Kansas State defeats Kansas, 84-68

• 8 p.m., Feb. 14, 2011
  • Bramlage Coliseum, Manhattan, KS

Originally published February 15, 2011 at 12:00a.m., updated February 15, 2011 at 01:06p.m.

Kings for a day: Jayhawks rise to No. 1, fall — hard — to ’Cats

Kansas players leave the floor as the Kansas State student section rushes the court after the Wildcats defeated the Jayhawks, 84-68, on Monday, Feb. 14, 2011 at Bramlage Coliseum.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 84-68 loss to Kansas State on Feb. 14, 2011.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU players Tyrel Reed and Mario Little

Kansas players Tyrel Reed and Mario Little talk to reporters following the Jayhawks' 84-68 loss to Kansas State on Feb. 14, 2011.

Download podcast

— The new No. 1 team in the country didn’t play like the best squad in the land on Monday night in Bramlage Coliseum.

“The No. 1 ranking? After watching that? Geez ... we may fall out of the polls next week,” Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self said after the Jayhawks’ 84-68 loss to unrated Kansas State.

The game came on the same day KU ascended to No. 1 in both the AP and USA Today/ESPN polls.

“That wasn’t a very good team playing tonight,” Self added after KU’s worst loss to K-State since a 17-pointer (70-53) on Jan. 23, 1982, in Manhattan. The loss was also the Jayhawks’ largest margin of defeat overall since a 19-pointer at Texas Tech on March 4, 2009 (84-65).

“Let’s call it like it is: That was a beatdown,” Self added. “I thought they controlled the game from the opening tip. We were on our heels.”

Self was able to keep his sense of humor after his Jayhawks (24-2 overall, 9-2 Big 12) were burned by KSU’s Jacob Pullen to the tune of a career-high 38 points.

The senior guard hit nine of 17 shots, including five of six threes. He made 15 of 19 free throws en route to the 12th-best single-game scoring output against KU. It was the most points against KU since Michael Beasley of KSU scored 39 versus the Jayhawks on March 1, 2008, in Lawrence.

Pullen’s 38 points were, in fact, the most points against a top-ranked team since Houston’s Elvin Hayes potted 39 for Houston versus UCLA in 1968. North Carolina’s Antawn Jamison had 35 versus Duke in 1997-98.

“Our play against him was poor,” Self said, adding, “He was fabulous. I don’t know that kid very well. He’s got 38 points on national TV against a team that doesn’t deserve it, but is ranked No. 1 in the country, against their arch-rivals and he defers to not shoot the ball to get 40 ... (that’s) class.”

Self, in fact, stopped Pullen in a Bramlage Coliseum hallway to tell Pullen how impressed he was with his sportsmanship.

“We defended him poorly, but he was fabulous,” Self repeated.

The Jayhawks fell behind 18-10 and 30-16, as well as 42-33 at the half, but trailed by just five points (46-41) with 16:25 left, yet a 19-6 KSU run took care of that.

The performance of the Wildcats (17-9, 5-6) made some wonder if this was all about KU feeling the pressure of being No. 1. It was the first time KU immediately lost on the same day as being tapped No. 1 since 1994 in Lawrence when KSU beat the Jayhawks, 68-64.

“I don’t think where we were ranked had anything to do with how we played,” Self said. “Pullen had a lot more to do with how we played than any ranking.

Noted KU’s Tyrel Reed (14 points): “Obviously we were No. 1 and didn’t protect it well. We were not trying to protect it. Give credit to K-State. We couldn’t match them tonight. We had some opportunities the second half. We cut it to five and didn’t do anything with it. We turned it over or took a bad shot. That was our M.O.”

KU also had a pair of unfortunate plays. Markieff Morris was called for an intentional foul in the first half, apparently swinging an elbow, and Elijah Johnson was called for a technical foul for yapping after dunking with the Jayhawks down, 71-57.

“I mean, definitely those things have to be addressed,” Reed said. “We have to be a more mature team than that.”

KU juniors Marcus Morris had 13 points and four turnovers, Markieff Morris three points and no boards and Tyshawn Taylor eight points and six turnovers.

“Our three junior starters all had rough nights, without question,” Self said.

“I will not put a positive spin on this. We played our in-state rival in their building in a great atmosphere, and we didn’t respond,” Self added. “I heard Frank (Martin, KSU coach) say that when he’s come to Allen. I probably feel the same way Frank did leaving Allen (after KU’s 90-66 win on Jan. 29) as I do Bramlage tonight. They were without question the better team from the opening tip.”

Josh Selby (stress reaction in foot) had four points in 11 minutes. He was playing for the first time in four games.

“I wasn’t going to even play Josh,” Self said. “We had nobody else we could go to. He only practiced one day. Hopefully he can get back in the flow and be a contributor in a big way.”

Interactive Timeline

2010-11 KU men's basketball timeline

• A previous version of this story was updated.

Comments

Steve Brown 3 years, 1 month ago

after the game I snuggled up with a bottle of kettle one and I ran out of lemon wedges I swwitched to Bombay saphire and when I ran out of olives, the memory of losing in the Octogon of Petticoat Junction still stunk so I found the CBS tape review of the 08 team and watch Russ Rob cry at senior night, Brandon slam dunk after his knee recovered, Stewart saying that playing in AFH with 16,300 every night was special and boy was Sasha and Shady special, fun to see Cole and Reed as punk freshman, then the games in San Antonio...

I feel good again....God is in his heaven and all is right with the world.

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

"never let your perimeter players go off". Hmm, funny that I can recall various games where Selby, Brady, Reed, Marcus, Little "went off". Multiple offensive threats every night is harder to guard, harder to beat. Nothing is perfect. We didnt lose this game on the offensive end: you miss the w-h-o-l-e point of Selfball: We lost this game because we couldnt get defensive stops to close the gap...and maybe there wouldnt be a gap if we played D in the first place? Get it?

And "wrong" on your 22ft shot theory--Self himself has complained about players "falling in love with the trey", and wanting more driving and penetration to 'balance' the team. Seems Self is already all over your ideas, thanx for contributing. He has also turned "loose" Selby, Little, in addition to the already-green lighted Marcus, Tyshawn, Reed, Brady. The devil in SelfBall is the multiple decisions and ball distribution. Players "get it" at various stages in their Selfball careers.

Andrew Washington 3 years, 2 months ago

I think that sometimes we need less of this "SelfBall" and more of a superstar player that can really score like crazy. We SHOULD have "that guy" that we go to. Maybe if we had a better offensive system then we'd have gone to at least 3 final fours under coach self instead of just one (barely made it that time too). Alot of times SelfBall and the balanced scoring doesnt workout. Let the star players be star players and dont focus on letting everyplayer get that touch all the time. SelfBall might be good, but only if we could play it like Pitt-maybe they're playing something like bill self envisions for kansas?

squawkhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

K-State exposed a gaping hole in this team aka the morris thugs! This team will get beat in the early rounds of the NCAA with these trouble makers. Mark my words!

Chris1955 3 years, 2 months ago

Somebody answer this questions for me:

Are you better off playing a more athletic, but dumber player; or, are you better off playing a less athletic smarter player? Look at the teams in the final fours year in and year out. which type of philosophy gets you to the final four?

Now, look at KU. What do you see?

steamboat 3 years, 2 months ago

there's 149 posts on this site and I'm guessing 140 are bashing KU BB last nite. hey we lost, were 24-2 but we didn't lose to a better team, we lost because I don't think we were prepared for the game. K-suck played there game of the year when they had too. I feel sorry for the players the rest of the week in terms of practices. Thewhole team was lacking last nite, even the coaches but we still have time to make things right. Get some guys healed up and we can still get this done. It's just one loss and what hurts the most is because it was k-suck and not because they're the better team. It was an upset for sure but I bet will get the players' attention. ROCK CHALK

JHawkfan32 3 years, 2 months ago

what i dont get (and think is kinda funny) is that at the beginning of the year, kstate was supposed to beat us, yet the stupid prissy cat fans at the octagon of mild discomfort still storm the floor. :P baaaaad game but we didnt have robinson to pump us and selby wasnt at full health. twins, you have to control your temper more and same with elijah. suckish game. good luck nxt game. cant wait to c u in the fieldhouse saturday. beat the team prissy cats lost to twice. :)

ancient_hawk 3 years, 2 months ago

This is what I saw:

Self sniffed this one out early. Dos Morii and TT with gigantic heads. Alert: object lesson coming.

The peanut gallery is going on about his "horrible coaching job". Meh.

While I hate a loss, and especially a loss to the ...Cats, I sat and literally LOL at Self's response.

"You're sooooo damn good? You're #1 with a bullet? Well, go do it your way then. Go make asses of yourselves, and then we'll talk. And believe me, we WILL talk! Or rather, I'll talk while you burn out a couple of treadmills."

Coaching is about a lot more than X's and O's, and I admire his ability to mentally reload and consider even THIS game a teaching tool for the post-season. Personally, I wouldn't have been able to do it. I would have pulled a Frank Martin/BobbyKnight/Woody Hayes and punched somebody in the throat during a timeout.

My only concern was the whipped-dog look some of them had. I would rather they at least go down swinging. (not literally, of course)

LF 3 years, 2 months ago

It's not a good feeling today. It was an embarrassment, and it's never fun to get a beatdown from KState. We could still do some damage in March, because this is a talented team. I'm just afraid that without players like Collins or Chalmers, this team will bend too easily in the face of adversity. Kinda like last night

michaeldixson 3 years, 2 months ago

I am a big KU fan/graduate and I am just as disappointed as a lot of people are on this site. However, there were far too many issues that went wrong during the game to just single out, TT and the twins. KU has not been able to defend the 3 pt shot very well all year. That being said, they are all competitors, and human beings, so it would be nice not to take personal shots at certain members of the team.

Andrew Washington 3 years, 2 months ago

last night was an embarrassment....we deserved it though because the team needs to realize, once again, what will happen in march when they come into a game like this. Its unusual to see a team that needs so much motivation beyond a few wins. Ohio state played motivated pretty much through 24-0 and not too bad at a tough wisconsin. Pitt has also been playing better than we have. I just cant believe we could be beaten this bad in february. You know i dont just look forward to march madness to see my favorite team being the reason its called march madness. MOST of the bill self years we have been upset too early and i mean embarrassingly early. Hell we should have been to at least 3 final fours under self if not more and i think alot of people feel this.

Ty Mar 3 years, 2 months ago

We need this team to heal up first...who's NOT injured on this team? the twins? The practices must be brutal..they looked tired last night and with all those injuries.....a lot of players playing hurt.

mstrausz 3 years, 2 months ago

Now that I am done feeling sorry for myself I have come to a few conclusions.

1. Very few times has a number one seeded team won the National Title.
  2. Every college team has lost, someone with a loss or two is still going to win the title.
  3. We got to wake up today and still be KU fans, they are just now remembering that just because they beat us doesn't change the fact that they still suck.
  4. Maybe last night was the last time we have to ever see Jacob Pullens beard in a game setting.

Lets throw a monster beat down on CU and not forget the way that felt the rest of the year. Play that ending before every game here on out. Over and over let them see the goat herders storming the court.

Go Hawks

Kye Clark 3 years, 2 months ago

(cont.) Immediately after the game it was the first thing up on Sportscenter, and they led into it with the quote from Marcus about wanting to be #1 because he wanted to get everybody's best shot and he thought they could take it. In retrospect, has there ever been a more foolish comment? If they can't take the best shot from a middle of the road, one offensive weapon team like K-State, if they can't fight through a bad game to at least compete...Self clearly has his work cut out for him trying to get this team ready for the NCAA tournament. No more worrying about chasing down Texas for the league crown. That's gone. No more talk about chasing down the #1 ranking. That's gone. Just focus on getting better.

Regarding Markieff's intentional foul - it may be time for Self to sit him down for a game. I know in doing this he will also be getting punished for Marcus's sins, lumping all their thuggery together and labeling it "the Twins", but something has to happen. This was supposedly addressed this week! What is it going to take for these guys to understand? If one of these guys does this in a tournament game...all the hard work of their teammates, the coaching staff...gone. A whole season can be flushed down the drain - even if they don't get ejected - because they are that important to this team. And in the post-game discussion I saw many posters defending the play as incidental. After watching it another dozen times or so...no way. He wasn't rebounding, didn't have the ball, wasn't tied up with anybody - so what was his elbow doing up at shoulder level? He clearly had that guy in his field of vision - not like he had his back turned and didn't know he was coming. This team needs to understand that there is a difference between playing tough, and playing dirty. Between having some swagger and class, and acting like knuckleheads. Which...Elijah - what are you doing? Why are you jawing at and staring down a guy after a dunk when your team is down by...15 or whatever it was at that point? Ridiculous.

The other thing that I feel worth mentioning was that last night's broadcast reaffirmed my belief that Bob Knight is brutal. His "favorite play of the year", where Pullen shot faked and got Tyshawn in the air resulting in 3 free throws, while a smart play on Pullen's part was a totally bogus call. He had to cock out his hip while jumping sideways to initiate that contact, and not one mention of that from Knight. Then he started in with the ridiculous counting in spanish. Later in the game he said (paraphrasing a bit) "I think it's real important for Kansas to get a bucket here, just like it's real important for K-State to get a bucket on their next possession." Huh? No more further analysis or explanation? So you're saying in basketball it's important to score? Thanks. I had no idea.

Hoping these guys have a long, grueling week of practice and get their heads on right

Kye Clark 3 years, 2 months ago

What an absolute embarrassment. KU did nothing well last night (except for shoot free throws, in which they were adequate). No semblance of an offense, poor defense (all though I will say not quite as poor as the stats/score indicate. Many of Pullen's shots were closely guarded), out-manned on the glass, and didn't take care of the ball. Plenty of blame to go around, but certainly some parties are more responsible for this debacle than others. Tyshawn...I'm done holding out any hope for him. I was fooled once by his play in the early non-conference part of the season, then I was starting to get my hopes up just a bit after the Iowa State game. But he simply does not make his teammates better, and is not a threat to take over a game himself. We were all talked into this "we can live with a couple of his brain-dead plays because those will be out-weighed by his 'wow' plays and overall positive contributions"...anyone buying that now? I'm sure his supporters will say I'm being hard on him and that while yes he had a horrible game it was just one game, but the more I watch him play the more I think we simply "hide" his mistakes when things are going good, but when we're not playing well he will never be one to right the ship, but instead will hasten along its sinking. Hopefully coach Self finally realized this last night, and that is why he played Selby. Reading into his comments, both here and in his post-game radio interview with Chris Piper, this may be the case.

Regarding Selby, I've been saying since his injury that we need him back and into rhythm quickly, and have been debated by posters that we play better without him. My argument has been that every other one of our perimeter players is capable of performing at a high level and positively impacting the game, but only in a complimentary capacity. When the Twins are ineffective, contained, in foul trouble, etc we cannot lean on any of these guys. We cannot run offense through them. Nobody wanted to see it because everyone was playing so great and they couldn't fathom the Twins being taken out of their game. Reality hit hard last night. When we can't run offense though the Twins we have no clear second plan of attack. I don't know that Selby will progress enough in the amount of time we have left to be the guy that can carry us through some stretches, but he has the skill set to do so. Early in the game I thought he was pretty invisible out there, but was simply glad he was out there. He needs to know he can play through that pain. In the second half I saw some glimpses of him being aggressive, taking the ball to the hoop and whatnot, so I am encouraged a bit.

phogthedog 3 years, 2 months ago

Seriously folks, we are 24-2! Don't you suppose Duke, Pitt, and other teams are embarrassed when they lose on national TV? Don't jump off any tall buildings because of this loss. At this point in the season HCBS should not have to "motivate" his players to be prepared. Young adults (men or women) don't always show the level of responsibility that older adults expect of them. In fact, negative experiences such as last night often are the best teachers. All of that being said, Tyrel Reed was a stud and should be commended by everyone for being prepared to play and playing to the level of his ability.

John Sheehan 3 years, 2 months ago

Negative - Opposing teams have shot over 50% only 4 times in last 136 games...2 of them in last 3 games (MU last Monday and KSU last night). Our D is suspect.

Negative - We haven't beat an Elite 8 or maybe even Sweet 16 caliber team. I'm glad we're scheduling tougher early season games in coming years.

Superstition - Only other time we lost in Bramlage was '08...we know how that ended.

Positive - This KU team might be the most athletic we've had under Self.

Negative - This KU team might be the least disciplined team we've had under Self.

Positive - Life (in this case KU BB) is 10% what happens and 90% how you react...these guys have been humbled and now have an opportunity to react.

Ethan Berger 3 years, 2 months ago

Crazy how people forget the past 5 games because of a loss. Glad most of ya'll aren't players or coaches on the team. Losing happenes. It sucks yes but we have shown we can be the best. People need to back Ty, he had a great past 5 games. Everyone played bad yesterday. Its a new day.

Hope_Inside 3 years, 2 months ago

I actually personally know Tyrel and he told me that he did say M.O. and not ammo. Although the two do sound alike.

bradynsdad 3 years, 2 months ago

You know I hate losing but sometimes it happens. The manner in which you lose can say more about your character than when you win. I checked the emaw message boards and they are posting several ku players phone numbers on there. To me regardless of how much you like or dislike someone some things are just over the line. It's personal when we lose but how personal is it to fans? Were not actually playing so why throw tantrums? It doesn't take a genius to figure out why we lost last night. We were awful and our attitudes were horrible, but I have always gelt the diffence between ku fans and other fans is we get pissed about losing but always support our team. As bad as we were last night I think it was a great wake up call. Humility does wonders for people. I had several jerks half of whom aren't even k state fans giving it to me left and right today, but in the end it's just cuz their happy to finally see us lose and that says alot. I was pissed at Texas tech a few years ago but look at their program and look at ours. We will always be on top and I am grateful for that. If we only suffered our second loss of the season so be it. Stay positive and go get a national title. Rock chalk jayhawk!!!

jebloom22 3 years, 2 months ago

The question I'm still wondering about is where that chip came from that T Taylor's been carrying around with him for the last few years... He is so careless that I almost can't even bear to watch him. Last night's loss hasn't changed my opinion of TT at all, by the way. He seems to get called more often (I have no stats to back this up) for travels and out of bounds, and he struggles much too frequently trying to finish a basket. IMHO, he should have transferred out. It's never seemed like his confidence actually stems from any proven ability.

Bill Shaw 3 years, 2 months ago

Opposing teams strategy: Foul the twins rather than let them make a field goal. One point is better than 2.

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 2 months ago

Clunker Brady is a 5 th year senior, where is the 5 year leadership????? Pullen out played Choke Brady in every way possible, Brady couldn't play high school ball. That my friends is the trouble with this team, Self and Morningstar love affair will and has cost KU mercilessly. I said KU is overrated, anyone disagree with me now? What a sad affair, can't play football or basketball. Was that a Kansas ST. KU football score???? Now maybe Self knows what a true guard is, Mr. Pullen.

Bill Shaw 3 years, 2 months ago

Reminds me of the games prior to our home loss to Texas. Did we just have a 4 game peak?

Justin Lindsley 3 years, 2 months ago

That was pathetic!! when are we going to learn that we have to play every night. I think it was some good medicine. when the going got tough all I saw was a bunch of little school girls crying to their mommy. NUT UP!! play harder. so the shots weren't falling? PLEASE someone get a rebound. Of course, it doesn't help that State played the best game of their year. I was very disapointed in that game. I know EJ made some mistakes, but I'm starting to lean toward him to get more minutes from TT. TT is tanking! Selby needs to step up and play point. That might be the only chance we have to go deep in the tourney.

cajayfan 3 years, 2 months ago

Thumbs up to Jacob Pullen, he played with class. Thumbs down to our coach who stopped coaching at the end to make a point. He made a point with me, now I know why half of our players have attitude problems. I'm happy the classier team on this night won.

HawkBBall 3 years, 2 months ago

Aside from the embarassing beat-down, this game clearly showed five players with a lack of mental toughness. Kieff plays dirty and whines when he gets caught. Zero rebounds shows lack of desire. Marcus won't admit to doing anything wrong, and whines on the court when he is the subject of the whistle. He doesn't take criticism and talks back to the coaches. Although the twins are juniors, they clearly lack maturity. Neither could stop KSU's bigs.

Elijah can play with intensity, but plays with no plan. His technical shows his immaturity.

Tyshawn plays like he is out for a Sunday stroll. In the first half of the ISU game he played with intensity, as did the rest of the team. In Manhattan he was back to his old ways of waltzing through the plays and playing matador on defense. I don't think he is capable of sustaining a significant degree of concentration for any length of time, let alone 20 minutes worth.

Josh played like he didn't care; he just showed up.

selfesteem 3 years, 2 months ago

What an awful game for KU! However this team has had an excelllent season thus far in many ways. Defensively though I hope we can step it up as we get close to the Big Dance. We seemed unprepared for the cutting that their players were doing. Pullen just had a great night in which we neither stopped the drive nor the 3pt attempts. Our help defense seemed lost especially when they set screens, picks and rolss, cuts to the hole etc. Offensively we couldn't get to the paint in position, had few open looks at 3's, and missed many layup attemtps. It was a combination of all things going wrong, offense, defense, and coaching.

kennethst 3 years, 2 months ago

Clearly, Kansas cannot compete in the NCAA tournement with our current point guards. This was not just an isloated bad game for TT and Johnson.....this is typical. Selby is not a factor.....whether due to injury or other.....he is no longer a factor.

This is the reason for the GASP and EXHALE you are hearing amoung KU fans.....not just a dismal, emabarrassing loss......a mortal wound to the season.

PS-Tyshawn Taylor? Could he have played worse? I honestly think you have to work at playing as badly as he did. Wow.

Michael Luby 3 years, 2 months ago

HOw tall is Jueneman anyway? I dont even know... is he a true big? anyways, KU got their A$$e$ handed to them last night. There is no other way around it. This team looks to go 13 - 3 in conference play, and probly # 2 or even 3 in the conference behind Texas. Prior comments above in reference to a Team only meeting and the Twins' Mom having a come to jesus with them are mandatory at this point. As well as HCBS using the tape from that horrid game as a huge teaching moment and motivator to respond like men to adversity from here on out or face going home like they did last year, which I know they dont want to do

GoodwinK 3 years, 2 months ago

the panic on here is sad...we are 24-2 with injury issues that should be resolved by tourney time. not being #1 is not a big deal. K-state won their national championship game and saved their NIT birth. The sign of a bad program is fans rushing the court. The sun came up today, as it will tomorrow and we will be set to make a run in the tourney

Scott Smetana 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm OK with the loss. I'm OK with the twins playing timid in foul trouble without TRob backing them up. I'm OK with EJ getting too emotional.
I'm OK with KSU saving face and hopefully making a decent NCAA run. I'm OK with not winning the Big 12 reg season, who really cares.

I'm NOT OK with our point guard play. I don't see a fix.
I'm NOT OK with ever seeing Withey seeing the court. I'd rather see Juneman.

REHawk 3 years, 2 months ago

The One and Done recruiting business could be turning into a nightmare for our coaching staff. Not certain just what the answer to it might best be. In a perfect world, it might be best for Div. I coaches to avoid those kids like the plague; yet, it does appear to be working occasionally in some team settings. For instance, without Kevin Durant Texas and the Big 12 would have missed lotsa stellar moments. However, overall, NBA entry rulings are driving the donkeycart. Selby's 9 game suspension and current injury situation has really hampered the Jayhawks as Bill Self has attempted to establish a smooth functioning starting lineup. If jaybate's thesis rings true, that honeymoon blowup could be adding tension to a team already percolating with other serious attention seeking ingredients, i.e. attitude adjustments and poor decision making by the guard who brings the ball up the court. At this stage of the season, there appears to be no reliable alternative to the mercurial performances of our point guard. Our backup point guard seems inclined to follow in the footsteps of the fellow he occasionally replaces. How a team which had manned up and performed so well since the funeral trip to D.C. could have collapsed so disgustingly last night is simply bewildering. So little time remains to right this ship. I would like to think it will be stabilized....

David Brown 3 years, 2 months ago

Watching only Taylor & Pullen in isolation as the game played around them was revealing. Taylor seems to have little awareness of what is going on around him and gets easily caught up in traffic/screens. Self talks of his defensive potential but I'm not sure he has the mental makeup to accomplish this; meaning the focus and the will. Add to that his carelessness while handling the ball leading to, well, stupid turnovers. What alternative do we have? Guess we gotta stick with him and anticipate the curve going upwards!

Sally Presson 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm glad on big wins KU doesn't rush the court. It's a stupid thing to do. Oh, my am I getting all the ignorant remarks by Cats' fans. it's to be expected and they played a great game and we didn't. Hey, we didn't want that #1 spot anyway, just hope we don't drop down past 4. EJ needs more time to GROW UP. And Selby sure isn't a OAD, he looked lost last night, frail. Come on Josh, buck up, if you're down and out now you sure aren't ready for the big boys in the NBA, stay with us Josh and in a couple of years, Bill will have you ready to go and you'll make your millions. Come on twins, we NEED you to show up. I will say this, the refs are keeping a close eye on you two and will call alot of ticky tack fouls, it's hard to get around, but you guys can do it, I know you can. It's February 15th, the games behind us and lets move on to the big game in March. Set your sites for Houston and the final game. We're good enough to get there, so lets do it!!!

COJHawk 3 years, 2 months ago

couple thoughts...

--it's pretty obvious that selby isn't right. just sit him down until he is. if we have to watch brady go one-on-one to end a half while selby stands in the corner and not the other way around, just sit him. the big 12 title is gone...sit him down and get him right

--if i were playing KU, i would cheap shot marcus and markieff early. they just can't control themselves. if KU is playing in a 2 seed v 7 seed game or something like that come tourney time, the opposing coach would be foolish to not go after those guys to bait them. they clearly can't help but take the bait

--if we were all honest with ourselves, KU was ranked #1 more for their record and not for who they are. i think they have a chance to win in march and so do 10 other teams. i think without a true post player, questions marks at PG and back-up PG, and some injuries, KU probably isn't the best team in the country right now. that doesn't mean that they shouldn't have been ranked #1. the rankings look at season record. that said, i think with our own eyes, if we weren't looking thru KU-tinted lenses, we could see that they weren't the best team in the country even before last night. last night just proved it

i enjoy the banter. keep it comin...

Benjamin Jones 3 years, 2 months ago

Tyrel Reed: "We turned it over or took a bad shot. That was our ammo." Huh? Makes no sense. Sure he didn't say "That was our M.O."? (modus operandi)

steamboat 3 years, 2 months ago

The whiners are out in full force. My gosh people it's only one game. How many teams would love to be 24 and 2?? And in the top 5? Probably over 300. I've seen other top 10 teams get destroyed this year on the road e.g. Duke U-Conn Syracuse Pitt Misery even K-Suck so did I like this game? Hell no but I saw this coming. Bill did a poor job of preparing these guys but give K-suck credit they took advantage of the situation. This teams will be better from the loss and we probably won't win league but should get a 2-3 seed in the tourney!!! How far we go depends on much we learned from last nite. We can't beat teams by just what the front of our jerseys read. I would think by mid February those issues would be resolved

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 2 months ago

HawkinMac, You are very clever and you described it the way it happened. My hat is off to you. Self, said a beat down, he should have said merciless slaughter. Was this a football game or a basketball game. K-ST. owns Kansas. Pullen, a 4 year -senior---38 points and how many assists, Morningstar a 5th -senior---6 points. That shows Brady is a drag and a plain dud to the KU team. Kansas ST. players out played Brady. Its time Self and Morningstar break up the love affair. Self has hurt this team to the point of being pathetic with the Self-Morningstar love affair and not putting in the correct players that help this team to create a chemistry, with the play of Morningstar and now its has raised its head again. I root for KU but, I have to be truthfull and I have said that KU is overrated from the start of the year. They shouldn't even be in the top 10, maybe-16. I maybe, see another National Coach Of The Year for a great coach, Frank Martin. Self was completely out coached in every way. Self---Pitful, plain, Pitful. Congratulations to a great coach and great team ,KANSAS STATE, you did it again, making the state proud.

FreddyinLA 3 years, 2 months ago

Hard to believe but a 5’9” Abe Lincoln beat us last night. Take away Abe and that team couldn’t beat Emporia State. I guess mixing up your defense this year is rotating between TT, EJ, and Brady guarding Honest Abe. The kid from BYU will score 50 against us if we play them in the tourney with that defensive philosophy.

HCBS use to run a box & 1 or triangle & 2 to stop one or two guys who are hot. Or how about running another guy at Abe when he gets the ball?

Frustrating.

Glen Darge 3 years, 2 months ago

Disgusting. Teams just do not defeat KU like this. Grow up "KIDS" forget about your girl friends and get a life without them! I would not blame Coach Self if he departed KU and went on to a college interested in playing the game like adults for the win! I did shut the game off early with about fifteen minutes left in playing time

chaggs 3 years, 2 months ago

Hopefully history repeats itself. The last time KSU stormed the court after beating us in Big12 play, We stormed the court in April!

HCBS will use this as a reference point to not look beyond our opponent. Will translate well to the tournament!

Specifically regarding the game...there is no blueprint to beat KU other than tell your best player to have a career night and have KU forget to pass.

FOE & RCJH

chaggs 3 years, 2 months ago

FOE & RCJH

mojayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

For the first time maybe ever, I was embarrassed last night. Watching HCBS demeanor on the side line when the game was out of reach, I believe he was also.

One of the things I have always been proud of with Kansas' teams has been their "non reactions" to fouls and bad calls. Not so with this team which I love. It is their one negative for a very fun and positive team to watch. To top it off last night, there were at least 3 occasions where it appeared our guys were yelling at each other or mouthing HCBS. I can take the loss better than I can take losing composure.

As a former small time baseball coach, one thing I always taught our kids when they struck out. "Never let the pitcher know it bothers you. Hustle back to the dugout without letting him know. If he sees it bothers you, he just beat you."

The best thing about this team sometimes becomes its worst enemy. Playing with unbelievable passion. It has gotten us to where we are, but unfortunately last night it got us where we were.

This team will bounce back. It will bounce back because of HCBS, and because of unbelievable leadership, stability, and steady play and leadership from Tyrel and Brady. These seasoned Seniors keep their cool game in and game out. The rest of the guys need to learn a lesson from them.

jebloom22 3 years, 2 months ago

I saw that too. He just smiled and let them lose. It looked like an "I told you so" moment, but who knows what was really going on. Definitely disappointed in the performance. I won't call anyone out, but this team needs to learn how to fight back from real adversity. This is too much of a mental game for our current roster.

jhwkfan162515 3 years, 2 months ago

Apart from the second-half meltdown against Texas, this was Self's worst coaching job of the season. He did not have the team ready to play, and he did not make any adjustments in the gameplan (i.e., switching to a 3-2 zone when man-to-man wasn't working). Other coaches admit it when they don't have their team prepared, why doesn't Self man up and do likewise?

Steve Brown 3 years, 2 months ago

Jayhawk Nation:

Someday we may have to play a #1 team on our beloved AFH home court, and that day may never come, yet if it does and we take care of business, you will remember this event and I have one request, we never rush the court, take it in stride, we don't rush the court as if you rush the court it means you came here tonight hoping for this yet expecting a different result.

the godfather.

jrbill67 3 years, 2 months ago

Self is the best coach in the country and he has an extremely talented group. This team needs a leader & maturity. It starts with Taylor but his concentration span is less than 3 seconds. He dribbles into trouble, passes poorly, and doesn't play defense; he is not a point guard & Johnson isn't ready yet. The Twins play well when they're winning but can't play from behind without trouble; the dumb fouls and the mouths have to stop. Selby & Johnson aren't ready. The only players giving it their all and using their heads are Robinson, Morningstar, Little & Reed. If they don't get help from the 3 stars, no championships this year. Big 12 already lost; tournament 50/50. NCAA; look for an early exit without leadership & maturity. Self's been talking about it all year; they just don't get it.

tahawk81 3 years, 2 months ago

Im still a firm believer in we will not make a final 4 if Selby is not a big part of this team. Hubert Davis touched on it at halftime and I couldn't agree more. Morningstar and Reed are good players but I dont want to count on them against elite competition to carry the load. And I think Self knows this. I like alot of what Jaybate mentions above but I think he goes a little to far with the Self/Selby conspiracy. Self said after the game he didn't plan on playing him until he had no one else to sub in. And I think playing him down the stretch was just to get him some game reps to try to get some flow back.

We will regroup after this and finish out the season strong. I am not worried about that. But I dont think we will be playing in Houston without more help from the young star.

tahawk81 3 years, 2 months ago

Ken Sedgwick 3 years, 2 months ago

That was a JEAN-U-WHINE asswhoopin. The K-State players were great. The K-State fans sucked.

tis4tim 3 years, 2 months ago

KU played so poorly last night. I hope the pollsters are ashamed of themselves. :)

Really, though, fine coaching job by Frank Martin. Getting some of his players to quit on the team and suckering us into thinking they were a bunch of basket cases was a shrewd move and it worked wonderfully.

Thank you to Reed for showing up and playing his heart out.

TT was awful.

The twins reputations as forearm shiver specialists seem to be no longer contained to them. KU as a team is suffering their stupidity in the fouls department.

EJ earned himself long-term doghouse status. His mouthing off "under his breath" about coach Self when he exited the floor after he threw the ball away tells me he is beyond frustrated with his playing time. The smack-talking was further proof. I have a sinking feeling about the possibility of a transfer.

Withey is lost.

Little is shoot first ask questions later.

Almost no Selby or Releford. Seems like they were just in to provide a few extra fouls and protect some other guys in that regard.

The regular season title is now Texas' to lose.

Disappointing, and we really missed Robinson's presence, but we'll bounce back. We simply have to get healthy as a team, otherwise I don't see us doing much damage in March.

Keith Hummel 3 years, 2 months ago

As we all know, come tournament time KU will get everybody's best shot. At some point the Jayhawks will inevitably face adversity similar to what they faced last night. The truly great teams know how to handle that adversity. They never give up, and they certainly never give up on each other. Unfortunately, this team did both last night. I'm skeptical about whether that core problem can be corrected, but hopefully HCBS will use this as a "teachable moment". Still, I have this sinking feeling we are going to lose in the first round this year to some school that starts with a "B".

ku11 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm sure KSU is making a new t-shirt for this win. I've seen one that says "2 out of 3 isn't bad" for when they beat Nebraska at home a couple of times in football. I can't stand KSU fans!!!

ku11 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm sure KSU is making a new t-shirt for this win. I've seen one that "2 out of 3 isn't bad" for when they beat Nebraska at home a couple of times in football. I can't stand KSU fans!!!

GeoHawk15 3 years, 2 months ago

After Coach Self called his last TO with 10 minutes left, it seemed to me that he backed off coaching the team. It was almost like he was willing to concede the game to teach the guys a lesson. Sink or swim, if you will, and boy did they sink. Did anyone else get that vibe?

HawkInMac 3 years, 2 months ago

February 14, 1929, the night Al Capone's Italian South Side Chicago gang pinned seven members of Bugs Malone's Irish North Side gang against a dark wall and with calm, steady precision mercilessly slaughtered Bugsy's best.  While the execution squad was several in number surely one stood out, taking glee in revenging the machine gunning Capone's headquarters had suffered earlier.  The St. Valentine's Day massacre by Tommy guns was quick, bloody, complete while its mastermind Capone vacationed in Florida.

February 14, 2011, Frankie Martin's West Side gang revenged its humiliation of only two weeks earlier by Billy Self's East Side Philly gang.  The slaughter was absolute, remorseless and thorough as Jacob "The Man" Pullen buried 38 of his gang's 86 shots in the hapless victims.  As the smoke cleared the bowels of Bramlage Billy's bloody and beaten survivors boarded the ambulance to Allen Field Hospital.  Only time will tell whether this East Side gang will rise from abject destruction or feed upon themselves like Sharks in frenzy of bloodied waters.

The Jayhawk Nation, though slumped over its rail naked as a Jay Bird, tarred, feathered, humiliated and completely plucked, will never forget this Valentine's massacre.  Beware of the Phog;  beware of vengeance.

NH_JHawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Now that was some awful basketball last night. I cant remember a game where it seemed like the entire team's heads were not into it. TT and Mk leading the way. I find it troubling, especially after reading about the twins' attitudes just last week, that Kieff would throw a nasty elbow like that. Lucky he wasn't ejected. Not sure I agreed with the T on EJ though.

Two things I found humorous: Does anyone else notice that K-State fans boo every single play/call against them? My surround speakers got quite a work out from them booing everything. Laughable. Also, if you ever need any proof that KU is the single biggest game of KSU's entire season (every year), just ask the students who stormed the court.

doolindalton 3 years, 2 months ago

I don't suppose even this horrendous defeat will do anything to inspire the coaching staff to bring about a change in the god-awful way KU shoots freethrows. No, it's not the reason the Jayhawks were dominated on both ends by a mediocre (at best) team, but a journey of million miles begins with the first step. Raising our last in the B12 free throw percentage could very well save more important games down the stretch.

jayhawksbiggestfan 3 years, 2 months ago

“You look at it from a positive standpoint, we held them to 46 points if Jacob didn’t play. That’s a good thing,” Self cracked. Now that was funny sheet. I don't care what you say.

jayhawksbiggestfan 3 years, 2 months ago

Everyone forgets that Tyrel Reed is also playing with a bone bruise on his foot. I know what that feels like because I played girls high school basketball and i could not even play for 3 weeks and even then my heel was still a bit painful. That said, Our bigs did not do much to help. Kudos to fear the beard. Now that was ......well superman would have given up 20 on him last night. I have never seen a player get torched more than Morningstar and Taylor. I suspect they are still at KU but in the burn unit in KU Med Center this morning.. T-Rob was very much needed. Selby , I can understand. I am sure we will be a better team after that bully beat down we took. We still have only lost 2 games so far this year. I refuse to believe we will go down easy in the March Madness. tourney. Just time to reload . Get healthy all. God bless. I still love all my Jayhawks.

juke4jay 3 years, 2 months ago

OMG! It was a Valentines Day Massacre (revisitied). Ouch, I have a lot of crow to eat now with my KSU friends at work and back home..... is crow best served warm or cold, and will ketchup help?

LAJayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

For the first time I can remember, I didn't watch the last few minutes of a KU game. I turned it off with about 2:38 on the clock. I've watched us play to the final whistle during many a blow out in the past, but I just couldn't do it this time. It was an absolute mess, and we really weren't in it the entire game. I felt like our Juniors had no interest in this game, and I just couldn't give my interest in the end. So I shut it off and cleaned my house.

That was simply a bad game. A bad, bad, heaping pile of donkey feces type game.

A Heaping pile.

Heaping.

And now it's over.

I still feel like punching a kitten, but that will go away soon.

That crap factory of a competition has ended. It's over. Done. It now only exists in the ghost film that is the human memory.

Tomorrow is a new day, and I feel like moving forward.

Mrs. Landingham, what's next?

jayhawker_97 3 years, 2 months ago

jaybate, just out of curiousity.. did you get paid by kusports.com to post?

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

One wonders how this clash of wills will play out in coming games. Selby is almost sure to be drafted on potential alone, if he does not acquire an injury that GMs would perceive as making his future health a risk. Self is in the position of needing to push him to play ASAP, something that might lead Selby to the very kind of ankle injury that might make NBA GM's uneasy after this season. Selby is in the position of being able to be drafted on potential, if he avoids playing too soon on the present injury and turning it into a chronic one.

Bill Self and Josh Selby, a coach and player who seemed so enamored with each other only a few weeks ago, now seem like the honey moon is over. Here's to hoping they find their way to a more amicable relationship soon. They need each other pulling together again. And we need both of them pulling together again.

~This was probably just one of those awful games good teams have in mid to late February that say that helps good teams get over being too full of themselves, as Knight put it afterwords, and helps them refocus on the business at hand.

~But this team less a healthy TRob and Selby may be in for another beat down, unless the Twins man-up to the intimidation they are about to face.

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

Selby played tonight in the KSU debacle, but not until the game was pretty far gone. He could do very little and appeared to pass the ball to avoid having to shake and bake with it himself. The once great Selby was reduced to trying to keep the ball from sticking, except for six times when he tried to go on his ankle and was really ineffective. He looked every bit as injured out there tonight against KSU as Mario Little did his first season at KU, when Self appeared to play Little into a season long injury.

But the coup d'gras was Self leaving Selby on the floor down the stretch, when the game was lost and the second string was in the game. This appeared to be Self rubbing Selby's nose in it. This appeared to be Self saying you're going to play on it whether you like it or not and you're going to play on it and risk injuring it permanently when the game is already lost. This appeared to be Self saying that you don't mean diddledy squat to me super star, unless you are willing to play hurt, or not.

Before Selby got in the game, and during the game, I could not help but notice that Josh Selby apeared to have lost his happy, ebullient expression that has so characterized him until recently. The love and trust of Self and the sense of indebtedness to Self, appeared to be broken. Josh appeared to have been questioning, whether he ought to have been even "maybe" for playing against KSU.

Selby went out and played as Coach Self demanded. And Selby stayed on the floor pointlessly risking longer lasting injury playing mop up minutes in a lost game. But Selby did not look enthusiastic about doing it. And Self did not look enthusiastic about Selby doing it. And in the end what we appeared to witness was Self, frustrated and humiliated in a lop sided loss, trying to win a war of wills with his 5-star OAD.

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

~Withey did a few good things tonight and, at least, managed to stay on the floor 11 minutes, but he looked generally bad doing them. He grabbed 3 glassvacs in 11 minutes, which in comparison to Kieff's 0 in 20 minutes made Withey seem like a rebounding machine. But 2 TOs, 2 PFs, and nooooo blocks, mean he really wasn't doing much net positive in his time in the game.

~Selby, who thought he was a tough customer, and who seemed like one, has apparently committed the unpardonable Self-sin of not playing hurt, when Self wanted him to the last few games. There is a quid pro quo in Self World. When you become one of his corner stone players, especially an impact guy, you play no matter what, if he asks you to play.

Selby's foot probably really was painful, and it probably really did render him ineffective, and his stress reaction might well have turned into a stress fracture, or worse, had he played earlier, but, in Self World, that sort of thing does not excuse a guy from going out on the floor and playing till he goes down, when the team needs him for his role. So Selby committed the sin of sins. He didn't man-up, when Self asked him to do so.

Selby had probably never been expected to play on an injury that could really put his career at risk before. High school super stars play when they want and sit when they hurt. Selby was probably thinking that if he injured it much worse he could wind up with a long term physical problem that would threaten his draft value. Self appeared to have been thinking I stuck by you when it was uncertain you would ever play, and now you are taking a powder on me and my team, when we need you, even if you are gimpy.

I attended the KU-ISU game and noticed that Selby was told to stand out on the court during warm-ups even though he was doing nothing. I have seen coaches do this to players as a means of shaming them into playing hurt, when a player says his injury is too painful to play on.

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

~Reed and Morningstar both played pretty well. Their failings were that they both let KU keep them almost entirely off the boards.

~Despite Brady shooting 50% on four trey attempts, the team shot a horrid 20 percent from trey; that is one point worse than last year's UNI debacle.

~TT, Reed and Morningstart each took some time guarding Pullen and the guy was unconscious. Morningstar had better luck against Pullen in the second half, but still Pullen got 15 second half points.

~Pullen shot 17FGAs and seemed to get to the line every time he touched the ball for stretches. He was quicker than everyone KU put on him. KU fouled him hard several times, but he was deadly at the line. And because KU could not rebound, all his driving kept the Twins on their heels on defense the entire game.

~Elijah came in and was, despite only one TO and hitting a really nice trey in 7 minutes, almost completely out of control and out of the flow of the game. Worst of all he made two decisive mistakes. The first was a cross court throw away at a time, when KU seemed to be making a move. Then he almost single handedly welded KU's coffin with the idiotic technical on his own stuff.

The more Elijah plays the more it is strikingly apparent why he does not play more. He has been slumping and he is now entering the kind of depths Morningstar was in a month ago. The difference, however, between Morningstar's and EJ's slumps is this: Brady had proven for two previous season that he got the D1 game and Self Ball. EJ doesn't give the impression that he gets the D1 game, or Self Ball, not yet. This is the second game in a row where he has thrown the ball across the floor to no one. Improvement for EJ tonight was not throwing it across court into Self's hands. This was a big setback for his game this year. Despite struggling a bit the last few games, he had not actually gotten worse until tonight. If Self could ever get Selby back at full speed, EJ might disappear for the rest of the year. Morningstar could easily do more with the minutes at the point that EJ is given that EJ does. Still, Self , because of how nicked up the team is, has little choice but to keep playing EJ small chunks of minutes, as he did Morningstar, at the trough of his slump, to try to see if he can start a climb out of the slump, as Brady did.

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

The Twins have to learn how to man-up, when they don't have big bad TRob backing them up and kicking sand in the faces of the bullies. They have to learn, because they are now it. No more forearm smashes to the face of an unsuspecting opponent and going to the bench to avoid the resulting fury. They are going to have to play rough and suffer the consequences, too. They are about to learn the difference between having all the advantages in the paint and having to fight to survive. The next few teams will be putting them on the floor, because this game tape will show they can be intimidated without TRob.

~Tyshawn had one of his off games, a real stinker, then found his team mates could not compensate, then tried to play his way out of his off game and lost his composure entirely for extended stretches. This is how it goes occasionally, when one trains a 2 guard to play PG on the job. The one thing TT must absolutely learn from this game is that when things are going poorly on offense, a team leader must not panic and must be able to compartmentalize his frustrations and continue to play good defense, no matter how rough it gets. Tyshawn will bounce back though.

~Frank Martin was the first coach to deny KU its wing point game; this was why Tyshawn had 6 TOs. Self took what Martin gave KU, which was the PG Taylor, as initiator. But TT could not measure up on this night.

~Little played hard and got his most minutes (27) this season, and Mario responded with just 1 TO and with the only semblance of rebounding presence KU had. But his shot was way off, and about half his 9 shots were poor shot choices. His defense also alternated between very good and aggressive, and confused. Little has to get more consistent on defense, or KU cannot afford him, hot hand, or not. He can probably do this, but it is now or never time.

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

"Kieff a No Show, Marcus and Tyshawn Poor, Little Inefficient, EJ Still Doesn't Get It, and Perhaps the End of the Self-Selby Love Affair"

~The team played poorly on a career night by Pullen, but it was impotent team rebounding (neither bigs nor perimeter players could get on the glass), an off night by Marcus and Tyshawn, and Kieff pulling a complete disappear-o on a night KU did not have TRob that decisively and repeatedly killed KU's chances at sustaining a come back.

~Marcus and Kieff, who are the anchors of this team, have to look at each other in the mirror tonight and know they let their team mates and themselves down. Their inability to offend was not even the crucial problem. Marcus played poorly and Kieff didn't really even try. Perhaps Kieff was injured, or sick. Both got humiliated on the glass.

Rebounds in 20 Plus Minutes Kieff 0 Cus 3

The Twins clearly came out trying to avoid fouling and then proceeded to get roughed up and, lacking TRob to come in and take the roughness back to KSU, the Twins literally became intimidated.

This is worrisome. It is one thing to have an off game and the Twins that have played so well so long were due for one. What worries is that they got intimidated, when they did not have TRob to come in and back them up, when things got rough.

Things are going to get rough from now on, as XTReme Muscle and XTReme Cheap Shotting begin in earnest down the stretch.

And TRob is likely never to be the big bad one on the blocks any more this season, even when he comes back. When TRob returns, he is apt to be a horizontal player just like Kaun became during the seasons of his knee injuries.

Larry Smith 3 years, 2 months ago

Well, it is time for the trolls and the “I only post after a loss” geniuses to get started. Have a great day, the sky is falling.