Originally published December 14, 2009 at 09:09a.m., updated December 15, 2009 at 02:48a.m.

Turner Gill moves quickly to put new coaching team together

Turner Gill greets daughters Jordan, center, and Margaux, right, after Gill was introduced as KU’s football coach during a news conference on Dec. 14, 2009.

Videos

Turner Gill: A new era

video thumbnail

Turner Gill is officially the new head coach of KU football.

Turner Gill didn’t waste much time getting down to business Monday morning.

Barely a minute into the news conference officially announcing his arrival as Kansas University’s new football coach, Gill, who was joined by his wife, Gayle, and daughters Jordan and Margaux, began laying out his plans for building a consistent football juggernaut.

“Our purpose is to bring this program to a point where we’re going to sustain a winning football tradition here year after year,” said Gill, who arrives after a four-year stint as head coach at the University at Buffalo in New York.

Gill’s opening speech covered a wide range of topics — the experience he gained during his time at Buffalo, his ties to Kansas University (Jordan is a sophomore at KU and recently began work in the school’s athletic department) — and ended with an emphatic “Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU,” which he admitted his daughter had recently helped him master.

Also Monday, Gill named former San Diego State head coach Chuck Long and current Mississippi State defensive coordinator Carl Torbush as his offensive and defensive coordinator, respectively, while adding Aaron Stamn — a Buffalo assistant — as his tight ends/special teams coach.

Gill, who finished with a record of 20-30 in his four seasons at Buffalo, replaces Mark Mangino, who resigned under pressure earlier this month following an investigation into his treatment of players.

“It’s always got to be at the right place at the right time,” Gill said of his choice to accept the Kansas job. “And this is the right place at the right time for Turner Gill and his family.”

Comments

chezlog 5 years, 7 months ago

I'm buyin' my football tickets tomorrow to show my support. Come on Turner, you've got Fans.

RckChalkJeff 5 years, 7 months ago

Funny...I'm officially not renewing my season tickets as of right now.

100 5 years, 7 months ago

Watch the YouTube Clip "Speechless, MAC championship" --

THIS is the kind of guy we want representing Kansas football!!!!

This guy will be able to bring in so many 4 & 5 star recruits!!!!!

Nebraska will be dying to steal Coach Gill from us, but they're already locked into Coach Pelini for the next 30 years!!!!

Rock Chalk!!!!

Jim Sanders 5 years, 7 months ago

Where do I buy a 30 year ticket to the Gridiron Club? I look forward to KU football Buffalo style. Hopefully Lew will be gone soon. I'm ready to send this joke of an AD back to the Big East where football is king.

kingpin 5 years, 7 months ago

Go Coach Gill!! I can't wait for 9/4/10.

Kenneth Hillman 5 years, 7 months ago

You've got my support Coach Gill.

Rock Chalk!!

ryanzig 5 years, 7 months ago

Come on guys lets support this guy until we have a reason not to. we're true fans and we have to support our team no matter what. 100, thanks for the youtube info, I'll check it out!

Bryan Summers 5 years, 7 months ago

I've been following Gill for the past two years... I'm glad we got him.... RCJKU!!!

kansas22 5 years, 7 months ago

Some KU fans are such whiners. Get over it. So we didn't get Bill Parcells to come coach our football team. Anyone who doesn't think that Lew Perkins is a good AD is pretty much an idiot. Let's see, since he's been here we've won a national title in basketball, along with every Big XII regular season title. Not to mention a brand new practice facility and upgrades to Allen Fieldhouse. In football, a BCS bowl game and has added a state-of-the-art football complex along with brand new practice fields, and are about to even add more seating to Memorial with the addition of the Gridiron Club. Also, all of the upgrades that are to be made for the Olympic Village deal. Seriously? Bad Athletic Director? Find something else to complain about. You're not going to support our new football coach before he even coach's a game? Fine, go be a Vanderbilt Commodore fan. I, for one, think Coach Gill was a great hire. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'll give the man a few years before I actually call this a bad hire. Show some support.

rawkhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

KU is fortunate to have Perkins as AD, and to have Turner Gill as FB coach. I am excited to see where he takes the program. It is time for Jayhawk nation to unite behind Coach Gill.

timtation 5 years, 7 months ago

You guys are dead wrong and stupid someone says he's a good hire and you guys take their word for it. He is the bottom of the barrel coach. You don't go from MAC to Big 12. I'm not saying we can get the cream of the crop that would be dumb to say but even a assistant coach from the Big12,SEC,PAC 10,Big 10,ACC would have been a better hire.

Joe Baker 5 years, 7 months ago

I'm excited and believe great things will only come from Gill!

Go HCGT!!

RCJHKU

Jetson 5 years, 7 months ago

Timtation,

Please do your best to check Gill's credentials before opening your mouth:

Gill was previously an assistant coach In the Big 12 At Nebraska

Anything else to whine about??

thanks

dhawk31 5 years, 7 months ago

I hope it's on metro sports in the kc area....anyone know?

Bryan Anderson 5 years, 7 months ago

timtation- Woody Hayes, Bo Schembechler, Urban Meyer, Nick Saban were all coaches in the MAC, and I think they all turned out to be ok. Not to mention Glen Mason and Gary Pinkel, who went from the MAC to Big 12 schools.

Mangino_Maniac 5 years, 7 months ago

I still would've taken Tuberville first... did Lew even talk to him?

Anyhow, Gill is someone who will invigorate the program, and lift any cloud from the 'mangino ways'... players should be much more excited to play for Gill. Of the many positives about Gill, the liklihood he will stay in Lawrence for a long time is perhaps the most appealing (I think Tuberville would've have stayed for a good while too, but that's a moot point now).

Plenty to be excited about with Turner Gill... I'm happy to have him as our new coach.

bigjaybabyjay 5 years, 7 months ago

Current and former players are excited, fans should be too!

kugrad93 5 years, 7 months ago

People assuming Gill won't succeed because he's from the MAC need to do their homework. Plenty of good coaches have succeeded in BCS conferences after moving up from smaller schools. You could add the late Northwestern coach Randy Walker to the list Mr_A posted above.

As for Tuberville, he's about eight years older than Gill. And other than the one year he spent at A&M, he's spent his whole career in the southeast. Between his age and his roots, I doubt he would have stayed at KU long if he had been given the job.

Matt Gauntt 5 years, 7 months ago

I really wasn't excited about this pick, but he's ours now - no sense whining about it anymore. All the best ot you coach Gill. Hope you find KU a pleasant place to be, and here's to a ton of victories.

Welcome, Coach.

Mangino_Maniac 5 years, 7 months ago

kugrad93... I at first thought the same about Tuberville, and that he wouldn't stay long. But talking to a couple close friends who are SEC grads and follow SEC football like crazy people (knowing the names of high school freshmen they want to be Bulldogs, etc is crazy in my book), they think Tuberville would've been a fantastic hire, and that he would've stayed in Lawrence for a long time.

I'll just say this... lookout if he ends up at A&M in a year or two and starts making some serious noise... we may all say 'wow, we could've had him'.

But I'm on board with Coach Gill... we should all be excited!!!

truefan 5 years, 7 months ago

p>Rivals.com is already reporting that the #17 inside linebacker in the nation may follow Gill to Kansas. Right now, KU has the #20 inside lineback signed. So, before even having a press conference, the best Juco QB has committed to KU, and he might get the #17 linebacker to leave Miss. St. and come to KU. Sounds like players like him and they were just waiting for him to take a big time coaching job somewhere. So far so good.

Hawkman_021 5 years, 7 months ago

To all the fans that dont like the hire i just have one thing to say, dont renew your season tickets and when he gets us over the hill that Mangino has gotten us halfway up I dont want to see any of you back on here singing how great Coach Gill is. Ive already got my renewal in and I am ready to help push the team up and over that hill and up the moutain.

yed 5 years, 7 months ago

Welcome to Jayhawk Nation, Coach Gill!

Very exciting times.

Joseph Kuebel 5 years, 7 months ago

OHH YESS!! Thanks for the rrecruiting update- 17th rated inside linebacker? KU hasn't had a linebacker ranked that high - (in the past 10 years)?!?! (wow already outdoing Mangino -IN DAY #1 OF THE JOB!!!! )

Thank you Turner Gill!

Here's to continuing it with class, and in a standup way!!!! And this is why he gets players that will support him!!!! This is the way it is done! I love that you are already outdoing the big guy!!!!

We are in sooo much better of a position than we were 1 month ago...about to lose our current players, our recruits, and everything that was built...now that the tank is gone we have saved our recruits! Kept our current players! Finally have an organized "team" instead of that fathead in charge...An actual Defensive and Offensive coordinator will be great for a change!! Instead of another coordinator that is unqualified like when Mangino decided Clint Bowen was a good idea- Right after the Orange Bowl you can't find anyone better than Clint Bowen??? Are you kidding me, I'm so glad this lazy fat guy is gone. So lazy, so worthless. No wonder his connections were terrible, he was ran out of town in Kstate, and now he was ran outta here too!

And he already knows the area!!!

Everytime I read about this guy I like him more and more...and I will be honest I wanted Tuberville at first...upon further review...I like this even better!

suttonku 5 years, 7 months ago

How can you not like this hire? This guy has everything we need. He has rebuilt a program before. He has played in this conference so he knows what it takes. He recruits very well, especially in Texas. And hes a likable guy. He will be great for KU.

Jory Collins 5 years, 7 months ago

Timtation, any response to the list of guys that came from the MAC and are extremely successfull????? Not to mention Gill was an assistant at Nebraska when they had some of their best teams ever.

Don't type from the hip.

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

geez, this guy annoys the hell out of me. I miss Mangino the football coach. Why did we hire Reverend Gill?

milehighhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

Great press conference. Looking forward to what he can do.

Mcflycat: "Saw wood." Feel better? Mangino never said a damn thing to the media.

Would you rather Gill come off as an a-hole in his introductory press conference?

Bill Kackley 5 years, 7 months ago

This was not my choice. I was a Mark Mangino fan. After watching the news conference I am SOLD on Turner Gil. Rock Chawk, Jayhawk.

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

After watching this press conference... I am SOLD the Lew Perkins is a SUCKER.

honk_for_hawks 5 years, 7 months ago

I keep thinking of Denzel Washington's character from Remember the Titans when I watch him speak. And I'm not saying that because he is African-American, he just sounds like Denzel's character in the movie. hopefully he is as successful here as the real Herman Boone was in the movie.

roc_chalk_a_fella 5 years, 7 months ago

I was a Mangino fan too, but let's give Gill a chance.

What other option do we have? Sit back and whine? Support of the coach translates into support of the team. That translates to higher morale and better on-field results.

Suck it up people, he might surprise us!

Welcome to KU, Gill!

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

I LOVE supporting losers. Terry Allen was fun to support. Mangino wasn't as fun because he had a winning record. Good thing we fired him.

KU_Alumn_2000 5 years, 7 months ago

I like the positive attitude most of u have. But you're in for big dissapointment with this regime change.

Trust me...hope gill proves me wrong...but most of the positive momentum that mangino created for this program will likely crumble in the next 2 - 5 years.

Brett Marsteller 5 years, 7 months ago

Quit posting your negative comments myflycat! We don't need your BS on here!

Welcome to KU Turner Gill!

Rock Chalk

Paul Rupp 5 years, 7 months ago

I'm on board. Welcome to Jayhawk Nation Coach Gill---

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

You got me all wrong. Welcome to Kansas Coach Gill. I hope you can turn your losing record in the MAC to a winning record in the BIG 12... Uh, good luck with that Coach.

shelleysue 5 years, 7 months ago

I am very curious to see where all the KU coaching staff ends up.

kcgridiron 5 years, 7 months ago

One thing is for sure...Perkins is one guy you want playing in your poker game!..LOL...The eyebrow raise is classic..."I can tell you that Turner was the only one we offered the job to."...BFS!...You go all in with that!..LOL...Anyway..I wanted to hear what TG had to say and he has my full support...Unleash the beast!...RCJH!

jayhawkintx73 5 years, 7 months ago

All those that said they aren't going to renew your season tickets, if Gill leads us to a Big 12 North Championship, a Big 12 Championship, and a date in a BCS Title Game, I'm going to hold you to it. You can't buy season tickets ever again as long as Lew Perkins remains AD.

Ryan Shelton 5 years, 7 months ago

Anyone know what brand of X's and O's Coach Gill Prescribes to? Since he played for Nebraska, I assume he's an option guy? If so, next year's GT game ought to be fun to watch.

qrex 5 years, 7 months ago

mcflycat,

Was the pity party scheduled for today? I didn't see it on the calendar. Seriously, what exactly do you want to happen?

jkanev 5 years, 7 months ago

mcflycat - Mangino had a winning record because of his non-conference games. In the ENTIRE Big 12 conference, he was only above .500 against one team: Iowa State. And, he was under .500 against 7 of the remaining 10 teams. Mangino got us as far as he could, and I see no reason to not believe in Gill Turner. Rub the cynicism out of your eyes and be a fan.

rockchalk86 5 years, 7 months ago

Give it up mcwhinecat. Major schools have been looking at this guy for the past couple seasons. Tom Osbourne said telling Gill he didn't get the Nebraska job was one of the hardest things he's had to do. His record may not have been the best at Buffalo, but he at least turned the program around. He has my support. Time will tell and if it doesn't work out a few years down the road, complain then.

honk_for_hawks 5 years, 7 months ago

mcflycat and all the other whiners just need to shut up and find the positives even if you don't like the choice. If he goes through his first season and goes 2-10 or something like that, you can start your stupid whining again, but right now you have no idea how next year is going to turn out because you don't know what a coach like gill can do with big XII level players and facilities. Stop complaining about the record. We're talking about Buffalo here. Buffalo is a running joke in movies and television. He managed to win a conference championship there. He is a former Heisman trophy winner with strong religious values from TEXAS. do you have any idea how well that plays to southern recruits especially in texas? he is going to get high level recruits once he has a full recruiting cycle. he might even steal a couple late in the game this year. as for mangino, even if he is still a good coach, which i still believe he is, do you have any idea how badly the investigation and all the stories that came out hurt his recruiting image? if Kansas had a hard time getting 4 star recruits before, how hard do you think it would be if we kept the coach whose players basically hate him? just grow the f up and back your school or move to columbia.

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

If Gill leads us to a Big 12 North Championship, a Big 12 Championship, and a date in a BCS Title Game, I'd be more afraid that the rapture was upon us.

David Reed 5 years, 7 months ago

Dear Coach Gill,

please don't let these whiners who call themselves KU "fans" ruin you impression of the rest of us.Real Fans will support you as you build toawrds your goals of a big 12 title

shelleysue 5 years, 7 months ago

where can I watch the press conference? I missed it earlier.

Paolaksjhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

mcflycat-So you were impressed with an overall record of 50-48.....WOW. Sounds like you have a crush on Mangina. Why dont you get the hell off of here or at least say something positive about our new coach.

Mike Kendall 5 years, 7 months ago

I would like to know too, as I missed it just like shelleysue.

jkanev 5 years, 7 months ago

honk - Gill came in 4th in the Heisman votes his senior year.

honk_for_hawks 5 years, 7 months ago

jkanev-yeah, i saw that after I hit post. still a former star player for NU which says something as well.

roc_chalk_a_fella 5 years, 7 months ago

mcflycat-----you don't understand football.

A losing record at Buffalo, yes. But they were much worse before he got there.

It's called IMPROVEMENT. As in, he can make things better.

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

something positive? Well, he seems like a real, real, nice guy. gosh, saying that now makes me think of the old phrase, "Nice guys always finish last."

jayhawkintx73 5 years, 7 months ago

Lets see, KU never beat Texas with Mangino. KU never beat Oklahoma with Mangino. We went 5-7, 1-7 in the Big 12 with what was arguable the best team we've had with Mangino. Mangino said that there were those out to embarrass the program for 15 minutes of fame. 1-7 in the Big 12 in 2009 is the embarrassment.

What is worse that in those 7 losses we had the lead in the 4th quarter of 5 of those games. We gave up 28 to Texas Tech in the 4th Quarter to lose by 21. That was Mangino's fault. We had Nebraska at home, and we should have walloped them, but nope, we lost and that was Mangino's fault. Missouri, a 3 pt. lead late in the 4th quarter and two passing plays inside our own 5 yard line, then a safety, and we lose at the buzzer by 2 on a field goal after allowing them to get into chip shot range. That was Mangino's fault. I have to say, 2007 was the most exciting year, but 2009 was the most disappointing year since I've been following the Jayhawks. That has been since 1990. I'm not so sure that 2007 was really the most exciting thought, because in 1995 we beat Oklahoma in Norman. We beat Colorado that year when they rated 2nd in the nation in Boulder. We lost to Nebraska that year and they were rated number 1 in the nation. But we finished in a 3-way tie for 2nd place in the Big 8. The only two losses were against Kansas State(who was much better than now), and Nebraska.

I remember a game in Iowa State much like in 2008, except we were down by 4 or 5 scores in the 4th quarter and stormed back and won the game.

The Aloha Bowl in 1995 against UCLA who was favored to win by the way, and we won 51-30 behind Eric Vann and Mark Williams.

Eric Vann's 98 yard TD run against Oklahoma in 1996. We beat Oklahoma 3 straight years from 1995 to 1997. Since the Big 12, we haven't beat them once. And we didn't beat them with Mangino ever.

Mangino just couldn't get it done to win the Big 12 with probably the best personnel on the field we've ever had. Mangino embarrassed the program in 2009. 1-7 in the Big 12. We should have been 10-2, but 5-7 and no bowl game when were the favorites to win the Big 12 North.

jayhawk4alifetime 5 years, 7 months ago

What a classy individual! Awesome hire. If his coaching abilities are equal to his class and enthusiasm, we've got ourselves a WINNER!!!!!!!!!!! ROCK CHALK

MitchumMan 5 years, 7 months ago

mcflycat - Are you one of those K-State retards from down the road? Or are you a Mizz-who fan? Either way, your posts are retarded. Mangino had a losing record in the Big XII.

Gill is already creating some good vibes in Lawrence. "Gill said this would not be a stepping stone and that he wanted to build a football dynasty at Kansas." Anyone else love this statement? Man its good to be a Jayhawk!!!

qrex 5 years, 7 months ago

Change happens. You can either embrace it or fight it, but it happens.

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

Boy, Chuck Long had a HORRIBLE record at San Diego St.

Mangino_Maniac 5 years, 7 months ago

I missed the press conference... did he really use the words 'kansas', 'football' and 'dynasty' all in the same sentence?? ;-)

Kit Duncan 5 years, 7 months ago

mcflycat,

Go back to Manhattan! Gill was 20-30 (14-18 conf.) in 4 seasons at Buffalo. Mangino's record in his first four years? 19-29 (8-24 conf.)

This season at Buffalo, they lost their star running back in preseason and started a new quarterback. The Bulls lost 5 of their 7 losses by an average of 4 pts. One loss was in overtime by 3, one was by 1 pt, another by 3, one by 6 and one by 7. They could easily have gone 10-2.

Go look at Coach Gill's resume` before you call him a loser.

From Wikipedia:

(University of Nebraska) In 1989, Gill began his coaching career at the University of Nebraska, his alma mater, serving one year as a graduate assistant coach. After spending a season each at the University of North Texas and Southern Methodist University, Gill returned once again to Nebraska, where he coached quarterbacks from 1992-2003 and wide receivers in 2004. Gill served as position coach for two first team All-Americans, Tommie Frazier and Eric Crouch, with Crouch also earning the Heisman Trophy under Gill's tutelage. The Cornhuskers earned three national championships in Gill's time as an assistant there.

Welcome to Kansas, Coach Gill!

David Reed 5 years, 7 months ago

mcflycat if you hate it so much then please do everyone a favor and leave

honk_for_hawks 5 years, 7 months ago

jayhawkintx, I agree completely. This year was an even bigger disappointment than our 2006 team where we blew all those 4th quarter leads. Come to think of it, 2007 was more the exception than the rule under mangino. He really made a lot of retarded coaching decisions that cost us game after game. We recruited decently and were competitive but I'm started to think that was a lot more of the other coaches than mangino's "saavy coaching" or anything like that.

MitchumMan 5 years, 7 months ago

Carl Torbush - "During his time at UNC, at least one of his linebackers went pro every year. Among his more notable players were Julius Peppers, Brian Simmons, Greg Ellis, and Dré Bly." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Torbush

Sounds like this guy can recruit! And it sounds like he's bringing the #17 rated LB to KU with him.

Rock Chalk!!!!

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

Oh, I like Coach Gill! I just hope he can give us the same 20-30 record as he did in Buffalo. Now, I know the BIG 12 is tougher, but he'll be able to recruit better players. I sure hope Coach has thicker skin then all these whining blind optimists.

rawkhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

mcflycat, here's to Gill and the Jayhawks beating the crap out or your kitties or tiggers.

MitchumMan 5 years, 7 months ago

mcflycat - No you're not! You know how I know? Because KU fans aren't stupid. You...you're stupid!

rockchalk86 5 years, 7 months ago

Everyone please ignore mcwhinecat. He just gets off from everyone bashing him. Give Gill a chance!

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

Please, everyone ignore me, ignore me like we are all ignoring our new coach's record.

qrex 5 years, 7 months ago

No problem, rockchalk86.

I am still not sure what the whiner wants other than to whine.

bad_dog 5 years, 7 months ago

Anyone with the word "cat" as part of their user name can't be a real Hawks fan. Yeah, I'm talking about you mcflyscat, mcflyswat, whatever...

MitchumMan 5 years, 7 months ago

Chuck Long - "After the 2001 season, Long was promoted to Oklahoma's offensive coordinator position. Oklahoma won the Rose Bowl following the 2002 season, and in 2003, the Sooners set a Big 12 Conference record by averaging 51.5 points per game." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Long

Not only does it sound like Gill was a great hire, but Gill turned around and hired some great coordinators. Man, I'm really loving Gill already!

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

I'm sorry to disappoint, but i am a Jayhawker. And I DO hope Turner Gill does great. and will judge him after each season. But, based on the numbers available, I am not excited.

brcook99 5 years, 7 months ago

I'm sorry but this is not a good hire. As a big 12 team that has shown some success lately and has brand new facilities that are nice, we should get a better coaching candidate than Gill. 20-30 in the MAC ... come on. Skip Holtz or Kevin Sumlin should have been coming to KU, and what about Edsall from UConn?!?! I'm unhappy as a KU fan and Gill has A LOT to prove.

Kip Reiserer 5 years, 7 months ago

I think it's exiting to get an african-american coach who did well at a horrible program with Buffalo, one who can really relate to african-american kids especially from the dallas and houston area where we get most of our recruiting anyways. I fell like a lot of these kids who could play for Leach, Gundy, Pelini will consider KU because of the fact they are playing for a black head coach. For those of you looking at his record consider this, Gene Chizik was given the opportunity at Auburn after being 5-19 at Iowa State and look what he did with the talent. Also, I think I heard a statistic that Buffalo football was something like 10-60 (ballpark) in the previous seven seasons before Gill was hired there. I'm behind the hire 100% and can't wait until next year (after bball season of course). Rock Chalk!

MitchumMan 5 years, 7 months ago

For all of the haters out there...

His record at Buffalo was bad. Duh! But look at their record before he went there. Look at the two coordinators he brought in. Tell me those aren't great hires! No, they didn't pan out to be great head coaches, but both have great backgrounds as coordinators. And even if you don't like Turner Gill, he is a Jayhawk whether you like it or not. So support the guy until he shows you something you don't like (while he's in KU attire).

honk_for_hawks 5 years, 7 months ago

I don't want a big name. Everyone wants a big name, but I don't want someone who think's they're hot s**t coming in and underacheiving like billy gillespie, charlie weis, etc. I want someone who is going to work their butts off to make the doubters eat their words. All you doubters are probably the same ones saying we should fire Self after the back to back first round losses. If gill turns out to be a home run hire by perkins, I hope someone has this page bookmarked so all of us who supported him can just make sure you haters never hear the end of it. and mcflycat, if you hope gill does great and truly want to judge him AFTER each season, do it AFTER each season and support the team. If you don't, you're everything that's wrong with today's sports fans.

brcook99 5 years, 7 months ago

Just because you are unhappy with your team's coach hiring does no make you a hater MitchumMan.....

And kippa81, if you think being black had to do with it why did they not go harder for Kevin Sumlin of University Houston?!?!

As a KU fan I hope he does well, I'm just disappointed right now.

jhokfan 5 years, 7 months ago

Some of you have ignored the 24 hour rule but slowly and surely, Jayhawk nation is getting behind our new coach.

honk_for_hawks 5 years, 7 months ago

kippa, I checked on wikipedia. the seven seasons before gill they were 10-69. everyone needs to consider that THIS is where the program was before gill got there.

MitchumMan 5 years, 7 months ago

I honestly haven't had a great feeling like this for KU football since before the 2007 season. What happened that year? Orange Bowl...

I think Turner Gill will do great things here at KU. Yeah, it's just a gut feeling. But its been a long time since I've got to have one of these good feelings about KU football.

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

so, AFTER last year... Gill was 5-7. Last Coach that went 5-7 at Kansas in the BIG 12, got fired.

MitchumMan 5 years, 7 months ago

honk_for_hawks - So he basically trippled their winning percentage? Tell me that's not amazing!

MitchumMan 5 years, 7 months ago

mcflycat -

Do you or do you not agree that he changed the atmosphere there in Buffalo? Yes, they were 5-7. That's only a 42% winning percentage, but what was their winning percentage before he got there (last 7 seasons)? Oh yeah...13%!!!!

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

Hey if the Jayhawks were the worst team in football, this would of been a GREAT hire.

honk_for_hawks 5 years, 7 months ago

1. mangino went 5-7 with ONE measly win in big XII play that wouldn't even have been there had Arnaud not overthrown the ball. Gill went 5-7 with a sophomore quarterback with THREE career pass attempts coming in and playing a much tougher non-conference schedule.

2. Mangino had by far the best team in the big xii north in terms of experience and talent and underachieved.

3. Gill lost his 5 closest games by a combined 20 points. Mangino? 48 points.

4. Gill's players respect and love him. Mangino's players voluntarily give up stories knowing they are helping to get him fired.

Which sounds like a more appealing coach? I'll go with the guy who easily could have been 10-2 instead of the guy who would have been lucky to be over 500.

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

oh wow. In that case 20-30 sounds great! Lets Go Coach Gill!! Bring that Buffalo magic to KU!

honk_for_hawks 5 years, 7 months ago

to clarify on #2. Gill lost by 1, 3, 3, 6, 7, 14, 27. Mangino lost by 2, 4, 7, 14, 21, 22, and 31

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

Its cliche I know, but, a loss is a loss, is a loss. An orange bowl win is an orange bowl win, is an orange bowl win.

qrex 5 years, 7 months ago

Okay, I'll ask again. Unless your are MM's agent, what does it matter how good or bad of a coach he was?

jhokfan 5 years, 7 months ago

I bet Lew is the happiest man in Lawrence right now. These past few weeks could not have been fun for him.

Thank you Coach Mangino for all you have done.

Welcome Coach Gill.

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

Hey, hey, hey. No need for personal attacks! geez. I don't recall calling you a name, so, rude. Its my right as a fan to question Emperor Lew. I didn't know we had to agree with everything our dear Mr. Perkins did, sorry to offend you. Are you related to either of these "gentlemen"? That would be the most reasonable explanation for your barbaric personal assaults.

sactownhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

top juco quarterback and #17 LB not bad for a first days work...I'm pumped for next season, every player ive talked to is pumped, so i LOVE this higher. We have prided ourselves on diamonds in the rough lately (todd reesing) well this is THE diamond in the rough. if nebraskas defense wasnt so terrible when they were looking turner gill would be the coach there. We are lucky to have him and he looks committed to the long haul.

Kip Reiserer 5 years, 7 months ago

brcook I wasn't trying to say that the reason we hired Gill was because he was black, I was simply saying that it comes off to me that black recruits will give KU another look when getting offers from other big 12 schools which is a good thing.

honk_for_hawks 5 years, 7 months ago

i couldn't resist. you set me up. but my point is simple. you support your team and your coach. you don't start badmouthing him before he's even gotten off the plane.

actorman 5 years, 7 months ago

20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, 20-30, ...

There, can we forget about his damn record already. I find it hysterical that the only thing the critics can point to is his record for four years at BUFFALO ... BUFFALO, for crying out loud! Forget how well he did as an assistant coach, forget his recruiting ability, forget that the players will actually LIKE playing for him--what a concept--forget that there have been countless coaches with similar records who have succeeded, forget that Lew has a proven record of success everywhere he's been and that he's improved our overall athletic program immeasurably, forget that it won't be embarrassing (in so many ways) to have him as our coach, forget everything else, just remember one thing: 20-30. What a bunch of morons! I'm ashamed that they're Jayhawks.

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

Settle down, don't want to give your self an aneurysm. But it is the 20 before the 30 right? wins then loses? Lew has a proven record of being an A-hole.

sactownhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

he may be an a-hole but he is the best AD this school has ever had, you are ignorant and holding grudges if you disagree

honk_for_hawks 5 years, 7 months ago

wow. i actually agree with you on one thing. lew is an a-hole. but we have one of the top all-around athletic programs in the COUNTRY because of him so at least he isn't an incompetent a-hole

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

oh I agree, doesn't make him any less of an a-hole. Sometimes it takes an A-hole to get the job done (see Mark Mangino, orange bowl). But nice guys are good too.

sactownhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

face the facts, bill young won that orange bowl, along with todd reesing recruiting ku (notice how it isnt ku recruiting todd reesing?) Mangino is a better coordinator or o-line coach, then head coach because he didnt get the most out of his players. Gill does.

honk_for_hawks 5 years, 7 months ago

as I said before. regardless of whether he was a good coach or not, his reputation made it incredibly hard to recruit elite players and after the investigation, we would have been hard pressed to get even good 3 star players anymore. he had to go even if it was for no other reason than that. but he is gone, so stop living in the past and embrace the new coach. if he does poorly, be the a-hole who says "i told you so", but at least support the decision and the coach for now.

qrex 5 years, 7 months ago

Who decides on a coach's assistants and coordinators?

honk_for_hawks 5 years, 7 months ago

the coach, although school needs to approve them

sactownhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

i know, mangino did, but i think there may be a good reason bill young left so quickly, because everyone hated mangino. this is why i love gill, people are excited to have energy in the program! that alone is enough for me to get behind this coach.

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

Oh he seems like a wonderful man. I think it would be great for him to go and hold 4 star players hands and tell them how lovely the campus is, and how everyone is so friendly. Milk and Cookies after each practice. Maybe some scripture on Sundays to put the "football game" loses in perspective. He'll be great for the community. I can imagine him winning the BIG 12 now, I hope he doesn't cry like a baby like he did after winning the MAC.

sactownhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

Whatever mcflycat, you lost any of my respect you had.

Welcome HFCTG, i know you will do great things here

honk_for_hawks 5 years, 7 months ago

you know. personally I'm not a religious person, but a lot of athletes, ESPECIALLY football players are. A lot of players will get behind him for that reason alone. Some will get behind him just because he's black. But believe me, just because you're religious doesn't make you soft. my defensive coach in high school was incredibly religious, but he also happened to be the biggest harda88es I've had or seen as a coach. last time i checked, the best coaches know when to be religious, supportive, and the players buddy and when to dig in. Its the failures that do one or the other. Super Bowl winning coach Tony Dungy ring a bell?

honk_for_hawks 5 years, 7 months ago

again, don't get me wrong, I'm not religious...at all. I went to a catholic school but I haven't been to church since I graduated 3 and a half years ago. but for christ's sakes man, don't make fun of the man for being strong in his beliefs.

qrex 5 years, 7 months ago

It doesn't matter anymore if MM was the worst or best coach ever. He is no longer the KU coach. The other people considered for the job aren't either.

Based on his press conference, Coach Gill appears to have an enthusiasm that is extremely contagious. He has coordinators that are, if nothing else, very competent. He can succeed at KU.

It might be a good idea to at least wait until a bad decision to criticize him. I am not saying book a room in Glendale, but, now that he is HC, is there really any reason to not give him a chance?

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

I'll give Gill a chance. I just want a public apology from Lewser Perkins for having the media fire his coach for him, for having his coach picked out without interviewing any other coaches, (which I believe will get us a fine).

Joe Baker 5 years, 7 months ago

I like those priorities. He mentioned degrees and creating character. Some programs have gotten away from this. He also mentioned an important point, recruiting players that want to be at KU with a passion.

Long (OC) and Torbush (DC)...nice coaching staffing!! If you don't know who these coaches are, you don't know football.

"Not a stepping stone, but to create a dynasty"

He knows Rock Chalk Jayhawk Go KU!

He's ready...Go HCTG!

brcook99 5 years, 7 months ago

It's a fan's job .... no responsibility .... to question the decisions made by his or her team, and that's what I do because I'm an educated fan I will support Gill because he is the new coach of the school that I love, but I can still question the decisions that Perkins makes.

Rock Chalk, go KU!

youowethehawks 5 years, 7 months ago

Anyone, and I say anyone, who has anything disparaging to say about our new HCTG has their head in an anatomically improbable position.

If you are hating on a MAC coach that took his team to new heights in record time (from the worst team of the 154 D1's to a conference champion and contender, even in the MAC) then you just don't have a grasp of the reality that is college football. Try convincing talent to come to the worst school in the nation (at football, at the time). It is a testament to HCTG's recruiting talent and motivational/developmental skills that his teams performed as well as they did.

As a Jayhawk fan, you have to be absolutely stoked about his coaching hires. This can't be anything but an improvement over the uncreative Wariner and the underskilled co-DC's that we had. If you still want to defend HCMM then, chew on this:

The 2009 squad had, arguably, the most talent ever fielded at KU. They produced a 1-7 record. There are two options you can take. The squad choked, or, they lost the will to fight because their coaching staff undermined their success.

Personally, I can't wait to see Rell and Toben in the same backfield! No more running a 190 pounder between the guards, fewer draws and shovels and some gall-darned power running for once!

I can't say this often or loud enough! Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Go KU! Welcome to the land of the waving wheat Turner!

Kevin Kelly 5 years, 7 months ago

No experience????

Last time I checked....

3 National Championship rings as an assistant, was the QB coach for Frazier, Frost and Crouch and a confrence championship as a head coach with a CITY COLLEGE!

Questioning I understand.... Hating I can forgive.... Actively working to effect a decision that has already been made???? Starting websites asking for the firing of a guy who hasn't done anything yet? Those people deserve to be outed and not allowed into any KU sporting event ever.

I was livid when I heard what they were doing to MM. But I got over it and tried my hardest to look at the big picture. Ultimately I had to just come to terms with things I may not have liked for the benefit of my favorate team.

So everyone.

The decision has been made. Three options available for everyone: get on board, shut-up or start wearing purple.

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

Get on board, shut-up or start wearing purple? Puhlease. This is the United States of America, not communist China. If I want to bitch about Emperor Lew and Green Gills thats exactly what I'll do.

rawkhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

Awesome press conference, Coach Gill. You have the support of this fan.

jhawk4life1976 5 years, 7 months ago

Welcome to KU Coach Gill. I can't wait for the Spring Game!

Michael Auchard 5 years, 7 months ago

I personally like the Gill hire, but you have to admit that Lew Perkins is an evil SOB.

Doucher 5 years, 7 months ago

mcflygat, first off I apologize for stealing your UserID.

Second most of us are now dumber for having read your posts. You are a complete idiot, ripping on a coach for his record to defend a coach MM who has a losing conf record and was an over thrown pass from going winless in the Big XII. Really I'm sorry your Dad got fired but seriously quit showing your stupidity.

Let's break it down.

MM quit College Football TG Heisman cand. 3 time Conf Champ. MM A-hole NOTrespected TG Quality person respected MM zero conf or division championships TG MAC title MM disliked by players (not all) TG liked and respected by his players MM Parking tickets TG no Parking Tickets MM an overweight target for internet jokes and OB title TG a revered coach and MAC title and first African-American Coach in Big XII

MM didn't have respect for himself how could he have it for anyone else or his players, and many people and many of his players didn't have respect for him. I see why you like him cause we all know what flies are attracted to.

We are much better off with Turner Gill as HC than we could ever be with MM we would have 7-10 players transfer if he'd of stayed. Sure people can bitch and moan we didn't get a sexier HC or Homerun, but fact is Mangino didn't really bring us that far to deserve one. Gill will be a homerun and I trust loyal to KU, we are giving him a chance and big bucks he will earn it.

actorman 5 years, 7 months ago

You're right, mcflycat, you have every right to bitch. If you want to show your ignorance (or the fact that you're a kitty or tigger in disguise), go right ahead.

actorman 5 years, 7 months ago

"mcflygat, first off I apologize for stealing your UserID."

LOL! Classic!!!

Darsves 5 years, 7 months ago

Welcome to Kansas Coach Gill! Can't wait for next season to begin and to see all the recruits you are able to pull in with your new coaching staff as well!

And mcflycat, I respect your opinion and all, and sure he did go 20-30 in Buffalo, but as already mentioned, it was Buffalo, a team that had been scraping the bottom of the barrel for well..basically forever. At least he was able to improve what many could've considered the laughing stock of Division I football into a program that was able to win its conference. If he was able to instill a winning attitude in the players at Buffalo, just think of what he could do here at Kansas where there is a lot better talent to be found. Also, why attack his religious viewpoints? You may not agree with them, but it's been proven that treating your players with respect and as actual human beings can work in the game of football. It doesn't always have to be cursing and screaming all in players' faces. And all because he treats his players well and has Christian values doesn't mean he can't instill toughness and a hard work ethic into his players either. Just ask Tony Dungy. You won't find a more devout Christian in the game of football who treated his players with respect, and he only helped his team to become what now is the most winning-est team of any decade in NFL history, which by the way, is now 13-0 this season and is coached by Jim Caldwell, another soft-spoken, polite, and devout Christian.

Now like I said, you don't have to agree with his views or his coaching style, but it is proven that it works so we shouldn't keep blasting him the way we are. What he accomplished in Buffalo is nothing short of amazing for what the program had been. We should all be supporting him, whether he would've been our first choice or not, until he proves us otherwise through his success here at KU.

Good luck Coach Gill, you have my fullest support and backing! Let's go win us some games this coming season, RCJH!

babyjay1 5 years, 7 months ago

I love all the fans who are climbing on board and ready to go with HCTG! So glad we are more in number and strength than those who refuse let go of the negativity. Rivals recruiting site looks good, press conference was awesome, comments from players have been so positive. Rock Chalk Turner Gill!!

wolfy 5 years, 7 months ago

Coach Gill will ink a top 20 class on a consistent basis and will ignite that belly fire that is essential for football success. Like Quiggly said, "The players will want to fight for him." On offense, I predict we'll land a five-star dual threat QB within two years. (Turner Gill and Chuck Long -- you can't get much better than that.)

On defense, let's just keep it simple. Recruit better, tougher defensive athletes and teach them the fundamentals -- tackling, pursuit angles, getting off blocks, etc. Then turn them loose in an aggressive man-to-man set and hope they make more plays than mistakes. Fun football for players and fans alike.

It's a great day to be a Jayhawk!

focojayhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

DOUCHER! THANK YOU!!!! People need to get onboard and support. TG fan or not we are all KU fans. I for one am a strong supporter and can't wait for what is to come.

Blake Post 5 years, 7 months ago

Wrong. There is still a problem, and it is with the way ku fired Mangino, showing extreme disloyalty. That is the problem. Nobody else gave us the Orange Bowl victory. Nobody. That was unexpected and I doubt I will see us again. Love KU, but do not love the powers that did this. Very transparent and disloyal. No season tickets. And I am one who has sat through the bad years with the good. I am also loyal to coaches who brought us great things. I would not fire him if we lost 7. For me, his ticket was written. Too bad I couldn't write it.
Nothing wrong with Buffalo Gill, personally. I just hate all things nebrastard. Beat those bugeaters and we will see. Their offense still stinks.
In a perfect world, all KU coaches would be former great players for us, like Nolan Cromwell, and we would rule the world.

but I still can't believe we didn't put two guys back to catch that last stinking punt so it didn't roll to the two. aaarrrrgggghhhh.

You guys don't have a clue as to how Buffalo Gill will do, and we will see after 5 years how many wins we have and whether we can maintain it without a down year.

MM and the gunslinger gang planted 76 on nebrASSka. Let's see anyone else do it.

Blake Post 5 years, 7 months ago

Just not on board. I hate what was done and how it was done. I know... my friends would be in shock. People have to have principles.

escaped_labrat 5 years, 7 months ago

Alright, I admit that I'm not too excited about this hire and pretty much every KU fan that I know...and I know a LOT, have the same uncertain feeling about this move. Support of our new coach is not an issue, but having lived through the Terry Allen years...well, until you get to experience something like that...give some of us long-haul Jayhawks a little bit of understanding. Turner Gill feels somewhat familiar, but here's hoping Terry Allen lightening doesn't strike twice.

Unless he proves otherwise, I can't help but support our new coach. I hope he's successful and that when he says he wants to build a dynasty here and stick with it, that he does create a national football power and doesn't abandon it. Rock Chalk Jayhawk...go KU

Hawk1969 5 years, 7 months ago

Please, stop the Terry Allen comparisons. Gill is head and shoulders above Allen. Perkins wouldn't have even considered Allen if he would have been AD back then.

escaped_labrat 5 years, 7 months ago

And so it continues....

So much for USF....I hear Tommy Tuberville is looking for work :-) Woulda, shoulda...coulda

ginger2015 5 years, 7 months ago

You know, I can understand how people who favored another coach over coach Gill can be upset. I can understand how they would voice their disapproval. But it's over, Turner Gill is our new head football coach. The negative posters are just saying the same things over and over again. I'm beginning to think that the negative posters are more interested in being right than they are in the success of our program, because I don't see where these post are helping anyone.

actorman 5 years, 7 months ago

"People have to have principles."

You say that people have to have principles, yet you criticize the KU administration for being "disloyal" to MM, a man who had very few, if any, principles in the way he treated players and non-players alike. There seems to be a certain amount of hypocrisy there ...

Brandon Winkler 5 years, 7 months ago

mcflycat....actually mangino resigned. he wasn't fired...moron.

you are a loser.

we dont people like you cheering for the jayhawks so join all the other d-bags and move to columbia where you belong.

welcome to KU coach Gill. rock chalk

JHawkins 5 years, 7 months ago

Welcome, Coach Gill! I can't wait to see what you bring to the table

djhawk75 5 years, 7 months ago

If Turner Gill's first year in coaching KU is as stellar and riveting as his speech today we are going to have a very memorable year. He certainly seems to know what he is doing. He has a great pair of coordinators and plenty of momentum.

What would success be for this guy? Sure, he wants to win the Big XII, but the last time KU was a conference champion was when Gill himself was a child. Mangino never won a conference title, though he won the Orange Bowl once. Once. The other years in the Mangino era will blend in with the rest of KU's football history: rising every so many seasons like a geyser, then being forgotten again. So I couldn't blame Gill if he does not make KU a football power. No one ever has. But if he makes KU football a good deal more consistent than it was in the Mangino era (or the Glen Mason era, or any era before that) I'll be fairly happy.

eddiesuttonschoolofdriving 5 years, 7 months ago

Lew nailed it when he said Turner can walk into any recruits living room and be in play with his energy and credibility as a player/coach. I remember a recruiting analyst saying when Bill Self was hired that it was going to be a scary combination for someone with his recruiting skills having a big-time program to sell, and I think the same will be true for Gill. Instead of trying to convince athletes to play in the freezing cold in Buffalo, far from any TV cameras, he can offer the chance to be on TV regularly, playing in a big-time conference, for a charismatic coach who happens to be the only African American head coach in the Big XII - which DOES matter to many athletes, not because it makes him a better person, but because many African American athletes will be more comfortable trusting he'll be able to relate to them.

Hope you are wrong McFly and respect your right to a contrary opinion. However, your endless stream of increasingly inane replies was lame - not sure why you'd want to go from reasonable contrarian to exposing yourself as a douc--bag, so based on that alone I'll predict you'll change your screenname in the future if Gill does well so people can't call you on your future hypocrisy should you jump on the bandwagon.

100 5 years, 7 months ago

CaliHawk33,

17 Linebacker is just the tip of the iceberg my friend...

Kids love Turner Gill...

Athletes who want to get to the NFL want to play for this guy...

Some of his kids (at Buffalo mind you) were outcompeting kids from Ohio State in NFL style combines...

We are about to get a freaking Avalanche of football talent...

Just stay tuned over the next few weeks....

We have officially "hit the jackpot"!!!!

This is a great time to be a Jayhawk!!!

JBurtin 5 years, 7 months ago

I happened to be at the doctor's office earlier today and I was telling him a story about some bad neighbors that have moved in on our block. They are deadbeats that wouldn't have been able to afford a house, but got lucky enough to receive it in their grandfather's will. Since that time they have been arrested for having dog fights in their back yard, and I'm hoping that the legal fees will soon bankrupt them and force them out of the neighborhood.

The doctor countered with a story of a bad neighbor that moved into his neighborhood. Ever since his arrival several years ago the cops have had to make regular trips down their block due to the fact that their were frequent complaints about the husband screaming at his wife and potential domestic violence.

Boy is he glad that Mangino finally moved!

I know that a lot of people don't like Lew's big business way of doing things, but I think he was in a pretty tough place in having to look for a good reason to get rid of a man that was only 2 years removed from winning the national coach of the year. I enjoyed the Mangino years, but I have to admit that on a personal level he simply wasn't the caliber of person that I want to be the face KU football.

Our basketball team never had to resort to hiring embarrassments like Bob Huggins or Bobby Knight to pull off wins, and I don't think we should accept any less from our football coaches.

JBurtin 5 years, 7 months ago

I guess my point is that whether or not you agree with Lew's tactics in firing Mangino, I can guarantee that they weren't entirely unjustified. Further, disagreeing with Lew's business tactics is no reason to punish the incoming coach. Coach Gill has done absolutely nothing wrong in accepting the position.

Hiring a coach is never a sure thing, and of course there's a possibility that Coach Gill will not pan out. However, none of us have any evidence that any one of the other numerous coaches that KU could have hired would do any better. Assistants from Major programs frequently fail as head coaches, and guys that have had relative success in the past like Tuberville and Fulmer may be viewed as washed up or too old and may not be able to get recruits excited to play for them. If they can't win consistently at Auburn and Tennessee, then why would they all of a sudden be fantastic at Kansas. Other good coaches such as Holtz or Harbaugh may do exactly what good coaches have always done to Kansas. Use us as a stepping stone to where they really want to be.

The fact is, Lew is the man in the unfortunate position of having to roll the dice while everyone else sits around and complains about exactly how he throws them. When it comes down to it, there isn't a single coach in America that he could have hired that would have gotten universal approval from the fanbase. I can understand a bit of disappointment that your personal favorite wasn't chosen, but bashing the new guy at the helm simply doesn't make sense for anyone.

I was a Kansas fan before the Mangino years, a Kansas fan during the Mangino years, and I'll continue to be a fan and support the team for as long as there's blood pumping in my veins. Coaches are temporary. . .Jayhawks are forever.

100 5 years, 7 months ago

To all those KU fans who don't get it yet:

Get ready for a fun ride...

This hire is huge. Go to ESPN, Sports Illustrated or any other web page who reports sports. It's a big story. Look underneath. LSU fans are commenting, OU fans, NU fans -- all respectable, intelligent fans who get it & know about winning National Championships... And also know about a champion named Turner Gill.

They all know we just hit the jackpot & many of them are happy for us.

All the high school recruits are reading these stories -- the "big" ness of the hire is hitting them & on & on it will go...

Listen to Turner Gill's press conference -- my boys, he knew what to say & when to say it -- this guy is gonna bring in a lot of winners (kids from all over the nation will see that press conference when they read the ESPN story for instance)...

What would you be thinking after you watch Turner Gill talk?

When was the last time we heard "any" football coach talking about playing for a national championship?

He wouldn't say it if he doesn't believe it -- I believe it -- this man is here to build KU a dynasty & has (in my humble opinion) brought back INSTANT respect to the KU football program!!!!!!

Believe it!!!

Believe....

Turner Gill is for real -- and he knows what it takes.

Players!!!! And they want to play for a coach who believes, puts pride into them (instead of fear) & wants to win a national championship!!!!

Boys, I'll say it again -- we have hit the JACKPOT!!!!!

I wouldn't want anyone else running our football program...

Rock Chalk Turner Gill!!!!!!

actorman 5 years, 7 months ago

"The other years in the Mangino era will blend in with the rest of KU's football history: rising every so many seasons like a geyser, then being forgotten again."

djhawk, that's an excellent call and I nominate it for one of the top posts of the year -- a perfect description of KU's history in football. The best way to summarize the KU history of mediocrity is that we have an unbreakable record: the most ties in NCAA history. Nothing says KU football more than that stat.

"Coaches are temporary. . .Jayhawks are forever."

Beautiful line, JBurtin, and I liked the rest of your commentary as well. Although the comment from your doctor is obviously hearsay, I wouldn't be in the least surprised if it were true (or were you making a point by joking?). Since MM was abusive to virtually everyone else, there's no reason to think he wouldn't be abusive to his own family.

kansas22 5 years, 7 months ago

Hopefully I'm not jinxing anything here, but I think mcflycat finally got up and got a job... Or found another message board to sit on for the next 5 hours.

temjay 5 years, 7 months ago

"Now watch that ESPN clip again -- above the story... now pretend you are a 5 star player... who wants to play in the NFL... and you are leaning between Florida & Oklahoma.... but you have one recruiting trip left....

What would you be thinking after you watch Turner Gill talk?"

I'd be thinking:

Gee, I wish Coach Gill was standing under a palm tree and it was 70 degrees in Lawrence ....... Then I might be interested.

actorman 5 years, 7 months ago

You're right, temjay. It's tough to compete with all the palm trees in Oklahoma ...

Kansas22, I think mcflycat had to go to bed so he could get up early and milk his cows before going to Aggie State -- unless he's a tigger, in which case he had to get some work in at the meth lab.

Mangino_Maniac 5 years, 7 months ago

I have a couple good friends who are Cornhuskers... they said it makes them nervous knowing Gill is now our coach... lol.

I wouldn't expect them to say anything different considering they graduated from Lincoln, but they think KU made a fantastic hire with Coach Gill and that the football program is now going to be become a steady Big 12 North contender.

keith horinek 5 years, 7 months ago

I remember Turner Gill when he played for Nebraska and Tom Osborne. I hate to admit it, but I grew up near the nebraska border and watched a lot of nebraska football when nebraska football was a powerhouse program. Not like it is now. If HCTG brings that "old school" mind set to KU football we should see a lot of good football at KU! If KU competes for the north each year that would be a success, in my mind. Great Hire!

kansas25 5 years, 7 months ago

I'm fine with this hire. I think it was one of the best options, although these days ADs take as little time as possible to fill a vacancy. Anyways, Turner Gill was a heckuva player at Nebraska, played in the CFL for a couple of seasons before injury and was an assistant coach for the Green Bay Packers. Then he led a Buffalo team to a MAC title and finished with a 13-11 record in the MAC over his final 3 seasons. HE WAS AT BUFFALO!!! Winning 13 conference games in 3 seasons isn't bad for Buffalo. I mean, we're talking about Buffalo here. All I'm saying is give the guy a chance.

Steve Brown 5 years, 7 months ago

I like winning. I like doing it with class. I like having a powerful, respected, feared by opponents, football program.

I like Head Coach Turner Gill at Kansas, welcome coach. Build it.

JBurtin: very well said.

Oakville it is hearsay from me to you, but not hearsay for some. (JB very well written)

100; you are right, CHARACTER will attract the right people, recruits, fans & trophies.

champs528808 5 years, 7 months ago

It's rather amazing to think about what we're reading from you 'fans' of KU football - where was all the babbling about Mangino's lack of a record when he became the coach - oh yeah, I forgot, that's when our football program was nothing. But after eight years of 50-48 football, we've somehow come to the conclusion that we're a top-flight, destination program. 50-48?? And that's with a 12-1 record to skew the numbers. Mangino did improve the respectability of the program and I thank him for his work, but we are by no means where we want to be - losing the last seven games of the season speaks for itself. Let's give Turner Gill a chance and quit the hatin'.

floridajayhawks 5 years, 7 months ago

To mcflyscat, Alumn_2000 and all the naysayers give the man a chance and I do think that he will not be recruiting Reesing's anymore, maybe for back up role. I know Reesing is everyones favorite, but he didn't get better this year. He will bring in great student-athletes to lead the program and do well in the classroom. As for his Coordinators they might not have been good head coaches, but they have proven themselves as great coordinators. Some coaches are better coordinators than they are HBC's, example Weis. Again great hire Lew and welcome Coach Gill!

squawky 5 years, 7 months ago

Go Gill! He wasn't at the top of my list but I am more than willing to give him a chance. He will be highly motivated to beat NU for passing him over for Bo Peewini.

I hate to say it but I don't think Harbaugh was never interested in the KU job he was just playing KU to get a good raise from Stanford.

platterat 5 years, 7 months ago

100 got it right - we all know you hit the jackpot & are both excited AND worried. I guarantee I'm not the first Husker sneaking on here to see if you get it. Mcflycat & friends aside, it’s good to see that you do.

T.O. hired Bo for many of the same reasons Lew hired TG. Had our on field problems been offensive, you wouldn't have had the chance. Shoot, TG's the guy many of us wish TO had picked instead of Solich when he retired more than a decade ago. Trust me, the guy’s a recruiting machine who will scheme like crazy & adapt when necessary.

Ask 100 Husker fans who best exemplifies what TO stands for, & 90 will say Turner Gill without hesitation. Last I checked, TO was only about the best college football coach EVER & a big part of his success can be attributed to the fact that, to a man, his players credit him with showing them what it means to be a man of character. (Get ready for the Unity Council)

I know it's corney, & understand why some of you may downplay it here in these pages, but sitting next to parents sending their son off to college, or in his office when a troubled kid needs advice, it means a lot. TG will do right by his players, their parents will trust him, & players in turn will do battle for him.

Here’s to KU crushing all opponents except the Huskers & here’s to TG asking his good buddy (& terrific position coach) Ron Brown to come be his receivers coach so y’all can put up with his religious rants on public access instead of us!

Steve Brown 5 years, 7 months ago

2:59 left 1st down backed up on 3 yard line with 3 point lead.

Who you want calling plays, MadMan, Quinn Snyder or Head Coach Turner Gill.

Certainly two of the three would take more than 14 seconds to give them 2 points and then have to punt the ball using none of MU time outs. just a thought.,

Players coach or the terminator who cares, I'm happy to finally get a leader w. some time clock smarts.

justinryman 5 years, 7 months ago

Don't get it mixed up with being a players coach and not being tough on them. Turner is both. I got to go to a Nebraska practice when he was a player back in '83, the team was warming up on a Friday, two players were goofing off and he as the team captian stepped up and put a quick stop to it. Those two players were Heisman winer Mike Rozier and NFL star Irving Fryar. Those were his friends, but he took control of the situation, knowing that he had thier respect on and off the field. He was a players player then and now he's a players coach who will get the respect he deserves from them and will have control over them too.

He will not have to intimiate his players, threaten them or abuse them to get them to play hard for him. He will earn their trust and respect from the way he treats them, The Golden Rule, "treat others the way want to be treated".

Turner Gill is a good coach, a great man and I can't wait til Nov 13 2010 in Lincoln.

Rock Chalk from Omaha

ps my Husker neighbors are freaking out!!!!!

timtation 5 years, 7 months ago

Nebraska wouldn't even hire him. His alma mater.

platterat 5 years, 7 months ago

Guess you didn't read my post first eh timtation? It's not that we wouldn't hire him, we didn't because of the position we were in. Our defense was in shambles - they weren't even trying anymore. Should Bo ever leave for Ohio State, you can rest assured that NU will do its best to pull a UNC & get TG back home.

justinryman 5 years, 7 months ago

timtation, being hired by your alma mater dosent equal success, for example Charlie Weis, ND; Rick Nuehisel(sp), UCLA; so I don't think it's that big of a deal that Gill wasn't hired by NU, thier loss our gain. As for the track record above why go that route if your NU?

As for TO trying to pull a UNC, that will be tough within the same conf. It's one thing to go back home when its a few conf's away and you don't have to face them yearly, but same div. same conf. I don't think it will happen.

timtation 5 years, 7 months ago

Lew, Lew, Lew 1st come 1st served right buddy. If I have to sit and watch KU's football program go through what it had to go through in the 90's .................. I'm sick of this, if this guy doesn't pan out Lew you need to be FIRED this is your choice, your guy, your responsibility. That doesn't even bother you Lew if you get fired your not a true J-hawk you just work here. I can't stand everyone saying this is a good hire when we could have gotten better, that's right a assistant from a major school would have been better. Lets give him a chance, come on just give him a chance ........ makes me sick. How bout he takes his chances elsewhere first. Bill Self says he's a good hire so that means he is, right KU fans. When are you going to stop and think that he says that stuff because he has to.Remember he just works here too. Bottom line black coaches have never been able to coach and that's not racism those are numbers. If you think I'm wrong then name 25 great black coaches in the history of all sports college or pro? Bet you can't, and it's not because they have not had the chance because they have and have failed all but a few. KU is not a religious school so there better not be any religious juck going on, keep religion out of sports. I'm tired of having a great basketball program and a turd for football it's not good enough anymore. I want both to be great.

troutsee 5 years, 7 months ago

Gosh timtation and mcflycat...you sound like really intelligent guys....such sound logic...both of you would make great interviewees on the Glenn Beck show....ole Glenn would slobber all over you.

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

I'm excited to see if Coach Gill can maintain his winning percentage. I hope he can! Its been a long time waiting for Kansas football to return to its old ways. How bout this maybe we can get the football program out of the BIG 12 and into the MAC, that way we might be able to when a conference championship once every four years, with the other three years being losing years of course.

Doucher 5 years, 7 months ago

timsturbation - I wish your dad would have, then I wouldn't have had to read possibly the most idiotic post I've ever seen on this sight. That comment is like saying name me a successful fat head coach. Its not about skin color, weight, heritage, religon...it's about the person and in HCTG we have a very very quality one.

That post did earn you some votes in the Doucherman Trophy, presented by Summer's Eve

Current Doucherman projections: 1. Whitlock 2. mcflygat 3. timsturbation 4. jtwiddle

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

Doucher, personal attacks don't make you blind optimism justified.

squawky 5 years, 7 months ago

timtation

that's only because they had the worst Defense in college football and needed a D guy. their loss, look at NU's now pathetic Offense.

Doucher 5 years, 7 months ago

mcflygat - how does one actually when a conference championship? I guess the 3 years of 3rd grade were not enough.

yed 5 years, 7 months ago

Tim, I appreciate your stance on religion in sports, and I agree on that. While I like spirituality, we don't need people running around like they're missionaries or something. Also, I agree with you on wanting both football and hoops to be great. If we regress back to where we were in the late 90s under Terry Allen, heads will need to roll.

All that said, as fans, a vast majority will give HCTG a chance to do his thing here. Crap, I wanted to keep Mangino, but I knew that wouldn't happen the moment he got on his radio show and started bagging players' parents. He's never been one to mince words, which I've always loved, but that was pretty stupid.

If all of these positive attitudes make you ill, you should either bury your head in the sand and ignore the rest of us or take some meds and roll with it.

Doucher 5 years, 7 months ago

Better to be a blind optimist than a ___ pessimist.

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

I believe its better to be a realist and look at the facts. Of course with how religious Gill is maybe its all about blind faith. Personally, I'll stick to what is known... 20-30

Doucher 5 years, 7 months ago

mc - you're fixated on TG's past, well only and specifically his 20-30 record. You assume a losing record in the MAC will equate to a losing record in the Big XII, that does make you appear to be the first syllable of assumption. You are not a realist cause you are refusing to look deeper than 20-30.

If I take your same theory looking deeper look into TG's history, then I see he took a 10-69 BU program prior to him and doubled their wins, cut their losses in half, won (or maybe you would say one) a conference championship and took them to a bowl game. He is now at a better school with better facilities, better coaches, better players and better recruits, who is to say he can't improve on what Mangino has done.

Many of you where happy with MM, so even if TG doesn't improve and has a losing conf. record like MM beats MU and KSU occasionally, beat cupcakes regularly and goes to bowl games 2 out of every three years you should be happy with that. TG is proven as a player, proven as an assistant, proven as a coach turning around an awful program. I believe that he will prove himself as HC at KU.

Doucher 5 years, 7 months ago

yes that where was for mc - go fight when KU!

youowethehawks 5 years, 7 months ago

Timtation,

I really love the "It's not racist, but..." line, usually means, "What I'm about to say is a very racist."

Your Jayhawk card has been revoked.

Just for kicks, though: 1: Eddie Robinson - Grambling State, Football, 408-165-2, 2nd ALL TIME in wins 2: Jake Gaither - FAMU, Football, 204-36-4, 42 NFL players, 36 All-Americans 3: Clarence "Big House" Gaines, Winston-Salem State, Basketball, 828-447, 5th ALL TIME in wins, member of founding class of College Basketball Hall of Fame 4: Frank Robinson- Baseball, Over 1000 wins on some of the worst teams in the majors (53rd coach to reach that), A much better manager than his record. 5: I could go on, but you get the point (I hope, you don't seem to "get" much else)

Let's also remember that we're only 45 years removed from Jim Crow, many black coaches never had the opportunity to showcase their skills at an "elite" level until recently.

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

Hey Turner Gill, Denzel Washington called, he wants his shtick back. hehehe.

justinryman 5 years, 7 months ago

Apparently being a successful assistant on 3 national championship teams at Nebraska isn't a enough for you Doucher and Tim, or do you not know where Gill came from. Plus the one Chuck Long got as an asst at OU. jPlus Gill was an assit in the NFL for 3 years. Not to mention his 4th place finish in the heisman in 83, Longs second place finsih only to Bo Jackson.

What conf. Title did MM win? Did he ever win the Big 12 North Div. even? And for the Record when Gill and Buffalo beat Ball St. for the MAC crown Ball St. was 12th not 17th. He had 11 players from TX not 10 go to Buffalo, and not they were not recruited by TX or OU but Im sure there were other smaller TX schools that tried to get them so irrelevent. So now when he does go after kids that are interested in big time schools he will compete, will he get them all? No, but no coach ever does, not urban, not Mac, not anyone so stop your complaining.

Rock Chalk or go home.

timtation 5 years, 7 months ago

5 years 2 million a year? I wonder what he will make if he is successful. 5 years 5 million a year.LOL

Kristospherein 5 years, 7 months ago

I think it's worth pointing out to the Mizzou/KState fan who's crapping on our boards that the record of the Buffalo program the four years before Gill got there was 5-41. Taking a team from 5-41 to 20-30 is called improvement. If anyone really expected him to take a 5-41 type team and go say 30-15 with them, they are crazy...which I assume that makes you.

I for one am waiting to see what Gill will do with this team before I make any decisions on him...I would advise the same to you. You already pointed out you had a man-crush on Man-I-can't-eat-just-one-o, but his record his first four years was 19-29 which is worse than Gill's first four years.

Have the Wildcat or Tiger boards become too boring for you that you find yourself over on ours?

timtation 5 years, 7 months ago

You're right justin. It's not enough.

timtation 5 years, 7 months ago

It was a great day for Mizzou and K-State fans yesterday.

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

Oh wow, Those "assistant" stats are amaaaaazing. To bad we didn't hire Tom Osborne's coat tails!

timtation 5 years, 7 months ago

youowethehawks
I'm still waiting for the other 20 or 10

Doucher 5 years, 7 months ago

Justin- I'm pro TG all the way.

Possibly you got my userID confused with mcflygat, very easy mistake.

timtation 5 years, 7 months ago

youowethehawks

Don't forget Turner Gill !!!

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

I'm pro TG all the way! He's so nice and friendly, praise the lord! No more meanie coach the didn't lovey wubby all his players. YAY!

justinryman 5 years, 7 months ago

Sorry Doucher, speed ready class didn't pay off today.

ESPN had there "Greatest College Coach" of all time a year ago and it was TO, yeah those would be bad coat tails to be riding on. Im guessing Fischer at FSU being an assistnat for Bowden wasn't a good thing, or all the assistants under Paterno have bad raps on them too. If you're a hater then move on to something else.

I just would have liked to of been a fly on the wall in the first team meeting last night. That had to be soemthing special. I wonder if any of this years seniors were able to go?

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

I'm sure it sounded similar if not exactly the same as any of Denzel Washingtons speech's in "Remember the Titans". That movie was so touching... sob sob

actorman 5 years, 7 months ago

"Again, personal attacks don't make your blind optimism justified. Please stop personally attacking me. Thank you."

I tell you what, mcdoucher. The next time you don't spout something that's the equivalent of 1 + 1 = 13, I'll stop personally attacking you. But as long as you stay a member of the "20-30" club -- as if that's the only relevant fact -- you come across as a complete moron.

justinryman 5 years, 7 months ago

mcflycat, if all these personal attacks hurt so much, it can only mean one thing: The truth, causte the truth hurts.

Sorry had to get a personall jab in there and from here on out I will keep all my post related to the topic at hand, but I just had to let one fly.

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

The Truth? How does TG looking, sounding, preaching like Denzel Washington relate to 1+1=13? Also, me stating my opinion about a public figure does not give anyone license to personally attack me, unless of course your related to TG. Are any of you related to TG? If not, quit being such babies.

jayhawkking 5 years, 7 months ago

I for one am very disappointed in Lew Perkin's handling of the head football coach search. Turner Gill is now our coach and I will try to support him. Perkins, however, has made a huge error. Kansas football has taken great strides in the past few years. We (the fans) don't want to see the program take a step back. True, KU is not a premium job. Therefore, you don't pay a premium salary to an unproven, no-name coach. You start them out with a modest salary as they did with Mangino, and until they prove they can hack it in the Big XII conference, you keep the salary low. Mangino earned his multi-million dollar contract at KU. Gill has not earned anything, yet Perkins is already handing out the goodies. That's okay if you are trying to get an established, big-name coach to come to KU. But Gill is not and established, big-name coach.

By now everyone knows Gill was an assistant at a successful Nebraska program and that he took a terrible MAC team and made them competitive. However, I think people are too quick to praise Gill as a great coach. Going 8-5 at Buffalo and winning the conference with a 5-3 conference record in the MAC is still not impressive. They were just 2 games from having a .500 season. I'm not convinced. I know he is from Texas and some say that will help with the recruiting there. The truth of the matter is, Texas is already a big recruiting region for KU. Recruits aren't going to choose KU over the Texas schools, Arkansas, and Oklahoma just because Gill is a Texan. Most high school kids in Texas probably don't even know who this guy is. Most of the country outside of Buffalo, Nebraska, Kansas, and certain parts of Texas don't know this guy.

Maybe he can help KU be successful, but I think it is a roll of the dice personally. If he doesn't pan out, Lew Perkins has cost the school millions, because Gill, like Mangino will get a nice payout if he leaves early, and a lot of people will be calling for a new A.D..... Big mistake Lew. I hope it all works out, but I'm very guarded at best. I think we could have found a better coach. KU football has made great strides recently, and no one wants to see that go up in smoke. No one wants KU football to return to obsurity. Good Luck coach Gill. You better make it worth $2 mil./yr for 5 years!

jayhawkking 5 years, 7 months ago

...correction, 1 game from a .500 season.

David Robinett 5 years, 7 months ago

You guys complaining about the salary are missing the point. It is not about TG or MM, it's about KU Football, sending a message that we're finally serious.

KURocksChalk 5 years, 7 months ago

Myflycat is obviously a poser, probably a wildcat, maybe a tigger, so ignore him. I would like to encourage everyone to refrain tearing down MM or even TA. Why is it (I do it too) that we fall into tearing one guy down while we are building another up. TG does not need the comparisons. MM did KU a lot of good. I hate to see him trashed. I think this year's team imploded from all the external pressure. I think MM felt it and passed it on.
It seems to me that when we lost our D Coordinator to Miami that we lost more than we know, not just a good D coach, but I expect he was a catalyst amongst the coaches themselves. I hope that MM can sit back and reflect and learn what went wrong and will be a better coach, and person for it. I hope he is not done.

kansas22 5 years, 7 months ago

Sorry. I did jinx it after all. Mcflycat is still unemployed and spending the good majority of his time on the message boards again.

jayhawkking 5 years, 7 months ago

Dave, I understand what you are saying, but if Gill turns out to be a flake, people are going to go after Lew on this one. I like the idea of lower salary with big incentives built in better than the $10 mil contract.

KURocksChalk, I hope that our new assistants can bring a fresh approach to the team and support Gill. I was infinitely frustrated in the offensive strategies and conservative defensive schemes KU's assistants called up this season. Hopefully the change will be good. Unlike some posters on here, I try to keep an open mind and stay positive about this, but I think we probably could have gotten a coach more people could get behind and feel comfortable with for the same price as Gill. I know I'm being a selfish fan, but what can I say. I know many Hawkbackers share my sentiments. I know it's really about how the players receive him. So far I've heard some positive things from the players at least.

bradt1719 5 years, 7 months ago

Mangino's record his first 4 seasons at KU = 19-29 and yet up to the colorado game then OU then the rest of this season no one seems to worry about that.

thanks to all u morons for helping us remember what we already know that gill was 20-30. what happened at buffalo was pretty remarkable - check out the program and what he did there. what happened at KU in MM's first 4 seasons was the start of something that turned out to be pretty damn good.

Gill is building on something that MM was able to set up. hes taken over a program that is more what should have been a 5-7 season. ugh - even the MU game, if u were a KU fan u knew what play was gonna be called on 3rd and 10 from the 2. it was a sharp shuffle pass (well he was out of the game at the time) or it was a reesing draw. go figure. i told someone who doesnt even know KU football and he said damn thats way to predictable excited for new leadership and structure.

so excited to see what gill can do. looking forward to what lies ahead and now forgetting what is behind. move forward ppl, kthanksbye

timtation 5 years, 7 months ago

Good call jayhawkking. I couldn't have said it better myself.

mcflycat 5 years, 7 months ago

My family was in Lawrence during the raid. I am not a poser. Just a concerned jayhawker.