Originally published March 25, 2014 at 02:35p.m., updated March 26, 2014 at 12:38a.m.

One not done: Wayne Selden to return for sophomore season at Kansas

Kansas guard Wayne Selden pulls up for a late three against Iowa State guard Naz Long on Friday, March 14, 2014 at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri.

Wayne Selden — who was listed as a likely first-round pick in the 2014 NBA Draft by various analysts for much of his freshman season — tweeted on Tuesday that he’s putting off the pros for at least a year.

“Want to let Jayhawk Nation know, I will be returning for my sophomore season! Can’t wait to get to work & get back in the fieldhouse,” Selden, a 6-foot-5, 230-pound shooting guard from Roxbury, Mass., wrote on Twitter shortly after 2 p.m.

He typed those words hours after making a morning phone call to KU coach Bill Self.

“Wayne contacted me this morning and said he was getting annoyed with all the speculation on whether or not he was going to return to school next year or not. He said, ‘What do I do?,’ and I said, ‘If you feel comfortable with everything, tweet it out,’” Self said. “I told him to make sure you are sure. Of course, he is sure.”

The McDonald’s All-American, who had no comment on his future after Sunday’s season-ending loss to Stanford, averaged 9.9 points and 2.7 rebounds for the 25-10 Jayhawks. NBA sources have told the Journal-World that he would have been a likely second-round pick in the 2014 Draft, though some analysts still believe he might have been included in the first round.

“Wayne had a terrific freshman year and he is just going to continue to get better. He’s excited about the opportunity for himself to get better and also for our team to improve and be stronger next year. He’s excited about the role he will have,” Self said.

“We’re very happy about this, but it comes as no surprise. Wayne has never led us to believe anything other than he was committed. If the timing is right and when the time is right and it’s time for him to make a decision for whether he stays in school longer, we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it. Certainly he’s on board with being a Jayhawk in 2014-15,” Self added.

Asked if Selden might be shifted to point guard in the future, Self said: “I don’t know. We’ll have to wait and see how everything plays out.”

Self said there was “no timetable” for freshman center Joel Embiid to announce his future plans. He and Andrew Wiggins are expected to be battling it out with Duke’s Jabari Parker for the top spot in the 2014 Draft.

“I hope I can have a chance to do some postseason meetings (with players) before I leave to go to the Final Four,” said Self, who has given the Jayhawks the week off. “We do not have a set pattern on what is going on yet.”

Self said he is not taking the week off.

“Probably not. We’ve got some recruiting stuff we’ve got to do,” he said. “Unfortunately we are not working on what we want to work on this week. Certainly there are some things we need to get done before we kick it in for recruiting in April.”

Asked to give a final comment on a season in which KU went 25-10 and won a 10th straight Big 12 regular-season title, but also lost in the Round of 32 of the NCAAs, the Jayhawks’ 11th-year coach said: “It was good. We obviously didn’t play as well the last five or six games after Jo got hurt (KU went 3-3 in its last six games with Embiid out of action because of a stress fracture in his back).

“I’m not saying it was the biggest reason and I’m not making excuses, (but) we weren’t the same after he got hurt as we were before. Tarik (Black) did a great job. Other guys played very well at times. When it counted the most we picked a bad time to shoot it the way we did and not perform very well.

“I’m proud of a bunch of kids who tried real hard and hopefully when we are in this position again we’ll respond favorably.”

Comments

Bryce Landon 6 months, 1 week ago

Wise decision, Wayne. You were as much a no-show as Andrew in the NCAAs; you need a shot at redemption.

If only Andrew wasn't so blinded by the Benjamins being dangled in front of him...

Ron Prichard 6 months, 1 week ago

There is absolutely nothing that has been said to make us think Wiggins is "blinded by the Benjamins" in making his decision to go pro. The fact is, he has nothing to gain and everything to lose if he comes back. If you listened to him after senior night, it sounded like he really enjoys KU and would love to come back. However, his draft status can only drop. Nothing, and I mean nothing, he could do next year would improve his draft status above where it is now (top 3, likely #1). Additionally, ever since he was younger, everyone has expected this out of him. He was cast as a OAD long ago. How hard would it be for an 18 year old kid to go against everything and everyone's expectations and come back. Yeah, the money does mean something, too, but Wiggins' family doesn't need the money like some other families. He could stay if it was just about money. But it is about much, much more, and I think it is totally unfair to call him greedy. Expectations can be extremely powerful, especially when you are talking about a teenager.

Mike Crosbie 6 months, 1 week ago

You're talking about a teenager...yes, and expectations he made himself when he declared he would go to college for one year...long before he got here. To me, when a kid says I'll come to your school but only for one year, he is bringing a thinking of me not the team attitude. There was a lot of attention during the tourney comparing freshman heavy teams with experienced teams that have seniors, and the experience wins more than not. Call me old fashion but I would rather HCBS recruit COLLEGE kids...who want to be student athletes and part of a TEAM that's bigger than the individual and help them to grow as a person and athlete over four years....let the greedy me fist one year players go to Kentucky !!!

Pam Goad 6 months, 1 week ago

Even if there aren't ego issues with one-and-dones (and that did not seem to be a problem with this year's team), there is the issue of overall team chemistry that gets better and better with time, not to mention the fun of watching players (like, say, my favorite Jayhawk last year - Travis Releford) grow and get better over time.

Pam Goad 6 months, 1 week ago

So glad Wayne Selden is staying. I love that guy's hustle!

John Randall 6 months, 1 week ago

The expectations that bothered Andrew most were his own. It is difficult for any of us (fans) to accurately fathom teenagers' feelings about themselves. It is even more difficult for that 18-hr old himself as it changes each week, each day, and every game time minute. Maturity comes when it comes, not always when we want it to, or when we need it to.

Best wishes are the only positive contributions we have to give, however rabid or immature we are ourselves.

So … best wishes, AW#1, WSjr, Joel, Perry, 'mari, Naadir, Connor, AWiii, Frank, Landon, and most of all Tarik!

Walter Bridges 6 months ago

Hell..I thought Selfie just gave him the job anyway! Never yanked like other freshman..not even a leash.

Jim Jackson 6 months, 1 week ago

Wiggins was expected to be the no.1 pick of any draft, post the 2003 draft (we'll see how it turns out this yr) and that includes next year's draft as well. So, how does he have everything to lose if he returns? The most important contract is your second contract in the NBA, that is where you make the most of your money, not the first.

Anthony Steen 6 months, 1 week ago

My thoughts mirror yours about the 2nd year contract. The way to maximize earnings over your career in the League (endorsements withstanding) is to have stats to negotiate your 2nd contract with. I'm hard pressed to think Wiggins will have the stats needed to land a giant 2nd contract, you know since he can't dribble, finish, or take a bump. The Wiggins camp will talk about potential while the owners will talk about production. Which leads me to my next point: The owners love the OAD because it costs them, collectively, less to "own" the players throughout their careers. My third point is, and this is pure speculation, I think Embiid knows this....his favorite subject is MATH after all. Prior to the injury I said we have a decent chance of keeping him, but with that scare, it might even over-power a mathematician's ability to reason logically.

darren martin 6 months, 1 week ago

AW may be projected to be this or that but he is not ready to play against grown men. how many times did he try that spin move this year and get it ripped from his hands??? unlessyou have a will to get better like kobe Durant Bron, you don't improve in the nba. they have shoot arounds not structured practices. the kids have to have be willing to work on there games themselves and some kids just don't do that . hope AW has the will bcoz he needs to get stronger physically and mentally. BMAC sure didn't do much this year and the kings are bad. until the nba quits drafting on potential kids will listen to how great they are and leave b4 they are ready.

Benz Junque 6 months, 1 week ago

Kobe Bryant wasn't ready to go against grown men his first year, either. He couldn't beat out Nick Van Exel for a starting spot. What's your point?

darren martin 6 months, 1 week ago

AW may be projected to be this or that but he is not ready to play against grown men. how many times did he try that spin move this year and get it ripped from his hands??? unless you have a will to get better like kobe Durant Bron, you don't improve in the nba. they have shoot arounds not structured practices. the kids have to have be willing to work on there games themselves and some kids just don't do that . hope AW has the will bcoz he needs to get stronger physically and mentally. BMAC sure didn't do much this year and the kings are bad. until the nba quits drafting on potential kids will listen to how great they are and leave b4 they are ready.

Jonathan Allison 6 months, 1 week ago

not to speak for Terry Lee, but I'd think you wouldn't need any business intelligence to take the pay day. Just a little common sense. However, returning for a second season wouldn't indicate that he lacked either, more just that he has a different set of priorities.

But me, in his shoes? My dream growing up throughout elementary school was to play for the Chicago Bulls in the NBA Finals. I didn't even care about college hoops till I was in HS and I knew beyond doubt that I would never be a professional athlete.

Joseph Bullock 6 months, 1 week ago

in the NBA, you want to be better,for your 2nd contract, not your first! you want longevity! that adds up to a lot more money, than just your first contract! I am a very successful businessman, and I know how a real businessman thinks. Wiggins needs another year in College. It was a bad decision by his family, to have him re-classify: but I'm glad he did, because he is a wonderful young man. but he is not physically ready for the NBA, and like I told people early in the season, his lack of ball handling skills, will end up being a problem, against well coached teams, with great, long, athletes! one more year, Andrew!

Walter Bridges 6 months ago

At Kansas? Does it get more elusive?

Thomas Michaud 6 months, 1 week ago

Love this news! Even before Wayne committed to KU, I've really impressed with his character and play. Looking forward to seeing this team next season.

Mike Riches 6 months, 1 week ago

Congratulations Mr. Selden! This is hands down the best move for Wayne! His game will dramatically improve with another year in the KU system! I love that he wanted to announce this so quickly, instead of drawing it out. This is a great example of a kid making a sound decision based on the long run, instead of grabbing some quick cash. Welcome back and Rock Chalk!

Benz Junque 6 months, 1 week ago

Agreed .Really, the ONLY thing that Selden has done to put himself on NBA Draft watch lists is be 6'5" and 225 pounds. His size at his position is his unique "skill". He did nothing on the court to warrant being talked about as an early entry in the NBA Draft. He was a decent college player last year, no better. I think that after two more years, he might have the actual skills needed to warrant talk about possibly being an NBA player but not before then. Next, I look for his improvement to bring him to being a good college player that might get considered for first or second team all conference.

But right now, no one in the NBA needs a guard that shoots 50% from the free throw line and a poor percentage from three.

Vernon Riggs 6 months, 1 week ago

'Party on Wayne' and Rock Chalk!

Len Shaffer 6 months, 1 week ago

Please. That's much ado about nothing. Yeah, they shouldn't have giggled, but they're freshmen and they were asked about a team they hadn't had a chance to find out about yet. Maybe it wasn't the brightest thing to do, but it's ridiculous to call it shameful.

Jeffrey Nelson 6 months, 1 week ago

The guy was asked a stupid question and he laughed. I don't see what's so shameful about that. You calling it shameful is shameful.

Tony Bandle 6 months, 1 week ago

"Stunning upset"???? When you've lost your tallest and best player and the team remains freshmen and sophomores, I'm not sure stunning is the word.

In fact, a number of us on this site felt that either Stanford or New Mexico was going to be, and forgive me for the pun, a tall order.

I guess the boys missed the first game Friday, because what I saw was that Randle, #5 was by far the best player on the court.

Ryan Sullivan 6 months, 1 week ago

If they knew a ton about Chasson Randle, who plays for a team that KU hadn't faced, would that not have suggested that they had been looking past Eastern Kentucky?

Wiggins had a great year, just had an off game. It was great having him for the 1 year. He doesn't need to stay another year.

Ryan Sullivan 6 months, 1 week ago

And to all of us spoiled-rotten KU fans...

KU had another great year, just an off game. Off on shooting and off because we were missing a very key player. The NCAA tournament is a crap shoot. Nothing but good teams, so when you have an off night shooting, have a bad match up, and are missing a key player...you can lose.

Rodney Crain 6 months, 1 week ago

An off few games the last part of the season really. 10 losses is not great either, I would call our season good. We were younger than we normally are, which is a big reason for a lot of this. Joel's injury a big factor too. 10 CC are very nice considering there were 6 other tournament teams there. Overall good season. Not being spoiled being realistic.

Benz Junque 6 months, 1 week ago

This was not a great year. Really the only good things about it was that we still won the conference and we beat Duke on a huge national stage to open the season. For the most part it was a very disappointing season.

Yonatan Negash 6 months, 1 week ago

I would have giggled too. I've never heard of Chasson Randle before the game, have you? The reporters question was based on assumption Wiggins and Selden knew or had heard of Randle.

Sam Constance 6 months, 1 week ago

Give me a break.

You know what it looked like to me? An 18-year-old kid who understands that saying anything that might be construed as dismissive or disrespectful to the other team at a press conference is a bad idea, but is embarrassed because he can't think of anything reasonable to say to a question about a player he honestly has no familiarity with. So he looks to his teammate for help, who looks back at him like "I don't know what to say either", and they both have a moment of immaturity and giggle about it.

When I heard about the story on the radio, they made it sound like Selden and Wiggins had been dismissive of the Stanford player, which was clearly not what went on there.

Robert Brown 6 months, 1 week ago

I think this is a good decision. Selden will have a great opportunity to demonstrate leadership and polish his skills. I am sure it was difficult for him to play in the shadow of Wiggins and, later Embiid. He will be the star and feature player next year, and I expect his game to improve immensely.

As I mentioned, it was difficult for me to get emotionally connect to this year's team. Next year will be different. It will be nice to see development and improvement from the many returning players next year.

Rich Hetherington 6 months, 1 week ago

1- Tharpe/Mason/Frankamp

2- Seldon/Frankamp/Greene/Tharpe (when playing with Mason)

3- Oubre/Greene/Ellis

4- Ellis/Alexander/Traylor/Mickelson/Lucas

5- Embiid (or Turner)/Alexander/Mickelson/Lucas

I tried to list all the various permutations we might see, but regardless, I'm really liking this mix of players for next year! Only catch is it will be crowded again and players like Greene, Mickelson and Lucas will struggle to get minutes, which could stunt the grown of those players, but that's ok because we'll be deep and I'm sure they'll all contribute in some way! RCJH! Welcome back Selden, glad to hear you are staying!

Mark Lindrud 6 months, 1 week ago

More and more hints are coming that White is leaving. Guess is will be a wait and see off season.

Rich Hetherington 6 months, 1 week ago

I think there's a very good chance he transfers, and really it would be best for him. I love the guy and he works his tail off, but there's just too much competition ahead of him. He's a talented player who will be a Junior and deserves some PT, but for that to happen he'll need to pursue other options. If he does decide to stay, simply add him at the end of both the 2 and 3 lines. There is also a good shot Seldon plays some 3 at least at times, which I didn't note above, but should have.

Walter Bridges 6 months ago

Turner/Lucus/Traylor at the 5 Ellis at the 4 ONLY. He is not capable at the 3. He will learn a lot from Cliff Alexander. Traylor will continue to improve and impress (the way we used to do it at KU) Oubre/Greene at the 3 Seldon/Greene at the 2 Frankamp starts over Tharpe (ENOUGH ALREADY)

If you're not an OAD or listed above..Go to med school or TRANSFER!

Len Shaffer 6 months, 1 week ago

Excellent news! One of the best things will be to see how good his defense is next year. He was already a solid defender, but could be a shut-down guy as a soph. I also imagine he'll spend a lot of time working on his shot in the offseason so that he can be more consistent.

BTW, to read this article I was asked if I'd been to a tractor supply store. Wouldn't that be a question better used on a KSUck site?

Mo Golany 6 months, 1 week ago

Glad Wayne learned from others mistakes. Josh Selby was a former #1 top high school player who didn't have a great season and went 40 something in the draft and is now playing in the D league and overseas! Wayne comes back he can be a lottery pick next year.

Eric TheCapn 6 months, 1 week ago

Ryan Zimmerman 6 months, 1 week ago

very enlightening reply there, Capn

Adam James 6 months, 1 week ago

So excited about what we have in store for next year and this class is most likely not finished. Even if we lose Embiid I feel confident that Turner will commit. My only concern is whether or not our coaching staff will sit down veteran players like Tharpe and possibly Ellis for guys that can give us more in the likes of production and toughness. I really think that AWIII, Frankamp, Greene can make huge impacts next year if given the chance. Hudy & even Self once mentioned that the greatest improvement happens between a players freshman and sophomore year. This said, if we still are seeing nothing out of Tharpe and even Ellis from a consistent confidence and production standpoint, we can't waste minutes on them being stuck in sand when young fresh/soph players can be busting onto the scene. This is what happened with AWIII this year. He somehow lost his opportunity to show how much he improved from a confidence and production standpoint cause he didn't get minutes. Assuming that the players below are what we have to work with, I would start the season with this line-up.

GUARD: Selden sub: Tharpe, Mason GUARD: Greene sub: Frankamp, AWIII GUARD: Ellis sub: Obre PF: Alexander sub: Mickelson,Traylor C: Embiid or Turner sub: Lucas

Super short leash on Tharpe, Ellis and let the budding fresh/soph bust out.

Non Factor: Garrett, Self, Manning

Joe Joseph 6 months, 1 week ago

Sit down Ellis... Are you kidding me?

Ellis was KU's second leading scorer on a team with tremendous talent. He is a sophomore who made significant improvements from his freshman year.

Dumbest post I've seen in a long time.

Mark Lindrud 6 months, 1 week ago

I could see Ellis being moved to small forward. Maybe our lineup is Ellis, Alexander, Embiid or Turner, Selden, Tharpe. Ellis even stated he's better suited for SF in the NBA.

Benz Junque 6 months, 1 week ago

There is zero chance of that happening for any anmount of the season other than a few minutes here and there when the match up warrants it. He isn't fast enough to play SF in college on a regular basis and only projects to SF in the NA because he isn't big nough to play PF. He's the textbok definition of a tweener.

Jeremy Wilhelm 6 months, 1 week ago

Yes, but he's a defensive liability, especially against big teams. I don't think it's totally preposterous to suggest his minutes be reduced some, even if it is highly unlikely. My hope for him is that he can work on lateral quickness and core strength so he's not so easy to cave in, in the post. If he can use his quickness to get open short range jumpers rather than trying to drive and get blocked (or throw up bricks) he'll be unstoppable, even against bigger players.

Adam James 6 months, 1 week ago

Joe- I agree Ellis provided a good scoring punch, but he lacks confidence in his great ability to shoot and consistently play with power down low. He could be off the charts good, but just lacking confidence.

Anthony Steen 6 months, 1 week ago

Ellis starts period. Yeah he gets beat-up down low, but he can dribble/pass/shoot as well as almost anyone his size. His old man game down low needs to happen faster. Yeah he's a liability on defense but he is also liable to go for 20+ on any given night. If it's a match-up issue put in one of your bruisers or move him away from the basket to drive their height. Ellis starts

Andy Kwong 6 months, 1 week ago

Awesome news! I look forward to Wayne improving his game next year. On a another note, I get just as frustrated as the next KU fan watching us loose games we should have won, but please remember they are still just kids. When you put down current and former KU players on our website, it looks really bad. I know Wiggins had a tough day against Stanford, but remember without him I guarantee we would not have won the Big 12 this year, yet people continue to beat him up. Also, if I were a recruit and see the negativity from some of our so called fan base I wouldn't come here.

Walter Bridges 6 months ago

Does he need to compete for the job next year? Looked like a freebie this year.

I will miss MR. Black after this comedy of whatever is finally laid to rest. Maybe Self will re-learn how to BUILD a team (start with a PG) and Senior night will be worth watching. But it looks as if the 2nd OAD invasion is on the way. Jump on in Myles! The water is great.

Josh Galler 6 months, 1 week ago

does this mean Andrew White III transferring?

Rich Hetherington 6 months, 1 week ago

I'm not sure it's unrelated. If Selden had declared, depending on what happens in recruiting, it could lead to AWIII actually having a spot for some PT. With Wayne staying, AWIII is simply too far down the depth chart to really see much PT at the 2 or 3.

Jonathan Allison 6 months, 1 week ago

So glad to have Wayne sticking around! What are the odds that Self gives him some work at PG during the offseason?

Joe Joseph 6 months, 1 week ago

Only way Selden plays point is out of necessity. Self has been brutally loyal to his upperclassmen point guards over the years. It will still be Tharpe's spot to lose. Frankamp and Mason will continue to back up Tharpe.

Greg Lux 6 months, 1 week ago

IMHO Frankamp is the future of KU at point guard. Tharpe for all his years has demonstrated he is not good under pressure and I don't see that changing from his Jr. to Sr. year. We can not afford another season of careless turnovers that kill our offense and ignite the other team scoring. Nothing against Tharpe he is at times a quality point guard but his inability to handle the pressure is the main reason this years team lost a number of games. HCBS will not let it happen again.

Harry Staley 6 months, 1 week ago

At my age (83) I'm sure that I look at things much differently than you younger people. The money is important, but not all-important. Andrew Wiggins strikes me as a decent, well-grounded young man from a good family. If I am right, he would move on to make a success of himself, even if he had no basketball talent. I would not attempt to tell him what to do, if he really felt that he wanted to go directly to the NBA. However, if there is even the slightest feeling on his part that he will miss the college experience and educational opportunity -- and, particularly the basketball opportunities at KU -- I would urge him to follow that sentiment and stay on campus. Barring an accident, and that can happen anytime, anywhere, he will be a star in the NBA, whether he goes next year or three years from now. He would certainly benefit in a basketball sense from the added experience, but he will never get back the college years he is thinking of giving up. Having said that, feel free to have at me!

Joel Hood 6 months, 1 week ago

Great post - thanks for sharing your perspective.

Suzi Marshall 6 months, 1 week ago

Very happy to hear this decision. I hope Selden puts in some quality time to improve his J.

If a Kane type PG cannot be recruited, I’d like to see Self try him out at the 1 from the start. If we have Embiid/Turner at the 5, it might be worth it to try Ellis at the 3 and Oubre and Alexander at the 2 and 4, respectively. To make that work, Ellis will need to work hard to develop his lateral quickness, a move that would help his NBA stock. They will ne our best 5 and Self always says we need to get our best players on the court. Another option is to make CF our PG. He will not be spectacular but will be steady and provide an outside threat.

Mike Riches 6 months, 1 week ago

A no frills, no spills PG is exactly what we need. I know it's a small sample size, but the last couple games Conner showed that kind of potential. I like his scoring ability just as much as Tharpe's, and his defense is much better. I know there's been talk since the beginning of the season to let Wayne play the point, but I'd be afraid there would be a pretty big learning curve there, verses letting him just continue to develop at the 2 where he could be dominant next year.

Benz Junque 6 months, 1 week ago

Frankamp can do well at PG against EKU and Stanford because they are as unathletic at guard as he is. Against better teams Frankamp will get torched on defense.

Robert Brown 6 months, 1 week ago

Suzi You always have the most insightful comments.

Aaron Paisley 6 months, 1 week ago

Why are people so obsessed with stretch 4's at the 3? We heard with Marcus Morris and now with Perry Ellis. IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!!! Perry Ellis does not have the offensive skill set to play the 3 and does the quickness to defend the 3. Playing Ellis at the 3 has disaster written all over it.

Rich Hetherington 6 months, 1 week ago

The only scenario I could see it working in is if Ellis, Traylor and either Embiid/Turner or Alexander were in the game. Embiid/Turner or Alexander would be playing the 5 in this scenario with Traylor at the 4 and Ellis at the 3... at least during our offensive sets. Then Perry could still match up with the other teams' 4, and Traylor could slide over to cover their 3 as he has more quickness and is probably better suited to do so. That's the only way I see 3 "bigs" playing together this season, and even then, only in rare match-ups where it could pose an advantage.

Aaron Paisley 6 months, 1 week ago

If Self never went with 3 bigs when he had Cole and the twins or T-Rob and the twins, I don't see him doing it now either.

Spencer Goff 6 months, 1 week ago

Glad he is coming back. Go with a three guard lineup of Wayne/Connor/Frank. Leave Naadir coming off the bench. If the kid from Nevada is all that and a bag of chips then insert him over Frank.

Ryan Michael 6 months, 1 week ago

So glad to hear he is coming back... He's got tons of raw ability. He didn't quite hit his groove this past year, but you could see flashes of brilliance. He's a gamer, a true competitor, and I think he's going to develop into a great leader even as a sophomore.

Thanks for giving us at least one more year to watch you in a Jayhawk uniform Selden!

Tony Bandle 6 months, 1 week ago

NO OFFENSE but why is everyone discounting Conner?? I was there...he showed me something a didn't see in any other KU guard. He was calm, cool amd collected, playing well, beyond his years.

I think he is our point guard of the future as well as a prime outside threat. Am I hallucinating? Have my years in the 60's finally caught up with me? Am I completely off base here?

Someone help me!!

PS Wayne, a truly good decision. Thank God!!

Mike Riches 6 months, 1 week ago

Totally agree on CF, even though it was only a couple games. It left me wondering why he hadn't played the point more this past season...I think he could totally be our starting PG for the next three years.

Ryan Michael 6 months, 1 week ago

I had been preaching it all season long. Give Conner an opportunity and the kid will not disappoint. Unfortunately some people only see "flash" in a PG. Frankamp isn't going to be super flashy. He's not tall, he's not super fast. So a lot of people will discount him as "not good enough". I say they are all wrong. Kid can ball with the best of them as he proved in the U17. He doesn't make mistakes, he doesn't do stupid one handed passes when it's not necessary. He shoots really well and can create his own shot off the dribble if allowed to.

That's all we need. A true floor general who moves the ball, doesn't turn it over, and puts in 100% effort all the time. I want him starting but my worry is that next year Self will give the job right back to Tharpe out of blind loyalty like he did this year. I want to see Tharpe get some minutes, but Frankamp should be the starter with Tharpe spelling him when needed. That's the way I see it anyway.

DaNeille Davis 6 months, 1 week ago

Connor reminds me of Hinrich...and look where he is?

Nick Hamill 6 months, 1 week ago

You've got to be joking. Hinrich is taller, quicker, and faster. More importantly he was a true PG, and in my opinion one of the best to play at KU. Connor reminds me of Hinrich in the fact they are white and are both good 3pt shooters. Other than that I don't see how you can compare the two, especially at this stage in CF's career.

Mick Allen 6 months, 1 week ago

Totally agree Nick. Kirk was a fantastic defender with his lateral quickness and reach. Dwayne Wade used to credit Kirk with being the best defender he faced. Conner can and will be valuable no doubt, but please hold off on the comparisons to Captain Kirk.

Jonathan Allison 6 months, 1 week ago

It's a fun comparison to try to make though. Kirk Hinrich was Conner's favorite player right?

Kirk Hinrich 1999-2000 - 5.5 PPG, 0.313 3pt%, 3.6 AST, 2.6 TO , 1.0 STL (21.4mpg)

Conner Frankamp - 2.5 PPG, 0.313 3pt%, 15total AST, 3total TO, 4total STL (8.3mpg)

If multiply Frankamp's stats by 2.6 to compensate for minutes played, then CF is at 6.5 points, 1.6 assists, 0.3 TO, 0.4 steals.

If Conner is to run point for 20+ mpg then it's concievable that he could have Hinrich-esque numbers offensively at least.

Hinrich's offensive efficiency seemed to peak in his junior year because he was asked to take on an increased offensive load as a senior (while he was still incredibly efficient his senior year, his junior year was through-the-roof). Defensively he was at his best as a senior, and in the NBA he has been effective because he is relentless and he will use any advantage that he can get. Defending on DWade throughout his career he has made his keep by playing a physical type of hands-on defense that isn't allowed in the NCAA anymore.

It will be interesting to see what Frankamp can do with more minutes. At times this season he was an effective defender staying on his man and chasing through screens and all over the court. The game is a little bit different with the freedom of motion rules this season, but time will tell what kind of player Frankamp will be.

The Hinrich comparison is lofty, but is a great goal for the young man.

Nick Hamill 6 months, 1 week ago

Jonathan Allison, be honest the only reason you are comparing the 2 is because they are white guards. Maybe I'm being negative, but I just don't envision CF developing into an elite PG like Hinrich was. Hinrich was an exceptional leader, passer, dribbler, and shooter. Plus he is stronger, faster, quicker, and 3 inches taller. CF will no doubt turn out to be a great player, but comparing him to Hinrich is simply ridiculous.

Jonathan Allison 6 months, 1 week ago

my post had nothing to do with race. Just numbers.

My initial though when I read DaNielle Davis' post was the same as yours and Mick's. It's easy for lots of people to compare white guards to other white guards, and I assumed the same thing. But I decided to dig a little deeper into the statistics.

Yes, Hinrich was an elite PG in college at KU especially in his final two years. But he's NOT an elite talent in the NBA, he's not the fastest, strongest, most athletic player at his position. He's effective because of his skill, his work ethic, and making smart plays. Conner Frankamp can be the same way. He is not as big and not as athletic as Hinrich was, but he can be effective because of skill, ethic, and smarts. And who knows what a few years working out with Andrea Hudy could do for Frankamp's quickness and strength.

And please let me point out that neither DaNielle nor I made said anything about anyone being white. That's all you and Mick, brother. Let's keep the discourse civil and make meaningful comparisons and contrasts.

Maybe you'd like to toss in your favorite comparison for Frankamp?

Mick Allen 6 months, 1 week ago

Come on Jonathan please don't read too much into my " Well they are both white". It was intended only to point out to Danielle that at this time that was the only similarity between Conner and Kirk. How did that tongue in cheek comment make the conversation any less civil? My intent was to point out that it was way premature for her to state that Conner was the next Kirk. At some point, at least offensively, it might become a valid comparison but not now. Please don't feel the need to lecture me on political correctness. Kirk is also an "elite" NBA defender and still a starter for the Bulls.

Nick Hamill 6 months, 1 week ago

I really wasn't trying to put you or your post down, I understand you are just speculating and having a little fun with it. So here you go. I would compare him more so to Jeff Boschee than Kirk Hinrich. Again, this is based off the fact that he is white (lol, jk). It's based off of how I see CF progressing. I just don't see him developing into a true PG. I see him more as 2; feeding off a true PG and knocking down 3's, a lot like Boschee did. Mainly, I compare him to Boschee due size, speed, and athletic ability.

Rodney Crain 6 months, 1 week ago

Thanks DaNeille, that's was pretty funny.

Shawn Otrimble 6 months, 1 week ago

We have to realize fellow Jayhawkers, This year could of went any direction but thanks to the great coaching and recruiting we have become spoiled rotten. I for one have played college basketball and I really appreciated this effort given by this years team. No, they didn't get the defense part up to Self's standard and struggled against zones, but face it....no returning starters, hardest schedule in college. Look at what Kentucky did last year with a similar situation. (they got bounced in the first round of the NIT). I would say that this years crop over achieved by winning the 10th straight Big 12 title. Yes it would of been great to see them advance to the sweet 16, but realistically we didn't deserve a 2 seed anyway. Wiggins was a real joy to watch this season and with his defense and athletic ability he will be a star in the NBA in 3 or 4 years. And if Embiid stays we will be awesome next year. I saw a lot of potential in Conner towards the end and once the game slows down a little more to him, he will be competing for the starting PG next year. Rock Chalk my friends.

Kevin Jenkins 6 months, 1 week ago

Great news. The kids making the right decision and who better to help him. So many different scenarios everyone has. I remember some of our earlier point guards who weren't very big so try Mason or Conner next year. Let Tharpe come off the bench. I think Ellis will try to improve next year, he is a bright kid. With Cliff coming and Traylor improving. Lucas looked at times Omay. I think we have pretty good guards with Greene and White if he can convince Self otherwise. I think the future looks good for KU.

Luca Rossi 6 months, 1 week ago

Great news! I'm happy for you Wayne. Jayhawk nation can't wait to see you back out on the court and bringing home that 11th in a row. Who knows, maybe 2015 will be the year to hang TWO banners! Having Wayne back certainly helps those chances.

Also, I don't think its right for anyone to claim to know what is the best decision for the young men facing these nba decisions. Everyone has their own unique circumstances and I'll always support our players with their choices. However I can speak from my own experience that my college years were the best of my life. Strong bonds were formed with my teammates that resulted in friendships that will last a lifetime. Aside from the crazy fun parties and gorgeous ladies, this is also a time where you learn how to handle responsibilities and come away with life lessons that will help you become an adult. I feel pretty confident that if you polled the audience here, almost everyone would love to have had another year of college, especially if it was paid for. I certainly would!

Congrats again Wayne, Rock Chalk!

Joe Joseph 6 months, 1 week ago

I'm going to call it here first: people are sleeping on Hunter Mickelson. The loss of Embiid (it's happening people) creates a huge hole in the middle that Traylor, Ellis, and Alexander simply lack the length to fill. Lucas is solid, and hopefully continues to develop, but is slow. Mickelson - a proven shot blocker - has the size (6'10) and and is more nimble than Lucas. I expect him to have a very solid season next year.

Mick Allen 6 months, 1 week ago

As I stated 2 months ago I have seen him practice and people will be pleasantly surprised by his coordination, ability to run, touch and shot blocking ability. He does need to get stronger, but Hudy will work on that. I agree with your assessment Joe.

Jonathan Allison 6 months, 1 week ago

Thanks for the insight. You were right about Frank Mason, so I'll take your word on Hunter. Bill Self Basketball Camp is just 3 months away, can't wait to hear more about his skills from the camp games.

Nick Rushton 6 months, 1 week ago

Thanks for coming back Wayne and giving us something to smile about! You can't wait to get back to the fieldhouse and neither can we! Hope you like running point!!!

Steve Jacob 6 months, 1 week ago

Glad he is staying, but this is not about redemption. If he was a lottery pick he would be gone. Too many players leave early that don't get drafted. Myck Kabongo left Texas to go undrafted and currently scoring 9 PPG for the Austin Toros.

Andy Tweedy 6 months, 1 week ago

I love this dude's game, absolutely love it! If the doubters would stop to think about where his achievements rank in terms of Kansas freshmen, I'm quite sure they will stand quite well! We all know how much players improve under Coach, I believe he's gonna be a beast next season.

greg robinson 6 months, 1 week ago

Wayne, Thank you. This makes my day!

Doug Merrill 6 months, 1 week ago

Jonathan I believe you are wrong. This very much increases the chance that AWIII will transfer. The position was and now will remain too crowded for him.

Jonathan Allison 6 months, 1 week ago

Many fans on this site seem to have declared AWIII gone a long time ago, as though he'd already made up his mind to transfer. If that were the case, then Selden coming back wouldn't matter one bit to AWIII's decision.

If, as you and I assume, White is currently considering a transfer, then Selden's decision would most likely be a factor (unless his decision is between transferring out or staying and redshirting, which is less likely, but not implausible).

So maybe Selden's return is not totally unrelated to AWIII's decision, but since AWIII's decision has no factor whatsoever on Selden's decision to return, then stating that Selden's return MEANS that AWIII is going to leave would be very wrong.

I've stated my case on AWIII many times. I think that he's a tremendous young man and a great asset to the team. I think that he can really impact the program as a fourth and maybe even 5th year guy. His decision to transfer is a tough one. He could transfer and almost guarantee that he'll play impactful minutes at another school as a junior and senior, or he can stay at Kansas and work hard for one of the best coaches in America practicing against some of the best talent in America and wait for his turn that may or may not happen.

Look at roster depth at his position, Selden's a likely early entry next season barring injury. I would consider Oubre to be a two year guy at KU. Brannen Greene probably a 4 year player, but possibly a three year player. IF AWIII stays and plays then he's in an uphill battle for PT and with this season as a barometer Self has placed AWII behind BG. So AWIII would be a longshot to play barring injury or some other unforeseen event with someone else on the team.

IF AWIII transfers within D1 which he should because he belongs in D1, then he'll have to sit a year. Another option would be to stay at KU and sit a year. But Self is not going to stop recruiting the top tier talent at the wing position. So even after Selden and Oubre are gone there very well could be someone else come in and play.

If he does stay and sit a year that doesn't necessarily mean that he's putting all of his eggs in one basket. He still could graduate early and be a senior 1 and done at another school.

AWIII seems like a very serious guy and very committed individual. Too many people are ruling him out already as a transfer. He seems grounded enough to possibly block out fan perception or media influence from his decision, but really it should be his personal decision whether he continues his education at KU or elsewhere, and I'd hate for the fans or journalists to help him to decide to leave.

Rodney Crain 6 months, 1 week ago

Great decision! Work on that J Wayne!

Ian Emerson 6 months, 1 week ago

Here is the deal. Bigger bodies bother Ellis and they will continue to do so in the future so the logical choice for Coach would be to play him more around the perimeter because he is also a very good shooter. That means a hybrid 3 because he can also take it in the post when necessary.

1 - Naa , Frank , Conn 2- Wayne , Greene, Andrew , Conn 3 - Perry , Kelly , Greene 4 - Cliff , Jamari 5 - Jojo, Landon , Hunter

If we had a reliable point guard this would undoubtably be one of the best starting 5's of all time.

Ryan Michael 6 months, 1 week ago

It doesn't make any sense at all because of his defense. Ellis didn't just have trouble against bigger guys at the 4, he had trouble staying in front of guys. Move him to the 3 and watch how fast our bigs pick up fouls trying to play help D.

I do love Ellis's game, and I hope he improves his defense in the off-season... That being said, I just don't think he's got the speed to play defense at the 3.

Shane Johnston 6 months, 1 week ago

My thoughts, too. Now we could swing Perry at the 3 if Self went zone a little more. Wait for it...hahaha

Ron Prichard 6 months ago

If you're waiting for Self to play more zone, you're going to be waiting a long, long time.

Beau Woolsey 6 months, 1 week ago

I think a Cliff/Joel frontcourt would just be too dominating to not utilize.

Adam James 6 months, 1 week ago

Ellis is a unbelievable talent, but he lacks confidence. I really think he could be a great defender and move his feet well enough, but he reacts too much because he is thinking too much. It always appears to me that he hesitates at both ends of the court. He could no doubt be a big time player for us, but as I stated before he needs to have a short leash next year if the confidence isn't there. If it's there keep giving him minutes.

Margaret Schadler 6 months, 1 week ago

Did anyone else hear Shaquille say he thought our one ands and most of the rest should stay in school another year or two?

Ian Emerson 6 months, 1 week ago

But here's the thing with people sayin defense will be a problem. How exactly are you going to finish at the rim when both cliff and Jo jo are protecting the basket an paint? It's the perfect safety net.

Joe Baker 6 months, 1 week ago

Let's get Embiid for another year before we start making plans for defensive schemes.

Tony Bandle 6 months, 1 week ago

AAHH, Joe, it's OK...we start talking about recruits for the future season on opening day of the current season.

Remember what I said...KU does not rebuild....we don't even reload...we just pick up the next loaded rifle and keep on firing!!

Beau Woolsey 6 months, 1 week ago

I think perry will either move to the three or lose his job to cliff. Cliff is man among boys. Self wouldn't not utilize a front court of 6'10 7'. Few nba teams can even offer that.

Matthew Pyle 6 months, 1 week ago

Who says Cliff is 6'10? He's listed at 6'9 which means he's probably more like 6'7 (see Thomas Robinson). Dwight Howard is a legit 6'10, that comparison is absurd.

Ian Emerson 6 months, 1 week ago

While Jojo was being compared to Hakeem I've heard similar statements about Cliff being compared to Dwight Howard.

John Boyle 6 months, 1 week ago

Why? Does he suck from the free throw line?

PS Don't attack me, it was just a joke.

Pun Mak 6 months, 1 week ago

I can't see Ellis at small forward. He's a stretch 4 in the NBA but doesn't have the handle or face up game to play the 3. I see self going to his old ways of starting experience over youth so Ellis start and Alexander of the bench. Kelly o is going to be great for ku. He's thin but long athletic and can handle the ball. He might not be an explosive scorer but he can be better fit than wiggins was

Joe Joseph 6 months, 1 week ago

I actually think Perry does have the handle. He had a better handle than Wiggins most of the season. Perry was at his best when he was driving opposing bigs.

Mick Allen 6 months, 1 week ago

Alexander will start, not come off the bench. He is HCBS's alpha male.

Ian Emerson 6 months, 1 week ago

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he stunk it up from the free throw line haha. Infact I would be more surprised if he didn't

Beau Woolsey 6 months, 1 week ago

Dwight Howard is only 6'9 without shoes fun fact.

Alan Mills 6 months, 1 week ago

Selden has made a wise choice. If only Wiggins and Embiid did the same, but cannot blame them for leaving. No upside to staying for either of them, other than more strength and longer pro careers (see Wright, Henry, and Selby). With recruits already coming, and possible others, the Jayhawks will again have a strong squad with a high ceiling. The only question, as we all saw all year, will be the point guard position. Either need to find one or develop one from within. On that note, I saw somewhere that Mason was mentioned as a "2" playing the point. Watching him shoot all year, cannot believe he was every a "2" projection in college. Frankamp is clearly a 2. Tharpe...not really sure, but proven to be a poor alternative at the point. So, why not Selden?

Dale Rogers 6 months, 1 week ago

Julian Wright's problem had nothing to do with when he left college. His probably was he wouldn't listen to the NBA coaches. He felt he knew better what is good for himself and therefore that is what he was going to do. There were numerous articles about his run-ins with various coaches over that attitude. In other words, Julian Wright let his ego torpedo his career.

Selby let others who stood to gain from his NBA checks persuade him as to what is "best" for him. Look where it got him. That's one young man who, had he stayed in school, might well be starting out on a very lucrative and long NBA career.

Henry let his Dad persuade him that he should leave. He is now doing reasonably well but struggled his first few years. I wonder how much better he would be now if he'd spent another year or two in the college system.

Matthew Pyle 6 months, 1 week ago

The assumption that college makes them better is bogus. Selby and Henry are playing far more basketball and against better competition than they ever would have seen at KU. The fact is they just aren't that great of players.... Henry got his payday and will likely hang around the NBA a few more years. Selby was awful at KU and he has been awful in his failed NBA attempt.

Beau Woolsey 6 months, 1 week ago

Wiggins and Embiid are nothing like Selby and Henry. Henry is having a pretty good season for the lakers and the biggest difference is teams have traded away players and plunged there teams into historic loss totals(see 76'ers) just for a chance at wiggins.

Matthew Pyle 6 months, 1 week ago

Agree 100%. They are much better players. That should be obvious. Henry had to leave or he would have seen his draft stock plummet. Selby is just an idiot.... he had no business going pro after the season he had a KU. Apparently everybody knew it but him and his handlers. Embiid on the other hand could stay and likely not affect his draft position one iota (barring major injury). He's a top three pick everyday all day.

Bryce Landon 6 months, 1 week ago

Speaking of recruiting, Bill, how about recruiting some point guards who can actually run the team.

Walter Bridges 6 months ago

Like SHOOT, PASS, DRIBBLE. SCORE?

BINGO!!

Ian Emerson 6 months, 1 week ago

It's not that he doesn't try, elite point guards just don't wanna come to our system.

Matthew Pyle 6 months, 1 week ago

Sherron Collins? Tyshawn Taylor? I don't know what you consider "elite", but I'd take either one of them in their primes over any of the guards in the tournament.

Dale Rogers 6 months, 1 week ago

Good move for Wayne, good move for Kansas!

Ian Emerson 6 months, 1 week ago

Those guards became elite after years of schooling. How would we ever recruit a freshman or transfer as good as tyshawn or sherron were. And FYI Senior year Tyshawn was the best point KU has ever seen.