Four-star Class of 2022 combo guard Kyle Cuffe Jr. commits to Kansas

Kansas University basketball recruiting

Kansas University basketball recruiting

The Kansas men’s basketball program picked up its first commitment from the Class of 2022 on Saturday evening, when four-star guard Kyle Cuffe Jr. picked the Jayhawks.

There’s been talk about Cuffe Jr. reclassifying into the 2021 class and joining the Jayhawks next season. But nothing concrete is known about his plans as of yet. Cuffe Jr. chose KU over finalists Kansas State, St. John’s, Georgia, Pitt and Texas A&M.

The 6-foot-2, 180-pound shooting guard who currently attends Blair Academy in Blairstown, N.J., said during his commitment ceremony that the school he was choosing, “gives me the best opportunity (as) a student and at being a basketball player.”

Decked out in gray sweatsuit, with a blue Kansas T-Shirt underneath, which he revealed after announcing his pick, Cuffe Jr. made his commitment at Gauchos Gym in Bronx, N.Y., where he has worked on his game since he was in third grade.

Several friends and family members were on hand for Cuffe Jr.’s announcement, which came just after 6:15 p.m. and was carried on Instagram Live.

In addition to thanking God and several of his coaches past and present, Cuffe Jr. thanked his parents and his sister for supporting him through his recruitment.

His father, Kyle Cuffe Sr., was a standout at St. John’s during his college days, but it was clear on Saturday that the elder Cuffe had no issue with his son going elsewhere for his college experience.

“I know I give this kid a lot of flack,” Cuffe Sr. said while welcoming people to the ceremony. “But I’m very, very proud of (him). He worked his tail off. Everything he got, he deserved. … There’s going to be a lot of ESPN and CBS (games) for you guys to watch him, so get ready, get excited. I know we are.”

Known for his explosive play and ability to attack the basket in the halfcourt and in transition, Cuffe Jr. said during a recent interview with Cal Griffin of Young Kings Talk on YouTube that he was focused mostly on developing into a true point guard.

Cuffe Jr. considers himself a combo guard at the moment and he has used his time at Blair Academy, where he transferred to face better competition after starting at a prep school in Connecticut, to become a better playmaker for others.

“Decision-making,” Cuffe Jr. said when asked during the YouTube interview what aspect of his game he wanted to improve most. “I want to be able to come off screens and make the right pass, knowing how and when to shoot the ball, things like that. … Right now I’m a combo, but (I’m) trying to become a point.”

Ranked No. 78 overall in the 2022 class by Rivals.com, Cuffe Jr. recently told Shay Wildeboor of JayhawkSlant.com that the relationships he had built with KU coach Bill Self and KU assistant Norm Roberts played a big role in his recruitment.

“I love the history of Kansas and what Bill Self has to offer,” Cuffe Jr. said. “I talk to coach Self and coach Norm Roberts on the daily. They let me know what I would bring to them and how much they value me. They also let me know how much I would value them.”

None by Matt Tait

Comments

Dirk Medema 1 month, 1 week ago

Was Roberts the KU assistant that coached at St Johns for a while?

Even if he doesn’t become the pg, you know Coach loves combos and having multiple cgs on the court at the same time.

And explosive is always a good place to start.

Eric Dawson 1 month, 1 week ago

Roberts left KU to coach at St Johns (2004-10), then went to Florida as an assistant coach (2011-12) until returning to KU in 2012 when Danny left KU to be the HC at Tulsa.

Steve Zimmerman 1 month, 1 week ago

This kid is a 4-star? Seriously? We've got ourselves a great one right here. I'm so excited! This kind of player will make us a NC contender. He plays with fire, no-fear and has crazy athleticism. Welcome to the family, Cuffe Jr.!

Creg Bohrer 1 month, 1 week ago

Yep.. I think Self would call him a dog..

Dan Leftwich 1 month ago

Self's recruiting team has developed a real knack for identifying emerging talents and locking them in before they move to the top tier. Frank, Devonte, Dok, even Joel come to mind. Whether it is out of necessity, or just part of their philosophy, it is working. This kid looks like an emerging talent.

Jesse Johnson 1 month, 1 week ago

But can he dunk?

Edit: Ok I just watched the mixtape, and it appears that he can dunk.

Shannon Gustafson 1 month, 1 week ago

It appears that's the thing he does at an elite/pro/5 star level. His dunks off two feet while standing in the lane in traffic are super impressive. 6'2" guys don't do that very often. He should be very fun to watch.

Creg Bohrer 1 month, 1 week ago

That would be affirmative ghost rider

Creg Bohrer 1 month, 1 week ago

I don't really think it matters if he can dunk.. I could dunk a basketball in high school. Can he play at said level? Marcus was the most athletic player his high school coach ever had ( according to him), but we don't see him dunking all over people and he's still a great player.. Dunking a basketball doesn't mean anything unless you can play.

Steve Zimmerman 1 month ago

It does matter when it comes to recruitment. Compared to guys at his height (as well stated above by SG) in HS, coaches would love to have him in a heartbeat. In college, it is totally different, of course. No one knows either. The same logic applies to Marcus. He might be a great defensive player at college level, but I doubt he'd be picked in the first round. The league want players who can score who can make highlights, who can play physical not just those who can defend. Until unless Marcus develop his offensive plays, I don't see him as NBA material.

David Friend 1 month, 1 week ago

Historically we get to the final four when we have a player form the NYC area..