Sunday, September 5, 2010

Keegan

KU still can win four, but only if …

Kansas quarterback Jordan Webb takes off on a run against the North Dakota State defense during the fourth quarter, Saturday, Sept. 4, 2010 at Kivisto Field. The Jayhawks came up short in their season opener, dropping the contest 6-3.

Highlights: KU vs. NDSU

Highlights from the low-scoring game that was KU's 2010 season opener. North Dakota State won the contest 6-3.

Turner Gill postgame: NDSU

Turner Gill addresses the media following the Jayhawks' loss to North Dakota State on Saturday, September 4, 2010.

Audio clip

KU coach Turner Gill talks after the Jayhawks' 6-3 loss

Audio clip

KU quarterback Jordan Webb says he could feel NDSU's momentum building throughout the game

Feature

KU vs. North Dakota State

Live updates from the Newell Post Live, coming to you from Memorial Stadium where the Kansas Jayhawks are taking on the North Dakota State Bison.

Call me an eternal optimist, you always do, but I’ll say it anyway: Despite an embarrassing, historically bad loss in Saturday evening’s season-opener to a Division I-AA football school, I still believe Kansas University can get to four victories this season.

But it’s going to take Turner Gill to remedy immediately a talent-evaluation mistake for the Jayhawks to have any shot at winning four of the remaining 11 games on a tough schedule.

No, we’re not talking about a quarterback controversy centering on Kale Pick and Jordan Webb. Instead, a running back controversy needs to percolate, and it needs to be a very short one.

Toben Opurum, the team’s most talented offensive player, is a linebacker-in-training now. He watched from the sideline as KU’s depth-challenged linebacking crew performed well in the 6-3 loss to North Dakota State, and he watched running backs without his ability to carry multiple defenders on his back search for daylight and find none.

Opurum carries the ball straight up the gut 30 times Friday night, and Kansas scores at least two touchdowns. Period. He generates so much power by keeping his legs churning, he doesn’t need as much help from blockers as most ball carriers need.

The absence of Opurum from the offensive huddle cut the deepest when KU had the ball on its 40 early in the second quarter after Pick and Angus Quigley hooked up for a 20-yard reception and Daymond Patterson had a nine-yard run. On second-and-one, Deshaun Sands was stopped for no gain. On the next play, Quigley lost a yard.

And Opurum watched. And so many among the 48,417 who showed up in anticipation of watching KU beat up on a sparring partner had to wonder just where the Opurum train that appeared headed to stardom before his injury in Austin last fall went off track.

Sands and Quigley combined for 34 yards on 17 rushes. Jeremiah Hatch, once the best blocker in the program and now out of shape, didn’t play a snap.

“Again, I probably have to watch it on tape to really get a true evaluation,” Gill said, asked how much the running woes could be traced to poor blocking. “Some of it was their defense. I want to give them some credit. I think part of it might be our backs reading, whether they hit the right holes or not. I don’t know. It’s hard to tell on the sideline, from that standpoint.”

I had to know, so I asked Gill if he might consider moving Opurum back to offense.

“No, that’s not on my mind, unless something overnight comes and hits me there,” Gill said, smiling.

I fear this newspaper hitting his front porch wasn’t what he meant. Maybe he’ll dream about Opurum playing a wrecking ball with the Rambling Wreck of Georgia Tech defenders bouncing off of him Saturday at Memorial Stadium, the way Darrell Arthur once dreamed of playing basketball for KU, hours after he was on the verge of committing to Baylor.

Doubtful. For some reason, this staff doesn’t seem to like Opurum as a running back.

Opurum could have compensated for so many sins — undisciplined penalties, three turnovers, dropped passes, a blocked punt and generally sloppy play — but never got that shot.

Gill, an easy-to-root-for gentleman, is not the only recent KU coach to have a losing debut. Mark Mangino lost his, 45-3, at Iowa State. Glen Mason lost at home to Baylor, 27-14. Bob Valesente lost at home to North Carolina, 20-0. Northern Illinois spoiled Mike Gottfried’s debut in Lawrence, 37-34.

Still, Gill’s easily ranks as roughest, thanks to the abundance of spills, the shortage of thrills and the low profile of the plucky opponent.

The loss puts Gill in a tough spot, given that he follows a coach fired two years after a 12-1, Orange Bowl-winning season, and given that Lew Perkins, the man who hired him and a close friend, has lame-duck status.

Opurum is Gill’s ticket to hope. Punch it, Turner, punch it and this team in need of smelling salts will get its legs back.

Comments

Dillon Davis 4 years ago

Finally some sense. Love the article. Lot of truth in there. Opurum needs to be on the damn field! He's too good to be sitting on the sideline. The LB's did fine. RBs were basically non-existent in this game. Toben might not be back on offense by next game but if this continues, he better be back by the time conference games come around. I really began to question Gill's play calling tonight. Run, run, pass does not work!! We're not looking for another Herm Edwards and the Chiefs situation here. And then in the 3rd and 4th quarter when we were passing on 1st and 2nd down it was working great! And would've worked alot better if it werent for Tim. And the hurry up offense worked great too. But it shouldnt take until half way through the 3rd quarter to realize that ur game plan isn't working. I don't like the style of football we played tonight. Conservative play calling is not the answer. We had no creative formations what so ever. The set up to Patterson's 50 yd run was crafty but that's about all i can think of. It was a boring, brutal game to watch.

Everything we thought was backwards. We thought our d was gona be the issue but it's our offense. We thought our line was probably our strongest aspect and they struggled (right side particulary). Biere is not good like we thought. See what high expectations can do to a man? Tim should've learned this from Todd last year with all the heisman talk. This is not good at all. If we can go 2-2 out of this non conference that will be miraculous

CatsEatBirds 4 years ago

Just because the D held NDSU to 6 points doesn't mean there aren't serious problems there. Wait until that D faces a real opponent with nationally recruited talent. Oh yeah, that will happen next week.

Expect GT to put up over 40. Winning 2 all year for KU is a good goal.

Max Ledom 4 years ago

We don't need you to talk trash Kstater. We have your number all time in football. So shut up.

KU_Alumn_2000 4 years ago

Words can't describe how disapointing this performance was. Attending KU during the Terry Allen era was terrible...and tonight felt worse than that.

Got a feeling that this program has just lost everything that Mangino built...and we're heading back to the days when KU was the Big 12 punching bag...and nobody cared about going to the games. How the hell can we recruit when we're losing to freaking NDSU...and will likely go 0-12...or possibly 1-11. The program just took a 10+ year hit...or possibly more.

So freaking disapointing after we've had a taste of what it feels like to be competitive in football. Hope all of you Mangino haters are happy now.

Thanks Lew for wrecking our football program.

Max Ledom 4 years ago

Dude. 10 years might be a bit out there

Bear86 4 years ago

Completely agree. This game was Tee-D up for Gill. If you can not get this team ready for a D2 game as an up and coming D1 coach with something to prove you suck. Unless I see dramatic improvement the next game ( which I doubt) it will be a long couple years for the Hawks Football program. F-Texas!!!!!!!!

yates33333 4 years ago

Take heart. They didn't play Pittsburg State so it wasn't a romp! I hope Washburn isn't on the schedule.

Let see, Bill Snyder came back. Mangino, come back, come back, Mangino, Mangino, come back..... And the little boy saw Alan Ladd ride off into the distance.

And people say Keegan is anti-KU. What four games genius?

Opurum aint Superman, is he?

We will gettem in basketball season!!!!

CatsEatBirds 4 years ago

Don't expect basketball to be a cakewalk, either. We could have 3 Big 12 North teams ranked in the top 20. Good idea to give up on football, though.

Unlike Snyder, Mangino would never return after the way he was treated. Some Jayhawks have self respect.

Max Ledom 4 years ago

Dude all you got to do is come talk trash on a KU fanboard? Haha okay buddy here, we lead you all time wins in football by 20 and in basketball by god who knows 100? We have a BCS bowl victory and have been to 3 orange bowls. 5 national championships in basketball 19 first team all Americans 3 NFL hall of famers. Anything else? I'll keep going. But no need to argue with that sorry a$$ program you got in manhattan. Call me when you actually win a title.

d2psugrad 4 years ago

Be thankful they did not play Pitt State. Pitt State has actually beat ND State before. They played each other in the D2 playoffs three years in row in the early 90's. Pitt beat them to go to the D2 championship game.

tolooka 4 years ago

If I remember correctly, ND State also have won 3 Div. II national championships and have had several players in the NFL. from their Div. II teams as well as Div 1AA teams. To date, ND State is 4-3 against Div 1A opponents, beating Central Michigan, Montana State, Ball State and Minnesota, where their running back set a school record rushing for 263 yards, and now KU. I agree that a D1A school shouldn't lose to a D1AA but I think the disparity has lessened in the last decade and too many times the Div 1AA team isn't taken seriously and prepared for. I have read posts about ND States record last year of 3-8 but most don't know 8 starting defense players were lost in the 1st 4 games, and the majority of those losses were within a few points. Give ND State a little more credit and the situation doesn't look as bad. They were hungrier...Any given Sunday (Saturday)

tolooka 4 years ago

Oops, Montana State when they were DII

91hawk 4 years ago

I want to know where all the geniuses who were all over Keegan's case yesterday went. I heard from a ton of fellow KU fans who were outraged that any prediction of fewer than 13 victories for this season could be made by anybody with a brain stem. Now, there doesn't seem to be any of them out posting today. I do hear from a number of dopes this morning about the need to fire the coach after the first game. That'll go really well. All those out there that want to fire Turner Gill, who do you imagine we'll get?

This team wasn't just bursting with talent after last season--whether Mark Mangino stayed or not. There are a number of young men--including Opurum--who are playing in different places than they were asked to last year.

The problems from last year--a lack of speed and a weak offensive line--cannot be addressed without recruiting classes coming in. You fire Turner Gill after one week, who will come in and take that over? I could smell this loss coming, and I'm sure that others around the college football world could, too. I remember Sam Houston State just kicking our o-lines butts all night a couple of years ago. We managed to escape because we had Reesing, Meier, Briscoe, et al. They're all gone, and last night was the result that happens when you lose all that firepower and have new guys behind the same linemen.

Larry Ewart 4 years ago

I agree with about everything said. This performance last night was pitiful. I truly believe it was an offensive line performance problem. We thought we could run on them the first half and found out that we could not. We started to open up the second half but dropped passes and fumbled balls hurt us badly. Kale made one mistake last night and cost us dearly but if you really watched the game the O line did not run block or pass block very well. Which speaks that we may be in for a long season. We have talent at the skill positions but I am not sure about the Offensive line. If we cannot block a team of NDSU caliber I do not know how we can againest Big 12 talent. Better fix it fast.

KU_Alumn_2000 4 years ago

91hawk - You can make all the excuses you want for Gill. I'm sorry...but Mangino didn't leave this program in that bad of shape. There are no excuses for losing to NDSU...a team that went 3-8 at the FCS level.

If you want to argue that...then take a look at our past 6 recruiting classes and compare it to NDSU's recruiting classes. No freaking excuses.

Sure...we're gonna lose to G. Tech and multiple Big 12 teams (if not all)...but NDSU ? C'mon !

KU_Alumn_2000 4 years ago

Hey Lew - Good luck with getting your grid iron club figured out.

Last night may of been the last sell out crowd that we'll encounter for a few years.

blackhawkjayhawk 4 years ago

That whooshing sound you hear is our verbal commits running to their phones to call bill snyder

newjayhawk 4 years ago

YES .....NO DOUBT THE COMMITS ARE TAKING SECOND LOOKS!

VAJayhawk 4 years ago

I was shocked when I read that first headline regarding moving Opurum to LB....completely agree it was a mistake. That idea just seemed to come out of nowhere, and it ought to be sent back to nowhere.

Greg Lux 4 years ago

Only GOD can help us now .... Please GOD .. HELP!!!

truefan 4 years ago

We only have one 2 star recruit committed in this year's class (Phil Ford), the rest are 3 star recruits which is no better and no worse than Mangino's recruiting abilities.

OhioHawkfan 4 years ago

"Nice guys finish last!"

KCHawk81 4 years ago

Az, you seem to be enjoying the loss much more than an alum should. Terribly disappointed? Yes. Disheartened? No.

Max Ledom 4 years ago

Thank you Keagan for being the voice of reason. Opurum is our BEST offensive player. It's ridiculous he's at linebacker. Put him back Gill. Do it now.

Andy Tweedy 4 years ago

I was at the game last night, and Gale Sayers wasn't going to get any yards against NDSU. There were no holes! The only running plays that worked (and there weren't many) were to the outside, nothing up the middle.

lawrence_is_my_middle_name 4 years ago

That's the point of putting in a strong player like Opurum, he carries tacklers four or five yards sometimes. Even without holes he would still gain yardage. Great article Tom.

Andy Tweedy 4 years ago

He's the same size as Angus Quigley...I'm not buying it!

hawkone 4 years ago

But Quigley still runs upright, which is why Mangino never played him.

wstrn_ks_jhawk_87 4 years ago

last night made me want to be sick. besides the very poor performance of the team, the athletic department should be embarrased by the "cute" little pics of the boys up on the giant screen with their little "nicknames" for each other. i come to the game to see performance on the field; not the rock chalk dancers in the endzone, not the pizza delivery of the game, and certainly not the cartoon bubbles with "svelt" in them. bust someone on the field and then you can tell me how "big and strong" you are . . . what a dissapointment.

HuskerMan 4 years ago

For all the haters, Gill is a great coach and will restore the program. It may take a long time in football timeline to do it. Within two years, he will have his players in and the third year here, he will be competitive. That said, losing to ND State - unacceptable. Should have beat them by conditioning alone, he knows better than that.
It will be a very long season and W-L will not be the scorecard. Can they get better. Anything short of a BCS berth in this conference is a loser anyway. Good news is they won't be bowl eligible and they will have additional time to train and get stronger for 2011.
I feel sorry for that man when he returns to Lincoln to get drilled by Bo, who figured it out year one.

HuskerMan 4 years ago

JB Grimes should get his sh-t together

daverinoku 4 years ago

Yep, it's on the O-line.

pmohr13 4 years ago

umm, i think you got it confuse, by getting a bowl birth we actually get more time to practice and get the system than if we didn't.

vuduchyld 4 years ago

Clearly, you know nothing about football or program-building.

Being bowl eligible is a HUGE, HUGE deal because it allows your team to continue to practice for another 6-8 weeks. This team needs practice. They don't need time off to lick their wounds and heal.

Actually...this team needs a lot more than that. I'd start with AD.

bad_dog 4 years ago

"Opurum carries the ball straight up the gut 30 times Friday night, and Kansas scores at least two touchdowns."

Pretty good odds of that happening given they wouldn't have had an opposing team on the field-other than perhaps the "Blue" team.

yates33333 4 years ago

I don't think John Riggins (I can't spell his name, but you know, the steam shovel) could have made two touchdowns with the offensive line we had facing North Dakota.

bad_dog 4 years ago

The point was we didn't play on Friday night, something that apparently escaped the ever vigilant Keegan...

HuskerMan 4 years ago

Gill is on suicide watch

Maracas 4 years ago

There is no team left on the schedule that this KU team could conceivably beat with their talent and the completely overpaid coaching staff in place. KU might luck into one win by some divine grace, I suppose.

grandpa 4 years ago

This was our first game. Mistakes were made everywhere. Let's hope it was like a pre-season for the pros. Our offensive line was a big disappointment on their blocking. We need to get Hatch back into the lineup. Our receivers did alright. Pick takes too much time on his pass release and gets sacked. I think we will see more of Webb. Obvious confusion between Pick and the Offense coach. Some poor playa calling by the coaches. We were out of timeouts with 8 minutes left in the game. There is a need to wach tape of this game for several hours this Sunday. Georgia Tech is good at running up the gut and we are weak at this point. We will win the game this Sat.!!

lawrence_is_my_middle_name 4 years ago

Seriously, that's a great idea. Incite him with the revenge factor, he'll be in the same conference as Tech.

phi4life940 4 years ago

Alright....I'll formally apologize. I was one of the guys calling TK not a true KU fan. I was one of the guys calling him out, anyone else doubting KU for that matter, and I will admit I WAS WRONG.

But can you blame me!?!?! With all the excitement and anticipation of the Turner Gill era I couldn't help but be optimistic! How was I supposed to have any idea that KU would only put up 3 points against NDSU and play the WORST college football game I have ever seen (no exaggeration)!?!?!

Words just can't explain how upset I am.

This article is excellent. I wish (although doubt) Gill will switch TO back to running back although I feel like it would be the best move as Quigley has never done anything in the backfield to generate excitement.

Once again.....words can't express how bad this sucks. I just don't know what to say....

eastcoasthawk 4 years ago

It is amazing what short memories most seem to have. New coach = new schemes. New schemes = learning curve. Our lack of discipline on the field had nothing to do with Mangino gone and Gill in. Just that our guys are still learning the system and are not comfortable with it in any way. We call a play and our guys still don't know where to go yet. We played a team that has had continuity with coaches and schemes and put 7-8 guys in the box and shut us down. Yet we were still in the game and really only lost on 3 big plays. INT in the end zone, a shanked FG attempt and a freshmen QB that could have run the 4 yards needed on 4th down. It's going to be a painful season but I look forward to seeing lots of improvement and better discipline. If not, then the Gill naysayers have it.

KU_FanSince75 4 years ago

As much as I hate to admit it, I agree with TK. Coach Gill---make the change. Move Operum to the back field. Gill seems pretty laid back when he lost to a Div. II school last night. Does he know what he is getting himself into? Losing to lower division schools --- that will be hazardous to your employment on the hill.

gardenjay 4 years ago

The economy is down, and KU fans need a punching bag. What a bunch of Debbie Downers (from a previous poster), cry babies, fair-weather fans, in short KU basketball fans. Yes, that's it, what a bunch of KU Basketball Fans.

If you have anything to harvest, do so. That always puts a smile on my face, or do something productive like invent the next biofuel. Then you won't complain, because after failing you will have to find satisfaction in actually working to try to produce something.

Effort might then be something you can relate to, totally unlike that candy machine your parents kept filled in your bedroom that gave you candy throughout your childhoods without your effort.

KCHawk81 4 years ago

Well said, Garden. Not easy to stay positive today, but I'm going to do it. The defense played better than it did most games last season. The offense looked...like a squad that lost its playmakers. Nothing else to do but show up next week, and hope to see some adjustments in the right direction.

Larry Ewart 4 years ago

By Keegan pushing for Opurum he will never see the offensive side of the ball. Coaches will not react to a sportswriter who has never coached a game.

Krohnutz 4 years ago

Isn't an intentional lack of reaction a form of reaction?

stravinsky 4 years ago

I'm not saying that I completely disagree that having Opurum as a running back that game would have helped, but our running woes rest more squarely on the offensive line than on the running backs. They were consistently losing at the point of attack, and our running backs were being hit at the line of scrimmage nearly every time.

JayHawkFanToo 4 years ago

The logical follow up is why keep running plays that get you nowhere? Sands and Quigley ran a combined 17 plays for 32 yards!!! Take out their longest runs of 5 yards a piece and you have an even more pathetic combined 15 carries for 22 yards. As I said before, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a diffrent result. Gill is so bound and determined to emphasize the power running game that he forgot how to coach. He was having good luck running to the ouside, why not do more of that? I am not sure if you watched Oporum las season, but if you did, you would know that he would have done considerably better than what we had out there.

jmason 4 years ago

Turner Gill meet Dan Hawkins. First game for Hawkins a loss to Montana St. First game for Gill a loss to N. Dakota St. At least Gill doesn't have a son to play QB for three years until figuring out he is no good. I hope this does not go like the five years of the Hawkins era in Boulder.

lahothan 4 years ago

If I had to pick one person to blame for this loss it would be our experienced TE Biere. He dropped a lot of passes and that fumble of his was the crusher. I expected more from him. Next in line for the blame is going to have to be Gill. That reverse play was amazing, but it was the only amazing play I saw all night. No creativity in the play calling, espeacially when our half backs were getting demolished at the line. It was like Herm Edwards was calling the plays! Toben should be our starting half back, Webb at QB, and Gill needs to go balls out every game. We don't have the talent to be a conservative team, he's got to do something crazy EVERY GAME.

lahothan 4 years ago

And also, what four games are we going to win? We'd be lucky to beat Iowa St this year.

hothan34 4 years ago

Hey lahothan, how bout new Mexico? Lol nevermind, let's take baby steps, how bout we just score a touchdown

Timothy Todd 4 years ago

Turner Gill was out coached and our team was outplayed. The scenario is old, tired but true- excuses will be made about Mangino, learning curves, new schemes, so on and so forth. Players will leave, recruits will dry up and in two or three years Gill will be gone and the team in a shambles that will take at least five years to rebuild (assuming we get a decent coach- make that ten to 20 years if a procession of fools comes before us again). Lew- as your final shot, fire Gill now and get someone in here who really knows how to coach, recruit, talk to the media and deal with alums. Otherwise your dream of a football/basketball school is totally gone. But on the bright side you should be able to find parking between 9th and 8th on game days! And I do know IT'S JUST ONE GAME! But it's to a FCS team! This was the creampuff! No excuses!

Andy Tweedy 4 years ago

Were those who want Mangino back at the CU game last year? The KSU game? The Texas game? We were AWFUL in 2009! Last year, we couldn't stop anybody, this year we can't score. I'm just baffled by people's short-term memory!!! We weren't worth a crap last year, and all of sudden people think we should be steam-rolling anybody? This is going to take some time...

ZDKC 4 years ago

We were competitive last year. Did you not watch the games? A LOT of those games we lost on our 0-7 run we were in until the very end.

Also, I don't really see how your point is valid. The teams you listed that we lost to last year are D1 Big12 schools. There's a HUGE difference between losing by a couple points to them vs losing to NDSU let alone barely winning.

iseeredpeople 4 years ago

I have no idea why you geniuses want Mangino back...there is sooo much more food now at Perkins!

Besides, Gill was given a program in shambles. To those who say that Mangino didn't leave it that bad--really? Who did he have prepared to run the offense? (crickets chirping) Who on that team really wanted to play for him, period? (more crickets chirping)

C'mon, get over it. It was only the first game. Y'all need to give it some time. You can't stop a battleship on a dime, and you can't turn around a football team in one off-season. Even the most optimistic NU fans didn't expect Pelini to do what he did in the first year (well, ok, there were some idjits who think NU should contend for the NC every year) because we saw the trainwreck he got from Callahan.

So lighten up, Jayhawkers. The sun came up today, and it will tomorrow too.

Gregg 4 years ago

I didn't know Jesus could play football?...Oh, that's right he can't. Get the religion out of football before we lose every game. Toughen up fast. Develop the killer instinct. Eat red meat only. Nails for dessert.

Losing to NDSU is NOT acceptable.

Mangino_Maniac 4 years ago

Sounds like you are saying we need someone more like Mangino than Gill. ;-)

Mangino_Maniac 4 years ago

I thought the same thing when he was hired... four years at Buffalo pales terribly in comparison to the experience we received when Mangino was hired (KSU and OU assistant positions), or the wealth of experience we could have received if we had pursued, and I think definitely could have nabbed, Tuberville!!!

Lew wanted this clean-cut, inexperienced guy because he was impressed by his character, and that seemed to be what mattered to Lew instead of a strong coaching resume.

Andy Tweedy 4 years ago

You need to do your homework. Gill had as much or more experience as an assistant at Nebraska than Mangino did at both stops combined. AND he played the game, both in college and the CFL and even played minor league baseball. On top of that, he worked in the front office of the Green Bay Packers. Gill's resume at the time he was hired absolutely destroys Mangino's resume. Check the facts before writing about experience.

amatxjayhawk 4 years ago

I can't believe this reaction. I must have watched a different game. I saw 6, count'm 6, catchable passes missed by our usually sure-handed tight end, who did catch two, which he fumbled away. If we improve that performance by 50% we probably win this ball game.

Our usually dependable place kicker misses two filed goal we all believed he would make. Improve that by 50% and we're tied.

We were only a few mistakes away from winning this game. It is not time to hang our heads; it is not time to panic; it is not time to recall Mangino; and it is certainly not time to give up on this coach, his staff, or our team.

It is time to encourage these guys to hang in there and get better every week.

ZDKC 4 years ago

I think you're missing the point. This shouldn't be a game a D1 team wins by just 1 TD. Any Big 12 team should crush a team like NDSU.

Reason: KU pours MILLIONS of dollars in the coach/program/recruits. The NDSU football program is run on a volunteer basis (joke).

63Jayhawk 4 years ago

In light of the rushing success(?), is it any surprise that Coach Gill has recruited so many offensive linemen next year?

midhawktx 4 years ago

Its all about the big picture here and this Conference Re-alignment.

I know that it is not cool bashing on a coach after a really bad loss and his first loss, but this "change" in our program is not going to help us in four years when the Big 12's TV rights are up for negotion.

Quick few points: 1. Even with KU winning a BCS bowl game and multiple bowl game wins under Mangino was not enough to award KU a spot this year with some of the expanding conferences. 2. Basketball does not mean squat when it comes to joining major conferences and it is safe to say that basketball teams need a major conference to stay competitive in recruting. 3. KU FB does not have three years to "change" this program. We've seen this story before (Terry Allen era) and it did not work out.
4. Gill isn't that impressive. I haven't seen him before until last night, and his interview could not have gone worse. You are a D1 coach, put a sentence together. How the heck did you get this job???

With all of that being said, we have to make a change right away. I know this may sound stupid, but we need to get rid of Chuck Long today; hire Mike Leach as OC and head coach in waiting. Leach will give us a chance to stay ultra competitive at a terrible FB recruiting school. He got sandbagged in Lubbock and is not as "bad" as Mangino.

I won't sit through another Terry Allen era again and just hope wins happen because the flowers are blooming and no one is cussing. Get us a true coach and let us join a mega conference when that day comes. Time is of the essence.

ZDKC 4 years ago

Good post. Just wanted to expand on your #1 point. While there are a plethora of reasons (geography/fanbase/etc) quite possibly we weren't in any talks with expanding conferences because they knew with the Turner Gill hire, the KU football program was probably not going to recover. An indicator of the future?

troutsee 4 years ago

Keegan, our offensive line is so bad that it does not make any difference who runs the ball. This is the same offensive line that could not open holes last year or protect Reesing. The play calling last night was pathetic. Also, our defense did not look good to me. GT will run all over us. As I said last night, NDSU out-physicaled us. They out toughed us. They were better prepared. They had a better game plan. They were more organized.

However, put this loss squarely on the offensive line. It was truly offensive.

I was way too over optimistic for this year. Sorry guys but after witnessing that el-stinko performance last night, it will take a major overhaul to turn this around and I did not see the talent or the coaching capable of pulling that off this year.

Andy Tweedy 4 years ago

I disagree about the defense, they looked fine. You can only play who you play, and they did everything asked of them against a supposedly inferior opponent. As for the coaching, players win games, not coaches. Mangino was genius for one year, and other than that he did little but post decent records, not great! This staff deserves more than 60 minutes to prove their worth.

Andrew Moore 4 years ago

I'm really tired of hearing you guys bashing Gill because he is a christian (albeit a little outspoken but c'mon...).

I've lost faith in this years squad and am absolutely embarrassed by our football team.

Turner Gill will right the ship! This is a man I can believe in. He's been a great player and coached some good teams, he knows what it takes! He wasn't prepared. I'll be concerned if we aren't killing teams like NDSU by the end the season and moving forward from there.

Tim Biere? what the F happenned to this guy?

Toben! either play him at LB or play him at RB. He's too damn talented to be sitting on the bench watching us lose 6 - 3!

O-line AND D-line. You guys have incredibly low ceilings as football players. I'd like to see you guys develop more chemistry and not be MANHANDLED by an FCS team. Georgia Tech will pancake you all day on saturday if you play like that again.

A KSU fan and alum (my grandfather) consoled me after this horrific loss with a "don't worry, only six weeks til late night in the phog!!!" And all I could say was "gosh thats soooooo far away!..."

CasperCorps 4 years ago

good article, I think I did what everyone else did after the loss and looked at the remaining schedule. Doesn't look good. this could be a real ugly season...

jasscott 4 years ago

What is wrong with (most of) you people? It is one game for crying out loud! Yeah, foul language is going to translate to wins. Brilliant. I heard someone in the stands shouting, "bring back the fat guy!" Do you remember how well the "fat guy" did his first year at KU? I'll remind you: 2-10! We lost to Nevada-Las Vegas by 11 points and Bowling Green State 39 to 16. Did anyone notice the injuries before this season? Did anyone notice the 7 losses ending last season? In 1967, under new coach Pepper Rodgers, KU lost its first 3 games, the last was a 30-15 pasting at home at the hands of Miami of Ohio. I was there. I heard a lot of the same doom and gloom about what a bad hire he was. The next week I was also there when Nebraska came to town. Final score KU 10 NU 0. Yes: 0. It was the first time Nebraska had been shut out since WWII. We beat them and 8 other teams the next year and went to the Orange Bowl. As for building young men with character, there is nothing wrong with politely helping up an opponent after you've hit him so hard he has snot bubbles on his face. Give this coach, a real man, a chance. Don't give up on him and don't give up on this team, even for this season.

ZDKC 4 years ago

1) Last year when we went 0-7 we almost won A LOT of those games. (FYI these were division 1 competitive schools)

2) Not helping some up after a play isn't because of lack of courtesy, it part of football. It wears your opponents down physically and mentally. This is the same reason you will rarely see a linebacker help an opposing QB or RB up after a play (especially in the NFL). It tire them; it rattles them

Tony Bandle 4 years ago

Keegs,

You went from KU basher to KU apologist in a short 48 hours. A feat worthy of Pulitzer prize consideration!! Great article.

It's a long season...this team will grow along with the coaches. Whether it will produce many wins is problematic. One thing, though, although the timing of this failure was damning, at least we have started at rock bottom, with a clear vision of how much ground we have to make up and eleven more games to do it in.

PS Even as a glass half full kind of guy, I think 4 victories is pushing it. I guess we'll see!!

Joe Ross 4 years ago

Oakville, it's not KU bashing to give an honest perspective.

Just a thought.

hailtoku 4 years ago

KU football is pathetic.

We had it finally figured out and blew it.

harv89 4 years ago

I went to the Oklahoma game last year and even though we lost it was night and day on team performance. Please don't even compare that pathetic display last saturday to even one of our losses last year.

That loss was a punch in the gut. That loss depressed me about the future saturdays of this season. I just hope that they show improvement. I just hope the new AD replaces our PR stunt with a real football coach.

Kirk 4 years ago

I can't believe Gill is here. That we actually hired this pathetic fraud of a D1 head coach completely blows my mind.

Until I realize that yes, this is Kansas football. Oh yeah.

jayhawkintx73 4 years ago

Gill,

If something didn't hit you there regarding Operum, then I think maybe high school football would be better for you.