Monday, December 22, 2014

Owls destroy No. 10 Kansas, 77-52

Kansas guard Frank Mason III, struggles for a turn-over during the Jayhawk's game against the Temple Owls Monday at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, PA.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self explains 77-52 rout at hands of unranked Temple.

Bill Self explains 77-52 rout at hands of unranked Temple.

Download podcast

TEMPLE 77, KANSAS 52

Box score

Things started ugly and stayed ugly in Philadelphia for the Kansas University men's basketball team, which fell to Temple, 77-52, on Monday night.

Tenth-ranked Kansas (9-2) turned it over 13 times in the first half, struggled to get any rhythm on offense throughout the game and watched Temple play with growing confidence and great precision throughout the night.

Temple led by 10 at halftime and built its lead to as big as 30 before the end of the game, as the Jayhawks shot just 33 percent for the game and made just 7 of 13 free throws, which had been a strength for this team of late.

The Jayhawks hit 7 of 19 three-pointers (37 percent) and were led by Frank Mason I’IIs 20 points and got nine points and seven boards from Kelly Oubre Jr..

Freshman Cliff Alexander, who started, finished with just two points on one shot attempt.

Here’s a quick look back at some of the action:

• The game turned when: The Jayhawks could not crawl any closer than six in the early minutes of the second half. After trailing by double digits for most of the first half, and by 10 at halftime, KU quickly cut Temple's lead to six points out of the locker room, but the Jayhawks failed to capitalize on that quick start and Temple, almost as quickly, pushed its lead back to 10 and never looked back.

• Offensive highlight: There weren't many, but KU did have three and-one opportunities in the first half on buckets by three different players. All three makes came on strong takes to the basket, but the Jayhawks missed the bonus free throw on each try. It was just that kind of night for KU.

• Defensive highlight: With just under 4 minutes to play in the first half and KU still trailing by double digits, Alexander took matters into his own hands and played tough man-to-man defense on Temple's Obi Enechionyia in the half-court. Alexander kept Enechionyia about 12-15 feet from the bucket and would let him no closer. As the shot clock wound down, Enechionyia tried to elevate over Alexander, who rose to challenge the shot, rejected it with his right hand and corralled the rebound. The sweet swat immediately led to an easy bucket by Perry Ellis on the other end, and allowed KU to hang around.

• Key stat: Temple shot 58 percent from the floor and got pretty much anything it wanted on offense after the opening five minutes of the game.

• Up next: After going their separate ways for Christmas, the Jayhawks will return to action at Allen Fieldhouse on Dec. 30, when they'll take on Kent State at 7 p.m.

— See what people were saying about KU's blowout loss during KUsports.com's live game blog.

More news and notes from Kansas at Temple

By the Numbers: Kansas blown out at Temple, 77-52

By the Numbers: Kansas blown out at Temple, 77-52

Comments

Richard Duran 7 years, 1 month ago

Temple: lots of juniors and seniors. KU: rebuilding... again. Nuff said.

John Randall 7 years, 1 month ago

Ugly, rotten, putrid.

looked bad

fell to pieces

smelled bad

Janet Olin 7 years, 1 month ago

Embarrassing. It's acceptable to be bested; it's unacceptable not to show up at all. It pains me to agree with the announcer who said Temple came to play and KU came to watch. What I can't stomach is our players standing around watching the other team play and look like they aren't interested. Regardless of talent level or experience, it costs nothing to hustle on every play--rebound, dive for loose balls-- act like the game matters. I wouldn't be angry if they lost but played hard.

Bryce Landon 7 years, 1 month ago

It's one thing to get dismantled by Kentucky; it's something else to get dismantled by Temple.

Larry Renbarger 7 years ago

And it's another to get dismantled by your loyal fans. What loyal fans.

Mike Barnhart 7 years, 1 month ago

Everybody played like Perry plays most of the time - uninterested, unmotivated, uninspired... unwatchable!

Jerry Walker 7 years, 1 month ago

Agreed Janet.

Coach Self has usually been able to put a team on the floor that gives the effort on defense. This team has yet been able to prove that they can get in a defensive crouch when guarding the ball and stay in a defensive crouch when guarding away from the ball. It's all about effort...something this team has failed to buy into.

When they buy into that philosophy we'll be dynamite. Until then, schitt happens like tonight. I'm betting they figure it out...if not...there will be some disappointed guys with splinters in their butt.

kellerman411 7 years, 1 month ago

I have a theory about Bill Self, and that theory doesn't ignore the fact that he's a hall of fame coach who has forgotten more about basketball than I've ever known.

I don't think Bill places a high level of importance on developing his player's ball skills at all. I'm not talking about Chris Paul ball skills, I'm talking dribbling, passing and catching. Brannen Greene could not dribble a ball in a gym by himself for 5 minutes without going off his foot. I think that as a coach you kind of look at the kids and when they're out on their own playing pick up games and working over the summer, all they work on is offense. So when you get them, you feel the need to focus more on defense and teach them how to run a structured offense. That has won Bill a crap load of games but I just think college basketball is moving away from that. You have to be able to play in isolation. If your guys can't play off the dribble, you can't hardly win. .

Look at Andrew Wiggins. His handle went BACKWARDS here at KU, and that's not a bash on the coaching staff. It's just not what we spend our time working on.

Look at college football, 3 or 4 years ago NIck Saban could have cared less about offense. No one could score more than 10 points on his defenses so it didn't matter. That has changed now with the evolution of the video game offenses. The same thing is happening in college basketball. Offensive players are becoming too skilled and polished to try and stop no matter how disciplined your defense is. Also, the rule changes around how you can defend haven't helped KU at all.

Eh, what do I know.

Steve Zimmerman 7 years, 1 month ago

You're not alone. I've stated my concern in recent past, as a fan. couldn't agree more with you. Not trying to bash or anything, but we look really slow and so darn predictable with that 'feed the bigs', hi-low offense. This doesn't mean to take away credits from the Owls. They're quick, physical, and like you said, almost everyone of them knows how to handle the ball, ie. dribbling. Anyway.. rebuilding has a lot to do with that, too. perhaps, we should not be ranked that high in the first place.

Larry Renbarger 7 years ago

So how many practices have you showed up for to develop your "theory"? How many team meetings?

Michael Sillman 7 years, 1 month ago

I know that Self is the future Hall of Fame coach but when you are down to a single quick guard and Temple is shredding your half court man to man defense, don't you try something else?

At least until Graham gets back, I think Coach needs to consider installing a zone as a change of pace.

Kristen Downing 7 years, 1 month ago

Could not agree more. A zone defense could have collapsed on the the Owls that were driving willy nilly on us down the middle. They would have still made their threes, but our under the basket defense is pathetic

Bert White 7 years, 1 month ago

Wow at using 3 missed free throws as the "Offensive highlight" of the game... Truthfully there was little good (aside from not hearing about a "platoon" swap during this blowout)... But I would have went with Frank Mason getting 20 points as the highlight, even though the rest of his stats were pretty ugly he atleast showed up on offense.

Still wondering what this team would have been like with Conner Frankamp and Andrew White on it....

Ian Emerson 7 years, 1 month ago

I will never understand how some of our fanbase operates sometimes. We have a 9-2 record with the one of the hardest if not THE hardest schedule in the country. What is everyone complaining about? We just played a game 2 days ago and its the last game before christmas break. Didnt Coach also say Perry was sick? Chill out. We seriously lose an away game right before christmas break and everyone questions Bills coaching ability?

Lance Cheney 7 years, 1 month ago

It's not that we lost, it's HOW we lost.

Bryce Landon 7 years, 1 month ago

I was gonna say, this team seems hell-bent on rewriting the record books for largest margins of defeat.

Clarence Haynes 7 years, 1 month ago

We just don't have the bigs that we are accustomed to. Thus the inside outside game has not been as effective. Time to come up with some options to reflect the players and their skill sets. Along these lines, I think that most teams have Ellis' number on his down low play. Not to suggest that he abandon this but he's capable of doing other things offensive. It is time to make an adjustment on Ellis' options.

Jerry Walker 7 years, 1 month ago

I'm not questioning the ability of Coach Self.

I am questioning the player's commitment to his coaching. This team is, yes, extremely young and I believe that two hugely embarrassing loses will hit them squarely in their manhood.

When this very talented team realizes the effort and machismo that is required of Jayhawks...look out.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 1 month ago

Other than Mason, nobody gave a damn about tonight and had already mentally boarded their planes home for Christmas. December 26 is going to suck to be a KU basketball player.

Allin Herring 7 years, 1 month ago

If the starting five for tonight continues we are in real trouble for the rest of the year. Bill please stop trying to get one and doners because the ones you get just can not cut it! I hope Cliff and Kelly are studying real hard because they need 2 to 3 years experience. This is the worst KU team If have seen in 25 years!!!

Bryce Landon 7 years, 1 month ago

The worst KU team in 25 years? You talk as if we were 2-9 and not 9-2. Yes, the two losses are by large margins, but in your disgust with the team's putrid performance, you are blowing things out of proportion.

Allin Herring 7 years ago

Besides Utah we have not exactly beat any real power houses this year. This team is weak and slow has no bigs and can not play defense (though they may be better playing zone but we will never see that), and have 2 more OAD's that play like 4 years players and have been beaten by 20 or more points twice before the conference season starts! Yea they are the worst KU team in 25 years!

Tyson Ailshie 7 years, 1 month ago

Last year's team was not that great either. Embiid masked a lot of it. Also, the team the year before that lost to TCU. But, the memory of tonight's game for me, which I'm really hoping won't be my lasting memory from this year, was Ellis missing on a layup, going for the rebound and falling down hard on the court. This team is softer than pillow down.

Bryce Landon 7 years, 1 month ago

Dear Jayhawks,

You didn't just leave a lump of coal in our stockings, you defecated in them. Merry effing Christmas, and thanks for nothing.

Sincerely, KU fans the world around

Ian Emerson 7 years, 1 month ago

Thats an absolutely disgraceful comment.

Mark Lindrud 7 years, 1 month ago

I've had a chance to get caught up and seen KU games. I've got a few things:

1. Our lack of an inside game is detrimental against who we are. We are ipad inside out, high low offense, which Lucas and Mickelson don't strike fear in opponents. Unfortunately, Alexander is out of position at the center position.

2. We will live and die by the success of our outside game this year, which means either Greene, Svi or Selden must be hot from the outside.

3. We will lose every time if we have turnover issues like tonight.

4. Graham needs to be healthy soon because he gives us another ball handler.

5. Self needs to consider various zone defenses or at least mix up our defense, which I'm aware he doesn't do a lot.

6. I'm not sure what's the deal, but the times I've seen people comment and reply to one another there's been some ugliness. I know I've had moments in the past which I plan to rectify, but life is short, and I learned that all too well recently with my military experience recently. I'm here for a short time. This game was ugly, but let's not get ugly woth one another.

David Gisi 7 years, 1 month ago

That game was so bad it broke my TV. It just got delivered last week. After the game the screen went blue and it won't do anything else. It is a Smart TV, perhaps it has feelings too and took offense at some of the things I yelled at it. Then just shut down like the Jayhawks did.

Bert White 7 years, 1 month ago

I just went through TV hell the past month, 2 shipments from Amazon arrived broke and had to be returned before even getting to use them. Switched brands and delivery method and finally got one that worked but I didn't watch the last game because I don't have Cox/Time Warner so this was the first game I got to watch on my nice new TV. By halftime I was wanting to send it back for being tainted... But evidently that's not a valid reason to switch TVs again to them :-/

Tyler Capone 7 years, 1 month ago

I was at the game and was the lone Jayhawk fan in a section filled with Temple fans..I was so embarrassed watching them play. When Evan Manning, Landen Lucas, AND Hunter Mickleson are in at once you know Bill has given up on the starters

Larry Renbarger 7 years ago

You're all so easy to rile. We've got about the best record in basketball around over time. We've got PROVEN coaches with an unproven team. You seem to believe they should win every game, every year. Nutz! If you think the team that played Temple is the same team that will play through the year you're more nutz. This may not be a top 10 team, but wait until next year if no one gets drafted. I see them sweet 16 this year barring season ending injury. Next year they take it all. You fair weather fans go root for Missouri.