn't just dive after a lose ball, he knocked it lose in the first place, then ran past the OU player to dive and keep him from retrieving it, then got up and chased it down a second time in another FB, all in the same play. A steal/forced TO and 2 floor burns.

It seems to me that Kelly's effort plays over the past couple weeks have helped lghit a fire under the rest of the team as well. Obviously, Coach had a 90 minute conversation with them Sunday, but I wouldn't doubt if he didn't use Kelly as a positive example during that conversation. It is also interesting to me that the he didn't get minutes early in the season, because he wasn't getting after it. That also probably had a lot to do with thinking too much, and not just reacting to the ball. I think the announcers commented during a recent game that the coaches talked to him about it being okay to make mistakes of commission when it is accompanied by great effort.

It is so nice to watch this team lately. Sort of reminds me of 2012, without the walk-on minutes.

Mike Riches 4 years, 9 months ago

Self said it best after the game:

“I thought that was the best play I’ve seen since I’ve been at Kansas. I don’t think there’s ever been a better hustle play than that one.”

Now that is a compliment!

W Keith Swinehart II 4 years, 9 months ago

The scripting and cinematography of the dramatic televised sequence deserved an academy award.

Gerry Butler 4 years, 9 months ago

love Jamari's passion and energy for the game, may not be the most talented offensively but the effort he gives seems like game in game out is undeniable. like has been stated by others that kind of play rubs of on others, he and Kelly both as stated Kelly in the previous game and Jamari all the time that's the one thing about this team they seem to have an edge, an aggression, maybe not pretty all the time but the grit of this team is unreal. pretty well seen the gauntlet from this team had big leads only to lose them but still find THAT way to still win, have came back form huge deficits, been in multiple close games and all wins. I think after the Kentucky game at the start of the year several people I included wondered dam what kinda of a team we would have this yr. just more credit to coach self, credit to this team think they are getting it, think they are finding their identity, each one has a role o this team and its starting to fit, I think this team is ALOT different in one aspect then previous and that's like they kinda have a little chip, or whatever some of the players show some nastyiness CLIFF and even KELLY to an extent love it GO HAWKS

Gerry Butler 4 years, 9 months ago

Michael Bennett 4 years, 9 months ago

When Traylor's at his best he reminds me of a junior Dennis Rodman. Similar builds and tough hustle plays, rebounding, and defense.

Erich Hartmann 4 years, 9 months ago

That's a great comparison, as they both represent 6'8" hustle. I was a huge, huge MJ fan, and thus understood what Rodman added to that Bulls roster...which made his theatrical drama tolerable, I suppose. Team context.

What I like about Jamari, is his relentlessness. He is just a hard worker. And while I dont think Jamari is crazy-kooky like Rodman, he definitely has a fire-breathing attitude/swagger about him. It works for him, as he has largely learned to harness that energy for the positive on the hardwood. And Jamari is also learning how to keep that swagger in check off the court.

Love seeing a young man grow under Self's wing. Jamari is in the perfect setting. As long as he keeps everything in perspective, he will do great. He is at least 'overseas pro ball' material all ready. He needs a face-up jumper to have an all-around game, but he's got another year. Its only basketball. Those skills can be added.

Ryan Zimmerman 4 years, 9 months ago

Alexander should be starting... Taylor's lack of consistency and offensive impact is glaring. Glad he dove for a ball or two, but still isn't putting the ball in the bucket. Despite Traylor averaging more minutes a game, Cliff has him beat substantially on PPG, RPG and BPG.

It's time for Cliff to get the start

Arthur Ankeney 4 years, 9 months ago

What Cliff brings off the bench is important. Having two guys who can score in Greene and Alexander allows our bench to put up points as good as our starters. While I do not think anybody would disagree with you that Cliff is the better player and more talented, I agree with the starting lineup. Traylor plays good defense and gets after the glass and the energy tends to help us get going when the rest of the team starts flat. While he does not necessarily help a lot on the offensive end, I think he plays a key role starting and that allows Alexander to shine with the second squad.