Kansas defeats Colorado, 94-74

• 3 p.m., Feb. 20, 2010
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Sunday, February 21, 2010

‘X’ a factor again

Henry helps KU throttle Buffaloes

Kansas forward Xavier Henry is fouled by Colorado forward Casey Crawford on his way to the bucket during the second half, Saturday, Feb. 20, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas defeats Buffaloes, 94-74

The Jayhawks took down Colorado Saturday, Feb. 20, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

KU vs. Colorado postgame

Coach Bill Self addresses the media following KU's victory against Colorado on February 20, 2010.

Audio clips

2010 KU-Colorado

Reader poll

Whose offensive game were you more pleased with following the Jayhawks' 94-74 victory over Colorado?

• Cole Aldrich (17 points, 6-for-8 shooting, four offensive rebounds, no turnovers) 28% 587 votes
  • Tyshawn Taylor (17 points, 6-for-7 shooting, six assists, three turnovers) 69% 1432 votes
  • Undecided 2% 50 votes

2069 total votes.

Carl Henry sat stoically in his bleacher seat 20 or so rows above the visitor’s basketball bench, watching intently as his son Xavier exploded for a game-high 24 points in Kansas University’s 94-74 victory over Colorado on Saturday in Allen Fieldhouse.

Though he didn’t show it on the outside — rarely cracking even a smile — Carl Henry, a former Jayhawk small forward, was feeling warm and fuzzy on the inside following Xavier’s best overall performance in a dozen Big 12 games, all victories.

“I’m real pleased with his season. When things weren’t going so well, he still hung in there and played. He hung in there. That’s all you can ask,” proud papa Carl said after watching Xavier hit nine of 16 floor shots, including four of seven threes.

“He’s letting the game come to him,” Carl Henry added. “Basically, he isn’t trying to force anything. When he does try to force it, it doesn’t come out good.”

Xavier Henry, who has scored in double figures in four straight games — he had 15 against Texas, 16 versus Iowa State and 12 against Texas A&M — appears officially to have put to rest talk of a slump that had the 6-foot-6 wing totaling just 31 points off 11-of-36 shooting (5-of-22 from three) in five games.

“I just tell him, ‘Good game’ after every game,” Carl Henry said of good times and bad. “Every time he comes off the floor, I say, ‘Good game.’’’

Accentuating the positive certainly helped Xavier shake his personal skid.

“Everybody always encouraged me because they know I’m a positive kid,” Xavier said. “They won’t say anything to bring me down. My family just kept me thinking positively, and I kept doing the same things I was doing.”

Henry, who stroked three quick threes in helping KU open an 11-7 lead over the Buffs, said he never felt frustrated during his personal dog days of the Big 12 season.

“Not really, because I knew eventually it was going to fall,” Henry said of his shot. “It happens to everybody. Everybody has off games. Mine just came three or four in a row. I worked harder every single day with our shooting coach, coach (Joe) Dooley. We got extra shots up and everything like that. They are starting to fall again.”

KU coach Bill Self encouraged Henry to keep shooting when open during the rookie’s dry spell.

“I think with shooters, they are a little quirky maybe,” Self said. “You worry too much about your shot as opposed to worrying about just playing. There’s some guys on your team that’s easier to go in funks because they need to make shots to play well. Some guys, there’s actually no pressure because they don’t have to make shots to play well. Certainly there’s more pressure making shots than any other part of a basketball game. With Sherron (Collins, 13 points on a day he tied Raef LaFrentz, Billy Thomas and C.B. McGrath as winningest KU player of all time) or with X, that just kind of comes with the territory.

“The last four games, he’s been as good a player as we’ve had on our team,” Self added of Henry.

The Jayhawks are certainly happy to see Henry emerge recently. He’s an upbeat player who has fit in well.

“You can ask the guys. I’m always smiling. I always have a smile on my face,” Henry said.

Tyshawn Taylor, who erupted for 17 points on a day five Jayhawks scored in double figures, had Henry grinning after the game.

“He coulda had 30 if he’d made some more threes,” Taylor said.

“I’ll answer that for him ... yes,” senior team leader Collins cracked, butting in when a reporter asked Henry if his 24-point outing came as a relief.

To Xavier, the 24 points really seemed no big deal, considering he always has been a scorer — both playing for dad Carl’s Athletes First AAU team and at Putnam City (Okla.) High School.

“I’ve been working on it,” Henry said of taking the ball to the basket. “It’s a different way of scoring. I work on all ways of scoring. Nothing comes foreign to me. When you’ve got a wide-open shot, take it. If somebody is crowding you, you go ahead and take it to the rim.”

Ever the coach, Carl Henry was asked if his son should be proud of his play of late.

“He should,” Carl said. “Actually, he should work a little bit harder.”

Comments

William Blake 4 years, 1 month ago

Right, lighthawk, but I wish it wasn't so. I know what kind of work goes into a college season and I hate to see any school get ripped off by having to play an illegal Kentucky team in the tourney.

Steve Brown 4 years, 1 month ago

slyr: NCAA history is to rule and enforce sanctions (if any) after not during a season.

slyr if his magnetic personality attracted Lebron, a free agent, then that combo would attract other free agents, plus the likely high draft choice in the lottery.

time will tell...end of the day, KY nation got what it wanted. High proflie coach.

William Blake 4 years, 1 month ago

"While coaching the New Jersey Nets, Calipari referred to Newark Star-Ledger sports reporter Dan Garcia as a "f---ing Mexican idiot.". Garcia sued for $5,000,000 for emotional distress. Though the case was dismissed Calipari was still fined $25,000 by the NBA" - source wiki

And the Nets want him back for round 2?

"On August 20, the NCAA ruled that Rose was ineligible and forced Memphis to vacate the entire 2007-08 season, including the NCAA Tournament and its standing as runner-up. It took the line that even though Rose's score had not been thrown out by the Educational Testing Service, which administers the SAT, until after the season, strict liability required that Rose be ruled ineligible. The committee also determined that even without the questions about his SAT score, he would have lost his eligibility in December 2007 due to his brother being allowed to travel with the team for free" - source wiki

This information should make every UK fan dump in their pants. Evidently, even though Rose's SAT score was found to be legally binding by ETS (meaning, he wasn't caught red-handed), the NCAA dropped the hammer for an unproven allegation. Had there been solid proof, ETS would have invalidated Rose's test score.

What I read into this is that Wall's 400-pt improvement occurring by retaking his SAT's (virtually impossible) will also bring the hammer down from the NCAA. Solid legal proof will not be necessary, just as it wasn't 2 years ago at Memphis.

I just wish the NCAA would make their move before the tourney starts because some rule-abiding teams will be punished by losing to Kentucky in the tourney before Kentucky's season is vacated.

William Blake 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm a novice when it comes to understanding pro ball in regards to talent and acquiring it... how would signing Cal help the Nets gain access to any talented players? Players go through the draft, and their ownership is based in contracts with various teams, not Cal. Pros aren't like college ball where players pick who they sign with.

On top of that, Cal is unproven in the pros (and in college ball), so why would pro players have an interest in playing for Cal?

Last... does Cal have drawing power in New Jersey (concerning fans)? The staff might like him but what about the people that actually bring revenue into the franchise?

Cal would make a great door-to-door vacuum cleaner salesman, because no one can sell sizzle like Cal... he's sold "potential" all the way up to earning big bucks. Problem is... I think being a great coach requires more than salesmanship. Cal has no problem bringing in talent, but it's what you do with talent that decides outcome, and I just don't see someone capable of winning it all, in college or pros or YMCA league play. All I see is a salesman... another Bernie Madoff.

jaybate 4 years, 1 month ago

People are struggling too hard with this story about Cal and the Nets.

If you've done any business with big change on the table, you know that everyone at the table thinks about deals multidimensionally.

By this I mean every big deal is not only about the deal and the change it would bring about, but it is also about the leverage the potential deal creates for perpetuating the status quo at an enriched level for the players involved.

Bill Self did not just go to talk to OSU, because it was waving T. Boone Pickens money at Self, though that was certainly one motivator.

The other motivator was what going and talking to OSU would do to motivate KU to offer more money to perpetuate the status quo.

The truth was that Self would have gone to OSU, if Pickens money were sizeable enough to create net benefit for changing schools.

The truth also was that Self would have stayed at KU, if KU were willing to create enough net benefit for him to stay.

The same dynamic is at work with Cal, the Nets, and UK.

He really could go to the Nets.

Or he really could stay at UK.

It depends on which one can create more net benefit for Cal.

Everyone involved in Cal's situation understand that's how it works.

Everyone in Self's situation understood that was how it was bound to work.

Greatest net benefit is not always only about money. It is a reconciation of many costs and benefit.

Cal may not have any recruits, because this is a weak class and he can't pay cash under the table because the NCAA is watching him like a hawk.

Or Cal may have recruits, but has decided not to sign them yet to try to put UK in a situation of desperately needing to keep him at UK, in order to avoid having the cupboard bare.

We can't know.

But what we can know is that if Cal did have a lot of players promised, and if he could get them to not sign until things clarify, Cal would probably do exactly this.

This is bidness.

Now look at it from the Nets POV.

They need a big infusion of talent.

They don't care how it comes. They only care that it comes fast and in large, dominant quality.

The Nets don't care about Cal.

The Nets care about locking in talent.

Once they lock the talent in, they can try Cal, or fire him.

Cal knows this.

This is why this deal is tenous.

But a deal is a deal until it can't happen.

This deal with the Nets could still happen.

Therefore, it is still being used by Cal, the Nets, and UK not only to explore the net benefits of change, but also the net benefits of perpetuating the status quo.

newyorkjayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

wissoxfan83 got me thinking... i've commented on a few blogs about a few teams, namely KY and Cuse, but who is the "other" best team in the nation behind KU? I've written before that KY has obvious maturity issues (Vandy got in their head, and almost provoked them to lose their cool and the game the other night), free throw nightmares, and a less than jolly assist/TO ratio (besides, Callipari is terrible in-game). meanwhile, i've also suggested that Cuse lacks a true center and point guard, is an even worse free throw shooting team than KY, and has minimal depth. Cuse and Kentucky each have their strengths, though. UK has some outside flash between Bledsoe and Wall (just some natural athleticism and skills that can't be coached), and some undeniable strength on the post between Cousins, Patterson, and Orton. Meanwhile, this year is the best 2-3 zone Cuse has had EVER, while they also have a very gifted Wes Johnson, great field goal efficiency between Jackson and Onuaku, and Rautins is the perfect glue man (think Morningstar with a more depended-upon role, due to lack of depth). Either way, i have determined that the Jayhawks can wax both of'em.

I honestly feel that the second best team in the nation is split between these two. If they would face each other, it'd be a heck of a game to watch. And i'd be biting my nails from start to finish if Kansas had to face either one. Other teams to worry about, in my mind are Duke, Mich St, and Texas. I believe Purdue, Nova, WVU, and several others are a tad over-rated. Meanwhile, Texas is in a terrible slump, but their true talent combined with their depth still makes for a terrifying team come tourney time. Duke has something special brewing, and Mich St is simply a VERY well coached team, with solid balance, and an ability to play several styles of ball.

Anyone else have an opinion on who the second best team in the land is, behind our beloved Jayhawks, other than UK or SU?

Steve Brown 4 years, 1 month ago

a few weeks ago when it was leaked a rumor about Coach K Dook talking to Nets, I said to a pal, how funny, that was leaked by Calimari agent...as a red herring. He's gone something is rotten in Lexington.

UMass then Memphis just as well hope KY gets the final four banner up and then taken down as misery loves company.

MikenDahl: As for your teams I would agree, like '88 let some quality teams fall before we play them, except Huggy Bear West Virginia, fun to meet him in elite eight game.

Cornell likely be a 11/12 seed and could upset some 5/6 seed on a given night.... could happen.

William Blake 4 years, 1 month ago

100 - What you say makes perfect sense to me. I haven't followed pro ball since it was a game with Bird, Magic and Isiah! I'm pro illiterate.

What I am sure is Cal is always looking for the next deal. He's the "sizzle" of a deal, but never the steak. And what you say makes perfect sense because I know what kind of guy Cal is. He's left his stench throughout the college basketball world.

I'm amazed UK stooped this low. I know the stories about point shaving, etc.... but that was a long time ago. Even though they've been lousy for years, they have enough of a legacy to create a good environment. They took it all and flushed it down the toilet by hiring Cal.

All those defensive fans come on here defending and attacking. But it won't be long before they'll be next in line... behind Memphis... and joining the Cal hate list.

I just want a shot at Cal again in the tourney. Wasn't the last time we played Kentucky the time with Roy and a 55 point victory? 150 points in one game! I'd like to see this team top that disparity. I don't know what I dislike more... the arrogance of Cal or the arrogance of Wall, or the arrogance of Cousins. I feel terribly sorry for Patterson... he seems like an okay guy.

bnet0000 4 years, 1 month ago

100 4 years, 1 month ago

Drgnslyr,

This is business at this point for Cal.

I guarantee you Lebron & his conversations are not about college ball anymore.

When he's telling his players to call Lebron, Tyreke Evans or Derrick Rose (he does) for pointers, it makes it pretty easy to see what he thinks his next job will be.

He failed in Jersey once, true.

But he had no players. And no money. And no NBA offense.

But the Nets staff loved Cal, at least that was their public statements 10 yrs ago.

Give Cal some players & money in the NBA & see what happens, especially two of the best in wall & lebron.

I seriously think he's gone, otherwise there'd be actual signed uk recruits for next year.

William Blake 4 years, 1 month ago

mikendal - Oh mannnnnnn, did you have to remind me? ;)

I can easily see Kentucky getting the #1 overall seed, if we lose one game between now and the tourney... Kentucky has a cupcake season remaining. Which if UK does get the overall 1 spot it will be a real laugh because I doubt they make it to the Final Four.

There are a million reasons why UConn shouldn't do anything.. but I just keep an eye on them. They have a team full of thoroughbred athletes that run like gazelles... They remind me of a smaller Baylor, but have more talent.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 1 month ago

oldalum-- Rest assured, if the Hawks don't fall flat on our faces, we should be the overall #1 seed. Cornell will be playing someone else. I could see them playing a K-State, though. I would love to see that game!

Mike Kendall 4 years, 1 month ago

slayer---March is a week from tomorrow, btw. Texas just lost Balbay for the season, right? They had to carry him off the court. I believe it was torn ACL, but I hate to speculate. That's has to hurt their team depth.

UCONN will get beat by a mid-major---it seams to happen a lot. The Big 12 will probably get seven teams in---would love to see the Big 12 do well in the Big Dance.

oldalum 4 years, 1 month ago

I wonder what top seed is going to draw Cornell. Man, I hope it isn't us again. Once was enough if they are still playing the way they did in Lawrence.

William Blake 4 years, 1 month ago

Thanks for the link... that's a very different story than what I found and pasted in above. I can believe this story, which doesn't say Calipari and the Nets are close to a deal.

I can see the story above spreading like wildfire and creating for a situation where UK will have to deal with it and make an official statement denouncing it.

Something could come from it all, and maybe the deal gets made, but the story I pasted in above seems to be a hoax, because I couldn't find it on the wire.

mikendal - I guess you are getting geared up for March! I'm only that way about the Hawks, and have intentionally avoided going to deep in thought about the other teams in March, because when I do I won't be worth a darn, and my work requires more from me.

I've got some rough ideas of teams I think will be contenders... There are plenty of great teams out there, but all of them have holes somewhere, except Kansas. I think Syracuse is a real threat. I always keep my eye on Michigan State... Georgetown... I can see reaching Elite Eight, maybe more. Same with Duke. I've had a hard time warming up to Villanova.... sorry, Scottie! And out of the far corner of my eye I'll keep an eye on UConn and Baylor.

I don't expect much out of Texas or Kentucky. Texas is lost in space, and Kentucky is living in a freshman dream.

So far, I just can't see anyone hanging with the Hawks as long as we play well.

William Blake 4 years, 1 month ago

And Calipari has already coached the Nets... you think they would pay big bucks and bring him back?

William Blake 4 years, 1 month ago

100 - Do you have a link to a real Kentucky paper reporting this? If so, it may not be a spoof! I thought it smelled like a spoof, and if it is, it could harm the UK run this year. I know we don't need any advantage on UK because come March, we'll squish them like a bug if given the chance.

I'd love to see a link to a real Kentucky paper reporting this as real off the wire.

I went to the ap site and searched Calipari and didn't find it... here was the outcome:

100 4 years, 1 month ago

Drgnslyr,

Listen we all know business on this site, it's a pretty clear thing that the Nets are looking at a boatload of money if they are trying to pull these strings. I'm talkin being in the black for the first time in years. Like bigtime.

Yes they'll have to fork out money to get it rolling, but obviously worth it for a 10 year run in the NBA.

All I know is a Kentucky paper is reporting it & Kitty Cats fans don't seem too pumped about it.

Let's put it this way: if you were GM &/ or owner of the Nets, the losingness team in basketball, wouldn't you be in contact with Calipari (an ex Nets coach), considering he has a great relationship with Lebron, Wall & Cousins, not to mention Rose?

As my grandson says, "Just sayin"....

One year.

I know it's hard to believe but it looks like those Memphis fans were right.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 1 month ago

asn_snsation--- What can we continue to say? The SEC is weak!!! I think it was 1 of 20 or so, from threes, for Vandy---still pretty freakin' bad. I think Texas A&M or Baylor could win the SEC. K-State, definitely. Foxsports.com? I get all my sports right here, thank-you very much!

Mike Kendall 4 years, 1 month ago

I must be pushing the button twice or something--sorry for posting twice again. At least I'm not wasting paper!!! Or am I?

Luan Do 4 years, 1 month ago

wichita mid-continent airport aka icthawkfan316, you hit the nail on the mothereffing coffin. the sec is so weak even kstate could win that league. who the hell wins by 2 when the other team is like 1-50 on threes? foxsports.com just posted a poll showing fans think kentucky is playing better than ku right now. that's it i'm not letting my special ed class vote on online polls anymore. just jiving.

William Blake 4 years, 1 month ago

As much as I despise Kentucky... if this is a spoof I wouldn't be apart of spreading it in a serious way to continue to grow the spoof... that would make me an antler! ;)

Didn't the antlers pull this stunt on KU when Larry Brown was around? I kind of recall an "official" AP release explaining Larry Brown going to pros.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 1 month ago

100, drgnslayr, ralster--- I know you all know this--- this is why the Big Dance is so much fun! In years past, there is always a top seed or two that bites the dust. With so much parity in college basketball this year, the tournament should be extremely suspenseful and full of drama. Of course, hope the Jayhawks don't make it too suspenseful getting to Indy. I will have several teams circled in RED that I hope will lose early before the Final 4:

KENTUCKY DUKE SYRACUSE MICHIGAN STATE (Only because they beat out the Jayhawks last year!) NOVA WEST VIRGINIA GEORGETOWN TENNESSEE {Notice who I have at the top of the list!!!!}

One can only hope that one or more of the above teams will bite the dust before the Final 4. Come Selection Sunday, the pieces of the puzzle will come together.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 1 month ago

William Blake 4 years, 1 month ago

Wait... it looks like a spoof! And a good one at that, but just a spoof...

okiedave 4 years, 1 month ago

UNC slide down the ACC rankings demonstrates that basketball coaches are not any better than the players they are able to recruit. For this reason you will rarely see a coach go from a top tier program make a move to a lesser program -- even for the money. History shows that when they do the great coach does not look like a great coach any longer. This is exactly why Bill Self turned down the OSU job, but Roy was able to make a lateral move to his roots at another top tier school.

100 4 years, 1 month ago

Do it without quotes. There's several stories/ blogs etc.

The Kentucky Kernel is a newspaper out of Kentucky that's confirming Nets are in contact with Cal.

William Blake 4 years, 1 month ago

Okay... I removed the ""... and found quite a bit... including this read which claims to put a release on the AP wire. If it is.... I certainly wouldn't expect UK to much of a threat in March when they know their coach is already gone to the NBA... thanks for the read, 100!

New Jersey Nets Name UK's John Calipari As New Head Coach

AP

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - John Calipari, who restored the University of Kentucky basketball program as one of the nation's top college teams, is leaving to coach the New Jersey Nets.

The NBA team announced today it had reached an agreement in principle with with Calipari.

"The Nets are working towards finalizing the agreement and will provide further information when it becomes available,' said Nets' president Rod Thorn in a statement.

"Everybody wants to test themselves at the highest level," said his agent, Craig Fenech. "He knew someday he would coach in the NBA again, but he didn't know if it would be this year, next year, or when. We just knew it eventually would happen again."

Terms were not disclosed but reports placed the figure at $30 million over three years.

Calipari, who for weeks had insisted he had no plans to leave UK, was not immediately available for comment.

William Blake 4 years, 1 month ago

100 - I Google Searched: "John Calipari to New Jersey Nets?"

and it only returned this page! Am I doing something wrong?

William Blake 4 years, 1 month ago

100 - I'll check it out and react on it. Thanks, 100!

100 4 years, 1 month ago

Drgnslyr,

google it. Kentucky Kernel article makes it official -- Cal's team is in contact with Nets & is considered by the New Jersey front office as "the candidate".

William Blake 4 years, 1 month ago

Cal is like fools gold..... looks expensive, and a sucka would pay big bucks in hopes of something more, but it's really worth nothing more than a glittery paperweight.

Won't be long before UK will be added to the list of angry schools left behind in the wake of the Cal...

Cal belongs in the pros... asap!

William Blake 4 years, 1 month ago

We spend so much time analyzing Kentucky... and analyzing this Hawk team compared to Hawk 08 team... then why don't we compare this Kentucky with the 08 Memphis? I think 08 Memphis would hand this Kentucky team their lunch in a lunchbox.

I'm with mikendal and ralster... we've got way too many experienced players to throw at UK. And while Cousins and Wall are excellent freshmen... they remain freshmen... and they can only deliver so many goods this year. The big threat with UK in March comes more from players like Patterson.

I'm doubtful UK can make it to the Final Four to match up with Kansas, but I hope they do!

100 4 years, 1 month ago

Google Search: "John Calipari to New Jersey Nets?"

Unbelievable. Man that's a lot of articles.

Well as fun as it's been this year, Lebron showing up contiually in Lexington finally makes complete sense.

Well, here's the deal: it will clean up the college game if he goes & as much as I don't like the money side of it as it came from running away from a violation, he'll make twice as much money in New Jersey off of marketing with Wall & Lebron (& heck Cousins if they trade up).

Jersey is gonna be good. And wealthy for several years. And Cal is gonna be one rich man, thanks to Derrick Rose & Wes Anderson.

I can't believe it is happening this fast, but I guess it makes sense if you look at the recruits Cal did have (past tense) coming in for the 2010-2011 season at the college level (next to zero).

His wife Ellen must be happy this is moving forward, I know she has a lot of good friends there from a few years back & it is nowhere near the crazy fishbowl Cal put them in Lexington (still can't believe the house they chose, talk about paparrazi central, that's not any easy gig considering their house was right by the fishfood & new scale outlet stores).

Ralster Jayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Final Calipari-thought for today: Put Calipari in the BigXII, and see how he does...lol!

Ralster Jayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Of course, if KY's OADs truly do bolt for the NBA, Calipari's ship may capsize anyway since as of now (late Feb.), he has little in the pipeline for next year. Talk about a high, high-maintenance beast he has created...Without truly top echelon OAD talent that can naturally outplay 80% of Div1 players, his concept will implode, as he is forced into the narrowest of recruiting boxes...which explains why he will stop at nothing to land recruits, and he knows it. (Currently "using" the name of KY and its past tradition to bolster his sales pitch). Boy, to think he and Bill Self started as assistants on the same KU bench under the same coach (Larry Brown) at about the same time-- is really quite startling...

Ralster Jayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

lighthawk, Totally agree with that list of legit Tourney opponents...each has some deficiency or exploitable facet...I dont dislike any of them like I do KY, though, hence my 'time' spent on KY. I would enjoy beating Duke (and we should have advantages over them). Most of my disdain for KY is focused on their non-coach, their concept of an NBA-farm program, and the way some of their fans have directly tried to blast us while they, of all programs, live in a glass house (with alot of holes...)...they need to lose for all the right reasons, and preferrably not requiring a royalty program (us)to do it.

Ralster Jayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

mikendal, agreed. Even in the scheme of a tight Self-defense, Brady and Reed could give valuable minutes and skill on Liggins, or Dodson, or even Bledsoe, & who knows maybe Wall too... Wall & Bledsoe perhaps inexperienced and cocky enough to take it to the hole near the Condor...

Frankly, KY hasnt faced anything like Self Defense this season. You know how I am betting...

Steve Brown 4 years, 1 month ago

Oxcal: picking on TT and down on X was so January...

Steve Brown 4 years, 1 month ago

Early December KY beat UNC by 2 and next game beat UCONN by 3. DO we need to see those tapes, no we don't.

Late in both halfs use all of TRob and JW fouls to hack Cousins, sending his tired arse to the line... Calimari, Wall join Lebron at the NJ Nets next fall.... to avoid NCAA sanctions and crazy KY asylum. (for coach Cal the grass is always greener) The national media will get Calimari to not give a flip about the Nets and his team won't be able to get head on right.

All this won't matter as Cornell bounces them in 3rd round.

Syracuse, Dook, WVirg, Nova, BYU & Mich State matter more than the kids from KY.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 1 month ago

oxcaljayhawk--- Uhh, that was not me. It's a humbling experience when one has to eat crow!!!!!

Mike Kendall 4 years, 1 month ago

Ralster ---- the last sentence that you said---really funny!!!!

Cole & Marcus will eat Cousins for lunch. Along with our help side defense, Kentucky's bigs will be schooled, if we played them. The major thing I would be concerned about (if we meet them down the road) would be John Wall. We wouldn't want him to have an All-Star night against the Hawks. That's where Tyshawn and Sherron would tag team on Wall and wear him down and get him frustrated. It makes for an interesting match up, that's for sure!

BTW, if you haven't heard, #3 Nova went down today. Big East is beaten each other up. They may get the most teams in the Dance, but after their PS Tourney, a lot of the teams will have tired legs, IMO.

Hank Cross 4 years, 1 month ago

Where are the people who were saying a couple of weeks ago that X was a bust and Brady was a better starter than TT? This starting 5 is as good as any in college b-ball, and will probably be favored to win the championship. Brady, Reed are not starters or closers, but are now free to fulfill their true roles as quality minutes in relief.

Ralster Jayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Regarding KY: Patterson, it is said, doesnt like to bang down low. Cousins, well I would love to "call him" out regarding his gametime emotions. Eventhough Calipari has his hands full keeping Cousins focused, Im sure we can keep the skilled big-bloo-baby busy with ColeMtn, and TwinTrouble (break-ur-nose or poke-ur-eye). Oh, and did Bledsoe just reveal to the Div1 nation that he can be flustered by tight defense? Yes, he did...(exploitable: Meet Brady Morn'Star--he might just drive u to drink...). KY looked pretty stale many times vs. zone defenses (and I mean non-Syracuse zoneD's). As posted above, the SEC cant hold a candle to the BigXII this year. Awesome fun in the making to see what Self does to Calipari+KY...

Did someone mention the "re-emergence" of Ashley Judd? Whoa, man, thanx for the warning...I try to avoid making 'bitter-beer-face' if at all possible...

KURocksChalk 4 years, 1 month ago

ESPN has already compared Henry and Wall and no doubt this will be even more prevalent during the tourney and will be the main topic if we end up playing Kentucky. My disclaimer is that I do not know either player, but just looking at them, the attitude comes through. I think the X-Man will win out in comparison because of attitude. It shows. The smile, the twinkle in the eye. He looks like he is fun to be around, but has the character to not get into the wrong kind of fun. Like I said, this is from a distance, but that is my perception. Therefore, success or failure in the short run will not nearly affect him as much as it will Wall it appears. The movie Chariots of Fire comes to mind. X-Man is Eric Little and Wall is Abrahams who just has to win or it would destroy him.

Ralster Jayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

...(extraneous 'the' before "Self & his 'Boys")...or I guess I could have capitalized it for "The Self"?

Ralster Jayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

I agree that the grass always looks greener (Ky Bloograss)--we microanalyze our own players every mistake, while it looks like Calipari's AAU team at KY just cannot lose, or Syracuse or whoever appears hot in a stretch of games... Well, I bet the rest of the country is saying the same about KU. Proof is on the hardwood. Win or lose, we all will still be Jayhawk fans (& alumni...). RCJH!

I'm with drgnslayr: time to enjoy the games & enjoy whatever Self still has up his sleeve...Its in the Self & his 'Boys' hands, as well as fate...

kubirdfan75 4 years, 1 month ago

I do see your point wissoxfan83 but as a fan i get tired of hearing all about these other teams that are so good just like NC and Memphis when we won in 08. I think that sense we are a one sport school and we are for the most part future years will be different I hope. I think two much time is spent on KU s bad days and not on the good ones unlike those Sur Orange guys and the KUntucky wall studs

kubirdfan75 4 years, 1 month ago

Steve Brown 4 years, 1 month ago

goal to get 7 Big 12 teams in tourney we'll need OSU to win in Austin or COllege Station most likely...as they are headed for 8/8 season with one more W ...it helps recruiting, $$$ and conf. reputation to get the most teams in the NCAA from the B12.

come on Turg. do it.

boy did longhorns go over the N. Falls or what?

Steve Gantz 4 years, 1 month ago

Nice to X get off the shnide.
KUBirdfan75 have to disagree with a few points. I don't think Roy left for the money. He went back home. Sure we beat him down in 08. Course last year after the round of 16 we watched him win his 2nd championship. He's a great coach. If he wasn't why were we all so upset when he left? Finally, I'm of the opinion, good SEC/bad SEC doesn't matter, Kentucky is a scary good team. Should we face them in the final 4, (probably with seeding #1's, we couldn't see them til the NC game) that it would be no shameful thing to lose to them. I think we're a better team, but is anyone else better than them? We'll see. Go Jayhawks.

William Blake 4 years, 1 month ago

X had a great game. The points just came natural, but he worked his rear off on d... sliding on the court for loose balls... I'd like to know how many defensive plays he was in that disrupted Colorado's offense.

CS's philosophy of playing loose is starting to soak in with X. He had so much to learn all year... the CS system, how to play d, both team d and man-to-man, figuring out college, uplifting his game intensity to match Big 12, etc etc etc.

At a certain point he needs to be less of a basketball student and become more of a player. It's that time. Obviously there are still holes in his game, but he's in position to contribute big to this team down the stretch, as long as he plays hard and has fun, he'll be big in March!

It's going to be great watching him play down the stretch!

Mike Kendall 4 years, 1 month ago

icthawkfan316--- "If that's the second best team the SEC has to offer (some could argue Tennessee), then it's clear that conference is far below the Big 12, Big East, & Big Ten in terms of competitiveness and in preparing for the NCAA Tournament."

Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SEC is not that good, folks!!! I have watched too many SEC games to know that this conference is like the USA conference that Memphis competed against in '08. Come Tourney time, I would love to see Kentucky get bounce out by a halfway decent team.

kubirdfan75 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm not one to rag on another team but I have a few things to say about a couple of teams. Starting with Roy Williams ; You left a good JayHawk team a few years back for the OTHER guys, lets make it clear it was for the money, with that said JayHawk Nation Thanks you. When you left you opened the door for one of the best Coaches if not the best in collage basketball. Yes you won a couple Championships good job but nothing i mean nothing was better than Cole shutting down your Golden Boy Hansbeen opps Hansbrough, to go on to beat the other coach i will bring up next...... and now you might get knocked out of the tourney by the Noles how sweet good luck making the NIT. Now for the other coach Caliparii and the KUntuckey Wildkittens the great player Wall is great on a ok team yes we lost to the Vols that was ranked but not to an unraked SC gamecock nice i hope your Wildkittens stay with one lose so when we meet in the Finals I hope Cole swats Walls week driving layup into the upper deck. We beat your real good team from Memphis as we will beat your KUntucky team. GAME ON BOYS GAME ON.

BrockIII 4 years, 1 month ago

Here are the '09-10 stats for the wings KU recruited last year before finally landing Henry... Snaer 9 PPG, 3 RPG Stephenson 12 PPG, 5 RPG, 2 APG Cheek 5 PPG, 3 RPG.

Despite Henry's frosh struggles, I think KU got the most well rounded ballplayer out of that group and was the best fit for team, in terms of play and personality. If he can get his stroke going and keep attacking around the basket, KU will be in great shape come March.

Kye Clark 4 years, 1 month ago

ralster - ESPN certainly has looked past the Carolina blue...only to see the Kentucky blue they are fixated on now. Understandably after KU wins at home against a Big 12 bottom feeder and Kentucky wins on the road at ranked Vanderbilt that UK would be getting a lot of coverage last night/today on TV and their website. However, it's been a season-long love-fest, from their hyping of John Wall as POY, to columns on their website creaming themselves over Calipari, to the re-emergence of Ashley Judd, and on and on. The only way it could be worse is if they had a TV deal for more of the SEC games.

As far as the Vanderbilt-UK game goes, Vandy played incredibly undisciplined. They scrapped and fought, but they were 2-20 from beyond the arc, which was over a third of their shots. At one point they were 1-18, they hit one to tie it, but down 2 again following a timeout they decided their best bet was to hoist up another one? And Cousins had 4 fouls for a decent bit of the home stretch of that game, yet they didn't try and attack him to get him to pick up his 5th. If that's the second best team the SEC has to offer (some could argue Tennessee), then it's clear that conference is far below the Big 12, Big East, & Big Ten in terms of competitiveness and in preparing teams for the NCAA tournament.

ParisHawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Lighthawk says "UNC v. FSU 2.24: may determine who gets to 2,000 1st."

Agreed. UNC needs two more wins to get to 2000 and it has two more home games, of which FSU is the toughest. They lose to FSU and they will probably be at 1999 at the end of the regular season. If KU wins out, we get to 2000 against Missouri.

Funny thing: imagine both teams are at 1999 at the end of conference play, and that both teams win their first conference tournament game. In that case, look how close it could get : KU would play for win 2000 on March 11th at 11:30 CST. UNC would play at 11 CST if they are the 9th seed, later if they are 10th or worse. So it's conceivable that who gets there first could boil down to the tournament schedules and ACC tournament seeds !

Ralster Jayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

UNC is but a shadow of their former selves. Im not gloating, as Im sure it sucks for Roy and UNC fans, but I like nothing better than this UNC-driven "shake-up" of the status quo in the media and maybe in the minds of some commentators employed by ESPN--maybe they will wake up and look past that Carolina blue...!

Steve Brown 4 years, 1 month ago

Loved watching Carl play years ago...I say we need more legacy's he he...Roger did his part where is the Kivisto, Stallworth, Knight kids, come on Simeon starting having some boys...

Back to reality, it is nice to have parents club active in Lawrence and mom's featured on the TV of the games, it does take a community given all the temptations and distractions. Don't know how many parents move to Larry town, but it seems we are getting more and more and that has to be good thing.

UNC v. FSU 2.24: may determine who gets to 2,000 1st.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 1 month ago

jbrownjib--- Totally agree! Cole had his usual good game. X is coming around. He hasn't totally matured yet but he's getting there. With X having a good game, opponents have somebody else to worry about. Then, there was Tyshawn Taylor's game! He had a chip on his shoulder. He played with passion and was on a mission. The game yesterday showed that when KU plays close to its best, how can anyone beat them, even Kentucky. SEC, btw, is no where close to the Big 12. Tyshawn's game elavated KU's game. Coach Self, (man, he knows how to motivate) said they didn't play their best---"there's so much other areas we can work on." With Selection Sunday three weeks away, KU is definitely on the upswing and they definitely have an upside right now. Hope it continues---Rock Chalk, Jayhawks---go get Oklahoma!!!!!

jbrownjib 4 years, 1 month ago

I thought it was interesting comment that its easier to give good kids encouragement. It is also great to have good kids on your team to encourage. I want X to do well because he is a good kid. Looking at Kentucky, or John Wall's team in comparison, the focus in on one guy all of the time. Kansas has many good players who all shine together. SC can have a bad night and either team defense will win or Aldrich, X, Morris or Taylor will have a good night. Sometimes the pick-up will come from Reed hitting a 3 or Morningstar shutting down the other teams best scorer. Whatever the situation, X is a good fit for KU.

jhox 4 years, 1 month ago

I do like Henry's attitude...always smiling, even during his slump. It would be petty easy for a guy who probably went into the season with the mind set that he would be a lottery pick at the end of the year, to start to show bad body language, and maybe even be a bad teammate. It's a credit to him that he's stayed positive, and seems to be enjoying being with his teammates, and enjoying his team's success. He will be a lottery pick, but probably not quite as quickly as he hoped.

Self has done a great job of recruiting guys with good personalities who genuinely seem to like each other. That's a big reason he's been so successful.

jayhawk1866 4 years, 1 month ago

We are hitting on most cylinders and I am really digging this team.

jayhawker_97 4 years, 1 month ago

glad to see X played effective game like this. but i'm with papa Carl on “Actually, he should work a little bit harder.” we're ONLY shooting 54%. Taylor should have a spotlight on this site - he earns it. ;)