Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Chancellor will use national search to find new athletic director

Videos

Lew Perkins retires

video thumbnail

KU's athletic director retired abruptly Tuesday afternoon. Perkins was involved in many changes in the department, good and bad.

Hiring an athletics director will involve a nationwide search.

Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little has been in contact with stakeholders, alumni and donors since Lew Perkins announced in June that he would retire next year.

The chancellor said in a statement that by the end of this week she plans to form a search committee of no more than five or six people. “Our goal is to name a new athletics director by the middle to latter part of the spring semester, if not sooner,” Gray-Little said.

The chancellor said Sean Lester, who was named interim athletics director, will not be a candidate for the job.

Comments

ibleedku 3 years, 10 months ago

awesome....look below...NICE...

TexasJayhawk78 3 years, 10 months ago

Geeee, mulaza. Ya' think? Ticket scam. Wow. you are right on top of things. Where did they all come from and didn't they all work together prior to coming to KU?

And another thing mulaza. Oh, yea. If you want seats, wait in line or build your own. Don't mess with my grandma!

I think there is a guy in Florida that can fill the new job opening...MM

yed 3 years, 10 months ago

What? Anything to support either claim, or do you just hate the Chancellor?

KU08 3 years, 10 months ago

Gee, I thought KU would conduct a local search or at most a regional search for a new AD.

Matt Kenton 3 years, 10 months ago

Committee? All you need is Drue Jennings.

gardenjay 3 years, 10 months ago

How horrible Gray-Little is? That must be a criticism of the board she is choosing to select the next AD, a far-flung criticism, so it sounds like you have a previous beef of another kind.

Gray-Little is looking like the Chancellor KU has been needing for a long time. She uses power wisely. She is academically oriented like a Chancellor should be, and she is pulling her weight at the right time to get the AD straightened out. She seems to have some pride in KU. What a friggin breath of fresh air.

Self can leave if he wants to. I sure wish he would recruit more players that don't do drugs and stay for a 4-year degree, but hey, maybe that's all that's out there now. :(

Kyle Cornish 3 years, 10 months ago

Yeah gardenjay, you are right. I want to be a low-level D1 school where all the kids stay 4, but none ever have the talent to go pro. Then I will be proud of them for staying for ME. I am a fan and I deserve praise and glory and you (the player) are the one to give it to me. When you win, I say we. When you lose, I say you. I work so hard to criticize the players when they are not playing well, but bask in the glory of wins like I am the one who worked hard. I did work hard cheering so hard from my mom's basement while typing on phog.net. It's so hard. I went to KU and/or am a fan, therefore my opinion counts and I should be be able to voice it. Ok, sarcasm over, you are a moron.

boknowssports 3 years, 10 months ago

How did KU decide on Gill? He goes 20-30 at Buffalo of the Mac East or whatever and that gives him a shot in the big 12???? something is fishy with his hiring.

justinryman 3 years, 10 months ago

Is that why he was a top candidate at Auburn a few years back?

boknowssports 3 years, 10 months ago

guess Auburn was a little smarter than us......