Kansas defeats Richmond, 77-57

• 6:27 p.m., March 25, 2011
  • Alamodome, San Antonio, TX

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Last one standing: Top-seeded KU scraps past Spiders

Kansas forward Marcus Morris hangs on the rim after a dunk against the Richmond defense during the first half on Friday, March 25, 2011 at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

Videos

KU vs. Richmond

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Richmond, 77-57, to advance the the Elite Eight on Friday, March 25, 2011 at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 77-57 victory over Richmond on March 25, 2011.

Download podcast

— An animated Markieff Morris took control of Kansas University’s five-player huddle before the opening tip of Friday’s emotional NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 game between KU and Richmond.

“I saw Kieff screaming and yelling. He was fired up. It got us hyped, man,” KU junior Tyshawn Taylor said after the Jayhawks’ 77-57 runaway victory over the Spiders at the Alamodome.

Morris, who scored five points and grabbed six rebounds in 17 foul-plagued minutes on a night Brady Morningstar exploded for 18 points, said he wasn’t trying to rid the team of any pregame jitters with his vocal display.

He was simply mad as heck and wanted to convey that sentiment to his teammates, who raced to an insurmountable 31-9 lead.

“Them not trying to shake our hands at halfcourt was the main thing that fueled us to start out. We felt a little disrespected,” Markieff said.

He was referring to introductions in which one player from each team was to be introduced, with the two opposing players meeting at halfcourt for fist bumps.

“They probably didn’t mean it, but we still noticed it. It definitely fueled the fire. That definitely got me riled up. They made us mad. I really think we’ll play mad from here on out,” Morris added.

The handshake situation came moments after cameras caught the Jayhawks and Spiders barking at each other in a crowded Alamodome tunnel leading out to the court.

The No. 12-seeded Spiders (29-8) were jumping up and down in the hallway and blocking the No. 1-seeded Jayhawks’ path.

KU’s players waited awhile, then finally made their way through the Spiders’ web. KU’s Thomas Robinson, Mario Little, one of the Morris twins and Royce Woolridge were caught on tape yapping with some equally vocal Spiders.

The incident was shown during the national telecast of the game.

“I guess that’s what they do before games. They were dancing. Coach was trying to get us to hustle out,” Markieff Morris said. “We were trying to get out. They were trying to not let us out. A few words were exchanged, and then we ran out.”

Self said the hallway run-in was much ado about nothing.

“There were two teams coming out at the same time,” he said.

“It’s what happened yesterday when somebody reported some crap which is totally ridiculous and sends a wrong message. That got way too much play, a lot more than it should have.”

He was referring to Marcus Morris saying, “You boys better be ready,” to a cart of Richmond players driving by on the way to the interview room Thursday at the Alamodome.

Marcus Morris, who scored 13 points off 4-of-10 shooting with seven rebounds and three assists, agreed with his coach that Friday’s hallway run-in was overblown.

“Everybody was laughing about it. The other team was laughing there. We had an exchange of words. It’s all fun and games,” Marcus said.

The Jayhawks definitely let their actions speak volumes Friday in advancing to Sunday’s 1:20 p.m. Elite Eight contest against Virginia Commonwealth.

“We jumped on them early,” Marcus Morris said. “We did a great job early. Tyshawn did a great job on Anderson (Kevin, point guard, 13 points on 5-of-17 shooting). We tried to control the game, speed them up and make them play our game.”

Noted Markieff: “We tried to take their guard out of the game. Tyshawn did a great job. He changed the pace of the game.”

KU senior Morningstar had seven points, while freshman Josh Selby hit two threes in a 21-2 run that gave KU its 31-9 lead. KU extended the run to 25-4 to take a 24-point lead (35-11) with 4:39 left in the half.

Richmond sliced the gap to a workable 15 points (37-22) with 1:27 left in the half following an 11-2 run.

The Jayhawks led, 41-22, at halftime behind a stout defensive effort that held Richmond to 29 percent shooting (9-for-31 overall and 3-for-14 from three). KU hit 50 percent of its first-half shots and made five of 10 threes.

“I feel like a couple of us were open. Me and Tyrel (Reed, six points, 2-for-4 three-point shooting) hit some open shots, and when they started to fall, they did a good job penetrating and kicking it. My team gave me the ball, and I was knocking it down,” added Morningstar, who made four of seven threes.

Morningstar was called for a technical for woofing at Richmond’s Kevin Smith after hitting a second-half three.

The two moments earlier had words on KU’s defensive end.

“I got ahead of myself. I’m not good enough to run my mouth after I make a shot,” Morningstar said. “That’s basically what it is. A mistake on my part. I apologize for that.”

Self wasn’t amused.

“They got into it on the other end. The officials talked to them. A 25-year-old should know officials will be looking at the next deal,” Self said. “That was not smart at all. I probably used a different term (in talking to Morningstar). But Brady played great.”

Up by 19 at the break, the Jayhawks were never seriously threatened the second half.

“The first half today ... that was a pretty good basketball team playing,” Self said. “I didn’t like the way we finished the game. It wasn’t a giddy or happy locker room. I think we should enjoy it. We came here to win two games. We’re only halfway home. We know the next game will be the hardest we’ve played so far in the NCAA Tournament.”

Markieff Morris thinks the Jayhawks will be raring to go.

“I think we are hungry,” Markieff said. “I think we are scared to lose. A lot of people talk about the seeds we are playing and how we play to the level of our competition in the tournament, it’s lose or go home. We don’t want to go home.”

Comments

SoCalAlum 8 years, 8 months ago

Gary pretty much referred to them as the "Barking Spiders."

100 8 years, 8 months ago

Now that the barking Spiders have finished their season....

Beat VCU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

okiedave 8 years, 8 months ago

Richmond stuffed VCU this year, but on Richmond's turf. Should be another win Sunday for the Hawks.

kerbyd 8 years, 8 months ago

"Not to be disrespectful to Coach Pitino or anything, but we're still playing."

Michael Luby 8 years, 8 months ago

+100! Seriously Pitino, you should know better!

Michael Luby 8 years, 8 months ago

Correct me if Im wrong fellas but over the past 5 seasons all of the champions have been #1 seeds. Florida, KU, UNC, Duke. There is only one #1 seed left this season...Just sayin.

Andy Hess 8 years, 8 months ago

Florida won two in a row, so he covered all 5 years.

edubl3 8 years, 8 months ago

Statute 21-3503: Indecent liberties with a child. (a) Indecent liberties with a child is engaging in any of the following acts with a child who is 14 or more years of age but less than 16 years of age: F*@$ that fella, I will spare the internet tuff guy routine. However, he is no Jayhawk and I wish he would make himself known so me and mine could pass him around like a kitten in a gorilla cage.

Sick

Michael Luby 8 years, 8 months ago

Hey everybody, I just ran into this story on twitter. I lost this guys handle on twitter but here is his post and his email is in there too. Please for the love of the KU Jayhawk Gods and the best fan base in the nation, give this guy some major hell for this one. He deserves it bigtime! Post this link anywhere and everywhere you can. I want him to know the wrath of the Jayhawk Nation!!! http://culturemap.com/newsdetail/03-25-11-kansas-turning-into-the-ncaa-tournaments-embarrassment-easy-draw-taints-national-championship-race/

John Randall 8 years, 8 months ago

Do you really need to be called down again?

Winning easily is nowhere near as great as winning tough. I can't blame the author of that article for being disappointed to watch walkaways instead of our team buckling down because they need to. I'd rather be anxious into the last minute and euphoric at our response than flipping channels to see if anyone else is being tested.

Michael Luby 8 years, 8 months ago

Me called down? For what? Your missing my point, which is the fact that the writer of that article is totally bashing KU, unjustifiably I might add. Sure they have had an easy draw this year. But, they havent played down to the competition or overlooked a team like UNI, which they did last year.

lincase 8 years, 8 months ago

You must be young. Personally I love the blowouts because I can relax and not worry about my blood pressure!

Bridgett Walthall 8 years, 8 months ago

+1 This is a very stressful time of year :)

JayhawkPiller82 8 years, 8 months ago

JayhawkNation burned this dude....! Mission completed; Houston we have no problem.....commense liftoff... Roger (Morningstar) that... Here comes the Brady bunch.....with TWINS+....!!!

Matt Lacey 8 years, 8 months ago

No, don't click on it or post it anywhere. This guy is just trying to get page views.

ajhk 8 years, 8 months ago

Ouch! a 25year old! Hey coach, lay off Brady huh?

Cmill1221 8 years, 8 months ago

I was just wondering where are all of thoes IDIOTS who were calling for Taylor to be kicked off the team are???? Good job Taylor! 10 assists, and taking care of the ball!

John Randall 8 years, 8 months ago

Ten dimes sounds even better than the seven on the stat sheets!

Steve Gantz 8 years, 8 months ago

I'm not sure if you're disputing the 10 assists, but that's what the box scores said he had.

theajayhawk 8 years, 8 months ago

+1. Actually all those who felt they knew better than HCBS as to who is best for the team? I will say it again, it may not feel right to us, but the man who knows more than all of us combined is the one who gets paid for this job and we should just trust that.

David Howell 8 years, 8 months ago

We all know HCBS knows best, but every one of us has an opinion and at times a quicker timetable for results. TT gave all of us reason to be concerned the first half of the season. But thru work and coaches handling he has really improved and or stepped up to be the player we all wanted and should be. God knows he is capable of a stupid turnover now and then, but those we can live with ..........

ParisHawk 8 years, 8 months ago

Having watched the second half live and the first half delayed (thanks to WichitaChiefs fan again!), I am amazed at the beating we inflicted with a subpar Marcus and a non-factor Markieff. We now have a real 9-player rotation with all three starting guards playing well and everybody on the bench able to contribute. As for the bigs, the Twins are normally our most consistent players and T-Rob is now Beasting again.

Our defense and focus continue to improve, despite some coasting in the second half. Frankly, if our biggest worry is letting a 24-point lead slip to 15, no one is going to feel sorry for us.

VCU is our last game until we beat them.

Marc Frey 8 years, 8 months ago

When our defense is steps up, and our offense passes the ball, and we hit our open shots, we can not be beat. It starts with our D. The players really have stepped up thier defense and that has helped fuel our 11 game win streak. Stay focused! Rock Chalk!

Marcia Parsons 8 years, 8 months ago

Disappointed in the headline. I was hoping for "Kansas Steps on Spiders".

RockCaCO3 8 years, 8 months ago

Think the headline refers to KU being the last 1 seed still in.

David Howell 8 years, 8 months ago

......... "Kansas cures its Arachnophobia" !

David Howell 8 years, 8 months ago

"Kansas cures its Arachnophobia" ............

RockCaCO3 8 years, 8 months ago

Uh, Hut Tub Time Machine WAS a good movie.

NH_JHawk 8 years, 8 months ago

Never thought VCU would still be in the tourney after starting as a play-in. Weird to be playing two Richmond, VA teams back to back this late in the dance. However, I love the symbolic civil war set up that features the free-state Jayhawkers from Kansas battling 2 opponents from the capital city and the heart of the Confederate States. Too bad we dont have a player named Sherman.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk. Just beat VCU!

David Robinett 8 years, 8 months ago

That was a good article. I knew most of the KU & bball history, but did not know Phog helped found the March post season tourney and the National Assoc of College BBall coaches.

superdave 8 years, 8 months ago

Love the quote by EJ, "We had to show them that they're Richmond and we're Kansas" Same thing tomorrow - "They're VCU, we're Kansas"

Ben Kane 8 years, 8 months ago

well i only glanced at the article posted twice above. my thoughts, can't argue that our path is the "easiest". but this isn't something that we can control so whatever. all we can do is come out and beat the other team on the court.

here's a much better read i posted last night in case any of you missed:

superdave 8 years, 8 months ago

and this gem from Marcus "Not to be disrespectful to coach Pitino or anything, but we're still playing"

Chris Shaw 8 years, 8 months ago

Some Brief Observations Going Forward:

Offensively: I don't know if any of you have noticed, but I have one minor concern on offense. When Kansas gets into their transition and one of the Twins (Especially Kieff) trails at the top of the key............the ball is like a "Hot Potato". Taylor, Reed, Morningstar, EJ, or Selby will swing the ball to the top of the key and before Kieff (Sometimes Marcus does this too) can even come to a jump stop, he literally is passing the ball over to the opposite guard on the perimeter with all his momentum moving forward.

What shocked me last night is how easily Richmond allowed KU to swing the ball from side to side beyond the 3 point line last night. If I'm a Coach or even a guard on the opposing team and I see that trailer (Kieff) I'm jumping the passing lane for an easy steal. I know it's not a big deal, but I can just envision an easy bucket going to the opposition to gain some confidence.

Defensively: Loved the defensive intensity last night. I just hope opponents keep missing shots against the Jayhawks. Richmond shot 4-26 from downtown which was great, but KU did give up 15 offensive rebounds. Lot's of long rebounds so the guards need to make sure they are boxing out at 20 feet. Other than that, let's get another defensive stand like this against VCU and KU is in the Final 4.

Most Valuable Jayhawk: Brady Morningstar was absolutely unbelievable! Take away that technical and that ill-advised air-ball "3" in transition and Morningstar played flawless. I don't know about the rest of you, but Morningstar looked to have a little "Gitty-Up" in his step last night. 18 points, 4 assists, 2 steals on 1 turnover. Great Game

Kieff: I like all the emotion out of Kieff, but I think he needs to control it a little more. I think getting too "Amped" for games can drain you and from his stat line this may have been the case. Also, I did feel his first two fouls were little touch fouls, but they were called nonetheless and he had to sit the rest of the half. Control those pre-game emotions Kieff.

Marcus: Not the best shooting performance (4-10 FG's), but 13 points and 7 rebounds is a nice stat line. Even if Marcus keeps playing like that offensively and the Jayhawks keep playing defense the way they are as a team, I'll take it. Keep it up Marcus. Watch out for those "Hot Potato" passes at the top of the key.

cont'd:

Steve Brown 8 years, 8 months ago

VCU magic carpet ride coming in for final landing.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 8 months ago

T-Rob: Beast mode was in full affect, especailly when Kieff picked up two fouls early on in the game. 12 points on 5-9 shooting and 14 boards in 16 minutes is just domination and pure efficiency on his part. T-Rob had a sequence where he hurried on a shot, hurried on a rebound, and then tried to make a move with a pass out of bounds that was just an ugly overall sequence. Self lit into him, but T-Rob needs to just "Slow Down". He did just that after the chewing by Self.

Reed: Doing what Reed does! Glad to see him shooting 50 percent from "3" again. He only hit 2, but they were big shots. Played great defensively.

Selby: Glad to see Selby having fun again. His shot was falling, but better than that, i was glad to see him attacking the rim, even though his shots weren't falling. You can tell he doesn't have much "Lift", but I think he's still trying to find his "Game Leg's". I also enjoyed that pull up jumper from 15 feet even though his shot just missed. I enjoyed the energy from Selby.

EJ and Little: If these two guys can keep giving this type of production in 27 combined minutes then that is exactly what you need from your bench. They shot 5-6 together for 10 points and that's big production from your bench. The best part is they both combined for 0 turnovers in that 27 minutes. Great work!

Conclusion: Just ready for this game tomorrow. I hope the guys bring this much intensity on defense tomorrow as well against VCU. Let's get it on Men! I'm so excited about this team at the moment. Don't let up! Go Jayhawks!

Chris Shaw 8 years, 8 months ago

I'm not sure how I forget about Tyshawn Taylor, but the fact that I did forget about him speak's volumes. He is playing fantastic despite only having 4 points. He dished out 7 assists, controlled tempo while having 3 turnvoers. I'm liking the confidence Taylor is showing at the PG spot. He's picking a great time to be unselfish and showing that his decision making skills are going to push this team over the top. Go get that VCU point guard!

Jack Wilson 8 years, 8 months ago

Good points above -- You are right on, there .. 4 point are fine. Penetrate, distribute. contol tempo, handle the ball, set up your teammates. That's a point guard. That's what TT did last night. As I've suggested a good portion of this season, a true point guard is what this team needed more than anything. We got it last night.

Totally unrelated, but if TT plays like this for a full season in 2011-12, that is his path to the NBA.

waywardJay 8 years, 8 months ago

You paraphrased yourself a bit.... But I won't criticize you too much for rose colored glasses, most of us have a bit of a blind side when looking at ourselves objectively.

Ty's dunk was pretty. Alot of people talk about ELijah's superhuman hops, but Tyshawn's not stuck to the ground. He floated through the air pretty effectively. Point guard is the hardest position in basketball to play. You have to have awareness and you have to have a deifned leadership about you. You also have to have a resolute drive to you that no one can challenge.

I have stated over and over to you, despite his mistakes. TYshawn's our Point guard. He's got the pedigree for this type of a run, and he's had the training. Regular seasons you are going to have good games and bad games. Post seasons, you cannot have bad games. We will go as far as he takes us. He's showing exactly the kinda of fire i expected to find from him.

Keep up the good work Tyshawn.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 8 months ago

Wayward, were you talking to me? If you were, I am confused by your first paragraph? It seems to be a rather open ended statement whomever you were talking to.

Steve Gantz 8 years, 8 months ago

Yahoo box score says Taylor had 10 assists. As for Selby 3-9 while maybe a little encouraging is not exactly finding his shot again. Of course it's 3-8 if he doesn't try that ridiculous through the legs nonsense.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, I am not sure what to believe. ESPN says 7 assists and yahoo says 10 assists. No matter, it still is a pretty good stat line of dishing the rock regardless if it's 7 or 10.

Steve Gantz 8 years, 8 months ago

Taylor has played his way back into a lot of Jayhawks good graces the last month or so. That being said, it seemed like he had about 4 in the first 4 minutes.

Beate Williams 8 years, 8 months ago

Obviously the guy who wrote that article does not understand you don't automatically get to the next round. Each team that makes it must play another team and it just so happens that Richmond beat the teams it had to play to reach Kansas. All of the number one seeds faced a 16th seed, what happens after that is up to the higher seeded team; KU has moved forward because of its intensity and focus...and we are to be blamed for that--give me a break. Kushaw--that is a play that Self has used ever since he has been coaching KU; the guard is to be good enough that he can anticipate if the trailing big man is open or not and that big is suppose to be good enough to either shoot the three--which is how most of the twins threes have come about--or drive if there is noone in the lane or move the ball quickly to the other side and move down to set a pick for the other big. If the ball is stolen in an attempted pass to the big, it means the guard was not concentrating. This has not been a problem and I don't think it will be a problem.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 8 months ago

I don't think you saw what was happening on multiple possessions last night. It had nothing to do with the guard giving the pass to the "big" trailing down the court or the Twins pulling from the top of the key. When they actually shoot the ball they actually slow down and gather themselves, but that isn't what I am concernced about. It was the big moving forward never coming to a stop passing the ball to the opposite wing. IMO, I don't understand why the defense wasn't anticipating that pass and jumping into the lane on that pass.

KU has had trouble when teams (K-State, Texas, Zona, UCLA) deny that swing pass from side to side whether it's in transition or deep into the shotclock within the offensive scheme.

Steve Gantz 8 years, 8 months ago

If the seedings are accurate, the road keeps getting easier and easier for KU. Possibly the highest seed they'll have to play to get to the championship is an 8. There, the team I was most worried about, Ohio St. is gone. Of course Kentucky beat that team so they're no pushover. UNC's defense is too weak, I think we'd outscore them. Arizona seems to be on a roll, UConn is riding a hot hand, never thought they were that good. Billy Donovan's big game coaching experience is a worry but are they that talented?, and Butler's magic carpet ride can't be discredited, but still, it's Butler. In other words, the Jayhawks are suddenly the clear favorites to win this whole thing.
And I think like Richmond, KU exposes VCU to be the #11 seed, last one in team that we thought they were.
Now if we could keep avoiding these situations that the media is ready to jump all over. We're on the front page of Yahoo this morning, and not for winning the game.

100 8 years, 8 months ago

Just beat VCU brother Jayhawk!!!!!

Martin Rosenblum 8 years, 8 months ago

Join me on my soapbox.

"Perception is greater than reality" is a phrase that I believe in. The perception that it is acceptable behavior for college basketball teams to take trash talking to the level of physical confrontation is disturbing. The reality is that the NCAA has such a full book of rules and regulations that address the most miniscule issues and scenarios like what we're seeing that can't be policed at that level. We aren't under control of some wrestling organization or fight club rules. Street rules and playground bravado have no place in college sports, I've been criticized for suggesting that just because a player would be predisposed to "in you face" response to such minor issues like not "fist bumping" outside of the college environment, it must be avoided and disallowed at all cost under the auspices of the NCAA. They've set out to better scrutinize elbow throwing fouls in a game, for example, but nothing is addressed that takes place when the clock isn't running. It shouldn't be left to the coaches and individual schools to be the police here. That would then create a social strata of acceptable behavior and could become part of the problem, rather than a solution. Usually, I am not a big supporter of NCAA ticky-tack rules. However, they are the best option in the curbing of the perception that taunting etc. is not a problem and that if ignored will ultimately lead to even more un-sportsmanlike tendencies while the clock is not running.

Emotions do run high is sports. Teams do talk about their opponenets. But, the reality is that if we condone behavior by calling "boys will be boys", situations where ,if intervention is not immediately available, escalation to brawling is the next level of response. The perception ia that control and temperment is being allowed to give way to "I grew up in a rough neighborhood and this is the way you have to be to survive". Let's not let this perception grow into reality.

redlegger 8 years, 8 months ago

Sorry, can't join you!

Love this Team!

FOE

FreddyinLA 8 years, 8 months ago

With the falling of the Mighty Dukies and THE Ohio State University, this tourney has turned into ours for the taking.

I’m glad Sir Charles Barkley has KU winning his bracket because he has been spot on picking games (UK over OSU and UafA over Dukies).

The VCU vs. Florida St. game was very hard to watch last night. Can’t believe either made it to the Sweet 16. That, said, there are no easy games in the only tourney that matters.

Last night was the perfect game. Twins have an off night by their standards and the team wins big. Great confidence boost for everyone.

HCBS is doing a great job of pushing the pace and getting the bench involved. T-Rob has his usual early jitters and then once again dominated the boards. Like clock work.

Selbyville 8 years, 8 months ago

Come Monday morning, people in Richmond are really going to hate us

bad_dog 8 years, 8 months ago

Yes, and I'm going there for a week long business trip later this year. Hopefully I'll have a new 2011 Final 4/National Champs hat to wear...

There is a neat area there I believe they call "The Fan". It's kind of like a bigger Mass Street/downtown filled with eclectic shops, sports bars and restaurants. The "sightseeing" is pretty good, too.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 8 months ago

Seriously, who do you pick between the UK/UNC game tomorrow?

I'll be honest, I have a disdain for UNC hoops that I take great pride in rooting against them in every game they play.

However, I have issues and problems with Calipari's vision of the college game. I don't necessarily have a problem with "UK" as much as I have issues with the "Idea" that Calipari could actually get this group (Freshman and only 7 deep with 1 big) to a Final 4.

I don't know, but this is an extremely tough call. I think because Kentucky hasn't been to a Final 4 since 1998 and no matter how obnoxious their fan base is, I think I'm leaning towards UK in this match-up. Plus, it's a revenge game for UK so that makes it a little more appealing.

What do you all think?

FLJHK 8 years, 8 months ago

I dislike UNC but I loathe UK. I wish they could both lose. The '08 win over UNC still makes me smile, as does beating Calipari in the title game.

In a prospective national title game I think UK would be the more intriguing match-up. It would be a nice contrast in philosophies: the OAD UK approach and all of its attendant less than stellar ethical externalities, vs the integrity of Coach Self and the Jayhawk system.

I think that would be the sweetest of victories.

Hank Cross 8 years, 8 months ago

UK - I can't stand that crybaby sanctimonious Roy. At least if you were out on the town with Calipari, you know you'd have a good time, legal or not.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 8 months ago

As for the article above talking negatively about KU and it's "Seemingly Easy Path to the Final 4?"

You know what, who cares? Nobody was complaining last year when KU got knocked out early last year and Michigan State had an easier path to get to another Final 4. Nobody was complaining in 1992 when top seeded Kansas and #2 seed USC lost and a #4 seed Cincy got to a Final 4. Nobody was complaining in 1998 when KU got ousted by Rhode Island and Stanford got to a Final 4.

I don't care how KU gets to a Final 4, you have to play the games in front of you and get the "W" in order to move on. It happens every year in the tournament. Do we really want to break down Michigan States paths to get to the Final 4 over the last 13 years? All that matters is that Michigan State has made 6 Final 4's over that span. That's all that matters.

Redlandsjhawk 8 years, 8 months ago

You are absolutely correct. Anyone who has a problem with a bracket "opening up" as they say, (Digger) just has no understanding or appreciation of what the tournament is all about. I've said for years the thing I hate about the tournament is the one loss and your out set up. It doesn't insure that the best team wins it all. The thing I love most about the tournament.... same thing.

Ian Brown 8 years, 8 months ago

Come on guys, Brady is my boy. Brady is OUR boy. I'm not going to say "I told you so," although I could. I will say right now, I'm bias. Dunkin at Quail Run and his parents house off Oak Tree Drive. Yeah, we did that. I saw it when I was 7. I saw it when we were 14 and chasing honeys at Southwest JH.. I REALIZED his potential in high school. Talent that could change a ball game. Talent enough to change a ball game. I remember when Brady put up 33 against the team/player who would later be named Mr. Basketball in Kansas. They were wrong. Brady was Mr. Basketball, and Tyrel Reed after him. Brady is an amazing competitor. When we were just sophomores, Brady nailed a buzzer beater AT LHS, to win the game. One of the biggest shots I've ever seen. So what I say is this: Let the kid do his thing. Let Self do his thing. Brady is a baller. Come on B-rady. Let's do this. Bring us another ring. This is your time. Keep it up, boy. - your boy Ian Brizzown.

KULA 8 years, 8 months ago

More importantly than being your boy, Brady is Bill's boy. Did you see that proud papa look on Bill's face in the post game interview? Almost like he couldn't believe Brady was actually getting a post game interview on national TV. And what other player doesn't even get a second of pine time after a technical for lipping off? Certainly not EJ, who sat for the rest of the game for his.

Brady's certainly playing well, but I still can't help but think he'll be a defensive liability against a more talented team. Still can't figure out why Releford can't get off the bench with a 20 pt lead most of the game.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 8 months ago

Good Grief! When is this nonsense going to stop? Well, I guess we'll only have to listen to this for hopefully 3 more games. If KU wins than everything is great, but if KU loses, most likely the blame will fall on Self and his reasoning behind playing Morningstar so much. Defensive liability against a more talented team? Really? I thought we over this debate!

Kye Clark 8 years, 8 months ago

There's an article up on espn.com about Misery starting its coaching search. I got a good laugh when reading that "Athletic director Mike Alden believes Missouri is a destination hire, and wants the new coach to feel that way, too". They sure are full of themselves there! I can definitely envision a scenario like Oregon had last year, if not worse. Granted I don't think Misery will try for the extremely big names like Oregon did (Tom Izzo? Really Oregon?), but Oregon had all of Phil Knight's money backing any hire, and they had a new arena they were moving into. Factor into this that to be successful a coach needs to elevate his team to a level that they can compete with their rival, and then consider how difficult that would be for Misery to ever get to that level and thus making it an extremely difficult situation for an incoming coach to have success, and it's just not a very attractive job. Anyway, it's just nice to see us marching through the madness of the NCAA tournament while they're sitting at home mired in their delusional coaching search.

Here's the link:

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 8 months ago

Listened to ESPN Radio earlier this morning and they were touting the Painter-to-Mizzou scenario. Personally, I think Painter-to-Mizzou is a pipe dream (for Mizzou). Why would he leave a better gig???

Hank Cross 8 years, 8 months ago

If heaven forbid VCU wins tomorrow, you know Mizery would pay an ungodly amount to have the coach that stopped KU's title run to lead the tiggers at AFH every year. The thought of that makes me ill.

justinryman 8 years, 8 months ago

Well if the brackets continue "to open up" for Kansas this year, then Butler will beat Florida, Arizona will beat UConn and KY will beat NC and the highest seed Kansas will have to play is #5 Arizona.

Yeah not our fault that nobody else can take care of their own business.

Norte Dame-Choke Louisville-Overlooked Morehead St. Great coaching Ricky! Purdue-whoops, choked Pitt, over rated!! Duke, too man minutes for Kyrie Ohio St. tried to win with Big10 style, that doesn't work.

Oh well, win and play another day.

It's good to be a Jayhawk!

DevilHawk 8 years, 8 months ago

Look back at the stat sheet from the UofA - Duke game.

UofA was on fire - especially Derrick Williams. Meanwhile, Duke was solid except for -9 on the boards, and Nolan Smith was awful.

His average line this season: 20.6 pts; 4.5 reb; 5.1 ast; 3.2 TO; 1.2 stl; 45.8% overall; 81.3% FT; 35.0% trifecta.

Against UofA: 8 pts; 5 reb; 2 ast; 6 TO; 0 stl; 3-14 (21.4%) overall; 50% (2-4) FT; and 0% (0-3) trifecta.

justinryman 8 years, 8 months ago

AZ shot the lights out cause Duke didn't guard the 3. Nolan Smith was off his game cause Coach K went with more Kyrie Irving. Duke was out of sync with him in the game, and it showed on the way they ran their offense in the second half. Plus Singer was getting called for fouls the ACC refs let him get away with.

Saying Duke lost because AZ shot the lights out is a dis-service to AZ and how they ran their offense. AZ also out hustled Duke to almost every lose ball.

Alohahawk 8 years, 8 months ago

"Last One Standing", perhaps should read, "Last One Seed Standing." If that doesn't prove that parity has arrived to college basketball, nothing will. In this era of OAD's and all the AAU and internet coverage of recruiting and pre-college competition, every team on any given day has a chance to win the NCAA Championship.

Just about every team can boast "star" players and sharpshooters who can hit shots from anywhere on the court. Time to prove that staying with the fundamentals, and having the desire and coaching are all instrumental in achieving the ultimate goal.

One game at a time, Hawks. VCU has had a great run, but their luck runs out on Sunday. Play your game, and the Final Four is assured.

Oh, and one more win and Tyrel ties for most career wins with Battier, from Duke.

Kye Clark 8 years, 8 months ago

While not necessarily disagreeing that there is some of parity, consider that the Final Four could have a #1 seed, 2 #2 seeds, and a #3 seed. That doesn't exactly illustrate the demise of the power teams from power conferences.

DevilHawk 8 years, 8 months ago

Thoughts on the other three Elite Eight games:

Florida or Butler: Doesn't much matter, but Butler has the significant "underdog" tag. Two very good coaches on the sidelines of that game.

UConn or UofA: I'd like to see the Big East not get any teams to the Final Four. However, I despise UofA.

UK or UNC: Easy pick - UNC.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 8 months ago

No excuses tomorrow...last night was perfect for Kansas:

1] Kansas won going away with plenty of rest for the rotation. 2]By Morrii standards, they had a crappy night...will vow to be better. 3]VCU and FSU beat the crap out of each other for 45 minutes.

A Haiku:

one last door left closed

do not reach to turn the knob

kick the damn door down.

RCJHKUFOE

Redlandsjhawk 8 years, 8 months ago

Hey Spider if you're still on our board, it was great hearing from you and good luck next year. One more thing; tell your coach if any one from Missouri calls him he should hang up immediately and change his number. Trust me.

Janet Olin 8 years, 8 months ago

Re: the tunnel non-incident. Self tells his players to hustle onto the court. Tunnel and exit deliberately blocked by UR for their pre-game huddle/rally as shown on video, with KU walking through. How's that KU misconduct?? UR couldn't have its party outside the tunnel exit? KU should--what--stand and watch?!? No wonder Self's anger over media fuss was palpable. But then, Forde is a Fizzou grad. 'nuff said.

Janet Olin 8 years, 8 months ago

As distasteful as it is, I am on record as for the Heels against UK for two reasons: Roy's son Scott was my favorite junior high student for three straight years in Lawrence(and his parents are very classy). Second, Roy has always run a clean program, unlike UK, whose basketball program is legendary for its corruption/scandals (for about a century now) and its current coach is has his own special Sleaze zip code. I got over the Roy thing in '08 after KU whooped UNC and Roy had the nerve to wear Jayhawk button in the stands at the national championship game, a classy move.

Alohahawk 8 years, 8 months ago

+1 Can't stand poacher Cal. Ashamed that he had early ties with KU. Glad he left before he had a chance to taint the Hawks.

Plus, if Kenstinky loses, it's one they can't add to their all time win column. With the two palying each other, at least one of the two. UNC and Kenstinky, will have to lose.