Originally published February 22, 2011 at 12:00a.m., updated February 22, 2011 at 10:42a.m.

Keegan

Did Tyshawn Taylor just get Pipped?

Videos

KU vs. Oklahoma State

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Oklahoma State on Tuesday, Feb. 22, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 92-65 victory over Oklahoma State on Feb. 21, 2011.

Download podcast

After Johnson contributed 15 points and three assists with just two turnovers in Kansas University’s 92-65 rout of Oklahoma State in Allen Fieldhouse, the victorious coach made it clear with several statements that the starting point-guard position is Johnson’s to lose.

As Arte Johnson used to say on Rowan and Martin Laugh-In, “Interesting. Very interesting.” And Johnson — Elijah, not Arte — only got the start because the special device for Josh Selby’s shoe was at his mother’s house, so he wasn’t ready to start until the correct shoe was retrieved for him.

While it’s true that if a team has three point guards sharing the job, it actually doesn’t have any point guards, that’s not a death sentence to national-title hopes in this season of imperfection in college basketball.

It doesn’t get much easier for a player to break into the starting lineup than playing a home game against an Oklahoma State team one year after the James Anderson era and one season before LeBryan Nash’s arrival, in other words an atypically vulnerable Cowboys squad. Still, Johnson showed enough to want to see what he can do Saturday on the road against Oklahoma and again at home March 2 when Texas A&M visits on Senior Day.

As baseball lore has it, Pip was hung over, said he was sick and asked out of the lineup, and Gehrig saw to it that he never got back in. Taylor, of course, didn’t ask out of the lineup. He was told by his coach that whatever team rule he broke, he got caught breaking it.

The team needed either Johnson, who started the season with a two-game suspension for non-specific knuckle-headed behavior, or Selby to play terrifically to shift the focus away from Taylor’s latest self-destructive transgression. Johnson did so by for the most part being content to run the offense that very often resulted in either Marcus Morris showing why he’s a strong Big 12 Player of the Year candidate or in Johnson hitting a jumper he didn’t hurry.

Maybe Taylor’s the last to fall into line and is shocked into cerebral play on and off the court, or maybe coach Bill Self lets Johnson take the reins. Taylor need only look at specific instances of the Morris twins from the past two games to realize it’s possible to let the mind defeat emotions, one of life’s never-ending battles for most of us.

Midway through the second half of Saturday’s victory against Colorado, Markieff snared a rebound in traffic, and his elbows were pointed outward when he came down with it as Buffaloes from all directions were trying to slap at the ball. The natural, emotional response would have had Markieff swinging his elbows to clear space. It looked as if he was about to do just that, but he checked his swing in the nick of time, drew his elbows to his body and covered up the ball. Not missing a beat, the crowd applauded him for his cool-headed play.

His personable brother Marcus, clearly wounded by the heat his brother took in the wake of a three-point, no-rebound night in the loss at Kansas State, was nothing short of terrific Monday, scoring 27 points, leaping to the heavens for an on-ball blocked shot and going out of his way afterward to praise his twin, the star of the Colorado game. Oklahoma State’s wide-body power forward Matt Pilgrim looked as if on a mission to trigger Marcus’ temper at the outset of the game, talking trash to him and bumping him constantly and even nailing him with an elbow. Marcus let Pilgrim play the role of bouncer, and he played the role of the bartender tossing glasses in the air, catching them, pouring drinks with style and pretty much making himself the center of attention without moving his lips.

“It’s hard to say he was trying to,” Marcus said. “At the beginning of the game, he gave me a little ’bow to show he was there. And I gave him 27 (points) to show I was there.”

Taylor also could learn watching the way Johnson, not nearly as quick afoot as Taylor, stayed focused defensively in chasing Keiton Page, the Cowboys’ sawed-off gunner, around screens and frustrating him into a 2-for-11 shooting performance. Self detailed how Johnson played a few of those screens the wrong way, and Johnson also didn’t look like a point guard when he turned it over when trapped near halfcourt once and again threw it away when trying to feed Markieff in the post from an awkward angle. Johnson wasn’t perfect, but he played well enough to make Self tell the world he has a serious shot at stealing Taylor’s job.

North Carolina’s season turned for the better when junior Larry Drew II was benched in favor of freshman Kendall Marshall. St. Louis Cardinals ace Joaquin Andujar once said, “Baseball can be summed up in one word: Youneverknow.” The same goes for basketball.

• A previous version of this story was updated.

Comments

Christopher Hauser 3 years, 5 months ago

Instant classic!

rwhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

YES! This is the attitude and response fans have wanted all year. Of course, Self would have probably preferred to hear, "And defensively, I completely shut him down to show I was there." But hey, I'll take it.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 5 months ago

That was EJ's comment.

I'm hoping it was/is contagious.

murph 3 years, 5 months ago

I don't know what you just read, but I just read about two of KU's players making boneheaded mistakes - Tyshawn tailoring himself into Self's doghouse, and then Josh Selby being so careless as to not have his necessary equipment where it should have been - and Elijah Johnson making the most of his unexpected chance.

Welcome to the startlng lineup, Mr. Johnson. We hope you enjoy your stay.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 5 months ago

This door should have been opened in December....EJ responded in every positive way one could hope for!!

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 5 months ago

Mistakes happen...I would have payed anything for spell check & word back in the day.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

"Oklahoma State’s wide-body power forward Matt Pilgrim looked as if on a mission to trigger Marcus’ temper at the outset of the game, talking trash to him and bumping him constantly and even nailing him with an elbow."

Yeah, that was pretty clear wasn't it? It's fairly obvious what the scouting report says in how opposing bigs want to take on the twins. Double props to Marcus for keeping himself under control and dominating Pilgrim on the court.

Well done, Marcus. Well done.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 5 months ago

I did see some mutual back pats early in the game between them so I'm not so sure..but I also saw what you are referring to as well.

Todd 3 years, 5 months ago

This article was pure jibberish.

actorman 3 years, 5 months ago

The usual Keegan-bashers are out in force. Go ahead, get your ridiculous aggression out of your system ...

That being said, although it's a good article, there are a couple of errors that need to be fixed:

(a) "it’s a little early to fit Elijah Johnson for the moniker Wally Pip ..." This is a particularly egregious error, since the whole point of the article is that Tyshawn Taylor would be Wally Pip, not Elijah Johnson.

(b) This error isn't as big a deal, but it's Arte Johnson, not Artie Johnson.

Other than those couple of things, good article.

Bridgett Wagner 3 years, 5 months ago

Also, I think there are 2 p's at the end of Pipp. O.o

Jesse Newell 3 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for the feedback. "Arte" and "Pipp" have been changed above.

Jesse Newell 3 years, 5 months ago

And Taylor has been changed to reflect he is like Pipp.

TopJayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Yeah baby. Way to go Marcus. I've been one of those "snakes" you were refering to. Please understand, I never criticised your skills, your effort, or your loyalty to the team. All I was refering to was your getting angry and doing dumb things that hurt the team, and mostly, yourself. Keep your head and make 'em pay on the court. Like with 27 points.

I am so proud of you tonight that if it were permissable, or practicle, which it is not, I would take you to lunch tomorrow and tell you how proud I am of you...

Rock Chalk 'Cus and 'Kief. That's the stuff right there.

Patrickulating 3 years, 5 months ago

"Lou Gehrig didn’t become Lou Gehrig in one night, so it’s a little early to fit Elijah Johnson for the moniker Wally Pip, but Johnson’s performance in the first game of Tyshawn Taylor’s untimely indefinite suspension opened a door that Johnson walked through quite gracefully Monday."

It is actually Pipp, with three Ps. http://www.snopes.com/sports/baseball/pipp.asp

actorman 3 years, 5 months ago

Good point, Patrick. I missed that misspelling. Common, TK, get your details right.

Patrickulating 3 years, 5 months ago

Don't be too hard on TK. It took me 15 seconds to google Pipp's name. TK might not have had that kind of spare time.

Brianna Zaleski 3 years, 5 months ago

Why the reference to a bartender and a bouncer? So random. Maybe we have a little insight into where TK watches the games and why his columns suck so bad... Too much time drinking and staring at coeds at Fatsos... Fatso!

Scott Morgan 3 years, 5 months ago

Velle interesting Tom. Great writing, fun to read. Wally Pip is part of our culture, and you even explained.

upinsmoke 3 years, 5 months ago

I have to echo what topjayhawk said. Pilgram and Moses were running their mouths and bumping all night trying to get a reaction from the twins. Good level headed play tonight from them, and EJ was just what we need. He didn't force anything and let the game come to him. Hopefully he will not let this performance go to his head, and continue this play on Saturday.

KGphoto 3 years, 5 months ago

I wouldn't say "all night".

Didn't Pilgrim spend almost the entire second half fouled out?

Studogg 3 years, 5 months ago

Yep. There were about 17 minutes left in the game. Earliest I've ever seen a player foul out.

RockCaCO3 3 years, 5 months ago

"Maybe Self said what he said to capture Taylor’s attention, or maybe the coach simply has grown weary of inconsistent point-guard play and is ready to turn the job over to the most consistent performer."

The later.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 5 months ago

As ahper says everytime he reads a tk article "waitwhat"

The last paragraph was my favorite. Talking about UNC season turning move. Err whoops, they just set the record for fewest points scored in a home game last weened in a 2 point win over BC. To a quote from a obscure STL pitcher.

For the love of god! Please ljw execs! Please!

KGphoto 3 years, 5 months ago

That was an unreadable mess.

Glass houses mulaza. Glass houses.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 5 months ago

Little different. Ones a poster the other is a paid columnist. However both make frequent spelling and grammatical mistakes.

KGphoto 3 years, 5 months ago

I wish KU played defense as well as you.

Cameron Schienebeck 3 years, 5 months ago

I love playing the Keegan headline game. It's amazing how many times I can look through and pick his out. I'll just leave it at that.

As for the game, EJ played great but those of you who think we don't need TT are just plain stupid. This game is about depth and we are one of the few teams with depth and experience on our side. We'll need both come tournament time.

KGphoto 3 years, 5 months ago

Earth to camron... We have depth with or without him. Self is only gonna play 8, maybe 9 guys starting in March. It's gonna be Taylor or EJ, and I'm going with Gehrig.

Don't call me stupid!

Cameron Schienebeck 3 years, 5 months ago

Thanks Derrick Zoolander for the "Earth to" reference. I'd just rather have the ball in the hands of a junior come March than a sophomore or freshman. Granted TT is like Rondo without the passing or rebounding ability, which doesn't leave much, but he does control the ball and has experience. Either way I think it's good for EJ and Selby to get some time at point. Can only make us stronger.

KGphoto 3 years, 5 months ago

Interesting enough story. Not too sure about the Cowboys being "vulnerable" without LeBryan Nash or James Anderson though, since Moses parted the crimson twins last night and scored an all-too-easy 27. Or should I bartender-it-up and say he poured in 27, on 8-11 shots.

Mostly I liked it. A little creative writing in jaybate's absence is appreciated. But uh, jaybate... any time now.

swjhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

That lead sentence wasn't even worthy of a junior high newspaper. Count me in as a Keegan basher.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 5 months ago

Next the articles will start: websters dictionary defines. . .

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 5 months ago

WTF? Don't read them and then waste time posting.

Funhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

This was a fun article. The beginning was funny if you are a baby boomer. Ha - Artie Johnson hiding in the bushes at Laugh-In, "Vehr-dee een-ter-est-ink." After last night's game, yes, things at the point guard are very interesting. Did you see Elijah's look of concentration the whole game. Elijah was a bottle of glue emptied onto that sawed off gun slinger. He shut him down! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlm4O_...

davelass 3 years, 5 months ago

Keegan...wow. As I attempted to read through this 20 car pile up you posted as an "article" I couldn't help but ponder a whole series of "would you rather" queries...you know..the game you played on the bus for that god awful 4 hour away game...at this point I would rather stick bamboo under my nails while listening to a loop of Tears for Fears then attempt to process again what I just read..

tis4tim 3 years, 5 months ago

I've had about enough of your Tears for Fears bashing, davelass! :)

wildhrt 3 years, 5 months ago

Even more than the the misspelling of Walter Pipp, the more glaring error is Keegan's comparison of Elijah Johnson to Pipp. Pipp was the person for whom Gehrig substituted and became the new starter. Why would Elijah Johnson be fitted for the moniker Wally Pipp if he ultimately replaces Tyshawn Taylor as the starter? The more apt comparison would be Elijah as Gehrig and Taylor as Pipp.

RockChalkDoc 3 years, 5 months ago

wildhrt - You and I posted basically the same sentiment almost simultaneously (see below). Eery! I kept debating with myself if I was thinking of it in the wrong way, but your post helps assure me that I was not.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 5 months ago

Reread the title. It is actually pretty clear that Taylor, not EJ, was the one being compared to Pipp.

RockChalkDoc 3 years, 5 months ago

Wouldn't it be more accurate to ask if Tyshawn had just gotten "Gehrigged"?

Great team effort against OSU. The unsung hero was Mario Little. He went after every rebound with a vengeance, ending up with ten in only 19 minutes!

Bill Skeet 3 years, 5 months ago

That would have been a better headline.. Pipp is not a household name and I decrypted the headline to mean PIPed. Like he was put on an HR PIP -- as in Performance Improvement Plan...

I thought it was a bit harsh, but, it made sense that way, sorta...

Mangino_Maniac 3 years, 5 months ago

Did I read that correctly - did Keegan just use a quote from Joaquin Andujar???

Adam Evans 3 years, 5 months ago

Throughout most of the first half of this season, everyone was screaming for EJ to "get his chance". I never once thought he was ready. And at that point, he showed time and again why he wasn't ready. OKST is a decent team. Sure, not a top tier B12 team, but decent nonetheless. EJ became a man last night. He wont the confidence of his teammates, his coach, and his fans. Including myself. Way to go EJ. Now that you are in the driver's seat, drive us home buddy.

Judgesmails 3 years, 5 months ago

Another lame article from Woodling,,,,err, Keegan.

Isn't there some hoops legend from the peach basket days you could have referred to instead of Wally Pip?

Laugh-In ? What the hell is that?

RockCaCO3 3 years, 5 months ago

Only one of the best shows of the early 70's : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rowan_%2...'s_Laugh-In

Whiper snapper.

Funhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

And, the late 60s! "Sock It To Me!" "...one ringy dingy (snort snort)...two ringy dingys (snort snort) ....

Funhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

"Three ringy dingys (snort snort) ..." Wolfgang the German soldier (Artie Johnson) replies, "verrrry interesting."

RockCaCO3 3 years, 5 months ago

Alot of English Majors posting today. Time for a sonnet, or maybe a haiku, ah yes, I love haikus!

PhogAdvisory 3 years, 5 months ago

Elijah Johnson: Finally got his chance and Rocked the Phog last night!

(How was that?)

RockCaCO3 3 years, 5 months ago

3 lines, 5/7/5, content exceptional. Rock Chalk+

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 5 months ago

All readers agree The fact that Keegan is paid Makes us want to puke

RockCaCO3 3 years, 5 months ago

Very good, grasshopper.

Pretty funny, actually.

Danny Hernandez 3 years, 5 months ago

I thought Tom could have written his article without the "The team needed either Johnson, who started the season with a two-game suspension for non-specific knuckle-headed behavior, or Selby to play terrifically to shift the focus away from Taylor’s latest self-destructive transgression." TK, Really, was that necessary to get your point across? Nice how you slyly referred to Johnson as knuckle-headed and Taylor as self-destructive....At least you're not a homer...Can't imagine how you'd write the article if you were DeArmond or a tiger booster.

juke4jay 3 years, 5 months ago

You kiddos are making me feel quite old today. e.g. 'What was Laugh In'?? Wow, talk about a generational gap!

I've been a consistent Keegan basher, but found this article entertaining, and the title enaging. Everyone is entitled to their viewpoint. Given the number of baby boomers out there + Jayhawk fans, I suspect this article was overall a big winner for LJW.

jaybate 3 years, 5 months ago

You're not really a child of the internet age if you don't get that the internet has wiped out present and past. We are like the Hopi now. Everything is present. Jack Benny, Ernie Kovacs and Steve Martin and Richard Pryor coexist with Chris Rock and Lewis Black on YouTube. Mr. Novak and Gabe Kotter and Glee are all different facets of the universal now that is pixel civilization.

Live the model.

Age means exactly zero now, because history ended and futurism failed.

Welcome to now.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 5 months ago

How do I correlate TT defense on Pullen to Bill Buckner?

Pullen Bucknerized Taylor last week?

lee3022 3 years, 5 months ago

I believe Buckner did that all by himself, given that a Little Leaguer would have likely have made the play. But I get your point!

jaybate 3 years, 5 months ago

--Tom bo gai aka Kung Pow Keegs aka The Most Inconsistent Sport Commentator in KU History,

Leave it to Keegs to write an uninspired story that is a deep down tick from a clump of recent good stories and do so when writing about Taylor being inconsistent.

As Gomer Pyle might have shouted, "Citizen's arrest for imitative fallacy! Citizen's Arrest for Imitative Fallacy!"

squawkhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

<<<<<<<>>>>>> Little Tyshawn Taylor was suspended for failing to tinkle in a jar. Instead, he enlisted the help of a WBB player, also suspended, to tinkle for him. Naughtly little birds!

Woody Cragg 3 years, 5 months ago

Surely he knew they could teel the diff? After all he's a scholar athlete.

Woody Cragg 3 years, 5 months ago

IMO if it's more "impotent" to smoke it insted of walk it (rope), he should wear a damn tuxedo to a vasectomy so he can look impotent too! Sounds to me as he appreciates Kansas University about as much as a pig in a white shirt, so let him go elsewhere to get just whatever he wants. He's likely getting what he's got coming now. JMO

Lance Hobson 3 years, 5 months ago

Is TT really faster than EJ? I can't believe that, EJ is a speedster. If he's a pot smoker we should just get rid of him, we don't need that on our team.

HawkKlaw 3 years, 5 months ago

o.0

Wow, that was completely irrelevant. You do realize that this is Lawrence, the pot-smoking capital of Kansas, right?

Lance Hobson 3 years, 5 months ago

I went to KU and never smoked pot, and neither did any of my friends. We had a couple of pot heads in Oliver who were done after the first semester, but not much else. Alcohol was a different story...

Regardless, these are KU bball players and are held to a higher standard. It's the ultimate priviledge to play for KU.

Woody Cragg 3 years, 5 months ago

To make it legal, Calif actually allows Doctors of Divinty to write scripts for the crap. Scientologists, witch doctors, horse doctors-all can make profit from illegal drugs...as long as the govt (Pelosi & friends) get a little off the top. They're livin the dream in Tiajuana now. Funny how this sounds like "Casino".

HawkKlaw 3 years, 5 months ago

Well I, for one, am glad that cancer patients and other people who actually need to use it as a medicine can get it legally now in certain states. Sure, a lot of people abuse the law, but what do you expect when 60% of the population admits to at least trying it and 30% do it on a regular basis? If the government was smart, they would sell it themselves and tax the crap out of it. Boom! No more recession.

Woody Cragg 3 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, another drug to abuse...works for you huh? Hopefully you aren't stupid enough to want to get cancer so you can continue your idiotic lifestyle every day henceforth. How the-did you ever graduate from a college? Cheech Marin test out for you? Maybe Obama will hire you as an economic advisor.

Woody Cragg 3 years, 5 months ago

HawkKlaw 3 years, 5 months ago

Well, I have a degree from KU and I smoked pot all day every day when I was there (not so much anymore...). I know a bunch of alcoholics who dropped out after a semester though.

Haha...higher standard. Nice choice of words.

HawkKlaw 3 years, 5 months ago

Oh and by the way, remember this? http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3567481

Do you think we needed Chalmers or Arthur to win that National Championship? I sure do (and I think Jayhawk nation would agree). And just think, one day Chalmers will have his jersey hung in the rafters alongside all the KU greats! What a loser...

Robert Rauktis 3 years, 5 months ago

"Lou Gehrig didn’t become Lou Gehrig in one night, so it’s a little early to fit Tyshawn Taylor for the moniker Wally Pipp, but Elijah Johnson’s performance in the first game of Taylor’s untimely indefinite suspension opened a door that Johnson walked through quite gracefully Monday."

This is great!! Four lines of run-on sentence. Great for teaching the "no's" in simple communication and creative writing.

lee3022 3 years, 5 months ago

The goal of a journalist in modern Internet format is to evoke page hits and comments. In that regard this article is an outstanding success. The advertisers will be pleased.

I am no basher so this is a serious question:

"Taylor also could learn watching the way Johnson, not nearly as quick afoot as Taylor, stayed focused defensively in chasing Keiton Page"

Since Bob Knight (suspected of having some knowledge of the game) in the broadcast said that Johnson had all the physical skills of Taylor is Johnson really not as quick afoot as Taylor as Mr Keegan contends?

trout984bum 3 years, 5 months ago

Lee, I had the same suspicions about Keegan's supposed speed disparity between Taylor and Johnson, even though I think Taylor may be a bit faster.

I'd still like to see the Selby we saw in his first game as a Jayhawk. Taylor's attitude and lack of ball control will always drive me crazy, but now it's Johnson's turn to not screw up or get injured...

However, if I've seen it once, I've seen it a thousand times. One fantastic game against a mediocre opponent is no benchmark for deciding who gets the start for the remainder of the year. Let's see what happens over the next few games.