Originally published November 23, 2015 at 10:43p.m., updated November 23, 2015 at 11:57p.m.

Bill Self: NCAA ‘working on’ Cheick Diallo eligibility case

Kansas forward Cheick Diallo gives a playful shove to teammate Wayne Selden Jr. before tipoff on Monday, Nov. 23, 2015 at Lahaina Civic Center in Lahaina, Hawaii.

— It appears there was some progress regarding Cheick Diallo’s eligibility case on Monday.

“The only thing I know is our athletic director was contacted (by NCAA) today that they are working on it,” KU coach Bill Self said after the Jayhawks’ 123-72 first-round Maui Invitational win over Chaminade in Lahaina Civic Center. “That’s all I know concerning that situation,” he added.

That could be considered a positive sign considering the KU athletic department hadn’t heard from the NCAA since sending the organization 19 points of concern about the case on Nov. 10.

Asked to elaborate on his disappointment level regarding the delay in a ruling for the freshman forward from Mali, Africa, Self detailed his frustration but stopped short of simply blaming the powers that be at the NCAA.

“I don’t know exactly how policy works or who oversees what. It is disappointing that no one has stepped up to the plate so far,” Self said.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self on 51-point win over Chaminade and latest with Diallo

KU coach Bill Self on 51-point win over Chaminade and the latest with Cheick Diallo.

Download podcast

“If you talk from a macro-level, from 30,000 feet, it’s very hypocritical for coaches to say it’s the leadership’s problem. Everybody that works in an organization that big hires people and has policies in place under them that people are supposed to work towards and fill the obligations of whatever the job responsibility is. That’s what’s frustrating. I can’t say it’s leadership, because that would be hypocritical, because I don't believe it’s coaches’ faults totally when somebody in the academic department or the training department or the weight room commits a violation and the head coach is totally responsible for that. We do what we can to oversee, but you can have people underneath you that may not carry out the assignment the way it was supposed to be carried out.

“I don’t (put) any blame on the leadership, because if I did then I think that’d be very hypocritical. I think the bottom line is there's some flaws in policies and certainly the lack of partnership is the thing that's most frustrating with Cheick.”

— See what people were saying about the rout during KUsports.com’s live coverage

More news and notes from Kansas vs. Chaminade

By the Numbers: Kansas 123, Chaminade 72

By the Numbers: Kansas 123, Chaminade 72

Comments

Joe Ross 3 years, 12 months ago

It's about damned time.

Not only does a decision need to be made in short order, but it needs to be rendered favorably. What the NCAA has done and is doing is unconscionable.

What a sham!

Dale Kroening 3 years, 12 months ago

Agree Joe , finally ..... Kinda find it ironic that the guy in charge is the former W. Virginia AD who put in Huggins contract a $25,000 bonus anytime they beat KU . Could be just coincidence , but sounds fishy to me....

Reggie Flenory 3 years, 12 months ago

The ncaa is full of self serving hypocrite and I look forward to the day when someone serves them a big slice of humble pie

Rodney Crain 3 years, 12 months ago

No law suits, let the NCAA work on this without any distractions. Its hard enough to get somebody to do their homework, let alone interupting them. :)

Aaron Paisley 3 years, 12 months ago

The NCAA has been "working" on Diallo's case since this summer. Unless someone from KU is actaully in Indy looking over a compliance official's shoulder, I don't believe anything is getting done at this point.

Joe Ross 3 years, 12 months ago

Well I do. And for the obvious reason that Kansas has blackened the eye of the eligibility center. There has been public criticism of the NCAAs handling of the Diallo situation outside of the University already. Since people now know that the eligibility center has contacted Kansas in the aftermath of these very public revelations, the understanding--within context--that the NCAA is "working on it" means that their efforts are being ramped up to come to a resolution. If it means anything else you can expect the public outcry against the NCAA by those very same critics (and by the University itself, for that matter), to grow exponentially.

The NCAA does not want that.

John Fitzgerald 3 years, 12 months ago

I hope you're right Joe, but I fear the NCAA doesn't give a rats pajamas what anyone thinks.

Dale Rogers 3 years, 12 months ago

I disagree with that, John. There are a lot of people employed there including the top guys making big bucks. If this gets out of their control, the universities could band together and the NCAA either becomes history or a housecleaning takes place. These people don't want to lose their jobs anymore than you or I do. Well, I don't care, I'm retired. But you know what I mean.

I really think they see the handwriting and they hear the rising crescendo of discontent and realize they either fix this thing and do it quickly or they may soon be history. At least I hope they are smart enough to see it.

John Fitzgerald 3 years, 12 months ago

Again, I hope you're correct. But I still fear they don't care. Not saying I think they don't care or have proof they don't care, I just fear they don't.

David Kemp 3 years, 12 months ago

This decision needs to be done before the holiday. If not should consider that a deliberate shun by NCAA. The Pfizer 160 billion dollar merger didn't take this long to approve. At that point I say file the lawsuit.

Gerry Butler 3 years, 12 months ago

this poor young man, hasn't done anything wrong, but yet he is the one getting punished. He made an A & a B in the 2 summer courses he took while at KU. He is close if not being on the honor roll at Ku is what was said last night, he speaks 4 foreign languages fluently and yet they question him. Coach Self says the 2 individual firms we are working with say that his core classes DO meet all the college requirements, Coach Self says he has 16 core credits just from OUR SAVIOR high school, little lone back from Malli, and yet this kid continues to have to sit and wait. How is this fair? Like it has been stated multiple times the longer this goes the worse it looks on the NCAA. Last night Fran F. made a statement saying he normally doesn't really get into dealings with the NCAA, but yet with this he said how poorly the NCAA has handled this case, It is going public, viral big time. Jay Bilas has been all over these guys, Dick Vitale ditto, & now Fran plus ESPN is all over it too. Agreed none of these guys can change things but they can let their voices be heard, the more outcry the more pressure. How much longer will Cheick be denied doing the thing he loves to do- - - -play ball, come on ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

John Hampton 3 years, 12 months ago

Totally agree with your sentiment here Gerry.

I have a side question though. Do you use voice recognition to make your replies? The reason I ask is the phrase "Let alone, ...." is coming off as "little lone". I've seen this a couple of times. "Little lone" a phrase no where in English. Have a good one.

John Strayer 3 years, 12 months ago

I do have to disagree with Coach Self...it is a leadership problem. Unfortunately, that is part of being a leader of a larger organization...you're responsible for everything under you. That's why you put policies and processes in place. Those give you the tools to manage the organization without have directly knowledge of everything below you. Those policies and procedures are what protect you, by giving leadership the tools to discipline those below them. BTW...I learned all that in my Business Organization classes I took at KU back in the 1980s. Part of my degree requirements.

John Boyle 3 years, 12 months ago

Unfortunately a lot has changed since the 80's. No one is responsible for anything anymore. It is always someone else's fault, or my mommy didn't hold me enough or she held me too much, or my dad was never around or he was too much of a disciplinarian. Sorry, I got a little off topic there. Have a nice day everybody.

Joe Ross 3 years, 12 months ago

I agree with you John. Somebody has GOT to be responsible for this.

Brian Anderson 3 years, 12 months ago

I think Self, with his comments, was criticizing the post-2013 strict liability type rules about coaches and their programs under which ignorance is no longer a defense.

Dale Rogers 3 years, 11 months ago

Having been in that position prior to retirement I am fully aware that sometimes your staff do not perform to your expectations. But you do not sit there and make excuses for them. You address that problem and you, along with they, come up with a solution. You set a target. In this case it appears the only target is to "clear the student-athlete by beginning of the season when possible." That target is not a bad one but the approach to arriving at that target needs to change to allow the athlete to play until proven guilty. Then the onus is fully on the NCAA to perform in order to avoid having athletes playing who should be ineligible. It also removes the damage done to athletes who, in the end, are determined to have been eligible all along but could not play while the NCAA shuffled their paperwork. The NCAA also needs to evaluate all related procedures for value, for efficiency, for effectiveness, and for impact.

Kristen Downing 3 years, 12 months ago

They are like the IRS. Kinda scary to take on, layers of people to blame and answerable only to a committee of people fearful of repercussions toward their own concerns.

Micky Baker 3 years, 12 months ago

Given the time the NCAA has had to work on this matter, there should be a decision by game time this evening. It shouldn't be this difficult to determine. Big 12 officials should also be working with the NCAA on this matter.

On a final note, to keep this concise, whoever is responsible for this matter at the NCAA should be reprimanded with at least a suspension and a warning to not do it again. Communication is extremely important regardless of what kind of organization it is.

Ashwin Rao 3 years, 12 months ago

I am afraid this will be another Cliff saga... Poor guy left KU, and no decision was reached. This is indeed a sham.

Dave Cook 3 years, 12 months ago

my 2 cents. I feel the NCAA has completely negated their responsibility to do this in a timely manor and at this point, with the public outcry, they should be obligated to close the case and make him eligible to play immediately. There is no credibility with this organization and at this point have no right to question anything with this kid. I also feel policies need to be in place to protect any future athletes from having their futures put in limbo with what is clearly irresponsible adults who fail to take their jobs serious.