Tuesday, February 22, 2011

KU basketball impresses Oklahoma State; Cowboys say, ‘Too many weapons’

Markieff Morris (21) fights for a loose ball with Oklahoma State's Markel Brown (22) during the second half Monday, Feb. 21, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Videos

KU vs. Oklahoma State

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Oklahoma State on Tuesday, Feb. 22, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 92-65 victory over Oklahoma State on Feb. 21, 2011.

Download podcast

Oklahoma State coach Travis Ford wasn’t blaming his defense for Kansas University’s 92-point effort Monday night.

“We didn’t do bad, but (the Jayhawks) played as well as I’ve seen them play,” Ford said following KU’s 92-65 victory. “They really, really shot the basketball. Really shot it. And I’ve seen them shoot well, but I don’t know about to that extent.”

KU made 54.4 percent of its shots and 43.5 percent of its threes.

“When they shoot the ball like that, I don’t see how anybody can beat them,” Ford said. “Too many weapons. Too many weapons. They’re just really, really good. Really good.”

That included Marcus and Markieff Morris, who combined for 42 points on 15-for-23 shooting against the Cowboys.

Ford said the brothers were two of the toughest players OSU had faced all year because of their versatility.

“Every time they shot, you think, ‘Well, he’s not going to make this one, surely,’” Ford said, “then they just kept making them.”

OSU forward Marshall Moses said he was impressed with the twins’ defense.

“They can guard, both of them,” Moses said. “I didn’t even know a lot of times which one was guarding me, whether it was Marcus or Markieff. Kansas as a whole was a really good defensive team.”

KU’s 92 points were the most allowed by OSU this season. The Jayhawks’ 52 first-half points were 10 more than the Cowboys’ previous high allowed this year (against Oklahoma).

“They’re just as good an offensive team that I’ve seen in a very, very long time,” Ford said.

Moses agreed.

“If you make a mistake, man, they make you pay,” Moses said. “If you leave them open, they make it. They’re a really efficient team. That’s the best word I can use to describe them.”

Ford didn’t hesitate when asked if KU should be in the discussion for top team in the country.

“I don’t think there’s any question, you can definitely talk about them being one of the best teams easily. Easily,” Ford said. “You don’t have to be any genius to figure that one out. They’re as good as advertised.”

Comments

KU_Alumn_2000 3 years, 9 months ago

This team is almost like a classic Roy Williams team. A team that loves to score...and is good at it.

Defense wins championships though. You can be consistently good on the defensive end...but hitting 50+ percent from the floor is tough to do night in and night out.

mdfraz 3 years, 9 months ago

+1. Maybe you get lucky over the six game tourney and shoot 50+ % every night. But if you don't, well, season may be over. Defense, however, you can play every single game and doesn't take luck or good bounces. Look at the scores of our opponents in the 2008 tournament.......61, 56, 57, 57, 66, 68. We don't win the Davidson game if we allow them 60 points. There's a reason they say "defense wins championships". The most impressive part of last night I thought was EJ's defense all night. If he can do that against everyone, we have a great shot at going a long way.

Jacobpaul81 3 years, 9 months ago

Shooting 50% doesn't win you games. You can shoot 50% and have half as many opportunities as your opponent. We don't have to shoot 50% to win... but we do have to out rebound, turn the ball over less than our opponents, and force our opponents to shoot less than 50%.

Shooting efficiently only gets you so far. Creating opportunities to shoot while limiting your opponent's opportunities is how you win basketball games.

Alohahawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Since the Self era began, I've debated (in my mind), whether I preferred Roy's "run and gun style" with less defense, to Self's "defense first" teams. Both coaches have had winning records and kept KU ranked high in the polls. So, I can't complain much about either one. But I do remember a certain semifinal game in which defense played a major part, and how the Jayhawk faithful were delirious with joy when the Tarheels were made to look like a team of grade schoolers. I love the offense, but the defense can be more satisfying in the long run. It's not easy, but home runs are a regular occurence in baseball. It's much more difficult to throw a no hitter.

That said, I know I wouldn't be satisfied with the slow it to a snail's pace style of play which some coaches preach and run. That's what makes this team so exciting to watch. What's amazing is, even with all the setbacks, the Hawks have rarely lost a beat. Hardships, adversity, injuries, suspensions: None of these seem to have much effect on their offensive performance. (I'll try to avoid the uncontrollables, such as officiating.)

KU fans are spoiled and we find it hard to accept anything short of perfection, that, and a National Championship. As much as Coach Self hates to lose, at times he still must get frustrated with our expectations. I mean,how many coaches have ever had a winning record like he has, and still hear dissension amongst the fans.

My point: I doubt this team will ever come close to meeting Coach Self's defensive expectations. Luckily, our offense has been up to the challenge and, I believe of late, has surpassed Coach Self's expectations. Hopefully, our threes keep falling and our freethrows continue to fall. If so, as the OSU coach, Chris Ford, said, this team has what it takes to win the coveted NC.

One game at a time, Hawks. RCJHGKU

ChicagoGman 3 years, 9 months ago

+1.....Um...I think we share a brain, almost creepy. Thought I might have written this while sleepwalking and raiding the fridge last night.

dhortens 3 years, 9 months ago

Well said and I agree....

The big difference in Roy vs. Self, to me, has been that Self's teams have been better year in and year out. Roy tends to recruit hard one year and take it easy the next, which led to the up and down's of his teams. Notice how UNC has not been relevant the last couple years? Self doesn't take it easy recruiting and is rewarded for it, his teams are always talked about when the NC is mentioned.

As fans, all we can ask for is to be in the mix when the NC is determined. We're spoiled by all the wins, conference championships and blowouts. To be in the thick of things year in and year out is a pleasure many schools will never experience. I'm enjoying Self's teams more than Roy's.

Defense is the big difference.

Jim Roth 3 years, 9 months ago

OSU forward Marshall Moses said he was impressed with the twins’ defense.

But he still scored 27. His compliment seems rather self-congratulatory.

Steve Corder 3 years, 9 months ago

When did Allen Fieldhouse become Phog Allen Fieldhouse? I don't know about our fans, but Brent Musberger is using "Phog" and it drives me nuts. I don't mind the referrence to "The Phog" as in "Beware The Phog" but gee, Brent, drop "Phog" from Phog Allen Fieldhouse.

Knight was quick to recoginize EJ's first half defense, and in the pregame he didn't think KU would miss Taylor at all. Whether you like him or not on the TV broadcasts, I'd love to talk basketball and general sports history over a lunch or dinner with him.

slowplay 3 years, 9 months ago

I think Musberger went to High School with Phog. I met Coach Knight at a coaches clinic back in the mid-90's. I sat at the same luncheon table with him (and about 10 others). He likes to talk a lot about himself but it was pretty entertaining. I'm sure he's mellowed out a bit since then.

Funhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Bob Knight is a hoot. Several times last night he called KU "K-State."

brooksmd 3 years, 9 months ago

There should be a way for those of us listening to Coach Knight to signal the crowd whenever he calls us K-State and they could start a "We Are, Kansas" chant.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 9 months ago

I'd suggest a website where we could log onto...we could wire his chair with one of those dog shock colors, but on his rump...We could hit it whenever he does something weird....It sure woudl be funny to watch.

741hawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Couldn't agree more! Pet Peeve of mine, too. The name on the building reads Allen Field House. Three words, evenly spaced across the front of the building and above Forrest C's statue.

Allen Field House.

741hawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Allen Field House.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 9 months ago

All 5 Letters as well...just as a note.

Ashwin Rao 3 years, 9 months ago

Another opponent finishes with a near 66 score (65). What is with that number this year! :)

AirCapJay 3 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, at the end of the game I thought we were fouling on purpose so that OSU could get to the magical 66.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 9 months ago

Phillips "66" is the Big XII sponsor, and I think we are trying to get free gas for our jet plane

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 9 months ago

Moses said, "I don't know which one was guarding me." LOL. The song, "Double Vision," from Foreigner, comes to mind.

Funhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Mr. Moses had nightmares last night. "The Night of the Living Morrises." Every one breaking into his dreams looked like a Morris.

jayhawkintx73 3 years, 9 months ago

A couple of the Oklahoma State players, got punked. Pilgrim and Moses. They were talking a big game, until KU shoved it down their throats. Here is an idea Pilgrim and Moses(NEXT TIME HOPE YOU HAVE A GOOD TEAM).

railer20 3 years, 9 months ago

As far as I'm concerned Moses can talk all he wants...I don't think scoring 27 points and shooting like he did means he got punked. The Morri bros can score, most of the times at will, but they are going to need to start playing some D...no way should Moses be driving to the hole past them like he was.

Dale Kroening 3 years, 9 months ago

I would agree that Pilgrim got punked, fouling out only playing 13 minutes after talking all that trash to Marcus early on, BUT how did Moses get punked by making 8-11 shots, 10-13 FTs, and scoring 27 points. I wouldnt call that getting punked. While he made several shots with a hand in his face, I do agree the twins need to defend better and foul less.