Tyshawn Taylor tops Keegans in loss to Kentucky

1. Tyshawn Taylor: Aggressive senior took it to the Kentucky shot-blockers and had a few blocked, but he also went to the line often enough to make 15 of 17 free throws on his way to 22 points. He didn't have any turnovers and had two steals, but made just 3 of 13 shots from the field.

2. Thomas Robinson: Fouled out in 27 minutes, tried to do too much offensively and finished with 11 points and a game-high 12 rebounds.

3. Jeff Withey: Was a defensive force in the first half and finished with seven points, six rebounds and four blocked shots.

4. Elijah Johnson: Set up teammates with some beautiful passes, but couldn't get his shots to fall (3 of 11). Had eight points, four assists and three steals with just one turnover.

5. Justin Wesley: Had five points and four boards in 21 minutes.

6. Conner Teahan: Nailed a pair of three-pointers in the first half but also had a pair of turnovers, four personal fouls and just two rebounds in 23 minutes.

7. Travis Releford: Had a nice drive and dunk and played well at times defensively but for the most part had a rough night. In 28 minutes he had four points, three rebounds and five turnovers.

8. Naadir Tharpe: Played like a freshman, missing all four shots and committing two turnovers in nine minutes.

9. Kevin Young: Played just two minutes and picked up a pair of boards.

The Keegan Ratings: Season Standings
1. Thomas Robinson (18 points)
2. Tyshawn Taylor (17 points)
3. Elijah Johnson (15 points)
4. Kevin Young (12 points)
5. Jeff Withey (11 points)
T6. Travis Releford (10 points)
T6. Conner Teahan (10 points)
8. Justin Wesley (8 points)
9. Naadir Tharpe (7 points)
10. Merv Lindsay (1 points)

Comments

79ictjhawk 3 years ago

Nothing spells "loss" like the best player for the game going 3 for 13 from the field. I still think we can have a great season though. UK has more tallent than most, and Self & staff will get our guys playing better as the season goes along.

actorman 3 years ago

Good point, except I wouldn't say that Tyshawn was the best player in the game. I think Withey should have gotten Keegan's top honors. As great as it was that Tyshawn got to the line so often, he forced way too much, especially early, and cost KU a chance to take advantage of UK's mistakes in the first half.

drnater 3 years ago

You have to blame more than just Tyshawn for that. I can think of at least 3 plays by each player that could have changed the game. The only player who gave us a chance to do anything in the 2nd half was Tyshawn. Getting to the line and making free throws is just as good as making a shot. So that 3-13 is a skewed stat.

lchronister 3 years ago

Except that missed shots while being fouled don't count toward FG percentage. So he was 3-of-13 on shots that didn't result in free throws. That's atrocious. Tyshawn took a class at Sherron Collins' "We're down and I'm going to take over this game by driving down the lane, head down, as fast as I can and try to throw up a shot against two guys who are 6 inches or more taller than me" school last night and failed the course.

Sean O'Daniel 3 years ago

Most of the missed and bad shots came early in the game though, when a local kid (NJ) playing in a big time game tried to do too much.

I have no problems with the way TT played in the second half.

kugator 3 years ago

What about the turnovers? Still looks as though UK was better, but KU with fewer turnovers and a few more made shots, we could have gotten off to a better chance of a win. KU will always have turnovers, but come on, enough is enough.

Michael Luby 3 years ago

Kentucky was as good a team as we will face all year. We dont have a team like Kentucky in the Big 12 this year. Would have liked to see them win. They could have but didnt. It'll be a teaching moment for the guys and CS will have them ready for another conference championship.

LAJayhawk 3 years ago

Tyshawn had 2 assists... and the second one came with about a minute and a half left in the game on a EJ 3-point shot. I appreciate his aggressiveness, but he needs to make better decisions with the ball. Continue to drive the lane, but he has to know it's ok to pass. If TT is the leading scorer every game, we will have some problems.

That being said, this was kind of what I expected to happen. We have building to do, and I think this is a step that will help us down the line. This team will only get better. Withey is ahead of what I thought he would be. Once TRob understands that he can't throw everything on his shoulders, those two together are going to be an advantage down low when it seems like the "bigs" are our weak spot. EJ is going to find his groove. I can just see it. He's just a slight tweak away from becoming a dominant guard. And there may be no one in the country better at getting to the rim than TT. If he figures out better things to do with the ball with his ridiculous quickness, he will be the best point guard in the country (and I say that with all seriousness in what he will mean to this team if he figures out how to find the open man or finish when the opportunity is open for it).

This season is going to take patience, but these kids can get it done.

actorman 3 years ago

Tyshawn reminded me a lot of Sherron in one of his "takeover"-type games, where he tried to do too much and forced a lot. It's a little worrisome that Tyshawn is still doing those kinds of things as a senior, but hopefully it's just because of the level of competition he was facing, and it won't become a regular problem all year like it was with Sherron.

drnater 3 years ago

Its because Coach Self told him to.

Michael Luby 3 years ago

yah, Sherron had multiple times during the two seasons he was the leader, the go to guy, where he did not convert, did not dish to open team mates, drove into the lane with 3 bigs right at him. Hope Tyshawn doesnt think he needs to do that too.

fansincewilt 3 years ago

How does one team get all that talent? Fortunately, there is only one team in the nation that has five or six of the top players in the country. Kentucky will have to have a major off night to lose a game this year. Our guys were helpless. You can talk and talk but there was nothing they could do. We did attack a few times and made them pay but they quickly adjusted to that with their skills. Doron Lamb was correct: they certainly made a statement. I just don't understand how one team could have all that talent. All Calipari is doing is trying to distract everyone from just how much talent is on that team.

jiminycricket 3 years ago

Playing hard and playing hard as a team are two differnet things. I have no doubt that TRob And TTay played hard, as did almost all the players. Yet, this is a team game, and the showcase here was not individual talent, but team talent. They forgot that, and consequently forgot how to win a game like this.\

My grading, based on what I anticipated, and what I got......

Withey.........A Wesley........B+ TRob...........B- Johnson......C+ Teahan.......C Releford......C Taylor..........C Tharp..........D

fu7il3 3 years ago

Taylor forces way too many shots attempting to draw fouls. He is the point guard. Would it kill him to penetrate and then kick the ball out to an open guy instead of just tossing it up there? Same thing with Robinson and Withey. If there are three guys on you, that means two of ours are unguarded.

drnater 3 years ago

Its because Coach Self told them to spread out and let Tyshawn drive, nothing else was working, but he got to the line more times than not, and made his free throws. Thats just as good as making the shot.

jiminycricket 3 years ago

I find it interesting that TTay did so well when coach let him do what he wanted to do all game and was getting his shot blocked because there was too many bodies in the lane. I wonder if he'd give the same response to the coach telling him to control the tempo, or set up the other players on the team? How the other players reacted to opening up the lane for TTay's drives was obvious in the fact that although TTay picked up fouls, he didn't pick up any assists.

REHawk 3 years ago

jiminycricket, your grading analysis is right on. Precisely how I would have graded our guys, based on how I view individual potential at this stage of the season.

REHawk 3 years ago

If Jeff Withey stays healthy and free of injury this season, he is going to be a real force by March. By next season, another 10 pounds should help him substantially. Most of us had entered this season with fingers crossed, hoping that he would show up as a contributing factor. I like what Jeff has shown, to date.

John Randall 3 years ago

The best thing about Jeff this season is having him show us - some fire in the belly - the first signs of some confidence - better position and movement - overall court awareness He has finally reached a level where his improvement is noticeable and teammates trust and support his contribution.

Keeping things on this upward trajectory makes me believe he will become more and more of a 'force' through the season.

Mark Lindrud 3 years ago

I would agree and say he needs to know when to pass the ball. I saw a lot of dribbling without purpose when he needs to find his teammates. I think with more time on the court he will improve and get more comfortable with what he is doing. If he can just take the pressure off TRob, get rebounds and block shots then he will be fine. Oh, and please improve that horrendous free throw shooting lol.

Mike Barnhart 3 years ago

What!!!!! Tyshawn!!!! You're nuts!

Taylor is the biggest problem with this team. In four years his sole improvement is a reduction in charging fouls. Not because he stopped driving-in totally out of control. He still does that nine times a game but now instead of charging, he leans back and cranks up a one armed whirly gig that never draws iron!

Is he a scorer? Nope! Is he a creator? Nope! Is he ever willing to pass to an open man in transition? No freaking way!

This dude must have dirt on Coach Self. Pictures, secret tapes, hostages, I'm not sure but I am sure he's hurting our program!

Mark Lindrud 3 years ago

I would agree, but not as harshly. My biggest issue is I feel he hasn't improved as much as I would have hoped. No one seems to mention that he is a senior getting suspended for preseason games. I know they don't matter, but it shows me he isn't maturing and may not be the leader we hoped. I still have yet to see a consistent outside shot from him.

Ron Franklin 3 years ago

I sure missed Brady & Tyrel last night. At least they could do something as simple as spread the floor out and reverse the ball until somebody was open for a good look. I've never seen so much sticky hand syndrome. TReleford is the worst. I think we see why he could never quite beat anybody out for the three spot. He is a shoot first, pass second player. That does not work in this offensive scheme.

TRob has no offensive skills. His best offensive move is a putback from a rebound. He has a decent drop step and can go up with authority, but that's it. He can't make anything outside 5 feet--and that includes a free throw. TRob needs a slight attitude adjustment--return from Morrisville please, TRob.

Withey impressed. He needed a huge game for KU to stay in it. I'll admit, I did expect just little more in the offensive categories. He cannot put that rock on the floor when he is already in the paint--just go up and sky hook Withey. No dribbling.

EJ disappointed me the most. He wasn't aggressive enough and didn't play hard enough when the ball wasn't in his hands.

As a team they need to play better without the ball in their hands.

I love Connor's stroke, but we saw this same thing two years ago. He was on fire from downtown, but when the real competition came to town, he wasn't able to maintain the high level output. Nice guy I'm sure, but two slow-footed to compete with the best. He cannot create his own shot, nor does he create for anybody else.

Taylor=Taylor. We all know what we have with him, dont we??

Naadir had a few good moves to get a step on his man--but then didn't do anything good with the opportunity. He'll learn. I have really high expectations for Naair.

I wish Self would leave Wesley & YOung on the court a little more for Teahan--I think by March they'll be more capable of helping KU win than Teahan.

By the way, did I mention that I miss Brady & Reed? It's something else to see how much ball movement can do for a team game.

Next--Get GTown

Steve Kubler 3 years ago

Teahan rushed a few shots after making the first two. Partly that was the D and partly that was an inexperienced player. He settled down later in the game it appeared and I wish he would have gotten the ball more at that point. Admittedly he should not be our leading scorer but we need that three threat on the floor just to keep the D honest and I think CT can handle that role over time. Not sure why Young wasn't our there more I would have thought this was his kind of game.

As mentioned earlier the main problem was in the sticky hand syndrome that kept kicking in. A dozen times or more we had an open player on the wing that never saw the ball. I do not mean late in the game when HCBS had them driving at every opportunity to create fouls. By the way many are blaming TT for that and Self has explained he told them to play that way so back off TT for now on that point.

Best way to keep the D from crashing the paint is hitting the open wing and letting them take the open shots. That creates space underneath for the big boys.

Jeremy Wilhelm 3 years ago

I don't know that those two would have fared better against what was a pretty high energy UK D. They were getting into passing lanes and harassing the ball handler constantly. Brady and Tyrel would have had trouble too. The only thing I think might be on your side of the argument is the fact that Brady and Tyrel might have been more inclined to continue running the offense in the face of the tough D... you can break down great, athletic D with good ball movement, especially if it isn't disciplined D (and UK was not very disciplined IMHO), but KU went away from their bread and butter.

Robert Brock 3 years ago

Calipari's evaluation and strategy against Taylor was perfect: leave TT alone on the perimeter and just let him shoot. It worked for Northern Iowa; it worked for Kentucky.

MIZNIT 3 years ago

Couldn't have said it better. His game has somehow regressed in these last 4 years. I was more disappointed in Johnson though. As he goes this year, so does KU.

jayhawker97 3 years ago

"TT was a disaster!"

this sums it all up.

TT < Tharpe < EJ

AsadZ 3 years ago

I was at game last night. Firstly it was great to see so many KU fans in the garden, Jayhawks were very well represented.

I disagree with comments on TT. TT had a great game. He was our best player. He did exactly what coach asked him to do in 2nd half when we we had virtually no other offense, ball was not moving much. So Coach knew that only way to get going is to have drive TT drive in the lane. He missed several of them due to UK's length however he did make most of his FTs in 2nd half. That's pretty good.

On the other hand Travis and EJ had a rough game. EJ had decent 1st half but bad 2nd half. Our perimeter defense was bad due to UKs excellent ball movement.

The game was close in 1st half as UK was tight and had lot of TOs, and our guys played with enerrgy. UK dominated from get go in 2nd half and we got exposed.

Manning should show T-Rob game film on Aldrich on how he used to handle double teams and kick out. T-Rob is forcing the issue and as such losing his game.

I do agree that Withey had a god game especially on D. If he can just control a little bit on Offense he can be solid

Our transition defense was bad as well. This can be coached however. One other issue I am seeing from from our bigs has to do with outlet passes. They should watch file and learn from Aldrich how he used to thrown out bombs as soon as he would get the rebound resulting in quick points.

I did not expect us to win. Close first half was due to UK TOs but once they got going we saw what was expected. It could have been better if EJ and TRavis had played better. Good thing is that all areas that got exposed can be corrected with practice and watching a of of tape.

jiminycricket 3 years ago

Conner Teahan may be the best catch and shoot, feet set, three point shooter in the country. He's not the best create his own shot, off the dribble. three pointer shooter. Confidence is a big key, and last night fumbling the ball out of bounds, and the turnover driving the baseline created the chink in the armor, that in my opinion caused the subsequent misses. For Conner Teahan, against a man to man defense, there are two ways to get the ball in the right position to shoot the three. First.....have your man double team someone. Second, set/recieve a good pick. Of course, the one caveat to this is that your teammates gotta recognize the need to get you the ball.

Tony Bandle 3 years ago

whoa there jiminycricket...I love the Hawks and Conner as much as anyone but he wasn't even the best shooter on that court last night much less the country [see Doron Lamb]

Still, I think your analysis is sound...especially the part about actually getting the ball!!!

Conner needs to not only build confidence in himself but in his teammates to trust him to know that he will successfully finish from trois terrains pointe de.

Rock_Chalk_25 3 years ago

I'm pretty divided when it comes to selecting the best KU player on the floor last night. Davis, Lamb, and Jones all outplayed our "best" player, whoever it may have been...

I would say TRob, even though he fouled out and didn't shoot particularly well. He bossed Jones around inside all game and the only points Terrence scored against him were a result of TRob's timid play due to foul trouble. Thomas had some killer drives to the hoop and showed he is the top rebounder in the country, but his decision making needs some polishing (as does our whole team).

Tyshawn was too reckless to be considered for the top spot, even though I liked his aggressiveness in the 2nd half when he realized everyone else was too scared to make a play. I feel like he came into the game thinking facilitate but UK's athleticism surprised and sped our whole squad even though we have heard about it for months now. But it's different preparing for Anthony Davis and then facing him on the court. The only thing longer than his wingspan may be his unibrow.

Withey played a really solid game in my opinion. If he can develop a back to the basket game he will be a force. Holding your own against that competition makes me feel a lot better about our inside game this year. Wesley impressed as well.

Elijah had a so-so game. He was too content to launch from deep and should've tried getting to the rim using the bounce. How sweet was his hesitation move and lay-up off the glass? It makes me wonder why he isn't going to average 15ppg this year. Then again, he was a victim of one of The Unibrow's blocks early in the game so it probably influenced his willingness to enter the paint again.

I know it seems crazy to suggest after two games...but I'm going to do it anyways. Would it make sense to have Tyshawn bring the ball up the court but have Elijah run the show on offense once it gets past halfcourt? I'm not saying as soon as we cross Elijah needs to go grab it, just that he will be the player running the show when the shot clock starts winding down, when Self calls out a certain play, etc. It seems Tyshawn plays better not thinking (not a compliment) and Elijah seems to have a pretty good basketball IQ...any thoughts?

KGphoto 3 years ago

Saying that Taylor didn't have any turnovers is fine, but all those drives to the lane produced exactly one (1) made shot, and that was a lucky bounce. The rest were missed or blocked. He produced some foul shots, but most of those foul shots came after the game had been decided.

Pretty sure you're picking TT because he was your Hawk to Rock, and much like ahperse, you love to say "I told you so". Hey, it's your show so okay, but this is my post so...

Withey had a much greater impact on the game. Kentucky had little success in the paint as long as Withey was in.

Robinson faced double and triple teams the entire game against two and three of the best players in the country, and still posted decent numbers. He intimidated and frustrated Jones to the point of causing him to soccer-flop over a rebound with 6:00 to go. (I loved this by the way. Mr. Z gives Jones a walk-over teabag, then Jones waits for three Wildcats to jump in front of him before he clinches his fists like he was ready to throw down. Then, when Mr. Z and Jones are actually face-to-face for a moment with nobody to block them from going at it, Jones turns away and pretends to hold back his own teammates. What a joke. Deep down he knew Thomas was badder than him. He didn't want any of it.)

I look at it like this. Rank these guys in order of how we would have fared without them. The #1 guy should be the guy we could least afford to be missing for the game.

1 Mr. Zero: Without his muscle and fight Kentucky would have pushed us around in the paint and walked away in the first half. For the most part he owned Jones and Davis in the battle of the bigs.

2 Withey: Much like Mr. Z, his inside presence guarding the paint kept Kentucky out of it for most of the game.

3 Wesley: Same tune. Guarded Kentucky's best player very well, very tough.

4 E.J: Had some nice passes and played better fundamental ball than any other guard.

5 Taylor: Great free throw percentage and kept my hopes alive going into the final minutes, but too little, too late. His inability to finish a drive is going to haunt KU if he doesn't fix it. He can't run KU's "stuff" and he can't run the break, and he loses his dribble when he gets "tricky", which is too often. One turnover was saved by Z after he lost it going behind his back, another he had to dive on himself. He's a T.O. machine, and got lucky.

6 007: If he would've hit two more of his open threes he would've jumped Taylor, he played pretty good defense but lacked the clutch gene, and whiffed on an easy pass, handing over even more crucial momentum to Sucky.

7 Young: He played 2 minutes and beat out two Jayhawks by not totally screwing up. If he would've gotten half of Releford's and half of Conner's minutes he might have been ranked #5 or higher, and KU might have won. Two rebounds in two minutes. He gets himself in better positions to make plays than either Conner or Relaford.

8-9 Pick'em: Releford and Tharp were not good.

Mark Lindrud 3 years ago

Only thing I will add is Releford had a few nice drives to the basket, but otherwise I completely agree TT is ranked too high, but then again Keegan is well, Keegan. He was probably on his 20th donut of the morning while writing this.

Sam Constance 3 years ago

If I read one more idiot talk about how all of Tyshawn's production came "after the game was over"...

Since when is any basketball game--even one where our favorite team looked lost for most of the second half--over with 5 minutes or more to play? What in the everloving hell are you people talking about? This is KANSAS BASKETBALL. If we had been able to get a stop or three in the final ten minutes of the game, the leadership Tyshawn showed on the offensive side of the floor might have been worth something. Regardless, discounting it as irrelevant, "garbage time" production is just foolish.

I know Tyshawn can be kind of a bonehead at times, but he isn't deserving of the levels of criticism that KU fans have heaped on his back. For example, the fact that so many are saying that HE lost this game for us. Um, WHAT!? He made some mistakes early on (as did everyone), but this game was lost by the afore mentioned "sticky-hand syndrome" and the fact that almost everyone shrunk back into their shells in the second half.

Self saw it plain as day--all the players who had previously been off the bench energy guys who were only counted on for short bursts and could be easily removed if they weren't up to the task have now become depended-upon roleplayers. Compound that shift of role with the bright lights of MSG, the presence of 3 other elite basketball programs, and a matchup between the two winningest programs in college basketball, and it's recipe for a deer-in-headlights souffle (sp?)

That's why he handed the keys to Tyshawn and said "show these kids how to stay aggressive, fight to the end and not be intimidated by these types of athletes". Tyshawn promptly went out and played fearlessly.

He needs to be better if KU is going to go anywhere this season, but I cannot understand the constant dogpiling on the kid.

txjhawk77 3 years ago

marchphog88 (anonymous) says… "I know Tyshawn can be kind of a bonehead at times."

Put a period (.) after that. There is no "but" that follows and "at times" is more often than not. What I saw in Tyshawn affected the rest of the team. Everyone wanted their own ball. Playground basketball at its best (or worst)! The ball was stuck in hands instead of being passed around and then some lame one on one move. You do it enough times and you get to the line. So what! That doesn't make you good. That doesn't make you a leader. What this team needs is a leader and after four years it's safe to say that "Tyshawn is NOT that leader."

John Randall 3 years ago

Your spelling wasn't wrong, just ambiguous. You need the diacritic to distinguish between: souffle • low murmuring or blowing sound heard through a stethoscope. soufflé • any of various light dishes made with beaten egg whites.

I'm assuming your intent had to do playing like we were whipped.

fancy80 3 years ago

Here we go again... Last year it was either blame everything on Tyshawn or the Morris twins. This year I guess it will just be Tyshawn.

Didn't sound to me like Coach was upset with TT, but of course all you living room coaches know way more than HCBS, right?