Saturday, March 13, 2010

Ags OK with Collins

A&M not dwelling on dustups

Kansas guard Sherron Collins is all smiles heading back to the huddle during a timeout against Texas A&M in the second half on March 12 in Kansas City, Mo.

Kansas basketball bound for Big 12 title game

The Kansas men's basketball team is headed for the Big 12 Championship after dispatching Texas A&M, thanks to a 21-1 run.

Audio clips

2010 KU-A&M

— With tempers flaring in the second half, Texas A&M;’s Donald Sloan said he and Kansas University’s Sherron Collins shared a brief conversation on the court.

“I’ve got them. I’ve got them,” Sloan said, referring to his teammates.

“OK, I’ve got mine,” Collins answered. “We got it. Let’s keep playing.”

The two team leaders wanted to make sure things didn’t escalate during KU’s 79-66 victory over Texas A&M; on Friday night.

“There were no more problems after that,” Sloan said. “We were good.”

That wasn’t always the case in the second half, as players from both teams had to be separated by officials twice during separate incidents.

Texas A&M; forward Bryan Davis said one of the scuffles started when he and Collins bumped each other when heading back to their respective benches.

“When you get in the heat of the battle of the game, it’s nothing personal,” Davis said. “You just want to do everything you can do for your team.”

Though Collins seemed to be involved in a lot of the dustups between the two teams, Sloan didn’t think that the KU senior was out of line.

“Guys being guys. Toughness. That’s how it is, especially when it comes to my guys,” Sloan said. “Nobody’s going to get punched. Nobody’s going to push us. Nobody’s going to do things that they probably do to other teams that probably don’t care. We’re men in here.”

A&M; forward David Loubeau also didn’t have a problem with Collins’ actions.

“Collins knows how to handle himself. He just got caught in the moment,” Loubeau said. “He’s just being really emotional and really competitive.”

During the second incident, Davis and Kansas’ Markieff Morris both picked up technical fouls.

Texas A&M; coach Mark Turgeon believed the officials were just trying to clean things up.

“They should have got in there sooner. I’m the one that alerted the ref to it. The other ref was just standing there,” Turgeon said. “They should have got in there sooner. They shouldn’t have called double-technicals, but they did. They should have just separated them.

“It’s just two guys trying to be tough. It really didn’t affect the game at all.”

When Collins checked out for the last time, it appeared that he might have said something in the direction of the A&M; bench.

Whatever the message was, Davis said it definitely wasn’t directed at Texas A&M.;

“He definitely wasn’t looking at our bench. He was looking at someone behind the bench,” Davis said. “He wasn’t talking to us at all.”

Comments

Deb Stavin 9 years, 10 months ago

Oh, really? Abandon hope, all ye who insult Collins!

Clarence Haynes 9 years, 10 months ago

Sherron was the man. He hit the big shots, dished out the dimes, and played big time D. Moreover, he did not take any nonsense from the Aggies. I thought that it was one of his best performances.

swjhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Every time I see Mark Turgeon agitated on the sidelines, I immediately flash back to him as a player. He's doing a great job in College Station, not an easy place to recruit basketball players to attend. I'm also struck by how the four Texas entrants to the Big 12 have become "basketball schools" in addition to their already entrenched football programs (Baylor excluded as to football). Last, every team in the North got better this year (with the exception of snakebit Iowa State's injuries and defection). What a great tournament. Sick and embedded on the sofa, I watched all the games. RCJHKU

Lance Hobson 9 years, 10 months ago

Actually Baylor could be included as a football school if you look at their entire history. In the past football was their thing. Heck, Mike Singletary went there.

Steve Gantz 9 years, 10 months ago

I loved this story, seeing two guys get their teams under control like that. I didn't see it (I was at the KU baseball game!) but reading that made my morning.
Anthonyzal, I don't have the knowledge of Turg that you have but it disappoints me as he was so much fun to watch when I was at KU. I kind of hope somehow he rubs you the wrong way but isn't really as bad as you portray him to be.

Steve Gantz 9 years, 10 months ago

soobawls runs down this team all the time, but then calls anthonyzal's assertion as false.

kennethst 9 years, 10 months ago

PS-Tonight will be a great game. I think I had better get mentally prepared to see K-State hit several 3's. I hate it but it will probably happen.

But teams seem to have trouble playing the entire 40 min vs KU.

We will win.

Steve Brown 9 years, 10 months ago

expecting plenty of AtM and Baylor tix on the streets tonight, so if you are in driving distance bring Crimson & Blue to Sprint Center, keep the extra seats away from the Purple Cannonball.

Chad Sandwell 9 years, 10 months ago

to beat k-state easily.....go triangle and 2 from the start....they had no answer for that in lawrence...and someone get some stickem for Cole....The last time I saw so many fumbled entry passes was during the Chenowith years!

goshenjhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

anthonyzal, smart money says soobawls was disagreeing with the second half of your statement, not the first. I'm quite certain Sue doesn't think this team is tough and poised when they need to be.

Chad Hallack 9 years, 10 months ago

Can anyone give me a website that will stream the game? Have a friend overseas who wants to watch...

JhawkHoopsCrzy 9 years, 10 months ago

This team is every bit as talented as 08 and their toughness is all about Sheron. They haven't quite reached the finesse of the 08 squad, but who likes a team that peaks early? These guys are right on time. Bring home the hardware today Sheron -- in the ALL KANSAS BIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIP! Eat it tobacco road.

Alec White 9 years, 10 months ago

TheShot122293 9 years, 10 months ago

4caster, I agree with everything you said except invoking Chenowith's name in reference to Cole's fumbled passes. Cole could never catch another pass and still not deserve that!

goshenjhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Hallacek, looks like it will be on at www.channelsurfing.net You just have to scroll down to where it lists the Big 12 Championship and click on that link. Also it is almost guaranteed to be broadcast somewhere on www.justin.tv Hope your friend can find it. RCJGKU

jaybate 9 years, 10 months ago

Here's what my late, beloved father, a man who had been in combat as a 2 louie, a lieutenant, and a captain, and retired a Major in the old Marine Corps (WWII to be specific), always said about going to war:

"Never go to war without the best warrant officers."

[Note: In his time, a warrant officer was the highest rank of enlisted men designating the best sergeants with the most experience and expertise in various aspects of operating weaponry and logistics and, basically running the Marine Corp, itself, on a day to day basis. Today, I have read they are increasingly just specially trained technicians that may or may not have loads of experience in and out of combat].

"The warrant officers," he said, "are the only ones that actually know how to run anything and organize to fight anyone. Give them the best training, weapons and support and they win wars for you. The job of an officer is just to know that, to listen to the older, smarter warrant officers, to not be a coward, and to put the warrant officers and their sergeants in the most advantageous situations to do what they do. They win battles and wars. Everything else is bullsh!t."

I was never sure I entirely agreed with my father's reductive tendencies, but he lived and many other "officers" were either shot by the enemy, or by their own men (yes, they do that occasionally in the military, when officers are possessed of more gung-ho than how-to), so I have to at least lean in his direction on this one. :-)

I believe Sherron would be my pick for my warrant officer in the old sense of the rank. Probably Cole, too.

I used to call Sherron "The Sarge."

He deserves a promotion. Now its "Chief Warrant Officer."

And, yes, he could be a great coach/officer some day.

He proves again and again that he can inspire fellow players, not just with his remarkable play, but with his competitive fire, his sweetness, his ferocity, and his fearless leadership in the face of adversity. These are attributes of most great leaders.

He could one day become the Indiana-Rubber-Man-become-coach of his generation.

He is that special.

Rock Chalk!

Hallacek,

Here is the one I used yesterday until ESPN 360 started feeding the game. It is not very good quality, but something is better than nothing, if your pal cannot get ESPN360.

Andy Hess 9 years, 10 months ago

Big surprise John Higgins called the T's on the guys. He's always gotta inject himself in every situation, like he's looking for more time on camera. That bonehead is one of the worst officials in the NCAA.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 10 months ago

I think you misunderstood Soobawls' point .. I believe he was disagreeing with anthonyzal's claim that this team, in comparison to the '08 team, is "every bit as tough and poised when they need to be." I don't think he was disagreeing with the point about this team not being as flashy as the '08 team (which is an obvious point).

I would say that this team is lazy, lacks focus, and is complacent .. at times. Then (another obvious point) they turn it on. This is a very dangerous characteristic heading into the tournament. You an count me among the surprised if they reach the Final Four. This type of team is ripe for the tournament upset beginning with the 1 vs. 8/9 game.

It will be interesting to see if the team has a different focus come the NCAA tournament.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 10 months ago

Rock_Chalk_25: That, while funny, is going to get you a usage violation I'm sure.

hawkson 9 years, 10 months ago

Back to the article....Watching the game, I was certain Turg saw his squad letting the game slip away and had to do something. He was clearly trying to get into Collins' head. It looked like he addressed SC directly at least twice. Can't blame him for trying. His team had lost all of their juice. He looked like he should have been wearing his Hayden or KU jersey barking at foes like the "chickenhawkish" (of cartoon fame) character he sometimes was as a player. Made me long for the old days....KU as a re-emgergent power, light on depth "having" to give the keys to guys like Turg. Cool.

This week has been good stuff. The Big XII is really compelling.

jaybate 9 years, 10 months ago

"Sat. AM B4 KU-KSU Contemplating Consistency, Trifectation and a Gunfight at the Sprint Center Corral:"

} Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds. I have always loved that quote. It reminds me always that consistency has many dimensions and global consistency is the true hobgoblin of small minds. By this I mean, being consistent in everything is a mad, quixotic pursuit. The goal is to be consistent in certain crucial things, but to remember that life and the game are dynamical and that aspects of context (i.e., match-ups, style of play, etc.) change and what can be acheived one game cannot be achieved the next as match-ups and style of opponent's play vary game to game. Seeking consistency in TOs in both a game against team playing the Princeton system and another game playing 40 Minutes of Hell (Mike Anderson's MU teams) can be a fool's quest. Seeking the same post production out of Cole against a team with a great center and a team with a lousy center is a fool's quest. And so on.

Many this year, not the least of whom being Bill Self, have hand wrung about consistency. When they do this, I am always stunned that they overlook this 2010 team's most obvious act of consistency: 31-2.

Now which dimension of consistency would you rather be more "consistent" at? Shooting percentage or 31-2? RPG or 31-2? TOs or 31-2? Steals and blocks or 31-2?

As I understand it, the score is still kept and the object of the game is to finish with the most points as often as possible.

Winning remains the preferred measure of consistency.

jaybate 9 years, 10 months ago

} Bulletin--Tyshawn Taylor has just joined the 40% trey shooting club!!!!! If he keeps shooting 40%. If he keeps this up, he is an NBA first round draft choice next season, maybe even this season. If he keeps this up, Tyshawn will be almost unstoppable from here on out. In one or two more games, opposing coaches will start telling their defenders not to keep leaving him open at the stripe. When that happens, Tyshawn's lightening speed will quickly transform him into a 15ppg guy again and he will most definitely have break out games of 20 points plus as happened occassionally last season.

} Is KU turning into the greatest 3 Pt shooting team in history? KU has Sherron at 39% and surging toward the magic 40% standard from his slump, plus Xavier, Tyshawn, Brady, Tyrel (45%) and Markieff Morris (55%) all at 40% or higher from trey. Let me put it this way: KU is 6 deep in 40% trinitizers right now. Let me put it another way: Dook can't shoot its way out of a paper bag compared to this team. Let me put it yet another way: no other team in college basketball history that I can recall has had six bonafide 40% trey shooters!!!!!!!!

} Back to Quantum T for a moment--Tyshawn as a 40% trifectator is manna from heaven for Bill Self and this KU team. TT potting the triceratop at 40% completely eliminates the need for Sherron to be on the wing. It means that Self can leave Tyshawn on the wing where his dribble drive to the rim is essentially unguardable by any living guard on the planet that has to come out and guard TT at the trey stripe. Quantum T finding the range from 3, if he can sustain it, just takes KU to another level entirely. Think about this: KU is 31-2 with Tyshawn hamstrung for most of the season. With Tyshawn at maximum game, I could see this team winning the Madness in a waltz...if no other injuries, sicknesses, or massive slumps intervene.

jaybate 9 years, 10 months ago

} KU shoots 50% from trey against TTech and 55% from trey against TAM. I have never in my life wished for a bad shooting game from trey, and I can't quite bring myself to wish for same today, but, god, I would rather they shoot 25% tonight and lose to KSU, than shoot 25% against Cornell, Wofford, or Robert Morris, or Weber State, and lose in that first round of the Madness.

} Father Henry, and Mother Henry, your sons are shooting 42% (X) and 55% (CJ) from trey. What in god's name were you feeding your children all those years? I want to feed it to my son!!

} Tyrel Reed has entered a small shooting slump and he is still 45% from trey!

} KU vs. KSU with Self and Martin means one thing: a gunfight, where only the fools bring knives. And given that this game means a good seed, or a bad seed for KSU, it may mean only fools bring anything but assault rifles. KSU is a very tough match up for KU, even though KU has won the first two games. Why? K-State has size, strength and bounce at the 3, 4 and 5 positions that hamstrings our inside game, while on the outside KSU is the only team in the country that brings a guard in Denis Clemente that is actually faster than Tyshawn, or Sherron. Clemente is a great player who would be being wildly praised as one of the best guards in the country, maybe even the best, if he played for any top East Coast team. KU guards need have no fear whatsoever of John Wall after having played Clemente. On a good shooting night, Denis Clemente would eat John Wall for dinner and dessert. Clemente is that good. He's the fastest and quickest guard this season and second only to Sherron in how much pressure he puts on a defense the moment he crosses half court.

jaybate 9 years, 10 months ago

} In the second KU-KSU game, once KSU started zoning, Self finally had to go his short team of mad bombers--Sherron, Brady, Tyrel, Xavier and Kieff--to break KSU's momentum and shoot KU's way back into the game. This was the same thing Self had to do vs. TAM yesterday. But during today's Gunfight at the Sprint Center Corral, Martin will be prepared for Self's "short lineup of mad bombers" and should quickly go m2m on it and do so with some shorter defenders, then bounce back to zone and larger defenders as soon as Self shifts out of it. Both Martin and Mark Turgeon made the same mistake. Neither re-schemed the minute Self went to his short line-up of mad bombers. Neither coach will make this mistake again. Putting five 40% plus trey shooters on the floor that can all defend completely changes the kind of game unfolding and an opposing coach must respond defensively, or else. Standing pat against a nonlinear change in opposing strategy of this magnitude is always a recipe for defeat. Martin will respond, and I cannot believe that Self has another rabbit in his hat for today. So: given the way the refs swallowed their whistles against TAM, and the likelihood that KU's trey shooting will cool dramatically today after two straight 50% plus performances, and given that Martin will counter Self's short team of mad bombers instantly, this game is going to descend waaaaaay down into the muck of grind it out and stay there, maybe even down to trench warfare, unless KSU is just really, really hot and blows the game open early. The only thing preventing outright bloodshed on both sides will be both coaches desire to enter the Madness without injury. But the fact is that unlike KU, KSU would gain enough seeding advantage by a win today that taking an injury or two might be worth it to KSU. Look for KSU's lesser players to be doing some serious head hunting soon after the opening tip off. And once that starts look for KU to retaliate. And one that occurs, look for injuries to ensue. Probably KU's only hope to avoid injuries, is for the refs to surprise us all and call the fouls early and often. I hope I have misread the level of violence to expect, because I hate violent basketball with a passion. But this is a game for it, if ever there were one. Neutral floor. Refs swallowing their whistles. Asymmetry seeding benefits to both teams flowing from winning the game incentivizes one team more than the other to play violently. This leads to retaliation. Let's hope the refs saw what started to happen in the KU-TAM game and come to their moral senses and call the game more according to the rules.

jaybate 9 years, 10 months ago

} Did anyone else think that Turg crossed the line with his baiting of Sherron? I cannot be absolutely sure he was baiting Sherron. One had to be there to be absolutely sure, but it sure looked like it on the tube. And if things were as they appeared, IMHO he crossed a line he should not have. Was it clever? Maybe. Did it work? A little, but not much. Was Turg crossing the line of baiting opposing players, because he was mad about getting out maneuvered by Self starting with 9-10 minutes to go? Almost certainly. Turg needs to look in the mirror and say, "I made a mistake. I shouldn't have baited Sherron. I shouldn't have had my players bumping him and laying hands on him everywhere he went. I should have manned-up and trusted the excellence of my defensive schemes and my marvelous team that I have put together and I should have counter moved immediately against Self's short line-up of mad bombers. I am still a young coach learning and there is no shame in getting out maneuvered by a master, even if he is my age. Self has been a head coach longer and so knows a bit more. But I can get him the next time, because I figured out how to stop his bread and butter today. Next time I will stop that short line-up as soon as he shows it and I will beat him. No more baiting opposing players and no more contributing anger to on-court confrontations between teams." Turg is already an exceptional coach. If he will learn this lesson, it is only a matter of time before he is one of the greats. And did you notice how Self let Turg hang himself with the refs in that on-court encounter? The camera cut to Self a couple times and he was doing everything he could to hide on his bench and not get drawn into it, or prevent it. Turg goofed and Self let him just keep making things worse and worse for himself with the refs.

Rock Chalk!!!

Larry Smith 9 years, 10 months ago

The funny thing about Soobawls comments is that there were lots of people that said the same thing about that 07-08 squad. Not tough enough, no emotion, flat play etc.. How short our memories are. They went from Chumps to Champs to legends in a very short period of time.

The same people bitch and moan and complain every year regardless of the team or the performance.

kennethst 9 years, 10 months ago

Jaybate-

I'm hoping you will be online again tonight to get us through this game......to keep order and give inspiration! I may need it....I think KU will win......but I also think Clemente and Pullen will be hitting 3's all night. But as I said......teams don't seem to be able to compete the full 40 min against KU.

I enjoyed the story about your Dad. What great men they all were that fought in WWII. We owe them so much(everything, really). If you have not seen it already.....I would highly recommend "Band of Brothers".....I only recently saw all episodes together. It was great. I have also heard of a new series ...I think called "Pacific"? Looks good as well.

anthonyzal,

This is The Special Season, so expect the unexpected. :-)

And I am grateful we got to agree and for your admirable Kansas candor and open-minded fairness in saying so.

Expect the same from me. I will not let you down.

Rock Chalk!

Jack Wilson 9 years, 10 months ago

anthonyzal: First, just reading Soobawls' comments in context with everything else he has said on this website.

Next, don't question my loyalty to this university, or the team simply because I dare suggest a concern over their complacent play. That alone displays your complete ignorance (but that ignorance is prevalent among the cheerleaders around us). It is really silly to go into this tournament as a cheerleader. Been there too many times over the last 20+ years only to be disappointed. Faith has nothing to do with .. blind faith might.

30-2 isn't luck. I agree. But when you tread the line multiple times, walk on the edge over and over, the odds are against you. This team has continued to demonstrate a propensity for getting itself into bad spots against inferior teams (as well as the ability to get themselves out late .. and with just plain luck, see at Colorado, at KSU). However, it is one and done. One slip up and the whole season down the drain. This team has developed significant tendencies, and those were on full display over the past two games. It would be stupid, though to ignore the character of this team .. which is to fight back and do what needs to be done to win.

I felt much more comfortable with the 08 team heading into the tournament. Maybe stats don't bear that out. But this team seems to make everything difficult and that tendency concerns me (and with that, I guess I am disloyal as a Jayhawk, "can't be counted on", and "un-Sherron" -- whatever that means. Ask anthonyzal for more brilliant commentary).

LAJayhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

soobawls called for Coach Self to be fired in the middle of the 2008 season. Yes, that's the coach with the highest winning percentage in school history, fastest ever to 200 wins, and winner of 6 straight conference titles. She stated that he should be fired in the middle of his national championship year with the team with the most wins in NCAA history.

Yeah, probably best to ignore soobawls posts.

LAJayhawk,

Way to bring it!

I like soobawls spunk, but reality therapy is a must, too. :-)

Chad Hallack 9 years, 10 months ago

I posted this last night, but after reading some of these in here today I'll repost it for those who still don't seem to get it...

So what's up with all the "I don't think we can win it all so just enjoy it while it's here" talk? If anything, this game should reinforce our belief in our team and our coach and here's why... We sucked for most of the 1st half and the start of the 2nd. Our effort was good, but we did not play well. There were a lot of breakdowns. So I understand the cause for concern.

However, for as badly as we played the 1st half and the start of the 2nd we were never down by more than 7. Which is illustrates my point. That's how good we are. aTm is a really good team and will hurt people in the dance. We're just that good.

Anybody out east that saw the last 10 minutes of that game will bed down tonight with an uneasy feeling knowing that the best team in the nation isn't anywhere near the Atlantic Ocean or bluegrass for that matter. We sometimes lack energy and focus. We sometimes make bad decisions and mental mistakes but guess what? So does everybody else! We tend to play to the lever of the competition at times. We also play up to good competition and come crunch time we excell and when we're excelling we excell better than anybody else. And there is nobody in the country I would rather have with the ball in their hands and the game on the line than Sherron Collins.

I've watched a lot of games this year and I can objectively say that we ARE the prohibitive favorite to win it all. If we play our best ball we win by double digits no matter who the opponent is. Our great is greater than your great!

BTW Ohio St. and Illinois starting double OT... good game.

kennethst,

I share some angst about this game.

But the truth is: Self wants to run the table from here on out. He wants to join the ranks of the teams that have rings with only two losses. He wants for this team and he to be able to say they got better than the '08 team...at least in W&L. Its the only objective yard stick. It would mean a lot for this team and this coach to wind up with one less loss than the '08 team. It is the only way they will get the respect they deserve.

Then his next champion will have only one loss.

Then his next champion will go undefeated.

Get better.

The defense never rests.

Rock Chalk!

dynamitehawk 9 years, 10 months ago

I have liked soobawls since I read this quote from her:

"MU fans are typically imbecilic unemployables of questionable ancestry who support a drug and/or alcohol addiction with prostitution or by selling their children."

jaybate 9 years, 10 months ago

"But when you tread the line multiple times, walk on the edge over and over, the odds are against you."--HEM

I've got news for you: the odds are always against you...in everything anyone ever tries to do. The odds are against making a good movie. The odds are against having sex with a beautiful woman and then marrying her. The odds are against limiting out on Prairie Chicken. The odds are against America staying a global hegemond. The odds are against living forever.

But still all of us die trying.

The only teams that have a really high probability of winning a ring are teams that have all the pieces required, plus a great coach, plus a player who will one day be one of the 10 greatest players at his position of all time in the history of college basketball.

UCLA any year with Jabbar was as nearly certain to win a ring as any team that ever stepped on a court. One knew that because Jabbar was so clearly one of the greatest centers of all time even before he played a game of college basketball, and because he had a great coach with all the pieces.

jaybate 9 years, 10 months ago

But even Walton as a soph was not an absolute shoe in. By his junior and senior seasons, though, most knew, he was this kind of player blessed with a great coach and all the pieces.

USF was not so foreseeable, because Russell, even as great as he was, was not easily forecastable to be one of the ten greatest players at center of all time. His greatest qualities were not so easily quantifiable.

Wilt was such a player, but he was never blessed with such a coach, nor with all the pieces.

Magic Johnson was such a player, but no one really knew for sure going in if a guard without an outside shot (he lacked it at the time), even a 6'9" guard of incomparable ball handling skill and athleticism, could dominate a game against the best teams, so MSU and Magic were not slam dunk certainties either.

There just have been very few teams in NCAA history with a sharply higher probability of winning it all than the other 3-4 best teams in the tourney.

One team out of 64, unless it has all the pieces, a fine coach, and one of the ten best players of all times at a position, just isn't going to have a sharply higher probability of winning the tourney, than the 3-4 other best teams that year.

Self says it again and again: match-ups.

Wooden said it again and again: competitive greatness...being at your best when you need your best.

I like KU's chances this year slightly better than anyone elses.

But slightly is the operative word. I don't think their probability of winning is actually much more that just slightly higher than the other 3-4 top teams in the tourney.

And I don't think KU's problem lies in treading any line too closely that you refer to.

All of the 5-10 best teams can be said to have treaded the line too closely. In fact, most have treaded it so closely that each has anywhere from 1-5 more losses than KU.

So: if I were to buy the line treading argument, it would only make me think KU is even more likely to win it all. They've treaded it about the same amount as the other teams and have stepped over it fewer times.

But I don't buy it.

What KU lacks is a player who is comparable to Jabbar, or Walton.

Because KU lacks such a player, it has to hope and pray for, just as the '08 team had to hope and pray for, a tourney seeding, and a combination of wins and losses among other teams, that keeps producing teams for them to play that offer KU favorable match-up advantages.

Favorable match-ups and being at your best when you need your best are in most tourney's the deciding factors in who wins.

This year will be no different. There is no

Kelly Hanrahan 9 years, 10 months ago

jaybate & anthonyzal

You might want to re-watch the Turg incident. His post-game comments and the video support his contention that he was after the referee who was standing right there and did nothing. He is going past Collins and directly toward a referee to voice his concerns. I don't know what was said, but the video supports his stated position.

Having said that, I do think that the aTm players were a bit chippy in bumping/grabbing during the game. Players have memories, and things can escalate if officials don't control it from the get-go. Waiting until a flare-up and calling a double technical is an easy way out - better to have communication & control from the officials initially rather than after the fact. We don't know what, if anything, the officials said to the players/coaches prior to this incident.

The KU bench players showed their emotion by running out to greet the players when time was called - but if I was Turg, I would probably object to them coming that far out to my bench area during the time out.

duanep5ku 9 years, 10 months ago

OK' dynamitehawk If that was a soobawls post I would give he-she an A on that statement too,So soobawls great post and very funny

53jayhawk,

Good points all. Thanks for the added insight.

Question: it looked to me like Turg had been baiting Sherron as Sherron passed him for several minutes before the incident finally erupted. Do the tapes suggest I read that wrong, too? I like Turg a lot and consider him a fine, fine coach. If I saw it wrong, I would certainly be happy to be wrong.

Rock Chalk!

dyna,

Thanks for reposting that.

soobawls is not all bad and this quote should remind readers of it.

Wish I had written it. :-)

dynamitehawk 9 years, 10 months ago

jaybate - no worries. I think that we live in an 'LOL society that doesn't LOL nearly as much as it claims'. I can appreciate things that make you laugh when no one else is around. Example: jaybate says something about "a person who wishes he were aboriginal without roles in a complex society." dynamite goes: LOL.

Lone_salina_kufan 9 years, 10 months ago

Personally I think this year's tourney is a repeat of last year. Last year, UNC was said to be far and away the best team. After sleepwalking and playing down to a few people, all of the sudden came the "no dominant team" speak. They started their conference season off 0-2.
Compare that to this year.

1 in the polls lost 6 times last year before March 1st

This year.... 5 times. Less #1's have lost this year. But yet we here ESPeoN talk about how looking back, no one stood a chance against UNC, Hindsight 20/20 We will flip the switch in the tourny and not really be challenged. If we play our A game for 40 minutes, no team in the country competes! Have faith all