Frank Mason latest to market KU basketball with dunk

It certainly doesn’t rank in the top five of reasons the Kansas basketball program is the No. 1 choice of so many elite athletes, but the lob play might just be the most subtle factor that never is discussed.

Basketball prospects watch SportsCenter highlights. So often they feature a player on the run tossing a pass to a teammate who soars above the rim and flushes it. Typically, that is followed by a crowd shot of students going wild. What better way to market a basketball team and its wild atmosphere? Fun games in which to play and attend.

Most of the highlights from Tuesday night’s victory against Iona College came from players in the 5-foot-something/7-foot category.

The best in the former category involved Naadir Tharpe setting up Frank Mason, the two shortest players on the team playing so fast.

The highlight of Mason throwing down Tharpe’s lob might have taken the television audience by surprise, but nobody in the program was shocked.

“We watch him in practice,” coach Bill Self said of Mason. “That would have surprised us if he didn’t dunk.”

Kansas had seven dunks against Iona, which did not have any. KU leads opponents, 14-4, in dunks three games into the season. The totals: Andrew Wiggins (7), Joel Embiid (4), Perry Ellis (1), Mason (1), Jamari Traylor (1).

;

Comments

Steve Zimmerman 9 months, 1 week ago

What I want to see is short-distance lob-pass ala CP to Griffin kind of thing. We are very capable doing it and there are so many opportunities guys should've done that in the games. Pass a short lob while penetrating. Embiid is there, Ellis, Drew, Black, all should be ready their knees to take off. Not sure about Traylor though. He's too busy doing screening.

Brett McCabe 9 months, 1 week ago

I always thought that the Morris twins could have fed each other quite frequently for short-lob dunks.

Mick Allen 9 months, 1 week ago

Quite often moving screens. I question his understanding of the game more so than any one else on the squad.

Joe Ross 9 months, 1 week ago

The Championship team of '07 and '08 stands out in my mind for its defensive prowess, its ability to play in transition, and its high-flying act in playing above the rim. That team was the Kansas version of Dunk City. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7qPTY...

Tim Powlas 9 months, 1 week ago

After the Duke and Iona Games, I think the Offense flows more smoothly when both Mason and Tharpe are in the game. And it is really fun to watch the whole group run when it is Eliis, Wiggins, Seldon, Tharpe and Mason playing. I think a 2-3 minute stretch when any of the opposing guards get into foul trouble and have to sit could really blow games open when we need to create some distance. Then again, there is also a good reason I am not a coach or a paid analyst, so I accept that I could be very wrong about this.

Lance Cheney 9 months, 1 week ago

Thanks Tom for posting this. I couldn't find it after the game, after hearing about it (again, I was unable to watch the game...).