Friday, February 19, 2016

Report: Big 12 lagging behind SEC in revenue

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, left, and Kansas athletic director Sheahon Zenger laugh while taking reporter's questions after the first day of the conference's meeting Thursday, Feb. 4, 2016, in Irving, Texas. (AP Photo/LM Otero)

According to a CBS Sports report, Big 12 schools are starting to lag behind their SEC counterparts in payouts.

For 2014-15, full-sharing schools — those who have been in the conference the longest, such as Kansas University — received an average of $23.3 million. CBS Sports reported that number was $9.4 million less than SEC institutions received.

That gap stands out because in 2012-13, the Big 12 distributed $20.9 million, compared to the SEC’s $20.8 million.

CBS Sports’ Jon Solomon reports the emergence of the SEC Network and the new College Football Playoff gave the SEC its newly found financial advantage.

In 2014-15, according to the report, Texas earned approximately $15 million from its Longhorn Network, while KU received more than $6 million with its local broadcast deal. Kansas State also got about $4 million from third-tier rights.

In the SEC, schools have their own multi-media contracts and receive SEC Network money on top of that.

Oklahoma president David Boren told The Oklahoman the Big 12 this summer needs to reach decisions on expansion, a conference championship game for football and whether to start a television network comparable to what the SEC and Big Ten have.

CBS Sports reported each school in the Big 12 received about $23 million last year, except for the newest conference members, TCU and West Virginia. They will reach full membership shares in 2015-16.

— Read the full CBS Sports report: Big 12 paid out $9.4 million less to schools than SEC

Comments

Pius Waldman 1 year, 8 months ago

I realize West Virginia is sorta an island to the other members. I'm wondering if connecting to states nearby would be a good addition. How about Missouri State, Colorado State or even New Mexico would be considered. Yes they aren't competing now but with Big 12 membership would be able to recruit better athletes. Comparison to K-State and Iowa State members now.

RJ King 1 year, 8 months ago

Big-12 membership leads to recruitment of better athletes? Tell that to our football coaches.

Michael Lorraine 1 year, 8 months ago

There's not much left but Missouri State? I'd say Cincinnati, Memphis or Connecticut.

Marius Rowlanski 1 year, 8 months ago

I thought we had Louisville ready to jump nand Memphis the next logical choice. Didn't happen and I've heard Texas nixed the deal. Texas has far too much say in additions to the conference but would the BIG 12 survive losing Texas?

Austin Lopez 1 year, 8 months ago

I would love a Big 12 Network honestly, thought the Big 12 would of already had one by now.....

Gerry Butler 1 year, 8 months ago

I think you are quite possibly right my man. I feel that the Big 12 is right on the verge of no more with this news. We either expand which I feel we have no choice and create a network or we are done plain and simple OR we break off and join another league. Either way something is coming this Summer

Doug Wallace 1 year, 8 months ago

HELL NO! I do not want to trade a tyrant bully thug in Austin,Texas, to jerkoff tyrants in Columbus,Ohio, Ann, Arbor or Lansing, Michigan. No thanks plus we would have to be on probation for god knows how long. That is why Misery did not join them.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 8 months ago

This summer will be contentious when the Big 12 meets. The Longhorn Network at the expense of a Big 12 network needs to be reconciled. We can't have a Texas Longhorn and the 9 little sisters league, in terms of revenues.

Answer in the back of the book...The Big 12 will expand adding University of Houston and one other. The Big 12 will as a Big 12 Network.

Marius Rowlanski 1 year, 8 months ago

Exactly...would have brought the Texass Network up if you hadn't. Not sure about Houston though. We need some teams with different demographics than another Texas school.

Robert Lofthouse 1 year, 8 months ago

Cincinnati - Pittsburgh - Temple - Dayton - Providence :: get some northeast/east coast interest/money :: give WVU a traveling break, bring KU and Oklahoma to The East

Dale Stringer 1 year, 8 months ago

Two more schools would be great. I would want to divisions, but not, north-south or east-west. I think it would be cool for the two schools with the worst combined record (of all the sports that all schools compete in), to draft what school they want in their division for the next 4 years. And do it again every four years. Sell the TV rights to one of the networks too. Football would have two home & away in-division games and one home & away of-of-division games in that four years. Basketball would double those numbers.

Doug Wallace 1 year, 8 months ago

You know enough of this B.S.

Ive had it with the Big 12.They could screw up a cup of coffee and they could even screw up a lemonade stand.I have had it with Bowlsby and the corrupt and incompetent leaderships here. And NO MATTER HOW MUCH Zenger and Self try to feed us this crock that the Big 12 is so awesome, we are doing so good, and less is more bull.We see right through it! Things are not getting better.We have never recovered from the 4 teams we lost and never will.Do Not try to tell me Lame ass WVU or TCU Will ever replace NU,CU,T A&M, or even MU.How many times are we going to get kicked and punched in the gut and teeth from Texass Shorthorns.That includes all the 9 teams here.No wonder people want the hell out.This is the SWC or Big Least Part 2!

Texass I think one day will bolt for the ACC since the Pac, SEc and B1G have told them NO and No to THE LHN! They will go to the ACC Soon! http://louisvillesportslive.net/how-can-the-acc-maximize-its-value-lure-texas-with-a-notre-dame-deal/

Christmas is far and way over but if there ever was a belated Christmas gift or even a belated Valentines Day gift we could have it be getting into the Pac-12 along with 4 other teams from the Big 12 KSU, OU,OSU, and T Tech.Just think of the recruiting potential of Texas and California.You may add 3 other teams to make it a 20 team Super Conference.Hey the.Pac 12 has a network unlike us.Pac-12 treats everyone like equals.

Hell the SEC does that no wonder Misery and Texas A&M are so happy.Colorado has not won alot but they get equal revenue and respect.Same goes for Nebraska.

I also hope ISU gets a Big 10 invite also.The rest of them I Do not care about.

I have had it with Texas and the Longhorn Network B.S.

I WANT OUT!

Please Pac-12 take us and the other 4 teams I mentioned with you and take us away from this B.S.

Buck Bukaty 1 year, 8 months ago

When I hear of some of the school names bandied about to join us I regress to another mood of "What's this world coming to?". Before any of them are approached I would hope the powers to be first would inquire of Colorado, Nebraska, and A&M would be interested in rejoining us. Yeah, yeah, yeah.....likely not, but worst they can say is no.

Michael Lorraine 1 year, 8 months ago

Would be like asking your ex who dumped you if you want to get back together. The only possible way they would even consider it is if we kicked UT out of the conference.

Doug Wallace 1 year, 8 months ago

Them teams are never coming back even if UT leaves! They got it so good where they are why would they want to come back? For example what for to come back to the rugged individual your on your own B.S.when it comes to tv coverage and no TV Network NAH I THINK NOT!

Maria Ungaro 1 year, 8 months ago

Mr. David Borem, thank you and yes we feel your frustration. The Big 12 will not exist beyond 2016 without expansion, conference championship game, & Big 12 network.

I would vote to add Cinncinnati and UCONN. Memphis, UH, & New Mexico all possibilities.

The Big 10 would be perfect fit for both KU football & basketball programs. KU and Either Iowa St or WVU should get the offer.

OU & Ok ST - Sec, UT & TTU - Pac 12. KSU, TCU, & BU - Mountain West.

Time to make a move or Move on. I agree the current state of the Big 12 is falling behind the SEC.

Doug Wallace 1 year, 8 months ago

Nah why dont all 5 of us (KU KSU OU OSU TT) put our heads together and put the wgos aside, and all join the Pac-12.The Big 10 is just as bad with Ohio State.They act just like Texas up there and have the ego and practically win all the time.

Michael Lorraine 1 year, 8 months ago

If it's going to be four 16 team conferences, what's taking so long. Divvy them up already.