Monday, February 1, 2016

KU falls to No. 7 in AP poll; Jayhawks take over longest active Top 25 streak from Duke

Kansas guard Wayne Selden Jr. (1) delivers a dunk against Kentucky during the first half, Saturday, Jan. 30, 2016 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University now has the longest run of appearances in the Associated Press Top 25 men's basketball poll after Duke fell out for the first time in more than eight years.

The Jayhawks (17-4) fell from No. 4 to No. 7 in the poll that was released Monday.

Duke (15-6) has lost four of its last five, including home games with Notre Dame and Syracuse. Last week's loss to Miami knocked them out from 24th, ending a run of 167 consecutive appearances in the men's poll. It is the first time since the preseason poll of 2007-08 that the Blue Devils are not ranked.

The Blue Devils still had a ways to go to catch UCLA, which put together a run of 221 consecutive polls from 1966-80. Kansas now has the longest run, 136 polls that began on Feb. 3, 2009, with Arizona next at 72 consecutive polls.

Staying power

Oklahoma starts its third week at No. 1, one week short of matching the longest stretch on top this season.

Michigan State held the No. 1 spot for four weeks. The other No. 1 teams this season were all there for two weeks: North Carolina, Kentucky and Kansas.

Oklahoma has been No. 1 for a total of eight weeks, tying the Sooners with St. John's and West Virginia for 27th place on the all-time list. UCLA is No. 1 among the No. 1s with 134 weeks.

Top 25

19. Louisville (17-4)
  20. Kentucky (16-5)
  21. Wichita St. (16-5)
  22. Indiana (18-4)
  23. Arizona (17-5)
  24. Dayton (18-3)
  25. South Carolina (19-2)

Others receiving votes: Saint Mary’s (Cal) 63, Southern Cal 40, Utah 33, VCU 33, Michigan 21, Notre Dame 21, Valparaiso 7, Duke 6, Pittsburgh 4, Florida 3, Saint Joseph’s 1, San Diego St. 1, Stony Brook 1, Texas 1.

Comments

Jay Scott 4 years, 3 months ago

Hopefully Kansas can improve on this when Bill Self is fired...........

Jimbob Walton 4 years, 3 months ago

Yeah firing the best coach in the game is a smart idea...

Tim Fields 4 years, 3 months ago

I guess we would not want Coach K to replace Coach Self because they fell out of the top 20 this week. You can probably forget Duke ever winning another National Championship with Coach K at the helm.

Rae Bricil 4 years, 3 months ago

Well, Turgeon does have his team up to #4 so there is room for improvement--just saying...

Jay Scott 4 years, 3 months ago

He's won what exactly? One MVC title and one Sweet Sixteen.

Wow. Let's grab him and dump the guy with eleven Big12, two B1G and a WAC title, five Elite8's 2 Final Fours and a NC.......

At least Turg is younger, by a whole 3 years...

Jimbob Walton 4 years, 3 months ago

Keep Strappin Jay...fools can't hang Im telling ya!

Rae Bricil 4 years, 3 months ago

Bryce Landon 4 years, 3 months ago

And stop the other team from getting the ball through the hoop.

Jay Scott 4 years, 3 months ago

Another kook Chicken Little..........

"I wasn't implying he should be fired only that there are options out there"

Those two statements are inherently contradictory. You're arguing with yourself now. Chicken Littles always do.

What have you done lately? 11 Conference titles, 3 McD All Americans recruited in the last year, the number 1 and 3 draft pick two years ago. A sold out building every games and one of the highest sport revenues in NCAA.......

Rae Bricil 4 years, 3 months ago

No actually I am not arguing with myself I was giving you a possible improvement. You stated that "Hopefully Kansas can improve on this when Bill Self is fired". I never implied he should be fired you did. I only gave an option if he were fired and added there was room for improvement based on ranking. Which, in fact, was meant to be sarcasm and I mistakenly thought was clear since to actually say one coach is better than another based on a weekly AP poll is absurd but I guess it was not.

Please let me know if there is any else I can help clear up.

Best,

Rae

Jay Scott 4 years, 3 months ago

You're backpedaling from this. "I wasn't implying he should be fired only that there are options out there--everybody is replacable. Also, if past success is the only determinant when deciding upon someone staying or going a lot of coaches would never be replaced. Point being that Bill Self is not the coach he was in 2008--I am not saying this is good or bad only that you cannot judge a person's current state solely on past accomplishments. We live in a what have you done for me lately society and even more so when you are the highest paid person in the state bringing in over $50M to get young men to get a ball through a hoop."

Would you like an ROI breakdown on the revenue the State gets for the salary Coach Self is paid?

Jay.

Justin Ward 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm Jay Scott. All I do everyday with my life is argue with fans on the KU boards I usually don't make any sense but continue to keep posting anyways Please don't be like me Please help me Don't be like me Jay Scott

Jay Scott 4 years, 3 months ago

Not smart enough to actually address any of the basketball ideas here Justin?

Justin Ward 4 years, 3 months ago

lol na, addressing basketball ideas with someone that doesn't fully understand is a waste of my time.

Jay Scott 4 years, 3 months ago

Justin! Show us how easily you can flex your mental superiority! Pick anything and form a valid counter to it. It should be so simple for a powerful mind like yours. You can do it! Surely infantile insults aren't your only offering?

Justin Ward 4 years, 3 months ago

You're so crafty with your trolls it's impressive, but you're transparent to me. Those simple minded words do not work with me because in fact, I am a better troll. gg.

Jay Scott 4 years, 3 months ago

Its nice that you admit you're a troII. It seems that will be the pinnacle of your contributions here.

Justin Ward 4 years, 3 months ago

Oh I am a troll, and so are you. Difference between you and I is that I see there is nothing good to come from bashing people that support the same team as I do. Their ideas and logic may not always make sense but you go about it the wrong way. You're like an arrogant idiot, which is kinda contradicting. This whole board is mostly based on opinions, are we all know opinions are opinions for a reason. Sit back, relax and enjoy the people around you for once instead of being a complete fool all the time. Wishful thinking, you'll be you.

Rae Bricil 4 years, 3 months ago

I am not back backpedaling from anything. The concept and underlying logic you are failing to see is the difference between should and if. I never advocated should I was only discussing if.

Also, yeah I would like to see the ROI. And then I would like you to show me what portion is directly attributable to Self's action. I would guess that it would be almost impossible to separate to two.

KU basketball is an institution that has stood long before Self and will stand long after. Also, I remember a few sellouts before Self came--you make it sound like he brought the program back from the ashes.

Jay Scott 4 years, 3 months ago

"And then I would like you to show me what portion is directly attributable to Self's action I would guess that it would be almost impossible to separate to two."

Head coaches have nothing to do with the financial success of their program? Rae. You just disqualified yourself from further discussion. That's idiotic

Rae Bricil 4 years, 3 months ago

This will be my last post to you as so many others have probably done as well.

To say that head coaches have nothing to do with the financial success of the institution they represent is asinine. They do have a huge impact on revenue generated. Their action on and off court directly affects the financial health of an institution. I was simply asking if you could differentiate the revenues generated by the University to those that occurred simply bc it is Kansas and those that Self brought it.

You get flustered and insult people on a personal level. it is really not very becoming or a desirable trait for humans.

Jay Scott 4 years, 3 months ago

You're arguing with yourself again Rae. Adios.

Tim Gershon 4 years, 3 months ago

Jay I agree with you 100% that people overreact on Bill Self. The man is a legend. I also think you are the most annoying person on earth to ever grace a message board. It used to be Rodney and then something happened and he came back less defensive and argumentative and now posts great insights. If I have to read Chicken Little one more time, I'm going to throw my computer out the #$%^&* window. I would just scroll past you, but you post so much stupid argumentative BS that it can't escape my eyeballs. Mr. Scott, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this message room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Jay Scott 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm truly sorry that you don't like having the negative nonsense of the Chicken Litlles countered with reality. It's too bad that there isn't somewhere you can go without being subjected to such.

Wait! There is! The media of any Jayhawk rival!

I'm sure that's where Rodney went. Despite your statements about his "great insights", he hasn't posted in weeks. Take up Rod's cause and mount an intelligent counter to some specific part of "the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought." No? Can't. Maybe throwing your computer out the window would be in your best interests?

Jay Scott 4 years, 3 months ago

Was that easier for you than actually taking one of those "most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard" and intelligently demonstrated why?

Yes Tim. You've proven it was. Perhaps now is a good time to throw that computer out, as you promised.

Tim Gershon 4 years, 3 months ago

If you have to ask why, you're not capable of understanding the answer. Its not in your logic, its in your delivery. Can you really not see that you've become an internet troll?

Jay Scott 4 years, 3 months ago

Bye Timmy. You've made a big enough fool of yourself. When you can discuss basketball, come back.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 3 months ago

Rodney - Were you the blogger that conceded the Gold Medal game in the middle of the 2nd half? I obviously don't pay attention though I very definitely ripped whomever it was open and down rather mercilessly for a day or so. If it was you, tip of the hat to you for reform (per Tim's analysis).

Marius Rowlanski 4 years, 3 months ago

Best predictor of future behavior is past behavior...

I wouldn't be upset if Turg got a shot if HCBS decided to leave but I'm not convinced he would be at the top of the list.

Brianna Zaleski 4 years, 3 months ago

Tim Gershon,

Standing ovation.

Sincerely,

Every KUSports poster

Jay Scott 4 years, 3 months ago

That's racist again Bri. Shame on you.

Scott Lippoldt 4 years, 3 months ago

Brianna,

I so agree with you! I teach middle school (alternative!), and my middle schoolers are way more mature and better able to carry on an intelligent conversation than Jay. It's probably the most annoying dribble I have ever read on a message board. I really don't post anymore, but I also am so sick of Jay's immaturity, Oh yea, and I can't wait for him to respond, call me names, label me a Chicken Little, and tell me how I know nothing about basketball. Like he's capable of anything else?

Jay Scott 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm actually more interested in hearing your ideas on basketball. Do you have any? How could I know what you think if you just offer insults?

Scott Lippoldt 4 years, 3 months ago

My son and I are huge Jayhawk fans--have been for years. (My last year at KU was 88.)

Although we think Bill Self has done amazing things in the past, this year we do not think he is coaching at the level he has in the past and most definitely is not using his bench effectively. I agree with many posters that Coach Self tends to tear down players before building them up, and that does not work with all players. We both think it is an absolute shame that Diallo and Bragg have not been utilized more, as their lack of playing time not only hurts the team right now and in the future, but in our humble opinions, down the line in recruiting.

I also do not understand why CS has not used Hunter Mickelson more, as I believe the results when he is on the floor far outweigh what Lucas provides. It also is extremely frustrating to see our team have to go five on four offensively, as other teams know that they don't really even have to guard Lucas or Traylor. That was so evident when Lucas was left totally alone around the foul line, had no clue what to do, finally dribbled in a few feet, and threw up a horrible shot.

I guess another frustration that i have this year is that Coach Self seems more stubborn than ever to stay with what has worked in the past. If he had used a different defense in either the Iowa State or OSU game, we very well might have had at least one more victory. And finally, I am disappointed that Self is not resting Mason more and that he allows the four main players (I think they have played 80% of the Big 12 playing minutes?) to make mistake after mistake, when other players are pulled so quickly when they make a single mistake. Along those lines, I think it is a dangerous precedent to ask those four players who should and should not be playing.

So there you are, some of my thoughts. BTW: I don't want Bill Self to leave KU, as I don't think we could find anyone better or more successful. That being said, I truly don't think he is doing his best coaching this season, and I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

And by the way, compared to all the insults you constantly throw at other posters, I thought mine toward you were fairly tame...

Jay Scott 4 years, 3 months ago

A good teacher would understand the difference between ideas directed at a comment and ideas directed at a person. Your comments were directly personal and infantile.

Justin Ward 4 years, 3 months ago

He's right though, not playing the freshman will only hurt later. He's using Lucas because he's a "solid defender" and I'm guessing he has another year with Lucas and not Mickelson. The real question is why Kansas is still playing a post oriented offense instead of a guard oriented offense. CS only a decent bench coach, Hoiberg used to eat Self's lunch on plays out of timeouts it was almost comical.

Jay Scott 4 years, 3 months ago

You know this how? What are your coaching credentials?

Justin Ward 4 years, 3 months ago

I watch the games, it's not hard to pick up on. Do you watch them?

Jay Scott 4 years, 3 months ago

Send your resume to AD Zenger. I'm sure he'll want to meet you.

Justin Ward 4 years, 3 months ago

You have no concrete ideas, just horrid trolls. I asked you a question.

Scott Lippoldt 4 years, 3 months ago

Are you replying to my original comment or to the basketball opinions that you asked me to share? And I will be a little more interested in and willing to value the thoughts on and opinions about my teaching from my past and present students as well as their parents, my colleagues, and my administrators than those from a basketball message board poster.

Jay Scott 4 years, 3 months ago

Still no example? I thought you were busy?

Barry Weiss 4 years, 3 months ago

I don't know enough about injuries behind the scenes to really comment on Coach Self's being any better or worse this year than in the past. Just too many variables. But after that position on Coach Self, I agree with much of the rest that you said.

As for the Chicken Littles, they do tend to get on my nerves. But I was starting to be one myself last week when the notion of no time for Diallo and Mickelson was floated (only 4 bigs). Then boom, Diallo goes in early against KY and I thought he did well. I got no problem with Jay (not that he or anyone here cares…lol) He just has a bit of a curt style, so what. I don't like the posts where someone starts out with how long they themselves have been a coach, watched the Jayhawks, played ball themselves…blah, blah, blah. Just post up and be prepared respond.

Jay Scott 4 years, 3 months ago

Come back if you advance to the point of discussing basketball.

Scott Lippoldt 4 years, 3 months ago

I can't believe you would post that after all the times you talk smack without discussing basketball. We're all (90+ percent?) sick of it, Jay.

Jay Scott 4 years, 3 months ago

I would hope you're better at them. Frankly you just made a fool of yourself. You showed up, made an infantile and insulting rant because you didn't like the tone of the discussion, made accusations and then refused to support them. If I was your school principal I would cringe.

Jimbob Walton 4 years, 3 months ago

Low key Jay Scott is a frat star and the dude shreds on the court Im guessin. Totally in favor of this homie. Keep muggin on these fools Jay!

Allin Herring 4 years, 3 months ago

Jay let us know when you have learned anything about basketball? We sure have not seen any wisdom yet. Just a bunch of Mary Poppins babble.

Clara Westphal 4 years, 3 months ago

KU and Bill Self are missing Danny Manning. The assistant coaches now don't seem to be much help to the team.

Scott Lippoldt 4 years, 3 months ago

I agree with you--our bigs seemed so much better when Danny was here!

Devin Hupp 4 years, 3 months ago

Might be time for a new strength and conditioning coach. Big men are missing not just Danny Manning, but they are also quite a bit softer than our big men of the past.

James Smith 4 years, 3 months ago

Psycho Racist James said this..."The cute thing about the CLs is that they can't resist responding when mocked"

He his really coming out with guns blazing now knowing that his Racist tendencies were made public on here. Sad life that he lives.

Jay Scott 4 years, 3 months ago

To all those who are so offended by the tone of the discussion that they felt compelled to offer childish insults, your hypocrisy is astoundingly amusing. Come back if you advance to the point of discussing basketball.

Jerry Walker 4 years, 3 months ago

It's also "astoundingly amusing" to see the chicken little's cry for a moderator when their inane comments are challenged. Geez, this place is turning into a girl scout troop.

Scott Lippoldt 4 years, 3 months ago

My apologies to the full message board--I am so sorry I engaged with Chicken Little!!!!! Yes, it is so much better to ignore. My bad! And go 'Hawks! :-)

Justin Ward 4 years, 3 months ago

No need to apologize, he seeks attention.

Jay Scott 4 years, 3 months ago

Still no example? How many times do you want to take a bow for adding nothing but infantile insults?

Brett McCabe 4 years, 3 months ago

Relapses happen to the best of us.

My suggestion to all who are annoyed?

Pick an annoying comment, any comment from Jay that you find ridiculous and suggest it for removal. And do it every day. Maybe the guys at KU Sports will get a clue and block this guy?

Frankly, I think that he should be kicked off the board because he has almost singlehandedly ruined it.

What's your point here?

Jay Scott 4 years, 3 months ago

Did you go to college Justin? If you did, you would understand this. The LJW wants people to spend time on their website. While you and those like you were here offering nothing or nearly nothing about basketball, you were on their website. This makes them money. Whether you show up simply to level insults as most of you have here, or you show up to attempt intelligent basketball debate, you're on the website. I'm the LJW's dream come true.

While the Chicken Littles have shown that they hate me, intelligent basketball minds find it easy to have rational exchanges with me. Either way, they're on the website.

A quick business lesson Justin.

Brett McCabe 4 years, 3 months ago

Justin, not sure if you got that. Jay doesn't approve of people who didn't go to college. Also, he's responsible for the profitability of the web-site.

Jay Scott 4 years, 3 months ago

Nothing basketball related either Brett?

Brett McCabe 4 years, 3 months ago

As much as this: Hi Brett! I'm truly sorry that you don't like your comments scrutinized. Would you like me to go through your comment history and pull out a greatest hits of your insults? Are you no better than those who come by to make insults because you think there are too many insults. What's your point here?

Jay Scott 4 years, 3 months ago

Be a big boy and read the comment it is in response to. Any suggestions on something more appropriate?

Justin Ward 4 years, 3 months ago

You want to know why Kansas doesn't land a top PG? No top Point Guard in their right mind would come to KU to play for a post driven offense. Self won't even change the offense even though KUs strength is their guards and he's openly admitted that in an interview. It's bizzare.

Jimbob Walton 4 years, 3 months ago

So what? 11 straight. Nuff said. And Bill Self doesn't want a one and done point guard...they can't handle the heat. Elijah, Sherron, Mario, Selby were all Mcdonalds all americans...Yeah no top point guards want to come play for Bill Self.

Justin Ward 4 years, 3 months ago

I said Point Guard. TRUUUEEEEEEEEEE Point Guard, those above mentioned were all combo guards, not true point. Bill likes his combos, huge mistake imo not to have a true point guard like Aaron Miles.

Damian Glaze 4 years, 3 months ago

The only thing I would say to support Self's approach to offense is you have to play the percentages. Getting shots close to the basket are a far better percentage play than perimeter shots - especially at the collegiate level. However, you don't want to discourage your shooters if they are indeed good shooters. Furthermore, the more you take it to the paint, the higher likelihood you have of getting fouled and increasing your free throws. Of course you have to make them, but free throws and racking up opposing player fouls is a pretty good strategy that almost every coach endorses.

But one thing about your comment I don't agree with is what a point guard should be. We need and the Bill Self offense needs a true point guard that is content with distributing the ball; has a desire to get 8+ assists per game; and has the ability to get you double digit points IF YOU NEED THEM. Right now we have it a little backward with "point guards" that want to score 15+ a game and a center that can't score 4 points a game. First half of the Iowa St. game we had 10 or 11 assists and we dominated them (albeit not by as much as we should have). Second half we had 3 assists and we got our ass handed to us. The more we move the ball and play for the open man the better we are. The more we go one-on-one we will allow good teams to beat us and lesser teams to stay in the game.

Jeff Coffman 4 years, 3 months ago

In his thirteenth season at KU, Head Coach Bill Self has spent all but one week in the top 25. In week four of the 2008-2009 season, the Jayhawks dropped to 26th (however, still in the Coaches' Poll). This was one week, where he returned his Jayhawks the following week. If on average there are 20 polls given a year, and we are halfway through 2015-2016, that is 1 week out of just over 250 weeks he has had an unranked Jayhawk team. Let's all go home and be thankful for Head Coach Bill Self today and through every day he still is the head coach of our beloved basketball team.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 3 months ago

That (20 polls / yr) would mean 4 more yrs and we could get UCLA.

Lloyd Kinnison 4 years, 3 months ago

Mr Scott: First your statement is without merit. Who would you replace Bill Self? Surely you have taken one drink too many.

Jay Scott 4 years, 3 months ago

Thanks you Lloyd. You're 100% correct, as was Mr. Coffman.

It was a satirical mocking (and expression of pride in the accomplishment) of those who really believe coach Self should be fired.As absurd as the notion is, there are those who believe it should happen. Intelligent people know he's among the best ever. The explosion of hate was the Chicken Littles response to such a reality.

Justin Ward 4 years, 3 months ago

Mocking yet adding no value at the same time, maybe you should just delete your account entirely?

Brett McCabe 4 years, 3 months ago

Top Jay Scott retorts:

No. 5: Send your resume to Zenger. No. 4: You shouldn't post your comments in public. No. 3: You don't know much about basketball, maybe you are good at something else? Knitting, Twirling, Acrobatic Dance (I think you get the idea) No. 2: You are making an idiot of yourself/you are arguing with yourself And..... No. 1: (C'mon, do I really have to say it?)

Bonus: All-Time Basketball Team per Jay Scott: Lon Kruger, Mitch Richmond, Steve Henson, Rolando Blackmon and Mike Evans. Yes, I know that they are all guards, but I'm confident that Jay's favorite media personality Stan Weber can explain how it would work, as long as Bill Snyder is coaching and that annoying s.o.b. Mitch Holthus is calling the game.

With that folks, I'm out. Jay has succeeded in running off another one. Believe it or not, I'm going to subscribe to the print version tonight so that I can get the smell and feel of black ink back on my hands and get the smell of crap out of my nose.

I'll miss some of you. Some of you, not so much. But to all.....Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Rock Chalk Jayhawk...KU!

Jay Scott 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm sorry that your experience dropping by to insult people wasn't more fulfilling. Maybe if you had engaged in some discussion about basketball?

Scott Lippoldt 4 years, 3 months ago

Brett, don't leave--just ignore or don't read. I know--I'm one to talk. That being said, I let it go for a long time before I felt inclined to add my two cents (probably worth less?). Anyway, with my 13-15 year-old students, I have learned that if I/we ignore their antics, which truly are just their desire for attention, they eventually stop. So, give it one more chance and instead of engaging (as I so poorly did this evening), let it go and talk with and respond to anyone else who shows intelligence and who is willing to give actual opinions rather than just attack and belittle... Just my thoughts!

Jay Scott 4 years, 3 months ago

Still no examples? Didn't you have other things to do?

So your whole premise for complaining is empty? You really only came by to level insults too? You're seemingly offended by the nature of the discussion but you can't stop coming back to fire off yet another insult. It's really spectacularly funny.

Len Shaffer 4 years, 3 months ago

Well said, Scott.

I haven't posted a single thing about Jay until now, but like apparently most of the board I'm sick of seeing his endless diatribes.

Guys, let's all ignore him and not give him a single response to anything he says. Maybe eventually he'll do us all a favor and go away.

John Randall 4 years, 3 months ago

Does no else have pity? A 1-schtick act just leaves poor little Jay with wet diapers. Sarcasm, prudently used, can keep us all from getting too full of ourselves, but as a steady diet, it demeans us all to resort to childishness in response.

Kit Duncan 4 years, 3 months ago

Jay,

You do a remarkable job of showing your love of Kansas basketball and support for the players and coaches, especially Bill Self. However, you do everyone a disservice (including yourself) by mocking and belittling anyone who disagrees with your insights or who have difficulty understanding your satirical musings.

I would strongly encourage you to maybe step back a little and consider being a bit more respectful of each poster's opinions, no matter how offbeat they may be.

It is truly possible to show one's disagreement with another poster's comments without demeaning that person publicly. Civility carries far more weight than animosity.

Please show the respect toward your fellow KU fans that Coach Cal mentioned was shown by KU fans toward UK fans in attendance the other night. What say you?

Kit,

That's a lovely notion. People who came to discuss basketball are easy to have such discussion with.

Michael Lorraine 4 years, 3 months ago

On paper 7 looks about right. 17-4 with some quality wins and 3 of our losses were against ranked teams but the losses were so bad. I would put us in the 12-15 range.

Jimbob Walton 4 years, 3 months ago

High Key though for people to honestly think Bill Self should be fired is an abomination to Kansas Basketball. #11goingon12 #toughness

Richard Duran 4 years, 3 months ago

I wanna know how we fell 3 spots. I love seeing Duke down.

Fred Davis 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm a little late to the discussion - but I don't think Bill Self is any less the coach he was in 2008. But here's what everyone misses...

No Joe Dooley. No Danny Manning.

And you replaced them with Norm Roberts and Terence Howard. That's akin to going from Kirk Hinrich and Nick Collison to CB McGrath and Jeff Carey.

Dooley was Self's Right Hand Man, he was the muscle, he never smiled, hair slicked back - he gave KU an edge on the bench. And oh by the way he's a damn good basketball coach and hellacious recruiter. Norm can recruit, I'll give him that, but he doesn't bring the same attitude Dooley Has. Dooley's absence has been sorely missed.

And Terence Howard vs. Danny Manning. One's a Legend at KU. The other one is best known for being the KU asst. busted for pot. I'll leave it at that.

A big part of what caused KU Football to slide under Mangino towards the end was he lost good assistants and did a poor job replacing them. I'm not saying doom and gloom for Self, but the assistant coaching is the biggest issue no one's talking about.