Saturday, October 8, 2011

Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy: No reason to play starters after second quarter

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Turner Gill

Kansas coach Turner Gill talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 70-28 loss to Oklahoma State on Oct. 8, 2011.

Download podcast

Toben Opurum on OSU loss: 'It's embarrassing'

Kansas outside linebacker Toben Opurum talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 70-28 loss to Oklahoma State on Oct. 8, 2011.

KU cornerback Greg Brown defends coach Turner Gill

KU cornerback Greg Brown defends coach Turner Gill following the Jayhawks' 70-28 loss to Oklahoma State on Oct. 8, 2011.

— Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy said pulling quarterback Brandon Weeden with three minutes left in the second quarter wasn’t meant to be a slight against Kansas.

The Cowboys went on to defeat the Jayhawks, 70-28, on Saturday at Boone Pickens Stadium.

“We were ahead far enough to where there was no reason to leave him in the game, and we could take everybody out,” Gundy said. “I like (KU coach) Turner Gill and I’ve met him. Not that we have to give mercy to anybody, but there’s no reason to leave him and (receiver Justin) Blackmon and those guys in when we’re ahead by — I don’t even know how many touchdowns we were ahead by.”

OSU actually was ahead 49-7 at the time, though backup quarterback Clint Chelf led the Cowboys to a touchdown on their final drive of the half to make it 56-7.

“I've never had to pull a quarterback that early,” OSU offensive coordinator Todd Monken said. “But I have been on the other end where the other team's quarterback came out really early and it didn't feel real good. Everything just kind of happened to make it go that way.”

Weeden certainly was productive during his limited time out there.

The senior completed 24 of 28 passes for 288 yards and five touchdowns.

His 85.7 percent completion percentage also set a new OSU single-game mark (minimum 20 attempts).

“That is one record that I will look at and take a lot of pride in,” Weeden said. “That means I'm being efficient, making good reads, making accurate throws and doing the right thing.

“ ... I want to be almost perfect. I was pretty close today.”

OSU continued throwing in the third quarter, even with a significant lead.

Chelf completed 14 of 21 passes for 206 yards and two touchdowns.

It was the first time ever that two Cowboys quarterbacks threw for at least 200 yards in the same game.

“It’s hard for us to just run it because that’s not what we do,” Gundy said. “In the last four minutes, we just put two backs in and ran it up the middle. Other than that, we have to run our offense. It’s only fair to those guys to go in there and execute the plays that they’ve practiced for two months.”

OSU’s 70 points were the most allowed by a Div. I defense this year.

Also, eight different players scored for the Cowboys.

“A lot of young men that give a lot to our football team had a chance to get out there and play in front of their moms and dads,” Gundy said. “That’s really a neat day and they get a big kick out of that, so overall, it was a good day for us.”

Comments

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 10 months ago

Espn just reported that OU's starters are not even going to make the trip to Lawrence next weekend.

Kirk 2 years, 10 months ago

Well they have to be wondering which records they could still break. Is there anything left?

David Leathers 2 years, 10 months ago

Didn't it mention that Stoops was staying behind as well to prepare for TT. I think his Special Teams coach is going to be the interim.

Marc Frey 2 years, 10 months ago

Not for our D, but certainly the rest of schedule is looking at what O records they can break. Mostly, the QBs know they can put up Heisman type numbers against us.

David Leathers 2 years, 10 months ago

The only thing I can say about Coach Gill and our program is he definitely "Turn-er" in the wrong direction.

Also he breaks records.

David Leathers 2 years, 10 months ago

Too many Chimay Belgian beers tonight.. should be ... He also breaks records. Or ... Also, he breaks records.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

There's a statement that no Division 1 coach should ever have to say -

".......I don’t even know how many touchdowns we were ahead by.”

That may be the motto of every team we play the rest of this season.

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 10 months ago

Did he really say that? That is the worst. Really, the worst.

741hawk 2 years, 10 months ago

The worst defense in FBS last season was Eastern Michigan, which gave up 7.4 yards per play. The worst BCS team was Indiana, which gave up 6.7 yards per play.

Prior to today's contest, KU was giving up 8.5 yards per play. They gave up 9.3 yards per play against, although OSU was in the prevent offense most of the 2nd half.

Another amazing stat -- KU was allowing .739 points PER PLAY prior to Saturday. Against OSU, they allowed over 1 point per play.

I notice that the posters have thinned due to lack of interst while most of the HCTG suppporters have FINALLY seen the light. Avove all else, this is embarassing to those who support the University.

741hawk 2 years, 10 months ago

FSUJHAWK 2 years, 10 months ago

No pain no gain. The greater the challenge the greater the reward. I can go on and on. Obviously this team and program are works in progress. It's a shame HCTG may not have the opportunity to succeed and build the program he envisions at KU. At a place like Kansas, time is the key requisite to success in a sport such as Kansas, where basketball is King.

Keep your chin up boys.

RCJHGKU !!!

yovoy 2 years, 10 months ago

I don't like the young men of my university getting drubbed, and making opponents look like they're the best team ever any more than other fans of our "U" do, but I agree with FSUJHAWK. I'm not saying that we have nearly enough talent on the field (yet) to compete, but I truly think we will. We are trying to make a palatable wine with young grapes, and many here want to drink it right now. We will have to wait, and we will have to be adult about how immature our team is on one side of the ball.

I'm SURE Gundy likes Gill - I've never known a coach whose team you can just walk over to be unpopular. I don't think he meant it like that, and I respect his rationale of letting his second team "get some" even if it's at our expense.

Many of us on here have been on both sides of being beaten as soundly as our team has, and we know how it feels. I think fewer of us on here have been around it long enough to realize that personnel and patience can make a huge difference, and that many times it doesn't take as long as it seems to be more competitive. We will get better. I think our offense (alone) would win us some games in a few other leagues, and we couldn't say that last year. Webb has developed into a much better QB than I ever thought he could - in 1 year. We've got some talent out there (on both sides of the ball), but just not enough that's mature enough yet.

I understand, many think our HC is too passive, of course he'd be labeled "cool" if we were winning. That's the difference between "passive" and "cool": W and L. I'd say he's calm - almost too calm, and I hope we will stick with him long enough that there will be a day that we'll be glad that he is/was so calm.

Keep your chin up boys. It will get better.

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 10 months ago

Yovoy, I appreciate your response. I've been on both sides in high school, and I know how it feels when nothing works and when everything works.

The problem, of course, is that it is not going to get better this year, and if we keep breaking records, then repeated drubbings will make it worse. Much worse. Then, I don't see where Gill can stay. It might not be fair, but what about the comment that boknows has posted below?

You might have patience, but the national media is already making really disparaging comments about KU which recruits are going to hear. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying whether or not Gill should be let go because I don't know about all the ins and outs, but how good can 2012-13 possibly be?

One good thing in all this is how the players are behind Coach Gill. No one on this board should ever say anything about what a good man he is.

If he is replaced, we should be screaming for Mike Leach. Can you imagine how much fun Saturdays could be?

boknowssports 2 years, 10 months ago

sadly we are becomming an national joke on some of the sports networks.

squawkhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

KU football is like the over indulged child looking for attention. Any attention, even bad, is desirable.

Joe Ross 2 years, 10 months ago

I really feel sorry for Gill. I think the handwriting is on the wall.

Armen Kurdian 2 years, 10 months ago

Not to defend the coach, but is there something more structurally wrong w/our program? I can't believe all of this is on his head, though I doubt he's helping.

dtownhawkfan 2 years, 10 months ago

I was at the game on Saturday and I must say, I don't know if I've seen a defense at the college level look as lost as we did on Saturday. We have got to make waves in recruiting on the defensive side of the ball and get a good d-coordinator. Our offense is respectable for the most part, but just flat terrible on defense. I'll give Turner one more year, but another year like this next year and it will be hard to justify him staying. Assuming we won't win again this year (which I don't know who we would beat), after 2 years he will be making $800k per win in his two years.....I missed where you signed up for a job like that at the career fair.