Saturday, March 13, 2010

Self wins 200th; KU reaches finals

Sherron Collins moves toward the basket during the Big 12 Tournament semifinal at the Sprint Center, Friday, March 12, 2010 in Kansas City, Mo.

Kansas basketball bound for Big 12 title game

The Kansas men's basketball team is headed for the Big 12 Championship after dispatching Texas A&M, thanks to a 21-1 run.

Audio clips

2010 KU-A&M

— Bill Self didn’t plan to pop open a bottle of champagne late Friday night at team headquarters, the Downtown Marriott Hotel.

“Ah, that’s not a milestone,” Self, Kansas University’s basketball coach, said modestly after the Jayhawks’ 79-66 Big 12 tournament semifinal victory over Texas A&M; in Sprint Center.

He was referring to claiming his 200th victory (against 42 losses) in his seven-year KU career and becoming the quickest to reach 200 of any coach in Jayhawk history.

“It’s nice to be able to get it,” he said. “We’ve been on a pretty good roll lately, but that’s not a big deal.

“Now, 207 ... that’d be nice, really nice,” Self added with a smile.

Of course reaching win No. 207 this season would mean not only a victory over Kansas State today in the Big 12 tourney finals (5 p.m., Sprint Center), but six victories in the NCAAs and a second national title in three seasons.

There were no T-shirts made to celebration the occasion, also none to commemorate Cole Aldrich topping the 1,000-point mark in scoring and none to recognize KU moving past North Carolina into second place on the all-time win list (2,001 to 2,000).

“Tyshawn’s mom would take them anyway. Isn’t that what he said yesterday?” Self said with a big laugh.

Yup. Tyshawn Taylor (nine points, five assists) said after Thursday’s victory over Texas Tech that his mom, Jeanell, likely would snatch away his KU 2,000 victory T-shirt.

“Coach didn’t say anything about it. That’s actually the first I’ve heard of that,” Taylor said of Self hitting No. 200 at KU. Self won his 400th game overall earlier this season.

“Congratulations to coach. He’s humble and not going to mention something like that to the team.”

Self for the second straight day was in no mood to party at halftime. The Jayhawks (31-2) committed 12 first-half turnovers in falling behind, A&M; (23-9), 38-35.

“It was a lighter version of yesterday’s talk,” Taylor said. “He was not happy with us. He said we were playing dumb. I personally ran an out-of-bounds play completely wrong. We played stupid, and he got on us. We deserved it.”

KU didn’t wake up for a while after the break. The Jayhawks, who trailed by a game-high nine points (47-38) three minutes into the second half, hopped into a zone defense (2-3 and triangle) with 10 minutes left with KU down, 55-51.

Xavier Henry (15 points) hit a three and scored 11 points in a 21-2 run that buried KU grad Mark Turgeon’s A&M; team.

“It wasn’t Syracuse’s zone, but we got something out of it,” Self said. “We didn’t allow them to pass it where they wanted.”

KU also became inspired when Sherron Collins (26 points, six assists) and Bryan Davis exchanged words after inadvertently bumping into each other a minute after a Henry three gave KU a 63-57 lead at 7:22.

Davis and Markieff Morris were called for technical fouls in a shouting match that never came close to escalating into a fight.

“Sherron was arguing a bit, and I stepped in,” said Morris, who had 10 points, five boards and four assists. “The ref thought I was talking to him. What I was actually doing was pulling Sherron back.

“We don’t want to have the image of bad guys,” Morris added. “But we won’t back down. And I think we’re going to keep playing hard.”

The incident fired up Collins, who had 14 points the second half off 5-of-12 shooting.

“When you make Sherron mad, there’s a problem,” Taylor said. “When guys get chippy, Sherron turns it up. We go as he goes. Today he went.”

“No. 4 puts us on his back when things aren’t going right,” coach Self gushed.

If Collins was the star of the game, Henry was standout No. 1A. He hit for 11 points the second half, all in that 21-2 surge.

“When things aren’t going right, he starts pressing,” Self said. “When he’s pressing, the hole shrinks. We talked to him before the game. We told him to have fun tonight, be a kid, enjoy this.

“He’s not going to be in school long enough to not enjoy this and have fun,” Self added with a smile, referring to the player expected to be a one-and-done.

Henry continued his yearlong stance of praising his teammates for his success.

“My points … it was them finding me. They looked for me all the time, and I tried to find the open spot. It’s a team game, and my teammates always look out for me,” he said.

And for what it’s worth, the team again will receive T-shirts if they win today: Big 12 tournament championship T-shirts.

“I told the guys if we’re here, we might as well win it,” Self said with a smile.

Comments

ParisHawk 10 years, 2 months ago

Maxhawk, max post. What made you change your mind at this juncture?

Sweet_Sandbags 10 years, 2 months ago

No looking ahead Coach Self (to win #207)! One game at a time. JK

I hope the Hawks treat each game from here on out with the importance of a championship game, because that is what each now is in a win--or-go-home scenario. Someone is going to make KU "zombie kill of the week" soon if they keep starting out games like they have these last two. Focus, execute, survive and advance gentlemen.

The final two games of the Big XII tourney are going to be great prep for the big dance. aTm was the quality of a Sweet 16 opponent and K-State will be Regional Final or even Final Four quality. Meanwhile, some other contenders are sitting at home watching with early conference tourney losses. Love the stat after Syracuse lost that no team has gone all the way in the big dance after losing in their conference tourney quarterfinals. Would be nice if that continued this year, especially since the color orange is involved with the 'Cuse...not a good color for KU to be around this year.

The Tenn.-Kent. game will be interesting to watch today. UT has had UK's number for the most part this season. Let's see how the great Wall and company react to tough tourney pressure...though if you saw any of their game yesterday (they resembled KU vs TTech in lack of urgency/intensity), they will basically be playing in Rupp South in Nashville. About 90% blue clad fans in attendence. UT, and perhaps even Vandy if they meet UK in the SEC final, will be playing in a road environment on a neutral court in their home state (or city in Vandy's case). Meanwhile, the ACC is showing itself as simply Duke and the little sisters. Not sure what to make of the Big East except that whichever two teams from there that are in KU's region will likely be tough outs.

Anyway, back to what is important. Go 1-0 today Hawks and bring home that Big XII title!

RCJGKU

Dirk Andrews 10 years, 2 months ago

Coach Self is a much better COACH than Roy. He recruits better, seeing as Roy only gets kids because of the name on the Jersey, and look what that translated into this year. More McDonald's All-Americans on the team than ACC regular season wins! Yeah, I know, they lost so much, but so did we last year. And because of our better coach, we had a much better season. And think about the new Tyler Hansborough traveling rule they now have in college basketball. You know, the shuffling of the pivot feet. He shouldn't even have half the points he's credited for because he was traveling all over the place! Self prepares better for games, and that was evident the title year when we actually played Roy and smoked them. Self, along with Manning, Dooley, and Townsend, and staff actually develope players, i.e. Darnell, Sasha, and the Morris twins. But the biggest difference is in the defense. A Roy Williams club would have never played that tough D like Self coaches today. And when our team is losing, Self's face is crimson from anger, not like Roy who just sat on the sidelines feeling sorry for himself. Congrats to coach and the team on 2,000 and on 200.

kvskubball 10 years, 2 months ago

KU has been playing basketball for over 100 years...

In just 7 years, Coach Self has 10% of all KU wins...pretty darn impressive to me!

Congratulations for your 200th win at KU, Coach!

sydhawk 10 years, 2 months ago

“When you make Sherron mad, there’s a problem,” Tyshawn Taylor said. “When guys get chippy, Sherron turns it up. We go as he goes. Today he went.”

Keep it going, Sherron. RCJH!!

Paul Meyer 10 years, 2 months ago

Coach Self, if you read some of these comments, just know, there's a large percentage of us who like to be forward thinking like you. No need to re-visit history. You're tops.

And your stat mentioned above is phenomenal.

Thanks for all you do, and who you are.

swense 10 years, 2 months ago

I don't know how many of you ever coached BB but I have and I really appreciate the fact that KU hired Coach Self. He is no doubt the best recruiter, the best game Coach, and the best the way he handles the young men in those Rock Chalk Jayhawk uniforms. I hope he never looks around. And besides that he has a great group of Assistants. Go Jayhawks!!!

yates33333 10 years, 2 months ago

Woodberry (anonymous) says… Coach Self is a much better COACH than Roy.

Yes. It was obvious after the first year. I am no longer mad about Williams leaving. In fact I would like to thank him and wish him the very best except against Kansas. I think it can be honestly said that his moving improved both teams. I liked Gutteridge, but he wasn't what UNC needed.

John Brown 10 years, 2 months ago

I have been cheering for Self since he signed. I was so glad to see Weepy Roy move on. Self coaches D and D wins championships. Master flopper/Traveling Tyler Hansborough and Roy were a good fit for one another. I loved the final four match up against UNC when Aldrich put the Master Flopper to the floor several times. Tyler was confused stupid because the refs didn't give him any calls but instead told him to get up and play. Being tough is nothing new with KU, at least not since Roy went back to UNC.

jayhawkintexas 10 years, 2 months ago

The game with K-State needs to be a war of attrition and see whose legs can hold out longer. EJ, Withey and Robinson get ready to play run and gun to wear down KSU. Their bench isn't anywhere nearly as deep as ours and we're gonna need fresh legs to relieve the starters at times. This game comes down to the simple fact that if we win we're the overall No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament. If we lose, we have to hope that Kentucky also loses. Turnovers could have cost us the game yesterday--play smart and sharp.

KU 10 years, 2 months ago

jayhawkintexas........I think you hit the nail on the head when you said this championship game needs to be a war of attrition. I think Sherron was our only player who logged more than 30 minutes yesterday. If I'm correct, KSU had 4 or 5 guys that played well over 30 minutes against Baylor. Add to that the fact their game got over around 11PM and they have about an 18 hour turnaround, and you would HOPE fatigue plays a role in the game.

I can see us getting behind by 10 in the first 10 minutes of the second half and then coming out blazing to take the lead. That's been our MO this tournament: Rope-a-dope through 30 minutes and then go for the knock out.

I'm looking for Marcus to be The Man today after playing about 11 minutes and having an off night against aTm. If he can get 16 and 8 tonight it will go a long way towards KU winning. The key with the Morris twins will be if KSU's strategy of getting in their ears and talking trash affects them positively or negatively. (Did you notice in Lawrence several times 2 of KSU's players would be jawing at the Morris boys at the same time?)

If Xavier can score in double digits against a Dominique Sutton (who is playing great right now), it will be a major step forward in his development. Earlier in the year, X struggled mightily against long, athletic, physical wing defenders.

You would think KU got all its allotment of turnovers out of its system last night, wouldn't you? If we don't turn the ball over, we should be in the game late and that's all you can ask for in a conference championship game. It's tough to beat a very, very good team 3 times in one season.

Rock Chalk!

tstanlick1909 10 years, 2 months ago

You hear about MJ and his effect on his teammates, the same for Kobe, and Lebron. One of our key factors in the rest of the season is Sherron's intensity, and the rest of the team in matching that intensity. ie. the alcorn st game, when Sherron was pushed to the floor and the opponents coaching staff told their team to not help him up, Sherron got heated and we went on a 36-0 run. Point plankin

KU 10 years, 2 months ago

Kansas City! Sooooo proud of my town. What a great college basketball town. What a great set-up with the beautiful Sprint Center on one end, historic Municipal Auditorium on the other and the sparkling, energetic Power & Light District sandwiched in between. There is no better host city for a conference basketball tournament in the world--not even NYC and Madison Square Garden can compete.

Sell-out crowds for quarterfinal games? Does that happen in Dallas? Oklahoma City? Nope. Watch the games in NYC (Big East), Indianapolis (Big 10), Greensboro (ACC), Nashville (SEC), and Anaheim (Pac 10) and you will see half-empty arenas for quarterfinal, and in some cases semifinal, games.

Kansas City is the rightful PERMANENT home of the Big 12 tournament!

Andy Hess 10 years, 2 months ago

Big surprise John Higgins called the T's on the guys. He's always gotta inject himself in every situation, like he's looking for more time on camera. That bonehead is one of the worst officials in the NCAA.

Larry Smith 10 years, 2 months ago

A nice article about Coach Self, and he definitely deserves the praise. I guess It means I won't have to read one of sooballs idiotic posts today about what a terrible coach he is.

Larry Smith 10 years, 2 months ago

addlime 10 years, 2 months ago

Self was impressive last night! The above comment about not being too stubborn to try a zone is right on!!!! That's one thing Roy wouldn't have done. He doesn't adjust as well in game. Roy Williams is a great coach and we were lucky to have him. I think we are even luckier to have Self. I think the big game pressure got to the kids under Williams, and the kids respond better to that pressure under Self. Self's teams aren't going to win as many blow-outs as Roy's, but they seem to do better in the nail-biters, and you're gonna have some of those in the tournament. I remember those less talented Illini teams of Self, and how they gave the Jayhawks fits. That was because of toughness and defense. I hated them then, and I love watching it on our team now. Coach Self is a very impressive coach! 200 KU wins already is remarkable! RCJH

trueblue9 10 years, 2 months ago

"not stubborn enough to try a zone" - comical. its called coaching, try different things when others aren't working.

i hope he can fix whatever is wrong with the team's concentration level. i imagine that we'll be up for k-state, but what worries me is the 2nd round game in the tourney. it will be a similar situation where we are expected to cruise, maybe even an early am game. look at some of the teams espn is projecting to be in the 8/9 game: nd, tx, marquette, utep, ok st., l'ville, etc. we are going to have to bring better than a B effort.

hawkva 10 years, 2 months ago

Did I misunderstand B. Musberger's remarks or is the commentary really dumb? When the camera caught Carl Henry in the stands, they put up on the screen a picture of C. Henry as a Jayhawk player in about 1972. B.M.'s remark was that this happened at about the time Danny Manning took over.

By my back-of-the-envelope estimate, Danny wasn't very long out of training pants when Carl Henry was a player.

Oh, Brother!

Hawk in Va

trueblue9 10 years, 2 months ago

Did Kentucky do their jersey shopping in the little boys department? Wall is pretty talented, but I can't help but think "I bet this kid can't read" every time I see him.

Jim Pendleton 10 years, 2 months ago

Hat trick time against the kitties today. Rock Chalk!!

Dan Harris 10 years, 2 months ago

Just curious, win or lose today does anybody have an idea as to whether we have the Midwest bracket locked up or can craptucky steal it away?

trueblue9 10 years, 2 months ago

Dan, I would say TBD. With UK beating the snot out of Tenn and having another chance at a ranked opponent tomorrow (Vandy), I would not say that it is out of the question that they could get the STL spot if we lose. We have a lot more quality wins, but why take chances, finish it today and it should be ours. That said, they left me off the selection committee this year.

Kelly Hanrahan 10 years, 2 months ago

jayhawkjim80

"hawkva - I did not hear Musberger's comments, but I can tell you with certainty that Carl Henry's last season at KU was 82-83, year before Larry Brown arrived for 83-84 season. Danny then came in the year after that, which would have been in 84-85."

You are wrong - Carl Henry played for Larry Brown in the 83-84 season. In the post-season tournament championship game against Oklahoma (in KC), Larry switched to a box and 1 with Carl being the 1 After the game he indicated that the team had never practiced the box and 1 and gave credit to Ted Owens as the players told him in a time out huddle that they knew how to play it because Owens had practiced it with them the prior year.

Carl Henry was the leading scorer for KU in Brown's first year of 83-84. Starters for that team were Carl Henry (Sr), Kelly Knight (Sr), Calvin Thompson (So), Greg Dreiling (So), and Ron Kellogg (So). All were players coached by Owens the previous year (Dreiling practiced with the team but was sitting out the 82-83 season as he transferred from Wichita State).

I hope you are better informed next time you post something "with certainty".

hawk316 10 years, 2 months ago

Maxhawk, it takes a big man to admit he was wrong. I am a bit surprised that it has taken you this long to fully appreciate Coach Self, however. Like you and unlike some who post on this site, I am not a Roy Williams hater. To the contrary, I believe we owe Williams our sincere gratitude for what he did for KU basketball during his tenure. His record was outstanding at KU, and under his leadership the program maintained a place of prominence year after year. Sure, he left under less than ideal circumstances, but people need to get over it.

Besides, his departure made possible the arrival of Mr. Self, perhaps the best basketball coach in the nation. We are truly blessed to now have this man at the helm.

Mike Kendall 10 years, 2 months ago

Good luck, Jayhawks! Coach Self---Congrats on your 200th win at KU. Great accomplishment!!!!

Dan Harris 10 years, 2 months ago

Anybody watching the offensive explosion by the Boilermakers? 4 points with 7 min till halftime ,unbelievable show of power! LOL

Mike Kendall 10 years, 2 months ago

Yea, 42--- I am really Pullen for the Gophers. I am NOT Pullen for the Wildcats!

Sorry for the misspellings.