Friday, March 12, 2010

Jayhawks celebrate 2,000th victory

Kansas forward Xavier Henry extends as Texas Tech guard John Roberson passes to the wing during the second half Thursday at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

Feature

Kansas basketball: In pursuit of 2,000

KU’s men’s basketball program is approaching a major milestone. Keep an eye on their progress and look back at what got the Jayhawks there.

KU tops Tech, advances in Big 12

Kansas men's basketball team advanced past a resilient Texas Tech team Thursday afternoon in the Big 12 tournament.

Videos

2010 Big 12 Tournament at K.C. Power & Light

video thumbnail

Fansfrom all over root for their teams at Kansas City Power and Light District's Live Block.

Audio clips

2010 KU-TTU

— Cole Aldrich and Sherron Collins exited a Sprint Center locker room wearing what’s sure to soon be a popular item on sale at your favorite bookstore.

“Pretty cool,” Aldrich said, pointing to his new “Kansas 2,000 Victories: 1898-2010” basketball T-shirt.

“I really like the ‘2KU,’’’ Aldrich added of an abbreviation of the Kansas University milestone printed at the bottom of the blue shirt.

The Jayhawks, who had said little to nothing about the school’s pursuit of victory No. 2,000 during the 2009-10 regular season, expressed pride after surviving Texas Tech, 80-68, in Thursday’s first-round Big 12 tournament contest.

The win was KU’s 2,000th against 795 defeats.

“I think everybody contributed to this — our current players, a number of guys who came before us, and guys who will continue on after us,” KU junior center Aldrich said after grabbing 18 rebounds and scoring 12 points.

“We’re just happy to be at KU and playing ball at what we feel is the best basketball school ever.”

The Jayhawks, who advanced to today’s 6 p.m., semifinal meeting against Texas A&M;, were in high spirits as Larry Hare, KU’s assistant AD/equipment operations, passed out the T-shirts in the winning locker room.

“I’m happy to be part of this,” KU guard Tyshawn Taylor said, displaying his T-shirt for reporters to see “My mom is probably gonna take it from me, but I’m happy to get to wear it at least one time before she gets her hands on it. I’m happy to be part of the great history at Kansas. I’m really happy.”

Taylor and his teammates — who join players from North Carolina (2,000) and Kentucky (2,017) as members of the 2,000-win club — weren’t rejoicing at halftime. That’s when KU coach Bill Self, not pleased with his team’s play in nursing a 34-32 lead, lit into his Jayhawks.

“He challenged our manhood, basically,” forward Marcus Morris said after scoring 12 points and grabbing five rebounds. “He said it was the worst we played all year, that there’s no intensity in the locker room, and nobody’s hyped to play.

“It was an early game. It was like we were just waking up. We did the same thing last year, and it cost us (in first-round loss to Baylor). Today we prevailed. We won’t do that again,” Morris added.

Self — he was especially hard on team leaders Sherron Collins (19 points, six assists) and Aldrich at halftime for not having the team mentally ready — explained his angst.

“I can live with missed shots or poor play or careless play or whatever, but the reason I thought we didn’t play well was stuff self-inflicted from an energy standpoint,” Self said. “I didn’t feel we were turned up. Not that we weren’t playing hard, but there was no oomph in the building. You can’t wait on fans to provide that. You’ve got to create it yourself.

“We talked about that the whole week. You work your butt off for 2 1/2 months so you have a chance to play at 11:30 (a.m. after receiving bye). That’s the advantage. We looked at it today as almost a disadvantage. Certainly Thursday or Friday (in NCAAs), there’s a chance we’ll play the early game wherever we go.”

Aldrich had eight boards and five points the second half, Collins 10 points and four assists.

“I got on Cole pretty good at halftime. He responded like a kid is supposed to respond,” Self said, explaining, “the reason we didn’t have as much energy and it was a two-point game at halftime is Cole and Sherron’s responsibility.

“It’s their job to make sure everybody is ready to play. Sherron didn’t feel good (battling a cough and cold). That stuff doesn’t matter. I thought the second half both of them played well.”

Aldrich’s 18 rebounds tied a season high (Tennessee) and were two off a career high (20 vs. Dayton and Oklahoma last year).

“Coach challenges us all the time and wants the best from us. He knows how good we can be as a team,” Aldrich said.

“That’s one thing he’s got to do as a coach,” he added of getting angry at halftime.

Of his own play, Collins, who had three fouls the first half, said: “It’s my responsibility to get us ready. I’ve got to do a better job of that and a better job of staying out of foul trouble and putting my team in tough positions.”

The No. 1-ranked Jayhawks (30-2), who led the Red Raiders (17-15), 65-63, with 5:55 left, went on a 12-0 run to ice the victory.

Collins and Xavier Henry opened the spurt with threes. Collins then hit two free throws, and Aldrich and Reed followed with buckets.

“It is a big deal to be one of only three programs to get 2,000 wins,” Self said. “Our guys respect the history and the tradition at Kansas. Winning it (2,000) is not something we put a huge emphasis on because we just want to win the next game. But to so many who supported Kansas throughout the years, I can understand why it’s such a big deal. We’re proud of it.”

So proud that the players wore their T-shirts as they left the building.

“I’ll be sporting mine later,” Self cracked, still wearing shirt and tie after earning his 199th victory against 42 losses in seven years at KU.

Comments

NH_JHawk 8 years, 9 months ago

I hope 2KU turns into 2NC. Sorry, Turg, we got a mission to accomplish, but we still love you. Rock Chalk!

Matt Gauntt 8 years, 9 months ago

Now that North Carolina's season is over, we have a chance to claim the #2 position all for ourselves. A deep run in the tournament would put NC well behind us in #3. I couldn't be happier that this switch from #3 to #2 happened while Roy Williams was at NC.

bradynsdad 8 years, 9 months ago

k state looked really good last night but so did baylor, i think that will be a good game to watch. watching texas play has just been sad noone on that team seems to care anymore and james has become a baby, but rick barnes doesnt care about winning either. go hawks tonight, play with more intensity against a&m.

Greg Lux 8 years, 9 months ago

I just hope we get win 2008 this spring.. Thats the win thats REALLY important... Congrats to all the Jayhawks who have ever played and won for there part in the 2000 wins so far.

Rock Chalk

Martin Rosenblum 8 years, 9 months ago

Didn't get to watch the game. But, it sounds like another typical Sprint Center game. No, it's not AFH. But, it's such a huge benefit to play so close to our local fan base, compared to most conference tournaments playing on a "neutral floor", that it should be equally as loud and energertic in that building as attending a game in Lawrence. Don't underestimate the crowd energy when it translates to the team's energy that translates to a higher level of performance.

The 2000th win is a milestone based on the "race" to it this year between the three schools, KU, UK and NC. Had there been seperation that found three schools vieing for the milestone in seperate years, to me it would be more meaningful. Being third to get to 2000 in the same year as the others is somewhat of a diluted "honor". Considering the KY potential for having this years wins vacated, should history repeat itself, the honor could be even more controversial. Still, we would be second to get there behind NC, which has a sting to it as well.

Still in all, we are experiencing history and this year's team could be on track to win the regular season Big 12 championship, Big 12 Tournament and the National Championship all in the same year! Who isn't excited about that!

James122 8 years, 9 months ago

We must take care of the ball. 14 to's against TT, r u kidding me??

Even through we played good defense, this team probally has the fewest charges taken in recent history? That is like a big dunk in the game; it pumps everyone up.

Coach Self's comment at the half summed it up, "we are not playing with any engery."

I guess the upside is we won and many top 25 teams didn't. KSU and Baylor and Texas A & M all looked good.

Let's turn it on to the next level boys..

Go Hawks!!

omng392 8 years, 9 months ago

Allright KU fans... We got to represent at the Sprint Center this Weekend!!! We've got to be LOUD... WE'VE GOT to SHOW our COLORS and PUMP THIS TEAM UP!!!!

THEN WE'VE GOT TO TRAVEL FOR THE TOURNEY!!!! ROCK CHALK!!!

jchawkfan 8 years, 9 months ago

That was a great article about Bill Self. There is no man in my opinion better to lead the Jayhwks than Bill Self. We are very lucky to have him.

ilovebill 8 years, 9 months ago

Timmay97

I read that this morning, too. Really great article. We are fortunate to have such a terrific coach.

bradh 8 years, 9 months ago

It took KU 2,795 games to get to 2,000 victories. Anyone know how many games it took UK or NC?

KU 8 years, 9 months ago

Timmay97.....Thanks for the SI link to the story about Self! As I read it, I came up with a possible answer to why KU seems to "play to the competition's level" most of the time.

Posnanski says Bill Self is the "perfect chameleon"--able to fit into any situation with students, players, boosters, media. He quotes Self as saying "To me, to be successful you need to respond to whatever the situation calls for. I tell our players that all the time." I agree with Posnanski's comment.

OK, here's my take: They say a team takes on the personality of its coach. Well, we know Self is one tough son of a gun and he demands that of his players. So there's no doubt his teams will always be tough. BUT, maybe--just maybe--his team takes on the "perfect chameleon" character, adjusting to whatever the situation calls for. Maybe they win games closer than they should because they have become like their coach--the perfect chameleon.

Chicago_JHawk 8 years, 9 months ago

bradh - UK took 2635 and UNC took 2719 games to get 2000. From a win % standpoint, we're way behind. If we'd matched UK's win % over the 2795 games we've played, we'd have about 2120 wins!

Timmay97 8 years, 9 months ago

KU,

Good point. Not really farfetched.

The way I look at it......KU simply plays better against better competition. This is why I'm not overly concerned about even the second round game in the tourney. There is not one team this year that I don't think KU could beat, including Syracuse and Kentucky. We have all the right pieces and the right coach. WE WILL BE IN THE FINAL FOUR!!!

I gotta tell you guys.....I enjoy reading most of your posts more than the articles. It's hard for me to disagree about anything you all say. Even when I might disagree, I can see it from "your" perspective. This site is enjoyable because of you the "posters."

I see the Hawks truly waking up tonight. They will beat A&M by 20.

BCRavenJHawkfan 8 years, 9 months ago

As I said yesterday, it was like the crowd in the Sprint Center had just come over from the Nelson Atkins Museum. I am thrilled we have such well connected boosters of Medicare age, but come on, we need people on their feet and vocal.

Plus I cannot believe this evening's game is not on ESPN2 or even the Big XII Network!

Jim Pendleton 8 years, 9 months ago

ChicagoMattHawk - UNC's season is likely not over. They have an overall winning record, and will most certainly be in the NIT, unless they decline a bid for some reason.

That being said, I do agree with you that we should surpass them for solo 2nd on the total wins list before we are done this year. Need to go one game at a time, but eight more this year would be great.

Also agree with omng392 regarding our fans bringing it this weekend. Yesterday afternoon I thought we would likely have most of the crowd this weekend. That might still be the case, but the purples had a huge number last night. Sprint Center needs to be our house this weekend. Jayhawk Nation going to the game this weekend, and have extra tickets? Sell them to a KU fan, not a scalper or anyone in purple. There are plenty of people in blue looking for tickets. Make sure your extras wind up in the hands of a Jayhawk, and not someone else's just so you can make a buck.

PA Announcer also indicated yesterday that there are tickets still for sale in OKC for next week. No doubt we will be there, so let's get the rest of those seats in the hands of Jayhawk Nation. Wichita and south Kansas people can do two day trips if you don't want to stay there.

Let's bring the conference tourney title back home where it belongs. Rock Chalk!!

8 years, 9 months ago

"i gotta tell you guys.....I enjoy reading most of your posts more than the articles. It's hard for me to disagree about anything you all say. Even when I might disagree, I can see it from "your" perspective. This site is enjoyable because of you the 'posters.'"

Also Timmay97, thanks for the Self SI article link. I have always enjoyed Posnanski's writing.

Alec White 8 years, 9 months ago

In regard to predictions of the Big XII tournament, I offered this up a few days ago...

"Glad he's (Keiton Page) getting his good game out of the way early though and I'm still sticking with my prediction that OSU will get waxed by K-State tomorrow."

It seemed the sexy pick was to have OSU make a magical run in the Big XII and possibly the NCAA tourney. Not saying the Cowboys can't make a run in the Dance, just that when they're off, they're really off. Not to toot my own horn, but

KSU 83 OKST 64 (And it wasn't even that close)

Hunter2049 8 years, 9 months ago

Wasn't there a contest about predicting when the 2000th win was going to be? Did they pull it down for some reason? I can't seem to find the link to that anywhere....at any rate, congrats KU!

Tony Bandle 8 years, 9 months ago

jayhawkjim80...actually UNC is 16-16, but that should be enough to get them in the N.I.T.Since all victories count, Carolina will have a chance to do some damage in a field of non-NCAA qualifiers, whereby KU will be facing tougher and tougher opponents.We still may "out-victory them for the season but it won't be a dominating number.

The more important stat will be when UK gets downed by probation and lose all their victories, we will jump to the top of the heap : }

The most important game of the season so far is tonight. A victory over Texas A&M will assure the overall #1 seeding to Kansas, no matter what happens Saturday.

Based on our #1 RPI, our season-ending 17-1 record if we win tonight prior to the championship, a completely healthy team
and guaranteed that we will be facing a ranked opponent in the finale, the committee will reward Kansas for being the top-ranked team for the majority of the entire season.

If we lose tonight, this all goes out the window and our fate is out of our hands!!

Gil Ek 8 years, 9 months ago

Rank College Wins Losses Winning percent

1 Kentucky 2017 (As of 3/11/10) 637 .760 2 Kansas 2000 (As of 3/11/10) 795 .716 2 North Carolina 2000 (As of 3/11/10) 719 .736 4 Duke 1903 (As of 3/06/10) 822 .698 5 Syracuse 1781 (As of 3/06/10) 809 .688 6 Temple 1736 (As of 3/04/10) 965 .643 7 St. John's 1701 (As of 3/04/10) 882 .659 8 UCLA 1685 (As of 3/06/10) 742 .695 9 Notre Dame 1672 (As of 3/06/10) 918 .645 10 Pennsylvania 1663 (As of 3/04/10) 969 .632 11 Utah 1651 (As of 3/04/10) 873 .654 11 Indiana 1650 (As of 3/04/10) 929 .640 13 Illinois 1627 (As of 3/04/10) 865 .653 14 Western Kentucky 1622 (As of 3/06/10) 720 .692 15 Washington 1610 (As of 3/04/10) 1056 .604 16 Texas 1609 (As of 3/04/10) 952 .628 17 Oregon State 1607 (As of 3/04/10) 1195 .574 18 Louisville 1607 (As of 3/10/10) 843 .656 19 Brigham Young (BYU) 1605 (As of 3/04/10) 998 .617 20 Purdue 1590 (As of 3/04/10) 931 .631 21 Arizona 1582 (As of 3/04/10) 872 .645 22 West Virginia 1573 (As of 3/04/10) 978 .617 23 Cincinnati 1569 (As of 3/04/10) 928 .628 24 Princeton 1569 (As of 3/04/10) 994 .612 25 Bradley 1552 (As of 3/04/10) 1020 .603 26 North Carolina State 1550 (As of 3/04/10) 938 .623 27 Villanova 1529 (As of 3/04/10) 855 .641 28 Missouri State 1517 (As of 3/04/10) 844 .643 29 Connecticut 1516 (As of 3/04/10) 852 .640 30 Oklahoma 1512 (As of 3/04/10) 957 .612 31 Arkansas 1501 (As of 3/04/10) 838 .642 32 Alabama 1497 (As of 3/04/10) 912 .621 33 Georgetown 1495 (As of 3/04/10) 933 .616 33 Oklahoma State 1495 (As of 3/04/10) 1039 .590 35 St. Joseph's 1487 (As of 3/04/10) 985

Gil Ek 8 years, 9 months ago

[edit] Most victories Active coaches in bold. Rank Coach Years Colleges Wins 1 Herb Magee 1967– Philadelphia 903 2 Bob Knight 1965-2008 Army, Indiana, Texas Tech 902 3 Dean Smith 1961-1997 North Carolina 879 4 Adolph Rupp 1930-1972 Kentucky 876 5 Mike Krzyzewski 1975– Army, Duke 856 6 Jim Phelan 1954-2003 Mount St. Mary's 830 7 Clarence Gaines 1946-1993 Winston-Salem State 828 8 Jim Boeheim 1976– Syracuse 827 9 Jerry Johnson 1958-2005 LeMoyne-Owen 823 10 Jim Calhoun 1972– Northeastern, UConn 816 11 Eddie Sutton 1969-2008 Creighton, Arkansas, Kentucky, Oklahoma State, San Francisco 803 12 Lefty Driesell 1960-2003 Davidson, Maryland, James Madison, Georgia State 786 13 Lute Olson 1973-2008 Long Beach State, Iowa, Arizona 780 14 Lou Henson 1962-2004 Hardin-Simmons, New Mexico State, Illinois 779 15 Jerry Tarkanian 1968-2002 Long Beach State, UNLV, Fresno State 778 16 Phog Allen 1906-1956 Kansas, Baker, Haskell, Central Missouri State 771 17 Henry Iba 1930-1970 NW Missouri State, Colorado, Oklahoma State 764 18 Edgar Diddle 1922-1964 Western Kentucky 759 19 Glenn Robinson 1971– Franklin & Marshall 756 20 John Chaney 1972-2005 Cheyney, Temple 741 21 Norm Stewart 1961-1999 Northern Iowa, Missouri 731 22 Ray Meyer 1942-1984 DePaul 724 23 Don Haskins 1961-1999 UTEP 719 24 Dick Sauers 1955-1997 Albany 702 25 Denny Crum 1971-2001 Louisville 675 26 Dennis Bridges 1965-2001 Illinois Wesleyan 667 27 John Wooden 1946-1975 Indiana State, UCLA 667 28 Bob Huggins 1980- Walsh University, University of Akron, University of Cincinnati, Kansas State University, West Virginia 660 29 Ralph Miller 1951-1989 Wichita State, Iowa, Oregon State 657 30 Gene Bartow 1961-1996 Central Missouri State

dynamitehawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for the link Timay - great article. You are right this is a great board - the best.

trueblue9 8 years, 9 months ago

ESPN has no respect for the Big 12. ACC quarterfinals on ESPN2 instead of our two semifinals (both of which feature ranked opponents - the only two such games all day). So disappointing for all the KU fans not in Lawrence.

Playing morning games is no excuse. As the BS points out, CBS likes to burry those 1-16 and 1-8/9 match-ups early in the day as well. It certainly could be another 11am start, better start figuring out how to get the juices flowing early.

clm2122 8 years, 9 months ago

Great article on Self...I guess he must have been beside himself a few weeks back when TT claimed he didn't know his role.

JhawkHoopsCrzy 8 years, 9 months ago

Hey Timmay77 ... thanks for that link to the article on confidence/HCBS ... what a fantastic piece, so well written and it make me love this guy even more, which I didn't think was possible. I got chills reading the accounting of the final two minutes of Memphis. You gotta believe.

THANKS JAYHAWKS ... for all the great memories you are creating today in moving into the number two spot for all-time wins, and for all the memories you are creating on your way to Indy!

RCJH! 2Ku

Philip Bowman 8 years, 9 months ago

I'm in California and none of the Big 12 games are on television in this area. Is there an internet website where I can watch the game?

Steve Gantz 8 years, 9 months ago

Salthawk, If ESPN360 works for you, then that is the best.

kshaw04 8 years, 9 months ago

In addition to ESPN360, the game is on ESPN Full court. You can get it for the day - $16.95 I think and see the game.

KU 8 years, 9 months ago

trueblue9.....It's not that ESPN disrespects the Big 12. It's about dollar signs, to paraphrase our former football coach. There are more TV sets in the ACC region than Big 12 country. More TV sets means more advertising dollars, period.

trueblue9 8 years, 9 months ago

KU, your argument assumes that the remainder of the country would not offset the difference in population in the two regoins. I just don't see many people giving two dueces about GT/MD or NCState/FSU (even in the mid-atlantic/south). But I agree with your premise that its all about the money.

Steve Brown 8 years, 9 months ago

slyr: i would like to know how many of us said KU 1st game in Sprint so we would know how many of us are in teh running.

PS 2nd half - Alabama leading Contucky- hope it lasts...don't get ESPN360 here headed to sports cafe to watch Calimari struggle...

kureader 8 years, 9 months ago

LJW ... Your 2000th win poster is a nice idea ... but, it's 62 MB ...

Steve Brown 8 years, 9 months ago

I think that guy that coaches UConn ladies has a few wins also..

hawk316 8 years, 9 months ago

Timmay97, I also want to thank you for the link to Posnanski's article on Bill Self. What a great story. Posnanski is one of the best sportswriters alive today and has been a favorite of mine for years. He really provides wonderful insight into Self in this piece.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 9 months ago

2KU..pretty clever. Unfortunately, Kentucky kind of beat us conceptually with UK2K shirts earlier this year but ours is still pretty cool.

I feel that the disrespect given to the Big Twelve is not imaginary. I'll bet if Kansas and K-State get to the NCAA Finals, CBS will switch to the NIT Finals if North Carolina is in it and we will be designated to ESPNU!!

Disclaimer: The preceding statement is totally tongue in cheek for entertainment value only.....well, sort of, anyway!

Steve Brown 8 years, 9 months ago

slry: the ones that guessed right could get a couple bob uecker seat tix to INDY or at how about a 2KU Tshirt -

Steve Brown 8 years, 9 months ago

john wall wins, misses a few FT yet wins again...

justinryman 8 years, 9 months ago

Why isn't the Big12 tourny on ESPN? Well it's just like football, they made a bad TV deal. The conference needs to pull it's head out and make a bold move for a new TV contract for both football and basketball. Look the Big ten has it's own network now, there have been rumors that Texas wants it's own network(gawd save us from that). But FSN and a few games on a local network here and there along with one game a weekend for football isn't cutting it. It hurts all the schools in recruiting, plus money back to the schools for being on TV. I thought with a new commish it would change, but so far nothing.

I'm just hoping I can catch the games up in Omaha tonight. Rock Chalk!!

Jim Pendleton 8 years, 9 months ago

oakville - the point I made earlier was that UNC's season was not over, contrary to what Chicagomatthawk said. I may be off a loss on UNC's total (saw they were 16-15 last night after they lost, so that must have been in error), but even at .500 they are NIT eligible. The only way their season is over is if they decline a bid to the NIT.

We can jump a couple wins ahead of them by winning the tourney this weekend. Hopefully we will win enough in the big dance to then stay ahead of them while they win some in the little dance.

Another number that will start getting more play as the tourney starts next week, is that KU will now have the longest current streak of consecutive tourney appearances, which will now be at 21 straight years after the field is announced Sunday. Arizona lost last night in the Pac 10, and is in roughly the same boat as UNC is record wise, so their streak of 25 straight will be history.

Let's keep all these going. Rock Chalk!!

dynamitehawk 8 years, 9 months ago

What scares me about A&M is not their basketball team, but more.... this: "Its original mission was to educate white males in farming and military techniques."

Larry Smith 8 years, 9 months ago

The lack of TV coverage has nothing to do with ESPN's lack of respect for the Big 12. It was the Big 12's decision to move to a Weds-Sat format, and thus lose some national coverage along the way. Instead of the afternoon game on Sunday, we now get an early evening time on Saturday for the Championship game. ESPN already had contracts in place with other conferences for these weekday games when the Big 12 decided to change the tournament format(days). The coaches pushed for this and were happy when the change happened. This TV contract will be in place until the end of the 2015-2016 season. So unless another conferences time slots open up, we can look forward to this for the next six years.

PittJayhawker 8 years, 9 months ago

I don't know if anyone else has made the connection yet, but I'll post it anyway...

8 more games to possibly play in That would give us 2008 wins We won the championship in 2008...

Potential sign? One can hope!

jaybate 8 years, 9 months ago

dynamitehawk,

Posting hall of fame. First Ballot. No question. One of the funniest things I've ever read!

Rock Chalk!!!!

jaybate 8 years, 9 months ago

"Some Ways We Know Roy's Season Is Over Even If UNC Were to Go to the NIT:"

Roy dolls found face down with steak knives stuck in their backs all over Chapel Hill.

Bonfire of I Heart Roy t-shirts in front of Dean Dome.

Dean dresses up like Roy, holds press conference and says, "I quit!"

UNC alums pass the straw hat and buy Roy a life time supply of high tar and nicotene enriched Luck Strikes with blasting caps in the front end of each individual cancer stick.

The man who shot Kennedy was just seen entering Chapel Hill on a train dressed as a bum.

Chapel Hill mortuaries keep advertising Roy Williams Specials.

Charlie Rose starts lying on the air that he did not attend UNC.

Chancellor Bernadette Grey-Little is over heard telling her secretary, "Listen here, girl, I am one lucky sucker to be out of that nest of losers!"

Harrison Barnes de-commits.

(Note: All fiction, no malice.)

kennethst 8 years, 9 months ago

Jaybate-Are you going on tour anytime this year? Where can I get tickets?

You're hilarious!

I am very happy to see "Awe Shucks, ol' Roy's team have a bad year......let us catch up to him in wins. Sorry, but will never be able to forgive him for the way he left KU. I appreciate what he did when he was here and we owe him gratitude for it....but I just can't ever get past how he left. Never will.

How do you think the game will go tonight?

YaBoyJrod 8 years, 9 months ago

In Milwaukee and 360 is not working for some reason. Anybody else have link for the game.

dynamitehawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Jaybate,

Thanks - that's quite a compliment.

jaybate 8 years, 9 months ago

"Some Ways You Know Texas A&M Is Now a "Progressive" Institution:"

Hunting human beings at private gun clubs in College Station is now a race and gender neutral activity.

Female ROTC cadets on the shooting range now get to aim at targets with female silhouettes.

Bleeding like a stuck pig in the veterinary medicine barn is now limited to Wednesdays.

Necrogenetic Engineering is considered the new politically correct euphemism for eugenics.

Ability to read and write are now requirements for graduation.

Elmer Gantry no longer among the books burned each year.

Dubya, Rummie, Cheney and Obama no longer feel safe from extradition for war crimes when speaking there.

With the admission of women, reports of beastiality down 20%.

More emphasis on agricultural, less emphasis on mechanical.

(Note: all fiction, no malice.)

jaybate 8 years, 9 months ago

dynamitehawk,

I just read it again and nearly fell off my chair the second time, too!!!!

Rock Chalk!

jaybate 8 years, 9 months ago

drgnslayr,

And wasn't it the Mayans that had game played at festivals with a stone rim mounted vertically on a stone wall that the players had to run and jump up to and put a ball through?

Here's a link to a picture of one of the ancient stone rims.

I always wondered if Jimmie had read about that game some where or other, but probably not. I doubt the ruin had even been found yet, or at least was likely not yet publicized widely enough for him to have learned of it, when he wrote up his first rules.

Of course, the Mayans played for rather higher stakes than a ring. The losers were sacrificed on an altar.

Talk about an incentive "to get better!" :-)

jaybate 8 years, 9 months ago

drgnslayr,

Poor Roy! If he'd just promise to recruit only east of the Mississippi, he wouldn't have to put up with our barbs. :-)

8 years, 9 months ago

For those who are looking to watch our game tonight on the internet but their ISP doesn't support ESPN360, give this a try:

Scroll down and click on our game's link. They weren't listing it earlier today, but it is on there now.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 9 months ago

What other collge hoops website gives you Mayan history, stats out the wazzoo, incisive sports commentary and bathroom humor!!!! I LOVE IT!!

New over/under betting line in Vegas - at what precise minute this weekend will KSU's Coach Frank Martin's head explode!!!!!

Actually, I thought the Mayans used the head of their enemies as the ball. After a victory, getting the game ball....YUCK!!!

jaybate 8 years, 9 months ago

slyr, thanks for the clarification on who gives up who's head.

I guest their version of Ernie Banks would never have lived to say: Let's play three! :-)

jaybate 8 years, 9 months ago

OakvilleJHawk,

Spot on. This website is unusually content rich. Now, if only they paid us. :-)

jaybate 8 years, 9 months ago

Bulletin:

U of Central Arkansas hires Corliss Williams.

Does this mean 40 Minutes of Nastiness?

jaybate 8 years, 9 months ago

jaybate news service (jns):

Dateline:

Slug: Survey Says Georgetown-Syracuse Match-Ups Are Most Annoying Basketball Games Ever Played...

jns randomly sampled 7 basketball fans (n>6 justifying empirically verified statistical inference of extremely low confidence) in various parts of the world about the teams that tend to produce the most annoying basketball games to watch. Only somewhat surprisingly, all seven picked Georgetown-Syracuse match-ups.

When survey respondents were asked to explain anecdotally about why these two programs produced such annoying games, three said because both teams are always wildly overrated and their games never prove to be half what they are hyped to be.

Much more interesting to this reporter, however, are the responses of the other four respondents, who all said much the same thing; i.e., watching Syracuse play Georgetown is more annoying that listening to rap at a wedding reception.

Survey research indicates that watching Boeheim's lull-'em-to-sleep zone teams play the incomparably irritating Georgetown version of the Princeton has some kind of exponential effect on the perception of annoyance by respondents.

Specifically, respondents found Georgetown-Syracuse match-ups anywhere from 400 to 900 times more annoying than watching either team play any other ordinary opponent.

Fully six of seven survey respondents mentioned having thoughts of suicide, while watching Georgetown and Syracuse play.

The seventh survey respondent had already hung himself before he was able to answer this last question in the anecdotal portion of the survey.

(Note: how can any blue chip player want to play either of these boring types of basketball?)