Friday, October 5, 2012

Boot Camp ends early

Jayhawks survive early-morning conditioning drills

KU coach Bill Self huddles with the Jayhawks after a Boot Camp conditioning session in this file photo from 2006.

Perry Ellis didn’t particularly enjoy hopping out of bed at 5 a.m. and staying up until 10 p.m. or so the past two weeks.

“I’m not going to lie. It was long days, but we got through it. We’re finally done. It feels great,” said Ellis, Kansas University’s freshman basketball forward from Wichita.

He was speaking with a smile on his face Thursday after the 10th and final up-before-the-crack-of-dawn, hourlong Bill Self Boot Camp conditioning workout in KU’s practice facility adjacent to Allen Fieldhouse.

The Jayhawks, who had two-a-days on the first day (Sept. 24), finished Boot Camp a day early as a reward from their ever-demanding coach.

“I think it put it through the roof,” Ellis said of his personal conditioning. “We’ll just see where it goes from here.”

The Jayhawks now will taper a bit leading up to Late Night in the Phog and the start of the 2012-13 season a week from today in Allen Fieldhouse.

“I believe it was one of the better ones we had,” Self said Thursday, referring to his 10th KU Boot Camp. “We got off to such a bad start we had to repeat last Monday morning’s workout in the afternoon. Guys at that point in time realized the only way they’d want to do this was do it together, be positive and have great attitudes.

“I think they were feeling kind of sorry for themselves at the start of it and nervous. It got really good. We were hard on them, still I think they got a sense of pride from this one. I was pleased with it. Now, that doesn’t help you get the ball in the basket. I think we’ll draw from this over the course of the season, which I hope will be a big positive for us.”

Which individuals impressed?

“They were all good, but Kevin Young ... wow,” Self said of the senior forward. “Kevin Young and (senior forward) Travis Releford to me just stand out.”

The 6-foot-8, 190-pound Young said it was “fun. I love to run so it wasn’t as hard as what I expected. I could do it all day. As a team I think it brought us together. It obviously helped us on our defensive skills (running slides), being able to stick together and do it as a group.”

He mentioned the work of freshman guard Andrew White III. “He did pretty good on his sprints (on final day). He came up first on a couple of them. He impressed me a lot,” Young said.

“Elijah, Jeff and Travis ... they’ve been through it multiple times,” Young added of seniors Elijah Johnson, Jeff Withey and Releford. “They showed their leadership getting through it and encouraging everybody else.”

Releford has survived five Boot Camps, counting his red-shirt season.

“It wasn’t as bad as I thought it’d be,” Releford said. “At the beginning, I thought it’d be tough on a lot of the new guys. They overcame it completely. All of them stood out a bunch. I didn’t think a lot of them would complete it (running sprints, slides and backboard touches for an hour straight five days a week). They proved me wrong.”

Ellis believes completing the early-morning conditioning drills, followed by afternoon weightlifting and pick-up games and nighttime tutoring sessions, says a lot about his teammates.

“I would say we got a feel for each other. We gained chemistry as a team,” he said.

Comments

Michael Luby 1 year, 6 months ago

Im thinking our offense will be more by committee this year. Nearly all of our starters will average 10+ points. It'll be fun to watch! Cant we start the season early?

TexasHawk44 1 year, 6 months ago

AlohaHawk- you may have met him, but Don Johnson was on Miami Vice and does not in any way resemble "The Rock" His name is Dwayne Johnson. In comparison, Don is more "pebble" than Rock.

imzcount 1 year, 6 months ago

You guys just have to realize that Jaybate doesn't like to be criticized.

Jay Dogger 1 year, 6 months ago

Priest Fontaine 1 year, 6 months ago

Jordan ads on the KUSPORTS site? Where you at Adidas???

TexasHawk44 1 year, 6 months ago

I never felt we were really ever in this race to begin with.

soapisurfriend 1 year, 6 months ago

According to ESPNChicago, Jabari Parker has cut KU. He reportedly cut his list to BYU, Stanford, Duke, MSU, and Florida.

TexasHawk44 1 year, 6 months ago

Alohahawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Sweet sweat, it is. We'll always have a place in our hearts for Sasha.

CWGOKU 1 year, 6 months ago

So, Sasha is back on the team? Sweet.

REHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

For Bill Self Basketball, Kevin Young is the perfect insert from the bench. Yeah, he might start occasionally until Perry rolls with the flow. But after Christmas, barring injury or unlikely social mayhem, KY's primary role will be to leap off the bench to turn things around. As he continues to develop as a steady player, he is likely to clock lots of dollars playing on the European pro circuit. After all, he will again be a key ingredient in the 8-man rotation which will have navigated to a Final Four in his final two years of collegiate play!

RockChalk26 1 year, 6 months ago

Good to see that Danny Manning made the trip from Tulsa to attend Boot Camp. Also good to see that we freed up a scholarship to bring back C.J. Giles.

hammerhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Golly. This is a really brutal thread!! I'm just happy to be talking and reading about the Mighty Kansas Jayhawks BASKETBALL team. Coach Self is preparing another powerful conference team that will be destined for greatness. I love the phrase "reloading" because that's what we do at Kansas. I never take anything for granted when it comes to college sports, but I always feel good about our chances - of beating kaystate, again, as well as the rest of 'em.

offline 1 year, 6 months ago

The Harrison twins is a great loss for KU and just shows what a mess this recruiting at KU is. Self has been out recruited the last 5 years and it shows with what KU has coming back and what is coming in. The good ones get away from Self. Calipari out rucuits Self at all levels. Calipari is the one coach Ku should have went after. KUs loss.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

Harrison Twins to UK..does that help us or hurt us recruitment-wise. Obviously, we were never on their radar but what collateral recruitment benefit does this possibly bring?

Any Thoughts???

jgkojak 1 year, 6 months ago

Interesting - I thought Young showed a lot of promise last year -

Wondering if he put on some weight, got in condition and got his head on straight, if he'll end up starting?

That would give us a 4 Senior starting line-up (Johnson, Releford, Young, Withey) and then McLemore -- would take the pressure off of Ellis and give us a hell of a lot of experience - that core 4 went to the NC game together.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

WOW!! Maybe we can all take a deep breath and loosen up a bit. As Monty Python used to say "..and now for something completely different."

I would be most curious if you KU posters would tell me who the most famous person you actually met and talked with. For me, soccer legend Pele and, on a NY subway, Kathleen Turner.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 6 months ago

I want to pose a question for the board. I have been through a very similar "Boot Camp" with my college coach/team back in the day and I hated every minute of it. With that said, even though I hated it, I do admit it does bring out a "Team" concept and a sense of unity for the players. However, I always felt as a player that that my physical pounding during that two weeks took an extreme toll on my body, by losing weight, aches and pains in my knees and for me it always seemed like it took the rest of October and November to get back to healthy again.

Anyway, this is my question...........................most coaches these days have experienced or know of "Boot Camp" so Kansas and Bill Self are pretty well known nationally for doing this and I am curious if you think other top coaches use this against Kansas as a negative recruiting tool?

I mean, we all know what Divas most of these "Top Recruits" are these days so I am curious whether or not it has an impact. Do you really see guys like Shabazz Muhammed, Julius Randle, Andrew Wiggins, or Jabari Parker wanting to go through Boot Camp? I am not trying to stir the pot.......just trying to get some dialogue. Maybe I am thinking too much into it?

TexasHawk44 1 year, 6 months ago

One doesn't need a research prosect to understand that Jaybate is skin sack full of stupidity.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

(cont)

Looking ahead, 2013 is where Kansas can do damage. Self already has one of the premier guards in the country in Conner Frankamp (Wichita/North) on board. Wing Brannen Greene (Monroe, Ga./Tift County) is a 6-7 shooting specialist. Together, they give Self a pair of elite snipers behind the arc. -- Dave Telep

The expectation

Self is quietly telling people that McLemore may be the best freshman he's ever had at Kansas. And the much-improved Withey is a logical candidate for any national defensive player of the year awards this season. But if there is a key to Kansas' season, it may be Johnson's ability to handle the point guard position. Johnson was patient enough to back up guys like Xavier Henry, Sherron Collins, Josh Selby, Brady Morningstar and Tyrel Reed in his first two years as a Jayhawk, but he came into his own as a junior. In fact, he averaged 15 points a game down the stretch of Kansas' run to the Final Four last season. Now, the pressure will be on Johnson to not only score but set up his teammates, as well. While not a naturally gifted ball handler, he is a good passer and an effective ball mover in Self's offense. If he can grow into a playmaking guard, as Taylor did, Kansas has an excellent opportunity to go far in the NCAA tournament again. A spot in the Elite Eight is a realistic goal, and another run to the Final Four is a definite possibility. -- Fran Fraschilla

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

(cont)

The Freshmen

A pair of ESPN 100 commitments highlight a Kansas recruiting class that checked in at No. 13 nationally. If there's a buzz word surrounding the class, one might be inclined to use "balance." Elite KU classes are typically constructed around one or two headline recruits, but this is a foundation class that includes pieces to the long-term puzzle in Lawrence. Self can't bring back Robinson, so KU will try to replace his production with three frontcourt recruits. Ellis, a top 40 recruit, is the freshman big that enters with the most hype and best chance to play heavy minutes early. He's a versatile forward who scores in a variety of ways, has a nose for the rim in the lane and is a good finisher. Ellis has a comfort zone around the basket that will serve him well. He's also adept at playing up to 18 feet away from the basket and facing the rim. In the Big 12, he's unlikely to be the guy who goes from the wing to the rim, but he's a savvy player capable of running Kansas' offense and sharing the basketball. Mix in his winner's pedigree, in-state upbringing and skill set, and Self has a valuable freshman. Zach Peters, the first player to commit to Kansas, is a strong kid. He doesn't have a lot of natural quickness, but he owns the best perimeter touch of the freshman bigs and, like Ellis, comes from a winning situation (he's the former high school teammate of KU's top 2013 target, forward Julius Randle). Peters improved during the summer and has the physical maturity to play as a freshman. The final frontcourt member of this class is Landen Lucas. Like Peters, athleticism is not Lucas' calling card, but low-post play, sealing his man and playing around the free throw line as a passer are his primary skills. It's easy to picture him setting up in the high post and finding cutters to the rim. On the blocks, Lucas is a catch, turn and seal player who has a history of amassing strong rebounding numbers. Pencil Ellis into the rotation early and look for Peters and Lucas to push each other for playing time. Andrew White is going to play as a freshman because of his skill level. He's a wing player with great size (6-6) and a terrific stroke from 3-point range. As a junior, White was a mid-major recruit. He wasn't willing to accept that, began working harder and by last fall was an upper-tier national recruit. His ability to knock down 3s gets him on the floor. Rio Adams is the X factor. He's in limbo in terms of position. He's neither a point guard nor a pure scoring guard, but he brings a heavy dose of athletic ability and may earn early playing time based on his work on defense. Adams has all of the physical attributes to turn himself into a problem for opponents on that end.

(cont)

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

(cont) The flaw: Inexperience on offense

Stat to know: 56.2 percent

You rarely will see a rotation with three seniors that poses this much of a mystery. Withey, Elijah Johnson and Travis Releford are all talented veterans, but none of them has ever functioned as the featured player in the offense for an entire season. They didn't have to. Last season, that task fell to Thomas Robinson and Tyshawn Taylor, who during their minutes combined to account for a whopping 56.2 percent of the shots attempted by this offense. This season, those shots will fall to players unaccustomed to carrying the load for the Jayhawks. We're going to learn a lot about this offense in November, and I'll be watching to see who's taking all these newly available shots. Freshman Ben McLemore, for one, is expected to get his fair share. McLemore failed to qualify academically last season, but he's been earning high praise from outside observers in the offseason, and even grudging praise from Self ("Ben is good offensively"). Another freshman who might make his presence known early is Perry Ellis, a 6-foot-8 McDonald's All-American from Wichita, Kan. Self's shown a fondness throughout his career for high-low sets on offense, and if Ellis is as good as advertised, it's not too difficult to imagine him and Withey creating open looks for each other in the paint. Lastly, don't forget the old guys. During the Jayhawks' European tour in August, it was Johnson who led the team in shot attempts. You might recall Taylor suffering through a dreadful shooting slump during the NCAA tournament, and for long stretches it was Johnson who represented his team's best hope for a made 3. If Johnson can handle that pressure, he likely can expand his role on offense for a team that figures to dominate on defense. -- John Gasaway.

(cont)

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

Great article at ESPN on KU .. here's a cut and paste of the whole thing for those that can't get to it.

The key: The intimidator Stat to know: 17.4 percent Kansas did something remarkable during the 2012 NCAA tournament. It's not too much of an exaggeration to say the Jayhawks played their way into the national championship game despite being unable to make baskets. In their five tournament games leading up to the showdown with Kentucky, the Jayhawks' shooting was awful. They made less than half of their 2s and just 24 percent of their 3s. Yet they won every game (albeit by slim margins against Purdue, NC State and Ohio State). Kansas Jayhawks Last season: 32-7 (16-2 Big 12) Finished: Title game (lost to Kentucky)

2012-13 projected starting lineup G: Elijah Johnson (Sr.) G: Ben McLemore (Fr.) G: Travis Releford (Sr.) F: Perry Ellis (Fr.) C: Jeff Withey (Sr.)

Bill Self's team won those games with defense, of course, and if I may be even more specific, they won those games with Jeff Withey. In those five tournament games, opponents scored just 296 points on 333 possessions, while making just 39 percent of their attempts from inside the arc. Self's shot-blocking big man was a big reason behind the ugly number recorded by KU opponents. Withey's season totals for 2011-12 are impressive enough, goodness knows. But things get downright scary if you project his performance this season based on what he was able to do in the NCAA tournament against a very tough slate of opponents (Detroit, Purdue, NC State, North Carolina, Ohio State and Kentucky). Withey's block rate actually improved slightly, to the point where he blocked 17.4 percent of the 2s that opponents attempted during his minutes. And his foul rate went down to just 3.0 whistles per 40 minutes. Self likely has the best defender in the game, and that's why I won't be the least bit surprised if Kansas has the best defense in the nation this season. -- John Gasaway

(cont)

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 6 months ago

Using a file photo from 2006 has mysterious overtones. Were no photos allowed this year? Is Gary Bedore MIA from Boot Camp? Is Gary off on a secret mission? That same file photo has now been used at least three times over articles relating to this year's Boot Camp. Why not just leave a photo out if it isn't relevant to the context of the story?

What gives LJW?

DDDHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Congrats to the team. Guys, we appreciate all of the hard work you are doing to get ready to provide all of us coach potatoes a season's worth of awesome entertainment!

Jayhawk470 1 year, 6 months ago

It would take something drastic for Self to end Boot Camp a day early, and if the team performed that well, then I look forward them having a great year. A National Championship may be in the offing this season!

hwtan 1 year, 6 months ago

For HCBS to call an end to the Boot Camp one day early as a reward speaks a lot for the experienced and yet young team about its team work and attitude. I am looking forward to another good year.

Rock Chalk!

Jay Dogger 1 year, 6 months ago

(continued)

So, of course, you said exactly what I thought you said even though you denied it. And it's just as crazy as I remembered. (HCBS's raise was as much as Chancelor BGL's entire salary.) I'm sure you will make an excuse and say I'm stupid (again) and try to put it in some sort of (irrelevant) context and blame me for misinterpreting your genius beliefs. But it's just a load of fecal matter that you pulled out of your arse and tried to pass off as a great thought.

You write in a way that talks down to your audience, and what's hidden in all the big words and complex jargon (that is rarely written clearly and never concisely) is that you're simply making it up. What you're saying is just garbage. You say so much garbage that you can't even keep it straight! You're a liar caught in your own lies! Also, you can't even use a comma correctly.

I mention this because it's so fun to be right when jaybate is so wrong. And it's a good reminder for everyone on this board to not take anything he says seriously. He also said we will redshirt two players this year (I say none). He also said I'm a Holocaust denier (I'm not). And he thinks a big highway is what is driving conference realignment (it's not, and his realignment predictions were as worthless as everyone else's).

Jaybate, you're the Dick Morris of this forum: forever making predictions that never come true.

You're also rude, a bully, a blow-hard, and an all-around jerk to people who don't deserve it. You do more childish name-calling than all the other people on here combined. And for some reason you have a giant ego and a vastly inflated sense of self-worth. Your delusion of grandeur is embarrassing. I can't believe you're a Jayhawk. Pity.

I love this forum. I think it's a great way to learn about Jayhawk hoops and about college basketball in general. I know it's not perfect and I'm often surprised by how antagonistic it can get when we're all rooting for the same team. But that's just the nature of the internet, especially since it's so anonymous. This is a pretty small community, especially compared to ESPN or Daily Beast or HuffPo or any national forum/comments section, which is why I actually care about it and participate. It's often my favorite thing I read all day and I hope it continues for a long time. I'm sure many of you agree.

Jaybate, this forum wouldn't be the same without you...and that's not a compliment. I really wish you would tone down the insults; it gets really ugly at times. Don't you notice this? Do you thrive off the attention? Do you not realize that it's mostly against you? Are you okay? Or are you in need of mental help? (Not that I care if you get any or not.)

Oh! I almost forgot: smiley face!!!

PS: A well done Boot Camp, 2012-13 Jayhawks. Well done.

RCJHGKU

Jay Dogger 1 year, 6 months ago

This post is specifically meant for jaybate. I'm sure some people will enjoy it because I'm calling him out on his illogical, ridiculous and foolish nonsense that he vainly and futily tries to pass off as wisdom, insight and helpful information. For those who find my responding to him annoying and totally off-topic to the article at hand, I apologize in advance.

Jaybate, in the Sept. 28 article about Bill Self's new contract I mentioned how you earlier claimed that someday university chancellors would make more money than the basketball coaches and asked if I was indeed accurately describing your crackpot theory. You replied, "Well, of course, you are wrong. You are almost always wrong. :-)" You then went on to explain why I was wrong using 11 paragraphs and insulting me 8 times with your standard MO, rude and pointless name-calling.

But you never actually specifically addressed what I asked you about specifically. So I again asked if you said what I thought you said to double-check if you were indeed denying that you said chancellors would someday make more money than hoops coaches. You replied, "I said what I said...I would never say the stupid things you say...This is how it is...You assert nonsense...I pull your pants down and paddle you...You say something that makes sense, and if you are nice, then I will praise you...You have yet to make sense...So: you're my speed bag...Next." I'll count that as a denial.

Despite your denials I still believed I was correct and that my memory was serving me well. But would I bother to go back and find that post of yours? Alas, I decided to give it a shot. A google search didn't work very well (mostly because you're so "prolific") but after some deep concentration I remembered where I was when I read your comment and from an email I sent that day I figured out when it occurred. So it only took 20 minutes to find the article, which was about 19 minutes more than you're worth, but I digress...

Sifting through your 5-page rant of drivel was far more annoying than searching for the article but by that time I was committed to the truth and exposing you for the fraud you are.

After 4 pages of pseudo-intellectual tripe here's what you wrote in your summation: "Somehow, the private sector oligarchs will figure a way to lay private sector management contracts on public universities, so that they can install their own chancellors and begin the process of picking the bones of the university clean. During this phase, chancellors will become phenomenally well compensated and make much more money than even the best basketball coaches." Emphasis added.

Here's the article and comments if anyone cares or has insomnia: http://www2.kusports.com/news/2012/aug/02/self-no-defense-no-problem-ku-upcoming-european-to/?mens_basketball

(continuing)

ParisHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

When's the last time Coach Self used the word "wow" to describe someone's performance at Boot Camp? High praise indeed for Young.

Robin Smith 1 year, 6 months ago

This sounds very promising. I'm super pleased to hear Young's name as the first mention from Self. Seeing what he did after a year away, in his first year on a whole different kind of stage and to think of what kind of improvement he might have made since the last season... I'd love to see him push for and possibly earn that starting spot -- it would mean he's performing at a very high level and his play could really elevate the team overall. Also excellent to hear Rele and White getting the mentions specifically and that the whole incoming group did well.

I am very excited for this season.

jayhawker97 1 year, 6 months ago

thanks for sharing, Gary. but please, don't you have a more recent boot-camp pic?

chriz 1 year, 6 months ago

I feel bad for Releford for having to do it an extra year! Ouch!