Sunday, January 31, 2010

Gary Bedore’s Kansas hoops notebook

Chicago natives Jacob Pullen and Sherron Collins embrace after the Jayhawks' 81-79 win over the Wildcats after overtime, Saturday, Jan. 30, 2010 at Bramlage Coliseum.

Reader poll

Which Jayhawk was most vital in the overtime period of KU's 81-79 victory over Kansas State?

• Sherron Collins 63% 2098 votes
  • Cole Aldrich 21% 721 votes
  • Tyshawn Taylor 11% 369 votes
  • Other 2% 95 votes

3283 total votes.

Audio clips

KU-Kansas State basketball

Taylor lauded

Kansas University coach Bill Self had high praise for sophomore guard Tyshawn Taylor after Saturday’s overtime victory over Kansas State.

“We don’t win the game without Tyshawn,” Self said of Taylor, who had 12 points off 2-of-4 shooting (he made eight of nine free throws) and had two assists against three turnovers in 30 minutes.

Taylor stole the ball from Denis Clemente with KU up, 69-66, in the final minute of regulation, but then gave the ball back when his pass was stolen. Rodney McGruder scored, was fouled by Brady Morningstar and tied the game at 69 with :36 left.

That was the score at the end of regulation.

“I never thought we were going to lose, but that was a bad play on my part,” Taylor said of the McGruder steal. “I think I played a good game. I know I played hard the whole game. I knew I had to with Sherron (Collins, having cramps). I think it was a great game. Every possession counted. I know it was a fun game.”

Self on the game

“We didn’t play great. I don’t think it’s possible to play great against K-State as hard as they play. It’s one of the most fun games we’ve been part of.”

Self loved the loud environment.

“We talked the whole time (that) we’ll embrace the atmosphere,” he said. “We want it to be as loud as it can be. We want it to be the toughest venue we play in.

“I think the crowd was awesome.”

X plays 16 minutes

Xavier Henry, who had six points and four rebounds and four turnovers in just 16 minutes, was thrilled to contribute in any way.

“I understand whatever coach Self does is best for the team,” Henry said of reduced minutes against KSU. “That was a game where every possession mattered. I think everybody came up big at different times. It was a great road win for us.”

KU will meet Colorado at 8 p.m. Wednesday in Boulder.

No. 1 coming

The Jayhawks are now two games up in the league race. KU likely will be the new No. 1 team in the country Monday.

“I’d rather be two games up in the Big 12. Rankings don’t matter because at the end of the year there will be only one No. 1,” Collins said.

Big-time player

Self had an inkling Collins would return in overtime after leaving the game briefly with cramps.

“He has a flair for the dramatic,” Self said. “He did the same thing against Memphis (earlier this season). I had a feeling he’d be back.”

Stats, facts

Kansas is 20-1 on the season, the same record it had 21 games into the 2007-08 NCAA title season. ... KU is 178-90 all-time against K-State, including a 21-1 mark in Bramlage. ... KU is 31-2 against KSU since the inception of the Big 12. ... KU played its first overtime game of the season at Kansas State and its first overtime versus the Wildcats since Jan. 14, 1989, a Kansas 75-74 win in Manhattan.

Comments

Jerry Collins 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm going in for heart surgery. If that's the last KU game I'll see in this life-it was a great one.

langes0910 4 years, 10 months ago

GOCAWO, all the best with your surgery. I wish you a speedy recovery. Rock Chalk.

jaybate 4 years, 10 months ago

Tyshawn came up huge down the stretch and in OT, despite the botched pass. He could still be amazingly good, if he ever finds out how to stay active for his entire 30 minutes. We saw tonight how much Self still believes in him--trusts him. Self has been struggling inside the Self Boy to Man Transformer machine for what seems months now. Self let him out of the box and Ty produced, even though he was uneven as heck the first 30 minutes of the game. Unfortunately for Quantum T, I suspect he has about 2-3 more weeks of going back in the box, before Self is done with toughening him for the tourney.

But congratulations Tyshawn. Not many guys can come out of the Self Boy to Man Transformer machine and play as well for 30 minutes, as you did.

jaybate 4 years, 10 months ago

Erratum: make that Ty has been struggling inside the Self Boy to Man Transformer machine. :-)

Dustin Gudde 4 years, 10 months ago

I don't know what planet everyone else is living on but on this one I see TT screwing up every time the game is on the line. He turned it over at the end of regulation to almost blow the game. Then he bounced the ball off Sherron's shin to almost blow the game again if it wasn't for Sherron's great hustle and us being lucky enough to have the possession arrow. When I was watching the game, everyone was screaming to get the ball out of TT's hands. I would trust Sherron, Brady, Tyrel, and even EJ before Taylor. I can't keep understanding why he keeps getting praise. Bill, if you want me to live to an old age, please don't have Taylor controlling the ball when the game is on the line. Thanks!

mojayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Keep your wits TT. You will be rewarded if you continue to play "Team ball". Coach Self obviously trusts you.

Doug Merrill 4 years, 10 months ago

Dusty I hope you taped the game. If you did, run it again. Here is what you need to look for: watch for the only guy who came close to calm on the free throw line and who was able to put himself on that line whenever we really needed points without the clock moving.

navyman 4 years, 10 months ago

Great game - everyone get off TT - I was upset at the turn over but he has Self's trust and one thing I know for sure - Bill Self is the best coach in College Basketball - and trusting him has one national title and more on the way

Chris Shaw 4 years, 10 months ago

"Dusty_ If I remember correctly, Sherron was out when TT had the ball at the end of regulation. He is a clutch player, but still makes mental mistakes. NO one compares to Sherron in the clutch, so don't compare. We will need TT down the stretch to be a clutch player. This was a great environment to continue his "Boy to Man Transformation" as Jaybate stated."

Collins was in at the end of regulation. He was the one who tried to pass cross-court with about 5 seconds left, the ball got tipped into the middle of the lane and KSU was off to the races with KSU luckily not getting a shot attempt because of Reed's hustle.

jayhawkcd 4 years, 10 months ago

It was a great game and KU has owned the Wildcats at Bramlage, but one would think that Mr. Bedore would have his facts straight about Bramlage. It opened in 1985 and the only KU loss there is in 2008, so that makes us 26-1 there.

Sarumanw 4 years, 10 months ago

I have two comments. First, the gang on ESPN last night made the statements that TT was playing scared. I'm not sure what game they were watching. As to the turnover, they were running the weave, and Brady just stopped and went away at the moment TT made the pass, so part of that is on him. I get frustrated with his play too, but I also have confidence Coach will get him where he needs to be.

kellyrojo78 4 years, 10 months ago

The yin and yang of TT....He makes a great steal and then throws the ball away 10 seconds later. I was surprised to see him getting the minutes at th end of the game but X wasn't doing much. All I can say is that despite the great plays he made, TT is still a liability with the ball in crunch---this is something that will need to be ironed out before MARCH....or just keep it in Ronnie C's hands.

X is soooooooooo similar to B. Rush. Everyone thought Rush was a sure 1 and done and then he stuck around letting his game mature and went to the NBA and actually gets some minutes. X should see his example. He is nowhere near ready for the next level and should get some more experience under Self.....If he goes to the NBA now he will be like other KU players that never see the court (see D. Authur, J Wright) after leaving too early.

Jeter, Manning, Tebow........Collins? Slow down there Dickie V. Collins is VERY good but he's got a ways to go before he can be leveled with these dudes---By all means a good comparison if he leads the team to the promised land this year though.
Anyway, that was a very fun game to watch and a great way to spend Sat night on the couch!

eastcoasthawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Agree with navyman. Every one of our players had a bone headed play by giving it away or missing a bunny. On the flip side every one of those players also made a great play during the game. Last night was a war. We won and lost some battles. But we won the war!

I am just enjoying this season. We still have things we can improve but whether or not we do it will be one helluva season!

FairgroveJayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

I get so frustrated with Taylor also, almost as frustrated as with McMorris last year for the exact same reasons.

Taylor having the ball at the end of the game on the road with the game on the line will help to toughen him up and allow him to give us better consistency. He did as well as he could yesterday, the team came away with a win and a whole lot of experience in Taylor's pocket. Taylor's going to need that experience the rest of the season and next year. The experience he got yesterday is priceless. Hopefully he'll review tape and learn even more from it. Good Job Tyshawn!

Clarence Haynes 4 years, 10 months ago

Jayhawk444 4 years, 10 months ago

I don't believe the turnover at the end of reg was TT's fault. Maybe a bounce pass wasn't the best method, but it was Brady who suddenly stopped and did a 180-cut in the opposite direction just as TT passed the ball. The ball ended up in the space where Brady would have been if he hadn't changed direction, making it look like a bad pass. We've all see this happen, usually on the wing, and the ball simply goes out of bounds. This time it happened out front and led to a steal that almost turned into a game-winning layup for KState. But it wasn't all TT's fault. It's just one of those things that happens.

Chicago_JHawk 4 years, 10 months ago

jayhawkcd - Bramlage opened in 1988, the first KU game was spring '89. We are 21-1 there.

Lance Hobson 4 years, 10 months ago

Anyone who's about to have heart surgery shoult NOT have been watching that game!

kerbyd 4 years, 10 months ago

Strikeso, That kind of game could CAUSE heart failure. Thought Collins showed a lot of class throughout the game. Glad my Sunday school teacher wasn't there listening to me during the game. Yikes!

TaCityHawkFan 4 years, 10 months ago

slowplay 4 years, 10 months ago

cshjhawk (anonymous) says...

"Would't surprise me if X were to come back to true form during upcoming games and really add to our arsenal!".......

It wouldn't surprise me if Taylor eventually replaces him as a starter. I see TT getting better and X is starting to lose Self's confidence. TT had almost twice as many minutes last night. That said, X has the ability. Let's see if he turns it around.

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 10 months ago

I felt like the refs showed obvious bias toward KSU in the first half. They went to the replay for about three reviewsin the game in general, which I comend them for. But, it wasn't the most consistently called game. Thank goodness for their lane violation calls though! Does anybody think they knew any history about Clemente vs. KU last year? It should never matter but, when a player is notorious for over-zealous play, refs could be on the lookout during games that they officiate. I don't think Clemente dared display anything too aggressive in this game, however.

Jeff Hargate 4 years, 10 months ago

I agree about the officials. They were terrible, but equally terrible. I hate looking up at the scoreboard and see that the total fouls are like 7-2 and then a huge run of fouls are called on the team with 2 fouls. I don't like to say they are makeup calls, but what else are they? As emotional as the game was I was glad to see everyone keep their wits. I think both teams totally respect each other. Eventhough KU has won all but 2 in the past 15 years or so this is definately a rivalry.

GridironHawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Although I think Self is one of the greatest coaches in the game today I didn't understand two crucial decisions. Why run the weave that late in the game? It's a very risky offense when you aren't trying to score. The other one was why inbound the ball to TT just to try and pass it to Sherron. Why not inbound directly to Sherron at the end of regulation (talking about the jump ball). Later in the game the did just inbound directly to Sherron. However, besides the pass, TT had a good game. The charge late in the game was BS.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 10 months ago

I vote for Tyrell Reed as MVP for the following reasons:

1] Played ten minutes of error free ball with a basket. 2] Saved the game with a last second strip of the wining layup 3] And, most importantly, brought his sister to the game, gave her a seat behind the bench and was THE HOTTEST GIRL in the entire crowd. She looks like Megan Fox with a brain!! :}

I'm not sure why but something keeps telling me that Xavier is going to explode onto the scene in the last nine games of the season [the Big 12 Tourney and the NCAA Tourney]

stravinsky 4 years, 10 months ago

The weave mistake was on Brady. As was his 5 second call, several near 5 second calls, and some other costly turnovers. I don't especially understand why so often TT gets ripped apart when he turns the ball over and Brady is given a free pass.

jdavidholt 4 years, 10 months ago

RE: X Watch closely. The hole in X's game seems to be his lack of a quick first step. That prevents him from creating his own shot and inhibits his ability to drive to the basket. He could get by without it against inferior competition, but it appears to be a real liability against top competition.

hawk316 4 years, 10 months ago

As I wrote elsewhere,

Regarding Tyshawn's play...yes, he made some bad passes, but we're fortunate to have him to play D on Clemente. Tyshawn's speed is a great asset. Plus, let's don't forget that he was clutch on the free throw line. I still believe that as Tyshawn continues to mature, he will become more consistent. His decision-making should improve and his talent and skills will become increasingly appreciated by the Jayhawk nation.

Also, I agree with those who argued that the bounce pass was not totally Tyshawn's fault. Brady seemed to stop and Tyshawn threw the pass (granted, a bounce pass was not the best choice there) where Brady was supposed to be.

OCJHAWK 4 years, 10 months ago

I have never seen any KU coach spending as much time on a player and his ego as Self has had to with Tyshawn. No matter what the skill level, he IS a distraction and needs to get his ++++ together.

DCLawHawk 4 years, 10 months ago

The 5-second call against Morningstar was bogus. If you look at the tape, you'll see that the ref started his count before Brady even had the ball. There's no way that was a full 5 seconds.

mikehawk 4 years, 10 months ago

I do think there are parallels between the Marcus development of last year and Tyshawn. The big buzz about Marcus this year and his big breakout was very little surprise as you could see the talent around the immaturity last season. With Tyshawn, you can see the talent oozing wrapped in a shroud of immaturity this year. His mistakes last year were there but covered up in different ways. Be patient, faithful, and if he stays and learns what Sherron knew the second he stepped on campus...ie. listen to everything HCBS says and believe and trust. I am starting to think that the time is for Coach to look at bringing X off the bench. Sometimes that has a way of freeing up a player's mind and letting him relax. He looks confused and trying to make things happen rather than as they say, "letting the game come to him." To his credit, he seems to trust Coach and is at least saying all of the right things. I think he will help us big time before the year is over. Coach says we have to learn to win tough and ugly. That one was tough and ugly. Ever the master psychologist..."embrace the atmosphere." That is known to the psychological world as a "paradoxical intention." Go Coach.

addlime 4 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, I don't understand the 5 second call. We ran it back with a stopwatch and at 5 seconds, Collins was catching the ball. Furthermore, the ref was counting slower than actual seconds (judging by his left hand). The ball was rolled across the court to Brady and not handed to him. He fumbled the ball for about half a second picking it up, but I hardly see how you can start counting when the ball rolls across the end line. Counting should start when Brady actually gets the ball. I'm still so angry about that call! Good thing I'm not the coach or I would have done something that makes Bobby Knight look like one calm dude.
We need to figure out who that official is, and make sure he knows he f-ed up!

Chris Corley 4 years, 9 months ago

The refereeing was terrible on both ends of the floor.

This particular crew felt that the game was more about them than the players:

Nothing like the roar of the crowd after a charging call to make you feel special, eh guys? After all, it's YOUR show, right? You're on stage. Soak it up, refs!

Bush league.

FairgroveJayhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Speaking of time violations, with ~1:10 left in OT, TT didn't get the ball over mid court in 10 seconds. The shot clock was at 24 seconds when he finally crossed over the line. We got away with a turnover. I was expecting to go into a grand mal seizure.

kuae99 4 years, 9 months ago

I think Sherron is a ninja, and I'm not one to make pirate-ninja references. When you don't need him, he fades into the background - coupla baskets and some assists. Then when the game is on the line, he makes HCBS look like Tarantino.

As for the TT turnovers, it was a team effort in most cases. Sherron should have taken himself out of the game before those times he fell. He wasn't all there at that point and needed the stretching. And thank goodness we had the arrow in OT. I was actually happy to lose the tip.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 9 months ago

Jaybate - For some reason, your comment (TT playing 30 minutes and when it matters most vs. starting) made me think of Sherron in 07-08, or maybe Steve Woodbury from decades gone by. Not exactly the same, but along those lines. TT's 3 TO's in 3 minutes (?) and all the fuss from the fans even reminds me a bit of Sherron's fast break attack the basket in traffic against Memphis (after the first Rose miss) when the smart play was to controll the ball.

That's not meant as ragging on either. I was excited about Sherron back then, and am enjoying the development of TT now.

ps You need to go to Rock Chalk Talk. It would be a great outlet for your writing and analysis.

actorman 4 years, 9 months ago

"Jayhawkcd - I believe what you were thinking of was the beginning of "The Streak" which extended beyond when Bramlidge opened and ended in 2008."

That's a good interpretation, but he'd still be wrong (although closer), since the Streak started in '84, not '85.

Fairgrove, nice call on the 10-second violation; I was wondering if anyone else had noticed that. I think most of the criticism of TT has been unfair, but he definitely deserved criticism for that and was lucky as hell that it wasn't called. As he was languidly bringing the ball up the court I was screaming at my TV set, "Get over the line!" I couldn't believe the refs missed such an easy call.

I really don't get all the comments about the "horrible" officiating, and thought that in general they called a pretty good game. But the 5-second call against Morningstar and the 10-second violation on KU that was missed were both inexcusable, because they were both calls that should be decided in the same way each time. It's not like one of those borderline charge/block calls, which are often very tough. The 10-second call was the worst because all they had to do was look at the freakin' shot clock!!! So for those who have been bitching about the "anti-KU refs," thank your lucky stars that they missed that one.

jwel2nd 4 years, 9 months ago

I can't contact the team from SE Asia. Could someone let the staff know that cramping can be easily AND QUICKLY taken care of by taking Magnesium in vitamin form? Next time we may need Sherron for the full 45 minutes. Thanks for relaying that to Jayhawk headquarters. Rock Chalk!

mdfraz 4 years, 9 months ago

The 10 second call blew my mind too. It would have been a violation at 25, but it was CLEARLY 24 (and probably closer to 23) when TT got across the line. I was talking to a buddy online who was watching it overseas and made a point to tell him about it; he hadn't noticed it. I started to wonder if I had missed something b/c as actorman points out, all the refs need to do is look at the shot clock. Easiest call in basketball probably, and they completely blew it. I won't complain, but I hope Self points that out to Taylor.

Rick Arnoldy 4 years, 9 months ago

TT has been playing better as of late, although, I too, commented to others to keep the ball out of his hands late in the game. He was ice from the line. That might have been his "coming of age" game last night.

I don't think Coach is losing confidence in X. That was one of the best crowds I've seen all year. I wouldn't be surprised to find Coach was protecting him a bit. I do think he needs another year before going pro. He seems slow with his shot and a bit tentative at times.

Michael Leiker 4 years, 9 months ago

If TT fixes the turnover problem Kansas wins it all.

jaybate 4 years, 9 months ago

dagger108,

Your recalling of Sherron and Woodberry is illuminating. I had not thought about TT in regards to these two players, but I believer you are on the money.

Thanks for the tip about the other site, and it is a good one. But I have written previously about my reasons for posting here exclusively, and they have to do with perhaps too idealistic notions about convergence of professional journalism and citizen journalism, and the possibly crucial role of the daily fish wrap in the life of communities in the online age.

I am into legacies, you know, and maintaining a link to the daily newspaper tradition, despite how moribund dailies became in the years just before nearly being crushed entirely by online alternative sites, remains a quixotic quest of mine.

Consider it an eccentric debt I pay to Calder Pickett and Lee Young.