Tuesday, February 22, 2011

KU basketball impresses Oklahoma State; Cowboys say, ‘Too many weapons’

Markieff Morris (21) fights for a loose ball with Oklahoma State's Markel Brown (22) during the second half Monday, Feb. 21, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Videos

KU vs. Oklahoma State

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Oklahoma State on Tuesday, Feb. 22, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 92-65 victory over Oklahoma State on Feb. 21, 2011.

Download podcast

Oklahoma State coach Travis Ford wasn’t blaming his defense for Kansas University’s 92-point effort Monday night.

“We didn’t do bad, but (the Jayhawks) played as well as I’ve seen them play,” Ford said following KU’s 92-65 victory. “They really, really shot the basketball. Really shot it. And I’ve seen them shoot well, but I don’t know about to that extent.”

KU made 54.4 percent of its shots and 43.5 percent of its threes.

“When they shoot the ball like that, I don’t see how anybody can beat them,” Ford said. “Too many weapons. Too many weapons. They’re just really, really good. Really good.”

That included Marcus and Markieff Morris, who combined for 42 points on 15-for-23 shooting against the Cowboys.

Ford said the brothers were two of the toughest players OSU had faced all year because of their versatility.

“Every time they shot, you think, ‘Well, he’s not going to make this one, surely,’” Ford said, “then they just kept making them.”

OSU forward Marshall Moses said he was impressed with the twins’ defense.

“They can guard, both of them,” Moses said. “I didn’t even know a lot of times which one was guarding me, whether it was Marcus or Markieff. Kansas as a whole was a really good defensive team.”

KU’s 92 points were the most allowed by OSU this season. The Jayhawks’ 52 first-half points were 10 more than the Cowboys’ previous high allowed this year (against Oklahoma).

“They’re just as good an offensive team that I’ve seen in a very, very long time,” Ford said.

Moses agreed.

“If you make a mistake, man, they make you pay,” Moses said. “If you leave them open, they make it. They’re a really efficient team. That’s the best word I can use to describe them.”

Ford didn’t hesitate when asked if KU should be in the discussion for top team in the country.

“I don’t think there’s any question, you can definitely talk about them being one of the best teams easily. Easily,” Ford said. “You don’t have to be any genius to figure that one out. They’re as good as advertised.”

Comments

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 2 months ago

Notice how Oklahoma ST. played when Brady was in there. They blew Brady out of the game and left him standing.

jayhawkintx73 3 years, 2 months ago

A couple of the Oklahoma State players, got punked. Pilgrim and Moses. They were talking a big game, until KU shoved it down their throats. Here is an idea Pilgrim and Moses(NEXT TIME HOPE YOU HAVE A GOOD TEAM).

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 2 months ago

Moses said, "I don't know which one was guarding me." LOL. The song, "Double Vision," from Foreigner, comes to mind.

Ashwin Rao 3 years, 2 months ago

Another opponent finishes with a near 66 score (65). What is with that number this year! :)

Steve Corder 3 years, 2 months ago

When did Allen Fieldhouse become Phog Allen Fieldhouse? I don't know about our fans, but Brent Musberger is using "Phog" and it drives me nuts. I don't mind the referrence to "The Phog" as in "Beware The Phog" but gee, Brent, drop "Phog" from Phog Allen Fieldhouse.

Knight was quick to recoginize EJ's first half defense, and in the pregame he didn't think KU would miss Taylor at all. Whether you like him or not on the TV broadcasts, I'd love to talk basketball and general sports history over a lunch or dinner with him.

Jim Roth 3 years, 2 months ago

OSU forward Marshall Moses said he was impressed with the twins’ defense.

But he still scored 27. His compliment seems rather self-congratulatory.

Alohahawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Since the Self era began, I've debated (in my mind), whether I preferred Roy's "run and gun style" with less defense, to Self's "defense first" teams. Both coaches have had winning records and kept KU ranked high in the polls. So, I can't complain much about either one. But I do remember a certain semifinal game in which defense played a major part, and how the Jayhawk faithful were delirious with joy when the Tarheels were made to look like a team of grade schoolers. I love the offense, but the defense can be more satisfying in the long run. It's not easy, but home runs are a regular occurence in baseball. It's much more difficult to throw a no hitter.

That said, I know I wouldn't be satisfied with the slow it to a snail's pace style of play which some coaches preach and run. That's what makes this team so exciting to watch. What's amazing is, even with all the setbacks, the Hawks have rarely lost a beat. Hardships, adversity, injuries, suspensions: None of these seem to have much effect on their offensive performance. (I'll try to avoid the uncontrollables, such as officiating.)

KU fans are spoiled and we find it hard to accept anything short of perfection, that, and a National Championship. As much as Coach Self hates to lose, at times he still must get frustrated with our expectations. I mean,how many coaches have ever had a winning record like he has, and still hear dissension amongst the fans.

My point: I doubt this team will ever come close to meeting Coach Self's defensive expectations. Luckily, our offense has been up to the challenge and, I believe of late, has surpassed Coach Self's expectations. Hopefully, our threes keep falling and our freethrows continue to fall. If so, as the OSU coach, Chris Ford, said, this team has what it takes to win the coveted NC.

One game at a time, Hawks. RCJHGKU

KU_Alumn_2000 3 years, 2 months ago

This team is almost like a classic Roy Williams team. A team that loves to score...and is good at it.

Defense wins championships though. You can be consistently good on the defensive end...but hitting 50+ percent from the floor is tough to do night in and night out.