Realignment Today: 3:44 p.m. update — KU coach Bill Self chimes in on realignment; ACC expansion and more rumors from Big Ten country

3:44 p.m. Update:

Still working on a few things and waiting on a few calls to see if I can get some more info on all of this, but nearly all of the people I have talked to continue to point to the Big 12's comfort at 10 teams as a very real thing and something that does not put the conference in any danger.

Here's a column from Dennis Dodd of CBSSports.com that essentially spells out why. Most of it you've heard here, but it's still a good read.

Also, in case you didn't check out the audio from KU men's basketball coach Bill Self's news conference today, here's a look at some of Self's thoughts on the current state of conference realignment:

“Everybody thought it was pretty much status quo, and there’s one guy working behind the scenes that’s really good that has now changed the entire landscape of what’s going on, and that’s (Big Ten commissioner) Jim Delany,” Self said. “With what he’s done with the Big Ten, it’s now caused a trickle down.”

“The SEC is going to poach somebody now,” Self said. “They’re going to go to 16. The ACC is going to have 16. But, the SEC may poach the ACC, so now that’s going to screw that number up. So where are we on this stuff? I don’t know that we could be on more solid footing right now,” Self said. “With the situation with the SEC and the Big 12 in football, the alliance, the new television deal, we are in great shape. I don’t think there’s any need to rush to do anything.”

“I think with the movement that’s going on, the landscape will change and feelings will change,” Self said. “Now maybe the way we thought it was isn’t exactly the way it could be two or three, five years from now.”

Stay tuned...

9:51 a.m. Update:

Here's a nice assessment of things from Matt Hayes, of the Sporting News, who spells out more clearly what the result of the ACC's lawsuit against Maryland (for full payment of the $50 million exit fee) could mean for the future of the ACC and the future of expansion and realignment.

8:56 a.m. Update:

As expected, the ACC woke up bright and early this morning to vote to add Louisville starting in 2014. Here's a nice recap on the whole thing from ESPN.com's Brett McMurphy.

It'll be interested to see where things go from here. Even though the move to grab Louisville would seem to indicate that the ACC is going to survive, it actually could wind up being a move that makes their situation more precarious, as the Big Ten, Big 12 and SEC all could see it as a sign that they should get going with their expansion plans (not that the Big Ten needs the nudge) which could lead all three to look toward other ACC schools as outlined below.

Now that this has become official, I'll do a little checking around to see if anyone in the Big 12 or at KU has any kind of reaction.

It's interesting, because people assumed for months that Louisville would jump at the chance to join the Big 12. And they probably would have. But, as I outline below, I don't think the Big 12 is crying over this one. If it truly wanted the Cardinals, it would've signed them up long before getting to this point.

I also thought this Tweet that just came through from ESPN's Joe Schad was pretty interesting:

ACC Presidents have agreement to disclose any contact from other conferences and source says it hasn't happened outside of Maryland — Joe Schad via Twitter

Doesn't mean much for the news from today, but could mean a lot moving forward if other leagues try to poach more ACC members.

Stay tuned...

Original Post, 11:49 p.m. CST 11/27

A couple of quick conference realignment notes to get your Wednesday morning started off right (or cap off your Tuesday night depending upon in which time zone you’re reading this).

First, let’s look at what’s new in the ACC, where news broke this week that the league officially has filed a lawsuit against Maryland requesting the entire $50 million buyout and, while that was going on, decided to call a meeting for Wednesday morning (Nov. 28, a.k.a. today) to talk about expansion.

If universities hopping three time zones and not batting an eye at multi-million dollar penalties to play in new leagues didn’t lead you to the conclusion that this whole thing’s a mess, maybe that last part will. You read it right. The most vulnerable of all the current BCS leagues, the one in danger of having the rest of its teams plucked away by the Big Ten, SEC and, yes, even the Big 12, is actually looking to expand.

Hey, they could be onto something and it may very well be the only way for the league to survive. Desperate times call for desperate measures, right?

Anyway, one of the hottest expansion targets for the suddenly scrambling ACC is Louisville. Louisville, you may recall, has long been rumored to be a potential target for the Big 12 should it choose to expand. Wonderful.

Here’s my take on the Louisville component. If the Big 12 wanted Louisville — and I mean truly wanted it, not just thought it would be a decent option if other parts fell into place — it would have signed them up by now. I’m not knocking the Ville or saying it would or would not be a good option for the Big 12. I’m simply saying that those who think the league would cry over losing out on Louisville may be mistaken.

Here’s an outstanding breakdown of what’s going on in the ACC at the moment. Although it’s clear from this report that there may be some serious movement here, the report also makes it clear that the potential additions of Navy, UConn, South Florida and Cincinnati, along with Louisville, hardly would represent a coup for the ACC. Survival, perhaps, but certainly nothing to celebrate with a parade or national holiday.

Evidently, today’s ACC conference call to discuss handing out official invitations is set for 7 a.m., so by the time many of you are reading this, things could be well on their way. Even if that’s the case, there’s still plenty of interesting stuff here and plenty to talk about.

Now, let’s look at things from the point of view of the anti-realignment crowd, the group that’s tired of all the moving and shaking and nonsense and just wishes this whole thing would come to an end once and for all.

After news hit that Maryland and Rutgers were leaving the ACC and Big East to join the Big Ten, Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott was asked how the move would impact the Pac-12. In short, he said it wouldn’t and he reaffirmed that stance this week by saying that recent expansion talks within the conference produced the same conclusion that the league came to toward the end of the last round — there is no need, at this time, for the Pac-12 to go beyond 12 schools and the league is happy with its current number.

Kind of sounds like another conference I know.

Anyway, here’s a report from Nov. 19 from Chris Dufresne of the L.A. Times, who details Scott’s thoughts.

Finally, there’s more smoke coming from Big Ten land that the 14-team conference wants two more and has sent out feelers to Virginia, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Notre Dame and, yep, Kansas.

As I explained last week, it does not make any sense, at least not as things stand right now, for KU to leave the Big 12 for the Big Ten. As appealing as some things might be, the financial burden of leaving the Big 12 would cripple KU’s athletic department.

It would not surprise me at all if Jim Delany and the Big Ten became the first league to reach 16 teams. It also would not make me think any more highly of that league or what they have going on. Bigger, we’ve heard time and time again throughout this ordeal, is not always better.

If Delany gets there, look for Virginia and Georgia Tech to be the two teams he does it with, which only adds more meat to the argument that the ACC, though still in existence, is far from a thriving conference. Take Virginia and Tech away and you’re looking at an even less appealing league, with or without expansion.

So there you have it. The Big Ten and ACC are actively looking to expand, the Pac-12 and Big 12 appear content at 12 and 10 schools, respectively, and the SEC seems more concerned with hiring football coaches and seeing if it can make it seven straight BCS champions than adding new members. Don’t think for a second that all three of the quote/unquote quiet conferences in this have their eyes close right now. Heads are on swivels and activity is being tracked.

If we’ve learned anything through realignment it’s that things can move awfully quickly.

Stay tuned...

;

Comments

LogicMan 1 year, 4 months ago

On-air and blog rumors in Tampa that FSU is to announce, in a week or so, a move to the Big 12. Could be nothing, of course.

Jay Dogger 1 year, 4 months ago

Question: What matters less to the decision-makers---the fans/alumni or the student athletes?

Answer: Both or, it doesn't matter. The fans/alumni and student-athletes are next to irrelavant in these matters. Of course, if you ask the decision-makers they'll probably say they're doing what's best for the school. I think the fans/alumni and student-athletes would count as part of the school.

Everyone loses. At least that's my opinion. Every year I become a slightly bigger sports fan yet a slightly smaller college sports fan.

I really hope the Big 12 survives. It's hard enough trying to get excited for KU vs. TCU or KU vs. West Virginia... I can't imagine trying to get excited about KU vs. Washington State or KU vs. Northwester or KU vs. Clemson.

I realize this all about money and putting out a product, but don't they realize they are degrading the product with every realignment? Is anyone excited about seeing Rutgers vs. Indiana? Or Pitt vs. Wake Forest? I know I'm not.

THE_REAL_DEAL_WITH_BILL_MCNEIL 1 year, 4 months ago

Maybe we are expecting too much from a journalist. Journalists aren't trained in intelligence, so asking them to make predictions and draw inferences is just not something they are capable of doing.

JHWKDW 1 year, 4 months ago

I still say after all is said and done, Texas will get a ACC bid. The LHN is and will always be a failure. I think ESPN may regret getting in bed with these arrogant fools in Austin.I think it will be a LHN/ACC network. Trust me ESPN does not want to throw away 200 Million dollars. And so far, this LHN is a BIG FAIL! ESPN wants something to happen with that money they spent on that LHN trust me I think the people that created this are freaking out. Since the ACC does not have a network like Pac-12, and Big10, and hey the SEC is getting their own network soon. Guess what major conferences does not have a network? Big XII-2 and the ACC.Texas has already said no to a network like that for the Big 12, like the other 3 have, but when the conference implodes, guess what they will have to do in order to join the ACC? I guarantee the other conferences (P-12,B10,SEC), correction they already told them no to joining! They want nothing to do with Texas and their selfish, conference destructive ways. The ACC will take W. Va and Texas after the Big 12 is gone.

I still say we must talk to OU and OSU and Texas Tech, and KU and KSU all join together and try to join the Pac-12. First off OU and OSU said they did not want to go to the Pac-12 alone without some rivals that are close to their state. Plus they have to realize what a poison pill Texas is. Forget having Texas in their conference. They will drag you through the mud also. You do not want that. We are a good rival to you guys, and we can be a good football team, and rival to you I know KSU can be to you.Hey Oklahoma even if you are in a separate conference you can still have your game. Hey Texas told KU it could still play Missouri even if they left. Anyway you guys always played each other long before 1994, and were not conference rivals.

You know I also hope Iowa State gets in the Big10. I hope Baylor, TCU and WVU get into a great conference hopefully not in that loser Conference Big LEast.I hope the best for everyone else in our conference here well except for Texas Longhorns

142466 1 year, 4 months ago

I haven't posted a comment on the LJW board for over a year now, not since the time of the last realignment maneuvers. The good news, for me anyway at my advanced age, is that that I've yet again avoided the reaper. The realignment machinations fascinate me. No other press coverage bests Matt's. Here's are my 2 bit incendiarisms. I expressed all this during the prior chess match. Current events reinforce my views. 1. The Big 12 Conference, having only 10 members, is a structural dinosaur compared to the other BCS Conferences (heck, maybe even compared to where the Big East will end up). 2. We should have added Boise, BYU, Cinci, & Loui to get to 16 (with Houston, Rice, SMU, New Mexico, Colo State, & even SDSU as possible backups). Don't let the B12 front office tell you how rough the waves are. Tell them to just bring the ships into port. BCS Conferences are athletic business consortiums, not academic debating clubs. 3. Since the B12 is doomed, KU should have been doing everything possible, mostly in secret, to get into the B1G. Make it happen. Huge long-term benefits to the entire state of Kansas. 4. Iowa State to the B1G, too. ISU is much stronger academically than many casual observers realize. Better than KU in FB. Lawrence, Ames, Lincoln, Iowa City, & Minneapolis are a natural geographic fit. Maybe, barely, the Wildcats make the cut. KU, ISU, KSU would all be required to significantly expand their FB stadiums. 5. KU should be lobbying the PAC12, too. Don't fret the time zone difference. Bring along some other B12 schools, and the time zone difference becomes no Biggie. I'm sure others here have already explained why.

THE_REAL_DEAL_WITH_BILL_MCNEIL 1 year, 4 months ago

Where did that KU guy's stuff go? The one guy who is talking the most sense in all of this gets banned? wtf

I thought he had great points that athletic directors and coaches are not in the loop on any of this and that kusports.com needs to be working contacts on the academic side: Chancellor/Provost/Regents. I guess that was too hot for this podunk operation.

Here you go, straight from a conference commissioner's mouth: "Some people want to criticize the commissioners. My quote on that is that the Presidents have been in charge since 1990. Ultimately they control all of this. They have endorsed all of these high salaries for coaches, buyouts. They have endorsed the expansion and the conference raiding. They do this with good intentions, but there are unintended consequences from their actions.”

Interviewing coaches and ADs is a complete waste of time. Go interview the people actually in charge. And yes, I fully expect to be banned for this.

UniversityofKansas 1 year, 4 months ago

If the Georgia Tech thing is true, the ACC is still probably pretty solid. They can now add UConn without a problem if they want. Then add Navy, and force Notre Dame to play 2 extra games and boom, they are at 16 with solid additions.

THE_REAL_DEAL_WITH_BILL_MCNEIL 1 year, 4 months ago

And for comment #300, I'll say this:

KU has nothing in common with any of the remaining Big 12 schools except for Texas and maybe Oklahoma. It's time to leave. The B1G is full of KU-like schools and we would fit right in. No more ag school nonsense.

KU is a school, not a sports team.

THE_REAL_DEAL_WITH_BILL_MCNEIL 1 year, 4 months ago

Question of the day: Has Matt Tait ever even seen this Grant of Rights that he is so convinced is iron-clad? Has anyone?

THE_REAL_DEAL_WITH_BILL_MCNEIL 1 year, 4 months ago

So the current rumor is that Georgia Tech will be school #15 for the B1G. I'm really hoping the sources about KU being school #16 were right.

Otherwise, we better get used to forever being affiliated with a bunch of no-name ag schools in fly-over country.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 4 months ago

Matt in your last update you talk about calls and waiting...we are all hungry for another rumor...please please give us more!

LogicMan 1 year, 4 months ago

KU isn't going to the B1G anytime soon unless either the conference is dissolved by a backroom agreement of our presidents, or there is a deal for another big name or two to replace KU. Think B1G agrees not to take or block FSU, Clemson, or Miami if it gets KU.

But this minor talk of KU or the Big 12 breaking up is by ACC folk trying to muddy the waters. They are the ones under the knife right now, not the Big 12.

Latest, from the classic unnamed sources for the bloggers who have been the most accurate, is that GaTech to the B1G is a done deal. UVa has mucked up the move of them and UNC to the B1G, but maybe they are just legally covering their backside like MU and others did before they jumped. FSU and others are willing to go to the Big 12 if the B1G and SEC pass on them. The UofL may yet end up with us, despite the recent news.

THE_REAL_DEAL_WITH_BILL_MCNEIL 1 year, 4 months ago

Strong rumblings from multiple sources that KU is going to the B1G within a week. God I hope this is true.

Remember, KU is a school, not a sports team.

William Weissbeck 1 year, 4 months ago

I'm missing why people are content with Louisville going to the ACC and Tait's opinion that the ACC remains vulnerable. They were already the best BB conf. They have taken the best of the Big East. For the ESPN and East Coast folks, there is TV money there. The Big 12 is taking a big gamble that it will become BB irrelevant. KU at the top of a Mountain West type league with no competition from Jan. until the NCAA tournament. That can't help either national recruiting or actual games against real competition. Football is just as shaky. If Mack Brown continues at this pace, it will only be OU and K-State as the consistent FB schools. A&M put themselves in a good position to poach more talent from Texas. This isn't looking pretty.

UniversityofKansas 1 year, 4 months ago

While I appreciate the Bill Self quotes, I don't really see their value. What does he, or any other coach for that matter, really know?

I'd like to see some statements from the people that actually have some amount of control when it comes to conference realignment:

Bernadette Gray-Little (KU Chancellor)

Jeffrey S. Vitter (KU Provost)

Tim Emert (Chair, Kansas Board of Regents)

Christine Downey-Schmidt (Kansas BoR)

Mildred Edwards (Kansas BoR)

Fred Logan (Kansas BoR)

Dan Lykins (Kansas BoR)

*Ed McKechnie (Kansas BoR, especially him since he is on record stating that KU and K-State should be tied together)

Robba Moran (Kansas BoR)

Janie Perkins (Kansas BoR)

Kenny Wilk (Kansas BoR)

Andy Tompkins (President, Kansas BoR)

And really, any top official from any Big 12, B1G, PAC, SEC, or ACC school for that matter.

These are the people in charge, not coaches or athletic directors. But, I'm afraid that these kinds of contacts are probably outside of the purview of most sportswriters and that is why these realignment announcements keep coming as "surprises."

It's pretty clear that conference realignment is a big news story just by looking at the number of comments here compared to any other article on kusports.com and I guess I'm just wondering why we aren't seeing more journalistic resources being utilized on this. This is a big enough deal to not be relegated to a blog of one guy just collecting links.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 4 months ago

Part 2:

For the PAC, they really have no where to go geographically, other than to try to poach the Big 12. That didn't go like they wanted last time and I really think they are content to sit this out right now. They are on solid enough ground to know they aren't going anywhere and will be relevant in the coming/changing landscape. Why divide the pie any further right now?

That leaves the Big 12. The Big 12 holds about five MAJOR players in football right now and THE major player in TV's, football, etc, in Texas. As long as Texas stays put, the Big 12 will continue to exist. KU will not leave the league if Texas stays. No other team will leave if Texas stays. Texas has not desire to go anywhere because they are the BIGGEST dog in the conference and probably the nation right now. They control everything from where they sit. Why change that? The only way the Big 12 changes is if the ACC loses it's lawsuit against Maryland and FSU and Clemson become available on the cheap. Even then, I think more dominos have to fall before the Big 12 steps in.

Just my two cents.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 4 months ago

I don't share the sentiment that the Big 12 is doomed or is even on shaky ground. They will continue to be one of the power players in this conference game and they actually sit in a great position. First, you have to ask, Why are conferences wanting to expand, and is it the same for each conference? Finally, what are the pros and cons?

For the SEC, there currently is no pressing reason to expand. They are on solid ground for the forseeable future; they wouldn't gain that much in additional TV revenue by expanding yet again (see their overcalculation on that with MU and aTm) and they are not worried about anyone leaving for another conference. About the only reason to expand right now would be to come up with a better football schedule, because 7 teams per division is a mess. So, the SEC will be content to sit back and watch this unfold. If the ACC implodes, then they will go to 16. Otherwise, they stay pat.

For the B1G, I think we are all missing the reason for their expansion. I don't believe it was about academic standing, although that may have played a part. It definitely wasn't about football. The reason for their expansion had to be new markets in DC and NY. I don't think it has anything to do with trying to move the landscape to 4 superconferences or anything like that at all. One thing we know about Delaney is that he is a forward thinker. Someone on here did an analysis showing the population decline in almost every state covered by the B1G. Delaney sees this. To keep the TV money rolling in, he needs to get into the markets that are experiencing population growth. DC and NY fit that mold. The fact that he took Maryland and Rutgers, two schools that do not fit the typical B1G mold, I think point to this. Also, I wonder if ND's recent committment to the ACC had something to do with Delaney targeting an ACC school. As an added bonus, Delaney knows that if he can destabilize the ACC, he still may have a shot at ND, which is the crown jewel he has always coveted. I don't think the B1G has any plans to add more teams unless ND is part of the package. Then it would be ND and one other.

For the ACC, they are in full blown panic mode, much as the Big 12 was twice in the past. If they don't shore up the walls quickly, as the FSU source stated, welcome to "free agency." So, Big East schools, welcome to the ACC. Louisville, welcome to the ACC. I think the admission of Louisville was a nod to Florida State and Clemson wanting some/ANY competition in football going forward. Other than that, they don't necessarily fit the ACC mold.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 4 months ago

Honestly, if we leave the Big XII, I think I've seen some of you say PAC-12....I think that they'd be LAST on my list. Games two time zones back!?!?!?!? Sorry, but I'm not watching games that start at 10:30 CST!!!! And that would be the case for a ton of the road games you'd be playing there!!!

In order I'd want:

Big Ten ACC SEC PAC-12

JHWKDW 1 year, 4 months ago

Folks, the ACC WILL NOT IMPLODE! Yeah they may lose a few more teams, do not get me wrong, but after the dust settles, they will get replacements and survive. The only teams I see in the future leaving are one of the North Carolina schools (UNC, NC St) and one of the Virginia schools (Va,Va Tech) going to the SEC. Im surprised Louisville and Memphis did not go to the SEC.

People, in the final end game of all this, It will be kind of like the NFL in that there will be 4 major divisions.In the NFL in both the AFC and NFC, there is a North, South, East, and West.But it will be a 20 team mega-conferences. In the East it will be the ACC, In the South it will be the SEC, the West Pac-12, The North will be the the Big 10.If you are not in one of these conferences, you are dog meat if that.The Big 12 IMHO is NOT looking good in the future plans, neither is the Big LEast!Hey Coach Self I love you but arent you glad we are not in the Big LEast? Our Best home would be in the Pac-12 if not there the Big 10. The revenue sharing is better in one of them conferences, no more Tier 3 B.S. Equal revenue sharing for Kansas.

JHWKDW 1 year, 4 months ago

People, in the final end game of all this, It will be kind of like the NFL in that there will be 4 major divisions.In the NFL in both the AFC and NFC, there is a North, South, East, and West.But it will be a 20 team mega-conferences. In the East it will be the ACC, In the South it will be the SEC, the West Pac-12, The North will be the the Big 10.If you are not in one of these conferences, you are dog meat if that.The Big 12 IMHO is NOT looking good in the future plans, neither is the Big LEast!Hey Coach Self I love you but arent you glad we are not in the Big LEast? Our Best home would be in the Pac-12 if not there the Big 10. The revenue sharing is better in one of them conferences, no more Tier 3 B.S. Equal revenue sharing.

BPSkelly 1 year, 4 months ago

I think Dodd's article is pretty apt. My guess the next 'big move' (if and when) will be the Big 10 going for UNC / UVA. I dont think the SEC would want to make the next move, but who knows. And they'll only do that if they are adding T.V. sets. Which is why there is logic to the ideas out there that Va Tech / NC State are teams they might go after. I dont believe FSU or Clemson (or others for that matter) would bolt unless the poaching begins.

I do think the competition between Fox and ESPN will benefit us as well, and potentially greatly. Big 10 / Pac 12 are Fox. ACC, SEC are ESPN. Big 12 is... both. And from what it sounds like, they literally 'split' the package for football. Fox is also starting up "Fox Sports One" after the Super Bowl. While its hard to envision it 'knocking off' ESPN, it will be nice that it almost assures us of getting more TV exposure than we realistically have earned. Think about it... we're likely the WORST (or amongst the worst) of the BCS football teams... and 10 of our 12 games have been televised nationally or regionally. Yes, some of that is through regional sources (Fox Sports wherever your from) but I dont recall KU getting as many games on air before. And we're gawd awful. My guess is between Fox, ABC, ESPN, FX, ESPN2, Fox Sports regional networks, ESPNU, and the new Fox Sports One; odds are good virtually ALL Big 12 conference games for football will be nationally televised. There's value in that.

Look... I dont think we're out of the woods. I think the Dodds article points out though that the Big 12 is comfortably safer than the ACC though. That might not mean much, if anything. But if the ACC implodes, the Big 12 will only benefit.

blindrabbit 1 year, 4 months ago

Mea culpa: PAC12, either way let's go if offered!

blindrabbit 1 year, 4 months ago

Let's pack it to the PAC10 if offered. As Horace Greeley said "Go West Young Man".

troutsee 1 year, 4 months ago

If we are offered by the Big 10, we go, period. End of story. The Big 12 is very vulnerable and has been slow to react over the years. We would be stupid to turn down the B10 or the Pac 12. The Big 12 will not survive without expansion.

bville_hawk 1 year, 4 months ago

THE_REAL_DEAL_WITH_BILL_MCNEIL = mangino0holtz

jhawkrulz 1 year, 4 months ago

I was curious if the Grant of Rights is for Home Football games?

If so, couldn't KU just play all of their football games on the road or at Arrowhead, until the GOR is over?

KU keeps their Tier 3 TV rights, which was 3 or 4 football games this year and I would guess about 70% of their basketball games. Again most basketball games are Tier 3 so you wouldn't have to play them away from home.

blindrabbit 1 year, 4 months ago

90sHawk: Agree with part of your response to my prior, especially about the Big12 taking Clemson and FSU if offered, the Big12 is already "culturally" integrated. But, I'll bet the Big10 and SEC would avoid integrating. By-the-way, if you were from a Northern State school, would you want to play in Oxford, Baton Rouge, Columbia S.C.or either Alabama schools, they don't want any Yankees down there. Missouri was tough enough for the SEC to swallow.

JayhawkerX3 1 year, 4 months ago

Wakes up in the morning and finds out Larry Hagman is still alive....and all of the "conference realignment" has been a (nightmare) dream!!

blindrabbit 1 year, 4 months ago

Something to think about in this re-alignment mess! The Big10 now has 14 schools and none from the Old South (Civil War Era) states! The SEC now has 14 schools and none from the Union (Civil War) States; all schools were from seceded states, except border state Missouri. The PAC10 falls outside this issue. The Big12, Big East and ACC have combinations of the issue. So what, my guess is that the main reasons that the Big10 did not take Missouri is the above, also why the SEC is not interested in adding any "Northern" schools .Interesting to add to the mix.

JayHok 1 year, 4 months ago

Why when I go to www.KUSPORTS.com is there a picture of Rick Pitino yelling at me?

90sHawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Reading some of the comments on here is laughable. The hysteria and doomsday scenarios are pure entertainment. So many arm-chair lawyers and experts on conference realignment. I personally think the Dodd article was fairly accurate; just my opinion. I think some schools, particularly FSU, are waiting to see how the negotiations go with Maryland's exit fee before deciding to act; assuming the Big Ten and SEC haven't already poached more teams leading the conference to start crumbling around them and forcing them to act. If the SEC sticks to what they've said and historically done, they want 2 schools like NC St and Va Tech (market expansion in new territories). The Big Ten, I believe, is unlikely to grab any distant schools which is why I think GTech is all rumor. I think they'd love to get UVA and UNC (contiguous footprint, great academic schools, new markets) and call it good. Bottom line, it definitely looks to be heading to 16 team super conferences, and to me it is the ACC that will lose out. They have disgruntled football schools in FSU, and to a lesser degree Clemson, and have now added Louisville. Any new additions like that, or less impressive, will only fuel FSU's angst. But I believe any FSU, Clemson, etc move to the Big 12 only comes AFTER the B1G or SEC have taken a couple more teams from the ACC. Those 2 conferences want to have their 16 teams in place for the new TV deal (B1G) and conf. network (SEC) that are on the horizon.

blindrabbit 1 year, 4 months ago

The State of Kansas is football poor. Regardless, I think everyone will agree football is the controlling factor in all of this re-alignment movement, basketball is rather insignificant and to KU's disadvantage. Additionally, as good as Kansas State is in football, it is evident to me that the State of Kansas does not contribute very many quality football players to the major college level. In comparing the State of Nebraska to Kansas (Nebraska has 1 million less residents) it is apparent the Nebraska has a much richer high school crop. To give evidence, here is a comparison of the NU, KU and KSU programs. Nebraska has a 135 man roster with 62 or 47% in-staters. KU has a 102 man roster with 26 or 25% in-staters. KSU has a 131 man roster with 59 or 45% in-staters. If comparing NU with the combined KU-KSU rosters it is even more apparent that Nebraska has the more successful in-state production. Again NU has 135 and 62 or 47% in-staters and the KU-KSU combined roster have 233 and 85 or 36% in-staters. What is wrong here, strange because Oklahoma, Missouri and Iowa are better contributors than Kansas!

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 4 months ago

What makes the Big12 different from any other conference is the inequality of its one member, Texas, versus the other schools. UT is a behemoth, and it can call the shots. What they decide, decides the fate of the Big12.

Last summer, UT found out that they couldn't call the shots in the Pac12, and while the idea of expansion might have seemed unsavory to the Pac12 commissioners last year, it might not seem as unsavory in the future. That leaves all schools not named OU and UT in the dark. This is why some of us want to leave now. We've been the poached. We're still thought of that way nationally if you read other boards. No one can blame any school for making a move that is best for itself. If you believe that we live in the era of binding gentlemen's agreements--you're not paying attention. Wall Street has just a strong a say in realignment as the academic institutions do.

UniversityofKansas 1 year, 4 months ago

One more thing that I think everyone is missing as to the grant of rights should be painfully obvious: OU and Texas have no desire to ever expand the Big 12 because that would only make it harder to dissolve the conference. Right now they have a majority: KU, OU, OkState, TTech, UT, WVU, and maybe K-State. The only schools the Big 12 could add are schools that no other conference are going to want. These are going to be schools like Baylor that will file lawsuits and go ape in the media to prevent the bigger boys from leaving them behind.

Big 12 expansion is NOT in KU's best interest.

UniversityofKansas 1 year, 4 months ago

Louisville to the ACC isn't that big of a deal. It's unfortunate that KU is still stuck in the Big 12, but it could be worse.

I just don't see FSU and Clemson really wanting to join the Big 12, especially with Notre Dame now having a 5 game football deal with the ACC. I also don't know why everyone seems to have forgotten about that. Notre Dame is 3 games short of being a full-football member of the ACC. 3 games. That's it. Someone up there posted about Navy possibly joining the ACC, and we all know that Notre Dame-Navy is a big game. They would always schedule that, so now you are at 6 ACC conference games. It's not too hard to convince Notre Dame to take 2 more games and be a full member, especially when the playoffs are right around the corner.

I'm afraid all this doom-to-the-ACC talk is just wrong. The ACC lost Maryland, true, but that isn't really that big of a deal either. They still have the DC market, it's just that now so does the Big Ten.

And for those of you that think that the SEC is going to take FSU, Clemson, GT, or whatever, you are wrong too. The SEC isn't interested in any schools that don't augment their geographic footprint. So, for the SEC to expand, it would need to look to Virginia, North Carolina, West Virginia, Oklahoma, and Kansas. The question is whether Virginia Tech or Virginia would be interested in leaving the ACC for the SEC knowing that Notre Dame is coming. I just don't see it happening. That means the only options for SEC expansion are Big 12 territories.

Ball game.

Big_Dipper 1 year, 4 months ago

While I think the Big XII is fine with 10 teams, especially if the Grant of Rights deal is solid; if the Big XII is interested in expanding, I don't think a wait and see attitude is the best move. They tried that for 2 years and got hurt. They need to be more offensively minded if they do want to expand. Besides, it really isn't a matter of will the conference expand, as when.

Robert Brown 1 year, 4 months ago

I find conference realignment fascinating, I think, because something was stable that I enjoyed following for many years is changing and not necessarily for the good. As a loyal KU alum, conference realignment has been frustrating because we don't have any influence. It is difficult for a lot of us to grasp the facts: 1) basketballs doesn't mean anything; 2) KU is located in a state with low population that is not growing 3) none of the three stable conferences want us while some long standing rivals (MU, NU, and CU) were taken by the stable conferences. That certainly damaged our ego.

Just reading the posts today, it appears that a lot of people are clinging to hope that someone really might want us even though there is not a link documenting that the Big 10 has sent out a feeler.

Many people seem to be amateur lawyers saying the Grant of Rights means nothing. We can negotiate that down. How does anyone know? Matt did research and came to the conclusion that it would be difficult to get out of. The Dennis Dodd article made the same claim. If these guys says its solid, I have to believe them.

Everyone seems to think that the conferences have to get to 16 teams. That is not necessary. The media contracts are set for 13 years and have to be honored.

KU is in a much better position than it was last year. I am sure KU was happy with the grant of rights clause. It gave them stability. I think the Dennis Dodd article does the best to frame the Big 12 and KU's situation, which isn't that bad.

Ethan Berger 1 year, 4 months ago

Okay let's say this debate on the cause is academic. My question is why? What is the appeal to move into confs for academics? Is everyone striving toward and Ivy league type situation? Where is the appeal to unite based on academics?

jgkojak 1 year, 4 months ago

If I were the ACC: I'd invite West Virginia

I'd send get a couple of legally-binding assurances from FSU and Clemson, send flowers and apologies to West Virginia, and invite them to join w/their rival Pitt. They'd have to say YES (travel budget) - leaving the B12 w/9 members -

And I'd watch the fireworks. While the B12 gets picked apart.

W/the ACC standing strong, the B1G offers KS... Texas, OU, OSU and TTU head to the Pac 16, and...

ISU and Baylor join the remains of the Big East, KSU and TCU join the Mountain West.

Robert Brown 1 year, 4 months ago

TOTALLY DISAGREE:

Colorado (AAU)- NO- The Pac- 12 wanted to get to 12 to get a conference championship game and Colorado is compatible culturally and geographically and has growing population

Utah (high academic ranking, top 60 worldwide)- NO-Would have preferred UT or OU, but since that didn't work. This was a default pick. Somehow, you have to get to 12 and this was the best option in the region.

Missouri (AAU)- The SEC realized a 13 team schedule was not going to work and needed to get to 14. Missouri is an adjancent state with a large population and was looking to leave an unstable situation at the time. The other options include a team from N.Carolina or a team from Virginia which were in more stable positions last year.

Texas A&M (AAU)- SEC coveted getting into Texas. Culturally, A&M feels like an SEC school. A&M wanted to stick it to UT.

Rutgers (AAU)- The NY-NJ Metro Area has nearly 20 Million people with TV sets.

Maryland (AAU)- The Baltimore-DC Metro Area has over 8 million people with TV sets

Nebraska (AAU at time of move to B1G)- NU has a football brand

6/7 additions to stable conferences were AAU schools. 86%

Ron Prichard 1 year, 4 months ago

I'm going to just state for the record:

1) The Big 12 will outlive the ACC.

2) The only things that matter are money and security. The Big 12 has more of both of those than the ACC right now.

3) Texas isn't going anywhere. They are the undisputed top dog in the Big 12 and make more money than they would in any other conference. Plus, they will not give up the LN.

4) If Texas stays put, so does KU.

THE_REAL_DEAL_WITH_BILL_MCNEIL 1 year, 4 months ago

The reason everybody keeps buying into the myth that conference realignment is somehow only about football is because the only people writing about it are sports reporters and they just aren't trained to see the big picture.

Let's review:

Colorado (terrible at football)

Utah (terrible at football)

Missouri (terrible at football)

Texas A&M (mediocre at football)

Rutgers (terrible at football)

Maryland (terrible at football)

Nebraska (OMG! a football school!!!)

1/7 additions to stable conferences could arguably be because of football. 14%

poet008 1 year, 4 months ago

So, what if Mr. Booth who is connected to Chicago really wants KU in the Big 10?

He is worth $5 billion, give or take a billion.

If he really wants KU in the Big 10, could he pay the cost of the grant of rights?

How much are we talking?

Remember, he paid $4 million for a piece of paper.

Justin Lindsley 1 year, 4 months ago

So the first round of conference bouncing was because of football. Now its because of academics?

Krohnutz 1 year, 4 months ago

So Matt, by saying you think they will pursue Georgia Tech you are saying the Big 10+2+2 is attempting to move across the Mason-Dixon line. I assume to pick up fertile recruiting grounds, televisions, and bring in some of that drunken, toothless South.

While I agree they would like to, since they are already adding ridiculous amounts of travel for a team that would have no geographical rival (who is close to Atlanta in the Big 10+2+2+2?), why would they not just pony up and go for Florida State?

It is about four hours further straight south to Tallahassee.

I mean, they will already be in a jet aircraft, why not make it the big "get" in the South?

average 1 year, 4 months ago

One issue is that UT and OU see no strong need to expand. It's just cutting the pie pieces more ways from their POV. Unless the expansion grows the pie or lack of expansion really hurts the pie, they don't see a need.

The other 8 schools want expansion for one reason. 12-14 schools = a stabilized home in the game of musical chairs. Iowa State has looked into the abyss of begging for a MAC/MWC slot. TCU just bootstrapped themselves into the big leagues.

But, UT and OU? There's no conceivable circumstance where they get the short end of the stick. Every other conference would take that pair. Or, they could pull together any combo of regional scrubs and still get reasonable TV revenue. And they dominate this conference like no other schools dominate other conferences.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 4 months ago

Everyone needs to be prepared because the only thing that doesn't change is change!!

jgkojak 1 year, 4 months ago

The SEC will move next - taking NC State and Va Tech

The B10 will respond, making their offers, as discussed above, to 1) UNC, 2) VA, 3) Ga Tech then 4) KS

If UNC is to be believed that they are sticking with the ACC, I'd assume the same of VA and possibly Ga Tech

So then what happens?

That's when I believe Pitt and ISU are on the table -- and more likely Pitt - since its bigger than ISU in market and its a nice way to punish Penn St - also note there is some thought the AAU will kick Penn St out, the feds will come down hard, and Pitt could REPLACE Penn St in the B1G

Food for thought.

LAJayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Matt,

A bit off the subject, but I have a request: is it possible to change the layout of your blog so the original post is positioned at the top and the follow ups come after it? Not a huge deal, but it would make it easier for people like me to read when we come into it after several updates. I do see the benefit of having the latest update at the top, but just seems like the other way has better flow. Again, not a big deal, just curious.

Excellent work, as always.

1 year, 4 months ago

I know it's impossible given today's NCAA landscape, but in Fantasy World this would be awesome. Just gut the whole thing.

jgkojak 1 year, 4 months ago

Summary:

For the B1G

Top Tier Notre Dame UNC VA Ga Tech

Second Tier: Kansas Pitt ISU

Helter Skelter: Texas (and if they take Texas, that means they've lured Notre Dame and the rest is moot)

It gets interesting if in the next week or two we see a statement from UNC re-affirming ties to the ACC. So goes Virginia. Possibly so goes Georgia Tech. If that happens, watch out.

jgkojak 1 year, 4 months ago

UConn is not an AAU School and thus not eligible for the B10. Neither is Syracuse (they lost membership).

Here are current AAU Members minus Ivy League/schools w/out Div 1 Football, west coast schools, etc. -- these are the only targets for the B1G outside Notre Dame

Duke University (1938) -- doubt they want 'em if they have UNC, if they don't have UNC, Duke won't go

Georgia Institute of Technology (2010) -- POSSIBLE

Iowa State University (1958) -- if they really want 16, and Ga Tech says NO, they could go after ISU and KS

Rice University (1985) -- they already have their smallish school (Northwestern)/geography bad

Texas A&M University (2001) -- not leaving SEC

Tulane University (1958) -- see Rice

University of Colorado Boulder (1966) -- not leaving Pac 12/bad geography

University of Florida (1985) -- not leaving SEC

The University of Kansas (1909) -- POSSIBLE

University of Missouri-Columbia (1908) -- they wish

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1922) -- it all hinges on UNC

University of Pittsburgh (1974) -- if everyone else says NO they could be a target - Penn St does not want Pitt in the B1G, but those kids didn't want to be touched either, so Penn St doesn't get a say anymore

The University of Texas at Austin (1929) -- this would be worst-case for KS, unless Texas brought KU along (its hinted it prefers KU's company in the past)

University of Virginia (1904) -- if UNC says Yes, VA is gone

Vanderbilt University (1950) -- they'd LOVE to have Vandy - but they're never leaving the SEC

lama 1 year, 4 months ago

The SEC has been quiet. They would love to snag NC State and Va Tech (they'd actually like UNC/UVA, but those schools will never join the SEC). Those are logical markets for SEC expansion. The Big 10 may wait for that to happen and return to UNC, UVA and ND.

jgkojak 1 year, 4 months ago

The Big 10 is after the following schools, in this order, for #15 and #16:

1) Notre Dame -- never gonna happen

so below is the real list:

2) North Carolina -- tremendous academic school, new market

3) Georgia Tech 3) Virginia I can't make up my mind here - I think they want into SEC territory/Atlanta for market and recruiting, but Virginia is geographically sound (w/MD and UNC) and gives you yet another 'in' to the DC metro market. Both are academically Top 50 US News/AAU schools.

5) Kansas

Does UNC leave the ACC? If UNC says 'No' then VA likely says 'No' as well - meaning they go to Georgia Tech - I'm guessing they'd go if asked.

So the fate of Kansas hinges on... UNC.

Let's say the B10 does not lure UNC or Virginia, and grabs Ga Tech - and the B12 grabs Clemson and FSU...and the B10 offers KS...

what does KU do?

Justin Lindsley 1 year, 4 months ago

Did anyone read the Sporting news link Matt gave? They think the ACC days are numbered. I still think the Big 12 comes out of this fine. I think that the ACC added Ville to shore up the their conference when FSU and Clemson come on board with the Big 12. As soon as the Maryland deal is worked out, that will pave the way for FSU.

I refuse to believe that the Big 12 will not be one of the 4 Football conferences. It will be the B1G, SEC, Pac, and the Big 12. Which teams are in each conference is the only question. The Big 12 is much stronger in football than the ACC ever dreamed of being.

The only problem we have, and it is a big problem is the number of eyeballs our region has. But think about a OU vs. FSU and UT vs. FSU. Those games would be huge national exposure.

Jim Jackson 1 year, 4 months ago

I was not aware that UCONN was superior in academics. I think if the Big 10 comes calling, we would need to take a serious look.

That being said, I would like to see BYU, FSU. GTech, Clemson and even SMU getting looks.

We need to be proactive and get to 12 teams for a conference championship and further to that we need AAU institutions.

THE_REAL_DEAL_WITH_BILL_MCNEIL 1 year, 4 months ago

My current prediction:

KU & UConn to the B1G

UT, TTech, OU, OkState to the PAC

WVU & K-State to the SEC

Notre Dame fully joins ACC. ACC adds 1 more school from: Iowa State, Baylor, Tulane, Houston, Rice, Cincinnati, TCU, Temple, Navy

Game over.

jgkojak 1 year, 4 months ago

The ACC has deliberately taken an inferior team to block them from going to the B12 - because they understand - unlike the B12s administrators - that this is kill or be killed. GOR be damned because as we've seen - they'll sue each other and mediate away any real harm.

UConn is superior in academics, geography, even in market share, even in basketball and in the long-term about even in football and facilities. They are forcing the B12s hand - and if the B12 makes no move, we have signed our own death warrant-

today, in 3 years or in 13 years - about 9 years from now, recruits will start being told that the "B12 will be gone and you don't want to play in that situation".

Once MD settles, if we do not contact FSU the B12 is either deliberately choosing to implode (which could suit Texas), or is being run by the same incompetence as always.

We should 1) Contact FSU, Clemson and Ga Tech 2) If all three come, F--K Louisville, we can add Rice to get to 14

Sam Constance 1 year, 4 months ago

Each time the realignment garbage comes up, I care a little less about college athletics than I did the day before.

I'm tired of everyone on this site being an expert at what will/should happen with realignment. ESPECIALLY the ones who apparently feel more connected and informed than Matt Tait himself.

I'm tired of the fans and athletes being the absolute last consideration in an industry that should be ALL ABOUT THE FANS AND ATHLETES (aka, students and alumni)

And I'm especially tired of the fans who look at realignment as something "new" and "exciting", because they can't go five minutes without being distracted by the latest shiny thing to go flying by. Realignment is illogical, unless what you--as a fan--care about in college athletics is how much money your athletic department makes. This is something I've hammered on since the beginning of realignment: I care about the money KU's athletic department brings in on a very detached level, because I understand that revenue is key to continuing success. But in terms of my primary motivations as a fan, revenue is just a number.

As far as the whole "tied to KSU" thing... we SHOULD be tied to KSU. I know this probably isn't a popular position to have, given the "rivalry", but KSU is a KANSAS university. We, as Kansans, and even as Midwesterners should want it to continue thriving, and the best way for both KU and KSU to thrive is to stick together. We don't exactly have the pull of a majorly-populated state. It's the same unfortunate truth that allows Texas to have so much sway, but it is reality.

Robert Brown 1 year, 4 months ago

I have a feeling that 1) the KU-Big 10 rumor does not have alot of validity and 2) we are stuck in the Big 12, given the grant of rights agreement. Given that, it is really in our interest to strengthen the Big 12. That probably comes from adding teams. I really don't know why everyone thinks that Big 12 has to expand or that the Pac-12 has to expand.

At some point, expanding does not make economic sense. I think you now see that in the Pac-12. Once UT was off the board, there is no other economically attractive option.

The SEC says it will only expand into new states, so schools in North Carolina and Virginia are attractive; Florida State, Clemson and Ga Tech are not.

The Big 10 wants to expand its network to places that have a lot of TV sets and that happens to be the Southeast.

The Big 12 is smart by waiting to see what develops. If the ACC breaks up and other schools leave, Florida State, Clemson, Miami and possibly Ga Tech will be looking for greener pastures with the Big 10 and SEC options closed to them since they will have chosen other schools. The greenest pasture available will be the Big 12. If the Big 12 chooses not to pursue these schools in this scenario, then we really have a problem.

THE_REAL_DEAL_WITH_BILL_MCNEIL 1 year, 4 months ago

Unfortunately Mr. Tait has this all wrong. The ACC isn't going anywhere, except into new markets. All the while, the Big 12 sits around hoping that it can survive as the Truckstop 10.

KU needs to get out and get out now. OU, Texas, WVU, OkState, TTech and likely K-State will all go somewhere too. There is no grant of rights concern when the entire conference collapses. Sucks to be Baylor and TCU, but who cares about them anyway?

Emery 1 year, 4 months ago

The B12 is a very pretentious conference. One day we will wake up and it will be gone.

jgkojak 1 year, 4 months ago

Sorry- you snooze, you lose. The B12 is vulnerable and Kansas is vulnerable.

If the B10 comes calling , we accept. No brainer.

If the B12 then needs to add FSU to stay afloat- let 'em.

THE_REAL_DEAL_WITH_BILL_MCNEIL 1 year, 4 months ago

The real question is whether Texas will go to the PAC or the ACC.

BPSkelly 1 year, 4 months ago

Look... we all know who the issue is. And forget the "Longhorn Network". Whats obvious is by NOT pursing a league wide TV network the league itself (never mind the individual schools) has hamstrung itself pretty severely. How can anyone not understand this? Or is it that everyone understands this, but because of UT no one cares?

Even if TLN didnt exist, and UT wanted to be remotely magnanimous (attempt at humor) and we DID have a league wide network we'd curently bring in about half the households of the SECs soon to be network. And exponentially fewer than the BTN. So even under the assumption we all trusted Texas and they werent looking out for their own interests only and we all held hands and sang kumbaya the revenues would likely be better, but with no expansion of footprint it wouldnt be remotely close to the others.

That and that alone is why the conference most likely to dissolve isnt the ACC... its us.

5280 1 year, 4 months ago

Matt,

I appreciate your position that KU's in good shape and the Big 12 is fine with 10 teams, but I think you're being naive and your sources aren't giving you very good perspectives. This notion that the Big 12 is better off with 10 teams and without a championship game has to stop. Why would the Pac-12 and the Big 10, two conferences that previously didn't have championship games agree within the last few years that they should have one if it's such a foolish proposition and an impediment to national championship success?

The Big 12 will always look like an inferior conference in the eyes of the rest of the nation and more importantly the playoff selection committee by having fewer teams AND using the cop-out of avoiding the championship game. In this case, perception is reality.

Look, every major conference is expanding and looking to continue doing so while the Big 12 is losing members on a net basis and apparently not looking to expand. This restricts the conference's television footprint, which is a major driver to all this realignment. Let's stop pretending that this has to do with football success on a win-loss basis. How then do you explain Colorado going to the Pac-12?

KU has to be honest and acknowledge that Missouri made the absolutely right decision by leaving the Big 12, because it appears that the Big 12 by virtue of that fact it has sat on its hands while other conferences have grown is incompetent and putting KU at peril. KU had better be looking for a way out.

The 13-year grant of rights does little to stabilize this dysfunctional conference, as we've seen virtually every school outmaneuver exit fees and departure periods. No reason to think that the grant of rights will withstand legal scrutiny or negotiation tactics if and when Texas, Oklahoma or other schools see an opportunity to leave.

If KU's not actively looking to leave this conference, they're not doing so to the peril of their athletics department. Sorry, there's no way around it.

bangaranggerg 1 year, 4 months ago

Well there you have it- the only way Bill Self doesn't win the Big12 Conference Title is to no longer be in the BIG12 Conference.

midwest_muser 1 year, 4 months ago

It will take about as long for KU to accept a move to the B1G as it takes me to type this comment...maybe less..

Travis Clementsmith 1 year, 4 months ago

UVA is the real lynchpin here. UVA has an affinity for the B1G. FSU wants the SEC. The SEC wants a Virginia and a NC school. Nobody in the ACC wants to be the school that is "blamed" for the ACC downfall, but FSU is not happy with the ACC contracts and basketball centric stance. If the SEC were interested in FSU, FSU would have been gone already. FSU sits and waits to see if SEC might change their mind.

So, it really falls to how much does UVA want to be in the B1G. If they pull the trigger, VT will go to the SEC and try to shake NCST. If NCST can leave, UNC will go to the B1G and the rest will be looking for B12 invites. But, if UVA stays with the ACC, not sure you'll see any further movement in the big conferences.

mikehawk 1 year, 4 months ago

If you don't think KU and KSU are politically tied together, imagine what would happen if it surfaced the Big 10 wanted Kansas State and not us because they are the school in Kansas with the thriving football team and packed stadium competing for national championships? Would KU fans/alums say "oh, darn, shucks, oh, well,"? The legislative phone lines would be lit up and the war of words would be on. Imagine how that would play out around the water coolers at work across Kansas? We would raise holy heck, and vice versa. No, I beg to argue when push comes to shove, the two schools are tied together for better or worse.

The Big 12(10) needs to position itself as a magnet to draw other schools in. Go ahead and say publicly you are happy with 10, but you better be looking to expand. As I've said before, keep Texas and OU in the fold, and the Big 12 will always have clout and drawing power to other schools. This whole deal, as has been said before, is less about attractive football or basketball programs and more about how many TV sets in your state and how much advertising money is to be had.

Robert Brown 1 year, 4 months ago

The expansion targets listed appear to be speculation and essentially looks at AAU members plus Notre Dame. Let's be honest with ourselves. Of the schools listed as possible Big 10 expansion targets, KU is the least attractive:

Notre Dame- that is the homerun every conference is looking for. Virginia- good academics with marginal sports, but opens up a growing and high populated region Georgia Tech- definitely opens up one of the largest and fastest growing parts of the country North Carolina- same at Ga Tech, but with better athletics. Interesting to read some of the comments in ACC land from Florida State- they hate North Carolina the way the Big 12 hates Texas. Kansas has the AAU membership, but academics are not as strong as the other schools. Low population. The KC market is good size but not growing as fast as the other regions.KU basketball will enhance winter programming on Big 10 network, but football brings nothing.

ohjayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

ESPN now reporting Louisville to replace Maryland in ACC in 2014.

Robert Brown 1 year, 4 months ago

I would think that the vulnerable Big 12 schools and that includes KU were the one who were pushing the granting of rights so it would be ironic and possibly hypocritical if KU tries to test it. Right now it appears that KU makes the list of possible expansion targets ofnthe Big 10 primarily because of its AAU status as most speculators look at that as criteria to be considered.

My view is that if Delaney and the Big 10 were serious about KU they would have made a move when the Big 12 was in turmoil. The move to expand with Maryland and Rutgers could have been done at anytime and you have to think they were always on their list as primary targets. Only Notre Dame says no to the Big 10.

Grant of rights means it will cost $260m over 13 years to leave. Not only is there a cost. That means the new conference cannot make any revenue from KU. It all goes back to the Big 12. Therefore, we have no value.

Cody Stumma 1 year, 4 months ago

I'm hearing a lot more about how Kansas and Kansas State are still tied by the Board of Regents and how if a conference wants one team, they have to take both.

Carter Patterson 1 year, 4 months ago

I just wonder why the B1G, Pac12, Big12, and SEC commissioners get in the same room and form a new association and get out of the NCAA. Pick out the remaining quality teams from the ACC and form 8 divisions of 8 schools with a playoff.

Robert Brock 1 year, 4 months ago

More of a consolidation issue: the Big East is morphing into Conference USA. Instead of six major conferences, we will soon have five. Meh.

swunruhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Is Zenger available for comment? What is he saying about all this, Matt?

Andy Tweedy 1 year, 4 months ago

So if the ACC loses two more football schools to the B1G, wouldn't it make sense that the Big XII would then be able to poach FSU and/or Clemson? They were already frustrated, I can't imagine this is helping. PLEASE get back to 12 teams, we need another winnable football game every year!

HawkDigestCom 1 year, 4 months ago

... and if KU and Notre Dame went to the Big 10 would that make it the best overall athletic conference? That would seem to be the dream scenario for the Big 10. Adding KU would put some appeal into their hoops season and tourney.

HawkDigestCom 1 year, 4 months ago

What happens with the GOR if the Big 12 goes away? There aren't a bunch of options out there for the Big 9 if KU goes to the Big 10.

MoralVictory 1 year, 4 months ago

The sad part to the realignment movement is that, if we had adopted an 8 or 16-team football playoff, none of this would have happened. Give every conference a legitimate path to the tournament and a national championship, plus all of the additional revenue, and we probably don't have this mess.

I hate to say it, but KU probably better take the Big 10 offer and run.

Steven Gaudreau 1 year, 4 months ago

Where has tradition and loyalty gone in today's world? I understand the younger generation has no concept of these things. NCAA sports are now dominated by the greedy. Think of what will happen to our town on game days? The fun of crowds and tail gating at the games will be gone. I understand this will not have an effect on the crowds in Allen Field House which is all 99% of you care about but KU football is fun. I have already missed the thousands of Nebraska fans that filled our town and were the most gracious visitors we had every two years not to mention the hundreds of thousands of dollars spent in Lawrence by Nebraskans. Is West Virginia gonna come to Lawrence and do that next year? No. Now we want to to join a bunch of east coast teams? KU football will be dead and so will Lawrence. Several businesses make their nut on KU football weekends. Now we want to unstabilize local business so we can all prance around about KU being a in the Big 10? Kansas will not get a new fan base or anymore repect from ESPN. Only people who went to KU or live in Kansas are KU fans. Our fan base is small because our university is small. KU will never get N.C. or U.K. national respect, never. Stay in the Big 12 and stop being so fricking greedy KU.

MoralVictory 1 year, 4 months ago

If KU goes to the Big 10, then OU and Texas will immediately bolt for either the SEC or the PAC 12, most likely the latter - where they can dominate. If Texas and OU leave, no one will pay anyone any penalties because the league will implode.

And do bet on OU/OSU being tied at the hip. OU will eventually do what is best for OU and no amount of redneck tea partiers will be able to stop it.

LogicMan 1 year, 4 months ago

All current "the grass may be is greener" ACC members are waiting to see the ultimate UMD exit fee. If only $25 million or so, more may jump. If UVa and either or both UNC and GTech jump to the Big Ten, then VaTech and NCState are expected to go to the SEC.

The Big 12 likely then picks up most any pieces it wants. E.g., from FSU, Clemson, GTech, UL, Pitt, and Miami.

If enough decide to jump, then a vote to dissolve the ACC occurs, and if successful, the exit fees could totally disappear.

But ND can stop this cold by accepting full membership in the ACC, and ACC taking one to three new members (UL, UCONN, UCinn, or even Navy).

dfybaby21 1 year, 4 months ago

I notice there is no link to the "feelers", even though this article included two other links. Why would the BIG take Kansas when they are about to get their AAU status stripped? Isn't that one of the psuedo-qualifications that conference pretends to care about?

mahkmood 1 year, 4 months ago

It sounds crazy to lose 13 years of money by moving (GOR), but I honestly think it would be worth it for KU to leave. I don't know how this could be financed, but for people who are visionaries, they would see that 20, 30, 50 years from now it would be well worth it for the university. Most people think short-term; visionaries (Delaney) think far ahead. The B12 isn't forward thinking as a conference, they're just surviving. WVU and TCU were only added for scheduling/TV reasons. UT just doesn't care about the future of the B12; they could survive as an independent.

Adding new markets Rutgers and Maryland were long-term investment plays by Delaney. Why didn't the B12 add Rutgers? Easily could have. It is because the future of the B12 is not a concern of UT, thus no "investments" in expansion, just filler teams for the next season.

I see the ACC having a lot of financial and political pull that will keep the conference together. I realize B12 has better football teams right now than the ACC, but in terms of tv markets (population) the ACC is far superior, and I believe if they expand wisely they will land big enough tv contracts to keep their disgruntled locked in GOR (FSU, GT, Clemson, VT). Remember, Notre Dame (non-football) chose the ACC, and not the B12, for a very good reason.

OU will someday go to SEC or PAC, and then B12 will add the best available table-scrap team at the time (looks like Louisville, Cincinnati, and UConn won't even be available, and Rutgers already gone). UT will eventually function like an independent, much like Notre Dame, when the quality of B12 teams has become too low. Future of B12 looks dead in my opinion. If at all possible - even if financially painful in the short/mid term - KU needs to take the 13 year hit and move to B1G, PAC, or, yes, even the "in current jeopardy" ACC. B12 = death ship if ACC expansion + GOR. 4 x 16 "Bigs" will be B1G, SEC, PAC, and ACC.

moonlightschlademan 1 year, 4 months ago

Moving forward, I think the ACC / Maryland lawsuit will be significant in assessing the stability of the ACC. After the lawyers decide, the allure of the Big 10 $ will entice Virginia , Georgia Tech, North Carolina to jump at the last 2 slots (as Mizzou fans watch the gates open).
Notre Dame will be hesitant after basking in its National title game glory (although it would be interesting to see how they would have reacted if they had to watch a KSU / Oregon title game). It would be a particularly ironic move in that their move to the Big 10 instead of Nebraska a few summers ago would have eliminated all this nonsense.
KU w/ KSU ties, the grant of rights and smaller tv market would likely be a late option unless Tom Osborne has one last fumblerooskie as outgoing AD in the Big 10 conference room and our attorneys have a magic trapdoor on the rights clause.
The Big 10 gets first crack at the ACC schools over the Big 12. Florida State will not have the academics to get in to the Big 12. The Big 12 will hold on Louisville because if 2 more ACC teams bolt to the Big 10, the SEC gets their Va Tech / NC State picks. Then, Florida St / Clemson will be ready to join to make 12 and at that point if we want to get bigger with Louisville they would jump ship again ala TCU in the Big East. If Virginia / Ga Tech go to the Big 10, NC State / Va Tech to the SEC and Clemson / FSU , we have North Carolina / Duke / Wake / BC/ Pitt / Syracuse / Louisville / U Conn / Notre Dame stuck in the ACC flunkee/ Big East graduate conference.

Ferd Magellan 1 year, 4 months ago

I realize there's money to be lost, and lots of history would go down the drain, but it's hard not to be excited about a move to the Big 10. They don't always provide the most exciting brand of football or basketball, but they have the best TV network, most tradition and top academics of any other conference. It would also be great to break our dependence on the state of Texas (I much preferred the Big 8 days).

The Big 12 and ACC won't last forever, so I hope Bonnie and Sheahon are at least open to any interest from the Big 10.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 4 months ago

And don't you think are professors get sick of going to conference meetings and talking to Tilly who is doing the lords work at TCU, Jethro from Oklamobilehoma, and Billy Bob from Texas who drives a Cadillac convertible with bull horns on it?

BleedCnB 1 year, 4 months ago

One would think that Texas and OU are going to want to re-evaluate the 10 team league. Heck not just Texas and OU, I would even toss K-State in there because of this year. I would imagine KU would also like to re-evaluate that being they had the hardest SOS this past season.

The way the conference schedule is now. It makes it really unlikely that a championship will come from a Big 12 team in the near future.

I don't like the idea of staying at 10 teams, yeah it's more money for each school but you also run the risk that even losing 1 school would put the league in peril. I think ultimately a 12 to 14 team league would be ideal.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 4 months ago

You tell me what sounds better for the Kansas brand. Playing in: Chicago, New York, Indy, DC, Penn,

Or

Manhattan, Waco, Stillwater, Ames, Lubbock

A short term financial setback is nothing compared to the long term gains. Hopefully chancellor will step in over sheahorn and realize what is best for the university.

SEsco10 1 year, 4 months ago

Please explain to KSU fans who read this (I know you KSU fans do) that KU is not linked to KSU like OU & OSU are.

How about we trade the nubs for ISU & call it good?

BPSkelly 1 year, 4 months ago

Matt --

Is there even any remote rumblings at all about Big 12 higher ups talking about expanding? It just seems like their sitting on their hands. I agree with the 'bigger' is always better idea to some degree. But so is your growing or dying. It would seem adding markets would make sense and yet we dont seem to have any rumblings like thats in the cards.

At some point, wont we simply run out of teams we could possibly add? My guess is Louisville is as much as a preventative strike as anything else by the ACC. Is FSU still even on the radar with this?

Kyle Sybesma 1 year, 4 months ago

If the B1G has expressed interest KU must explore that option. I know it would be difficult to leave the Big 12 with the new Assignment of Rights (or what ever it's called) but with the future B1G contract coming in 2017 that could pay out well over 20 million KU has to consider a move.

jayhawkinnc 1 year, 4 months ago

All of this realignment stuff is crazy. No, wait....it's stupid. Once the trend started with Nebraska and Colorado bolting in 2010/2011, other schools and leagues said "hey, this is the cool thing to do....everybody's doing it!" This is all getting way out of control and unfortunately, the NCAA can't do a thing about it.

BPSkelly 1 year, 4 months ago

Look... its all Texas. We all know this. Everyone knows this. They and OU to some degree were the ones making the decisions that affect the rest of us. We can hate on it all we want -- and we do -- but its factual. When you see the numbers in $$$ / ratings / potential it's hard to argue that UT couldnt even do this own their own. So they get their cake and eat it too.

We can rise with the tide -- and one could argue that we have, or we can see what else is out there. At the time, it appears like nothing. The Big 10 idea sounds interesting... but not losing 13 years of TV money interesting. Short of knocking out that GOR issue I cant envision anything else happening there.

Im quite sure the Pac would love us over Tx Tech or OSU... but they might not get the big fish without bringing the minnows along. We're in an unbelievably precarious position in my estimation.

Problem is, theres not much to do about it. Other than hope we can trust Texas. So we've got that going for us... ehhh.

lama 1 year, 4 months ago

What is the status of the grant of rights? Has KU signed it -- and how many Big 12 schools have signed? Also, is such an onerous penalty enforceable? It seems no school has ever paid the full exit fee to a league (the Big 12 settled with the four schools that left).