Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Chancellor will use national search to find new athletic director

Videos

Lew Perkins retires

video thumbnail

KU's athletic director retired abruptly Tuesday afternoon. Perkins was involved in many changes in the department, good and bad.

Hiring an athletics director will involve a nationwide search.

Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little has been in contact with stakeholders, alumni and donors since Lew Perkins announced in June that he would retire next year.

The chancellor said in a statement that by the end of this week she plans to form a search committee of no more than five or six people. “Our goal is to name a new athletics director by the middle to latter part of the spring semester, if not sooner,” Gray-Little said.

The chancellor said Sean Lester, who was named interim athletics director, will not be a candidate for the job.

Comments

boknowssports 3 years, 7 months ago

guess Auburn was a little smarter than us......

boknowssports 3 years, 7 months ago

How did KU decide on Gill? He goes 20-30 at Buffalo of the Mac East or whatever and that gives him a shot in the big 12???? something is fishy with his hiring.

Kyle Cornish 3 years, 7 months ago

Yeah gardenjay, you are right. I want to be a low-level D1 school where all the kids stay 4, but none ever have the talent to go pro. Then I will be proud of them for staying for ME. I am a fan and I deserve praise and glory and you (the player) are the one to give it to me. When you win, I say we. When you lose, I say you. I work so hard to criticize the players when they are not playing well, but bask in the glory of wins like I am the one who worked hard. I did work hard cheering so hard from my mom's basement while typing on phog.net. It's so hard. I went to KU and/or am a fan, therefore my opinion counts and I should be be able to voice it. Ok, sarcasm over, you are a moron.

gardenjay 3 years, 7 months ago

How horrible Gray-Little is? That must be a criticism of the board she is choosing to select the next AD, a far-flung criticism, so it sounds like you have a previous beef of another kind.

Gray-Little is looking like the Chancellor KU has been needing for a long time. She uses power wisely. She is academically oriented like a Chancellor should be, and she is pulling her weight at the right time to get the AD straightened out. She seems to have some pride in KU. What a friggin breath of fresh air.

Self can leave if he wants to. I sure wish he would recruit more players that don't do drugs and stay for a 4-year degree, but hey, maybe that's all that's out there now. :(

Matt Kenton 3 years, 7 months ago

Committee? All you need is Drue Jennings.

KU08 3 years, 7 months ago

Gee, I thought KU would conduct a local search or at most a regional search for a new AD.

KSA_21_3503 3 years, 7 months ago

Now we will get to see how horrible of a chancellor Gray-Little really is.

Bill Self will be gone in two years. Mark my words.

TexasJayhawk78 3 years, 7 months ago

Geeee, mulaza. Ya' think? Ticket scam. Wow. you are right on top of things. Where did they all come from and didn't they all work together prior to coming to KU?

And another thing mulaza. Oh, yea. If you want seats, wait in line or build your own. Don't mess with my grandma!

I think there is a guy in Florida that can fill the new job opening...MM

mulaza 3 years, 7 months ago

on the fence about lp. i actually like what he did about the pts system and complain as those do, it had to be done for the simple fact that every other school was doing it. and i'm sorry if a 90 year old grandmother of 12 lost her seats to a head of a major business that donates tons of money to help build the facilities that we needed but TfreakingS. he saw oppertunities to create capital (hill tents, suites, etc and as much as i hate it the mu game at arrowhead) where others didn't and it worked. i think sometimes we forget that ku is a big money school with med, law, bs, eng, j, all of which put out some big money earners that have the income to take part in his ideas.

on the other hand. something shaddy is going on that everyone is being kept in the dark. maybe he played a role in this ticket thing. maybe there are other ethics issues. i think it's because he hired turner (but that's just me)

Janet Scott 3 years, 7 months ago

Lew is gone because the high end Williams Fund donors will no longer tolerate the national embarrassment that the KU Athletic Department has become. I'm sure these folks have made their voices loud and clear to Bern Gray-Little. Accomplished and successful people who are philanthropy-driven to the level of near millions in giving will never accept that their giving be associated with benefactors who exhibit near constant ethics lapses and shocking behavioral shortcomings - and regrettably that is just how the KU Athletics Department can be defined over the past year.