Saturday, March 26, 2011

For Josh Selby, spit happens

Kansas guards Josh Selby (32) right and Tyrel Reed celebrate a three-pointer during the first half against Richmond on Friday, March 25, 2011 at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

Videos

KU vs. Richmond

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Richmond, 77-57, to advance the the Elite Eight on Friday, March 25, 2011 at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 77-57 victory over Richmond on March 25, 2011.

Download podcast

— Kansas University freshman Josh Selby didn’t think he ever could get as riled up as teammate Markieff Morris was during the team’s huddle right before KU’s game against Richmond on Friday.

“Kieff was so pumped up, some drool was coming out of his face,” Selby said with a laugh. “So I’m like, ‘Kieff, man, you’ve got to watch that. That almost got on me.’”

The joke ended up being on Selby a little bit later in the Jayhawks’ 77-57 victory over the Spiders.

After Selby knocked down consecutive three-pointers to put KU ahead 25-9, Richmond called timeout, and Markieff couldn’t help but notice something funny after Selby stopped celebrating.

“He had a little spit on his face,” Markieff said with a smile. “So I told him, ‘Hey man, come here, you’ve got spit on your face. Use my shirt. Wipe your spit off your face.’”

Markieff, who had two fouls and knew he would be sitting on the bench for the remainder of the half, offered his jersey to Selby so he could clean up.

Here’s Selby’s take: “I was so hyped up, he said drool was on my face. So, I don’t know, we were just both into the game. It was just a heat-of-the-moment thing.”

Selby had plenty of reason to be excited Friday.

The Baltimore native broke out of a 4-for-24 three-point shooting slump, making three of five threes against Richmond.

“Josh was really good. He guarded well, too,” KU coach Bill Self said. “He’s really labored with his shot. It looks the same to me, it just hasn’t been going in. I thought that was big for us tonight for him to get a couple down early.”

When Selby first checked into Friday’s game, Markieff Morris told him to play confidently and told him that the team needed him.

Selby said the words helped him, as he hit his first two shots.

The 6-foot-2 freshman finished with nine points on 3-for-9 shooting — his highest point total since a 14-point effort against Texas Tech on Feb. 1, a span of 11 games.

“He was in a slump for a while, but we still need him,” Markieff Morris said. “He’s still a big part of this team, and he’s still a great guard to have.

“One game where we don’t have anything going, he’s going to be that guard we can go to. He’s going to put a spark into us.”

Comments

jaydeamin 9 years, 8 months ago

Hell yeah, Selby hang in there, fire at will and they will fall!!

jaybate 9 years, 8 months ago

"He’s still a big part of this team, and he’s still a great guard to have. One game where we don’t have anything going, he’s going to be that guard we can go to. He’s going to put a spark into us.” --Marcus on Josh

Definitive, Marcus, definitive.

Michael Luby 9 years, 8 months ago

Hey everybody, I just ran into this story on twitter. I lost this guys handle on twitter but here is his post and his email is in there too. Please for the love of the KU Jayhawk Gods and the best fan base in the nation, give this guy some major hell for this one. He deserves it bigtime! Post this link anywhere and everywhere you can. I want him to know the wrath of the Jayhawk Nation!!! http://culturemap.com/newsdetail/03-25-11-kansas-turning-into-the-ncaa-tournaments-embarrassment-easy-draw-taints-national-championship-race/

John Randall 9 years, 8 months ago

As I replied on the ratings thread:

Why jump this guy's case –– he describes exactly what's going on this year, then comes right out and says it's a shame not to have KU proving, at least a few times, superiority over teams who could compete on more equal terms.

I feel the same way myself. This team is good enough to forge through as tough a tourney string of games as could be had, yet we aren't getting the chance to see it. They aren't to blame, but still will have to listen to detractors saying all they've accomplished is to trip up a few of the little kids on the way to the park . . . not the truth, but sure can look that way from outside the Jayhawk circle.

The blame for this near-fiasco properly belongs on L'ville, Purdue, Notre Dame, Pitt, Duke and OhSU . . . but they are gone and have left KU to bear the slings and arrows of all the jealous fans and disappointed press.

Lulufulu seems to be enjoying the sight of girls being chased barefoot through sandburrs on the playground. I'd rather see my heroes dig as deep as I know they can to overcome some real opposition, and I'm not silly enough to think we've seen much, or that there is none around.

lee3022 9 years, 8 months ago

I am not giving a pass to an experienced journalist that uses the word embarrassment for a winning team. It is disrespectful of those other teams and misses the point of college athletics. He implies KU has never seen a power team. Don't tell Arizona, UCLA, Michigan, Memphis, Texas, Kansas State or the rest of the Big XII. The last one standing is the only one who counts regardless of who they beat to arrive there.

FairgroveJayhawk 9 years, 8 months ago

He's a Texas fan still pissed about the 5 second call.

redlegger 9 years, 8 months ago

His bio says he went to Michigan State - before they were good in basketball.

FOE

JayhawkPiller82 9 years, 8 months ago

JayhawkNation burned this dude....! Mission completed; Houston we have no problem.....commense liftoff... Roger (Morningstar) that... Here comes the Brady bunch.....with TWINS+....!!!

UncleMiltyN 9 years, 8 months ago

Eh, don't worry about it. It's the same old stuff every year. The same guy was probably whining about how the seeds were all screwed up selection Sunday. Guys like this complain about how teams are seeded too low and then complain that a team like the Hawks have to play 'em. Can you have it both ways?

UncleMiltyN 9 years, 8 months ago

"You can't stop at every dog that barks or you'll never get the mail delivered."....Forrest C. Allen

Mandie Eutsler 9 years, 8 months ago

can't blame the Hawks that the other "powerhouse" teams couldn't take care of business. We came out and shut down everyone we've played so far. OSU should not have had a tough time with Kentucky, but they did because they are too slow. I would love to have had a chance to play them, and Sullinger, who is a beast by the way, wouldn't have been able to keep up with any of our big men for the whole game. We would tear OSU apart...

kcglowboy 9 years, 8 months ago

The headline was a little misleading. He really wasn't trashing Kansas, he was mostly trashing our lack of competition. I couldn't find anything he said that I disagreed with. While it's true that we have no control over who we play, and so far we've been handily beating the teams that the tourney throws at us, I have to admit these wins are slightly less fun and less satisfying because they're over much lesser competition. If you polled our team (and they gave honest answers out of the microscope of the media), I bet they would all prefer to play big-name, talented teams. I bet they would get much greater satisfaction out of beating an Ohio St. and a Duke than they would/will beating Butler, Richmond, or even lower seeded "names" like Arizona or Kentucky.

jaybate 9 years, 8 months ago

"I Don't Like Spiders and Snakes Cause That Ain't What It Takes To Love Me Like I Wanna Be Loved by You..." --Jim Stafford

~I never realized stepping on Spiders could feel so good.

~Richmond made a classic mistake. It tried to out tough a tougher team.

~Richmond's butt went straight in a sling when Geriot got fouled up. They had no credible back-up. In constrast, when Kieff got two early, TRob came in and manned-up.

~TRob perhaps won most insane stat for a game this season. He got 14 glassvacs in 16 minutes. What? Was he just sand bagging the other two minutes?

~Mario Little played terrific basketball in his 16 minutes.

~Josh showed signs of shooting life, then fell back over the event horizon and down into the black hole of shooting with 3 of 9. But he played some good floor game and guarded and grabbed 3 boards. All in all, he's on the comeback trail.

~The perimeter players really went to the boards, as they needed to with the bigs chasing Richmond bigs seemingly out to the concessions stands.

~Tyshawn had a flashy game, but more importantly, I thought this was Tyshawn's and EJ's best committee job at the point yet. EJ is over the hump and playing sound PG every game now.

~This point committee has and will pay big dividends in the second games of these "three 2-game tournaments."

~Reed is just getting to be one tough hombre on the court. He's a poster boy for "tough as nails."

~Brady had the weirdest shooting performance of an outside shooter I've ever seen. He alternated between swishes and air balls. Don't understand it at all. Makes me worry his mechanics could be on the verge of faltering, even though his percentage looked good.

PortlandMathHawk 9 years, 8 months ago

Probably Brady is channeling me (one of the many ways I am able to impact the game from here in the Pacific Northwest). Every Sunday I can be found firing away from three (with a bunch of other old guys - even older than Brady). On the days I really catch fire, a good chunk of my rare misses are air balls. I never seem to throw up air balls on my bad days.

It doesn't say anything about where Brady's mechanics might be heading. For good shooters, their level of success is tied to where their heads are. If Brady's head has him shooting over 50%, his body won't be able to stop him.

jaybate 9 years, 8 months ago

~I thought Marcus had a pretty good game, considering how much he had to work without Kieff. Marcus is really giving good effort and applying force when and where it is needed in the paint, without being heavy handed.

~ESPN's Pat Ford has tried to paint KU as bad guys. Go auto arouse yourself, Pat. KU is easily the cleanest team in this whole XTReme tournament. It never dishes it out until the other team says that's the way it intends to play. And against Illini, it took the high road entirely. Against Richmond, I thought KU played pretty clean, too, especially in the second half, when Mooney appeared to tell them to go out and try to provoke KU. I actually thought an XTRem Cheap Shot Lite might have been warranted by KU, but Self is clearly only going to use Cheap Shot Lite, if Self really thinks he needs the refs to call the game tigher. If the score is decisively in KU's favor, he's going to let it go.

~Mooney's new Princeton is no different. What a disappointment. The Princeton is increasingly deserving of the ash heap. It really only poses problems when you haven't seen it for a season. Fortunately, Self schedules a few Princeton games each season.

~I was way wrong about viewing Richmond as a serious threat. I really thought Iowa State was about as good as Richmond.

~Richmond's biggest short coming was defense. They just didn't apply much pressure at all.

~I'm too tired to think about VCU tonight.

~Regarding "Amping Theory," I expected Self to send them out, not flat, but with just a wee bit of edge in anticipation of Richmond's three point shooting emphasis. And I think he tried to do just that...to leave his team's best effort for Sunday. But there seemed to be some bad blood between Richmond's Philly kid and the Morris Twins. Marcus seemed to have been baiting them yesterday. And today things flared up in the tunnel before the game even started. My hunch is: Self was hoping to send them out just a little amped, but instead was confronted by an angry pack of wild dogs by the time they reached the pre-game huddle. Self appeared to try to calm them down and compose them a bit, at the start. But the team just took off on him like a wild fire. Frankly, the team expended waaaaay more emotion today than I would have liked. They are more likely to need their emotion for the Sunday game. This auto-amping by the team could come back to haunt us on Sunday.

~All in all a textbook case of how to demolish the Princeton. KU seemed to have the first three options of the Princeton doped out every possession. About the only luck Richmond had came on plays 4 through 6, and rarely even then.

~Rock Chalk!

JayhawkPiller82 9 years, 8 months ago

As always, enjoy the read Jaybate.....GOOD MORNING JAYHAWK NATION!!!! RCJH.

yates33333 9 years, 8 months ago

jaybate. What time did you go to bed. This post says 5:51 a.m. That's not night in Lawrence.

What a relief to have Selby hitting.

Hurry up with that VCU analysis.

Herb

Woody Cragg 9 years, 8 months ago

Hell I was in bed before the second games were over.

David Leathers 9 years, 8 months ago

Enough already, I've had it. LJW- If you don't give this guy a permanent job (hopefully Keegan's spot), I'm going to Boycott your website.

FoCoCoHawk 9 years, 8 months ago

LJW: Jaybate puts the -gism in neologism!

Jack Wilson 9 years, 8 months ago

It is pretty clear that the refereeing is not near as tight as the regular season; more physical play will take the day. This season, it seems that this "loose" refereeing is more consistent in the tournament than last season when there were games that got tight.

Don't worry about VCU .. we roll. Maybe a slower start, but a 10-15 point win.

I kind of had Richmond pegged as on par with Colorado or Okla. St. ... maybe on a better day. Could beat us .. but I could be the King of England, too.

On the expenditure of emotion .. I wouldn't worry about that either. The emotion they expended due to the hallway shoving match was of the "pissed off" variety. Really nothing these guys aren't used to. Perhaps a bit different than stewing on a game, working up into a frenzy, variety.

86finalfour 9 years, 8 months ago

Keep in mind that VCU played in the late game-- one that went into OT -- and sunday's game is early. VCU also have played an extra game in the 'first floor." I think the Rams could come out with some tired legs and KU's depth will be a huge asset.

REHawk 9 years, 8 months ago

That pregame hallway incident seemed to have worked wonders for firing up the Brady Bunch. TRob showed up with steam shooting out his ears! The maddog spittle got contagious.

ereinke55 9 years, 8 months ago

Anyone watching ESPN? The only number one seed left, and KU doesn't come up for discussion until 15 minutes into the program. On ESPNews, they were the fourth team to get talked about. Boo to ESPN. All of us know that the Jayhawks are the best, why didn't the "experts" see it?

justinryman 9 years, 8 months ago

Amazing how little run KU gets, and they have a lot of East coast kids. Phily, Jersey, Balt., DC, NY and yet you would think the whole team came from Burlington KS the way espn handles them.

Oh well, let them keep us low profile and let us sneak up on everyone!!!

FarSideHawk 9 years, 8 months ago

Hate the fact that either UK or UNC will add to their win and final fours total tomorrow. But I would love to see either Calipari or Williams for the championship now.

Steve Gantz 9 years, 8 months ago

I think Selby may have sealed his fate for going pro last night. A 3-9 shooting performance against a 12 seed who played like a 12 seed. But what really sealed his fate was the I've never seen anyone attempt a shot like this in a college game layup attempt at the end. I wish Self had called time out right there and yanked him (maybe he did, I can't remember).

Jack Wilson 9 years, 8 months ago

Imagine how good Selby will be if he stays, and then, when he ultimately "gets it."

Steve Kubler 9 years, 8 months ago

Thought Self was going to have a stroke after that play. I'm guessing the lecture Selby got afterwords was epic. It is sad to see so much talent and so little self control. I keep telling myself he's still a freshman and bad judgment calls will go away. It is getting harder to believe as the games roll by.

SDSurferFan 9 years, 8 months ago

Random thoughts:

• Loved Selfs comments to Craig Colorful Suit Guy at half.
  • Kerr had comments similar to wissosxfan. I don't get too concerned with stuff like that....game obviously was done, but that attempt was silly. Kid just hasn't done much around the rim. He will next year.
  • No problem Ku blowing out lower seeds, don't have to apologize the other higher seeds couldn't beat these teams.
  • Releford. Surprised he's not seeing some more minutes.
  • 2nd team. Ku's second team would have been an 8 seed and made the s16.

BabyJay2009 9 years, 8 months ago

Anyone know the status of Ben Mc, esp. w/ MU's Anderson gone? When's Ben going to commit, anyone heard?

Jack Wilson 9 years, 8 months ago

Conspiracy theory says Anderson whispered in McLemore's ear not to sign or commit, and that McLemore ultimately goes to Arkansas. Such a theory might be supported by the fact that MU had zero commits at the time of Anderson's resignation.

jaybate 9 years, 8 months ago

HEM does "Deep Events" in basketball. I love it.

DeepBasketballEvents.com

This could be the next great web site about college basketball.

Now, if we can just tie the meta-drug cartels and Menna in to Anderson's switch to UArk, plus maybe a Hillary/Rose Law Firm link, we are gold.

Seriously, I've always doubted Anderson was such a swell.

This looks like a guy who decided to knife MU and skate with the talent, before MU could knife him for trending down and losing to KU too often.

Funhawk 9 years, 8 months ago

That smile on Josh’s face after a bucket is contagious.

justinryman 9 years, 8 months ago

Rammed Home, Kansas sends VCU packing. Ram tough? Not against the Jayhawks scoring explosion. Shaka the world? No, VCU struggles in loss against Kansas. Three Amigos too much for Rams, as the Twins and Robinson carry Kansas. No footing on steep hill for Rams, as Jayhawks keep flying high.

Just a few headlines for Mondays edition.

Matt Lacey 9 years, 8 months ago

Riddle me this: at what wholly inopportune time does the anti-KU, natl commies against athletes ref crews pick up on our "wind it up" hand motions and call a tech?

Am I wrong to be worried about this?

jaybate 9 years, 8 months ago

MEMO FROM THE OFFICE OF THE DIRECTOR, jBIA (jAYBATE BASKETBALL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY

TO: All Board Rat Case Officers and Field Assets

FROM: jaybate, case analyst, ,jBIA

CLEARANCE LEVEL: For Official Beaks Only

SUBJECT: Pre-Game VCU Basketball Intelligence Estimate

: Opponent Name: Virginia Commonwealth University aka VCU

Location: Richmond, VA

Mascot: Rams

Conference: CAA (Colonial Athletic Association)

Home Arena Size: 7,500

Colors: Black and Gold

Highest Tourney Finish Before This Season: Round of 32

Noteworthy Prior Coaches: Dana Kirk, Sonny Smith, Jeff Capel, Anthony Grant

Current Coach: Shaka Smart--born and raised Madison, WI, Smart graduated and balled at respected private liberal arts school--Kenyon College. Coached high school ball in Pennsylvania briefly, then washed jocks for Dayton Flyers, then assisted at Akron, Clemson and Florida. At Akron, he learned the game from Keith Dambrot, a Charlie Coles protege. Recall KU played against Coles Miami of Ohio club early this season. Next, he assisted Oliver Purnell at Clemson. The Purnell connection came through Akron's Dambrot having assisted Purnell at Dayton. Purnell learned his game early from assisting Maryland's Lefty Driesell. When Purnell got sacked at Clemson, Smart moved to assist Billy Donovan at Florida. Donovan has Pitino roots. When Donovan's top assistant, Anthony Grant took the VCU job, after Jeff Capel jumped to OU, Grant had a good run before jumping to Alabama. VCU filled the vacuum with another Donovan assistant, Shaka Smart.

jaybate 9 years, 8 months ago

Style of Play:

Nutshell: Experienced team that wins by getting physical with a long bench and winning the disruption stat, or they don't win. Claim to like up tempo, but really only like to fly off steals and TOs. Will grind in half court offense, but gamble and pressure and muscle in half court defense.

Significant MUA problem: Smart has 4 235-240 pound power forward types available plus a freshman footer who doesn't see much time. They aren't highly skilled, but they are big, strong, and foul a lot. This means Self is going to have to use Little a lot at the 4, because of how rough it is going to get very quickly.

Key VCU Players:

Rodriguez--short, light 5'10" pg (sr)--our PG committed will lock him down. Burgess-- 6'6" 225 pound 3 (jr)--looks like a job for Travis, if Little is busy at the 4. Skeen--6'9" 240 big (sr) a solid challenge for Kieff, but someone we can double, whenever necessary

Key Stats:

VCU PPG: 71 Opp. PPG: 68 Team Trey %: 36% Team FG%: 44% Team FT%: 72% Trey Shooters: Burgess (42%) and Skeen (39%) Avg Steals: 8 Avg. TOs: 11

VCU Defense--Smart says they play "havoc" defense aimed at maximizing steals, triggering TOs, and disrupting opposing offenses out of their comfort zones. Translation: XTReme Muscle on defense. Not sure if they are into XTReme Cheap Shotting/Tripping. They pressure and gamble in the half court and they press full court frequently. Under the sizzle, we are talking about Pitino/Donovan ball. Catch them on a night when their treys are falling, and MUAs enable high pressure with low TOs, and they can separate and blow teams out. Catch them on a night when the MUAs go against them, and all the gambling and pressing gets them side ways in a hurry.

jaybate 9 years, 8 months ago

KU counter--VCU says it wants up tempo, but 71 ppg is hardly up tempo. What Smart means is he wants to muscle you into TOs and convert them in transition. So: has to give up tempo to KU in return for applying a lot of forward pressure full court. How do you spell Fizzou, with more muscle and less trips. Fizzouri has familiarized KU with the same pressure as VCU will apply, but VCU only runs when it gets a Steal or TO. As usual, per 100, slice the seams...always slice the seams on full court pressure. And rotate the bodies to keep them fresh in order to actually sustain the up-tempo for longer than VCU wants; then the minute they get tired and try to slow it down, go to half court, which they will then be giving, and pound it inside agains and again and again.

VCU Offense--VCU likes to push it. They try to dictate up-tempo, when they are creating havoc, not when not. At their best in transition, VCU is at its weakest in grind it out half court, because of their mediocre shooting. Conventional Pitino/Donovan half court sets.

KU counter defense--usual M2M, but some zone could exploit VCU's weak shooting, protect our bigs, and shake up their rhythm. KU will probably press a little, too, whenever VCU gets comfortable. KU needs to win the disruption game Self perfected before Smart even started coaching. Playing the disruption stat even just even with VCU, means our superior shooting all over the floor will grind them down and crush them by 30 minutes in. Protecting the bigs from fouls in a fast paced, and physical first ten minutes of the game is always crucial for KU.

KU Players Likely to See Some Special Duty: Bradford Burgess is a big strong wing. Brady and Selby could have trouble with this guy. Little and Releford are almost certain to get tried at shutting him down.

Telling Tactics:

How do KU's bigs hold up to 4 brawny bigs on the opposition, when no fouls are being called. Can our guys stay effective.

This seems like a game when Tyshawn, EJ and Selby may be able to take control of the game at times with penetration.

Which team best doubles the other team's big with the ball on the block is likely to be decisive. Each team has tons of fouls to give in the paint. KU has the vastly better shooting percentage inside, but only when they are allowed to shoot. VCU will try to maul them into shooting as poor of a percentage as VCU shoots.

Conclusion: this is another game where, regardless of where the tempo sets, a fight for physical domination and stifling defense will determine the out come. If KU can dominate, then KU's vastly superior skill all over the floor will make a big win certain. But VCU has made a living all season long roughing people up and disrupting them down to their level. All the rough house games KU has played this season will be excellent preparation.

Verdict: KU by 15.

BCRavenJHawkfan 9 years, 8 months ago

Maybe I'm the only one to think this but that VCU/Florida St. game had me wondering not who was going to rise up and win it but which team could step on it's own dick the most.

KU_FanSince75 9 years, 8 months ago

I thought our bench was superb and part of that success was because of Josh Selby. Our bench should be a factor against, hopefully, a tired VCU team.

Good luck Jayhawks! One game at a time! Senior Leadership! Win and you're going to Houston, baby!

Woody Cragg 9 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for the analysis JB. You've excelled at homework-again. Just watched the final 10min + OT Butler/Fla & was Xtreme/tripping galore. The refs let most of it go on too. Also the AzUConn game is major mauling Xtreme bang ball at it's best. Trob may love this stuff but Derrick Williams is cryin like a baby. Damn, you'd think he was from Texa$$ too-surely not? Used to think blood donors played hockey but this tourney is rugged, not for whiners. Hey let em play on the court not the streets. Watched the "Fighter" yesterday & these teams need a cutman suitable for Irish Mickey Ward. Don't like to admit it but I thought Texa$$ got screwed too...but only from the revenue sharing aspect for the conf. Off subject but "The Fighter" is great-2 Oscar winners in it. Very, very intense drama. Bad language for kids. Real bad, but mostly accurate account of his early rough years until his brother straightened up & got off the dope. Doesn't even touch on the greatest fights of his career; 3 Ring magazine fights of the year late 90's-early 2000's. Absolutely one helluva a fighter. When you run outa hoops this is a great flick! Like KUBB...it kicks MAJOR A$$!

jaybate 9 years, 8 months ago

Brad Stevens is a "nice" guy, but it was his illegal hand checking defense in last year's final that sent Coach Consonants into XTReme Cheap Shotting mode.

Regardless, I am amazed that Stevens has been able to get to the Final Four two years in a row from a mid major.

I thought the tall, skinny forward last season that was drafted high by the NBA was the heart and soul of last year's Butler team. I did not think Stevens could get them back without him.

But nothing is written.

jaybate 9 years, 8 months ago

"Some Possible Explanations for All the Upsets"

~Muammar.

~Mossad.

~Gaming industry decided on some "upsets" to spike revenues in anticipation of rising gas prices.

~Jerry Lewis' The Nutty Professor has taken over Butler's Brad Stevens' body and is giving refs salvia divinorum at commercial breaks, while coming out after halves dressed as Buddy Love singing "We don't need another hero/we just need find the way home/...from Thunderdome."

~H.A.A.R.P. antennae array at Gakona, AK exciting the ionosphere and directing energy beams at all top coaches but Self and Calhoun.

~Rahm Emanuel is back in Chi and he has a control panel with a dial labeled "upsets."

~China is ticked about losing oil contracts with Muammar, because of Shock'n'Awe 2.0, so the Chinese submarine fleet has surfaced off Galveston and is firing millions of smart bottle rockets at top teams.

~A lot of high ranked teams were undeserving of their hype.

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)