Saturday, November 28, 2009

SNL actor in ‘House’

KU guard Xavier Henry and center Cole Aldrich pressure Tennessee Tech's Kevin Murphy Friday, Nov. 27, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Audio clips

2009 KU-Tennessee Tech

Reader poll

Who is your favorite KU basketball lefty from the last 20 years?

• Raef LaFrentz 38% 1098 votes
  • Keith Langford 28% 821 votes
  • Rex Walters 17% 499 votes
  • Xavier Henry 9% 271 votes
  • Other 6% 191 votes

2880 total votes.

Videos

KU vs. Tennessee Tech

video thumbnail

KU takes on Tennessee Tech Friday, Nov. 27, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

“Saturday Night Live” actor Jason Sudeikis, a huge Kansas University basketball fan who graduated from Shawnee Mission West, attended the game and sat lower-level, east side. He was introduced to the crowd via the videoboard during the second half.

Sudeikis remained long after the game, signing autographs and posing for pictures for fans. He made his way to the locker room, where he visited with KU coach Bill Self for 10 minutes, then signed more autographs before leaving with former KU player Greg Gurley.

The cast members of “SNL” are well aware of Sudeikis’ love for KU hoops.

“It’s pretty well known at this point,” Sudeikis said. “I wear my game shorts, the ones I bought online, before every show.”

He tries to sneak KU gear into skits whenever possible, plugging KU on national TV.

“The wardrobe department actually buys and finds things for me,” Sudeikis said. “Like the vintage one I have in the Zac Efron sketch where I’m giving him a foot rub. That one they actually bought for me. They found it in some fancy store in New York and said, ‘Hey, I think we found something you are gonna like.’ They showed it to me. I said, ‘Oh yeah!’’’

Sudeikis proudly said he, “went to Rockhurst two years like (Conner) Teahan, except he graduated from there. Then I graduated from Shawnee Mission West.”

Sudeikis did not attend KU.

He said he was flattered by all the fans who mobbed him for autographs Friday.

“Very nice,” he said. “I had no idea. You sometimes forget when you are working on the show people sometimes watch it.”

Sudeikis sat with KU graduate Rob Riggle, formerly of Saturday Night Live and The Daily Show. Riggle was also introduced to the crowd.

Hot ’n’ Cole: Cole Aldrich snapped a slump by scoring 14 points off 5-of-8 shooting. He added 10 rebounds.

“It was nice. It was a relief,” Aldrich said. “I’m happy to get through a little funk. It’s a little weight off my back knowing I can finally play the way I used to play.”

Aldrich had been ill lately.

“I was sick a few days,” he said. “Yesterday I got into the gym 40 minutes before practice. I threw up about 100 hook shots. I got in shootaround early, tried to work on my game and it paid off.”

Self sends message: Aldrich scored eight points in the final five minutes of the first half, returning after he and four others were removed from the game following an 8-0 Tennessee Tech run. Conner Teahan (eight points) was one of the subs who played well as a first-half sub.

“It was a message to all of ’em,” Self said. “We were up 18, and they go on a run because we start jacking around. Conner was instant offense for us.”

Stats, facts: KU’s 112 points were most scored in a game in the Self era. It’s the most points since scoring 113 versus Emporia State on Dec. 14, 2002. Previous high in the Self era was 109 versus Texas Tech on March 3, 2008. ... Jordan Juenemann scored six points. He had yet to score in a regular-season game in his career.

Comments

Billy Derringer 4 years, 8 months ago

i love how self knows how to jockey his team, alittle whip every now and then is good.

yates33333 4 years, 8 months ago

Self needs to push them more to play defense. They have trouble even against these tank teams.

Dyrk Dugan 4 years, 8 months ago

the rebounding is also poor. they go after every rebound like it's their life now, and they forget fundamentals like blocking someone out.

but these are things now, that Self can live with. well, he NEVER lives with lousy defense and suspect rebounding....but he knows it will improve. he'll make sure of it.

thmdmph 4 years, 8 months ago

what happened to the free throws this year. hope Ku is not going to be Memphis in Mar/Apr.

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 8 months ago

Cole said..."I was sick a few days.......I threw up about 100 hook shots" Interesting choice of verbage!

Ok, maybe I'm the only one who thoght that was a little funny.

Wasn't Jason Sudeikis in an SNL skit where he was playing one on one with LeBron? It seem like there was some sort of KU apparel,etc. in that skit. Anybody remember that?

Eurekahwk 4 years, 8 months ago

"Gurley and Sudeikis play pick-up basketball at the Athletic Club of Overland Park."

Yeah, I bet that's what they were going to go do after the game! Not!

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 4 years, 8 months ago

Sudeikis is awesome. We need him & Paul Rudd to come to more KU games. Much better than lame Ashley Judd....

Kent Wells 4 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, Sudekis is better than Ashley Judd. What was I thinking??? Reminds me of the engineer/talking frog joke...

An engineer was crossing a road one day when a frog called out to him, "If you kiss me, I'll turn into a beautiful princess." He bent over, picked up the frog and put it in his pocket.

The frog spoke up again and said, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a beautiful princess, I will stay with you for one week." The engineer took the frog out of his pocket, smiled at it, and returned it to the pocket.

The frog then cried out, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a princess, I'll stay with you and do anything you want." Again the engineer took the frog out, smiled at it, and put it back into his pocket.

Finally, the frog asked, "What is the matter? I've told you that I'm a beautiful princess, that I'll stay with you for a week, and that I'll do anything you want. Why won't you kiss me?" The engineer said, "Look, I'm an engineer. I don't have time for a girlfriend; but a talking frog, now that's cool.

So, milwaukeeJ, are you an engineer by any chance???

Topside 4 years, 8 months ago

Dude...WTF?! Where is the love for Rob Riggle who was also in the house and a KU and SNL alum. He is on the daily show and has roles in a bunch on movies. Sorry Rob. I was there and think highly of both you and Jason. Keep up the good work and keep coming to games. ROck Chalk!