Saturday, March 13, 2010

Keegan

Note to ’Cats: Don’t get ‘chippy’

Kansas basketball bound for Big 12 title game

The Kansas men's basketball team is headed for the Big 12 Championship after dispatching Texas A&M, thanks to a 21-1 run.

Audio clips

2010 KU-A&M

— We’ll find out how smart a basketball team Kansas State is tonight in the Big 12 tournament finals in Sprint Center.

If the Kansas State players talk sparingly to Kansas University senior guard Sherron Collins and in those instances shower him with compliments, then they’re not only talented, but extremely wise as well.

Smart: “My, Mr. Collins, that is one terrific crossover you have.”

Dumb: “You can’t guard me.”

Smart: “Did I mention I think you should be first-team All-American?”

Dumb: “How much weight have you put on?”

Breathe on Collins the wrong way, and he’ll twist it into a slight, and when he does that he’ll reach down your throat, grab your heart, rip it out, stomp on it and laugh at everyone who had the unmitigated gall to hope it still has a few beats left in it.

During the second half of a 79-66 Kansas victory against a Texas A&M team that held a three-point lead at the half, the game developed a street-fight vibe filled with trash-talk, on-purpose accidental bumps, threatening glares, healthy hatred. In other words, it became Sherron’s playground.

From where did all this animosity stem?

“I think it was when they got chippy, pretty much that was it,” Collins said. “They got chippy first. Nobody was doing anything on our side to egg them on. It was something they started.”

If that’s the case, A&M’s not a very smart team. Then again, if the Aggies hadn’t said anything, Collins would have invented a reason to hear something he didn’t like. He plays best when he convinces himself he has been disrespected.

“We knew it was going to be a little chippy,” Collins said. “That’s what good teams do. That played right into my hands. That happened to me all the time in high school, so I like things like that.”

Asked specifically what started the commotion, Collins didn’t sound too sure.

“I really didn’t see it,” he said. “I think it started with Cole (Aldrich) and (Bryan) Davis. I really don’t know.”

He didn’t have to know. The fight was on, and he wasn’t going to let his side lose. He penetrated with a vengeance, set up Tryel Reed and Brady Morningstar for three-pointers, hit one of his own, and then went to work on making sure Xavier Henry felt included. That worked, too.

Collins changed the tone of the game, led his team on a 21-2 run and had 26 points, six assists and just one turnover to show for it.

Just as everyone in blue — which at that point was pretty much everyone in the arena — was trying to put a finger on just what was dragging the nation’s No. 1 team down an unimpressive one-and-a-half games into the conference tourney, Collins turned on the jets.

“We’re trying to get rid of those gears and stay in one gear,” Collins said. “Today we tried hard. We were just playing dumb. ... We had some defensive breakdowns. Once we got those out of the way, we were fine.”

And once he got the Aggies out of the way, he sent an exclamation point the way of a fan who had been taunting him for two nights. He put his hand to his forehead and pulled it way emphatically.

“She was jaw-jacking at me,” Collins said. “I don’t know if it was one of the player’s mother or just an A&M fan, but she was pretty rude to me, so I saluted her.”

She really should have known better. Collins will take his motivating slights wherever he can find them. Even in the stands.

Comments

gardenjay 4 years, 6 months ago

Keegan, what is the point in being so anatomically graphic with your metaphors?

docileboy 4 years, 6 months ago

If Collins could hear the spit Bob Knight is talking it wouldn't take him as long to get fired up. I liked Knight as a coach, but getting to the point I can't stand him as a color man, or whatever he is suposed to be.

KCinNC 4 years, 6 months ago

Sorry ladies, but Knight is a stupid old man. So is the fool up there who says Collins is a punk. Basketaball is not a gentleman's game. It's more like boxing than golf. If you don't want players who have the attitude then you don't want to win.

Clarence Haynes 4 years, 6 months ago

history_of_violations......What was that statement about?

dynamitehawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Sherron: Please read this right before the game:

You are a silly little girl, who would have been a much better ballerina than a point guard.

Rock Chalk and bring home some hardware!

illuminatironin 4 years, 6 months ago

gardenjay: Reporters are supposed to paint pictures with words.... HOV: Collins isn't a punk he was just backing up his boys. Now Davis, Davis is a punk and a whiner.

theajayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

I can see why some listners would not w ant to hear Coach Knight. BUt he does make sense. On Sherron, he said he took some ill advised shots where he was not set and missed. Imagine how unbelievable we could be if we didn't have some of those wasted offensive trips. Such trips easily equate to 10 points per game.

CRIMSONnBLUE 4 years, 6 months ago

Or you could all stop diverting your attention to such non-sense and focus on the game itself. I didn't see anyone throwing punches and there was hardly any pushing and shoving. Collins has his heart committed to this team and that's something that a lot of NBA bound players lack these days. He leads by example not by saying a few encouraging words in the huddle. Although I'm sure he still says a when HCBS is done. When Collins starts taking over the game it provides that spark for the rest of the team that makes them forget about their poor start and just start playing to win. You can speculate all you want beyond that but the bottom line is Sherron Collins is the winning-est player in KU history, he's one hell of a basketball player and he knows how to get his team to respond.

CRIMSONnBLUE 4 years, 6 months ago

^^^Correction "I'm sure he still says a few..."

Doug Merrill 4 years, 6 months ago

CRIMSONnBLUE Right on. Sherron is the best attitude-player we have ever had, and is the best winner. Whether or not it is the end of the NC game and we need someone to get the ball down court, not get fouled and get it to one of the shooters, or we are down 6 and playing like we don't care, he gets the job done.

In 46 years of watching KU players, I can say that there have been better shooters, better dribblers and better passers, but there has never been a player who is more fun to watch and more clearly in love with what he is doing, and to whom I would trust the team in a pinch. That is why HCBS says he is the best guard in the country.

NH_JHawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Sherron was spot on. It did play right into his hands once the game got chippy. Notice from that point forward the game got away from Tx A&M. Even Turg was losing it for a while. Sherron got into their head just like the night before when Tx A&M got into Damion James's head. Let's hope tonight Denise Clementine decides to get chippy. If that's the case, HCBS will have his 4th B12 tourney championship. Rock Chalk!

Lance Hobson 4 years, 6 months ago

The guy is a winner. I actually doubt he needs motivation from being provoked but I suppose it doesn't hurt.

jayhawk1866 4 years, 6 months ago

It is hard for me to believe that anybody on this site still doubts Sherron Collins. We are blessed to have been able to watch him for the last 4 years. And he is arguably the greatest Jayhawk ever. I can see how some don't like Bobby Knight; however, Bobby is a wealth of knowledge to which I enjoy listening. It is hard to dispute his credientials.

KGphoto 4 years, 6 months ago

Nice job Keeg party. I've never seen you so emotional. But you left out the point at which his fuse was lit. It was during the first little skirmish under the basket that resulted in the double tech. An Agg laid his mitts on Sherron in a semi-threatening manner and Collins' expression went from "let's play ball" to "I will kill you MFr". You're right. He was frustrated and angry and just looking for a reason. He'd been the cooler so many times, but it's March of his senior season and he ain't having it.

In four years I've believed, but never seen, the kind of inner city toughness that Sherron showed in that instant. First I was a little scared from my couch. But then my inner monologue started talking smack and I found myself playing out a bench clearing brawl ending badly for AM.

And I liked it.

Coach liked it too. No matter what he may say in a post game interview, Bill likes his teams like this. That's why he goes to Chicago and Philly and New York to find his guys. He likes to be the cool, calm intimidator. Perhaps tonight when they introduce the starting lineup, they should play a little Jim Croce.

You don't tug on Superman's cape You don't spit into the wind You don't pull the mask on the Lone Lone Ranger and You don't mess around with Slim

kennethst 4 years, 6 months ago

Yes....this is what I think is so great about Collins....he's awesome.

And lets not forget Henry's contribution with the 3's last night!

BMonstaC 4 years, 6 months ago

Hey history of violations, By the sound of that handle you must be a Coach Cal fan. Calling Sherron a punk? Nice. I'll tell you what----he came from an environment where he could've easily become one. Instead he chooses KU, and becomes one of the winningest players in KU and CBB history. He's a great Dad and he's going to graduate. His story is everything that's right about this college game. Go wave your history of violations flag down in horse country. Sherron's a player, a winner, and more importantly, he's a leader.

Steve Brown 4 years, 6 months ago

Sharron you are over rated, take ill advised shots, drive into crowded lanes, not even top 4 guard in B12 much less All America, you are selfish and over weight & I love you.

now go rip their hearts out......

Keegs can we chip in and fund that mouthy mother to front row seats in OKC StL INDY, bring her along...

Steve Brown 4 years, 6 months ago

History: declare your colors:

UMass Memphis Contucky

jpmusic76 4 years, 6 months ago

Great words, Dougmd! I am going to enjoy every minute of the (hopefully) seven games we have left! There will never be anyone like Sherron again. Sherron is more important to us than whoever wins POY.

docileboy 4 years, 6 months ago

To all you Bob Knight fans; just because he was a Hall of Fame coach, that doesn't make him a Hall of Fame color man. I think he has lost touch with reality, if I were the KU coach, players, I would tell them to go interview their pet Losers after the game.

Danny Hernandez 4 years, 6 months ago

At least no one will ever call the Jayhawks soft again...I can remember Roy's teams getting beat up by tougher and less talented teams because they couldn't take the hit to the mouth.....Now, try it and you'll get blasted by the scoreboard... That's what I like about Self's teams...they can play basketball and don't back down and will hit you in the mouth if you try to out-tough them...

nobody1793 4 years, 6 months ago

Bobby Knight might not be great, but I'll take him over Clark Kellogg, Bill Raftery, Dick Vitale, Len Elmore, or "I'm Jim Valvano's Brother" guy. They're all much much worse. Seriously, if they were all so insightful, they'd be (still) coaching.

docileboy 4 years, 6 months ago

It's like the more obnoxious you are, the better chance you have to work for ESPN.

Lindsey Buscher 4 years, 6 months ago

cmon, with a moniker like "history_of_violations" it's got to be a jealous little KSUck troll. And speaking of punks, i don't seem to recall Collins or any Jayhawk smacking their opponents upside the head simply for boxing out on a free throw. That's only the type of thing a punkass player like Clemente would do.

SDSurferFan 4 years, 6 months ago

Random takes....

1. Knight. He tells it like it is. I think he is quick to get on Collins about bad decisions, but actually praised him a few times last night. Knight is really good at recognizing players making bad decisions. He preaches not settling for a bad shot. I can't argue that. (Other side of my mouth- I am sure he is not a fan of tattooed smack talking bball players. Times have changed and he doesn't like it).

2. Robinson. The dude is freakishly athletic, but is a train wreck. I guess it has to do with depth in the front court vs the back court, but it's hard to believe he gets minutes. I know he is work in progress, but so it EJ and he plays more soundly when he is in the game. 2011-12 will be his year.

3. TT. Without a question our best penetrator. If he continues on uptick and makes smart decisions this team is unbeatable. He seems to be defending a lot better. I also think he gets a bad rap, because he has a little Jersey swagger/attitude about him. He just has that look and acts that way.....when you get over that he's reallllly good. Knight said, "that is a really/very good basketball player."

4. Cole. HCBS seems to be in his dish the last couple of games. Since Cole is Cole, he doesn't get the harsh criticism from anyone, but dude....step up, the coach shouldn't be yelling at you this much at this point in your career.

5. SDSU. I am a grad from SDSU. Stoked to see them beat NMex last night. Does that get them in? Please..... (I'm a KU fan by pedigree....long family ties to Lawrence).

6. Selection Sunday. Kids and wife are not allowed in the house from 3-6. Food, wine, beer, laptops, tivo, other stuff......My favorite day of the year.

Funhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Sounds like the biggest trash talker in the games has been the woman in the stands.

history_of_violations 4 years, 6 months ago

Collins is a punk. He should have been T-ed up last night and he was one of the players in the fight with the football team. Real classy stuff. He fits right in with the entire classy organization, along with this teammate that shoots lady's with bbguns (what was that about?) and a university that has had an NCAA violation each decade since the 50's except the 90's.

SDSurferFan 4 years, 6 months ago

history of violations....go away...UK fan.

Glad to see you have a computer, hopefully your trailer has a good dial up connection. Now.... go to the I-N-T-E-R-N-E-T and GOOGLE... UK basketball history of violations and try to read what it says.

Also, google punk/Demarcus Cousins...and try to read what it says.

docileboy 4 years, 6 months ago

"Woman in the stands", player of the game last night. "history-of-violations maybe player of the game today? Wait maybe they are one and the same, or they both are all mouth.

Michael Auchard 4 years, 6 months ago

Only a Kentucky or Memphis fan would have a name like history_of_violations. They seem to forget that Kentucky is the only bball program ever to have the "death penalty" assessed to them for gross misconduct and Memphis... well, we all know about Memphis' story.

Guaranteed this dude's from one of those vipers' dens.

history_of_violations 4 years, 6 months ago

SDSurferFan, you think I'm a UK fan? Wow. UK is scuzzy too. Especially with the new slime ball at coach and that punk Demarcus Cousins. But you should think that slimeball for leaving memphis and giving you Xavier for a year. Now Xavier is good and not a punk, I have no problems with him. What I said is true about KU and I am NOT a UK fan.

history_of_violations 4 years, 6 months ago

Wow great deductions, Yahweh. WRONG! :)

addlime 4 years, 6 months ago

I gotta disagree with a lot of you about Bob Knight. I never liked him as a person, I respected him as a coach, and like him or not, he does try to tell it like it is from a coach's perspective. His commentary is exactly what he is thinking when he's on the sideline coaching. He's not trying to analyze the game as much as he is explaining what he would do to coach up the kids on the court. I think its a different, and enjoyable perspective. He's wrong sometimes, but not as much as one would think. If nothing else, he's entertaining. At one point yesterday, he said that players (in this case Cole) need to catch, LOOK, pass. In that order. Later in the game he was complimenting somebody (Morris twin maybe) for just catching and passing, without looking. He thought it was great that the player knew where the other player would be without looking first. Which is it, Coach Knight? (don't call him Bob, remember!?) Had me laughing out loud...

SDSurferFan 4 years, 6 months ago

Agree addlime. I like Knights approach. KU fans take offense easily, which is fine. The same posters that criticize Knight for criticizing KU players, also criticize those same players.

history of violations...explain yourself, i'm curious.

SaltyJayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

it doesn't matter who history of violations is a fan of. it's clear that his team is so bad that instead of being on their site talking about his own team, he has to come on here to talk trash on us just to make himself feel better. so just go away and let us talk about our team. your just jealous you don't have The Sherron Collins on your team.

Michael Auchard 4 years, 6 months ago

How can Yahweh be wrong? That's blasphemous!

manhattanhawkfan 4 years, 6 months ago

My money is on HOV being a Ksu fan. Living in manhattan, you'd be amazed at how they are hardly fans of their own team- it's all about tearing down the accomplishments of other teams. Not a day of work goes by without someone talking about ku NCAA violations. They make ku-ksu games into a competition of sinners against saints. A uk fan might not be dumb enough, but a ksu fan is more than ignorant enough. :)

history_of_violations 4 years, 6 months ago

Purple Pride. I am just stating the facts. I'm not trying to tear down your team. I'm not trying to make it sinners v. saints but I can hold my head high about who my program is on and off the court. Good day and good luck tonight to the ol' Crimson and Blue. Hope it is a good one.

kufan75 4 years, 6 months ago

Just my opinion, I like Bob Knight. He sees all the things that people who have been around bball for 40 plus years see. I think that when your 'star' player is playing out of control its not a sin to sit him for a couple of minutes to get his focus back. When you are as competitive as Colllins thats what will get your attention.

Dan Harris 4 years, 6 months ago

History-of-violations- 1st time to these boards? HMMMMMMM? Here kitty kitty kitty- come and get your 3rd beat down of the year!!!!

kcgridiron 4 years, 6 months ago

Purple is for princesses and prom queens...Note to HOV: high is right...lay off the k2

jayhawkfans2005 4 years, 6 months ago

Why do KSU fans come to a jayhawk message board. History-of-violations has got to be a kitty fan to call one of the greatest players in ku history a punk, or he is jealous that he is nothing even close to the man collins is. Maybe he should be thinking about the 3rd beat down k-state is going get tonight instead of worrying about collins. GO Jayhawks Rock Chalk.

Dan Harris 4 years, 6 months ago

Saltyjayhawk- I've always meant to ask you. Are you Hutch trash?

jaybate 4 years, 6 months ago

history_of_violations,

SDSurferFan,

Thanks for the assists on HOV and congrats on your Larry ties, but your insights about Cole and generally about KU players overlook one thing: 31-2. Also, if you're an SDSU fan, just make sure Fisher is not looking the other way, while the local mob bookie is feathering his players, as apparently happened in Motown with the Fab Five. Fish was Frieder's assistant, and apples don't fall far from trees, even in Julian, don't'cha know? Finally, when you root for KU, put on a little extra Sex Wax on the short board for Jayhawk nation. Toe grip is everything. :-)

history_of_violations,

I like digitally slapping lurking iPunks like you around before a game. It gets me up on a mental edge to root the j-hawks on.

So: slug juice, what gives wich u?

With an alias like that u can only come from Stillsville, Contucky. Inference, u've got a brain the size of a neutrino, u little urine-based life form.

R u still wich me?

I'm mis-spelling things soze a functional degenerate like ur self can read it phonetically.

Now, disappear from this web site, before we decide to beat Cal senseless with his mouse bottle and flush your scumbag team full of no SAT guys by 40 instead of 30 points.

There. I'm ready for today's game. Thanks HOV, for standing there like a masochist and taking it.

Next.

Dan Harris 4 years, 6 months ago

jaybate - "You are an enema bag in a diarrhea ward...unnecessary. But I'm not tryin' to tear you down, dude. :-)" awsome lmao

You know I was just giving you a friendly dig on your length of posts,truce?

"

waywardJay 4 years, 6 months ago

For those of you who are hockey informed, I'm going to compare Sherron to a a hybrid

Sherron = Sean Avery + Patrick Marleau.

He has Sean Avery's toughness and grit.... Anyone who doubt's Avery's tenacity should google him and Martin Broduer.....

He has Marleau's toughness as well.... phsyical and tempered.... he doesn't erupt unless physically provoked ( then he goes AVery ) and is equally adept at getting his teammates involved and simply saying IT'S MY TIME.

Simply put, I think in alot of ways Sherron turns Basketball INTO a Hockey Game when he's at his best... Physical, determined and willing to play at both ends.....

There are alot of fans that dislike Avery, but every teammate and fan wants him on their side.... There's alot of people who Fear Patrick Marleau, but respect him for the classy way he plays most of the time..... This to a tee is sherron collins....

jaybate 4 years, 6 months ago

jhawkdan42,

We are brothers of the blue.

dynamitehawk 4 years, 6 months ago

HoV,

I just set up an ID on your site. It's called History_of _Getting_Bent_Over_By_Your_Superior_Neighbors_to_the_East. Will you please friend me, so I can get some credibility?

Thanks,

dynamite

Chad Hallack 4 years, 6 months ago

"enema bag in a diarrhea ward" I'm still chuckling!

Dan Harris 4 years, 6 months ago

Ribs are smoking,the goose is flowing, it's almost puddycat time!

Mike Kendall 4 years, 6 months ago

Just when I want to respond to HOV, Jaybate is there for the rescue, thank you very much! Jaybate -- you are so eloquent in your speech. My new revised policies--- ignore all negative posts and posts from others who are from other teams who talk smack. Speaking of smack--- the dynamic duo is already talking smack, especially, that Pullen dude. He told ESPN's Holly Rowe, "KU already celebrated their trophy (I assuming he is talking about Sherron's Senior Night win)---now, it's time to celebrate our trophy today!"

Sherron--- Are you listening to this crap? Really? That is enough to motivate me! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

ku_foaf 4 years, 6 months ago

I don't agree with the Knight haters. I think he the best thing to happen to CBB coverage since Al Maguire. He speaks from a coach's perspective, not a color man or a journalist. He gives credit when credit is due, and he very aptly points out mental mistakes. If you haven't noticed, it is the mental mistakes that really bug him! He was controversial, sucessful, a disciplinarian, and sometimes a jerk as a coach. As an announcer, he is currently the best and I love listening to him. If you listen to him, you will learn something. I loved his comment that he never liked the "rock chalk" chant - he said he heard it too much! Williams had an excellent record against him and we beat some really good IU teams.