Saturday, November 18, 2017

Keegan

Tom Keegan: Heisman favorite Baker Mayfield’s right hand at center of two controversies

Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield (6) throws over Kansas linebacker Osaze Ogbebor (31) during the third quarter on Saturday, Nov. 18, 2017 at Memorial Stadium.

When the best football team in the Big 12 meets the worst, the last thing anyone expects is a memorable game that grabs national attention. Yet that’s exactly what happened Saturday at Memorial Stadium, and for all the wrong reasons.

The score fell right where the oddsmakers projected. Oklahoma clobbered Kansas, 41-3.

The departures came during the pregame and in-game, low-class antics by players from both sides.

The Kansas captains started it by leaving Mayfield’s handshake offer suspended in the air. KU captains Dorance Armstrong, Joe Dineen and Daniel Wise stared at the ground, hands behind their backs.

Mayfield said, “So that’s how it’s going to be? OK, then that’s how it’s going to be.”

At that point, the referee asked Mayfield for a coin-toss call, to which the quarterback said, “I don’t care ... heads.”

The fact that the Kansas captains felt doing something that unconventional in premeditated fashion in the area of sportsmanship without fearing consequences from their head coach is not a good look for David Beaty, whose team has not played disciplined football all year long and is 1-10, giving him a 3-32 career record. If the captains had thought about that, maybe they wouldn’t have done it.

It wasn’t the day’s only evidence of an undisciplined program.

Late in the first half, cornerback Hasan Defense gift-wrapped 25 yards of the Sooners’ three-play, 84-yard, 40-second drive capped by Mayfield’s 24-yard touchdown pass to Marquise Brown. Defense threw his shoulder into Mayfield a few steps after the quarterback threw a pass and was lucky he didn’t get ejected for targeting. The late-hit flag marched the ball 15 yards forward and Defense was flagged 10 yards for holding on the next play. Defense chastised himself for the first play, calling it “boneheaded.”

Mayfield, the Heisman Trophy favorite, took the game to a new low in the third quarter, shortly after his 3-yard touchdown pass to tight end Mark Andrews put OU up 28-3. He grabbed his crotch and whistled F-bombs across the field at someone on the KU sideline. Afterward, he wouldn’t say at whom his words were aimed and he apologized over and over for the gesture.

At an earlier point in the game, Mayfield turned toward the stands and responded to hecklers by saying, "Y'all's school has one win. Go cheer on basketball."

OU coach Lincoln Riley addressed the evening’s incidents without being asked and made sure to put Mayfield in front of the firing squad of interrogators as well. Mayfield had no choice in the matter.

Dineen met with the media, but Armstrong and Wise did not, a stark departure from the team’s two best players’ normal routine.

Riley, 34, is young for someone coaching a national powerhouse, but he didn’t sound it or seem it by the way he tackled Mayfield’s embarrassing maneuver during a strange game.

“Just so we get out in front of it here, I was made aware after the game of the situation with Baker talking and gesturing toward them,” Riley said. “It was a chippy game, and it was chippy from the second that their guys decided they didn’t want to shake our hands at the coin toss. The chippiness started there. But despite all that, there’s no excuse for it. Baker is a competitive guy and let the emotions get the best of him. But again, a very, very chippy, emotional game. But again, we can’t have that and he can’t do that.”

As Hesiman-hopeful personalities go, Mayfield leans closer to the Johnny Manziel, brash, emotional type, than to the classy, cerebral Robert Griffin III type.

Yet, whereas Manziel’s not one to apologize, Mayfield sincerely seemed embarrassed, even if many of his words came across as rehearsed.

“I’m not trying to play this ego of being a bad kid,” Mayfield said when speaking more off the cuff. “That’s not who I am. I’m not someone who’s always going to get in trouble. I’ve had one instance off the field where I’ve had a mistake. On the field, I’m a competitive guy. There’s a lot of trash talk that goes on and today I just took it too far and that’s unacceptable.”

Riley said he would have to see a replay of Mayfield’s, ahem, gesture before deciding whether he would discipline college football's most compelling character.

More news and notes from Kansas vs. Oklahoma

Comments

Andy Tweedy 3 weeks, 4 days ago

I thought about discipline a lot today, this article makes a lot of sense to me. When Defense cheap shotted Mayfield, I wondered if the old man in Manhattan would have had him on the next play. And of course the coin toss...you could tell they'd thought it through and it was just baffling to me that it went down that way. This team is a mess!

Barry Weiss 3 weeks, 4 days ago

totally agree. I'm not sure Beaty even gets it. His comments were to the effect that this penalty hurt our team by giving them another 15 yards. Wait coach, your player launched into the head area of a QB just standing there after the ball was out for a couple of seconds. Could have injured him and kept him out of play-offs etc. If you are trying to do things right, rethink your comments about a KU player targeting an opposing team qb so blatantly. You are a joke.

Brett McCabe 3 weeks, 4 days ago

Sorry, Mayfield gets a pass. When three so-called captains on a 1 and 9 football team do that before the game, then he pretty much has a right to reciprocate. So classless by KU football. Absolutely unacceptable. But, of course, that starts from the top when Sheahon Zenger makes the two worst football hires imaginable.

Not sure what's worse, though, the captain's doing it, or Beaty rationalizing it at the end of the game - and letting two of the guys skip the media. Never thought that I'd call KU football a cowardly program, but today it was.

Will the new hashtag be #buildingitright or #losersactinglikepussycats ?

John Fitzgerald 3 weeks, 4 days ago

Thank you, Brett. I agree 100%. I don’t care what Mayfield does I care what our guys do and they acted like a bunch of sore losers. And this is right after Girod said “we’re rebuilding the right way.” Poor sportsmanship is not the right way.

Cary Ediger 3 weeks, 4 days ago

So he has the right to grab his crotch and hurl f bombs (on ESPN) and it is ok... he "gets a pass".

What in the hell world do you live in ?

I get that you and others are upset with KU football.

What he did was and is wrong. He does not "get a pass"

Ryan Carroll 3 weeks, 4 days ago

yea he does have the right to grab his crotch and yell whatever he wants cuz there is freedom of speech and expression in this country. This is a sport where ppl go to war and you dont expect emotion? especially after 3 captains disrespect the Heisman trophy leader in front of millions during a very sacred and traditional part of the game. in the worst rivalries in sports i haven't seen such disrespect in a captains huddle. Why do u pretend like mayfield would have done that if he wasnt that heavily provoked and embarrassed on live tv at the coin flip. there was gutwrenching awkwardness during that moment. Then they went at him all game and u expect him to be a good little choir boy... cmon man let him get angry its what make sports better emotion fuels rivalries. ppl like you dont enjoy when ppl are themselves u want everyone to be politically correct cmon man... you need to grow up. you ever play pick up football or basketball worse things happen and to act like after that much disrespect it shows that mayfield had sum balls. Just shows your the type of guy who had to ask his wife if you are low energy in the bedroom. Ppl like you cant deal with adversity and crumble because you pretend the world is all dandy lions and snow flakes and i feel sorry for you. stop judging ppl for being human is all I ask because some genius gave an idiot like you a keyboard and you became a warrior

Gerry Butler 3 weeks, 4 days ago

Well there sparky you just defended KU captains in your own words - -remember you saying " freedom of expression" - - that's what they did - -they expressed themselves and their freedom thanks for help us justify part of their action idiot. KU doesn't have the right to play angry/getangry take that crap somewhere else get off me with that - you lame - and you want to talk smack to Cary lmao - -ya that's sweet idiot , - -speaking of growing up, maybe you need to take a look in the mirror but then again MAYBE NOT. - -I mean seriously you start taking shots at Cary for GOD knows what about something in the bed room? - -What the hell is that about sparky? -Do you have your own insecurity issues in the bedroom? - That little joke ha nothing to do about the game and yet you feel the need to sound - look and act like an a- - - Congradulations you succeeded , another fine point you just counter acted your self on and I quote " stop judging ppl for being human " - -Yet your judging the team Captains. - They not human? - - are you a computer Warrior? - -Umm I think not - - -I'm thinking more on the lines of a cream puff get the hell out o here with your BS

Mike Green 3 weeks, 4 days ago

1 - It's not war, they are not warriors. They are players. It is a game they are compensated for playing a game , and providing us entertainment while representing their school.

Sports are about "fire", "emotion", "passion", because they have no real consequences in life, unlike war. It is not "politically correct" to expect high profile athletes to show maturity instead of the "he dissed me" attitude that often leads to escalation.

Paul Brittain 3 weeks, 4 days ago

Freedom of expression...here we go again with this tired old discussion. Of course we all enjoy freedom of expression but as the more erudite among us know, not freedom from consequences. Mayfield is representing his university and has established a track record of being unable to put his team and his school above his juvenile emotions. The consequences are that, at a minimum, he should be judged harshly and disciplined for his inability to keep himself in check.

Aaron Paisley 3 weeks, 4 days ago

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from the consequences of choosing to exercise your right to speech.

Next time you're at your job and your boss does something you disagree with, you grab your crotch and say, "F*** you" to your boss and claim free speech. Tell us how that goes.

Aaron Paisley 3 weeks, 4 days ago

2 wrongs don't make a right. Mayfield was absolutely in the wrong for his reaction. KU was in the wrong on the coin toss and Defense cheap shorting Mayfield.

Bradley Hope 3 weeks, 4 days ago

Bad football is one thing. Bad undisciplined football is another. Beaty has shown to be a huckster who is in over his head. The fact the captains had no fear of repercussions from not shaking hands at the start of the game is amazing to me. Even Gill and Weis would have sat their rears down.

Lets put is this way. The first job of the head football coach of the University of Kansas is to not embarrass the school with the behavior of the team. Beaty has failed to clear this low bar.

Girod needs to end this nightmare.

David Kemp 3 weeks, 4 days ago

We have two teams here, one acting out beacuase they are good, on acting out because they are really bad. Each team can deal with this in their own way but I would like to see Beaty or somebody hold this accountable which it doesn’t appear will happen

Jeff Coffman 3 weeks, 4 days ago

David Beaty should be suspended for a game. Dr Zenger do your job. We have a primetime game and it starts with 2 children standing on the Jayhawk and the top team in the conference with the Heisman hopeful standing across our team, and our Captains refuse to shake his hand. The embarrassment is on the Jayhawks, I expect a suspension of David Beaty, most embarrassing thing that has happened to the Jayhawk team this year.

Greg Lux 3 weeks, 2 days ago

Jeff I have to partly agree except this has gone to far. The Kansas Football Program is the laughing stock of the nation. At the bottom of the every major conference. It's now time to accept the fact that this coach doesn't have the ability to recruit or control a program like this great university needs today and in the future. Please its past time to cut the losses and accept the fact that the AD and the football coach are not right for this university and FIRE BOTH NOW.

Dave Coen 3 weeks, 4 days ago

I didn't think Jayhawk football could sink any lower. Despite incompetent leadership, at least I believed we lost with class. Now it is apparent that we don't even lose with class with our display of poor sportsmanship in front of two young children and a national TV audience.

Brett McCabe 3 weeks, 4 days ago

My wife just ran the replay for me. I hadn't even seen the kids before. It's truly embarrassing.

Cary Ediger 3 weeks, 4 days ago

I agree, I won't allow my kids to see Baker grabbing his crotch and using the F word.

Dave Coen 3 weeks, 4 days ago

Cary, I don't condone any of the OU QB's behavior. However, I am a Jayhawk and my concern is with the sportsmanship displayed by Jayhawks.

Bryan Mohr 3 weeks, 4 days ago

A 1-9 team that can't beat a MAC team or a winless Baylor team at home decides to not shake the hand of the QB who will potentially represent the Big12 in the FBS playoff and Heisman Award. And then cheap-shot him in the shoulder. KU football is an embarrassment.

Gerry Butler 3 weeks, 4 days ago

Don't think we will have to worry about Mayfield representing the Big 12 in any FBS thank GOD. - -- TCU will have a field day with him in the championship game, - their defense is going to eat him up

Bryan Mohr 3 weeks, 4 days ago

OU beat TCU 38-20 already this year, and TCU's starting QB is questionable because of a head injury. Odds are in favor of OU. Even if OU loses, it won't change the fact that KU football is an embarrassment.

Bill Kackley 3 weeks, 4 days ago

You all are a bunch of crybabies. Get over yourselves. I'm more embarrased by the so called fans on this site than I am by the players. You all suck.

Gerry Butler 3 weeks, 4 days ago

your giving these morons credit of being fans? -- -damn bud your giving them more credit then I would. but your right about one thing they do suck

Brett McCabe 3 weeks, 4 days ago

Speaking of morons, how are those Zenger-hired coaches doing out there in the real world? Are you enjoying the outstanding play you see on the field? Is that what morons describe as good football? Is that what morons would describe as good sportsmanship?

How about ducking the media? Is that what morons would describe as cowardice?

Gerry Butler 3 weeks, 4 days ago

I knew when I posted the leader of the morons would pop his little mouth off, couldn't resist and take the bait - -how ya doing buddy? -how's business? - Since your in-employed why don't you scoot on down to the football office put your app in I'm sure they would love to see you. - I mean with all your Coaching experience and handling of these kids > I'm surprised you wasn't there at the beginning of the season lol your the true leader of these idiots - welcome. - -Knew I could count on you spewing off

Dirk Medema 3 weeks, 4 days ago

If shaking hands is so important, why weren't the other OU players doing it. I thought Baker was offering his hand to the kids, and thought it was real funny for him to get snubbed and fairly typical reaction for little kids unaccustomed to being in that situation.

It seems like the reaction here has more to do with people being frustrated with the performance of the team, and predetermined to find fault with Coach Beaty than anything else.

It also seems noteworthy that the pathetic KU D led by the worthless DC held the Heisman hopeful to one of his worst games of the year.

Brett McCabe 3 weeks, 4 days ago

Living is easy with eyes closed......misunderstanding all you see....

Lynn Stuart 3 weeks, 3 days ago

to damn funny, the defense didnt hold anyone to thier worst outing, the wind did omg

Suzi Marshall 3 weeks, 4 days ago

I don’t see how telling KU fans our football team has only has one win and to to go cheer on basketball warrants any kind of scolding. That’s been the KU thyme for the past decade.

Edward Daub 3 weeks, 4 days ago

Heisman Trophy "Sculptor" is "very busy" this morning. The left hand will still hold the football , but the right hand "stiff arm" is being relocated to the crotch area! Baker in the "Big Apple"!

Greg Guillaume 3 weeks, 4 days ago

Well, people are are least talking about Kansas football.

John Miller 3 weeks, 4 days ago

I was glad to see KU football stand up and show some fire. If Baker Mayfield gets upset about no hand shake, and one miner hit after he threw, he will have a hard time in the NFL. If that's the way you react to a one win Kansas team, just wait till the big boy's in the NFL get a hold of him. He only apologized because it was plastered all over ESPN

Gerry Butler 3 weeks, 4 days ago

Ya Mayfield really taking some hits by ESPN on this- - NFL insides saying that a QB is always in the public eye and Mayfield needs to learn how to carry himself represent himself a lot better how it might NFL Owners looking at him a little differently ahh Mayfield that's sad maybe if you tug at your crotch a little more maybe they will think again - -you got class written all over ya, nice display on National TV. These people upset about shaking your hand. You tell me which looks worse - Not shaking someone's hand on National TV OR grabbing your junk and dropping F-bombs to a national TV audience. - -People talking about there is no justifaction for what KU players did on National TV audience - -sticking up for this a - - - -tells quite abit about the people sticking up for him - -Real Class

Joe Ross 3 weeks, 4 days ago

Wasn't this the same kid that tried to plant the OU flag at the fifty yard line on Ohio State's field after the Sooners had beaten them? Let me tell you something. I don't have a problem with the flag plant or the attitude he showed vs. Kansas. People look at those things and call it bad behavior. I see it as an overflow of passion.

Kansas could use some of that itself.

Cary Ediger 3 weeks, 4 days ago

Leaders lead.

Last year Frank Mason got knocked down by Miles Bridges and Bridges said "get up boy"... KU then went on a 13-4 run. No cussing no crotch grabbing, just a 13-4 run.

Clarence Haynes 3 weeks, 4 days ago

Hawks try to be too “cute” with their play and actions! Just play solid football!

Humpy Helsel 3 weeks, 3 days ago

I am sorry. Baker Mayfield's behavior was completely unacceptable. But the Kansas players refusing to shake hands at the coin toss was total bush. I've never even heard of that. Total no class. If you need to do that to get your 1-9 team fired up, then you are failing as a coach. And he is in fact failing. I have tried to stick with this guy because the "fire and hire" options have shrunk to nothing. No name coach will come to KU. You are talking another untested assistant coach somewhere. Does anyone know if Beaty told them to refuse to shake hands or did they come up with this stupid prank on their own? I hope it was the idea of some young, dumb kids and not the coaches. Where I come from in western Kansas we like to say "let sleeping dogs lie." Our only chance for a reasonable performance outcome yesterday (not even talking about winning) was to catch OU in a "show up and get it over with mind set." Instead, we fired them up. If you don't have any bullets in your gun, don't be waving it around. Just shut up and play out this thing out and forget about this year asap. Good luck on the recruiting trail this year, Beaty. Be sure and refuse to shake the hands of your recruiting targets and their parents. Tell them it's a new thing at KU.

Randy Glenn 3 weeks, 3 days ago

Im not in favor of their actions...but does anyone know if Mayfield maybe said something during the week to get our captains fired up? It seems like they had some time to decide not to shake his hand so I was curious if he did something to start this? Defenses late hit was wrong and the payback was 2 penalties and a score.

Joe Black 3 weeks, 3 days ago

There are no accounts of Baker Mayfield doing or saying anything about the KU football team. The whole ugly matter started because of some extremely ignorant football captains that don't understand sportsmanship. Unfortunately, that is a common theme across all sports these days.

Timothy Grillot 3 weeks, 3 days ago

Watch Dineen's video. The Captains just intended to fire up their own team and did not direct it towards Mayfield. Still should have shaked hands. Even if he said something sophomoric pregame no excuse for it. No excuse for Mayfield's antics grabbing his crotch and yelling F bombs. Interesting situation. Will the Heisman voters even care? My vote is no. My take from this? If I was coach the three captains sit next game no matter how bad we get arse whooped. Probably not going to happen.

Teddy Fields 3 weeks, 3 days ago

I do not understand how some people are okay with the amount of classlessness shown by our football team yesterday. Absolutely unacceptable.

Cary Ediger 3 weeks, 3 days ago

I agree, was poor sportsmanship on not shaking hands before the game.

Bryan Mohr 3 weeks, 3 days ago

David Beaty, (1-31 vs FBS, 1-25 vs Big12). Under Zenger, (4-60 vs FBS, 3-50 vs Big12).